• Published 10th Dec 2015
  • 2,100 Views, 33 Comments

Potion Panic - gaitiem



Scootaloo and Sweetie are best friends, but they've caught themselves acting more and more like a couple lately.

  • ...
6
 33
 2,100

3 Advice from a "Grown Up"

The clock chimed Quarter-to-Five as Pinkie walked home from the job she had been fired from. How was she to have known that some ponies would really be fooled by a bell that was three hours off? All they had to do was look outside to get the joke, and she only meant it for a laugh. In spite of her disappointment, Pinkie perked herself up with thoughts of all the ponies who heard the bell, though of her, and got a smile out of it. Their day a bit less dreary, their step a bit less weary, and their path to carry on a little more... "Cleary?" she asked herself out loud. She was struggling to keep the mantra from dissolving into nonsense, but found, instead, that the silly fake word was enough to help her forget it, and chuckle softly herself in spite of it all.

On the road, she met Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, who, though one was walking the other home, seemed to keep their distance, one scooting slowly behind the other. "Hey girls!" she called out to them.

The two were uncustomarily excited to see her, exclaiming "Hey Pinkie Pie!" in unison. Pinkie was most pleased to see the little fillies so enthusiastic, and it didn't take much to start her down the path of planning out a whole day of fun for the three.

Three? She thought. One missing! "Where's Apple Bloom? We need her to help me bake for the cupcake eating contest!"

"Contest?" Sweetie asked, unaware of the party ponies peculiar plans.

"She's busy," Scootaloo told her, unphased. "It's just..." she found it difficult to say, "me and Sweetie today."

“That’s ‘Sweetie and I’, silly filly! I know Miss Cheerilee taught you better than that!” Pinkie corrected her before taking a concerned pause. Pinkie Pie was usually the last to notice if her exuberance was making somepony uncomfortable, but Scootaloo's disposition couldn’t be ignored. "Is there something wrong?"

"Pinkie... do you think you could give us some 'grown up' advice?" Scoots asked.

She lunged at the opportunity. "Of course! What problem can Auntie Pinkie Pie help you with? I can give you all the responsible adult perspective you need."

"About..." Sweetie paused, "...special someponies?"

Pinkie's ego immediately deflated like so many party balloons. She began to panic internally. Special someponies? I don't know anything about special someponies! I know my parents, the Cakes, Cadence and Shining Armor... but I don't have a special somepony! I don't know anything! What are they gonna ask? What am I gonna say? "Wh-what is it?" she asked timidly.

"How do two ponies become special some ponies?" Sweetie clarified. "I know it's ponies that are really close and important to one another, but what happens to good friends that makes them an item."

Pinkie was relieved to receive a question she felt she could answer confidently. "Well, there aren't any real rules on that, silly. It's just whenever both ponies decide they want to.” The two fillies looked at each other, briefly considering this new information. Pinkie wasn’t sure they got it, but, thankfully, she had an example. “Like… my mom! She wanted my dad to be her special somepony, but her dad, Grandpa Eulen, said 'no daughter o’ mine’s gonna marry some good-f’r-nothin’ miner’. But my mom loved my dad so much that she married him anyways.” Pinkie stalled for a moment checking that she was making the right impression. “That doesn’t mean you should disrespect your parents, though. For instance, my dad became a rock farmer because he really loved my mom and wanted her father to approve and come to the wedding (Grampa only thinks miners are good for nothings, not farmers). I might still not have gone though, honestly, I mean, no cake at a wedding? What were they thinking!”
Weddings side-tracked her. She went on, “Probably no decorations either. What must the music have been like? Booooooooooring. I mean, they’re my parents and I love them so-so-much and everything, but I would not have attended a major Pie family event without insisting they pick me as the party planner. Could you imagine going to a party from before you were born?” The idea sent her on an even further tangent involving time travel, during which the two Crusaders silently slipped away without her noticing.

Author's Note:

Who else would you ask for advice but your friendly Aunty Pinkie Pie?

I noticed this chapter and the last one were both shorter, so I elected to post this one in the morning and post the longer fourth chapter tonight. I would hate to keep you waiting.