• Published 9th Oct 2015
  • 360 Views, 3 Comments

An Assistant - samstermlp



Discord isn't pleased when Princess Celestia give him an assistant, but what seems like a major pain in the flank turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

  • ...
 3
 360

Chapter Two

Author's Note:

The chapters are going to be pretty short. They'll get longer as the story progresses.:derpytongue2:
Hope people like this!

“Oh no! No, no, no, no, no! There is no way I am going to babysit an annoying little filly!” Discord exclaimed, glaring at Celestia. “All she’ll do is bounce around asking questions, breaking things and being loud!”

“No, I won’t, Mr. Discord!” the little unicorn said earnestly. “I promise I won’t be loud or annoying at all! I’ll be the perfect assistant, I promise!” Celestia walked over to the little filly and bent her head down.

“Musica, why don’t you go wait outside for a minute?”

“But...”

Celestia gave her a look.

Musica looked down. “Okay,” she mumbled. She slowly trotted out of the room. Once the doors closed behind the filly, the princess turned to Discord.

“I won’t do it, Celestia.”

Celestia carefully considered before she began. “Discord, I know you’re not one for children, but I think she will be a great help to you. Musica is an extraordinarily intelligent filly for her age. She will be a great help to you in your ongoing search for Chrysalis. That’s not the only reason I chose her to be your assistant though. I know that these last ten years have not softened the blow of Fluttershy’s loss.” Discord flinched slightly. “And I know her friends have tried to help you. But they were her friends as well as yours and they remind you of her. I believe that somepony who has no connection at all to Fluttershy will be most helpful. I would have done this much sooner, but you snapped at everyone the first couple of years and spent most of the rest either shut in your room or taking unannounced trips to any place that Chrysalis has the faintest connection to. You’ve been staying here for the most part recently, so I decided to take advantage of the fact.”

Discord folded his arms. “So basically you’re doing this out of pity for me.”

Celestia shook her head. “Not completely. I’m also doing this for Musica. She’s an orphan with a huge advantage in magic and mental capacity compared to the other orphans. She has nearly the same amount of magic potential that Twilight did at her age.” Discord looked skeptical. “It’s true. I would take her as my student, but I am very busy with organizing a meeting of the various leaders. I may still take her as a student, but there’s no knowing when that will be possible. This way, she will be able to pick up a few tricks. After all, you are a very powerful being.”

Discord still didn’t look convinced. “But the same would go for Luna,Cadence, or Twilight. Shining Armor could work too.”

Celestia nodded. “That is true, which brings us to my next point. Musica isn’t an ordinary orphan. Her parents’ identities are completely unknown. There are other orphans in this situation, but they were all left on the doorstep, usually with a note. Musica was found by one of the volunteers at the orphanage while the mare was taking a walk by the edge of the Everfree. Musica had nothing, no basket, no clothes, no diaper. She was wailing at the top of her lungs. The volunteer took her back to the orphanage, where she grew up. She was teased for her unusually often magic surges and because she had already had her cutie mark when she was found.”

“She had a cutie mark when she was a baby?”

“Apparently. I believe that having a mentor who knows what that feels like to be teased because of something that is out of their control would be beneficial for her. Despite the teasing, she is a very nice filly. And she won’t get in your way. She’s quite helpful,” Celestia finished. “Please at least consider it. I must get back to work now, and I assume you must as well.” Discord nodded and turned, mulling things over in his head as he left the room. As soon as he exited the throne room, he was confronted with Musica.

“Please let me be your assistant, Mr. Discord! I promise I’ll be helpful! Pretty please with magic on top?” she said with big blue puppy eyes. Discord looked away, trying not to remember the big teal eyes that had broken his resolve many a time. He sighed. “ I suppose a trial wouldn’t hurt.” Musica cheered and bounced around the room.

“Hold on!” he said loudly. Musica quieted down instantly. “There are three conditions. One, no loudness, chatter, or generally annoying noise. Two, no bouncing around or making messes you can’t clean up. Three, there is to be no mention of or reference to a mare named Fluttershy.” Musica tilted her head in confusion at the last one.

“Who’s Flutter..” Discord glared at her. “Sorry.” But as she followed Discord down the hallway, she couldn’t stop a wide grin from spreading across her face.