• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 3,373 Views, 39 Comments

Secrets of Balance - Shadow Valkyrie



Twilight Sparkle has died. Now she is free.

  • ...
18
 39
 3,373

Olympus has Fallen

Author's Note:

If you aren't very familiar with the Greek myths, you can still understand this chapter.

Chapter 4:

I've seen gods of the men...

The transformation was strange, to say the least. The least or the most? First, the energies of the gods... No. "Gods" isn't a strong enough word to describe them. The nigh-immortal's energies fell away from them, leaving only imprints on the universe. Those energies were transferred to Twilight's through every opening in her body, even her pores. That feeling had no words to her knowledge that could describe it. The energy snaked through her bloodstream to her very heart, mind, and soul. The body she was been using in the presence of the two beings was then destroyed completely, leaving a great glow that lit up even the darkest corners of the Balance. But on the lighter side of the Balance, the light was filled with pure darkness. The place was changing, but not its role. It would still stay to accommodate its master, but the master was changing, too.

Twilight could feel so much knowledge flowing into her mind, and so many new emotions into her heart. She couldn't describe many of them to a mortal mind, for it would be overwhelming for any onlooker to even watch. Well, if they did watch, their soul would probably explode, or possibly implode. She learned that there were centuries left until the beings would eventually die, but to them it would seem like a few seconds, given how long they had existed. Then, it was over. To Equestria, it had been a couple minutes, but to the new Twilight, it had been twenty-five years. She had neither been conscious, nor comatose for the main duration of the process. Now she had awoken once more, with the most cleared and clouded mind in this existence.

What has happened to me? Oh wow, I speak differently. What is all of this... these things I know? This is beyond any science or that Equestria could reach in decades. No, centuries! I can now create something from nothing, and I have the power to delete that something from existence. This is exhilarating! And my thoughts. So much, so fast! Amazing!

She demonstrated her new powers to herself, creating and destroying an entire planet over the course of billions of years. She studied it, watching and documenting all the life that flourished, all the extinction level events, all the civilizations built. All the progress they achieved in the fields of science and mathematics, literature and philosophy, through war and peace until it eventually ended. Much like other worlds. Much like her own.

Peace. She stopped time on that world at that realization. Peace. Equestria had been at peace for a millennium. Equestria was out of balance. Chaos must reign on that realm! No! Why was she thinking this? In her heart she knew that they deserved peace. They had lost so much. They had lost her. They wouldn't be prepared for an age of chaos with one of the Alicorns dead.

But she wasn't dead anymore, now was she? And they needed a new enemy, a new antagonist to fight. A new Nemesis. Nemesis. She liked the sound of that. Nemesis Sparkle. From that point on, she knew herself as that, and only that. No more, no less.

But she couldn't do that to them. They were her friends, her mentors, her allies, her comrades. Her family. She needed to think about this. She moved herself from the plane of Balance to observe another world in the multiverse.

She eventually found the Greeks and the Olympian Pantheon. She asked the gods for help on what to do in her plight. They ushered her to Nemesis, the goddess of revenge. She was the only one who knew how to help her in this.

"You still choose the form of a hybrid horse creature when you have been bestowed godhood? Have you not tried to change forms yet?"

Honestly, the thought had not occurred to me. But can you help me in what I ask? The other Olympians could not.

"They sent you to me because you have a problem in balance, in the golden mean. I am the only one who understands such a thing."

I have lived almost twenty-five years in the side of the light, only to die in combat to what you would call a madman.

"To the men of Sparta and many other cultures, that would be an honor."

After death, two beings took my soul from the grave and made me an offer. They were dying, and if they did, existence would destabilize and be thrown out of balance. They offered to make me their successor, and the multiverse was restored.

"I foresee a 'but' approaching."

But I now know not what to do with this power. I have a voice in my mind, telling me to bring chaos to my homeland. They've lost so much with my death; I can't hurt them any more than they already have been.

"How long has it been in your world since there was a long duration of chaos?"

A thousand years, give or take. Why?

"That is how long chaos must reign upon your realm."

But I cannot do that to them! I have told you this already.

There was silence for a few seconds, then Nemesis gave her the answer. "Emotion."

What?

"Emotion keeps you from your duty as a deity. As does attachment to those in your past life. If you do not rid yourself of these things soon, your world will fall out of balance! I suggest you do that immediately, or I shall do it for you!"

No! Those two things are the some of the only unaltered pieces of my soul that remain. You can't have them!

"Then I am sorry," Nemesis plunged her hands into Twilight's consciousness, pulling out emotion and attachment. "But you are mortal no more. You must be freed of these things. As I have myself." She crushed them in the palm of her hand.

Twilight fell to her knees from the experience, but she also landed upright. What else could be expected of her now? She was angry... and then she wasn't anything. She no longer cared what Nemesis had just done. She no longer cared about anything, or anyone. Nemesis' action had come to fruition. Now, Twilight Sparkle was officially no more. Now there was only Nemesis Sparkle, the Keeper of Balance. And somthing in this world was out of balance.

So how long has it been since your realm had an age of chaos?

The goddess' eyes widened behind her blindfold as she realized her critical mistake. The blindfold she donned wasn't because she was blind, but rather because of her enlightened sight. But even with that, she didn't see this coming. "You wouldn't. Our time of peace is not yet over. Besides, I am the only one with the authority to judge when that time is over."

Your realm had plenty of peace before the Titans! The age of their chaotic rule didn't last as long as the age when of Gaea and Uranus were the only things in your world. Then Cronus was defeated, and the gods took over with their peaceful but selfish rule. I'd say that your world is out of balance. Now, to whatever version of hell this universe has with you!

The Keeper of Balance took Nemesis by the throat and tossed her through Mother Earth, directly into the realm of Hades, and even further into Tartarus. (NOT TAR-TARRUS!) She fell, and fell, and fell, and fell, and fell... And that was the last the above world would ever hear of the goddess of revenge.

Draw the curtains on the Olympians, a new show is about to start. With little effort, Nemesis Sparkle took Mount Olympus and turned it on its side, allowing all the monsters and spawn of Tartarus to overwhelm the Gods in a battle that would take twelve years; one year for each of the twelve Olympian gods to falter.

Demeter was the first to surrender after her daughter, Persephone, was kidnapped, though they would later be rescued by Hades and kept safe in the Underworld. Artemis, who believed that she and her huntresses could shoot down the opposition. An arrow flew through her eye, and the rest of her head for that matter, incapacitating her. Her twin, Apollo, enraged at the downing of his sister, was eventually taken down after he plunged into the fray. Eventually, the city on the mountain was breached, and Hermes ran as fast as he could way from the place. He would carry the shame on his shoulders for the rest of his time, even after this passed. Hephaestus' body was crippled beyond the measure it had been before. Athena was taken down by a literal splitting headache with an ax in her skull. Ares fought for his years non-stop to protect Aphrodite. Eventually, after he had taken down thousands of opponents, one manage to get a crippling blow in. Aphrodite stunned everyone that came to face her in a false love with imaginary things until one was immune to these charms, and beat her with her greater charms. The next god, Dionysus, who had been stained with alcohol in all his years, was tricky to beat, until someone got the idea to throw a torch at him. The god of wine burned without end. Then the throne room was breached, and Poseidon jumped turned into an aquatic animal, and fled into the sea. He, lie Hermes would share the shame, but would also share the responsibility of eventually freeing the others. Hera also fled, leaving Zeus to fight everything that came to combat him until help came to him after many years.

The new age of chaos for the Greeks had begun, and so had the campaign of Nemesis Sparkle.

...and all which they fear