• Published 8th Dec 2012
  • 2,452 Views, 51 Comments

From Eternia to Equestria - deathtap



A story about the origins of Equestria and how it came to be...

  • ...
5
 51
 2,452

Chapter 3: The Foundation of Harmony

"I've never heard of... what was the name of that city?" Rainbow asked, munching on her daisy sandwich.

They were sitting outside the castle in front of a few boxes surrounded by bright lights. The ground was still glowing red in that slow throb that dimmed slightly before brightening up again. The girls had all come out of the holo-chamber leaving Orko to take a nap. Although he did seem young and lively, the girls knew that he was an ancient relic from a past that no living pony could remember.

Maybe.

"Nephelippion," Twilight replied. She was looking at the entrance to Castle Grayskull as if expecting it to suddenly talk. The amount of secrets that resided within those walls. It made her giddy just thinking of it.

Still, there was one thing that bothered her. The Sorceress' mane. It was almost like Princess Celestia's, except that there were more colors on the Sorceress than on her mentor. While her friends discussed all that they had learned, her thoughts were on the most obvious of questions. Was the Sorceress Princess Celestia? Could she really be that ancient? Were the immortal Royal Sisters older than she had expected them to be, or was there more to this than that?

She felt somewhat overwhelmed.

"Who wants a cupcake?" Pinkie revealed a pink coated goody and waved it in front of Rainbow.

When nopony answered, she scarfed it down in one bite, chewing it quickly at first before slowing down, her puffed up cheeks turning up at the corners revealing a very satisfied smile.

"Twilight, what d'ya supposed we ought ta see next?" Applejack asked.

"I want to know more. Maybe let Orko show us key events throughout their history. We don't even have a time frame to compare it to. I don't know when these events took place, and I'm not sure our history texts cover this far back. I've never heard of there being two Canterlots, for example. Where would the first one be?"

"Yeah! And like I said, I've never heard of... what was that name again?"

"Nephelippion." This time both Twilight and Applejack said it at the same time.

"Yeah, that. I mean... was that Cloudsdale's old name? Or maybe... what about Pegasopolis? I mean, could it be that city?"

"No. We know Pegasopolis existed, albeit briefly, as was Unicornia and... Dirtville," Twilight shuddered at the name, remembering the Hearth's Warming Eve pagent, "but all those cities never really existed, as the leaders of our peoples united under one banner and named our land Equestria. Remember?"

"Oh yeah!"

"Well, I for one think what we've learned invaluable. Did you see those uniforms the unicorn guards wore? I mean alicorn guards, sorry. They were simply divine! And they all look so big and strong." Rarity sighed, "I do wish they were still around."

"Let's go back inside. I want see more." Twilight tidied up her spot and put the leftovers back into the picnic basket. A guard came seemed to appear out of the darkness beyond the lights and levitated the basket away with his horn, taking it back into the shadows with him just beyond the light.

Applejack felt uncomfortable with the guards standing around like that, but they were still suspicious about everything, and did not like standing on top of the glowing red crystal floor. She knew better than to complain, after all these ponies were just doing their job.

Reluctantly, the five mares followed Twilight back inside. They were all curious as well, but they did not have the thirst for knowledge that their purple friend had. They knew how obsessive Twilight could get when it came to learning.

They all walked in to see Orko still napping. Twilight walked over and shook the creature awake.

"Wha-? Who? Oh! Hi, girls. Ready to get started?"

"What are you going to show us next?" Pinkie asked, hoping that it was a happy vid.

Orko stroked his chin, "Well, most of what happens is boring stuff. Mostly Swift taking court and issuing new laws, proclamations, and the like. After Nephelippion was founded, peace reigned for years. But... something bad happened. So, the next part is really, really sad. Sorry, Pinkie."

Pinkie's mane deflated.

"It does get better afterwards... we could skip this part, but it would leave a lot of questions unanswered. I guess."

"Why do you always guess?" Rarity asked. She had ignored it the first few times, but he just kept repeating it to the point where it was grating on her nerves.

Orko shrugged, "Dunno. I guess it's because I'm never really too sure about anything. Never was, but it got worse over time. I guess."

Rarity didn't know whether to be mad or sorry for Orko, so she just sucked down her anger and grinned.

"Okay, then let's see what you have to show," the white unicorn gestured.

Orko looked at the remote in his hand for a moment, then up at the girls, "Are you sure? It's not pretty."

The ponies exchanged looks, but it was Twilight who nodded and took the initiative.

"I want to know."

"Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you."

With that, Orko pushed play.

At once the room was engulfed in fire. Flames licked the tapestries, smoke filled the room. The recorder was bouncing around, and it took a moment for them all the realize that it was being carried. The recorder turned and focused on a particular area. That was when Fluttershy screamed as the remains of a charred alicorn appeared when a breeze blew the smoke clear. They could not feel the breeze, nor the heat of the fires, but they could see the death and destruction, they could hear screams of equines dying.

"Make it stop," the butter colored pegasus whispered, covering her eyes and shaking in terror. "Please..."

As horrifying as it was, this was their history. The other mares watched with emotions flooding through them. Nopony in recent history had ever seen this before. This was the raw, horrifying truth.

More screams; distant cries of agony. This was not like the invasion they had suffered by the Changelings a matter of days ago. There was no comparison.

The Mane Six huddled close together in an effort to give one another some comfort. Pinkie lay on the floor next to Fluttershy singing to herself quietly in an attempt to drown out the noises that came from all round them. Rarity, Twilight, Rainbow and Applejack watched as the recorder kept going down the hall until the arrived at a set of particularly large doors. The doors to the throne room.

A hand appeared from below the recorder, the fingers and palm spread out as a blast of white light surged from it. The doors blew open, one of them completely off the hinges as it bounced once against the floor before sliding to a halt in the middle of the room. It was empty. Running now, the recorder bouncing faster as the area ahead of them grew larger, the carrier approached the throne. Then it turned to the right, the doors to the giant balcony were wide open.

"Swift?" a voice asked for a moment before the recorder made its way through the doors.

The stallion in question stood looking over a city engulfed by flames. The recorder was dropped and the Sorceress ran out to the stallion throwing her arms around his strong neck.

"The city burns," he said gently, but in his eyes there was an ever bigger inferno burning. The intensity made the girls take a step back. "It is as if the name itself is cursed."

"Canterlot," the Sorceress whispered the name. "Why has she done this? How?"

"I do not know, but I intend to find out. My forces are broken, scattered. Those loyal to me have remained here in this castle, but it is only a matter of time before this place falls as well. These creatures are unlike anything we've ever faced in the past. They are shape-shifters, doppelgangers... changelings. They can assume the body and shape of any they choose, and they have chosen very wisely."

"We cannot stay here, Swift. We need to leave."

"I will remain and see this through. If it is my time, then so be it. I will atone for my sins."

The Sorceress ran to Swift and hugged his neck, "It's not your fault!"

"Is it not? The one that I loved has broken free from her prison, poisoned my people, changing them into... these abominations!" At those words, his horn glowed and out from a wall the remains of a changeling were unceremoniously tossed to one side.

It was huge. Far bigger than the changelings that the Elements had fought against a couple of days before. A changeling the size of these alicorns. The thought of it made the girls shudder.

"How? How did she... change them?" She-Ra asked.

He walked to the edge of the balcony and peered down, "Her fangs are like those of a snake. She injects her victim with poison! She had bit her guards and changed them. They in turn bit others, and over time she had amassed an army big enough to overthrow my own. We would have never stood a chance if it had not been for Night Flower. She has saved whatever is left of us. Without her we would have been overrun. May she rest in peace."

"And where is Spirit now?" the Sorceress asked.

"Gone. Gone from the city that burns. She has seen that we have found a flaw in her... poison, accidental though it may be. It saved us from her."

"What was it?"

Looking down at the ground, Swift growled, "Their poison does not change the pegasi, only us unicorns. My... personal guard had sacrificed their magic. Their horns are gone, but some were too late. Some had to sacrifice... more."

The girls all saw a large number of equines running through the streets below the balcony. Neither had horns nor wings on their bodies, yet despite that they seemed strong and very capable of fighting back.

"I was once a equine with neither wings nor horn, and as a tribute to the sacrifice of my people, I shall also release my powers. I shall become what I once was before... before I given the gift to fight along side you."

"No! Swifty, you cannot! The magic within you isn't the same as them. You were granted that form by the powers of Castle Grayskull. If you take it away, it will kill you."

He bit his lip repressing his anger and disappointment. "Then I must suffer in this form while my people sacrifice themselves?"

"I'm sorry, Swifty, but yes, you must. It's also the reason why no poison has affected you. You are different to them, Swifty. Different to us all. You are the Prince of all Equestrians, and you have a duty to those that follow you to see things through. You cannot sacrifice your power, you must instead sacrifice your freedom and bear this burden..." the Sorceress fought back the tears with futility, "I will try to ease your pain, but you will have to carry this weight yourself. I'm sorry."

"Yes. I must atone. Why must they suffer for my sin? They did nothing but wish for a peaceful life. It is I that have brought them these horrors and it is I who must earn their forgiveness. These are unicorns, proud and true. They have fought along side us for centuries on Etheria, and now many have been reduced to being nothing more than a horse! A mere beast of burden!"

The Sorceress slapped Swift Wind which silenced him. He did not turn his head to look at her.

"Don't you dare say that! Don't you dare! You were never a beast, nor were you one of burden! You have always been my friend. You have always been special to me. Do not demean yourself just because you feel that this is your bane," she shouted. "Rise up! Meet your destiny as you have always done. That is who you are."

He still refused to meet her eyes.

"I must put an end to all this. Put an end to everything," Swift replied after a long moment.

The sounds of the screams had long since died down, only to be replaced with the sounds of rubble collapsing as buildings toppled over sending ash, soot and embers floating up into the darkened sky.

"What do you mean?" asked the sorceress, clearly not liking where this was going.

"I must find Spirit... and kill her."

The Sorceress backed away from Swift, "B-but you can't!"

"I must. With with my own hooves, I must. This madness must cease! Too many have died, and many more will unless I end this once and for all. I will not allow our world to be plagued with war and terror on the basis that my," he paused and put on a disgusted expression, "mate, refuses to see reason!"

"Has it really come down to this?"

Swift turned on the Sorceress, "You will stay and rule while I continue with my campaign. I will take only those with neither horns nor wings and we will hunt this cancer from our lands and purge it. I do not know how long I will be gone for, but I will not return until I have fulfilled this oath."

The Sorceress looked at the stallion for a moment then bowed, "I will do as you ask. Only... if you will humor with one, small request."

"Speak."

"When you... when you do find her, please... let it be as your name, Swift."

Swift Wind looked hard at the Sorceress for a moment before turning away. "We shall see."

The stallion walked over to the balcony and spread his massive wings.

"If I do not return, protect my people. They will look to you for guidance and support."

"I will!" she said, "Only, do come back..."

The stallion leaped off the balcony and flew towards the far end of the city.

The Sorceress stared after him with a pained expression on her face. Only when he was out of sight did she fall to the ground and weep.

"Please come back... to me..."

The room started fading to black before brightening up again. Orko hovered above the girls, his hands behind his back not really knowing what to say to them.

"That was horrible!" Rarity said, wiping her tears, "How could she do that? How could Spirit do such dreadful things!"

"Why?" Applejack shook her head, "It makes no sense! No stallion is worth... killin' over..."

"I don't want to be here anymore," Pinkie whined. "I don't like seeing ponies hurt..."

Twilight hugged the pink mare.

"I understand. If you want to wait outside, go ahead," Twilight said to the pink mare as a mother would a scared child.

Pinkie sniffled and nodded. She stood up and headed for the exit followed closely by a very mute Fluttershy. The two of them paused and looked back at their friends for a moment, then continued on until they were two black dots against the red light emanating from the crystal-like lake.

"You three sure you wanna stay?"

Rainbow nodded, "I don't like this, but I want to know what happens. I want to see what happens."

Turning away, Applejack sighed, "It ain't right. It just ain't right. I've got to see this through."

"You... you do realize something, right?" Rarity asked.

Twilight and Rainbow shared a look with Applejack, "What?"

"It's the changelings, my dears. Didn't you hear what Swift was saying? Didn't you notice the body of that alicorn? That changeling?" Rarity looked at each of them. When none of them replied, she stomped her hoof, "The changelings... are alicorns!"

None of the others replied for a long moment.

"I... guess it makes sense... they do have horns and wings after all..." Twilight replied, not wanting to believe it.

Orko hovered lower to the ground under he was level with the ponies, "Look, I don't know if you want to see what happens after. It's one of the darkest moments of your world's history..."

"No. I want to see it. I have to see it."

The trollan understood and hovered away, "Okay. Shall we get started?"

Twilight closed her eyes and took a deep breath, "Okay. Go."

The video changed. The screen showed that the recording device was now placed on the ceiling looking down from above. They were in the throne room again, but this time the insides were different. The alicorns were nowhere to be seen, and instead there were pegasi, unicorns and earth ponies lines up along the sides. They all bowed low to the Sorceress as she entered, her hair blowing in the breeze.

"Please, my friends, please do not bow to me. I am only the steward of your city, nothing more."

One of the unicorns, a mare, stepped forward, "You may not be an equine like us, but you have stayed by our peoples' side and have helped rebuild this great city. For that, we bow in thanks, for you are our world's protector. The Sorceress of the Castle Grayskull."

Forcing a smile, the Sorceress nodded politely to the mare and made her way to the throne.

She did not sit on it, instead took a seat in front of it on a step lower.

For a while the girls heard them talking about the status of the kingdom. Some boring reports about food, something about infestation of rats in a section of the city, and plenty of other things. The girls exchanged looks, not sure what was so bad about this. They way he made it sound, they were expecting-

The screen went black. Everything went black.

Slowly light returned, and the girls were now looking at the scene at a strange angle. The entire throne room was covered in smoke as three black creatures charged the Sorceress. There was no sound, but two pegasi leaped to the Sorceresses side and fought against the three. It took her a moment, but the Sorceress recovered from whatever cause the sudden blackness and the three were locked in cages of light.

The sound slowly returned.

"... take the wounded to the infirmary! Quickly!" The Sorceress turned to the mare she had been talking to moments before and knelt on the ground placing her hand on her side. Nothing. Slowly, She-Ra closed the mare's eyelids for the last time, as she wiped her tears with her other hand.

"The explosion came from a fourth, my lady. He... she... it was hiding in the audience," one of the guards said. "He was disguised as Flowing River. I am sorry-"

"Do not be. It is I who should say I am sorry. He was after me. I should have been the one to die, not her. Not them..."

"Those who refuse to coexist with others will always find a reason to harm those that they think are wrong, my lady. This is not anyone's fault but that of their own. They are ignorant and do not wish to see reason."

The Sorceress looked at the dead on the floor in front of her. Too much death. Too much sadness.

Again the screen faded and the white light returned.

Before the girls could say anything the hologram around them changed and they found themselves inside a forest. A deep, dense forest.

"Sire, we are at the ruins of Old Canterlot," a very large earth pony stated. He was in full barding and on his head he wore a helm of iron. He had numerous scars on his face and wore a hardened expression.

Swift appeared, stepping into the hologram and gazed at the stallion. "Destrier, you have been with me since the start of this campaign. You have fought by my side through all of this and never have you once shirked your duties nor complained. You have done much for me, and I cannot with good conscious ask you to do this, but you are the only equine in this army that the others will follow. I have no choice."

"My liege, I will follow you to the ends of this world and the next if that is your will." Destrier stated, bowing. His armor clinked as he did so.

"Then will you lead the charge on the ground against the castle while I attack from above with the pegasi? Those without their horns and those with shall be under your command." He bowed his head, "Use the horned ones to form a barrier from their arrows."

Destrier looked at Swift and sighed, "You cannot keep calling us un-horned. It does nothing but remind us of what we were. We do not have the magic that we once possessed, but we are strong. Perhaps even stronger than the others. We are grounded to this world, our hooves are rooted into the soil. We love this land as we have always done since we have come here, and always will. Now that we are bound to the it, we shall love it like no other."

"So be it. Then you shall be that of the earth, and we shall know you as such."

"Earthbound, we are. Our strength is yours to command!" Destrier stomped his hoof, the ground cracking from the impact.

Swift smiled slightly, "Then go, earthbound. Let us meet our destinies head on."

The image faded out for a moment, but quickly switched to an aerial view of the ground far below them. It seemed as if Swift was wearing the recorder around his head. The view twisted around to see a huge number of pegasi flying behind him. So many there were, of all ages. So many that were so young, no older than the mares that were watching them at that very moment, while others had more than a few gray hairs in their manes.

The focus shifted back, and far below they could see a castle under siege. Fires were burning bright all around, arrows and projectiles of magic flashed through the air, yet the pegasi remained silent in the sky.

Then there was an almighty explosion as the far side of the castle walls were brought down. A large line of these earthbound stormed the breach, using their bodies as weapons. Blades attached to their hooves tore through the alicorn changelings as the horned ones fired a continuous barrage of magic at them. Many fell, but the breach was taken. They had a way in.

Again the image moved to face the pegasi.

"Ready! We fly low, we fly fast. We cut their support and lower the gates!" Swift shouted.

His order was repeated louder to the entire pegasi army. A yellow mare with an orange mane who seemed to lead these pegasi. "We will follow you to the end, sire," she said to Swift.

"Do not die, Haze," he said quietly, turned and charged.

The view of the ground zoomed up at the girls as they watched Swift and Haze lead the pegasi in sharp dive towards the castle. Using his magic, her formed a barrier in front of him that the changelings could not break as the pegasi tore through their ranks. Using large curved blades attached to their hooves, they sliced their way towards the gates.

The walls were taken, only the keep remained.

"Surround it. Kill them all! Let none of them live past this night!" Destrier shouted crushing one of the changelings skulls beneath his hooves. The head imploded in a mess of green goo. The earthbound turned and saw Swift walking towards him and he bowed, "We have taken the walls. Their armies on the outside are scattered and broken. Only those within these walls remain."

Swift looked up at the keep. For a moment it seemed that all stood still. Even the wind had ceased to blow.

"Burn it."

"Sir?" Haze asked Swift refusing to believe what she had just heard.

"Burn it. To the ground."

"B-b-but, sir. There may be innocents inside!" another pegai shouted.

"I do not care, Tender Heart. My patience has long since waned. Only anger and frustration remains. Burn it."

Tender Heart took a step forwards, "Sire, I beg you to reconsider. Even they, our worst of foes deserve some mercy! They deserve some respite! They are only under the orders of their queen-"

"Who they will follow without question to their deaths. They are no longer capable of free thought, Heart! See sense in our lord's words! I know you do not want this, and neither do I, but it is the only way!"

"No, Haze, I will not! There is nothing to be gained by this!"

"Trust me, Heart. I know. I really do. My brother and my father are both those... things now. They're not equines anymore. They're creatures that have lost everything and have nothing. They are slaves with no will of their own."

"But... but..." Tender Heart looked to the others for support, but found none. Haze had spoken the truth that they did not want to hear.

"Do not let your kindness cloud your judgement, Heart. Do you really believe that our prince would order such a thing if there were any other way?" The voice of a stallion said out loud over the mare's pleas. Destreier walked to Tender Heart and placed a hoof gently on the mare's shoulder, "Do not make this harder on him than it has to. He must carry this burden on his own. We can only help make that weight lighter. He knows who they were, knows what's at stake. What would you have him do?"

"There has to be another way!"

Swift looked at Tender Heart, she looked up at him, stared deep into his eyes, then looked away. She knew then that there was none. It was indeed the only recourse they had.

"Perhaps they should be given a chance?" a horned one suggested. He walked up to Destrier, "Release the doors, give them a chance to live. If they come out and lower their weapons to surrender, then we will take them as prisoner. Tender may be right. We are not like them. We are better and we should lead by example."

Tender Heart looked at the horned one who spoke, "It's okay, Midnight... I know what needs to be done..."

"But yet you do not accept it. Sire, please allow me to give them this slight chance. I will stand with my kind to bar the way. We shall take this burden for it is we who wish to set an example for others. We might not have wings as we once had done, but we will make those that took them rue the day they were made."

Swift looked at the unicorn who spoke, his steel gaze on him.

The speaker gulped and bowed his head, "I meant only to say that sometimes a small act of mercy and generosity can go a long way."

There was a moment where nothing nor nobody moved. Then, slowly, Swift nodded once. Afterwards he turned and walked away. He took about fifty paces out and stood in front of the keep's massive doors; the only way in or out. Then he waited.

Midnight and his horned ones stood in front of the doors and lowered their horns. They were ready.

"Burn it!" Destrier shouted.

At once other the horned ones fired projectiles of fire into the keep. There was no movement nor any sound for a long while. Suddenly the front doors burst open as changelings piled out in one last futile attempt at escape or attack. Many were cut down by magic as they tried to take to the air and even more were cut down as they tried to gain altitude. The pegasi took those that managed to get far enough away from the projectiles, and yet there were still those that managed to get away. Some were pursued until they too were taken down, but there were survivors who had disappeared.

All through this, Swift Wind watched the keep burn, watched the stones crumble, watch the walls fall. Not once did he turn away until all that was left was smoke, rubble and soot. Swift turned and moved off, his personal guard followed him away.

"Not here either," Destrier whispered.

"Don't worry. We'll find her," Midnight replied and the two of them moved off.

The screen faded to white again.

"They... they slaughtered to them all!" Applejack shook her head, "I... I don't know what to say..."

Orko rubbed the back of his head, "I did tell you that the next parts were hard to see. It... it doesn't get much better than this, I'm afraid. Not through this war at least. I guess they had good reason to do it, but it doesn't make it any easier."

"Twilight, honey, I'm afraid I cannot witness any more... I'm... I'm not feeling too good," Rarity whispered. "If you don't mind, I will go outside with Fluttershy and Pinkie."

"Okay, Rare. I know it was hard to see..."

"Hard? Seeing a pony wear stripes with polka dots is hard. Seeing an unkempt handsome stallion is hard. This... this is..." Rarity could not find the worse to describe it. "Sorry, Twilight. I know it's important to you, so I won't ask you to stop, but I will take my leave."

Twilight understood and nodded. Generous with her time and patience, Rarity was her Element through and through. The three mares watched as the white unicorn headed towards the crystal lake, her head hung low.

"The poor thing," Applejack said quietly. "I hope that Pinkie can perk her up."

Twilight and Rainbow nodded. They too hoped that the pink mare could work her magic.

"Uh... do you guys want to continue?" a voice asked quietly from behind them.

The three remaining mares turned on Orko.

"How much more is there?" Rainbow asked, eying the exit.

"Quite a bit."

Rainbow was in two minds about leaving. Curiosity won her over and she steeled herself. She was going to stay. She wanted to know.

"Twilight, honestly, darlin', I'm not too sure if I can take much more of this. It's just too gosh-darn depressin'. I know it's all in our past, but there's just some thin's I'm happy not knowin'. I wanna know, but..."

"I need to stay. I need to see this through," Twilight replied gently. "Please don't stay if you don't want to. I'll be only a hallway away."

Applejack shook her head, "No. I wanna know too. Let's get this show on the road! Before I change my mind."

Orko nodded, "Here goes..."

The screen faded out for a moment before forming once more. They were standing at the edge of a cliff staring down over a large valley. Swift was to their left, but the focus was not on him. Deep in the valley lights of green and blue were lit, to their right smoke and fires were ablaze, while to their left in the sky the pegasi hovered in their thousands.

It was clear that the recorder was being held by someone else this time.

"We have them at last, my lord," Destrier said walking up to Swift and standing to his right -- the far side of where the girls were located. Despite Swift's large stature, Destrier's upper-half was clearly visible from their vantage. He was a huge stallion.

Swift tiled his head slightly towards the earthbound, "No. I dare not make any rash conclusions until I am certain that this infestation had been eradicated. The pegasi will remain in the sky. The unicorns are pushing them back. It will be time to end this soon."

"It shall be as you wish, my lord."

"This is wrong..." a voice whispered and the scene turned to the right. Tender Heart stared into the valley, shaking her head, "This isn't right... we're not like them... this isn't right..."

"I know, but we have exhausted all options," the voice with the recorder replied. It was Midnight's voice.

"You certainly live up to your name, Heart," another voice stated. The recorder turned another ninety degrees so that Midnight was looking away from the valley and back over his body. The earthbound stallion waltzed right up to them and slapped the mare on the back. "You certainly do have a tender heart. Perhaps I could... entertain you with an invitation to a small get together I am planning? I promise you there will be cake."

The mare winced slightly from the impact, but the smile on her face was genuine. "Why is it that whenever you are around, Percheron, I cannot help but smile?"

"Well... because it's because of my winning personality, is it not? It is not always easy to do certain things, but certain things need to be done in order for everyone to laugh and enjoy life. I don't like what we have done and what we must do, but if it ensures that future generations can wake up and live their lives free with a smile on their faces, then I believe it's worth it."

"But how can you think of a gathering when battle is about to commence?" Midnight asked.

"Because... I want to. And why not? I am no fool, Midnight. There will be those that die today, but their memories and their lives will be celebrated because even in death each life is an inspiration for the others to be better, become better. That is the way I believe."

"How can the end justify the means?" Tender whispered, looking nervously at Swift.

Percheron stood between her and their prince, "Because sometimes, just sometimes, the bumpiest road is the road one that must travel. One day the roads will be smooth, but until that time... we just have to make sure we avoid the biggest bumps, won't we?"

"At the ready!" Destrier shouted. Everyone there looked to the large earthbound.

The pegasi overhead drew their weapons from their scabbards; the blades sat snugly in their mouths. On their legs they had long scimitars attached to their hooves, and they waited patiently for their prey to rise towards them.

Far below in the valley the sounds of the battle escalated. Fires were burning of a multitude of colors; red, green, blue and violets bounced around the forest. Explosions erupted in little blasts as the fighting grew more and more intense. Finally, the sound of a horn echoed in the valley and at once a black tide rose up from the trees.

"Cut them down!" Destrier ordered, the pegasi rushed forwards to meet the changeling horde struggling to get away from the unicorns below them. It was over in minutes as the pegasi tore through the enemy ranks like a hot knife through butter. Bodies rained down as the unicorns pushed the remaining changelings further up the valley.

On the far end more explosions roared to life. They were trapped on two fronts. They had nowhere to go except up the slopes. On the far end the unicorns there started to cast spells sending boulders and rocks crashing down on the fleeing changelings as they tried to climb. Those that took to the air were cut down by the pegasi that were now making low sweeps of the valley.

That left only one way to go.

Swift watched as the changelings burst through the trees and up towards him and his waiting army. Here his forces looked the weakest, but behind the facade was a large number of earthbound. They had again and again shown their true strength. None could match their ferocity and hardiness on the field. With no magic to use and without flight, they had made up for their lack in power and stamina.

"Leave the Queen to me," Swift shouted to his equines, "the rest you may do as you wish."

"For Canterlot! For Grayskull! For Equestria!" Destrier roared. "Attack!"

The stallion and his earthbound rushed down to meet the changelings head-on. As the front-lines collided, the changelings were overpowered by the sheer force of the earthbound equines, many crushed under their hooves. Many fell, broken like tiny sticks beneath a great weight. The earthbound were a force they had never faced on open ground before, and from what was happening, was unlikely they ever will -- if they survived to learn from it.

Midnight, the stallion carrying the recorder was following Swift Wind and his personal guard through the battle. They never fully committed in engaging any particular force, instead chose to quietly observe the happenings.

In the chaos, a lone figure stood up. Tall and proud, with an aura of command, all eyes noticed her there.

Spirit looked up and saw her husband and he began walking towards her. His suit of armor glinted in the sun's fading light. There was a look of resignation on her face as she used her magic to draw two blades from her flanks. Two of her biggest guards stood in front of her, ready to die protecting their queen.

A sign from Swift's head made his bodyguards remain where they stood as they watched their liege walk on. His eyes glowing from the magic he was casting, his horn surrounded in a yellow glow. There was a glint of light from the edges of his wings as they reflected light, the tips possessed razor sharp blades that formed part of his armor.

The two guards roared and charged forward with long lances held with their changeling magic.

They were dead before they could take two steps as Swift cause the earth beneath them to form spikes that impaled them where they stood.

From the vantage of the recorder, the girls could clearly see the two move towards one another.

"Do you hate me that much that you would kill your own mate?" she asked.

Swift walked right up to her, "You ceased being my wife the day you murdered our son."

"All I wanted was for you to love me! All you had to do was love me! Why didn't you love me! Why couldn't you love me! All you have to do was love me! Not. That. Whore!" She let out a heart-wrenching cry of despair as she swung the blades at her husband from both sides, "She stole you from me! Tainted you!"

Swift used his wings to block them and watched as his wife raised her body in the air, the rear of her hooves possessing long spikes similar to what the pegasi had. He did not dodge and took one in the shoulder. He let out a tiny grunt as the spike hit home. Then, with the all his strength, shoved his Star up causing her to fall backwards to the ground.

Before she could move, she felt the weight of his hoof on her neck.

"I... I..." she whispered, "just wanted your love... I need your love..."

"You had my love until you betrayed me," he replied coldly.

She shuddered, fighting the tears that threatened to flow from her eyes, "Love... just... love... all I wanted... was love... your love... I needed your love... love me... love me... please just love me..."

"I will free you from your curse now," Spirit whispered and raised his right wing, pointing it at the back of the mare's head. "Rest in peace."

The blade went in and Spirit flinched before her eyes began alter in color and her body began to change. Then, for a moment she looked as she did before her transformation. She turned her head ever so slightly towards Spirit and smiled gently at him.

"Thank you... my... love..."

The light from her eyes faded and she moved no more.

From her body a black fog lifted and drifted away in the wind, the faint sound of malicious laughter fading into nothingness. Swift recognized it and closed his eyes controlling the rage that welled up within him.

"It's over!" a voice shouted. "It's finally over! We have won! The war is over!"

The call was taken up by many and soon the body of the changeling queen was paraded around like a prized trophy. The remainder of the changelings, those that had not been caught, had long since fled during the confusion.

The recorder faded quickly to black and returned a moment later.

They were now standing in a large copse, above them the pegasi were flying in stead patterns while around them both unicorn and earthbound ponies were keeping at eye on a large number of changelings.

"If one of you so much changes a single hair on your bodies," an earthbound shouted, "we'll cut you down where you stand and feed your carcass to the griffons!"

As if on cue, several wild griffons walked up and started snapping at the changelings, their massive beaks making hollow sound. The other equines laughed as the changelings tried to get away from the griffons.

"Look... look at that..." Rainbow stated in a hushed tone. The sight of the griffons reminded her of Gilda.

"Why're they actin' like that?" Applejack asked.

Twilight shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe they aren't evolved enough yet. They're acting more like pets than what Griffons we know today. And they're also..."

"Tiny!" her two friends exclaimed at the same time. It was true; these griffons were no bigger than a foal.

"My lord," a loud voice said and the recording device looked up as Destrier walked towards it, "what of the prisoners?"

Swift's voice could be heard, but her was unseen. "I have killed their queen. My hoof in the affairs of changelings is over. I think it is time that someone else chose their fate. Tender Heart?"

"Yes, sire?"

"I give you leave to decide what to do with these unfortunate creatures. You have shown them mercy and kindness through all of this. If there is a way that they can be... rehabilitated, then they can be granted a chance. One chance. If they dare to rise against our kind again and cause harm, then there will be no changelings on this world."

Tender Heart shuddered at the warning, but bowed to him, "It shall be as you say, my lord. I will help them."

"Good. Much we have gained and lost from this war, and we need to ensure that something like this does not happen ever again. We cannot allow the changelings to rise ever again."

"Sire?" his followers asked turning to one another unsure what he had in mind.

But he had began to walk off. With the war over, he wanted to return back home.

The image faded and the white returned as the three mares looked at each other.

"What a terrible, terrible war," Twilight whispered.

Applejack nor Rainbow had anything to add to that and kept silent.

"There's a little more," Orko said. He scratched his chin, "With the war over, I don't think the next part is so bad."

"Okay. Let's see it," Twilight stated looking to her friends in case they had any objections. When they made none, she nodded once more to Orko.

They were back in the throne room. It was full of equines of all kinds cheering and yellow. The Sorceress was to one side wearing a white dress with some leaves through her pastel colored hair.

"I do not have to tell you all of our victory against the changelings, and I am aware of the many opinions you have regarding their fate, but you have to remember that they too were once like us. Their crimes were not their own, and they were led by their Queen, whom I have slain. Now, we must look to the future. Our conquest has allowed us to explore far and wide. Eternia was a wide world, and it is now our time to spread forth and start a new chapter in our history."

There was some murmurs, but the girls could tell it was because of excitement.

"Therefore, it is only fitting that the lands be divided into smaller fiefdoms. Each realm will be there to ensure that not one kingdom should ever fall to the ways of evil and corruption. Destrier, for your fierce loyalty and your unyielding strength, I grant you the lands south of Canterlot. There you shall take your earthbound and make with it what you will. Tender Heart, for your unbending kindness even to those that wish you harm, the west is where you shall govern those that shall follow."

Tender Heart spread her wings, and lowered her head, "I... I don't know what to say. Thank you?"

Swift's voice chuckled slightly, "Do not thank me yet, Heart, for your reign has yet to begin. To the north, I will bestow to you, Midnight. You have shown generosity and and benevolence to even our worst enemies. May those that follow you learn by your example."

Midnight bowed his head, "Thank you, my liege."

"For your bravery and optimism, the lands to the east is where you shall rule, Percheron. Your ability to see the bright side even in the most darkest of moments will inspire others to follow your example."

"To the skies, I shall grant the rule to Haze. Your honest views, despite painful, always made sure that we did not need to lie to ourselves during the entire campaign. Let your way of government guide your kind."

The five stood in front of Swift. Each looked at each other, before bowing to him.

"Loyalty, generosity, kindness , honesty and laughter. These are the five foundations of any great kingdom. Without one, the others cannot exist. Together, it is unbreakable; an unstoppable force of truth, benevolence and freedom. Each of you have displayed these traits and each of you will lead by example. As a sign of your new lands and titles, I will bestow upon you the powers of Grayskull."

Closing his eyes, Swift concentrated his magic into his horn before levitating in the air. The power exploded forth and five necklaces of gold formed around each of their necks, at the center of each a brooch of precious gems appeared. The gems glowed in response to Swift as upon his head a circlet formed of the same material formed.

The light faded and the five gazed at their new symbols of status with mixed emotions.

"They are shards of the Swords of Power and Protection. They are powerful combined but apart they are useless," Swift smiled at his followers. "Our true enemy isn't one that can be beaten through raw power of strength, but only through the unity of our kind. I'm afraid that the war is not yet over, but I hope that for a time there will be peace. With our guidance, we will see to it that no matter what comes we shall be ready. Henceforth, we shall be your protectors. Never again will we wage war as we have done. Never again will the sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, have to commit to battle. It is us that will protect the innocent, defend our homes and preserve our way of life. This we vow."

The five all bowed in acknowledgement of the weight of responsibility Swift was prepared to give to them.

"I, Destrier, vow to be loyal to you and our kind."

"And I, Percheron, vow that there will always be a reason to celebrate with joy."

"With kindness and compassion for all, I vow my life to protect all those that need my help," Tender Heart smiled, tears in her eyes, meaning the words with all her heart.

"To give to those that need, even if it is my life, I, Midnight, vow to serve Equestria for as long as there is breath in my body."

"And I vow to always set an example of truth and justice, no matter how painful," Haze announced.

"We are your protectors, Equestria. The foundations of our way. Behold, we are your defenders." Swift stood up and walked to his five and stood in the center.

"All hail Swift Wind! All hail Percheron! All hail Midnight! All hail Tender Heart! All hail Haze!" a call sounded and was taken through the halls until outside the chants echoed through the air. It sounded like thousands had taken up the call.

"All hail the Elements of Harmony," the Sorceress said. "The six Elements that can create a world of peace, joy and most of all, love."

"Six?"

"Loyalty, laughter, generosity, kindness, honesty and... you, Prince. The element of magic."

Swift Wind laughed, "So be it. We are the Elements of Harmony! Together, we are strong. Let us always remember this. Tonight, we celebrate!"

The screen faded to black briefly before the scene changed.

It was later that same day. The Sorceress was wearing the same clothes, sat alone outside on the large balcony staring upwards at the night sky, the moon shining brightly. Far below there was music and the sounds of laughter took to the air. There was much celebrating and feasting going on. The balcony door opened slightly and in walked in Swift.

He was clearly celebrating quite hard, for he walked at a slight wobble.

"There you are! I've been searching all over for you. Why are you alone?" he asked. "Should you not be inside celebrating with the rest of us?"

"This is your kind's victory, Your Highness. This celebration belongs to you."

"What are you talking about? You are a part of this kingdom-"

"Please, Swifty. Stop. I am not like you. Please don't patronize me."

"What are you talking about? I would never patronize you. You are one of us. Of course you-"

"Look at me, Swift!" she screamed.

Swift took a step backwards, not expecting that sudden outburst.

"Look at me!" she whispered as she stood up. She placed her hand upon her chest, "Do I look like you? Do I have wings? A horn? Four legs? Hooves? A tail? Do I have a coat of beautiful colors?"

The prince of Equestria just stared in bewilderment.

"I am nothing like you... I am not one of you."

"She-Ra! What are you talking about?"

"I am a human, Swift. Human. Spirit was your mate, but how I wished with all my heart I was her! I wish that your heart was mine! I wish that I could be yours and run freely with your kind! I wanted you to myself! I want to be your mate!" A look of horror spread across her face. "I-I'm sorry... I... I'm sorry... I don't know where that came from..."

"She-Ra?" Swift did not move.

"I... I'm sorry... I... I don't know what came over me..."

He walked towards her.

"No! Go away! Get away from me... get away..."

Instead, Swift kept on walking until he was standing next to her, "You think that I care what you are? You think that any of us care?"

"No, Swift. Stop..." she backed away from him.

"Do you think that anyone thinks less of you because you are not like us?" he shouted, leaning in closer.

"Please... stop..." She-Ra whispered, "Don't..."

Swift looked right into her deep blue eyes, "Do you think that I'd think of you as anything besides wonderful?"

The Sorceress turned her head away, "We can't... we're not... I'm not..."

"I don't care."

"But I do!" She-Ra shouted and pushed past him. "It is... forbidden."

"Says who? My mate? My subjects? Who? Nobody cares what you are! Least of all me!"

For a moment the Sorceress stared at Swift. The she smiled gently at him. "Thank you, Swifty. Thank you for those words, but we can never be."

"Why? I do not care if you are human..." Swift looked at her. He was about to move towards her when she raised her hand making him stop in his tracks.

"Because I am the Sorceress, and my duty is to protect Castle Grayskull. A duty that I have put aside for far too long. It is time I resumed my duties before I do something... we do something we both will regret. It is time for me to go, Swifty. It is time for us to say goodbye. Something that we should have done before that awful, awful war."

"Goodbye?"

"Goodbye, Swifty."

"Wait!"

She-Ra began to fade away, her body becoming transparent. "Farewell. Until we meet again..."

"Wait. Wait! Please!"

The last thing Swift saw of her was that loving smile as the Sorceress vanished from sight. He stood there for a long time staring at the spot where she had been. He took a deep breath, snorted and shook his mane, then walked out the door.

The lights returned and the girls once again found themselves standing in the holo-chamber with mixed expressions. None of them knew what to say to what they had just seen. The sheer weight of it all seemed far too much for them to handle.

"The formation of the Elements of Harmony..." Twilight whispered, "Did you see?"

The two girls nodded too dumbfounded to speak.

"He loved her... and she loved him... why did she run away?" Applejack asked, "It ain't right! It shouldn't matter if they ain't the same kind..."

"Yeah, that was kinda lame..." Rainbow agreed with the farmer.

"Guys! Come quick! Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are coming!" Rarity's voice called from down the hall. They could see her silhouette against the red glow coming from the crystals.

"Okay, let's pause for a moment. Orko, I want you to meet the Princesses," Twilight said to the trollan.

"Oh boy! More company!" the trollan exclaimed and rushed on ahead of the girls.

Despite the somber mood from a moment before, they couldn't help but share a quick laugh as they chased after the ridiculous creature.

Author's Note:

Destrier is a type of war horse - perhaps the most famous kind
Percheron is a type of draft horse