• Published 8th Nov 2015
  • 2,362 Views, 61 Comments

End of Loyalty - SteffaniStar



After Rainbow's return to Ponyville, things got out of control, but it's even worse when an ancient evil gets his eyes on the Mane 6...

  • ...
13
 61
 2,362

Chapter 11

When the doors of Twilight’s castle opened, Luna and Twilight rushed to prepare a bed to lay Rainbow on, while others were looking for bandages for her. She was still unconscious.



Applejack and Rarity rushed to get all medical supplies they may need, while Pinkie decided to go in the kitchen to bring them all some fresh water, at least to just soak their painful, dry throats. Luna and Celestia remain by the side of Dash’s bed, quietly weeping, while Twilight was cleaning her wounds and wrapping them in clean bandages.



Nopony spoke. Their wounds about their deepest secrets were still fresh, still open. They didn’t even dare to look each other in the eyes. Soon after, they all separated in different corners of the room, trying to help Rainbow as best as they could.



Pinkie took empty glasses from the shelf and opened the tap. She struggled to keep it from leaking, because her hooves were still shaking from the shock. She let out a sigh, trying to calm herself down. After she filled seven glasses, she placed them on a platter and slowly walked, hoof by hoof, trying not to spill or break them. Unfortunately, one bandage rolled over and she didn’t see it. She accidentally stepped on it, but luckily, all the glasses stayed in place. Except for one that fell on the nearby table Twilight was holding her medical supplies on. The glass didn’t hurt anypony, but the water soaked a couple of bandages and spilled right on Rainbow’s face. Pinkie’s eyes widened, so she quickly placed the glasses on the table and rushed to Rainbow.



Soon after, they heard a painful moan and sharp coughing. Twilight’s tears once again began to fall, as she was watching Rainbow slowly opening her eyes.




“Uh…w-what…where am…I?” Rainbow quietly spoke, while her eyes were looking over the room. She quickly recognized familiar faces. Warn relief of happiness ran through her heart, but was shortly cut off by Twilight’s warm embrace.



“Rainbow! You’re alive! I’m so sorry for everything that happened! I’m so happy you’re alive!” Twilight hugged her, and soon joined the rest of her friends, screaming of happiness. Twilight’s nightmare was finally over, turned into back to another beautiful dream.



“It’s my fault… I… I should’ve… but I’m so happy you’re alive!” Rainbow returned the embrace and let the tears fall. “But… Deathmist… what… what happened to you? What happened to him? Is he gone? I can’t remember anything after I was hit…” Rainbow asked, but nopony said anything in response. They were all turning their heads away from her, until Luna finally spoke.



“I… perhaps, it will be better if Twilight explains everything to you”


----------------------------

“I… I can’t believe it! How… why did he… but that was…” Rainbow couldn’t select the right words to describe the situation. However, Twilight didn’t mention her about Deathmist exposing their secrets. She felt that was topic to discuss later, after all this mess is cleared. Maybe… maybe somepony could mention it now?



“Yes, it was quite shocking, even for me, to again use my dark powers, but I could not just betray you like that. I have had enough of this monster, and I could not stand him hurting you like that” Luna spoke, looking at Rainbow. She then glanced to Celestia, who stood up, preparing to leave.



“I must apologize, but the royal duties cannot be put away. I’m afraid it is time to go. Luna, shall we?”




“We shall, my sister. I am glad you are safe, and if anything happens in the meantime, we will come as soon as possible” Luna said and walked over to Celestia. Celestia’s horn glowed in gold aura, and with a bright flash, they disappeared. Now, room was filled with silence, which was soon broken by Applejack’s words.



“Um, Twilight? I was… I was wondering… about… about what happened at the castle…”



“What happened at the castle? Except for Luna being super awesome? Wait… are you hiding something from me?” Rainbow replied to Applejack. To her surprise, Applejack looked away. Fluttershy and Pinkie did the same.



“I… if you want to, and I think it would be better for all of us, we can discuss it now” Twilight suggested, feeling a little bit uneasy.



“Discuss what?” Rainbow spoke, now feeling a bit angry. She didn’t like when girls acted mysterious.



“There was something I didn’t mention you. At the castle, when that creature captured you, you… well, Deathmist, started talking about our… hidden secrets, thinking it would make us fight. And… now, I think we should all finally admit our emotions, and finally get rid of that stone that’s pressing our heart…” Twilight spoke, glancing over the room. Applejack decided to go first.



“I… what Deathmist said… it was true. It was all true” Applejack’s eyes watered.
“I couldn’t stand all that bragging about Twilight. I’m sorry, but I just couldn’t. Yes, my family is well respected in Ponyville, but Twilight was always the number one. I couldn’t stand it. Every day, every event, every adventure, every villain… it was like we were always helpless, and Twilight was always the hero. All that Elements of Harmony mess… ”
“But every time, the farm suffered. I could no longer stand seeing my brother dead tired every day, but even after all the sacrifices he’s made, he’s still willing to sacrifice everything to keep the farm going”
“I admit, I was jealous. There, I said it. I was jealous. You all built great carriers anypony would be proud of, and me? I’m just a muddy earth pony. I’m not, nor will I be something as big as you. And because of that, I would sometimes cry myself to sleep, knowing that I couldn’t change anything. But I still kept going. And I will. I accepted my destiny and now… I learned how to live with it” Applejack said, with fresh tears in her eyes. Her friends comforted her with a warm embrace, and she no longer felt that anger and envy she felt before. She felt easier and happier.



“I… I tried to change. I really tried. But I couldn’t. Every effort was worthless. And I always make a mistake. And I always regret it. But the scars remain.” Rarity lowered her head, and continued.



“When I was still starting to discover talents of my cutie mark, I received a large order. I thought I could make it, but I didn’t. Everypony laughed at me, and I cried for days. I swore to never make another dress again, but eventually, as the mocking stopped, I was slowly coming out of my shadow, but since then… everything had to be perfect. And that’s why I’m always mad at Sweetie. I don’t really mean it, but I’m afraid… I’m afraid that mistake will happen to me again. And I couldn’t take it”
“And… the reason I like to… show off is because… nopony actually noticed me until I met you. I would always be alone at the lunch, I barely had any friends, and I was sick of it. I was sick of being alone. But every time I tried to make some friends, they would cut me off the next minute. The boys thought I was weird because I was always alone, they thought I was a freak, but in reality… I only needed a friend!” Rarity wept in Twilight’s embrace. After a couple of moments, she calmed herself down, and sighed in relief.



Rainbow was at the breaking point. Sure, she noticed her friends were behaving odd sometimes, but how could they keep all this in? Well, the same way she does.



“I always thought I was useless. Ever since flight school.” Fluttershy wiped away her tears and spoke.
“I couldn't even fly properly! And seeing all those ponies around me being successful… it hurts. It hurts to see that. I am happy for all of them, I really am, but I can’t stop wondering how it feels to succeed, how it feels to be the winner. How it feels to lay in your bed every night, and think: ‘I did something I am proud of.’ I tried that by opening a pet clinic, but it failed after a few days. I never felt so miserable in my whole life!”
“I’ve tried to get over it, but seeing you, and then looking at me… I felt worse every single day. I thought nopony loved me, because I was so afraid of everything. And that rope in my closet…” Fluttershy began to sob harder. Rainbow gave her a comforting embrace.
“I was even afraid to commit suicide! I felt like the biggest coward ever!” Fluttershy hid her head in Rainbow’s chest, weeping. Rainbow was brushing her mane, tears also falling down her cheeks.



“I found out about my real family when I found an old picture in the attic at the rock farm. My parent then told me anything. I… I can’t describe how I felt that moment, or especially after I finally met Surprise in Canterlot. That was the best day of my life” Pinkie finally spoke.
“I loved to fly with her. I felt… I felt so happy… but I was afraid how you would react to her. You didn’t really get along with Maud, and you already have trouble with me, now imagine me twice. And with wings!”
“I waited for some time, but I waited too long. And when she… I felt like somepony took a piece of my heart. A piece of my soul. I couldn’t fight the depression. I didn’t want to tell you because I couldn’t stand you sad, and sad because of me. My only goal is to make everypony smile, especially my friends, and that is the most serious of serious promises I will never break” Pinkie smiled, fresh tears soaking her fur. Twilight and the rest broke into tears and hugged. Walls of secrets are down. They felt easier and free. No more secrets were on their way. No more fighting. All that is left now is comfort and friendship, friendship that will carry on.

--------------------

FEW HOURS LATER

“Rainbow, I don’t want to pressure you, but… is there something you want to tell us?” Twilight asked, while holding a book in her hoof. They were gathered at the library, enjoying themselves. Twilight still didn’t forget Rainbow’s odd behaviour. She tried to ask her politely this time, learning from her past mistakes.



To her surprise, Rainbow replied.



“There is, actually. But first, I need to visit one place…”