• Published 27th Oct 2016
  • 572 Views, 8 Comments

Street Dreams: Between the Streets and the Sky - DJDJ



It's not easy making friends when you're the smartest girl in school...or the dumbest boy in school for that matter.

  • ...
 8
 572

Prologue: Unpacking Old Friends

"Hey Sunset?" Twilight broke the stillness in Sapphire tent, as she and Sunset Shimmer unpacked for their week at Camp Everfree.

"Hm?" Sunset answered disinterestedly as the girls continued to unpack.

Twilight paused in the middle of making her bed to ask Sunset. "You remember the friendship games?"

This gave Sunset Shimmer pause as she was overcome with memories of the world being nearly torn to ribbons. "Yeah, how could I forget." She spouted playfully, only just realizing the implications as the last syllable left her lips. Sunset couldn't stop herself from smacking her own face as punishment for her insensitivity. "OH. My gosh, I didn't mean...like that. Uhg, sorry just...what about it? Sorry." She apologized smoothly.

Twilight turned around to face Sunset, "You remember when you caught me sneaking around campus before the games?" Twilight asked sheepishly averting her gaze from Sunset.

Sunset cocked her head curiously, "Yeaaaah." She recalled.

At this point, Twilight began playing with her ponytail nervously. "Well...magic wasn't the only thing I found there..."

Sunset rested her hands on her hips and looked at Twilight with cautious interest. "Is that right?"

Twilight bit her lower lip, unsure if she should even proceed with the conversation or try to drop it. Until Spike stood up leaning his front paws on Twilight's ankles. "It's okay Twilight, maybe it's a different guy completely." The purple puppy postulated positively. She picked him up and hugged him like a small child would hold a stuffed animal when describing her nightmares to her parents.

"I saw those pictures all over campus, of that boy." Twilight paused, Sunset folded her arms and shrugged lightly. "White skin, grey eyes, white and grey hair? His name was-" Twilight pressed.

"OH!" Sunset interrupted Twilight. Once again she was overcome with strong memories. "Oh..." She unfolded her arms, her jaw slacked and her eyes widened in a start. "Oooooohhhh. That boy." Twilight appeared to squeeze Spike even tighter and cast her gaze down to the ground. Sunset placed a hand over her mouth as if to hold in a gasp. "You knew him didn't you?" She asked sympathetically. Without looking up, Twilight slowly nodded her head. Sunset approached Twilight, resting one hand on her back and holding the crook of Twilight's elbow with the other. As she did so, Sunset heard faint mumbling but dismissed it as the other campers outside and focused on consoling her newest friend. "I'm so sorry Twilight."

Twilight hitched a breath and shut her eyes tight. "So it's true." She croaked trying to hold back tears. Sunset sat them both down on Twilight's bed. Spike tried to lick Twilight's face to cheer her up but it was no use. Now knowing the fate of her only friend from Crystal Prep, Twilight was inconsolable.

Obviously I had to come from SOMEWHERE and obviously no one bothered to ask. Don't be mad at Sunset, not even YOU ever asked me where I was from. Anyway, Sunset decided to ask the only logical question, "How did you know him?"

Twilight had been sobbing quietly but after a deep breath, she wiped the tears from her eyes and elaborated, "He was my best friend. Like, ever." She began, still disturbed by the news, as she continued, she started to calm down, idly petting Spike as he lay in her lap. "I guess he was competitive like everyone else at Crystal Prep..."

Sunset muffled a chortle and mumbled to no one in particular "That I can believe." Again, suddenly remembering the mood in the tent, Sunset shook her head, "Sorry, go on."

Twilight took in another deep breath and did so, "But he..." Twilight shrugged, "I don't know, he wasn't selfish like everyone else, and I don't think I'd be the person I am now if we weren't friends." She recalled longingly.

Sunset rested her hand on Twilight's shoulder, causing Twilight to look up at her, "I can believe that too." She started encouragingly. "Trust me, none of us are the same after getting to know him."

This put a smile on Twilight's face. "So, you all knew him too? Really knew him?" She asked hopefully.

Sunset nodded smiling back at Twilight. "Some of us knew him better than others but...yeah, we really did all know him." She said cheerfully. Deciding that Twilight was feeling a little better considering the news she just got, Sunset stood up and went back to unpacking. "You know, maybe we should all tell you our best stories about him while we're here at camp." She suggested.

Twilight put Spike back on the ground and he settled down in his bed. "Yeah, and I can tell you all how I met him!" Twilight suggested eagerly, feeling less lonely in grieving her old friend.

Sunset smiled back at Twilight, "Sounds like a great idea." She affirmed. Returning to the responsibility of unpacking for the trip, Sunset grabbed a flashlight out of her bag, shining it on her face she made a sarcastic ghostly "WoooooOOOoooo" sound.


Not that I don't have total faith in Twilight's ability to tell Sunset our story, but shes just not me so, I'll take over for now and fill in a few details she would've missed. Don't worry, we'll get back to Camp Everfree after I tell you the story of Twilight and me at Crystal Prep. This one goes way back...