• Published 4th Oct 2015
  • 1,503 Views, 44 Comments

Ebony and Ivory: Growing up Changeling - SGZone



A collection of one shots chronicling Queen Chrysalis's adopted children as they grow up.

  • ...
4
 44
 1,503

Doctor's Visit.

Chrysalis gently stroked Ebony’s back as he and Ivory rested their heads on her lap. Their tiny bodies barely taking up the rest of the train seat. The royal family was traveling incognito to a small hamlet known as Ponyville. The reason for their covert travel plans was a doctor’s appointment. While Dr. Hale was doing his best to learn about humans he was not a real human doctor. And a couple of recent discoveries had Chrysalis worried for the two particularly Ebony. It had been a few weeks since they had discovered that the two were burst magic Equestrians. In reading the book Dr. Hale gave to her Chrysalis discovered some troubling information. While Ivory should be fine with an average level of mana. Ebony appears to be blessed with a much higher level of magic. However, this blessing is not without its curse and could be problematic for the boy growing up. As his body may be too small for his vast mana reserves. Possibly permanently damaging him; to the point that he could never use magic. Even if everything goes well. He’ll be growing up with severe cramps among other complications.



Sadly that wasn’t the only problem surrounding Ebony that she worried about. While Ivory had begun speaking basic words (mostly cup, ball and mama) Ebony was rarely spoke. When he did it was mostly babbles. He could say things like Ma and Ba but still not full words.



The conductor’s voice booming over the intercom rudely interrupted her bit of reprieve. “Now arriving in Ponyville.” Chrysalis gently picked up her two sons and placed them into the baby carriage that Arthemis let her use. Chrysalis stretched out her stiff limbs. It had been a long train ride from the small trade outpost of Appleossa. She quickly tidied up her fake long black hair before departing from the train car. The Queen of the Changelings was disguised as a tan skinned equestrian woman with green eyes. Chrysalis sucked in the sights of the small town. There was a big red barn on the horizon. What appeared to be bakery in the shape of a gingerbread house. A hollowed out oak tree, and a building in the shape of a carousel. To name a few that caught Chrysalis’s eye.



“What a quaint little town.” She said to herself strolling down the dirty main street. Contrary to popular belief the Queen of the Changelings did not mind getting a little dirty. “If I hadn’t adopted you. You both probably would have ended up here.” Chrysalis said leaning over the carriage. Ebony was still asleep from the train ride but Ivory was wide awake.



“Ball.” Ivory said pointing at Chrysalis. Chrysalis was unamused.



“It’s Mama, Ivory.” Chrysalis deadpanned. “Still though this isn’t a bad place to be. I’ve always enjoyed these rustic Equestrian towns. Been years since I’ve visited one though.” Chrysalis continued looking around at the many small vendors that flanked her. ‘Still even the most charming of hamlets can’t beat the castle.’ She smiled.



After a couple more blocks a large green plus sign signaled her destination. As she entered the door a bell chimed in for her arrival.



“Hello there may I help you?” The receptionist asked smiling at them.



“Hello my name is Phantasia. I’m here for a checkup for my two children.” Phantasia responded.



“Alright, have you scheduled an appointment?” She asked.



“No, we don’t have an appointment whenever you can get us in would be fine.” She stated.



“Oh okay please have a seat in the waiting room.” She requested waving them over to a couple of chairs.



“Thank you.” Phantasia said flashing a small smile and walking over. Sitting down she noticed that there was a small area filled with toys and other little play things. “Oh look you guys can go play over there.” Phantasia cooed lifting them up and out of their stroller and onto the floor. The still sleep Ebony stood for a moment but quickly fell on his bottom. The two looked at the woman in confusion.



“Look.” She reiterated pointing at the small playroom. The two turned around and their little eyes lit up at all the new things to play with.



“Yay!” Ivory cheered waddling over to the area as fast as his little legs could carry him. Ebony didn’t say anything but stood up and followed his brother.



“Why doesn’t Ebony say something?” Chrysalis muttered as the two investigated the area. Just as she said that the door opened and the bell signaled another customer.



“Hey there Golden Harvest and little Applejack!” Phantasia heard the receptionist coo.



“Howdy, Redheart. How goes the studying?” She heard a southern accent respond.



“You know difficult but I’m managing.” Redheart replied.



“Well keep on it. I’m sure you’ll be a nurse in no time.” Golden Harvest Chirped.



“Thanks Dr. Cobalt will be with you shortly if you could take a seat.” Phantasia looked over to the receptionist desk to get a look at this Golden Harvest. Phantasia’s eyes widened. She was impressed. The woman was built like an oak. Tall, strong and sturdy not even a hurricane could topple her. She had long golden hair that poured out of a brown stetson hat with bright green emerald eyes. She had bronze skin from the sun's rays with little white freckles on her face. In her arms was a little baby girl that was her spitting image. She had her mother’s golden hair, freckles, and emerald eyes. As green as Ivory’s.



“Howdy there my name is Golden Harvest.” She smiled walking over to Phantasia. “Mind if I sit here?” She asked pointing at the seat next to Phantasia.



“Oh by all means.” Phantasia replied scooting her chair a bit to make more room.



“Thank you kindly.” She replied plopping down on the empty chair. “Look AppleJack we gotta couple of new friends here today.” Golden Harvest then placed her daughter on the floor and gently nudged her to the two princes. AppleJack smiled and wobbled over to the play area. Phantasia eyed the girl as she walked over to her sons. Now that they were next to each other she saw just how much larger the girl was compared to them. She could easily accidentally hurt the two.



“So those two are yours I’m assumin’” Golden Harvest chirped breaking Phantasia’s thoughts.



“Oh yes, there names are Ivory and Ebony.” She replied pointing to each respectively.



“Ebony and Ivory, huh. Weird names but fitting I think.” She smiled. “So you’re here for your first ever check up with them huh?” Phantasia was a bit taken back.



‘How did she know?’ Phantasia thought eyeing the woman suspiciously catching Golden Harvest’s attention.



“Oh I’m sorry didn’t mean to spook ya. You look just like me when I came here with my first born.” Golden Harvest chuckled.



“Oh you mean AppleJack isn’t your oldest?” Phantasia asked.



“Nope, my eldest is my son Big Macintosh. Whoo I’ll tell ya when I came here I was sweating enough to fill my hat up.” She said slapping her knee.



“I see.”



The two sat in an uncomfortable silence content with watching the children play. Ebony was building up some blocks he found. While AppleJack and Ivory were throwing a ball between each other. AppleJack then pitched a fastball to Ivory. He flailed his arms trying to catch the speedy projectile. Though he ended up batting the ball knocking over a portion of Ebony's structure. The mothers gasped a little afraid of the inevitable cries that were to follow. Ebony looked down at his toppled hard work but did not cry. Instead he grabbed the ball and threw it at a part of his building that was still standing. Ebony let out a shrill giggle as the blocks fell. AppleJack laughed too picking up on the new fun to be had.



The two mothers breathed a sigh of relief as it seems the mini crisis was averted.



“Whoo that was almost a catastrophe. That Ebony of yours is cooler than a cellar in winter.” Golden Harvest exclaimed.



“Yes I guess he is. I just wish he wasn’t so quiet.” Chrysalis responded.



“Quiet? You mean he doesn’t talk much?” Golden Harvest asked.



“Yes, I’m more than a little worried that something’s wrong with him.” She replied surprising herself that she was so forthcoming with information. Especially to an Equestrian.



“Ah don’t worry about it.” Golden Harvest sighed. “He’s probably just not much of a talker. I had the same thing happen with my Big Macintosh. He’s never said much but he’s as smart as they come.” Golden Harvest said reassuring the disguised queen. “Besides look at him does that look like a kid with a few screws loose?”



Chrysalis looked to her son as he began to restack the blocks. Thinking about it the farm woman had a point. While he never spoke the words he clearly understood them. Pointing at the right pictures in their book when prompted.



“I guess you're right. I just can’t help but worry about them. I would still love them no matter what but I’m still frightened of what that might mean. ” Chrysalis confessed. Golden Harvest put a reassuring hand on the woman’s shoulder and flashed her a knowing smile.



Chrysalis looked at Golden Harvest and smiled back at her. Returning her attention to the children playing.



“You have an older one. Does it ever get easier?” Chrysalis asked. “The worries, the fears, do they ever stop?”



“Can’t say they do. My Big Mac is about 6 years old now but I worry over him just the same as back then.” Golden Harvest replied wistfully.



“Thought so.” Chrysalis said gazing at her boys laughing along with Applejack.



“I have no idea what I’m doing.” Chrysalis sighed.



Golden Harvest burst out in rich southern laughter at Chrysalis’s admission.



“Yeah join the club.” Golden Harvest said wiping a tear from her eye. Chrysalis chuckled.



“So what are we doing then?”



“Our best I think. We teach ‘em what we know. Teach ‘em right and wrong. How to be kind stuff like that. But also let them make their own mistakes and grow into their own person. I guess. I don’t really know either.” She admitted. The two shared a chuckle at their realizations.



“I guess you’re right.” Chrysalis nodded. As she said that the doctor’s door swung open and a woman with big puffy purple hair stepped through. Clutching a small child with darker violet hair.



“Well thank you so much for everything Doctor. You’ve been an absolute dear.” She chimed in a midwestern accent thicker than a cheese wheel.



“It’s my pleasure Mrs. Crumbles.” The doctor replied “Just give Rarity the medicine and she should be feeling better in no time.” He then turned his attention to the baby in her arms. “As for you little lady you need to eat your vegetables when your mother tells you.” He smiled. However, she was clearly having none of his lies about vegetables and blew a raspberry in his face.



“Adorable.” The doctor muttered wiping off a bit of baby spit from his face.



“Rarity that is not how a lady behaves!” Her mother scolded accenting her words with a fierce finger wagging.



“That little hellion still giving you trouble Cookie?” Golden Harvest cheekily smiled.



“Oh shut up Golden. Rarity is not a hellion she’s just a little sick so she’s a little cranky. Right sweetie?” Cookie Crumbles cooed holding up her daughter. Rarity glared at her mother and turned her head in a huff.



“See? Sick and cranky.”



“Alright well hope she gets better. We still good for that date next saturday?” Golden Harvest asked.



“We should be providing Rarity is feeling better. She should be right doctor?” Cookie turned to the doctor.



“As long as she takes the medicine she’ll be healthy in a week.” He replied.



“Then I guess we're still on sweetheart.” Cookie said winking at Golden Harvest.



“See you then baby.” Golden winked back as Cookie took her leave.



“Something going on between you two?” Phantasia asked a wry smile forming on her face.



“Don’t you be getting any ideas too. We just like to joke about it. Considering people thought we were something before getting married. Some still do I think.” Golden harvest replied with a wink.



“I’m not surprised. I think you’d make an adorable couple.” Phantasia teased.



“Oh, shut up.”



“Alright, Golden Harvest if you’re ready I’ll see you now.” The doctor interrupeted gestruing for the woman to enter the room.



“Oh, tell you what Phantasia you can take my spot if you want.” Golden Harvest offered.



“No you go ahead. I’m sure you have some work to do after this being a farmer and all. I took the day off for this so I don’t mind waiting a little longer.” Phantasia kindly waving her off.



“Wow able to take the day off for an appointment you must have some gig.” Golden Harvest grinned picking up AppleJack. “Well it was a pleasure to meet you. Don’t be a stranger.” She chirped walking into the room as the door closed behind them.


“Well you two maybe we should come back here more often.” Chrysalis grinned. As her boys continued to stare at the closed door where their new friend disappeared behind.

Author's Note:

Chapter 2. I think for this story I'm going to start naming the chapters. Tried some new things with my writing this time. So feel free to comment and criticize. It always helps.