• Published 4th Jan 2016
  • 583 Views, 82 Comments

A mare and her dog - cammera



One day, Applejack decided to take a walk.

  • ...
0
 82
 583

PreviousChapters Next
Day 42: For silent words to be huge

Tense, relax, tense, relax...

""Loi" is also important, because its the basic "Thanks" syllable. "De" is a generic increaser, so "Deloi" is roughly "Very much thanks you", while "Nu" gives a mocking or parodying tone to the rest of the word, so you should avoid "Nuloi" if you can. The customary response to a "Loi"-based word is "Ghao", which rather than "Don't worry about it" is a general statement of that you appreciate it. Its thanking for being thanked, if you want to think of it like that. "Don't worry about it" is a posible interpretation of "Ghaonu", which can be also understood as mocking so it may offend traditionalists, and "Ghaotas" is for refusing to accept the thanksTOP!"

Winona shook in her sleep, but there wasn't much more reaction than that.

"Good, if you keep practicing you'll do it in a few weeks. Where was... oh, yes. There is no individual syllable for "Name", but "Se-tre-de-ni"" she took care of separating each individual syllable "is the most used word for it, and its literal translation is "That which you request at the present time, location, and company, to be identified as". Its a mouthful, but they'll start foaming from their mouths if you critique their language in any shape or form. "Loi-re-na" is important, too, don't forget it. Its asking where is the bathroom"

There was a sound from the road, and they turned to see another caravan pass by.

"So much racket because the guy got sick?" asked Applejack.

Nanda was silent for a moment "I already told you the sleeper is their spiritual leader. Last time they changed I was only a foal, from what I know, and I've heard stories of the change not having really happened"

Applejack thought about it for a moment, but shook her head "I am not sure I follow"

"That the sleeper is a timeless figure. It'd be the same if this happened to any of your princesses"

"As if Celestia could get-" she started jokingly, but stopped dry "Oh"

"Yes, exactly" Nanda sighed "I don't trust the stallion, never have. He is seen as a mere mortal by immortals, not worth thinking about, and as a mighty immortal by most mortals, too large to even think about"

"Like the Saquir" Applejack said to herself, then was looked at curiously by Nanda "The Saquir of Saddle Arabia, know what I mean?"

"The Saqui...? Oh, yes" Nanda nodded. The Sequir was a lineage that, through magic, was maintained looking the same as the first Sequir, a beggar who had given councel to their king. While the ragged tunic and uncared for mane had been seen as humble at some point, politicians had imitated it until it was seen as a signal of falsehood and trickery... in all but the Saquir herself, for whatever reason "But at least they live a mostly public life. The sleeper can spend decades at a time meditating, or sleeping, or whatever is that he does" She noticed Applejack's expression "Yes, that's most of what he does, and he has little official power. But what do you think would happen if, one day, Celestia said she doesn't like tea? Or Twilight that she has a craving for peaches?"

"Big people have big words" recited Applejack from memory, nodding "Are we done for today?"

"Yes, I think so," she took out the first of her tent's stakes "We should be reaching the east door tomorrow"

Author's Note:

Added a small part to the repository of things I had to take out.
And to my eternal shame, I had this one at 589 words for eleven hours.

PreviousChapters Next