• Published 18th Nov 2011
  • 1,289 Views, 20 Comments

Glitterglen - Khenal



Seven ponies set off into the wildernes to found a new settlement.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,289

Glimpses of Darkness


Deep in Gliterglen, a remarkably green alicorn paces in his office. His coat is sea green and his hair jade. His blue wings occasionally flap with unease as his emerald eyes look around nervously. This is Khenal, the Captain of the Guard of Glitterglen, and he's worried.*1



"I hope Venture's doing alright with Friesden. There's a locked cell door between them, at least she'll-" My inner-monologue is interrupted by shouting from the cell block. Several terrifying scenes play rapidly through my mind of what Friesden could do to a little filly, before I break into a gallop towards the cell block.

There is no more shouting as I enter the block. There is, however, an unexpected Pegasus. Heliotrope eyes, tan coat, unkempt dark blue hair and gray wings: he's one of the pegasi in the Skyguard.

"Carrot Something? I'm terrible with names." Venture, the rainbow-maned alicorn filly with the raw umber coat, has backed into a corner and away from Friesden. Thankfully, she's still behind bars. The two pegasi turn to look at me, though they are each entirely different looks. Carrot looks concerned, he's likely just begining to realize how difficult it will be to talk with Friesden. The look from the incarcerated pegasus, however, might kill an unprepared pony.

"Ok, Khenal, you can do this. There's a confused and scared pony in there that needs help. It's time to pony up and talk to her." My mental pep-talk complete, I approach Friesden and Carrot.

"Dr. Friesden? I've read your journal, and I want to help you. Please, talk to me."

"That's a lie, Khenal. You bastard, you did this to me!"

Carrot raises an eyebrow at the accusation, taking it as the rambling of a madpony.

"She just won't listen to reason. I've read her writing as well, and I just can't let her stay in such a state of dismay! I could put on a little air show for her...maybe that would cheer her up? She'd have to leave her cell to see it...What do you think we should do?"

"Not leaving my cell. All that stops you from using me, Khenal."

"Fine then. I guess this means we do this the hard way." says Carrot, advancing on the cell. I place a hoof on his withers to stop him. Violence is not going to be the answer here.

"The writing on the walls is only the tip of the iceberg. Nothing said here leaves this room, I'd rather not have Dr. Friesden's problem spread around."

"I would never do anything to harm you, Friesden. I put you in that cell to protect the ponies of Glitterglen, and I wish with all that I am that I could let you out, but you're dangerous. Or, one of you is dangerous. I know you have company in your head, but please believe me when I say it's not me. And I want to help you get back to yourself."

"Lies. More LIES! YOU controlled me! One of my friends got the evidence, you BASTARD!"

Carrot leans in to whisper to me: "I'm starting to think that you're only traumatizing her further. I recommend you leave now. I have to put her out of her misery. Unless you have a better plan...?" My glare lets him know that his plan is simply not an option. After a few moments, I turn to face Friesden as if Carrot never suggested anything so reprehensible.

"Who said I controlled you?"

"You don't know? Then I won't let you know. You'll never get your hands on him."

"Please, Friesden, let us help you. Several ponies of the militia were just injured in a diomedian attack: Two from the crossbow squad and Peytrel from Commander Starkey's squad. I'm worried that Dr. Erok won't be able to help them in time."

"If you were so worried, why didn't you help them before they got injured?" I flinch a bit at that.

"Protocol and jurisdiction." Sweet Ingest, did that sound as hollow and pathetic as it felt?

"If I could fight all the diomedians myself, I would. If I could have them take me and never bother anypony else, I would. But I can't. You know what those brave ponies go through, you've patched them up before. If you really won't let me help you, let somepony help you. Even if you don't believe me, I really just want you to be well." Friesden laughs humorlessly, continuing to glare at me.

"Yeah, sure. 'Protocol.' And I've got a lovely bridge back home that you can buy for only twenty bits! No, I don't believe you. Why should I?" Carrot answers before I can.

"Please, if you don't trust him, trust me! Just tell me how I can help!" I try to meet Friesden's eyes, but their accusation drives me off. Hanging my head, I whisper:

"I'm sorry I've failed you Friesden."

"What's going on down there?" asks a voice from the stairwell. As he descends into the cell block, I recognize Commander Starkey. His pallet is similar to Carrots, right down to the wings, though his mane is a prismatic splash of color instead of Carrot's dark blue.

"NOT NOW PEASANT!" yells Carrot, unaware of who's interrupting. "We're...ummm...TALKING ABOUT...stuff! COME BACK LATER!"

"... Sargent Carrot?" Starkey gives him a look that promises many laps of the walls for insubordination.

"Commander Starkey? What brings you here?" I ask. It's a rare sight to see him down in the cell block. Starkey shifts his attention to me, before starting to look around the block.

"Khenal, is the filly Venture here with you? Her parents said she left with you earlier." I glance to where she lays huddled in the corner.

"Um, yes, she's here. Come on Venture, lets get you back home. I'm sure your parents are worried." I give the filly as encouraging a smile as I can manage and offer her a hoof to help her stand. She quietly accepts and follows me towards the stairs. As I pass him, Starkey has one last thing to whisper to me.

"You'll find them down in the infirmary. The lad Peytrel's awake, and Doctor Erok wants his family there in case... you know..." It does little to lift my mood.




Khenal's Book, Chapter 35

I've failed her. I've failed everypony.




While Khenal returns Venture to her family, Starkey remains with Psycho Carrot and Friesden in the cell block. He can tell something is happening, and he intends to find out what. With Khenal gone, Friesden relaxes slightly and seems willing to talk.

"Peytral. I must talk to Peytral." Carrot jumps up and hovers in excitement at the demand, happy to have even this small bit of progress.

"SHE'S ASKING FOR SOMEONE!!" Carrot points a hoof at Starkey, forgetting his rank and unaware of the physical exertion Starkey has planned for his future.

"STARKEY! FETCH PEYTRAL NOW!" Starkey shows incredible restraint as he simply gives Carrot a sarcastic look.

"Considering the lad is injured and bed-ridden, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Unless you think you're up for dragging a fully assembled and occupied bed down the stairs all by yourself... Sargent. Now, I see you've been, ah, interrogating the prisoner. What can you tell me so far?"

"100% uncooperative! All she does is scream or babble about how Khenal is controlling her. I recommend we put her down. Uh, sir." Carrot seems to finally remember who he's talking to, and how he tends to assign laps as punishment.

"We are not Diomedians, Sargent. We don't butcher each other and try to pass it off as justice." Starkey approaches the cell, getting a good look at the interior for the first time. Though the walls have been cleaned, the previous writings are still faintly visible.

"What is all this?"

"Can't you see it? It's writing." Though she's more inclined to talk with Starkey and Carrot, she's obviously still not inclined to be polite about it.

"Ah, she writes those during her...episodes...they've been happening longer and more frequently lately now that I think about it." Starkey takes a few moments to read some of the writing. As he does, Carrot tries to strike up more conversation with Friesden.

"Hmm, you seem to be a bit more calm now. Now, PLEASE FOR LOVE OF PONIES EVERYWHERE, tell me how I can help you! I...WE...don't need any more crazy ponies!" Starkey gives Carrot an angry glare before returning to the writings.

"No, I agree that one is plenty enough. Hmm. Khenal, Khenal, Khenal... What about Khenal? 'I call thee diabolis?' What did he do, Miss Friesden?"

"He took control of my MIND!"

"...What? Khenal... took control of your mind? How? When? What... What did he make you do?"

"You don't really believe what she's telling you, right?" whispers Carrot. Starkey ignores him for now, busy with trying to listen to what Friesden has to say.

"I don't know how! All I know is that I've been feeling his voice in my head, and that when I go to sleep I do things! I've had to lock myself in my room at night and hide the key just to stop it from doing anything!"

Behind Starkey, Carrot's eyes go dark as he collapses, thrashing about and mumbling something incomprehensible.

"'it', Miss Friesden? You mean he isn't controlling you directly? He's sending somepony... or something else to - GODDESS DAMN IT SARGENT, I'VE HAD DAMN NEAR ENOUGH OF YOUR ANTICS TODAY!"

"GET IT OUT...HEHEHE...GET IT OUT!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!" Carrot finally goes limp after his yell, unconscious.

"Sargent Psycho Carrot, I'm ordering you to-... Sargent? Sargent!" Friesden continues talking, seeming to not notice Carrot's sudden episode.

"I.. I don't know.... He was using his magic on me. Ask Peytral. He was the one who showed it to me." The mystery of what's happening to Friesden is put on the back-burner as Starkey checks to see if Carrot is alright.

"He... He's still breathing... I think he'll be fine. Kulet damn it, I'm getting to the bottom of this." He walks over to Khenal's office, just on the other side of the cell block, and opens the door. Without pause, Starkey approaches Khenal's desk and begins to rifle through the contents. Inside, he finds mostly boring paperwork, but there are two things that stand out. The first is Friesden's journal, the other is a book on mental magic. The magic book contains precise details on very powerful mind control magics. Khenal has it as a resource for defense against those kinds of spells, but it certainly looks incriminating by itself. He leaves the books and returns to the cells, ready to ask a few more questions.

"Miss Friesden, when did this start? When did you first feel him... controlling you?"

"I... I don't know! I can't REMEMBER!"

"D-do you remember the things he makes you do, afterward? Please, I need to know these things, Miss Friesden!"

"I don't remember most...but he made me kill that pegasus! He made me..." Friesden retches, but doesn't throw up.

"Made me stab him again and again and again oh Ingest..." As she recounts what's happened, Carrot regains consciousness and stands. He seems unharmed, though his eyes are dark.

"Sir. I need to borrow your sword. Now, sir."

"Sargent? I... haven't carried a sword since basic, son. You want my axe? Why?" Friesden has backed to a corner of her cell by now, eyes unfocused as she cowers.

"I can hear the silent voices."

"Sir, GIVE. ME. THE. AXE. NOW." Reiterates Psycho, his eyes twitching.

"Sargent... I really don't think that would be the best idea."

"No no no no...PERHAPS I'M NOT MAKING MYSELF VERY CLEAR! I SAID, GIVE ME THE BUCKING AXE NOW SO I CAN KILL YOU ALL!! Starting with...Venture...AHAHAHAHAHAHHA!! NOW GIVE ME THE AXE, BASTARD!" Despite Carrot's unnatural eyes and obvious insanity, Starkey simply shrugs.

"Alright, fair enough." He calmly draws his axe from his belt and levels a steely gaze on Carrot.

"You want my weapon? Come take it." Carrot's dark eyes flash to blood red as he charges the Commander.

"GIVE ME THE AAA-" Carrot's shout is cut short as Starkey sidesteps the clumsy charge and brings the blunt back of his axe down on the base of Carrot's skull, knocking him out. Starkey returns the axe to his belt, before he hears a startled gasp from the stairwell. Charity stands at the landing, shocked to see Carrot unconscious and Starkey calmly putting away his axe.

"Commander! What is going on here?! I was coming to talk with Khenal and I heard all this yelling! EXPLAIN!" Friesden answers before Starkey can, as his mouth is still full of axe handle while he puts it away.

"Khenal came for him, Charity. Khenal came to kill him. And he nearly succeeded..." Charity tilts her head to the side, still a bit confused as she walks closer to peer in through the bars at Friesden. Noticing the writing on the walls, she pauses quietly to consider what's happening.

"Commander" emphasis is placed upon the title, "I don't know why you knocked out the Sergent, but I trust you can explain it later. Take him to the infirmary, and restrain him in a traction bench if you think he's dangerous." Starkey finishes stowing his axe and gives Charity a salute before gathering Carrot and heading up the stairs to the hospital. Charity nods at him as he leaves, then turns back to the cell and Friesden.

"Friesden, what is with all this writing? Why have you defaced all of Theropod's artwork?*2 And why do you think Khenal is responsible for any of this."

"Peytral told me, miss. That's why I had to record it! Couldn't let it be hidden." Charity starts a bit at this unexpected revelation.

"Peytral? Listen Friesden, I came down here to talk with Khenal because one of the guards told me that they had found your diary. They said that in it you were fighting with, presumably, yourself. Now, I haven't read it myself yet, but if what they told me is true, and if the state of your cell is any indication, I can tell one thing: Friesden, you are very sick. And my dear friend, it pains me to say this, but you may be beyond our ability to help. Khenal is a trustworthy pony, and I trust him with my life. I can't believe he would do this, to you or any pony." Friesden takes this poorly as she stands and glares at her friend through the bars.

"You accuse me of LYING? How DARE YOU! I know Khenal has done this!"

"My friend, please be calm, and look at this from my perspective. What evidence can you show me that Khenal has done anything? We have your diary, in it you admit to the murder! Your walls are covered with graffiti, the likes of which no sane pony would make. You are clearly unhinged, and I don't know how to help you, but we can't keep you locked up forever." Charity begins to tear up, not wanting to believe her friend has gone mad, yet unable to refute the evidence before her eyes.

"I'm sorry Friesden, I promise I'll make up my mind about what to do with you soon. I'm sorry." Charity walks away from the cell toward the stairs, a tear weaving it's way down her face.

"I have to hear out Peytral, and I need to hear Khenal address these claims about him. Then...Then I can pass sentence on her."







*******************
Author's notes

1 I'll be setting scenes in third person, as well as using third person for scenes where Khenal isn't involved. When he is, the perspective will shift to first person from his view point.

2 Theropod Watcher is one of the engravers, and yes, the cells are engraved. Cells can be decorated and often are so as to minimize the impact on the mood of anypony arrested.