• Published 30th Aug 2015
  • 265 Views, 2 Comments

Dust to Diamonds - reiyo_oki



Going from something to nothing, then trying to rebuild can be a rough life experience for anypony. Midas Touch is learning that now, having just lost his business and home in Canterlot. He's starting anew in Ponyville. How will he fare?

  • ...
 2
 265

Chapter 1 – Leaving the Past Behind

Some ponies are meant to change the world with their special gifts; Some are just born lucky. Not me. My name is Midas Touch, and I’ve got to be the most unlucky pony in my family. While the rest of the ponies in my family are rich, successful upper-class ponies in Canterlot, I’m barely able to maintain a decent standard of living. It’s not that I’m lazy or anything, or even that I can’t do anything productive – In fact, I’m quite good at making things… The problem is that the things I make… Well, they have an aura of bad luck about them.

I suppose I should explain a bit better. I make jewelry – Some of the best in Equestria, fine gold and jewels comparable to those worn by the princesses. When I do, though, the ponies who buy my work always have these strange things happen to them. The last pony who bought something from me actually turned to solid gold. Don’t ask me how, I don’t know. She ended up being alright, but it scared everypony to death, and cost me a fortune in insurance claims. I had to sell my shop to pay for it!

Well, since I had to do that I’ve decided I might as well move. It’s not as if I can make any money here in Canterlot now. I’ve got a one-way ticket for the train to Ponyville, and I’m all packed up – At least, what I have left is. The moving ponies will be here tomorrow to send my things on ahead, and I’ll be taking a train at eleven thirty. Once I arrive in Ponyville, I have an appointment to meet somepony named Rarity about working in her boutique as an accessory specialist. It’s not what I’m best at, but it keeps me from causing any more problems by making jewelry that will get ponies hurt.

As I take one last look around my dismally-empty Canterlot studio, I realize just how lonely it’s been here these past few months. Maybe it’ll be nice to move to a new town, and make some new friends. At least in Ponyville people aren’t afraid of me because of the rumors… I ponder as I look around. With that thought, I head to my equally-empty bedroom and lay down on the stripped mattress to sleep. That’s one less thing to remember in the morning I suppose. One night without sheets won’t kill me.

I’m not entirely sure how things are going to turn out once I get to Ponyville tomorrow, but I suppose they’ll be better than they have been here. There’s not a whole lot I’ve got left here to even worry about anymore. With my shop gone, and my things headed for Ponyville in the morning, all I have left is a little last minute cleanup before I head out myself in the morning. Sweet Luna it’ll be nice to not be living out of boxes anymore, and not have to see the funny looks of people in town. As I drift off to sleep, my gaze lingers on the jewelry case I have among my travel bags. The only pieces I have left are in there, including the first one I ever made – It matches my cutie mark, too; A heart-shaped fire ruby brooch, rimmed in gold. It’s the one piece I’ve never been able to part with. Maybe one day I’ll find someone to give it to…

I wake up to the sound of pounding at my apartment door. “Great…” I mutter to myself as I get up and head to the door. “I’m coming, I’m coming!” As I open the door, the faces of two uniformed ponies greet me. One is a white earth pony stallion, the other is a cyan unicorn mare. “Can I help you…?” I ask stupidly as I look at them nonplussed.

“Well, you did hire us to move your things didn’t you?” The stallion asks, looking a bit confused.

His words hit me and I snap wide awake at last. “Oh! Yes, yes I did. Please, come on inside. There are only a couple of things you aren’t sending on ahead for me. My suitcase, and my jewelry case. I’ll be taking those with me.” I point out the objects in question as I lead them into the front room.

“Very good, sir; If you’ll just sign these forms for us then? They’re just your standard waivers for handling and teleportation. We’ve already received your payment at our office, so there’s nothing due at this time.” The mare levitates a clipboard in front of me to look over and sign as she speaks. She’s right, nothing untoward, just handling and teleportation forms, waivers for unforeseen magical disturbances causing damage to my property, the usual. I quickly sign my name and look back to the pair.

“Is that it? Anything else you need from me?” At the shake of their heads, I busy myself moving the suitcase and jewelry case to sit by my front door and clean up the last of the mess from packing. I toss the small bag of empty tape rolls and sticky label backers in the trash outside then return for my bags. The movers are already hard at work, arranging my things for easier teleportation. “Do you two need me to stay and lock up, or can you lock the door after you’re done?” I ask as I watch with some interest.

“We can lock up once we’re done here. Thank you for the consideration though, sir.” The stallion calls from within my bedroom, as he’s moving boxes into a neat cube for the mare to transport.

She nods in affirmation, giving me a small smile before turning back to her work. “You’re free to go ‘hon. We’ll have things nice and organized for you once you arrive. Go on, I’m sure you have things to do before you catch your train.” She winks at me as a sheen of magic envelops another neat stack of parcels bound for my new home.

In truth, I really don’t have anything much to do aside from dropping my key in the manager’s drop box, but I don’t mind leaving them to their work. I smile and slide the suitcase onto my back, then carefully pick up the jewelry case and head out the door, only pausing briefly to glance over my shoulder at the last view of my old home I’ll ever get.

Trotting down the stairs and out of the building, I stop briefly at the locked drop-box the manager keeps at the bottom floor for document and key drop-offs. I fish around briefly in my jewelry case for the key until I find it, then hesitate, staring at the little metal thing in my hoof. Well, I suppose I really am committed at this point. It sure seemed like I would be here forever, though… I think as I stare at the key. With a slightly jerky motion, I drop the key into the box and let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding. That’s that. No more dilly-dallying. I’m a grown stallion, I need to buck up and move on. I’ve got a train to catch! I try to reassure myself as I snap the jewelry case closed and pick it up, turning to head for the train station. In the distance I hear a clock chime. One, two, three… I trot calmly down the main street towards the train station, counting the tolls of the clock in my head until I hear the eleventh stroke. Then I gasp and start running. I can’t believe I’m that late! I can’t believe the movers were that late! Oh no! I skid around a corner and almost collide with a pair of mares out shopping, I glance at them and give them a brief apologetic look before dashing off again. Hopefully I can make it in time for my train!

I stumble into the train station just as the conductor is calling for passengers to board the train to Ponyville, and I all but collapse in front of him as I drop my jewelry case again to fumble for my ticket inside.

“You sure look out of breath, what did you do, run a marathon before coming?" The stallion laughs as I shakily hold out the ticket for him.

“No, but I might as well have. I ran all the way across town.” As I pant, he takes the ticket, glances at it briefly, then nods and punches before handing it back.

“Well, you can relax now. You’re here on time, and the train ride is three hours to Ponyville. If you need a drink, there’s a refreshment cart that will come down the cars after we’re underway. Do you need any help with your bags?” he asks as he eyes my shaky form, holding a suitcase on my back and jewelry case on my mouth. At a shake of my head he nods and gestures for me to come aboard. “Well, don’t hold up the other passengers too long or I’ll have to drag you aboard, and I don’t like doing that.”

With a chuckle, I nod and clamber my way up the steps onto the train car, looking down the aisle for an empty compartment. I spot one near the far end of the car and head that way, trying to catch my breath as I do. Stopping just outside the open door of the compartment I look in and see that it is indeed uninhabited. I make my way inside and set my jewelry case on the seat to my left, pushing the suitcase underneath the same one. As I hop up onto the seat, my legs give out and I collapse, unable to support myself due to the exhaustion of having run all the way across Canterlot. I don’t even notice as a pearly-white unicorn mare with a purple mane glances in then takes the seat opposite me without a word. A smaller filly with a lighter purple and pink mane following in her wake, sitting beside her elder on the seat and looking at the older mare questioningly. The last thing I hear as my eyes close and sleep overtakes me is the hushed voice of a clearly cultured mare saying something about staying quiet and not disturbing the poor stallion. Poor indeed… Is the last thought that crosses my mind, and then sleep takes me.

“He looks so tired.” A high-pitched voice says, trying and failing to keep a hushed tone. Despite the noise, I don’t rouse. “Who do you think he is, sister?”

“I don’t know, Sweetie, but we should let the poor dear sleep. He can only be heading to Ponyville on this train. I’m sure we’ll get to meet him eventually.” The melodious voice of the older mare responds. She glances shrewdly at the jewelry case, on which my forehooves and head are resting, using it as a pillow. “Though I think I might have an idea.” She mutters more softly.

The filly’s gaze follows her sister’s and she notices the jewelry case as well. “Is he-?!” she squeaks before hurriedly covering her mouth realizing the amount of noise she’s making and not wanting to wake me. She looks from the case back to her sister and opens her eyes in a questioning way.

“I suspect so, dear, but let’s let him sleep. We can talk to him if he is indeed the stallion I think he is.” With that, she pats the filly with a hoof and looks out the window, clearly intending the younger mare to be quiet and not disturb the other occupant of the compartment.

“Yes, Rarity…” The little filly grumbles. She’s clearly aggrieved, but used to such treatment as she obediently quiets down and watches the familiar passing terrain out the window of the train car.

Author's Note:

There we go. A brief introduction to Midas Touch, and his story. I may write a prequel chapter sometime in the future, explaining how all this came about, but for the time being, I'm going to move forward with his story rather than backwards.