• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 4,162 Views, 489 Comments

Of Laurels & Lace - WritingSpirit



Rarity receives an invitation to a masquerade, but was immediately thrown into conspiracy, treachery and, above all, love.

  • ...
14
 489
 4,162

PreviousChapters Next
Enigma: The Final Voyagers

"Tantrum!"

Harrow Palgiot paced down the corridors of Palgiot Palace hastily. The Patriarch was nowhere to be seen since this morning, much to the concern of the rest of the family. Guards stood high with a salute as he passed by them, clutching fiercely with determination onto their rifles.

"Tantrum Palgiot!" he called out again. If he found him caught with that femme fatale Sovereign again...

"Trumpster!" he tried this time with his foalhood nickname, loathed by the stallion himself.

It has worked many times before. There was no doubt it would work again.

He turned around the bend, spotting the door leading to his brother's quarters wide open, inviting the pony into the room.

"Tantrum," he began, "how many times must I tell you that you should not-"

He stopped short, horrified at the gruesome scene before him.

Right at the other end of the room, impaled onto a giant, crystal pillar from the tip, was his brother. Blood streamed down like red vines, flowing seamlessly down to the carpeted floor below.

"T-Tan....T-Tantr...." he could only stammer, frozen in shock.

"Fascinating, isn't it?"

Harrow blinked his eyes in surprise, watching in amazement as Tantrum's body hover upwards, withdrawing from the crystal pillar. The red fluid started to flow back in droplets into the large gash on the Patriarch's chest, the torn fabrics of the shredded suit sealing back into perfection.

"What... what did you...?" he asked his brother once Tantrum settled with all four hooves on the ground, face to face with the stallion.

"Dimension alteration spell," the Patriarch quickly explained with a pride-filled laugh.

"I was basically performing it to experience the grisly, macabre sensation of near-death. Imagine that, Harrow! Having control of a power so strong, it may change the nature of Equestria as we know it!"

"Are you insane?" Harrow could only reply in disbelief.

"Think about the endless possibilities that we can stem from it!" Tantrum continued, ignoring his brother's shock.

"We're talking about a convergence of reality and fantasy! Of two parallel, yet opposite dimensions! We can form a new dawn with this power. A new Equestria!"

Harrow bit his lip, watching as his brother rambled on about it.

There was that spark in his eyes again. It wasn't one of inspiration, though; it had that psychopath's flair in it.

Not to say this was the first time it had happened before.

"Tantrum," he began, cutting into his brother's excited proposals.

"Can we not wander off into your warped theories of astounding proportions, please? It is extremely absurd!"

"Absurd, you say? Harrow, Harrow..."

The Patriarch chuckled, placing a hoof around the stallion's shoulder.

"To have the ability to shape the future... many ponies would kill for the essence we have in our hooves!"

"What do you mean 'shape the future'?"

"Still so naive, I see. I'll finish what Noir Palgiot had started."

Tantrum smiled a deranged smile, watching at the sunset in the horizon from the windows.

"To overthrow the Princess."

Harrow stopped, horrified as his brother laughed maniacally, yet he couldn't just question his brother directly...

"How... how are you planning to that, Tantrum?" he asked, curious.

"Simple," Tantrum replied, breathing in the pungent scent of autumn.

"We'll take down the system ourselves. Turn her into our favor with blackmail."

"Wasn't the nano-bomb you ordered enough?"

The Patriarch shook his head, his disturbingly glinting smile only making his brother more nervous than ever.

"Don't you see, Harrow?" he said with a chortle.

"I'm going to build a weapon."

~ * * * * * ~

... to build a weapon...

Winter frowned down at his father's words, scribbled down onto one of the numerous logbooks scattered on the table.

The blueprints spread out in front of him was hoof-designed by Tantrum himself. Everything required was accounted for: from the harnessing of energy to the collider right at point blank of the sector ray.

Even the angle of elevation of the weapon was measured, a smooth curve across the map showing where the beam would land.

The stallion sighed, looking at the name of the town, the location crossed out with the fading ink of a fountain pen.

The name, as well, was circled with red, indicating the name of the target:

Canterlot

Then there was the nano-bomb. There wasn't any possible way that Tantrum himself could've planted it. The Princess of the Night had returned from the moon almost seventy years after his death.

There was only one conclusion.

"Somepony else was behind this."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

The regal halls of Equestria's finest architecture...

Kanov'hin grinned at the stained glass windows. The art looked so feeble compared to the grander, larger ones back at home. Not that he would complain, though.

Despite his size, the throne room was tall enough to fit an adult dragon like him, the ceiling still a great distance from his head with the pointed chandeliers slightly grazing the surface of his scales.

The throne looked comfortable, albeit small for his stature. The dragon admired the golden furnishings, the red carpet unfurled from the velvet seat out towards the door.

The trickling of water down its edges only made it more grand. He chuckled mockingly at the fashion these ponies have sauntered with, wrinkling at all the banners hanging down the ceiling.

"My Commander," a voice called from the side, Kanov'hin recognizing as one of his kin.

"The Princess is waiting for you."

"Alright then," he said with a smirk.

Time to settle this once and for all.

Kanovh'in followed the dragon, one of his trusty aides, down the hallways. As usual, he was impressed by the diverse architecture, ranging from gryphons to minotaurs to even dragon origins.

The two dragons soon stopped in front of a majestic door, no doubt leading into the alicorn's bedroom. The leading dragon started to turn the knob, before turning to his comrade:

"Aren't you following me in?"

"The Princess insisted you talk to her alone, sir," he said with a bow.

Kanov'hin just scoffed at that. These ponies and their ridiculous demands...

"Remember who you serve right now, Devrak," the dragon said sternly.

"I'll let you go this time, considering it's the Princess's wishes."

"O-Of course, Commander."

As his comrade quickly huddled away, Kanov'hin's claw pushed down onto the knob.

The door swung open, revealing the humble yet majestic abode of the white alicorn. The dragon ducked his head, glancing at the tidy purple sheets and the flicker of warmth from the fireplace.

At the other end of the room he spotted the back of a tall, velvet chair facing towards the afternoon sun in the horizon. The dragon edged closer to the center of the room, giving out a slight cough.

"You've decided, my Princess?"

There was a shuffling sound from the chair, making him smile.

Even in troubled times, the royalty still loved to play games.

"I've received word from one of my comrades that you'll agree to the terms of the contract."

Kanov'hin glanced at the banner hanging at the side, studying the delicately, woven fabric on the texture. He was especially picky at the accuracy of the event on it, yet there wasn't any time for that now.

"Is there anything bothering you, my Princess?" he asked in response to the silent treatment.

"What in tarnation are you talking about?"

As soon as the chair turned, Kanov'hin stopped with shock and surprise at the figure sitting in the chair.

Instead of the white alicorn he expected, there was, in her place, an orange pony: the same one he saw when they were flying across the field.

The door slammed shut with a lasso, a small click sounding in response. The dragon could watch the rope snap like a whip, before returning to the hooves of the owner.

"Ah suppose Ah haven't properly introduced myself," the mare said with that accent.

Definitely her.

"M'ah name's Applejack. Welcome to Equestria."

Kanov'hin gritted his teeth with the rage he was famous for back in the Badlands.

"Where's the Princess?!" he shouted, marching towards the pony.

A loud clink made him stop and stumble onto the floor, the feeling of a ring of metal clasped onto his hind paws. The dragon grunted as he tried in vain to free himself from the tight, glowing shackles, roaring vehemently at Applejack:

"Let me go at once!!" he demanded.

"Ya ain't goin' nowhere, partner," she replied coolly.

"The Princess did some hocus-pocus on that chain of yours, so ya ain't breaking free."

"This is blasphemous!" Kanov'hin bellowed loudly.

With a gulp of breath, the dragon blew out a strong breeze, before blinking in confusion.

"Princess Luna thought of your fire-breathin' as well," Applejack said with a chuckle, wrapping a scarf over her neck.

"Don'tcha notice? She lowered the temperature a little. Warm enough for you and me to survive; cold enough for your flames to not go hinky-doodle and burn everythin' down."

"Filthy, backstabbing-!" he shouted, before gritting his teeth with a growl.

"Then why are you here?"

"Unfortunately for the both of us, Ah'm your night guard, ta make sure ya ain't doin' anythin' stupid."

Kanov'hin just scowled as the orange mare crossed her hoof, tilting her hat down to the raging dragon.

"So are ya just gonna babble? This ain't the best job Ah can find in Equestria, ya know."

"Have you ponies have no honor?" he sneered.

"To chain a dragon... preposterous, I tell you!"

"And trespassin' into Equestria isn't?" Applejack shot back, only making the dragon humph with ignorance.

"Ya think dragons can just trample over every garden ya see, don'tcha? Well, newsflash for ya, chump!"

With a crack of the rope, she whipped across the dragon's eye, making him yowl.

"This is Equestria! No dragon like you will ever be accepted here!"

Kanov'hin just laughed in response.

"You haven't answer my question yet, mare."

"The name's Applejack. Ah've told you already."

"Of course. Where are my manners?"

The dragon forced out a smile, asking the pony with sarcasm:

"Where is the Princess?"

"Come ta think of it.... din'tcha see her just about now?"

"I clearly never recalled-" Kanov'hin began, before a torrent of realization hailed into his mind.

His eyes widened with a spark, the events of the past flooding back immediately.

"Aren't you following me in?"

"The Princess insisted you talk to her alone, sir,"

"Devrak.... that wasn't Devrak at all..."

"I know, I know. Unicorn spells.... Pfftt..."

Applejack just shook her blonde mane, placing her hat aside.

"Ah can't understand how they work as well. 'Specially with all that changeling transformin'."

"Tricked!" Kanov'hin could only shout in frustration, kicking his chained claws back.

"Oh well," the orange mare just sighed, kicking her hooves back with a smirk.

As Rarity would say...

"C'est la vie."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"The truth..."

Rarity and Spike could only stare at the swirl of light in the glass sphere, tempting them like sapphires.

They, along with Twilight, Rainbow, Soarin', Octavia and Crimson were all waiting for Pinkie to return. The pink mare was requested for a private talk with the Patriarch, which only fueled their curiosity even more.

"What would Winter want with Pinkie anyway?" Twilight asked, gazing at the doors.

"They're sure taking an awfully long time."

"Twilight, darling," Rarity responded with a smile.

"We're all a little perplexed by the situation at hand. I'm sure Winter's trying to open her up."

"Well..." Rainbow responded, kicking her hooves in the air out of boredom.

"I'm not just gonna sit here and wait for them to finish talking. That could take like... forever!"

"Well... that is quite true, after all."

The three mares sighed in unison, their eyes glued to the glass sphere longingly.

"How long left..." Twilight murmured.

"Not very long, if that could help."

All of them stood up in surprise as Winter Palgiot stepped in, with Pinkie easing into the room uncomfortably, shirking right behind the stallion.

"Sorry for the long wait," he said with a bow, "I really hope I hadn't wasted your time."

"You kinda did!" Rainbow blurted out, being rewarded with annoyed glances from Twilight and Pinkie.

"What?"

"Anyways, before you enter," he continued, unfazed by the pegasus's comment.

"There's something I have to disclose with all of you, and I required Pinkie's permission to do it."

"Really?" Rarity asked skeptically, giving him a quizzical look.

"I'm sure all of you had heard of them now. The Voyager Six, I mean."

There were a bunch of nods, which prompted Winter to continue:

"So far, we've known that these six Voyagers were all murdered, to keep a dark, terrible secret behind. No doubt Mirror Mare will be targeting all of you when you open the glass sphere."

"Four of these Voyagers were Dredges Deniers, commonly known as Dresden, being a famed philosopher and witch doctor that travels around the world. Murdered with two serrated blades cut through his arteries. Next was Charter Freewings-"

"Wait," Rainbow broke in.

"Hold it. Did you say 'Charter Freewings'?"

"The attorney of Cloudsdale, yes." Winter clarified, which only shocked the cyan pegasus even more.

"One of the most respected pegasi in your town, no doubt. Killed by spontaneous combustion ignited with traces of kerosene surrounding his carpet and a spark created from the friction of the twin blades."

"He was... one of them...?" was what Rainbow could only say, Soarin' giving her a reassuring pat as the mare huddled closer to him.

"Gypsum Palgiot was the third. Shot with a sniper by the deceased Caper Masque, a celebrated magician and, needless to say, a foalhood friend of Dresden and coltfriend of my late sister Autumn Palgiot. Dresden somehow knew he was the shooter, commending him to an oath of silence using their friendship coin."

Winter sighed deeply with regret at the next name. The mare that left a searing scar into his memories.

"The fourth was Harmony Peridot. No doubt most of you know her as the mare that I was with. Before Pinkie, that is."

The Patriarch drooped a little as he continued:

"Whatever happened to the Voyagers was what made Harmony become Mirror Mare. Ironic that she became the pony that she had to stop."

"But you said it was the Voyager Six." Twilight said with a raise of her hoof.

"Who were the other two ponies?"

"Simple. One was mentioned, just not so clear as Mirror Mare makes it to be."

Winter turned to Spike, who immediately stopped with a surprise as he asked:

"Remember the enigma on the photos. The one Jovern revealed with his flames?"

Spike nodded, Rarity becoming noticeably sullen as she remembered the contents of the photos.

"Sweetie Belle..."

"I've figured it out."

The couple, along with Octavia and Crimson stopped in surprise.

"Really?" the dragon exclaimed.

"Positive. It was simple, actually."

Winter held in his breath. This was going to be one tough explanation...

"The first one to start was the name 'Jeana Yawger'. A little bit of research in Fenderville came in handy."

The Patriarch held up a ripped page as he explained:

"Jeana Yawger was the name of the co-pilot of a non-stop, no refuel flight around the world. It was an incredible feat accomplished by her to say the least. The name of the plane was the 'Rutan Voyager'."

"The Rutan.... oh..."

Spike nodded with realization. "So that means...

"The Roman number 'XIII' was associated with tarot, in which case means 'Death'. Union Station meant the Union Station of Trotronto, where the Amtrak abbreviation for the station was T-W-O, or in this case, 'to'."

Winter sipped on a small cup of tea, nourishing his dry throat as he continued:

"The name 'Eindhooven' means the Dutch town of Eindhooven, which has the Technische Hogeschool Eindhooven, initials T-H-E, or 'the'. The battalion commander for the last word was confirmed to be 'six', drawing from the radio call sign of the battalion commander, being the number itself."

"So that makes 'Death to the Voyager Six'..."

Spike bit his lip, before speaking up:

"Then what about the remaining of the messages?"

"It took Dresden's files to realize what it meant."

Winter sat down, beckoning Pinkie to do the same.

"Quiche is a dish with a pastry-crust and a lot of fillings. The solution could be any of the ingredients they've used. But Dresden's files pointed me to only one possibility: 'Custard'."

Twilight noticed Pinkie becoming more and more depressed, her mane flattening as the Patriarch continued explaining:

"The states of Alaeska, Rode Island and Weedsconsin then became the first name, due to the commas left there on purpose. They each have a town. A town whose name I'm sure you, Miss Sparkle, and Miss Dash are familiar with."

"Primrose."

"Primrose?!" the lavender unicorn gasped in disbelief.

"As in 'Primrose Custard' Primrose?!"

"The very same. That's why I had to leave Fenderville for a moment, knowing her abode was just several miles from the town. The only problem is when I get there..."

Pinkie started sobbing quietly, prompting Winter to place a hoof around her reassuringly.

"... I found her by the river, her body skewered on the rocks near Red North Bend. Pinkie found out about it when I forgot to keep the photos of her body I took for examination while on our ride here."

The pink pony suddenly stopped, looking at a bunch of photos. Her jaw hung agape with horror, her eyes glistening with it as well at the photos before her.

Winter immediately turned to look, which only made his heart drop.

The room plunged into silence, with only the sounds of the pink mare weeping in the Patriarch's suit.

"Primrose..." Twilight muttered, remembering the fresh smile on the mare's face, the bright attitude she gives.

"Wait," Rainbow broke the silence with a look of epiphany.

"If Primrose was one of the Voyager Six... would that mean that..."

Everypony turned to Pinkie in shock, who was now trying in vain to dry her tears.

"Correct," Winter said blatantly. "Her visit to Pendant Lakes wasn't coincidental either."

"Apart from Harmony, Diane's now the last Voyager standing."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"What are you doing here, my faithful subjects?"

Princess Celestia trudged through the woodlands, ducking under the spiky fingers of the branches reaching out to her.

Her sister was way ahead of her, her hooves no doubt used to rough terrain. One thousand years at the moon...

"Tia, we have to hurry!" the cerulean mare insisted, trotting back to her older sister.

"If the other dragons knew what happened to their leader-"

"I was implied that you said their plan was going to work?" Celestia interrupted, raising an eyebrow.

"And you're saying you want to coax them out from their leader's beliefs?"

"It's worth a shot!" Applejack exclaimed with a shrug.

"If anything goes wrong, we always have Fluttershy here to give them The Stare, or Vinyl here to power up her bass cannon..."

"Or I can pretty much write out invitations for some 'Who's The Best Dragon?' convention..." Lyra added in, much to the demise of her friends.

"I didn't say I was actually going to do it!"

"Well, Tia?" Luna asked.

"I think it's a good idea to reserve until after all the sneaking out we have to do."

"Alright, then. After Kanov'hin is restrained."

The alabaster mare smiled, curiosity begging her to ask:

"Who was responsible for the plan at hoof?"

Applejack just pointed outside the window, the two alicorns looking out in surprise.

There was Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, the three fillies laughing and skipping around the field. Right behind them, with a delighted smile on the face, was a cuddly, baby dragon, no doubt having fun chasing them across the green pasture.

"Wow..." Princess Luna said, marveled at their courage.

"I'm surprised the fillies would even dare to talk to the dragon."

Princess Celestia just smiled, watching at the giggling fillies from the window.

Oh, the sweet innocence of foalhood...

The white alicorn couldn't bear to chuckle at the thought of it. How she missed her foalhood right now.

"Where shall we stop for the night?" she asked her younger sister, trying to get the nostalgia out of her head.

"Just outside the Everfree, as planned."

Princess Luna gestured towards the open meadow beyond, pointing at a small burrow.

"We'll be safe for the night."

The alicorn just sighed, looking back at the majestic city of Canterlot.

A slight breeze tossed her mane around, the brown leaves of autumn blowing across the forest floor.

She felt something tingle above her nose, making her wrinkle her snout abruptly.

It wasn't long before she looked up into the sky, watching in awe at the scene before her.

"Snow..." she could only mutter, referring to the hundreds of the crystals cascading down to the floor.

Her sister looked in amazement. The arrival of snow signaled the beginning of winter. Celestia just chuckled as she muttered:

"Even the heavens know of our mission to Pendant Lakes."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"You?!"

Pinkie crawled backwards, her friends now advancing before her.

If it weren't for Winter standing right in front of her, she could imagine one of them pouncing onto her right now.

"Of all ponies, you!" Rainbow exclaimed in disbelief.

"Why didn't you tell us, Pinkie?" Twilight questioned.

"Darling!" Rarity added in.

"We're your friends, for Celestia's sake! Why did you hide it from us?!"

Spike's stare of silence seemed to be the most disturbing for the pink mare, as if disappointed and disgusted at her.

Pinkie cringed, clenching her eyes shut as her friends shouted, her mane flattened to her waist.

"Calm down, everypony," the dragon interrupted, much to the relief and surprise of the pink pony.

"I'm sure we all want an explanation from her. I can't believe this as well, but I'm sure she has her own story to tell."

Their rambles immediately stopped, the pink mare now emerging from seclusion under the curtain of her mane.

Winter muttered something into her ear, Pinkie's sniffles stopping almost abruptly.

"Y-You... you guys..."

"You can start from the beginning, Pinkie," Twilight said, trying to smile.

"We'll... try to understand..."

"Just go for it," the Patriarch muttered.

"W-Where shall I start..." the pink mare said, holding her breath.

"It was eight years ago, I guess. I was still working on the rock farm..."

~ * * * * * ~

"Pinkamena!"

"It's Pinkie, Daddy!" the pink mare exclaimed with glee, bouncing right beside her father.

"You know how I don't like the name you gave me!"

"You're still Pinkamena, my sweet filly," he responded with a laugh, brushing her mane aside.

"Look at you, my filly. All grown up right now."

"I'm only sixteen! That's like twice my age eight years ago! I'm going to launch so much parties in the world..."

The old stallion just laughed at her daughter's behavior despite her age. Her dream of 'spreading happiness to all four corners of Equestria' at first seemed crazy to the family, but after several disagreements and a small discussion with his mother, Clyde Pie had fully agreed upon it.

"So when would you be leaving?" he asked, his shovel clinking onto the floor.

Pinkie just snorted with laughter.

"You want me to leave that badly, Daddy? I said I'm going to leave when I'm eighteen, you know."

"Well, Inkamena and Blinkamena could always help out after they finished college," said the stallion, before bringing her closer.

"You were meant for something more than just farming rocks, Pinkamena."

He held in his breath, heaving his shovel up, before continuing:

"It takes time to grow rocks, just like it takes time to start a new life, but what you'll experience along your decision isn't the same as just watching rocks grow."

"Huh?" Pinkie could only say, tilting her head.

"You're still young," the stallion said with a chuckle.

"You'll learn and experience it yourself, but for now Mom needs somepony to help out with the groceries."

"Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!"

Before the stallion could answer, the pink mare raced into the house, leaving him chuckling in the dust.

"Pinkamena..."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"And the asparagus must be placed over there..."

Pinkie rolled it over with glee, prancing back to her mother.

"What else?"

"I think that's about it, Pinkamena."

The mare just pouted, making her mother chuckle.

"Alright then, if you insist. Pinkie, is it?"

"Yep!" she nodded, glancing out of the window. She suddenly clopped her hooves in delight, much to the surprise of her mother.

"Mommy, look! We have a visitor!"

"Really?" Sue Pie could only reply. "Nopony comes to these parts often."

She followed her daughter's excited gaze, before paling in horror.

"Pinkie. Go to your room."

"But why, Mom? Aren't we going to celebrate a 'Welcome To Our House' party?"

Pinkie scrunched her lips, yet her mother's serious expression remained firm.

"To your room, Pinkie."

"Fine," she replied with a sigh, slouching up the stairs before turning back.

"Not even a teensy-weensy party?"

"No."

Pinkie slumped back again, hearing the front door creak open. She peered from the stairwell, gazing at the colt that stepped in after his father.

He was nearly the same age as her father, judging from the slight wrinkles the both of them share in common. His coat was white; pale, ghost white, in fact, with his mane a contrasting black.

"So where is it?"

Pinkie stopped at the voice. It was merciless and cold, unlike anything she had ever heard before.

Her father's voice replied with an unnatural tremble:

"I told you we'll have it by next month."

"Tsk, tsk.... Clyde. You disappoint me yet again. By next month your interest rate would only increase at a grand scale, and you'll say that you'll be unable to pay me then!"

"I promise we'll have the rocks you asked us for."

There was a morbid chuckle. Pinkie strained her ears, hearing the sound of pacing hoofsteps as the other pony's voice sneered:

"I've known you for a decade now, Clyde. I was there at every bump of the road, especially at the birth of your youngest daughter."

"And? You were just there! You weren't supportive!"

"Look, I gave you bits when your family was in trouble. If not all five of you would be living on the streets right now, acting like those wretched beggars. What I ask for in exchange is just the same amount in rocks!"

"Of all things you asked us to farm!" her mother's voice broke in.

"I don't understand! Why do you need the rocks for?"

"You have no business to know."

"We gave you the rocks!" her father scowled, making Pinkie tense uneasily.

"We have Celestia's damn right to know!"

"Then I'll bet Inkamena and Blinkamena would beg to differ."

There was a long silence, Pinkie and her parents thrown into a state of shock.

"What did you do to them...?"

"Trust me. They're completely fine-"

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY DAUGHTERS?!"

"They're fine, Clyde, but not for long." the anonymous pony said with a chuckle.

Pinkie strained her ears, covering her soft gasp.

"Then there was your youngest one. Pinkamena, is it?"

"Don't you dare touch her!!"

"I never mentioned anything about that, Sue. I'm sure the both of you had asked her to run out the backdoor already."

A small click sounded through the room, her parents suddenly protesting loudly.

"Wait! W-We can talk about this-!"

"We've already finished talking about it. I have clients who are more aware of how to pay the gratitude they require for my services. Enough of this nonsense."

*BANG*

"SUE! CELESTIA-!"

"May Celestia have mercy on her soul. On yours as well."

*BANG*

Pinkie closed her watering eyes, gritting her teeth as she covered her ears, her mane flattening in an instant.

She peered down to the living room, watching the pony light a cigar.

"What a shame, Clyde." he said, looking down at her father. He was still breathing!

"We could've have something more, but you resorted to stick to your family."

The pony tossed the cigar onto the floor, the ragged carpet starting to catch fire.

"Sweet dreams."

As soon as the door slammed shut, Pinkie rushed down the stairs, her face twisted with horror at the blood spatters on the wall, the fire now spreading through the room.

"D-Daddy?" she muttered, watching her father panting on the floor.

Clyde forced out a smile, a small tear leaking out of his eye.

His trembling hoof gripped on his daughter's, managing to elicit a whisper:

"R-Run.... Pinkie..."

A beam landed right beside her, snapping her out of her shock.

"R-Run.... leave w-without..."

Pinkie hesitated for a moment, before lunging towards the door, the fire now consuming up to the walls.

She galloped, tears flying in the wind, towards the forest, the loud roar of flames chasing her off.

"Just run, Pinkie..." her father's voice rang in her head.

"Run.... and don't ever come back...."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Hooves exhausted... vision a blur...

Pinkie trudged through the mountainous woodlands, the bright moon the only source of light. It's been five days of non-stop walking, stopping at every puddle of water or cluster of white mushrooms she could spot.

The loud bangs... the laughing flames... everything was still so fresh in her mind...

*BOOM*

Her ears perked as the sound of loud explosions overhead, the flares of red and yellow whizzing from beyond the dense undergrowth.

Her hoof trampled onto the bushes, the pink mare now spotting a large gate right in front of her, standing tall in its magnificence.

The sounds of cheering burst from within, prompting Pinkie to gallop through the entrance.

She looked in awe at the colorful banners dangling from the windows; the dancing and clicking of hooves against the pavement in a brilliant celebration.

Ponies of all different colors filled the streets, oblivious to her rugged state.

"Somepony help me!" she yelled with her dry throat in vain.

"Somepony please!"

"Isn't it a wonderful dress?"

"Get all the delights you can buy! Come in right now!"

"Somepony?" she tried again; a squeak compared to the hurricane of voices blasting all around.

"Please! My father... my mother! They were-"

She felt herself trip as somepony knocked against her shoulder, falling to the pavement below with a yelp.

A few ponies seemed to have noticed her on the ground, though they only shook their heads in disgust.

"Somepony!" Pinkie tried one last time, before sobbing underneath her deflated mane.

Whispers and murmurs revolved around the crowd, no doubt gossips and criticisms about her unkempt state.

"STEP ASIDE!"

The loud, booming voice knocked her off her hooves, as Pinkie watched the audience tensed suddenly, their heads all tilted down with a humiliated bow.

The crowd parted, with the pink mare watching in amazement as a majestic being trotted up to her, the lips straight as a ruler, before curving into a smile.

"Miss? Are you alright?"

"P-Princess Celestia?"

Pinkie would know that alicorn anywhere. The esteemed ruler of Equestria itself.

"What is your name, my subject?" she asked.

"Name....give her your name...!"

The pink mare bit her lip, looking at all the curious eyes staring down at her. The Princess seemed graceful and serene though, calming the raging storm of emotions in her head.

"Pinkamena.... Pinkamena Diane Pie."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

One year later...

"Trauma is still rooted within her. She's not one that forgets about past events easily."

"I see, doctor." Princess Celestia replied, glancing at the door.

"Would it be alright to have a talk with her? I have a request to make..."

"Of course, your Majesty."

The white alicorn stepped into the room, her concerned gaze settling at the pink mare before her.

Pinkie was looking down at the sheets, letting small droplets of tears drip onto the white blanket. It took a fake cough to jolt the pink mare, who quickly wiped her eyes and asked:

"Y-Your Majesty? W-What is it?"

"Just making sure you're alright, Pinkie." she replied with a smile.

The mare was getting accustomed to her daily diagnose of tests and studies. She was having difficulty to adjust back to the normal life, judging from the one-of-a-kind times that she would insist for a morning walk.

"We're trying our best to help you."

"I hope."

A smile escaped the alicorn's face.

"Listen, Pinkie. I have a small request for you."

Pinkie's ears perked at the sound of that, turning to the Princess with a queer look.

"What is it?"

"I think it's time for you to open up. Meet some new friends. However..."

Princess Celestia opened the door, beckoning the pink mare to step outside.

"There are five particular ponies that I want you to meet."

The pink mare shuffled hesitantly in her bed, swallowing down a nervous lump.

"I guess i-it's okay," she said. What was she thinking?

"Let us go then, my subject."

Both mares exited the royal hospital room into the corridor, turning to the right.

The alicorn turned to Pinkie, who was now glancing around nervously. It's been a year that she talked to somepony else besides the princess herself and the doctors and nurses tending to her.

Both mares stopped at a blue pair of double doors, the alicorn giving a soft knock, before turning the handle.

Pinkie stopped at the sight of five ponies, all quickly standing up at the sight of the alicorn.

"Your Highness!"

"Settle down, my loyal subjects," she said with a chuckle.

"I have some incredible news for you."

Pinkie felt a hoof on her shoulder, gently bringing her forward much to the protests in her brain.

"This is Pinkamena Diane Pie, or Pinkie for short."

"She would be joining you as one of your own."

There was a chorus of soft murmurs between them, stopping only when the Princess continued:

"She hasn't had any friends for a year, so I expect the five of you to open up to her."

The alicorn started to leave, before saying:

"Understood?"

"O-Of course, your Highness!"

As soon as the door shut, Pinkie stood there, completely frozen. A part of her asked her to sit down. Make some real friends that you can depend on. Another part of her wanted her to jump out the window.

"Come on over!" said the caramel mare at the side. So much for jumping out the window...

Pinkie reluctantly sat on the chair, forcing out a smile at the five ponies before her. She turned to the mare that invited her to sit, glancing at the beakers of grounded flowers on the table, then to her Cutie Mark, being a sprig of a herb.

The mare reached out her hoof in greeting, saying:

"My name's Primrose. Primrose Custard, but really just call me Prim. Welcome to the Voyager Five... or Six, since you're here."

The pink pony just let out a nervous chuckle, the stallion across her now standing up. He had a bright blue coat, his mane a darker shade.

"Hey there, Pinkie." he said with a grin.

"I'm Dredges Deniers, nickname Dresden."

The blade twirling around his hoof only made Pinkie more nervous, a bead of sweat escaping her forehead.

"Uh.... um... h-h-hey?"

"Dres," the brown stallion right beside him said sternly with a flap of wings, looking up from the newspaper in his hooves. Judging from his deep voice, he seemed to be the oldest among the five.

"You're scaring her, you twit. Plus you're not suppose to use your weapons out of battle."

"Fine, daddy," he mocked.

"I'm still older than you," he shot back, making Dresden roll his eyes.

"By the way, I'm Charter Freewings," he spoke, turning to Pinkie.

"Hi!"

Pinkie nearly fell off her seat in surprise, Primrose catching her just in time.

A pale green mare was now giggling with laughter, happily shaking her frilled dress around.

"Sorry there. I'm just excited when we have new guests. My name's Gypsum! Gypsum Palgiot of the royal Palgiot family of Pendant Lakes!"

She squealed with glee, making Pinkie chuckle a little as she continued:

"But I'd rather you call me GP!"

"Alright.... hey, GP."

"Harmony?" Primrose suddenly spoke, turning to the last pony in the room.

She had bright pink skin, similar to Pinkie's, though her curled hair was purple. Looking up from the book, she let out a sigh, before saying:

"I'm Harmony. Harmony Peridot. Just call me by my first name."

Harmony then turned to Primrose, giving her an annoyed look.

"There. Happy?"

Her friend just scowled, turning to Pinkie.

"I'm sorry. Harmony's not the type to acknowledge guests."

Pinkie just smiled, looking at the five ponies before her. Dresden and Gypsum was laughing and dancing in the corner, much to the annoyance of Harmony. Charter just chuckled at the sight, with Primrose joining in as well.

"Come on, Pinkie!" she called to the pink mare.

"Show us what you got!"

With a laugh, Pinkie quickly scurried towards them, tossing her hooves in the air as the gramophone played a tune.

"Isn't this fun?" Gypsum said with a laugh, clopping her hooves to the beat.

The pink mare just giggled, her new-found friends laughing along as well.

"There was no doubt about it," she told herself.

"I don't want this to end."

~ * * * * * ~

"... and that's h-how I met them..."

The whole room was silenced, drawn into Pinkie's story.

"I'm s-sorry..."

"Hey, Pinkie," Twilight began, biting her lip.

"We didn't know-"

"It's okay," she cut in, glancing at all the apologetic faces around her, before turning to Winter.

"Shall we start?"

The Patriarch nodded in response, before heading to the door.

"Remember, everypony. We'll try to delay Mirror Mare with the ball. When you get in, you'll have to talk the Oracle."

"The who?"

"The Oracle. The being that oversees any progress in that dimension."

Winter opened the doors wide, stepping outside before he spoke:

"Don't be nervous in there, everypony. Good luck."

With that, he closed the door, Stellar and Caduceus now tying each knob with a firm lock, clasping it shut.

Winter slotted the key in, turning it with a click.

"Let's begin preparations for the ball," he ordered, quickly heading to the balcony.

"Of course, sir."

A brilliant flash of light suddenly burst from the cracks of the door to the library, prompting all three to turn.

"They're in."

"Quickly now," the Patriarch said, the two stallions now galloping down the hallway.

Closing his eyes, his horn flaring a bright blue whilst stepping out into a small balcony, he glanced up at the starry sky.

"Harmony..." he muttered to the mare, hoping she could hear.

"Don't do anything stupid..."

A giant beam suddenly shot from his horn into the sky, forming a giant dome around the palace and enveloping it with light blue magic. The corridors of the Palace started shifting, the hallways all contorting in different directions.

Winter bit his lip at the powerful, searing brilliance, his Cutie Mark now glaring white as well.

The mental timer in his head sounded off, the Patriarch muttering to himself:

"Time starts now."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Rarity mumbled, her head aching in pain, her eyes slowly opening.

Her blurry vision cleared, her hooves gripping tighter to Spike's claw as she looked at the world around her.

They were standing on a smooth, seemingly non-existent platform, hovering amidst the clusters of blue and black swirls of the sky, all being channeled into a dark pit below.

"Spike," she called to the dragon, stirring him up from unconsciousness.

"W-Where are we?" he asked, clutching at his pounding head.

"Rarity?" the white unicorn heard her name, turning to the direction of the echoing voice.

Twilight was galloping towards her, a relieved look on her face.

"I thought you guys never made it!"

"Twilight! We're over here!"

Rainbow and Soarin' quickly flew from above, before looking at the giant expanse of emptiness around them.

"Where are we?"

"Probably in the other dimension, as Winter said," the lavender unicorn replied, glancing at the cosmic space.

"Where's Pinkie?"

"Over here!" a voice cried out, making all of them turn.

Pinkie was galloping towards them, with Octavia and Crimson following right behind.

"Where's the Oracle?"

"I have no idea." Twilight said, glancing at the empty world.

"I don't even know how it looks like."

"Presumably, yes."

The eight ponies and one dragon turned back in surprise, a giant shadow now looming over them.

A black figure rose from the floor with tentacle-like hands, four black arms conjoined to his back, twitching with every sway of the creature's body. On one of his hands was a giant, swinging golden pocketwatch, the glass surface of it cracked. Its eyes were draped over with a pure white cloth, the only other feature on its face being a mouth with dozens of fangs protruding outwards.

"W-Who are you?" Rarity asked nervously, disgusted by the monster.

"I am the Oracle of this world. The Deity, the Overseer. In life I had a name; one that you ponies have very clear knowledge of."

The silent response only beckoned his tongue out, hissing like a snake.

"Axle was my name in life. In death, you can call me Saphir."

"Axle... Axle Palgiot?" Crimson asked.

"The very sssssame," he retorted, his mouth giving out a revolting grin.

"I suppose you're all here for a same reason, yes?"

Rarity stepped forward, trying to hold her head high at the creature.

"We're here to find out about the secrets of the Voyager Six."

"Ahh, yes... The Voyager Six. A cryptic, morbid secret kept by both sides, already in the final stages of Disequilibrium. No doubt one of the most fascinating cases of Pendant Lakes. However..."

One of his tentacle arms reached down to the white mare, making her step back in repulsion.

"A payment is required."

"Payment? Oh great!"

Rainbow kicked her hooves, Soarin' now stomping down on her signature tail as the pegasus flapped her wings rapidly, trying to free herself from her coltfriend's tight grip.

"Let me at 'em! Let me go! I'm gonna give this brute his payment!"

"No need for brashness, Rainbow," Rarity said, stopping them in surprise.

"I've got just the thing."

From her hoof, she tossed a golden pocketwatch, which slid towards the Oracle. He licked his lips greedily, his tentacle reaching down and grabbing the device.

The white mare smiled. It was lucky she decided to bring Olive's pocketwatch to the palace.

"Fascinating. Then feast your eyes!"

The arms protruding from his back quickly arranged themselves, forming a swastika symbol as his tentacle appendages warped a small, indigo ball before them.

The ponies watched in awe as the purple ball grew, bursting out into the empty expanse they're in.

"Enjoy the show," the creature said, before fading into nothing.

"Well," Rarity said, biting her lip.

"Here we go."

Pinkie nodded, the empty world around them now starting to fill up with warping entities.

The faint sound of fanfare clicked into her mind, remembering clearly of what happened that day as she muttered to herself:

"And so it begins..."

PreviousChapters Next