• Published 5th Oct 2015
  • 303 Views, 0 Comments

Dawn of the Dinosaur - Jongoji245



Wanting to find his origins once and for all, Cosgrove joins an expedition.

  • ...
 0
 303

Chapter 2 (Old Timeline): The Lonely Journey

1 week 5 days before School.

It was nine in the morning when a loud knock was heard. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Cosgrove walked to the front door and opened it. He then looked up at a light yellow mare with dark brown hair and blue shirt.

"Hello, I am Michelle Mareven, and i-"

"Sorry, I already paid this month's rent, come back next time." - Cosgrove closed the door. He walked a few steps before walking back and opening the door. The mare was still there. - "What was your name again?"

A few hours have passed as Cosgrove, his adoptive grandparents, and the Mane Six were in a conversation with this Michelle Mareven.

"That is impossible! Nopony has come to the Far North and survived!" Shouted Twilight Sparkle.

"We have proof that the Far North is indeed inhabitable." Said Michelle as she drew out a golden, glowing flower.

"Is that... The Night flower?" Twilight looked at the beautiful flower - "But they went extinct since the Ice Ages."

"A story all too familiar." The zoologist pony said as she looked at Cosgrove.

"What does this mean for him?" Lion Tamer Asked

"If two times the luck, then maybe..." Marevin began eyeballing the colt

Cosgrove's eyes widened. This pony knows just where his kind are. But as he opened his mouth, a violet leg blocked his path.

"But there could be dangers there we haven't faced." Twilight added

"Yeah, what if Santa Hooves is in fact evil. And our childhoods would be ruined forever!"

"Pinkie, this is-" Rarity was going to stop Pinkie before

"FOREVAR!!!"

"How long will it be?"

The other ponies looked at Cosgrove then to the famous explorer

"Five days." answered Michelle

Cosgrove looked at his friends and adoptive grandparents. Lion Tamer gave him a hard look. The young Hipparion lowered his head and gave a slow nod.

"Five days." - Cosgrove raised his head at those words and saw Lion Tamer was face to face with Michelle. -"And he better be back safe and sound."

"Oh don't you worry. He'll be back before you know it" Said Michelle as she gave a good hug around his neck.

Through a periscope available in the barge, I was able to look below the ice as the our ship pushed through. There aren’t any whales or seals, but marine reptiles. From a distance I couldn’t tell one particular species to be either a fish or reptile until one leapt up by accident.

I did jolt a little when I saw a long necked animal with a very toothy grin. Despite its size, I was able to scare it off with a shake of the periscope.

Tank would have loved to be with a massive sea turtle... if he could swim.

6 Days before School

The skies were gray as a band of pegasi flew to the balcony of Twilight’s. Twilight approached the group, hoping to receive good news. Flash Sentry merely shook his head. This was the third search party already with no results. Twilight looked at Applejack before she walked out of the castle. The farm pony saw Lion Tamer and Loopty Hoop looking out the window as Applejack approached. They let her in through the door.

Applejack sat on a chair in the living room, with Lion Tamer and Loopty Hoop following soon after. She noticed the older mare shaking her hooves.

“They couldn’t find him again." - Applejack notice them drooping their heads - "But there is still hope, Princess Luna could-”

“No…” Applejack drew her ears back at that one “no” from - “We’ve put his life into a stranger’s hooves.”

“Now don’t feel-”

“He was our grandson… Our… grandson…” Loopty Hoop approached a picture stand with Cosgrove’s school photo and flipped it face down.

“You can tell them to stop.” Lion Tamer began to comfort his wife as the farm pony left the house.

As Applejack made her way to the castle, she had visions of what had happened in the past with him. As she walked through the area near the Mayor’s office, she saw an after image of her, Cosgrove, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie tending to an injured Schnookums while he was still alive. F Cementing her visions was the mournful howling Cosgrove would make if he was depressed. Just as she reached the door, her cutie mark glowed.

She raced to the round table and saw the after image of her cutie mark position itself on the far north of the map. Given Twilight’s nod of approval, Applejack immediately raced back to Sweet Apple Acres and began packing.

Meanwhile at the train station, a small bag containing a few bits was slapped on the counter.

"One ticket for the Crystal Empire." Said a determined Applejack.

5 Days until School

Upon exiting the train, Applejack raced north past the Crystal Palace and into the wilderness beyond. Though much more comfortable traveling through in summer, a light form of winter wear would still be recommended.

Applejack's strong physique allowed her to run for long periods. She didn't pay attention at how the environment progressed from a taiga plain to tundra to finally an endless view of ice.

Four days until School

As in our world, during the summer, there is always daylight in the far north, no matter which princess is on duty.

After a rather confusing slumber, Applejack continued on a steady trot. But even on a flat world, there are troubles. With no trees or rocks, the wind bites easily. Then again, that is averted with some leg and mouth warmers. But now there's the albedo effect and that is something Applejack constantly grumbled. Unbeknownst to her, there are dangers underneath the ice.

Conk!

Applejack walked straight to a very tall ice wall. Applejack leaned around; this was a wall going around a very long distance. After a little walking, she found a large cargo ship embedded in ice. Climbing on the ship, Applejack noticed a bad sight; there were frozen bodies being feasted upon by a group of toothed seabirds. How could this be the same ship Cosgrove was on?

The farm pony couldn't find an answer right now as a massive sea creature burst through the ice. After rising a few feet above the rails, it leaned its head forward, slamming the enormous body on the ship causing Applejack to be sent flying. The shaken vessel broke the surrounding ice, with Applejack falling into the water

When she opened her eyes, Applejack found the ocean water to be surprisingly warm. That would explain quite well why there are marine reptiles this far north; Applejack saw the silhouette of a massive sea turtle float past her.

That enjoyment would have to wait. The creature that capsized the boat returned to the ocean. Applejack swam as fast as she could, but the creature's physique allowed a swift paddle. The pony turned around as the beast opened its mouth. Suddenly she was sucked into an ice tunnel just as the beast's mouth closed.