• Published 20th Oct 2015
  • 819 Views, 87 Comments

Life in the Fast Lane - TheAmazingMe



Now that Life has a family of his own, he has everything he never thought he deserved...and a lot more to lose. Can this new bond last in the face of adversity?

  • ...
 87
 819

Beauty and the Beast Part 2

"Erede, it does not do to bring up old names." Genuine said briskly.

"Genuine, you've been avoiding me a little too long. You didn't even attend my father's funeral." Erede admonished. "You think you can leave just like that? Especially with that loose end you left hanging." He looked at me pointedly.

Genuine stepped between us protectively. "Leave him and his family out of this."

"You think a little death-bed promise from my old sire is going to mean anything to me?" Erede asked, irritated.

She stepped up to him. From over Erede's shoulder, I saw a big stallion start forward. The guy was built like a hoofball player. Somehow, somepony squeezed this massive stallion into a suit jacket. I started to rise. "No, but a promise from Carina Locale is more than enough to keep your hooves off, isn't it?" I froze. The name buzzed in my brain for a moment before I remembered. The owner of Del Posto Cavallino. Was there a Bitalian restaurateur who didn't have a hoof in the Canterlot underground?

Erede let out a slow hiss. "What did you do?"

"You might have your contacts in the city guard, but I've got plenty of contacts of my own. Let's say I made a deal." Genuine said, pulling her mane out of her scarf and lowering her glasses.

"Tell me." Erede growled.

"You so much as set a hoof on me? It'll be all out war on the streets. You don't know even a quarter of Carina's operations, but she knows yours. I gave them to her. Who do you think is going to survive a turf war?" I sat back down with a small thud. Looking down, I stared at my menu. These two were actually talking about a gang war? What in Luna's name had I gotten myself into?

"You better get outta town, Rake. I see you again, and you won't be happy." Erede threatened.

She shook her head. "Leave the writer and his family alone too, Red. They're part of my bargain with Locale. They've got protectors. Not to mention his husband is a royal guard. And they got your little hired thug and the mercenary put away pretty easily."

Erede shrugged. "We'll see. All it takes is a little bad luck, Rake. Make it look like an accident. Nopony would know."

She got in his face. The big bodyguard stood at Erede's side, ready to push her back. Erede motioned him away. "I'm telling you to walk away with your tail tucked between your legs, or you won't have a tail, Red."

He snarled. "Go to tartarus, Genuine. It'll be the safest place for anypony foolish enough to try and pull what you two have." He turned around and walked out of the café, his muscle following behind.

Genuine turned back to face me. "How much of that was bull?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Not much. Locale remembered you when I described her. Apparently, you have a talent for attracting attention from the worst types of ponies." She said.

I rolled my eyes. "Tell me about it."

She sat back down and looked me in the eye. "She does have enforcers on your place and your kid. Your husband's line of work, however...well it makes tailing him hard. Your boy is fast. Even a pegasus has trouble keeping an eye on him."

That was both comforting and upsetting. "Carina must be pretty well-established." I remarked.

Genuine nodded. "She has the second-biggest operation in the city. The only other racket in town, by the way. And her agreement with Patri died with him. She hates Red more than I do. They might negotiate a truce, but she'll cut into his businesses before bringing him into a bargaining situation. You'll have until then to find a way to get out of the city. The Crystal Empire is safe, that much I know."

"What about you? He'll come after both of us the second he knows Locale won't bring the city down around him."

"Don't worry about me." She said, rolling her eyes. "I'll be safe. It's better if you know as little as possible."

"I know enough to get myself and everypony I love killed, Genuine." I observed.

She sighed, and sat back down. "I'm sorry about that, Life. Really I am. All of this because I let you know too much. It was stupid of me then. There was just something about you, something that made me feel like I could tell you anything. And I guess when you live a lie long enough, you either start believing it or it kills you inside. I've been dying for a while, with no way out."

"Genuine." I said, but I was unsure what to say.

She blinked, and shrugged the contemplative look off. Breathing in, she looked back at me and slapped a hoof on the table. "Anyway, I bought you the time you needed. Don't waste it. Convince your family to move. Shouldn't be too hard, just threaten to move and keep the grandfoal away. Your husband could transfer to the Crystal Empire guard with no problem, I'm sure." She stood up again. "If we ever see each other again, I can't promise that we'll be in a good situation. Best of luck, Life."

With that, the mare that waltzed into my life with all the grace of a tornado, trotted back out the door.

"Your order, sir?" The waiter asked belatedly. "And will the mare or stallion be returning?"

"I hope not." I answered.

***

Walking through the front door, my mind was numb. I kept replaying the scene, over and over. When I'd break out of that cycle, I'd fall right into thinking about what we could even do. Would Div want to leave Luna's Guard? Was that even a good career choice? Could we count on Locale to protect us from Erede?

Div came down the stairs, dressed in his House Guard armor with his Nightmare Night costume slung casually over his back. "Thank Luna, I can't believe it took so long to find that market you wanted in Nightfall. You didn't get jumped by any other ponies from your past, did you?"

My face must have given away my state of mind, because he was standing in front of me before I even knew he was there. Tilting my head up, he looked into my eyes. "What happened?"

"Genuine..." I started, but the thought ended there like an unfinished road.

Taking me by a hoof, he guided me into the sitting room just off the foyer and sat me down. "What happened? Did they find her? Is she...dead?"

I shook my head. "We're in danger. She got accidentally got us involved in something big between the criminal families in Canterlot. We're not safe here. Or, we won't be if Erede decides to come after us. It'll be a war here in the streets."

Div held both hooves up. "Woah, hold on there. War? Between us and who?"

I shook my head. "Between Delmaneco and Carina Locale."

Div spat a Bitalian curse. "Is my family the only ones from Bitaly with no criminal ties? I swear, if I have an uncle who owns some Bitalian Restaurant in the Market District, we will stay as far away as possible."

"What do we do?" I asked.

Div thought for a moment and then shrugged. "What is stopping Erede from going after us right now?"

"Genuine ratted out all of his illegal operations to Carina Locale. Locale could launch her whole family against Delmaneco without fear of a counter-attack. As soon as Erede has something Locale wants, or gets enough power and ponies to weather out a gang war, he'll come after us."

"So we can go to the party tonight?" He asked.

I slammed my hooves on my knees. "Why on Equestria are you thinking about the party tonight?"

"Because Luna will be there." He explained.

"Oh. Oh!" I replied, eloquently. "Then yes. Bruiser is with the grandparents, yes?"

"Eeyup." He replied.

I nodded. "Then let me get into my costume and let's go."

Author's Note:

A little on the short side, but boy, is this just the beginning.