• Published 13th Sep 2015
  • 3,881 Views, 158 Comments

Atonement for a Wayward Dragoon - Belligerent Bindlestiff



Kain's trial at Mt. Ordeals will lead him down a particular path towards redemtion. Final Fantasy IV Crossover

  • ...
2
 158
 3,881

Atonement

Atonement

“So what happens now?” Rarity asked.

“Now I can finally move on.” Kain said. He then reached into his satchel and grabbed one of the spheres Twilight had given him and threw it overboard. A blue flash erupted followed by smoke of the same color. He noticed that Twilight’s balloon had barely taken to the air in the distance.

Then from seemingly nowhere, a booming voice addressed the ponies on the airship.

“You’ve done well.”

Kain gasped at the sound of the voice.

“I knew you could do it son.”

“Kain, is that your father?” Rarity asked.

“I don’t have much time, but the Lunarians have allowed me to reach out to you. Please, come home.”

And with that, a light soon shone from the east.

“The mountains.” Kain said.

“Where we found you!” Rarity said.

“We need to get to the Unicorn Mountain Range.” Kain said.

Just then, Midnight Oil and his crew climbed above the deck.

“Well, lucky for you, you just so happen to have one of the fastest airships in Equestria!” the engineer said. “And luckier yet is that the Intrepid’s got a few dings, but she’s pretty set to fly!”

“Can you please take us to the mountains in the east?”

The Intrepid was soon off eastward, much to the dismay of the occupants of a balloon that had barely taken to the sky.

////

The Intrepid was moving at full speed in the direction of the light source. It was a clear cut beacon in the night’s sky. Kain stared off in the distance at the glowing light with Rarity at his side.

“Is this what you were waiting for Kain? Some sort of sign?” Rarity asked.

“Nothing as specific as this, but it certainly bodes well.” Kain replied.

“I suppose this is it then.” Rarity said, lamenting. “Once you go through the light, you’ll be back in your world and needn’t be here anymore.”

“That’s not for certain.” Kain said.

“But it is a possibility.” Rarity said. “You’ve only just gotten past your old self and now here’s the possibility of your world changing once more. That just doesn’t seem fair to anypony. You’ve come so far, and I have only just begun to like you.” The unicorn was becoming broken up about the situation.

“I’m sorry Rarity,” Kain said as he put a hoof over her. “but if it’s the only thing I’ve learned it’s that I cannot allow myself to be selfish. Every time I’ve thought about myself, it’s only hurt everyone I know. I need to answer this call or everything may have been for naught.”

“Hmmm, that’s strange.” Midnight said. “There doesn’t seem to be any particular place the light is coming from. Not from the sky or the mountain.”

“Can you fly over the mountain?” Kain asked.

“Yeah, let’s try to find the source of the light.” Midnight said, taking the Intrepid upwards. “Odd, it’s like its daytime all over the Unicorn Mountains without Celestia’s sun in the sky.”

Suddenly there was a surge in light.

“What the?!” the pilot asked.

Soon a warm glow bathed the airship and its passengers.

////

“What’s gotten into ya Cecil?” a short, gruff, bearded man said as another man in white and blue armor hastily disembarked from an airship.

“Look, I know you said you had this ‘feeling’, but if you don’t start givin us some answers, I will take this airship and leave for Baron without you.” The engineer, clad in a blue jumpsuit and goggles, said and moved to pull out a ramp over the edge of his vessel, The Enterprise.

“At least wait for your wife! Rosa, come talk some sense into your husband!” the pilot said.

A woman dressed in white and pink with blonde hair made her way over the deck of the airship. “Cecil, we’ve made the trip to Mt. Ordeals, but you haven’t said much else other than that we needed to be here. You’re beginning to worry me.” She said.

“I’m sorry my love, but as soon as I heard my father’s voice, I had to make haste to Mt. Ordeals.” Cecil said.

“Would you care to elaborate dear husband?” the white mage asked, bearing a slight tone of frustration. “You did ask Cid to fly us out here as if the world depended upon it.”

“Yeah, my boys were just getting to making adjustments before you came in yelling about getting over here quick as possible. What gives?” Cid asked.

“My father, Klu Ya, spoke to me this morning.” Cecil said. “He told me that I needed to see Kain. Kain decided to seclude himself out in these mountains after we returned from the moon, and I decided to respect his choice.”

“Kain?” Rosa asked. “You never did tell me where he left after we returned. You knew where he was this whole time? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because you’d go after him, and that’s not what he needed.” Cecil said. “If you’d come out here, no doubt he’d still feel terrible about what he did and probably leave again. I had to let it be, that was until this morning. If my father made an effort to speak to me, it is something that I cannot ignore.”

“But why not come here on your own then?” Rosa asked.

“Whether I came alone or with you, it might have had the same effect.” Cecil said. “I couldn’t risk shattering the fragile state of our friendship.”

“But something must have changed, or I wouldn’t have received such a profound message.” The paladin said.

“If we’re going to find Kain, are we going to have to climb the mountain?” Cid asked. “Last I heard, the place was still crawling with the undead.”

“If need be, I can defend us.” Cecil said. “My blade will make short work of them, and it will be all worth it so we can finally meet back with Kain again.”

The group was ways away from where The Enterprise had landed, and were approaching the outskirts of the mountain.

“Alright.” Cecil said, “Stay close and we should be able to scale Mt. Ordeals in short time; Kain will most likely be at the Lu—“ he was interrupted by a bright flash in the sky.

The trio held their hands over their eyes until the light dimmed down. Another airship had appeared from seemingly nowhere.

////

When the light returned to normal, Kain removed his hand from in front of his eyes. Then the dragoon took another look to realize he had hands once more.

“I’m human again.” He spoke aloud.

Kain looked to Rarity, expecting to have the pony next to him in shock. Instead he was surprised when next to him was a woman. She was of light complexion with blue eyes and black hair that was styled into very pronounced curls at the end. She came up to just over the dragoon’s shoulder length and was wearing white, silken robes that complimented her figure elegantly; the robes had a deep purple trim to them with diamonds along the neck of the garb.

“Kain?” the woman asked, beholding light skinned man with flowing blonde hair and blue eyes. “Is that you? You’re true form?”

The woman lost her balance, but was caught by Kain.

“Rarity?” the dragoon asked.

“I don’t understand.” Rarity said. “Why am I a human like you?”

“She’s not the only one with transformative issues!” Midnight Oil cried out from the controls of the Intrepid.

The couple turned to see a man dressed in blue and black clothes struggling to stand at the wheel.

“What the heck am I anyways?” the pilot asked.

Kain then helped Rarity walk over to the rails of the airship. “This is quite the new experience.” Rarity said.

“For you it certainly is, but for me its home.” Kain said as the two beheld the scenery. Instead of a chain of mountains, there was only one large mountain surrounded by forests.

“Mt. Ordeals.” Kain said.

“Isn’t that where you said you were last before being transported?” Rarity said.

The dragoon took a deep breath and smiled. “I’m back.”

Then his focus moved downward to see a landed airship nearby.

“It couldn’t be... Is that the Enterprise?” Kain asked himself.

Rarity looked down as well. “Do you recognize that airship?” she asked. “Are those your friends?”

Kain was silent for a moment as he grasped the word. “Indeed, those are my friends.” He replied. “Midnight Oil, can you take us down towards the other airship on the port side?”

“Yeah, as soon as I can get the hang of these weird forelegs.” The pilot replied.

Kain chuckled and walked over with Rarity back to the controls. “Let me help you with that.” The dragoon said as he helped land the airship.

Kain noted three figures standing and watching the Intrepid from a distance. It was them, they’d come to seek him out. It was finally time to reunite.

After landing, Cosine and Codex, dressed in overalls and goggles joined the party on deck before making their way off the ship. The two groups made their way towards one another across a stretch of open field. As the gap closed, Kain could begin to see the faces of his friends from Baron.

Cid, Cecil, and Rosa looked the same as they did the last time he saw them. There was an air of apprehension now, but Kain kept smiling, approaching ever closer with Rarity at his side.

The parties slowed down as they closed the distance. Kain noted Cecil stepping forward, and he did the same in turn.

“Kain!” the paladin said. The dragoon walked forward to greet his ally. Cecil offered a hand and the two of them exchanged a warrior’s handshake with both arms.

“It’s been a long time!” Cecil continued. “I was told by a voice to find you. I came over here as soon as I could, thinking you were in some sort of danger, but I’m relieved to find you here alright!”

Slowly, the two parties converged to meet. “You’ve certainly made some friends.” Cecil said.

“Can’t say that I recognize that airship you flew in on.” Cid said. “It’s certainly nothing like what I designed.”

“That’s because me and my crew designed it!” Midnight Oil said.

“You see, the airship is so different because it isn’t’ from this world.” Kain said.

“You went to another world Kain?” Rosa asked.

“Indeed I did.” Kain replied. “After I set out on my own, I wanted to find the same redemption that Cecil did to become a paladin. Little did I know that those plans included me going away from the Blue Planet. I met some friends along the way and as it turned out, they were the key to me reconciling my inner demons.”

“They’re not all present before you, but among present company are Rarity, Midnight and his crew Cosine and Codex. “ Kain said. While each person in his party acknowledged their name. “Rarity is a lady who understood all too well the level of manipulation that the darkness can muster. Were it not for her, I might not have been able to relate to anyone and have become reclusive once more. The airship engineer and his crew partook in the final confrontation in my trial.

All of the former ponies waved at their introductions. “Rarity, Midnight, Codex, Cosine, these are my comrades that I’d helped before going to Equestria; they include my childhood friends Cecil Harvey, paladin, and Rosa Farrel, white mage. And the bearded fellow is my home country’s premier airship engineer, Cid.

The Baronians each nodded at their introductions.

“A pleasure to finally meet you.” Rarity said. “Kain has spoken highly of each of his friends from his past. I would love to speak with you more.”

“Premier airship engineer you say?” Midnight asked. “Say you wouldn’t mind helping out a fellow engineer would you? The Intrepid took a banging not too long ago and I really haven’t had the time as of late to completely check her for any serious problems.”

“Not a problem kid!” Cid said. “You should come back with us to Baron and get your airship fixed up.”

“That sounds like a great idea Cid.” Rosa said. “As heartfelt this reunion is, I think us talking out here near Mt. Ordeals is hardly the venue for us to catch up.”

“I agree.” Cecil said.

////

The Intrepid was soon en route with the Enterprise to Baron, crossing a vast ocean. Aboard the Equestrian airship, Rarity was with Kain at the front of the ship.

“Kain, darling, you seemed to have omitted a particular subject from your conversation earlier.” The former unicorn looked at the dragoon with an eyebrow raised.

“I know, I know.” Kain said defeated. “They just seemed so happy to see me again. I just could not bear to ruin our reunion with me bringing up my betrayal . Still, I won’t avoid it. Once we’re in the right setting, I’ll bring up the past.”

“I’ll be right with you Kain.” Rarity said. “Remember you don’t have to face them alone.”

////

When the airships landed at Baron, the engineers almost immediately set about comparing designs while getting to repairing the Intrepid.

Cecil and Rosa already had the castle workers prepare for dinner. They’d invited Kain, Rarity, and the others to catch up on the time they’d lost.

For the most part, the meal went well. Kain actually had some reservations about eating meat after spending time in Equestria and opted to actually eat a salad, much to the confusion of his old friends. It was then when he broached the subject of going to another world to Cecil, Rosa, and Cid.

For the most part, they reacted quite normal to the idea that there was a world full of unicorn, pegasi, and earth ponies working together to establish harmony. That subject paled in comparison, however, to what Kain was going to talk about next. Kain asked if he, Rarity, Cecil and Rosa could have a word after dinner.

The four of them had moved to the balcony overlooking the courtyard of Castle Baron. The stars and moon were out and there was a profound silence amongst the group.

“I need to speak with you.” Kain said, awkwardly beginning the conversation. “About why I’ve avoided you two for so long.”

Rarity gave Kain a reassuring nod. Rosa and Cecil both gave their utmost attention to the dragoon.

“I couldn’t face you again after the jealousy I harbored led me to betray you two.” Kain began. “I thought that if I kept myself away from everyone I cared about until I conquered my own darkness that everything would work itself out and I’d be able to face you both once more.”

“But as I’ve learned, you can’t face your demons alone and it's because I sought help from others that I can stand here with you tonight and say how truly sorry I am.” The dragoon said. “Cecil, I almost let my inner darkness gain control of me and kill you. After all of the time we grew up together like brothers, I am ashamed that I would even harbor the thought.”

Then Kain turned to Rosa. “And Rosa, I am most sorry to you. I was caught up in my selfish emotions over you. I loved you, yet I should have respected that you loved Cecil. If I hadn’t had a weak resolve, I might not have been controlled by Golbez so easily. Instead, I let those horrible thoughts and motives taint my soul.”

Kain breathed slowly. “It almost cost me my two greatest friends.” Kain had gotten to his knees by this point, pouring forth his entire being. “I am so sorry for all that I’ve done. Please find it in your hearts to forgive me.”

The couple each put a hand on Kain’s shoulders, beckoning him to his feet.

“Kain, of course you’re forgiven.” Cecil said.

“We just wanted you to come back to us.” Rosa said. “But those feelings Kain, I would never have been able to return them to you the way you wanted me to.”

The dragoon was at his feet now, with his head still bowed down. “I’m sorry that I didn’t realize it until it was too late.”

Rarity had moved up behind Kain and placed a hand on his should as well.

“But it seems that you needn’t look far to find someone important in your life. There are people that care about you all around you. You just need to let them in. You can be happy the same way Cecil and I are. I’m sure of it.” Rosa said.

////

Kain spent the night in his old chambers. They were untouched since he last stayed at Baron, aside from it periodically being cleaned. He sat on his bed staring at the night sky.

There was a knock at the door.

“Come in.” Kain said.

Rarity entered the room and sat down on a chair next to his bed. “Your world is quite beautiful Kain.” She said. “I’d never thought to ever meet a race of beings so enamored with clothing that they wear them everywhere. And your friends, Cecil, and Rosa; All of them seem to care so deeply for you after all this time.”

Rarity sighed. “You’re luckier than you realize Kain. To be able to come back to them, but why do you look so sad?”

The dragoon turned and looked out at the moon. “Because I’m going to have to leave them once again.” Kain said.

“No Kain!” Rarity said. “Not after all you’ve gone through. It would break their hearts!”

“There’d be another’s heart whom I couldn’t bear to break if I stayed.” Kain said. “Especially after all that I’ve gone through.”

The moonlight was so profound that night that Kain could see Rarity’s light complexion redden at his statement.

“I’ve decided to go return to Equestria with you.”

Rarity leaped out of her seat and embraced Kain.

“Oh Kain!”

////

The following morning Kain told his friends of his decision, and with heavy hearts they helped their friend prepare to depart from them once again. But there was an air of joy as they noted the closeness of Kain and Rarity. They understood what this meant for him.

The goodbyes were bittersweet and the Baronians were soon watched their beloved friend, Kain Highwind, take to the skies aboard the Intrepid.

Kain navigated the airship south of Baron to the mountains, a place he once secluded himself. This time, he when he landed he wouldn’t be alone. The airship moved towards Mt. Ordeals and the party once again saw a radiant light emanated from all around them, and the Intrepid vanished from the skies of the blue planet.

The Equestrian airship returned to its home plane with its equine passengers. A bright light ushered the vessel to its original world. It was day and aboard the Intrepid, Kain could see for miles. The land of Equestria was bathed in sunlight. It was so different, yet so familiar. Maybe it might never be home like before, but now there was a true opportunity to start over.

Rarity was ready to tell her friends about her new special somepony and his friends. Kain was ready to help the land that had done so much for him. He was ready to help in any way he could.

The elements, slumbering within their confines, suddenly awoke and glowed.

~Belligerent Bindlestiff

Author's Note:

Musical Inspiration/Accompaniment: “The Lunarians” FFIV DS OST; “The Airship” FFIV OST; “The Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV” FFIV DS OST; “Opening Movie” FFIV DS.

Comments ( 23 )

Great story.

The elements, slumbering within their confines, suddenly awoke and glowed.

Do I sense a sequel coming?

Rosa and Cecil both gave their upmost attention to the dragoon.

that's.... utmost

7248597 Dragoon as in Dragon Knight. :derpytongue2:

Peresiuming rgthat this signifies the end of the story, i can give a proper rating. *ahem*

This story was a fantastic fun filled Final Fantasy fic. one of the best (of that kind) i've seen recently, in fact.
It had drama, mystery, romance, a little darkness, and enough action and comedy to at least keep me smiling nearly the whole time. Also, i liked the way the characters developed, especially Kain and Rarity! (#OTP.)

with the bonus points i gave previously, that's a 13/10 on the :yay:itude meter. i say let this ship sail!

7248597

Dragon knights are a class of warriors in Final Fantasy that can leap into the air and come crashing down with their spears unharmed.
7248870

:ajsmug:
7249005

Fixed.

Thanks for that review, it means alot to have had people finish this story with me, and to have enjoyed it as well.

Awww... I'm liking the RariKain ship already.

This was very nice. I would love to have an epilogue chapter if possible though.

well, this was a good story, I was hopping for a big boss fight along with his old comrades but this is good enough at least their is some closure to the story all I would have hope to have seen more glimpses of what happen to the guy after his reunion.

Good job for your first story on this site; hope to see more of you later.

7249070
7249209
I'm glad you like them together.

It makes me wonder if it warrants the romance tag for the story. Is it a spoiler if I clue readers that there is a relationship towards the end of the story?
7249552
7249894
I was weighing on how much time I would have spent on the Blue Planet during this chapter. I sort of wanted it to incorporate some elementd of an epilogue, but also move where I needed the story to go.

I should be posting later on my future story plans.

I've seen a lot of crossover fanfics in my time across the Internet, and most are handled with the grace of a drunk elephant.
Thank you for writing a truly exceptional story. It was an utter joy to read and I have no regrets in reading practically non-stop for two straight days.
I've browsed on Fimfiction for years, but t'was only recently I made an account for myself.
You sir, shall be remembered, as the author of my first favorite. Great work!

7260029

I'm truly honored by that sentiment and glad that I could have had such an effect on a person by writing this story.

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy IV. One day the thought of Kain in Equestria just wouldn't leave my mind, and now we have the story here today. I'm ecstatic that others enjoyed this ride so much.

There is still more to be written and I hope you stick around for it.

I've been putting this book on hold for sometime when you first told me about this and now that I fully read it, I can say that I love it. I was introduced to Final Fantasy with Tactics and X so those have some meaning to me. I, of course, took some time to learn about the others starting with this one. It would be soon that number four would be up there as my favorite Final Fantasy with Tactics and X.

I love this story and I'm glad you introduced me to it :twilightsmile:

Any new for the sequel?

7629540

About two chapters into writing it. Other things have me bogged down a bit.

8090302

I would like to thank you for the great volume of input you've given.

Looking back at the "why" of this story and the "why" of Kain's motivation. He's tried to find answers, but only the way Cecil found redemption. Your insight into the differences between him and Cecil are spot on.

I am also very glad that you gave this story a chance after reading "Half Empty" and nearly being distraught about the turn this story appeared to be taking. Believe me, I did not want to go as far as leaving my readers in disbelief over the matter. Its something I was concerned with when I decided to break those chapters into two parts.

Thematically, I felt it had to go down that way as I wanted my audience to feel the same way as the other characters did when Dark Kain betrayed everyone without anyone knowing the truth. Its a theme I truly did not want to linger on for too long, so I made attempts to have "Half Full" be released as soon as possible afterwards.

Its a really risky/sketchy move, I know. And its one of those things that we see a lot of in other media. Cliff hangers, as much emotional pull as they leave readers for wanting answers, in a reading format it can prove difficult. I find myself upset that it took so long with completing the "Hardened Heart" arc and even going as far as teasing my readers for wondering what was going on. I realize now that I would rather respect my readers' curiosity and fascination with my work.

8331242
NES 2 was an odd game in the series that had so many problems, but something about it still stays in my heart.

8331788
As far as character study goes I think it's probably a little bit of a lot of things. Mainly that whatever her actual feelings toward him are, she's vain and likes being flattered in the meantime :duck:

I guess I figure between that, her affected classiness, and the fact that she's been protective and even possessive of him in the past, it's unlikely she'd be that outright rude and dismissive.

So I just finished. The story has some issues, but overcomes them. It really helped that you had a character jaded and adaptable enough that you didn't need to spend entire chapters on the body freakout and the meet and greet we've all seen a hundred times in every pony crossover ever. He just rolled with it, and you did most of the individual introductions alongside more important development. You also knew when to exposit offscreen, which is something a lot of authors could do to learn. You condensed very effectively a part that a lot of stories like this agonize over for a long time, and it made the story feel much more substantial and well-paced.

Your strongest point was the character introspection. Kain is a meaty-ass character, and you did a good job of bringing out his guilt and insecurities without turning it into a masturbatory angst bomb. He was very self-aware and mature about his shortcomings, and connecting him to both Luna and Rarity through their own villainous episodes helped because he was smart enough to recognize an example. It never really felt like he was just navel gazing for the sake of it.

There were a few things that felt like they came completely out of left field, like Random Vision Of Ricard at the end. But then...it is Final Fantasy. Some things come with the territory.

I've brought up some issues throughout, and it's important to note that those things happening in an otherwise very good story with good pacing and character introspection actually makes them more jarring than if they were in Self Insert In Equestria #35512. You feel a bump on a smooth road more than when you're driving through an artillery field and all.

The thing I haven't brought up yet is that you need a proofreader. There were a lot of minor technical errors -- spelling, punctuation, misused words, awkward sentence structure. I remember one chapter you spelled Zeromus like three different ways. Near the end on the airship, Rarity says "May I enter Kain?" and the lack of comma sends the mental picture straight to the gutter :twilightblush: In general these goofs didn't...quite disrupt things, but again, they were more jarring than usual because they happened in the middle of much more solid writing than they typically indicate.

Anyway, that's all I can think of. Thank you for the story. I had a lot of fun reading it :twilightsmile:

8334338
Hey, a great review that's honest and an appreciation for the story is what I'm grateful for the most. This story really does need a cleanup, and I really would like to go over it again.

11554493
You are replying to a comment made almost 6 years ago by someone who was in highschool. How about you grow up?

Login or register to comment