• Published 9th Dec 2015
  • 1,742 Views, 58 Comments

The Rime of the Ancient Pegasus - RainbowDoubleDash



After three hundred years sulking in Tartaros, a pegasus who made a deal with Windigos for power has been released for good behavior. Her first stop? Her old hometown of Ponyville!

  • ...
8
 58
 1,742

Once upon a time...

The Sad Tale of Little Rock's Yare and Hale
From "Flutter Ponies and Other Tales for Foals", by Swift Plume

A note from Swift Plume: This story, like many old mare's tales, is partly meant to entertain, and partly meant to educate. A local tale from the Everfree region of Equestria, it warns foals about the dangers of the Everfree Forest and not listening to one's parents - rather gruesomely by today's standards! Also like many tales, it seems to be at least partially based on truth: 300 years ago, the Everfree region was struck by a terrible winter that nearly destroyed several farms located at the edge of the forest's boundaries, particularly around the area now occupied by Ponyville. As to whether there is any truth to the existence of Little Rock or the Windigo he supposedly awakened, who can say?

Once upon a time on the edge of Equestria, in the country of the Everfree, there lived a poor farmer with his family, who had only one son called Little Rock. He was brisk and of a ready lively wit, so that nobody or nothing could worst him.

In those days the Forest of Everfree was, as it is today, kept by terrible monsters. The farmer warned Little Rock away from the Everfree. “My son, you are quick,” said he, “and you are clever. But the forest is quicker, and the forest is cleverer. Keep you from its boughs!” But Little Rock knew that between him and the forest, it was he who was the better. Little Rock took up his haversack and ventured into the forest, looking for wealth to bring his family.

On the first day, the colt discovered the ruins of an ancient castle built long ago. But before he could explore it, he was set upon by a pack of timberwolves! Little Rock galloped avaunt, but the timberwolves were the faster! But Little Rock was also clever and had known of the timberwolves. He took from his haversack hot coals, and threw them thereinto. The timberwolves burst into flames and were vanquished.

“See you how I am yare and hale!” cried he. But it was late and Little Rock grew weary, and so he retired to his father’s farm. Little Rock told his father of his adventure. “My son,” said the farmer, “you are quick and you are clever. But the forest is quicker, and the forest is cleverer. Keep you from its boughs!” But Little Rock knew that between him and the forest, it was he who was the better. Had he not burned the timberwolves to ash?

And so, the next day, he returned to the Everfree with his haversack, and found him the castle built long ago. Thither he went, venturing into its bowels looking for treasure. But he was set upon by a manticore! Little Rock again galloped avaunt, but the manticore was the faster! But Little Rock was also clever and had known of the manticore. He took from his haversack a poison needle and struck the manticore upon the snout. The manticore fell over dead.

“See you how I am yare and hale!” cried he. But it was late and Little Rock grew weary, and so he retired to his father’s farm. Little Rock told his father of his further adventure. “My son,” said the farmer, “you are quick and you are clever. But the forest is quicker, and the forest is cleverer. Keep you from its boughs!” But Little Rock knew that between him and the forest, it was he who was the better. Had he not slain the manticore with poison?

And so, the next day, he returned to the Everfree with his haversack, and found him the castle built long ago. Thither he went, to its deepest dungeons and tallest towers, but no treasure did he find. “Alas, but what will be will be,” said he, and made to leave the castle. But at its very gate, he found a Windigo awaiting him! “Much trouble have you caused in my home these past days, Little Rock,” said she. “Slew you my pets and servants looking for my treasure! I shall freeze your flesh and make brittle your bones in recompense, and you shall regret awaking Rimewind the Frigid!”

Little Rock galloped avaunt, but Rimewind’s chill stole the strength from his legs. From his haversack he took his hot coals and hurled them at the Windigo, but her gelid aura took their heat! Next he tried his poison needle, but blood did not flow through her wintry veins and she did not fall!

And so it was that Little Rock was frozen solid within sight of his father’s farm. “Alas for my son’s yare and hale!” cried the farmer. “He was quick and he was clever, but the forest was quicker and the forest was cleverer! If only he had kept from its boughs!”

Author's Note:

I would be remiss if I didn't note that the first line of the story above is paraphrased from Joseph Jacob's take on Jack the Giant Killer, in particular the description for Little Rock as being "brisk and of a ready lively wit, so that nobody or nothing could worst him." The next line is also similar; in the original story it goes "In those days the Mount of Cornwall was kept by a huge giant named Cormoran."

Everything after that is my own, however.