• Published 1st Oct 2015
  • 234 Views, 0 Comments

....The More They Stay The Same - The Crane



A shadow from the visitors' past has revealed himself on Equestria. Princess Celestia tasks them with investigating him.

  • ...
 0
 234

The Mission

The group of four (presumably five) visitors sat in a line on their haunches while Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadance stood before them. Not too long ago, they were telling their stories over a masterpiece of a cake. The remnants of such has since been wheeled away. "Tell me something," Celestia starts. "Is there a name you five prefer? A unifying title? A group name?"

"Well," Bobbi says to her, "sometimes we are referred to as Crystal Warriors. But we're not real high profile or anything."

"Well, the rest of us are not," Amanda interjects. "You seem to have gained a certain media following."

"Kind of hard not to when I glow in the dark like a comet," Bobbi retorts. But, her attention returns to the royalty with an apologetic nod.

Celestia nods as well. "I have a mission that I need someone to take care of. I regret asking visitors, but I feel my options are getting limited."

"What about your little SWAT team?" Casie asks.

"SWAT team?" Cadance wonders.

"Ya know like Twilight Sparkle and the others? They all seem pretty familiar with you. I figured that they were some problem-solving types."

Celestia just solemnly shakes her head to either side for a moment. "I'm afraid that isn't an option at the moment. "While Twilight and her companions have been a great asset to us, I'm afraid that I must reserve them for something else. Besides that, I believe that your quarry for this followed you here. If not, at least came from your world."

"You want us," Amanda says with a sigh, "to go after Nolan."

"He troubles us," Luna notes. "There is something We do not like about him."

"There is something I noticed," Kat notes from somewhere. "There is a definite overabundance of mares wherever I go. Females outnumber the males greatly. But I have to ask: have any of you noticed mares being more... happy than usual?"

"There have been a few in the Crystal Empire," Cadance replies. "While most are usually in a good mood, there are a few that I sometimes worry about. And then, suddenly they're all glowing!! Kind of strange, actually."

Amanda and the others exchange a few glances with distasteful twists of their mouths. "He's already started," Amanda groans.

"It would be a great deal easier here," Casie adds. "Less clothing to go through."

"Yeah," Tonya quips. "Everyone's already naked around here!"

To this, the other three (presumably four) give her a few odd glances. She just shrugs while smirking. "It's true!!"

"I think she was adopted," Casie remarks. But, she quickly realizes that it was a particulary rude comment, given the circumstances. Her ears perk up and her eyes widen quickly while "uh, I mean--!!" She looks over and finds that Tonya has laid down with a crestfallen expression.

"Casie," Kat snarls quietly close to her ear. "If you ever say that again--and I don't care how hard you can make yourself, I WILL kick your ass."

"I'm sorry, Tonya!!" Casie says heartily. "I didn't mean that!!"

"'S okay..." she returns quietly.

Cadance may not know what just happened, but she can tell that one of them has been hurt. She casually walks over to the end of the line where she's lying and lays beside her, rubbing her side against Tonya. She rolls slightly to free her wing and hangs it over her. For a moment, she puts her head to Tonya's.

"We are sorry," Luna tells them. "We're not sure what all this means."

"It means," Bobbi answers, "that Nolan has been getting busy with your subjects."

"Busy?" Cadance wonders.

"I could draw you a picture!" Kat remarks enthusiastically.

"Oh," Cadance says simply while looking away a little nervously. "I see."

Celestia shakes her head a little, perhaps to shake the thought from her head. "He's been getting around. Canterlot. The Crystal Empire. Fillydelphia. San Fransiscolt. I knew there was something I didn't like. I ask that you investigate him for me."

"Pardon me," Bobbi asks. "I don't mean to ask, but how is it you can trust us any differently?" She notes a few strange looks from her friends, but continues nonetheless. "We are just as new here as he is. Maybe moreso."

"True," Celestia replies. "But, I have heard about a few things about each of you that inspire my confidence. Casie ran into a burning building to save a trio of fillies. Kat used her invisibility to wrangle some muffins for her depressed friend--without outright stealing them. Amanda was embarrassed about coating Twilight in red paint and tried to correct the problem at once. Tonya has been feeling guilty for quite some time about failing her friends. Bobbi has been doing well to looking out for the safety of strangers. These are all evidence of noble hearts."

Among the Crystal Warriors, several surprised looks come about. Raised eyebrows. Agape jaws. Widened eyes. Perked up ears.

"How did you know about all that?" Amanda wonders.

"I hear things," she says with a smirk. "I AM the ruler of this land, am I not?"

"Your dreams," Luna says happily, "are a great resource in itself."

"This stallion, Nolan, I know little. He is actually quite the mystery. And not one that I am comfortable with."

"Where can we find him?" Casie asks. "Is there anywhere that he stays routinely?"

Celestia looks over to Luna, and she moves off to put some distance between herself and the others. Celestia herself walks backwards and allows room between herself and the other ponies present. A light wraps around her long horn and it shines down on the floor. A three dimensional holographic map of Equestria appears between them all. "We are here," she notes as the large peak in the middle lights up. "Canterlot Mountain."

Luna's horn lights up as well and illuminates a nearby town. "Ponyville. Twilight Sparkle and the other Elements of Harmony reside here. As is where you were all found, We assume."

"The Crystal Empire," Cadance adds as a piece of the map to the north is highlighted. "My kingdom." She stands and gives Tonya a parting look. She returns to Celestia's left, although with a short bit of distance.

Celestia's horn glows again. A large piece of land significantly to the southwest of Ponyville is lit up and slowly zoomed in on. The area has an abundance of trees, much like the rest of the country. However, there is also a prominent cliffside where a river runs wild below. "He is here. Somewhere. An area of Equestria known as Ghastly Gorge."

"Sounds pleasant," Kat quips.

From somewhere, Amanda pulls out a pad of paper and a pencil. She uses her horn's magic to sketch the map and a few notes otherwise. However, a golden aura overrides her aqua colored one and gently takes them away.

"Worry not, Amanda. You will all be provided with maps and supplies."

"Of course," Amanda says quietly. "I apologize."

"I would have done the same thing," Celestia says with a mild sigh.

"When do we leave?" Kat asks.

"Actually," Bobbi interjects with a raised hoof. "I would ask for a couple days. My friends and I need to prepare. We're a little out of touch and I would like the time to get back into it."

"We could arrange a training area for you," Luna notes. "'Twould not be difficult."

"Actually," Tonya adds, "I would like a chance to return to Ponyville. There's something there I think could increase our chances."

"Tonya," Bobbi tells her, "I really don't think we should waste time like that. We have everything we need here. We have everything we OWN here."

"But--"

"Sorry," Bobbi says with a shake of her head. "Time is short."

"....Fine."

"Very well," Celestia agrees. "Three days. I will expect you then." She looks out the window and notes that the sky has completely lost its color. "Luna! The Moon!!"

"Oh!!" Luna gasps. "Apologies, Sister. We were distracted. We will get right on it!!" The dark alicorn floats up with a few flaps of her wings and goes towards the window. Upon reaching it, she disappears from sight. Within a few minutes, a shiny white half-Moon enters the sky and skids to a stop at its rightful place.

Celestia has watched the entire event and sighs a little at its conclusion. "As with Twilight and her friends, I have also prepared a room for you all. I thank you for hearing my request. Cadance, will you escort them? And perhaps a detour to the kitchen for a proper meal?"

"Of course," she replies. "Ladies, would you please follow me?"

"Have a good rest of the evening, my friends."

==-==-==

Later, after the group has been fed a meal not consisting entirely of cake, they were escorted to a circular bedchamber with five different beds. They walked in at Cadance's invitation and looked around the large room. Aside from the luxurious bedding, similar curtains hang from the window that divides the room. Each of the beds has a quiet oil lamp next to it providing a somber flame.

"This is for us?" Kat wonders.

"For the night," Bobbi answers. "We should get some rest. We've got some work to do in the morning."

Cadance steps out of the room as the others have all entered. "Princess Celestia has sent word to me that she wishes to meet with you after first light."

"Something she forgot?" Casie wonders.

"Something she was unsure of. I bid you all a good night, and gratitude for your services." She steps back and uses her horn's magic to close the doors behind her.

The five quietly climb into the beds provided. Almost all at once, the capes that they had wrapped around their bodies disappear in glittering lights of their element. One by one, the lights go out as the ponies of the room pull covers over their bodies. The mattresses are much more comfortable than what they had back in Ponyville (as in none!), but they didn't complain about the roof over their head.

"Anyway I can take this with me?" Kat says groggily.

"Sure," Tonya remarks. "I'll just slide it down the hall for you. Nobody will notice. Hey Bobbi?"

"I said no," Bobbi quickly retorts. "We need to stick together and get up to speed. Celestia can make a training ground for us here. No reason to go back. Field trips would just take too much time."

Tonya grumbles a bit more as she pulls the bedding over her body.

Eventually, four lights have been extinguished. One faint light still remains in the room as most of the group settles in. There are a few ahhs of comfort that pass around the room.

"Casie..." Amanda groans. "Time for sleep..."

"Sorry," Casie says nervously. "I seem to be having a problem..." Upon closer inspection, Casie has indeed been trying to put out her lamp. She blows into it to take out the flame, but nothing seems to be happening. "I can't..."

Amanda walks over with a frown to Casie's bed and looks at her and her attempts. "What?" Casie demonstrates that her breath keeps the flame alive, rather than killing it. A slight snicker comes from her as she looks on with amusement. "Really? Flame element?"

"Hey, now!!"

"Gimme," Amanda groans. She grabs the lantern with her horn's magic and looks down into the open glass. HHHKKK--TOOO she 'says' as she spits on the fire and reduces the wick to a smoldering string. She then gives the whole thing back.

Casie looks down with a curious expression. "That was kinda gross."

"Yeah, but it worked." Within the half-Moon lit room, she turns about and returns to her own sleeping arrangements. With a quick flick of her horn, the blankets float up as she climbs in. Then, she simply lets go and lets the covers... well, cover her.

And once again, a silence drapes over the group. After all they've seen and learned today, they all have a lot to think about.

"I still think she's Canadian," Tonya muses as she drifts off. A few giggles and chortles serve as agreement. "But, I like her."

==-==-==

As with every day, the sun comes up overhead to brighten the land. Its fiery brilliance wakes many on the land below. Yet, there are still those that have awoken long before. They deliver newspapers. Ready their kitchens. Warm their ovens. All for anticipation of a new day.

The moon sets just the same. A few sporadic ponies actually use the rising sun and setting moon as a sign that is time to sleep. Some actually prefer the night.

Back in Ponyville, the night sky still argues with the coming day as only a hint of light has broken free. One in particular thinks nothing of the daylight. He would rather just sleep all day regardless if there's a giant fireball in the sky or not. With a certain Purple Princess out of the house, his duties are nil.

KNOCK KNOCK echoed through the tree's hollow interior. It was quite a familiar sound as a hoof rapping against the wooden door downstairs. Normally, this would be a cue for the lone occupant to rush towards and open it. "We're closed..." he grumbles snoozily. Twilight may have told him to take care of the library, but she didn't say he had to keep it open. Even so, it is far too early for business.

"SppIIIIIkkkee..." a voice calls to him. A familiar high voice with a distinct accent. "SppIIIIkkee?" she calls again. "Are you in there, darling?"

The miniature dragon shoots up in his basket-bed with eyes wide open and ears perfectly atuned to that voice. "COMMINNGG!!" he shouts as he tosses off a blanket and quickly runs downstairs. There is but one voice that will get him out of bed every time. One accent that he will answer to every time.

He opens the door just as the pony was about to call again. He looks upon the white unicorn with the finely coiffed purple spiral of mane. "Ah, there you are!!" she says happily. Her blue almond eyes look on him with a smile. She uses a hoof to bounce her locks of hair and demurely lowers her sky-blue eyelids.

"R-Rarity!!" Spike fumbled out. "What's wrong? I thought you were in Canterlot?"

She walks into the library, and Spike is all too pleased to follow, closing the door as he does. "Oh, Spike," she says. "I was. But, I just HAD to come back and see you, darling." She raises a delicate hoof to his chin and raises it ever so slightly. She can sense that the mere touch is giving him goosebumps.

"R-really?"

"Yes. Really. I need something. Something only a big, strong dragon like you can offer..."

"A-anything!!"

"I need..." she says in a husky voice, "you. A sample. I need... CRAVE your essence...." She looks him over and finds him completely under her spell. And her horn is entirely quiet.

"Wh-what do you need?"

Rarity removes her hoof from his chin and turns about, giving him a prime view of her flank and the trio of azure gems that make up her cutie mark. Her tail is just as coiled as her mane. "I need.... a scale. One of YOUR scales. I know it's a lot to ask... But I assure you that I have the best intentions..." She looks at him with big, pouty eyes and blinks them lovingly a few times. "Please? For me?"

By this point, Spike may be ready to yank off his entire tail just for her. Unless he just explodes into a hundred pieces. His heart is racing, his blood is rushing, and... other things are responding as well. "Anything for you, Rarity..." he tells her as he yanks out one of the larger scales from his back. "Will this do?"

Rarity smiles wide as she looks at her accomplishment. "Oh, Spikey-wikey!! I LOVE you!!" She gives her little friend a loving lick across the face and bites on the scale that he has presented. "Thank you ever so much, dear!!!"

And then she's gone. After racing out of the library, Spike just stands there like a purple love-struck statue. "bye..." he moans out.