• Published 14th Oct 2016
  • 1,955 Views, 61 Comments

Blood Ties - bestponydash



Twilight and her friends are quickly summoned to Canterlot where a hooded stranger is attacking the princesses. Normally this wouldn't seem that out of the ordinary, but something tells Twilight that Celestia and Luna aren't telling her everything.

  • ...
10
 61
 1,955

Stalking the Truth

Spike ran as fast as his little legs would allow him; unfortunately he did not overhear where Twilight was heading, so he backtracked to the guest room where the remaining mane six were still asleep. Spike stopped in front of the door and reached a claw out to the doorknob. He stopped; should he bring the rest of them into all this before he knew the truth? They could help him find answers, help Twilight, but he stopped. "No," he said to himself, "I need to find out what happened myself." Spike backed away from the door and continued down the hallway in search of Twilight.

He ran until he came across one of Luna's night guards. "Spike?" the bat-like pony questioned, "What are you doing here at this hour?"

"I need to find Twilight; have you seen her?" He wasted no time.

The guard rubbed his head, puzzled. "I believe I saw her running towards the main gate; can't imagine what she was doing."

Spike's face lit up, "Thanks." He bolted it outside, fearing he would be too late to catch up to her. But to his relief, when Spike ran through the open doors to the courtyard, he saw Twilight staring up at the night sky. Spike let out a sigh and caught his breath before walking forward. As he was slowly making his way to her, Twilight's horn began to glow. "What? No no no." Spike began sprinting once again before Twilight could teleport away from him.

He got closer and closer but the magic was getting brighter on Twilight's head he had only a couple seconds. He jumped for it, claw outreached. A bright spark blinded his vision, and he could sense nothing but a silky texture in his grasp. When the light faded, Spike blinked his disoriented eyes and looked around at the castle of the two sisters which lay in front of him.

"Huh?" Twilight said. Spike quickly let go of her and jumped for his life into the nearby shrubbery. Twilight's eyes motioned to her tail, "That was weird, could have sworn something touched me." She looked around for another good minute or so but eventually turned her attention back to the task at hoof. With a creased brow and an increasing heart rate she trotted inside the decaying castle. Spike watched as she disappeared; he emerged from his hiding place and stared up at the castle. He knew that if Twilight saw him here she might not let him continue this quest; or perhaps she would, he was not willing to take the risk. He needed answers just as much as she did.

Spike hurried inside and followed Twilight, being sure to stay behind corners, pillars, and other such cover. It had taken quite a while but Twilight finally found her way to the tower she had found with Spike some time ago. Spike stayed outside the doorway and watched as the princess began to search the room. He did not know for what she looked, but Spike was growing all the more nervous as Twilight continued to fail in finding it. Eventually, she appeared to be giving up the search and threw a book against the far wall. Spike took this as his opportunity to get in there and start looking for himself; anything related to what Lennox told him would be invaluable and he knew something had to be here.

He ran for it and dove behind a clutter of books and shelves Twilight had knocked about. Twilight rushed her head around, "Who's there?" She asked, irritated and startled. But only silence ensued. She glanced around for a few seconds before turning back and beginning to attempt to search one more time. But just as she was starting to turn, Twilight noticed something that had not been there before. Spike's eyes glowed with anticipation as Twilight approached a loose stone in the floor. She reached with her hoof, but when she made contact with the stone, a great burst of magic shot forth and burned her foreleg. Twilight screeched and jumped back.

Spike was speechless at this point, simply watching, wondering what Twilight had found and how it would help them. She approached the stone once more, but this time she stepped with her head down as to be prepared to block the magical blast. But the stone did not shock her this time around. Instead, when she was just a few inches away, a magical beam flew up from the ground and covered Twilight's horn. She panicked and struggled to get free, but nothing worked. She attempted to blast the grip of the stone away. So, she lit her horn up with a deadly glow. As soon as she did so however, the magic of the stone absorbed Twilight's power and changed to a bright white color. The ground shook beneath her as Twilight's horn began to heat up. Suddenly the magic of the stone receded and released Twilight in one quick motion; Twilight was sent flying back, landing on her back among a pile of discarded books.

Spike panicked and ran closer to her, making sure she wasn't hurt. Twilight shook her head and appeared to be fine, but this did not stop Spike from worrying. No matter what she had found, it was not worth getting hurt for, he thought.

Twilight returned to the hidden compartment and lifted two books from the hole. Spike was too far away to see any label but he did manage to see Twilight's expression. She seemed confused, and mumbled something to herself; it must have been something written on the cover of the books. Twilight suddenly began walking out the door; Spike's gaze followed the books in Twilight's possession and his feet took a step toward the exit. Unfortunately, he was not watching where he was going and a discarded old tome blocked his way. Spike tried to catch himself as he tripped but it was to no avail and he fell loudly into a nearby table.

As Twilight turned to investigate the noise, she slammed the side of her head into the doorway. She dropped to the ground rubbing her head and face. Twilight looked up at the table and Spike held his mouth shut, sweating. She stood up once more, still rubbing her head. When the pain had subsided, she took a glance at her hoof. Twilight's eyes suddenly grew twice as large as before and she gasped, "Of course!"

"Of course? Of course what?" Spike said to himself and stood up from his cover. Twilight had turned away and was about to teleport once more. "Not again," he whispered. And once more, Spike ran and barely grabbed Twilight's tail in time to be teleported with her. When they reappeared, Spike let go of her and was prepared to jump to cover again. But to his surprise, Twilight ignored his grasp and ran through the castle gates. Spike knew the answers he sought had to be in those books. He had to keep following her and finally find the truth.

Author's Note:

Opinions in the comments :facehoof: