• Published 2nd Sep 2015
  • 1,923 Views, 43 Comments

Trial of a Changeling - twilightsparkle3562



In this sequel to "Defender of Equestria," a Changeling General goes on trial in Canterlot for numerous war crimes, including kidnapping Cadence and Twilight, while Shining Armor's mentor and predecessor attempts to make amends with Celestia and Luna

  • ...
11
 43
 1,923

Lowering the Defenses

Author's Note:

Just a quick note regarding this chapter. I've moved "Summit in Canterlot," to chapter 3 and instead have chapter 2 focus on Cadence and Shining Armor. Please note that my writer's mojo has been out of whack for several days and this story may not be as good as my others. I will have it edited when it's completed. Thank you for your understanding.

TwilightSparkle3562

Chapter 2

"Lowering the Defenses"

Shining Armor darted out of the dungeons trying to not absorb what Kuwaga had attempted to throw at him. He knew that what the captive changeling said was not true and was nothing more than to shatter his confidence, just like he had attempted to do in their battle at the top of the frozen artic.

"You won't get me down, Kuwaga," thought Shining Armor as he ran out to the balcony. "I'll see to it that you will never harm another pony ever again, you monster. I am going to enjoy seeing your reaction when Celestia and Luna sentence you to death."

The Prince of the Crystal Empire took in another deep sigh as he tried to calm himself down. He was a Prince and co-leader of an empire after all and could not let his subjects see him in this condition. But before, he could take in another deep breath, he heard a harmonious voice right behind.

"Shining Armor, is everything all right?"

Gasping, Shining Armor turned to see his wife, Princess Cadence, standing right behind him with a slightly worried look upon her face. She had seen Shining Armor in distress before and thought this would be another repeat of when he had the nightmare.

"Cadence," gasped Shining Armor, turning around sharply. "It's only you. What are you doing here?"

"I heard you from all the way in my study," replied Cadence. "The sounds of your hoof beats were quite loud to tell you the truth."

"Sorry about that, Cadence," remarked Shining Armor as they walked back into the castle. "It's just that I was just down in the dungeons paying Kuwaga a visit."

Cadence took in an enormous gulp upon hearing the name of the Changeling that kidnapped her and Twilight for revenge. Still, she had been in worse situations before and tried to hide her fear from her husband.

"Why were you down there?" she asked. "Did you have a reason?"

"I want to vent some frustration at him, Cadence," explained Shining Armor, walking over to the throne. "I wanted to tell him that he will never harm us again and that I will make sure he would never see you again, even at the impending trial that is coming up."

Cadence was stunned to hear this coming from Shining Armor's mouth. She knew from growing up in Canterlot that certain ponies that were involved in certain crimes would be summoned to testify against the accused. In a sense, she knew that Shining Armor was trying to protect her, but in her mind, he was being overprotective of her.

"Shining Armor," she said, walking up to her throne and sitting down. "You know very well that I am going to testify against Kuwaga. Ever since we have been married, I've noticed you becoming more and more protective of me. But with each time I have faced danger, I've become more and more strong willed."

"That's not what I am trying to say to you, Cadence," cried Shining Armor. "I just don't want you to be put in harm's way anymore."

"If I don't testify, then Kuwaga will be free to attack us again," retorted Cadence.. "This is the only chance to keep him from harming us again, don't you understand that?"

Shining Armor let out an exasperated sigh and walked away from Cadence in a fit of frustration. Cadence could see the frustration in Shining Armor's eyes and walked over to him, trying to calmly get him to understand why she needed to do this.

"Look," she said calmly, placing a hoof around his neck. "I know you mean well, but this is something I have to do. It's not like I have been put in harm's way before, Shining Armor. You make it sound like Kuwaga must be punished without a trial."

"That's right, Cadence," replied Shining Armor, quietly. "When I was in the Royal Guard, any enemy of dangerous significance was dealt with without a trial. If we kept them alive, then they would still be a threat."

Cadence voice once again was slightly raised as the thought of killing was something that bothered her and her aunts greatly. As a young Pegasus, she had seen the killings of ponies in her village and vowed never to relieve experiences like that again.

"Listen to yourself, Shining Armor!" cried Cadence. "You are starting to sound like Lock Down, a pony who didn't care who stood in his way! We are not savages and you know it just as well as anypony who had ever been in the Royal Guard. General Kuwaga will be tried in a court of law and whether he ends up will be decided by Aunt Celestia and Aunt Luna. In order for them to decide, they will need my testimony as well as Twilight's!"

Feeling like he didn't want to fight anymore, Shining Armor sighed and knew that Cadence needed to testify, although it was his against his better judgment. He felt that killing Kuwaga without a trial was the proper thing to do, but it wasn't.

"It will be for the good of all of us, Shining Armor," said Cadence, calmly once again. "I know it is hard, but it's the only way. Besides, there will be other victims of his who would want to say their peace as well."

It was then that Shining Armor realized what he was saying. Cadence was right, there would be other ponies who would want to tell the court about what the Changelings under Kuwaga did to them as well.

"Very well, Cadence," sighed Shining Armor, feeling defeated. "I will let you and Twilight testify. You are right, it's good for the sake of Equestria and the ponies who inhabit it."

So, they went to bed that night with Shining Armor taking much longer to fall asleep. His mind was racing over the conversation that had taken place between them on this day. But, little did Shining Armor know that unbeknownst to Cadence, her aunts would also have harboring feelings about their nice testifying.