• Published 3rd Nov 2015
  • 1,089 Views, 11 Comments

Beauty(s) and the beast - 79snowbell

  • ...
5
 11
 1,089

Chapter 2

It was midday and Sparkling Butterfly was laying on her bed with tears flowing. Two of her closest animal friends were comforting her, an owl named Owlicious and a white bunny named Angel.

"… a-and then after she told me that my father was alive, my own mother tells m-me that Cadence and I aren't sisters, but c-cousins!" Butterfly sniffed. "A-a-and then…" the rest of her sentence became inaudiable as she began sobbing more.

Cadence entered the room, but instead of crying like Butterfly, her eyes were widened with shock. Butterfly lifted her head to face her supposed cousin, who in turn looked into Butterfly's bloodshot eyes. "Why? Why keep secrets from us?" Butterfly sniffled as Cadence pulled her into a hug. "Maybe she had reasons of her own?" Cadence suggested. Butterfly pulled away. "Maybe there's more to it than just that." Butterfly whimpered.

The door to their room opened and Sunny Day stepped in, Butterfly turned away as Cadence turned her head to pay attention to what her mom, er…aunt had to say.

"Girls… I know I should have told you both sooner or later, and to make up for that, I'll take you two to the Crystal empire right now!" Cadence sat up on the bed, but Butterfly kept her back to her mom.

"I think that would work for me." Cadence thought out loud. Sunny Day then turned her gaze to Sparkling Butterfly. "Butterfly?"

Butterfly was quiet before answering. "I think I'll stay here. Besides, you know how rowdy the animals get when I'm too far away from them." Sunny Day's calm expression faltered slightly before she nodded in understanding. "Okay then. Cadence? I'm hoping to catch the train today so we can get there before sunset, so I need you to quickly pack up. The train leaves in an hour and it takes half an hour to get to the station."

Cadence nodded and went to her side of the room and started packing. "Are you sure you'll be alright staying here?" Sunny Day asked Butterfly, hoping she would be assured. "I'll be fine." Butterfly complied as she turned her head while keeping her back on her mother. "Butterfly, I know how hard it is to accept the truth and I hope you would understand my reasons." Sunny Day spoke before leaving the room.

"Wait!" Sunny Day froze to her daughter's voice. "Why are you leaving, and why so soon?" Sunny Day came back to Sparkling Butterfly's bedside. "Yesterday I heard that the Crystal Express would come to town today and would return in four weeks, and when you brought those books back this morning, I realized that I should go find him. But I knew you would have asked me so many questions, so I had to tell you the truth." Butterfly was silent before asking. "How long? And is it true that I am an only child?" "…three months after you were born. And it is partially true, but also false." Sunny Day felt some relieve as she left to pack some of her own things.

"At first, I thought you would would join us. I mean, the Crystal Empire! The place where we were born in? The place where your father might be?" Cadence emphasized the last sentence. "I know, I know. But I was serious when I said that the animals wouldn't behave well, and sure, they're fine when I'm in Ponyville, but the Crystal Empire? It's too far north and that's a long ways away, and you know how the animals are."

Cadence closed her case and hovered towards Sparkling Butterfly and pulled the lavender pegasus into a hug. "We'll be away for a while, I guess. Take care." "Tell me all about it when I see you again." Butterfly smiled as she returned the hug.


Butterfly stood at the train station and waved goodbye to two ponies aboard the Crystal Express as it pulled away from the station, Cadence and Sunny Day waving back as the Train started heading north.

Sparkling Butterfly waited another moment before leaving the station and headed back home. They will be back soon, she knows it.

When she returned home, she quickly checked on the animals to see if they needed anything, and after she was finished, she headed to the cottage. Before Butterfly touched the doorknob, she heard somepony shouting out to her.

"Wait miss! Please! I need help!" A brown stallion galloped down the path toward Butterfly, huffing and puffing. "I'm looking for a pegasus with a silver coat, gold mane and eyes, and bubbles for a cutie mark.…" the stallion paused to catch his breath before continuing. "Someone said that she came to you about something… do you know where my friend was?"

"Oh! You mean Derpy? Of course I've seen her." The stallion's blue eyes brightened. "Really?! When!" Butterfly was deep in thought before replying. "Early this morning! After she gave me my book back, she went somewhere… over… there…" Butterfly's face suddenly changed into a look of fear as she looked to the area she had last seen Derpy. "Oh no."

"What?" The stallion's expression faltered. "I-I think she might have gone into the Everfree forest." The stallion didn't get Butterfly's frightened look. "Okay then, I guess I'll go find her-"

"No! You don't understand! The Everfree is a place that doesn't use pony magic. At. All. It's a scary place to be at! And it's dangerous to go alone!" He was silent before asking. "Do you know anyone that would go in there with me and find Derpy?"

'If he asked someone in Ponyville, they might scream in his face, but if I go, it would be like a favour to Derpy.' Butterfly thought. "I'll help you find her! Just give me one second!" Butterfly opened the door to the cottage and found Angel and Owlicious looking at her expectantly. "Listen up you two, I'm going to help a friend, and I-if I don't come back, then Owlicious is in charge." Butterfly said before shutting the door behind her and unaware of the white bunny glaring at the owl.

"Okay, let's go!" Butterfly spoke before breaking into a gallop towards the Everfree, the stallion following close behind. "Thank you so much miss… uh…" "Sparkling Butterfly! And you are?!" Butterfly called back. "Time Turner!"


Butterfly and Time Turner have looked everywhere around the Everfree in search of the grey pegasus.

The two have been searching for what felt like hours, especially since the canopy of trees made it look like it was night, and Time Turner was close to giving up on finding his friend. The found an open space far up ahead.

A low rumble was heard nearby, making the two ponies jump. "Um…What was that?" Butterfly started to quiver in fear, but her question was already answered by a low growl as Butterfly found themselves facing timber wolves.

"What do we do now?" Butterfly looked over to Time Turner, hoping he would provide a solution. "Only one thing we can do…run!"

The two ponies bolted in the opposite direction in means to find a place to hide, the Timberwolves giving chase so as to not lose their prey.

Butterfly heard a howl as she saw more Timberwolves ahead of them, blocking their path. It was then that she seen a light from the corner of her eye.

"This way!" Butterfly shouted as she turned towards the light which led to a ravine with an old rope bridge.

The two neared the bridge until they noticed the Timber wolves gaining on them. Within a blink of an eye, a Timberwolf caught Butterfly by her long pink streaked tail and made her fall to the ground. Time Turner heard Butterfly's complaints as she tried to kick the wooden beast.

"Hold on, miss Butterfly!" "NO!" Sparkling Butterfly called back. "Go find Derpy, I'll be fine!" I hope. Butterfly called out as she watched Time Turner cross the bridge safely before bolting off.

Quickly searching, Butterfly found two rocks and threw one of them (which was smooth to touch) directly at the Timberwolf currently chewing on her tail. When the rock made impact square in the timberwolf's face, she used the other rock (which was very sharp) and without thinking, cutted off the end of her tail that the Timberwolf was chewing on and quickly started crossing the bridge.

Butterfly was only halfway across when she suddenly heard a snap and felt the bridge give out and start falling. As if on instinct, her wings quickly spreaded wide as she started to fly up to the other side.

As soon as she landed, she glanced to the Timberwolves sliding to a halt as they seen the ravine that separated them from their prey. Knowing it wasn't worth it, the timberwolves snarled and left.

A sigh of relief escaped from Sparkling Butterfly's lips. It was then that she felt something on her left hoof, so she spared a quick glance at her hoof and saw crimson. 'Maybe one of the wolves scratched me while we were running' she thought.

She faced the direction Time Turner had gone earlier and saw a large structure a little ways away.

"I hope Derpy and Time turner are alright."

Author's Note:

I know! I know! Its late, but I traveled south to see some family for Christmas and had no internet access until I used my mom's phone, and when I got home, the iPad I use was acting stupid with the internet, so I had to use my laptop which helps alot:yay:
Anyways, enjoy:twilightsmile: