• ...
5
 23
 2,461

Chapter 1

Chronology notes:
Stop! You are reading the ninth story in the Bonds of Eternity Series.

The first story in the series is Family found here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1307/

The second story in the series is Nihil Novi Sub Sole found here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1444/

The third story in the series is Friends in High Places found here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1716/

The fourth story in the series is Trust found here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1973/

The fifth story in the series is Domino Effect found here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2151/

The sixth story in the series is To Whom It May Concern found here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2465/

The seventh story in the series is Bridge Over River Rijn found here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2726/

The eighth story in the series is The Way of the Maneaanite found here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2931/

Diamond in the Rough
Chapter 1

Trixie needed a drink.

Trixie rubbed her head as she sat up in bed, waking up to the early morning sunshine in her face. She threw the covers off her and hopped out of bed and trotted down the stairs of the Ponyville Public Library.

Trixie needed a drink.

Trixie sat down at the kitchen table and looked up, Twilight Sparkle’s assistant... the baby dragon whose name Trixie could never remember... was currently in the process of making breakfast.

‘Trixie is hungry, hurry up’, Trixie said with annoyance. The baby dragon whose name she could not remember rolled his eyes at her, but said nothing and continued his task.

Trixie needed a drink.

Ordinarily, Trixie would just make her own, she possessed the knowledge to do so, she could whip up a batch of her favourite whiskey in less than a day. However, unlike the nephites of Ashville, where she had been allowed the materials to make it, The ponies of Ponyville had known better, and had insured that what she needed in order to make it were kept out of her hooves. Trixie had been two weeks sober.

Trixie needed a drink.

It wasn’t like she could just make one appear with magic, all though sometimes she wished that she could. That little titbit of information was something that earth ponies and pegasi didn’t understand. Magic was magic, and magic could do amazing things, but it cannot create something from nothing. The laws of nature still applied with magic. You can’t get something from nothing. Of this, the First Law of Thermodynamics was clear.

Trixie needed a drink.

Unfortunately for Trixie, there really wasn’t anywhere she could get any. It’s not like there were any liquor stores in town. There was simply no ways in hell that the local government was going to let that happen. She’d have to go to Canterlot to find any. That wasn’t happening either, Doctor Nightly’s orders. Trixie wasn’t going out of town without somepony going with her to make sure that she wasn’t going to buy any more alcohol.

Trixie needed a drink.

The baby dragon whose name that Trixie could never remember placed a plate of food in front of her, she levitated a fork up and took a bite of her breakfast. ‘This is terrible’, Trixie said.

‘I know, why do you think I gave it to you?’ The baby dragon whose name that Trixie could never remember said. The two of them did not get along well. Trixie ate the rest of her breakfast quietly out of spite.

Trixie finished her breakfast, purposely making as big of a mess as she could for the baby dragon whose name that Trixie could never remember to clean up. He scowled at her angrily but Trixie ignored it, and exited the Library into the town of Ponyville.

Trixie needed a drink.

Trixie had started drinking not long after her public humiliation after the Ursa Minor incident. She had seen those two colts that brought the stupid creature into town a few times, but they gave her a wide berth. Good thing too, if they came anywhere near her, she’d hit them with a repeating stunner spell. Trixie scanned the streets and discovered exactly who she was looking for.

Berry Punch was the town drunk, it was widely known, and never talked about, Trixie had caught a break, Berry Punch was alone and she trotted up to the earth pony mare, smiling warmly at her, anyone with enough sense would have known right there and then to run as far and as fast as possible, unfortunately for Berry Punch, she did not know Trixie very well.

‘Hello’, Trixie said sweetly smiling at Berry Punch.

‘Oh... uh... hi’, Berry Punch said nervously. ‘Can... can I help you?’

‘A beautiful mare like yourself, Trixie certainly hopes so’, Trixie said with a wink, causing Berry Punch to blush, though it was difficult to tell through her plum colour coat. Trixie ran a hoof through Berry Punch’s mulberry mane and leaned in close to whisper into her ear. ‘Trixie knows what you have in your cellar’.

Berry Punch began to panic, she’d been caught in Trixie’s honey trap and now there was no way out. ‘You... you can’t tell! Please! You can’t tell!’

‘Oh, don’t worry, Trixie isn’t going to tell’, Trixie says sweetly. ‘Trixie just wants a looksee’.

Berry Punch nodded and nervously led the way to her home, glancing around to see if anyone was watching. They went around back and Berry Punch opened up the cellar door. Trixie forced Berry Punch to go down first to make sure that she wouldn’t run off and then followed behind. Trixie then used her magic to pull the doors shut behind them latching the lock. Berry Punch couldn’t help but look incredibly nervous; she sat down in the corner and began rocking back in forth. Her secret was discovered. For in the cellar were rows upon rows of various bottles of alcohol, wine, whiskey, scotch, vodka, you name it, you’d find it in here.

Trixie levitated a bottle of whiskey off the shelf and popped the top off and took a nice long swig. It burned her throat slightly as the liquid trickled down her oesophagus, but it was a good feeling, she eyed Berry Punch, who continued to rock back and forth.

‘Trixie wonders why you have so much down here’, she said.

‘I... I don’t drink any more’, Berry Punch said. ‘... but sometimes, late at night, I like to come down here and look at it, please you can’t tell’.

Trixie sneered playfully at the pony before her. ‘Trixie won’t tell... if you meet Trixie’s conditions’.

‘Anything! I’ll do whatever you want!’ Berry Punch cried out.

Trixie approached Berry Punch and laid down on her stomach next to her, smiling warmly, yet disconcertingly. ‘First... whenever Trixie wants some, you will give it to her, understand?’

Berry Punch nodded in affirmation.

‘Second... open your mouth’, Trixie said, levitating the bottle of whiskey closer to them.

Berry Punch through her hooves over her mouth. ‘No! Please! You can’t! I’ve been clean for sixty days!’

‘What did Trixie say!?’ Trixie called out angrily, she latched on Berry Punch with her magic, holding her down and forced her mouth to open.

‘No! No! Please No!’ Berry Punch cried out, Trixie grabbed her mouth with her hooves and forced it open, and then proceeded to pour the whiskey into Berry Punch’s mouth. She tried to spit it out, but to no avail, she had to swallow it. Berry Punch began to cry. She had worked so hard. Trixie released her and sat back leaning against the wall, Berry Punch took the whiskey bottle from her and promptly drank the rest of it. Trixie cracked open another bottle and it wasn’t long before both mares were completely wasted.

...

Carrot Top trotted through her garden, tending to her plants before she headed over to Sweet Apple Acres to help with the day’s work. Big McIntosh had asked her to help keep an eye on things at the farm while he had gone away, and she had agreed. Big McIntosh had offered to pay her for it, but she had turned it down point blankly, twenty pounds was far too much, and besides. They were neighbours, neighbours helped each other out. She finished up with her plants and trotted down the road. She looked up and discovered that Caramel had already arrived and that he was looking around worriedly like he had forgotten something... and likely had, given his reputation.

Big McIntosh and Caramel were sort of friends, though Carrot Top had noted that their friendship wasn’t like most. The two hardly ever spoke to each other, they hardly ever saw each other... then again, Carrot Top never really saw Caramel around town much either, who knew what he was doing on a regular basis... but Carrot Top had noticed that the two of them had an understanding.

‘Hello Caramel’, Carrot Top said with a smile. ‘Everything all right?’

Caramel did not reply, he was clearly wrapped up in whatever he was doing, though Carrot Top couldn’t exactly tell what that was.

‘Caramel?’ Carrot Top asked.

No reply.

‘CARAMEL!’ Carrot top had resorted to practically screaming at him, but it got his attention. He snapped up and whipped around, looking incredibly embarrassed.

‘Oh... uh, hello Carrot Top’, Caramel said uneasily. He was nervous, she could tell.

‘What did you lose this time?’ Carrot Top asked

‘Uh... my saddlebag’, Caramel said. ‘With all the money I made from selling Apples for the entire week...’

‘Caramel...’ Carrot Top asked as a look of worry on forming on her face. ‘How much money was in your saddlebag?’

Caramel swallowed hard. ‘Uh... ten pounds?’

Carrot Top’s jaw dropped. ‘CARAMEL!’

‘I’m sorry! It was right there a minute ago! Please, you have to help me find it!’ Caramel pleaded.

Carrot Top sighed. ‘Okay! Okay... don’t panic, we just need to retrace your steps... now where did you last...’

‘Oh there it is!’ Caramel said, as he pointed over towards the barn, sure enough, there it was, sitting on the ground just inside. Caramel trotted over to it and picked it up, placing it over his back and looking inside. ‘Yep! All ten pounds no problem!’

Carrot Top facehoofed. Today was going to be a long day, she could tell already.