• Published 27th Dec 2015
  • 1,585 Views, 36 Comments

The Twin Apples. - Sylif Daring Doo



The Apple family has a secret, one they never speak of to outsiders, even Apple Bloom does not know it, one fateful day however, this secret is revealed.

  • ...
6
 36
 1,585

The birthday that Ponyville forgot.

In the town of Ponyville, there was an orchard, and it was called Sweet Apple Acres, it was a massive apple orchard that was owned by the Apple family, and there was four of them here at the orchard, the elder, Granny Smith, the filly, Applebloom, the silent brother, Big Macintosh, and the honest Applejack, a gentle breeze blew through the orchard and the leaves on the trees rustled gently.

One leaf was cut off from its branch and flew towards an old farmhouse, it was then that a young farm mare exited the farmhouse, she had a light tan fur and had a blonde mane that was tied up in a ponytail, her tail was tied up in a similar fashion, she wore a worn brown Stetson and had a cutie mark of three red apples on each of her flanks, she took a deep breath of fresh air and began trotting off to do her work.

This mare was called Applejack, she was known as one of Ponyvilles most dependable ponies, she was also known for her honesty and her stubbornness, but she was also an Element of Harmony, and she was the Element of Honesty.

Applejack began to hum a tune as she began her work, she set some baskets at certain spots around the first tree, once she was done she quickly turned around the raised her hind legs, she then kicked the tree with a powerful strike, the apples then fell from the tree and landed perfectly in the baskets, Applejack smiled and continued her work.

This process continued like this for hours, with Applejack posistioning the baskets then kicking the trees, then the apples falling perfectly into place, after the sixth hour, Applejack had walked over to one of the trees and sat down for a breather, she looked up at the sky and watched the clouds fly by.

After a while, Applejack stood up and walked back towards the farmhouse, she hummed a catchy tune as she walked, soon she caught a glimpse of a familiar prismatic trail zooming off, she rolled her eyes and continued forward towards the farmhouse.

She soon passed by a familiar apple tree, she stopped and looked at it with a sad expression, everypony had asked her why she kept a dying apple tree, and why she didn't just replace it.....but Applejack had made it clear that it was NOT to be touched, the tree had started to wither and only had a few linving branches, she sighed and resumed her walk. "I can't believe how long it's been." She said quietly to herself as she continued walking.

After a time of walking, Applejack finally reached the farmhouse, she went to walk inside when she heared a set of footsteps behind her, she sighed and turned around, only to be treated by nothing. "....What the?" She asked herself out of confusion.

Applejack simply shrugged and turned to walk inside the farmhouse, she continued inside but a single thought clung to her mind. 'Miss ya sis......we all do.'

____*Five minutes later, the farmhouse, second floor.*____

Applejack sighed as she entered her room, Granny Smith had stated that dinner would be ready soon, after helping Big Mac set up the dining room table, she had immediately gone upstairs.

She walked over to her bed and sat down, she sighed and looked at her cabinet, she stood up and walked over to the cabinet and opened the top drawer, she sifted through the various items in the drawer, and eventually she pulled out an old photo of herself and her family, there was two mares and a stallion, along with one colt and two fillies.

The adults in the photo were a younger version of Granny Smith, a blue furred stallion with a blonde mane and tail along with a golden carrot cutie mark, his eyes were a dark blue, the mare had tan fur and had a brown mane and tail, her cutie mark was that of a large yellow Apple, and her eyes were a light purple.

The colt in the photo was a young Big Macintosh without a cutie mark, one of the two fillies had bright emerald eyes, her fur was a light tan, and she had a blonde mane, she didn't have her cutie mark either, and she was the filly version of Applejack. the other filly was identical to Applejack except for her eyes, which were a dark purple, Applejack smiled softly at the sight of the other filly and put the photo back. "Happy birthday sis." She said quietly as she walked away from the cabinet.

When Applejack walked downstairs, Big Mac was setting food on the table with Granny Smith, Applejack proceeded to help them set the table up.

Once dinner was set up, Applejack and the others ate in silence....the only words spoken that dinner was Big Macintosh saying that Applebloom was staying with relatives in Appleloosa for the week, and that he and Granny Smith were going to Appleloosa for a few days, they were to leave tomorrow afternoon.

When dinner was over, Applejack silently cleaned the table off with her brother, and later, once the dishes were cleaned, Applejack quickly went upstairs and into the bathroom.

Applejack sighed as she stepped into the hot shower, it helped her clear her mind of distractions for the time that it lasted, but once it was over a stream of thoughts entered Applejack's head, she blocked them out until she entered her room, and at that moment, when Applejack laid down on her bed, that she started to sob quietly.

All of Applejack's emotional barriers began to break down, one by one they fell as more memories flooded back to her, and the more she remembered, the more she wept, at the nights end, Applejack had cried herself to sleep.

____*the next day, Ponyville market, 12:21 PM*____

Applejack and Big Mac moved their Apple stall to its usual spot in the market, soon enough, the stall was set up and filled with apples, once it was finished, Big Mac had said his goodbye to Applejack and walked back to the farm to pack, leaving Applejack to tend to the stall.

Applejack soon got to work as some ponies came up to buy some apples, but while Applejack worked, she couldn't help but feel distracted by something....she couldn't place it but it felt like something was going to happen. "Probably nothing." She muttered as continued to serve her customers.

____*meanwhile, elsewhere in Ponyville.*____

Twilight Sparkle walked through the town at a relaxed pace, she was in no hurry at the moment as she looked around the town, Spike had insisted on going out and exploring the rural town, Twilight had even bought a few things along the way, as she explored the town she caught glimpses of her friends, she had to resist the urge to roll her eyes as Rainbow Dash did what she assumed was boasting about her skills, Twilight continued walking around the town and soon ran into Fluttershy, who seemed to be grabbing some things around the market, Twilight sighed and continued her walk.

Eventually, Twilight found her way to the train station, she decided to walk around it for a moment.

Twilight had only walked around the train station for around a minute or two when the train rolled in, and for some reason, she felt like something was going to happen, but she couldn't find out why. "Weird." She commented.

____*meanwhile*____

A mare exited the train and took a deep breath, she exhaled and let out a small smile. "Ahhh......" She breathed.

The mare then looked around and grinned. ".....It's good to be home." She said to herself as she walked away from the train.

The mare had light tan fur and a brownish blonde mane and tail, she had a black leather jacket that covered half of her body, but she was positive it would earn her the ire of the townsfolk, she also had a silver necklace with a music note around her neck, her eyes were dark purple and her cutie mark was that of two moderately sized Apples with a silver chain going through the middle of them both.

The mare began to walk off from the train station when she heard a voice from behind her. "Applejack?" Asked the voice in a confused manner.

The mare turned around and saw a lavender furred unicorn with a mane that had several separate colors. "Applejack.....what are you wearing?" She asked with confusion.

The mare blinked and suddenly chuckled. "Oh I get it." She said to herself, she looked at the unicorn with a grin. "I'm afraid your mistaken, you must have me confused for somepony else." She replied.

The unicorn examined the mare before her before she facehoofed. "Sorry, you just look a lot like my friend." She said.

The mare nodded. "I get that a lot.....wait a minute, you know AJ?" She asked.

The unicorn paused for a moment before nodding. "Yea....she's my friend, why do you ask?" The unicorn wondered.

The mare walked up to the unicorn and held her hoof out. "I'm Sarah Apple, it's nice to meet you, I'm here to see AJ.....if that answers your previous question." She said.

The unicorn cautiously shook Sarah's hoof and gave a nervous smile. "Twilight Sparkle, a pleasure, and yes it does." She replied.

Sarah looked around the town and chuckled. "Well, this place hasn't changed much." She commented.

Twilight shrugged. "I guess.....so I take it your one of Applejack's cousins?" She asked.

Sarah shook her head and started to walk away. "Nope." She paused and looked at Twilight. "I'm her twin." She replied with a grin, she then continued walking.

Twilight's reaction would have been priceless if Rainbow Dash had been there, but thankfully the prismatic Pegasus was not around to see Twilight with her jaw dropped down as far as it could go.

Twilight returned her jaw back to its rightful place and started to follow Sarah. "This should be eventful." She muttered.

____*Ponyville market, ten minutes later*____

Twilight and Sarah walked through the market on the way to Sweet Apple Acres, Twilight had suggested this path as Applejack could be in the market.....while Twilight was skeptical about Sarah's story, she believed that Applejack would answer it for her.

Sarah had asked Twilight the date and year, when Twilight had told the mare that it was the tenth, she was completely confused. 'Why doesn't she know the year or date?.....does she even know the month?'

Twilight's question was answered however when Sarah asked for the month, Twilight sighed and told Sarah that the month was March.

Sarah shrugged and looked around the market, "This place is busier than I remember." She commented.

Twilight said nothing as she walked. 'From what I found out, the market was always busy.....what is with this mare?' She asked herself.

After ten more minutes of walking, Twilight and Sarah reached the border of Sweet Apple Acres. "Here we are." Twilight told the mare.

Sarah paid no mind as she looked at the orchard with her eyes wide. "Wow.....they expanded." She said out of shock and awe.

Twilight raised an eyebrow at this, but she said nothing as she led the mare to the farmhouse. "So Sarah, if you don't mind me asking....when was the last time you visited?" She asked.

Sarah looked at Twilight. "Well.....I haven't been here since I was nine, and I'm twenty eight......so it was nineteen and a half years." She replied.

Twilight's eyes widened and she gave Sarah a shocked look. "Nineteen years!?" She shouted out of shock.

Sarah nodded and continued walking. "Why do you think I want to see my family?" She asked as though it were obvious.

The pair then walked in silence to the farmhouse, once there, Sarah and Twilight walked up to the front door and Sarah knocked, she heard some hoof steps coming from inside, soon the door squeaked and opened to reveal Applejack, the farm mare immediately noticed Twilight. "Hey Twi, how are you doing?" She asked.

"I'm fine Applejack....but she wants to talk to you." She said while pointing at Sarah.

Applejack looked at who Twilight was talking about and her eyes widened. "Wha?....how?....when?...." Applejack's further attempts at communication was nothing more then incoherent babbling.

Sarah chuckled and waved a hoof in front of Applejack's face. "Uh....AJ, you in there?" She asked.

Twilight and Sarah tried to get a reaction from Applejack, but the mare seemed to be in shock. "Uh.....here's hoping she recovers?" Sarah offered as she moved Applejack inside.

Twilight sighed and followed Sarah inside, she used her magic to set Applejack down on the couch. "Double that." She said.

After five more minutes, Twilight had left the house and headed home, Sarah had stayed to look after Applejack....until she woke up.

____*two hours later*____

Applejack groaned and rubbed her forehead, she looked around groggily. "I fell asleep?" She wondered out loud.

A very familiar voice then chuckled. "More like fainted.....but yea." Said the voice.

Applejack rubbed her eyes and say up, she looked around and saw a familiar pony standing at the doorway to the kitchen, and she was grinning. "Long time no see sis." Sarah said.

Applejack looked at Sarah with wide eyes, she stood up and walked over, she put her hoof on Sarah to see if she was real, and when her hoof made contact, she quickly pulled Sarah into a tight hug. "You have NO idea how much we missed you....." She said quietly with her eyes lightly beading with water.

"Yea......I don't.....missed ya sis, you know that right?" She asked.

Applejack nodded and released her sister, she then backed up and looked at her with a soft smile. "Look at you.....all grown up." She said with a smile.

Sarah nodded and looked at her sister. "You grew up too, you even got mom's old hat......it suits you." She complemented.

Applejack chuckled, she looked at the jacket with suspicion though. "What's with the jacket?" She asked.

Sarah rolled her eyes and tapped the jacket. "This?.....it's a gift." She replied simply.

Applejack could sense the avoidance in the reply but said nothing. "Alright then......so! you uh.....want anything?" She offered nervously.

Sarah shrugged. "Anything really, just not water." She replied.

Applejack nodded and headed into the kitchen, a few moments later, she came back out with some Apple juice, she set it down on the table and Sarah sat down, Applejack sat down as well.

"So....what are you going to do now Sarah?" She asked.

Sarah shrugged. "Well......I honestly do not know what I'm going to do." She replied, she then took another sip of the juice and put on a thoughtful look.

Applejack and Sarah remained silent for several minutes until Applejack finally looked at Sarah. "You can stay here." She said.

Sarah looked at Applejack with wide eyes and a look of shock. "AJ......are you sure about that?.....at all?" She asked in a tone that sounded like she wanted her sister to say no.

Applejack sighed. "Of course I'm sure......this is your home Sarah, I would be lying if I said that I weren't.....I'll let you decide though, it's your decision." She said calmly.

Sarah nodded and stood up, she walked over to the door. "I'm gonna need to think this over." She replied as she walked outside.

____*a few hours later, outside the farmhouse, 6:00 PM.*____

Applejack walked outside the farmhouse and into the cold night, she looked around and saw Sarah sitting on the ground, simply looking up at the stars, Applejack walked over and sat down next to her sister.

"You know, I thought on you offer." Sarah said simply.

Applejack said nothing as she looked up.

Sarah sighed and closed her eyes. "Well.......I accept." She said.

Applejack smiled but was caught off guard when Sarah set her hoof on her sisters shoulder. "Uh....Sarah?" She asked.

Sarah looked at Applejack and grinned. "What's the password?" She asked innocently.

Applejack's eyes instantly widened. "One of a kind Apple family music!" She said quickly.

Sarah grinned and leaned in next to Applejack's ear. "You forgot to say Twins." She whispered.

Applejack gulped and tried to move but soon found herself the victim of Sarah's tickle attack. "Co..haha....no fair!..." She complained before bursting out in a fit of laughter.

Sarah gained a playful grin as she tickled her sister. "Not my fault you forgot the password!" She countered.

About ten seconds passed before Applejack managed to grip her sister, she then began to tikle Sarah in retaliation, Sarah attempted to contain her laughter but she failed miserably.....as was evident by her bursting into full on laughter.

The fight lasted for several minutes until finally, the sisters called truce, the two decided to head inside and they did so.

____*inside the farmhouse, ten minutes later, Sarah's room.*____

Sarah and Applejack entered the room and Sarah immediately noticed a stack of boxes in the corner. "What's in those?" She asked.

Applejack sighed. "Tomorrow, I don't want to go through that stuff tonight." She said tiredly.

Sarah nodded and Applejack left the room, Sarah sighed and took her necklace off. "It's good to be home." She told herself.

Sarah raised a hoof to her chest and then slowly unzipped the jacket, once the zipper was down, she began to take the jacket off, a few moments later, Sarah tossed the jacket onto a nearby chair and walked up to the bed, she got onto the bed and winced when she felt a prick in her side, she ignored it and got under the covers.

As Sarah drifted into unconsciousness, a small and thin object floated down to the ground, before she could make it out she fell asleep.

The small object floated in a thin beam of moonlight and slightly revealed it.



......A feather.....

Author's Note:

And here we go!

First chapter out on a story that is mostly new territory to me.

Introducing Sarah, Applejack's twin sister, coming home from unknown events.

Also, to those who read the Christmas chapter in A new tale in Equestria, i will be inputting that character in a later chapter.

So hey, i wanted to leave this message for you guys/girls, so uh.....see you next time.