• Published 7th Jan 2016
  • 15,602 Views, 953 Comments

Integration - Darth Link 22



Changes are coming to two different worlds, whether anypony, or anybody, is ready for them or not.

  • ...
23
 953
 15,602

Ponies VI

Dear Luna,

I apologize, but it seems that I will not be returning tonight. Something big has happened. Twilight has discovered the existence of SMILE and FROWN. And as I have no doubt this will make you greet me with smile and an “I told you so,” she was not happy. However, I’m pleased to tell you that we have mended rather quickly and are back on good terms. Still, I want to spend some time with her tonight. If absolutely necessary, I’m just one response away.

Tia


Dinner that evening ended up being a bit tense. While the fight between Twilight and Celestia had been resolved, Starlight was still nervous dining with the High Princess of Equestria. Despite Twilight’s assurances that the Sun Princess was nothing but kind, there was still an edge of stiff politeness to her words.

“So, Starlight,” Celestia said, hoping to break the ice. “How have your studies come along? Twilight tells me that you're advancing very well.”

Starlight jumped a bit at that. “Um, it’s going very well, Princess Celestia. I’m learning so much about how the old governments work, like how the Stonegrif government failed...”

Celestia tilted her head a bit. “That’s great, I’m glad to see you’re learning so much. How are you doing on magic?”

“Very good. I can levitate almost three times as much as when I started. I can also write different things with two different pencils at once now. Plus, Princess Twilight has taught me all the Eleven Basic Fundamentals of Magic, and now she’s teaching me more of the history.”

Celestia let the small child ramble on a bit. “That’s wonderful. I’d expect no less from someone Princess Twilight picked as her student. I knew you’d be exceptionally clever.”

The little filly blushed a bit. “Well... I’m not that great.”

“What on Gaia would ever make you think that?”

Twilight had her wing around her charge. “Yes, why are you worried about that? I told you, you’re a special little filly.”

“Well... you told me a few days ago, how you all got your cutie marks on the same day...”

Now Celestia understood. “Are you upset you haven’t received your cutie mark yet?”

“Well, Princess Twilight said she got hers on the very day she became your student.”

“Sweetheart, if you remember, I also said that there were plenty of foals there without their marks too. There’s no shame in not having one yet.”

“But... Princess Twilight was chosen as your student because of her cutie mark, wasn’t she? Because she had a cutie mark in magic.”

“No, Starlight, I was chosen because of the large magical burst I unleashed.” Twilight paused a moment, then turned to her mentor. “Wasn’t I?”

Celestia was quiet for a moment before she spoke. “Yes. Yes I did. I take it the doubt was due to finding your mark on the Tree of Harmony, wasn’t it?”

After a pause, Twilight nodded. “I guessed when I saw it, you must have known Harmony chose me.”

“Your mark was not on the Tree when Luna and I first laid eyes on it.”

Now Twilight gaped. “What?”

“Long ago, during the First Reign of Discord, when the two of us first stumbled upon the Tree, It had a much different shape, and our cutie marks were not on It. As we approached, Harmony brought us onto Its plane to ascend us. When we returned down, our new cutie marks had appeared on it.”

“Wait... new cutie marks?” Twilight asked.

At that, Celestia turned pink. “Oh yes, I never mentioned that before, did I? This wasn’t the cutie mark I received as a foal.”

“You never told me that!” Twilight said. “It wasn’t always the sun?”

“No. Back when I was an Earth Pony, I was a schoolteacher. My mark was a graduation cap, one so different from the caps we have today that you would scarcely recognize it.”

“A schoolteacher... you mean...”

“Twilight, I didn’t start my School for Gifted Unicorns entirely to cultivate the best wizards as I’ve said, I did it because teaching has always been my passion, my special talent.”

Twilight smiled. “So this other you being a principal... it lines up with your true special talent...”

“That’s correct. I must admit, I envy her in a way...”

“So that’s something that lines up... although the Celestia and Luna in that world are sisters by blood, instead of it being a bond, Sunset checked... there’s so much about the connections that still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if I could interview a few more...”

“Twilight,” Celestia said, causing the purple Alicorn to stop and blush. “Let’s stick to one topic at a time, alright?”

“Yes, of course, sorry,” Twilight stammered.

Starlight giggled, causing Twilight to blush even deeper. Celestia just smirked. It was gratifying to see that, in some ways, Twilight was still that same eager to learn filly.

“After I took you on as my student, I traveled back to the Tree of Harmony, and was relieved to see It changed shape to your cutie mark. Harmony must have already decided you were worthy to receive the Element of Magic. After you brought Luna home, we traveled to the Tree together, and saw your friends’ cutie marks now on It. We were so pleased.”

Twilight smiled, but it vanished as a thought occurred to her. Celestia realized that was when Twilight had thought of a question. “Cadance’s mark wasn’t on the Tree...”

“Yes... that we don’t understand. The circumstances surrounding your sister-in-law’s ascension are certainly unprecedented. She was so young, and while what she did was certainly amazing, it seems to pale compared to what you accomplished before Harmony transformed you. It has remained quiet on why It chose to do so.”

Twilight rubbed her hoof on her head. “So many unanswered questions...”

“Yes, I know. But I think one of your earliest Friendship Reports was about accepting the limitations in your understanding. Even I don’t understand everything this world has to offer.”

Twilight gave a small smile. “So you see? You weren’t predetermined to be an Alicorn. Harmony merely sensed your potential, and I decided to help guide you there. You made your own decisions, Twilight.”

“But... you called being a princess my destiny.”

“That’s true. But I suppose I’ve let the true meaning of that word get muddled in my vocabulary. We make our own destinies, Twilight.” Then, she reached out a hoof and rubbed Starlight’s mane. “And you will too, little one. Rest assured, I know you’ll find your calling.”

The small filly smiled.

There was a little more talk before Starlight asked to be excused. Once she had left, Celestia smiled.

“That little one. She really is a curious child, isn’t she? Still so concerned with how the world works.”

“Don’t remind me,” Twilight said. “I’m walking a fine line with her. I’m so scared...”

Celestia brought a wing around her former student and pulled her close. “Welcome to motherhood.”

Twilight’s cheeks burned, but for once she didn’t try to deny the claim. “I wish she would learn to just be a filly. I want her to be happy, she’s too young to be worried about all this.”

“Is she?” Celestia asked.

“Well... maybe not. But she needs to just enjoy herself.”

Celestia only nodded. “Never any easy answers.” She was silent for a moment. “Have you talked to your mother and father lately?”

“Not since Sunset came for her visit,” Twilight said. “There’s been too much going on for me to visit them, and I thought it was best for them not to be here when my other self comes through.”

“Because she lost her parents?”

Twilight nodded. “I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t appreciate it. We’ve asked that the other Applejack’s parents remain on Terra for the time being for the same reason.”

“I see. And are you sure there’s no other reason you haven’t talked to them? Are you maybe worried to tell them...”

Twilight winced. “Well... maybe. I’m not sure how to tell them...”

“I’ve already discussed it with them.”

At that, alarms went off in Twilight’s head. She looked at her second mother with wide eyes. “What? But... why?”

“Twilight, we discussed it at your coronation. When you were off with your friends, parading in the streets, we were in my study. I told them what your immortality would mean, and they understood the need for what I proposed. They want you to have ponies that will be there when they cannot be. They want you to have a family.”

Twilight felt flustered. “They... aren’t upset?”

“Well... maybe a little,” she said. “No parent likes to share their child. But they want what’s best for you first and foremost.”

Twilight smiled. “I... wow.”

Celestia looked like she wanted to say something else, but she pushed it down, instead saying, “And they are hoping you come and visit again soon. And that you bring their grandchildren along.”

Twilight could only snort. “So they can spoil them rotten again? Please. When I was there on my week-long visit, they stuffed them so full of sweets, I was afraid their sugar rush was permanent. And ordered them pizza for every meal. And took them to five theatre shows. I swear, it’s like they waited until they got rid of me to be this wasteful. I was never spoiled that much.”

“...Twilight, I had you on a two-thousand bit stipend from day one, and the servants waited on you nearly as much as me.”

“...Wait, I had a stipend that big?”

“Of course. Don’t you check your bank account?”

“I lived in both the palace and the library for free, and I got all my supplies for free. I only ever bought clothes and food. And after I moved to Ponyville, Rarity supplied all the former, and Pinkie and Applejack supplied the later. The only other thing is Spike’s allowance, and I always just set that up to be half of my stipend.”

Celestia smiled. “Of course. Still, I’m hoping that after Sunset and this other you visit this weekend, you’ll have your parents back up for a while.”

Twilight nodded. “I will... if I have time. Re-arranging S.M.I.L.E., remember?”

“Well... maybe I can get Luna or Cadance to do that.”

“No... no, we’re all overloaded in these duties. I need to do my part too. Give me my share of the work, I’ll work around it... or at least, Calibri will help me work my way around it.”

“...If you insist. I just hope you won’t let these duties overtake you like you did with your schoolwork so long ago.”

“That won’t happen. But I have a feeling we’re going to be busy for a long, long time.”

“All part of being a princess,” Celestia said. “There’s a reason I cut you out of a lot of it in those first two years. I wanted you to enjoy your last bit of free time.”

“I still manage to make time for all my friends,” Twilight said. “Even the ones back in Canterlot. I offered Moondancer Calibri’s job, but she turned it down. She didn’t want to uproot after making friends again.”

“Reminds me of someone,” Celestia said, causing Twilight to blush.

“How did Applejack take the news that the other her’s parents were alive?”

Twilight was silent a moment. “I don’t know how to answer that. She seemed... conflicted. Like she didn’t know how to feel. She walked off after I told her. When I saw her next, she acted like nothing happened. I couldn’t think of any way to ask her about it, so I kept quiet. I figure she’ll tell me when she’s ready.”

Celestia nodded. “Yes. Yes, that’s probably for the best. So I take it keeping the parent Apples away was your request?”

“Yes. I thought it for the best until Applejack gets her thoughts in order.” Twilight looked down. “Maybe I should confront her on it. I guess that’s one more thing I’m not sure doing right.”

“That’s the burden of leadership.”

“So what do you do when it feels like too much?”

Celestia tightened her wing around her adopted daughter. “You remember you’re not carrying your burdens alone.”


Applejack came in from a long day in the fields, washed up in her bathtub, and joined the family for dinner.

She was surprised to see Rainbow Dash at the table. It wasn’t unusual for the Apple Family to have a guest, but the cyan Pegasus was uninvited. Still, nopony minded, and soon the entire family was eating and conversing as usual.

Then Apple Bloom dropped the question Applejack had been dreading to answer. “So, what have you an’ the others been workin’ on?”

The middle Apple sighed. “Apple Bloom, I told ya, I can’t tell you anythin’ we're doin’. Not for a while, anyway.”

“Come on, I won’t tell anypony!” she begged.

“Apple Bloom, mind yer sister,” Granny Smith scolded her.

The little filly looked ready to open her mouth, but a stern glare from Big MacIntosh made her go quiet. The little filly pouted, moving her alfalfa on her plate.

“I ain’t tellin’ you anythin’. Not because I don’t trust ya, but because I literally can’t. Princess Celestia made me sign a magical contract sayin’ I wouldn’t.”

“I hate those contracts. You used to tell me everything.”

“Well, I just can’t now. I reckon’ even little Starlight had to sign one.”

“She did,” Apple Bloom muttered. “She can’t tell me nothin’.”

Rainbow Dash just smiled. “Looks like I’m not the only one who’s been bothered by their little sister.”

“You too, huh?”

“You kidding? Scootaloo really wants to know. Won’t shut up about it. Cute kid, but she can get pretty grating sometimes.”

And they’ve been bothering Twilight everytime they come over for Twilight Time,” Applejack said, looking at Apple Bloom with disapproval. “That’s really not somethin’ you should be doin’ to her, especially with how much she bends over backwards to still have time fer ya.”

Apple Bloom actually looked ashamed at that. “I know... but I just really want to know.”

“Well, you need to learn not to push Twi. She’s got a lot on her plate right now, she don’t need anythin’ else pressurin’ her.”

“Okay.”

“That gal needs to get out more,” Granny Smith said. “She’s nice enough, but she spends so much time all cooped up.”

“Granny, Twi has a lot of important work to do...”

Rainbow Dash grinned. “Least she’s got that stallion to cuddle with.”

At that, the table erupted in surprise. Rainbow Dash clamped her hoof over her mouth, and Applejack glared at her. Apple Bloom, however...

“Really? Does she really have a coltfriend?”

“..Yes. And we weren’t going to tell anypony,” Applejack said through gritted teeth, while Rainbow Dash sunk down in her chair, looking unusually meek for her.

“...Darn.”

That got everypony’s attention, and they looked at the youngest at the table, who blushed. “Um, well...”

“Apple Bloom, you weren’t thinkin’ of doin’ any more of yer matchmakin’, were ya?” Applejack demanded.

Big Mac tensed up.

“Well... Cheerilee didn’t work out, so we thought maybe Twilight would be a good match fer him...”

“Apple Bloom!” Applejack said.

“...That wouldn’t be a bad choice,” Granny Smith said, rubbing her chin. “You sure Twi’s committed to this stallion?”

“Granny!” Big Mac actually cried, earning a laugh from the youngest pony.

“Yes, we’re sure,” Applejack said.

“Well, what about Fluttershy? She seems like a fine match...”

“Granny!” Applejack said. Big Mac looked like he was trying to make himself ten sizes smaller.

“What? I ain’t leavin’ the mortal coil until I see some great-grandbabies!”

“Can we just drop this?” Rainbow Dash said.

The Apple Family actually stopped and looked at the Pegasus, who flushed a bit. “What? I don’t want to hear Granny Smith try and get you dates, okay?”

“Mmm... I guess in front of company is a bit tactless,” Granny said.

There was a small silence before Apple Bloom spoke again. “So Twi really has a coltfriend? What’s he like?”

“We’ve never met him,” Rainbow Dash said, getting back into things. “He might be made up, like your coltfriend from the Crystal Empire.”

Apple Bloom blushed as the others snorted. “Scootaloo told you, huh?”

“That’s why ya shouldn’t fib,” Applejack said. “Ya just look foolish.”

The young Earth Pony fumed and looked at her plate.

The rest of the dinner passed in the usual conversation, on just about everything but dating. After it was over, Applejack led Rainbow Dash outside. The Pegasus knew what was coming, so as soon as they were out of earshot of the others, she spoke up. “Okay, look, I know what you’re going to say, and you’re right. I should have been more careful about saying Twilight was dating...”

“Yer darn right, you should have,” the cowpony said. “Honestly, you know Twilight’s gonna get no peace from the nobles the moment it’s announced she’s seein’ somepony. I don’t want to bring that on her a minute sooner than she has ta.”

“I know, but your family can keep a secret.”

“Yeah, well I’m going to make Apple Bloom swear that up and down when I tuck her in tonight,” Applejack said.

There was a moment of silence before Rainbow Dash spoke up.

“Have you decided what you’re going to do about... you know.”

Applejack flinched as if she was hit. None of her friends had confronted her on this yet, but it was still obvious what she meant.

“What else can I do? I’m gonna have to tell them there’s still a version of our parents alive somewhere. I can’t keep it from ‘em forever...”

“Surprised you haven’t told them about it already. I thought this might interfere with the whole ‘Element of Honesty’ thing.”

“It is hurtin’ me a bit, but I ain’t keepin’ anythin’ from them for nothin’. I just... don’t know how to tell ‘em. It ain’t gonna be pretty when they know.”

“Well, they’re going to know sooner or later. And I don’t think there’s ever going to be a good time to tell them.”

“Yeah, I know... I guess even I can stop turning to the truth when it gets hard.”

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “I haven’t always been the most loyal either. The little baking competition incident was proof of that. Nopony expects us to be perfect.”

Applejack grinned. “How’d Scootaloo take knowing you were blood in that other world?”

“Well, she freaked out a little knowing the other version of her parents were dead, but she thinks it’s the coolest thing ever. Not that I can blame her.”

That only made Applejack grin more. A few years ago, Rainbow Dash would have meant that completely seriously. Now, the hint of playfulness in her voice made all the difference.

Unfortunately, this new growth came with the ability to see when Applejack was trying to change the subject, as well as the ability to hide that she was doing so.

“I’ve talked it over with Scootaloo’s parents, and they'd like to meet this other her eventually. We were talking about having a family dinner like Twilight did with this other her. So... do you have any plans like that?”

Applejack tensed, and mentally cursed her friend. “I... I don’t know. Twi says that they won’t actually be my parents. She says the other Twi is different enough from her, and she says this other Flash ain’t like Captain Flash. I have no reason to think this version of Jonathan and Jonagold are the same as the ones who...” Applejack choked. Rainbow Dash put a wing over her.

“...Maybe it’s like pulling off a bandage,” Rainbow Dash said. “You need to just do it and get it over with.”

“I keep tellin’ myself that.”

There was an uncomfortable silence for a few minutes. Applejack could tell her friend was trying to decide if she should keep pressing the matter. Just as she was about to speak and try to change the subject, Rainbow Dash spoke and did it for her.

“You hear that Fire Streak is getting ready to retire? I might be a full fledged Wonderbolt soon.”

At that, Applejack grinned. “Great. Then we’re never gonna get you to stop braggin’.”


Starlight sat on her bed, her textbook opened in front of her. She was supposedly studying, but she had read the same page five times and hadn’t absorbed any of the knowledge. There was so much bouncing around in her head she could hardly concentrate.

“Princess Twilight is indeed a wise ruler, and she knows Friendship, but she’s young compared to even me. She doesn’t know her full self yet. She doesn’t think she’s good enough to be a mother, even though she’s already been a great mom to Spike.”

Aunt Cadance’s words rang through her mind as she thought back on everything. Twilight not being able to help Diamond Tiara, the fact that she was clearly hiding something...

What was she going to do?

Twilight doesn’t really know what she’s doing... why am I learning from her?

Twilight has been the first pony besides Sunburst to show her any kindness. She had saved her from that horrible orphanage and gave her a family. She had the chance to become something great.

So I’ll end up like Sunburst? So I’ll abandon everything I care about?

Twilight had her read up on governments and history. She learned the growth of ponies. She learned how every generation at least tried to avoid the mistakes of their ancestors. She learned of what seemed to be a never ending struggle. Wars fought, marches made, and civil liberties fought for. Things took a turn during Equestria’s founding, and an even bigger turn after Celestia and Luna took the throne.

”But if Celestia and Luna have been ruling for over a thousand years, why hasn’t everything been fixed?”

Twilight smiled at her student. “Starlight, despite what several ponies think, they aren’t gods. They aren’t the Daughters of Harmony, as many ponies claim. They’re mortal, and even they can’t be everywhere at once, and for a thousand years, it was just Celestia. They have had to delegate tasks to other ponies, and there have been cases where they trusted the wrong pony.”

Starlight thought for a moment. “Have they gotten better?”

“Of course they have. Celestia and Luna have made mistakes like any other ponies.”

Starlight had read about those mistakes. The disappearance of Sombra and the Crystal Empire, allowing Tirek into their midst, and the one that shocked her the most, the rise of NightMare Moon. Princess Luna became corrupted and tried to plunge Equestria into darkness for eternity.

And then, after all of that, she had been allowed back on the throne.

Why? It made no sense! Why just forgive and forget? Why allow someone so dangerous next to you.

Why were people still loving Princess Luna?

”Oh, she had trouble,” Twilight said. “Her first NightMare Night back, she had to face a lot of ponies afraid of her. But she rose above it and grew into a better pony.”

“Why was NightMare Night even allowed to go on?”

“Princess Celestia allowed NightMare Moon to fall into mythology to give ponies a chance to forget. By the time Luna came back, it was like a fairy tale come to life. It made it harder for ponies to connect her crimes to real life. Do you understand?”

Starlight nodded. “It would be like telling ponies Ahuizotl was real, right?”

“...Yes. Yes, exactly like that.”

Starlight blinked at her mentor’s odd behavior, but pressed on with her line of questioning. “So does that mean that Princess Celestia just let Princess Luna get away with what she did?”

“Of course not. Princess Luna had to spend a millennium on the moon. That was her sentence. Think of it this way: last week, when I caught you up past bedtime sneaking cookies, and told you no dessert for a week, what happened when it was all over?”

“You let me have dessert again.”

“Of course. I gave you a punishment, and when it ended, it ended. Do you understand?”

“Yes princess.”

Starlight thought long and hard about it. She couldn’t get these meetings out of her mind.

She loved Princess Twilight like a mother, even if the Princess didn’t want to be her mother. So why couldn’t she just listen to her?

Maybe it’s because she isn’t as great as she says she is. She is friends with a pony who nearly plunged Equestria into eternal night.

But she was a princess... she wouldn’t be one unless she knew what was best. Right? She felt her mind shift back to another memory.

”Hold still, Darling,” Rarity said, touching up the hem of the dress. “Just a little longer, and you can be the prettiest filly at Twilight’s summit.”

Starlight stopped fidgeting, but she was uncomfortable. She just wanted to go back to playing at the schoolyard.

“Who knows? You might even meet a charming stallion!”

Starlight blushed. “I don’t think I will.”

“Oh, don’t be so hard on yourself,” Rarity said. “You're a very pretty filly.”

That just got Starlight to blush even harder. “Have you met a special somepony at these meetings, Miss Rarity?”

“Oh, Darling, I’m afraid I haven’t had the same luck.”

“But I heard Miss Fluttershy talk to you about meeting Prince Blueblood. What was that like?”

Rarity flushed, clearly having not expected the filly to have overheard the matter. “Oh, well... Blueblood was a bit unprincelike...”

“What do you mean?”

“Well... he was unpolite... rude... boorish... insufferable... arrogant... a total royal pain!”

“Rarity,” Twilight’s voice cut through her ranting, causing the white Unicorn to stop. The Princess was entering the room, giving her friend a look. “I know you had a bad experience with him, but could you not teach my student to talk bad behind another’s back?”

Rarity blushed. “Yes, of course. I apologize, that was very unlady-like of me.”

So... this Blueblood was a prince even though Rarity said he didn’t deserve to be one...

So how do I know any of them deserve to be one?

Any further thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. “Starlight sweetie?” Sunny called through the door.

“Yes?”

Sunny opened the door, peeking your head in. “It’s bath time. Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight are bathing in the castle’s general bath house, if you want to join them.”

“Okay, I will.”

She hopped off the bed and walked out, Sunny following her down the halls. It didn’t take them long to reach it.

Twilight had a private bath house for her and any personal guests, but she often used this one, in an effort to build camaraderie with her workers. And indeed, she was already sitting in the largest tub with Princess Celestia, who was working her former student’s mane into a fine lather.

Starlight stopped, seeing the large Alicorn was unexpected. Still, Twilight was there, and that always made her happy. She almost ran for her, until she remembered the rules and walked. Twilight perked up at seeing her.

“Hello, Starlight,” Twilight said, holding out her forelegs. Starlight pulled the ties out of her pigtails, setting them in a small cubby near the pool. Once the little unicorn was close enough, Twilight snatched her up and lowered her gently in the warm water.

Like her mentor before, Twilight dampened Starlight’s mane, then rubbed the shampoo into it, stopping only when Celestia rinsed her own mane.

It was heavenly. At the orphanage, they all shared one tub, and while it was kept full with warm water and it served their needs they well, it was hardly as luxurious as this. Having that personal care was just another thing she always wanted, and never imagined how good it would be.

“I’m sorry I had to cancel our lesson tonight, Starlight,” Twilight said as she rinsed her mane. “There was something incredibly last-minute that came up.”

“I understand, Princess.” And she did. No matter how much that voice in the back of her head told her otherwise, all her studying told her that running a country was a big job. Missing a lesson once in awhile was unavoidable.

Twilight smiled. “You’re a good student, Starlight,” Celestia nuzzled her. The little one giggled.

Then she looked at Celestia and noticed a warmth on her face. “Princess?”

“I’m sorry, Starlight, but seeing you like this just reminds me of when Twilight was your age. She was so sweet.”

Twilight blushed. “Mom...”

“I can tease you all I want.” She ruffled the pony’s hair. “Those were good times.”

“Well, these times are even better.”

Celestia smiled at her fellow princess’s optimism, but said nothing.

Starlight floated on her back in the warm water, letting herself drift. This was one luxury she never could go without again. The orphanage never let her take as long as she wanted. Here, she could just soak and relax.

She saw Celestia nuzzle Twilight again, and this time really looked at the ancient Alicorn’s face. There seemed to be a some underlying sadness in it.

It was at that point that Starlight realized how surreal the scene was. Princess Celestia was older than any other pony, even surpassing Luna by a few years. There were history books detailing how she had taken on armies and lived.

And yet, here she was, sitting in a bath like any other pony, coddling another pony like she was still a child and looking... sad? Guilty? What?

Remember Rarity’s rant? Who to say she’s not qualified, either? Everypony puts royalty on a pedestal, maybe they’ve done the same to Celestia. Maybe nopony ever had the courage to stand up to her.

She pushed those thoughts back. She didn’t want to think of them.

The rest of the bath passed in casual chatter. Eventually they were finished. Servants brought them towers and dried them off.

Twilight hugged her charge. “Head to your room, sweetheart. I’ll be there soon to tuck you in.”

“Okay,” she said, levitating up her ties and walking off. Sunny Flare, who had waited at the bath entrance, escorted her to the living quarters, wishing her a good night as she entered the hallway with all the bedrooms.

She entered her room, going to her private bathroom to brush her teeth. As she got into bed, Twilight came in. She picked up Daring Do and the Marked Thief of Marapore and began reading.

Three chapters later, she closed the book, and smiled at the sleeping filly. “Time for lights out.”

Starlight smiled, but a thought came to her. “Princess, has anyone ever told Princess Celestia she was wrong?”

Twilight was caught off guard by the question. “What do you mean?”

“Well, has anyone ever told Princess Celestia that she was doing things wrong?”

“Yes, of course, Starlight. Several ponies have gone to Celestia with grievances.”

“Does she ever listen?”

“Of course. She hears criticism and complaints and weighs them just like anypony else in authority. Sometimes she changes her mind, either because she’s brought new information or because they suggest something she hadn’t thought of.”

“Okay... that makes sense. Goodnight, Princess.”

Twilight only hesitated a moment before kissing her student. “Goodnight, sweetheart.”

Twilight left the room, turning off the light and leaving her in darkness. Starlight snuggled down into the sheets.

Didn’t think of something? Celestia is thousands of years old and she still can’t think of everything?

She pushed the thought away. She wished she could be like Princess Twilight. She always knew what she was doing.


“I have no idea what I’m doing,” Twilight said, as Celestia tightened her wing around her. “I’m giving her everything, but she’s still questioning things and it has me nervous.”

“I wish I could tell you what to do,” Celestia sighed. “But every student brought those same fears. That I was doing something wrong. And look, they came true today.”

Twilight was silent for a bit longer.

“The best you can do is give her everything.”

“...You’re right. I need to give her everything.” She pulled away and looked at Celestia. “And there’s one thing I haven’t given her: the reason why I took her in.”

Celestia seemed taken aback. “You’re... going to tell her where she came from?”

“Yes. But not right away. I’m going to tell her at the end of the summer, after things around here have calmed down a bit. Tomorrow, I’ll tell her she’ll get the full story at the end of the summer.”

“A way to pacify her, I take it?”

Twilight nodded. “It should soothe her mind to at least know she will get the truth. I wish I could tell her now, but with everything going on, I don’t think it’s the best time.”

“It might never be the best time, Twilight. Especially with big changes coming.”

“I know. But... well, I can try. The end of summer, come what may, she’ll know. I just hope I’m making the right choice.”

Celestia kissed her on the forehead. “A worry you’ll always have.”