• Published 25th Sep 2015
  • 4,225 Views, 49 Comments

Spiders and Magic IV: The Fall of Spider-Mane - Maximus_Reborn

  • ...
84
 49
 4,225

PreviousChapters Next
Fall of an Empire, Part IX

Chapter Twenty-Five "Fall of an Empire, Part IX"

Felicia stood by the window with a furrowed brow, gazing deeply as dark clouds hovered throughout the sky. Thunder rumbled, and rain began to fall, drenching the land. "The weather's getting bad out there," she said as she folded her legs. "That's never a good sign."

Peter winced sharply as Zecora rubbed an herbal mixture into his fur, specifically over his aching midsection. The mare removed most of the old bandages, tossing them into the garbage bin before attempting to clean many of the stallion's open wounds. In spite of Peter's accelerated healing factor, bolts of pain pulsated through the entirety of his body even after several hours had passed since his bout with Carnage. Trixie entered the main living room with a warm cloth in hoof before taking a seat next to the stallion. Peter shared a glance with the mare, forcing a chuckle as she shot him a glare.

However, Trixie's expression softened before she proceeded to wipe the dried blood from the stallion's forehead. "What am I going to do with you? We know what would happen if Twilight saw you like this."

Peter grinned while Trixie wrapped a clean bandage around his head and over the gash stretched under his horn. "So, does this mean no spongebath?" Trixie exhaled, tightening the bandage to the point that it nearly cut off the stallion's blood circulation to the brain. She followed with a swift slap to the back of Peter's bandaged shoulder. The stallion hissed and nearly jumped from his seat, only for Zecora to coolly place a hoof over his shoulder to keep him stationary. Peter blankly glared at Trixie from the corner of his eyes. "Your bedside mannersucks."

Trixie huffed, returning the stallion's glare with an exasperated expression. "So does your timing. How can you joke at a time like this? You're being held together by a thread, everypony's trying to kill you, and it doesn't even bother you? Unbelievable." The unicorn sharply turned on her hoof and stomped upstairs, her frustration evident with each step she took. "Youcan continue dancing with death atyourleisure. I refuse to waste my time worrying about you," she harshly declared before slamming the door behind her.

Sunset Shimmer entered the room before gently easing into a seat across the stallion's position. Stealing a glance at Trixie's closed bedroom door, she settled her gaze on Peter. "She's awfully prickly with you, isn't she? Judging from her actions and attitude, you'd think that she doesn't like you at all." She managed a smile. "It actually reminds me of how I acted towards you and Twilight back on Earth."

Peter sheepishly chuckled. "Trixie's always been like that. She's a bit rough around the edges, but don't let that fool you. She's actually a big softie deep down."

"Then you must understand the depth of her feelings," Luna whispered, limping into the living room from the kitchen. Sunset readied herself to join the princess, but the alicorn raised a hoof and shook her head, taking a seat in the nearest chair. Most of her fur had grown back from Electro's attack, but some internal injuries remained, specifically nerve damage. Her eyes softened as the corner of her lips curled into a smile. "We all feel the same way. These are troubling times, and you're making light of the situation in spite of your growing number of injuries." The alicorn exhaled before glancing to the side. "Then again, I've always admired your optimism and enthusiasm."

"Is that what you call it?" Peter grinned, wincing involuntarily.

Sunset Shimmer chuckled. "I think Twilight calls it something a bit more colorful."

Felicia scoffed, smirking. "Here I thought the little princess didn't have an edge to her."

Sunset paused, furrowing her brow as she settled her gaze on the stallion's countless wounds. "Hey, Miss Zecora? How's he looking?"

Wiping the sweat from her forehead with a hoof, Zecora exhaled. "Peter's countless battles and lack of sleep have added a great deal of stress. Right now, his healing factor is an absolute mess." The mare inhaled deeply before making her way across the room to where her herbs rested. "I promise I will do what I can, but Peter must rest for a lengthy span."

Peter shook his head. "So the only way I'll actually heal is if the bad guys let me have a timeout? With my luck, I won't be so fortunate." Thunder continued to rumble on the outside, sending small tremors through the walls of the Treebrary. The stallion huffed, clutching at his bandaged ribs. "With this nasty weather, maybe they'll give me a rain check today?"

Sunset Shimmer blankly stared at the stallion. "That was bad, even for you."

Luna nodded, frowning. "Regardless, all we can do at the moment is wait and pray for the best."

Felicia blinked, narrowing her gaze to a developing sight outside. Spread along the outside of the Treebrary, dozens of thestrals held a steely gaze at the home. Suddenly, the mare inhaled sharply and jumped away from the window before a spear jettisoned through, its head imbedding into the hardwood floor. "Wise up! We've got company outside. There's a lot of those bat ponies out there."

Trixie burst out of her room, her bewilderment evident by a widened gaze. "What is going on out here?!"

"We're under attack. Stay away from the windows," Felicia declared, slipping into her thief's attire.

Luna's eyes widened. "Thestrals? Oh, no."

Sunset leaped to the shattered window, using her magic to seal the opening. She inhaled sharply at the sight of the invaders' sheer numbers. "What are we supposed to do about all of them? Does anypony have a plan?"

Peter growled under his breath, wincing at the pulsating throbs coursing through his cranium. The stallion turned his gaze to the front door. "I don't think we have time for a plan." He reached for his costume, gingerly sliding the pair of tattered tights over his damaged frame. The stallion held a stern yet weary expression, never averting his line of sight from his allies. "Listen to me. No matter what happens, stay put."

"What are you going on about? We can't just—!" Trixie exclaimed, yelping as magic enveloped the door and ripped the framework from its hinges.

Harsh winds and heavy rains blew into the Treebrary's entrance, forcing everypony nearby to shield their eyes with a hoof. A cloaked individual casually walked into the abode, a coy smile forming on his crimson features. Luna's eyes widened at the sight as her mouth fell agape. Felicia leaped from the top of the stairs, diving with her legs fully extended for a wide kick. However, the individual scoffed, raising a glowing hand to conjure a barrier to deflect the mare's attack. A small shockwave generated and launched Felicia into the nearest bookshelf, causing the furniture to collapse over her body.

"Felicia!" Sunset Shimmer cried out, using her magic to lift the bookshelf away from the mare's frame. Black Cat shook the cobwebs from her head, glaring sharply at the individual while Sunset did the same. The fiery-maned mare snarled. "You've just made a big mistake!"

Luna stepped in front of both mares. "Sunset Shimmer! Felicia Hardy! Stand down!" The princess winced, standing firm as everypony shifted their collective gazes in her direction. The individual chuckled as Luna stepped by Peter's side, and she returned his confident gaze with a venomous glare. "Tirek. I thought somepony as vile as you would spend the last of their wretched days in the pits of Tartarus."

Peter tilted his head. "Wait. You know this guy?" he questioned, alternating his gaze between the cloaked figure and alicorn.

Luna nodded, pursing her lips. "Yes. He is a vile being that has attempted to take over Equestria before."

Peter groaned. "Oh, great.Anothermegalomaniac. As if my life isn't full of those already." The stallion placed a hoof over his side. "Welcome to the club. They're having jackets made."

Tirek chuckled under his breath. "Quite the character, I see. Now, I understand why Discord is so infuriatingly infatuated with you."

Luna scowled, gritting her teeth. "Striking a bargain? I can't say that I'm surprised. What do you want, Tirek? What doesDiscordwant?"

Tirek rubbed his hands together, holding a coy smile. "We share a common goal, and it's very simple. We want to see Equestria in a… new light. For too long, we have lived under the age ofyourrule. The winds of change are upon us, and it starts now… with you, Peter Parker." The thestrals outside closed their distance to the Treebrary, each armed and poised to attack, but Tirek raised his hand, in turn halting their advance. "We know you're weakened. As valiant and formidable as you are, you can't hope to slow all of my forces at once as well as protect your friends."

Luna's horn glowed, only for the magic to dissipate instantly. Sunset eyed the sight, attempting to use her own magic, but the result was the same, her powers dissolving. Both mares shared a look of befuddlement, and Tirek simply laughed, folding his arms. A being spiraled into existence behind the cloaked figure, taking form into a draconequus.

Discord nodded his head before raising a talon as energy emitted from it. "Now, now, now. We can't have you all teleporting away. You'll miss all the fun!" Energy glowed across the surface of the Treebrary's interior and exterior, acting as a makeshift barrier of sorts. Discord took a seat in midair, chuckling. "Carry on, Tirek."

"Good," Tirek murmured, nodding. "Peter Parker. You can save your allies. I simply ask that you join us outside." Felicia and Luna stepped forward, earning a sharp glare from Tirek. "Onlyyou, Peter. Should any of you think of interfering, we will unleash all of our forces on you… and this village."

Luna snarled. "You monster!"

Peter shook his head. "There's no need. I'll come outside. Will you keep your word? No harm comes to my friends or the village. Does that sound fair?"

Discord nodded before clapping his paw and talon together. Peter vanished from sight, materializing outside of the Treebrary. The pouring rain intensified, drenching the stallion and the surrounding forces. Ponies from within the village watched the spectacle from the safety of their homes as lightning struck.

Tirek smiled and turned around, leaving the door open. Felicia gritted her teeth before diving for the entrance, only to collide into the barrier. She struck the wall of energy many times, hissing with each attack. Sunset checked the window, attempting to open it, but a bolt of electricity struck her hoof, causing the mare to instinctively pull back. Zecora frowned, staring intently at the sight outside while seemingly hundreds of thestrals surrounded Peter.

Trixie paced in place, shaking her head frantically. "This can't be happening! There has to be something we can do! Peter's going to be killed!"

Discord smirked. "No need to worry, Miss Lulamoon. Reinforcements are on the way. They should make it in time… Maybe." The draconequus waved a paw dismissively before retaking his seat in midair. Black Cat lunged at him from behind, only for Discord to snake out of her grasp. Before the mare could react, magical chains wrapped around her body. The same happened to the others, with energy restraints locking Princess Luna, Sunset Shimmer, Zecora, and Trixie in place. Shifting their gazes in the direction of the outside, Discord eased into his imaginary seat. "Relax, ladies. The big show is about to start! And it'll be quite entertaining, I promise!"

Meanwhile, Peter stood, never averting his gaze from Tirek. "Well, you have me outside. What was your plan? I've been fighting you guys all week. I'd rather hear it from you before we keep going. This whole thing is just becoming monotonous."

"Monotonous? Perhaps, but every great plan requires time to grow into perfected fruition. We've recruited only the best from both worlds to serve a common goal. We will liberate Equestria and shape it into our image. Our time is now." Tirek chuckled, grinning as he raised his arms. The surrounding thestrals snarled, readying their weapons. "The world will watch you fall, and our regime will rise. It starts and ends with yourdeath, Peter Parker!" Discord waved his glowing talon, causing Tirek to vanish from sight and materialize at the top of the Treebrary. The centaur pointed at Peter. "Go, my army! Attack! This is the day that Spider-Manedies!"

A pack of thestrals attacked the stallion from every angle, forcing Peter to jump high into the air and launch a strand of webbing onto the rooftop of a house in the distance. Slingshotting himself from his position, he was immediately attacked by a swarm of armored ponies that lied in waiting. One of the winged creatures threw a punch, forcing Spider-Mane to duck underneath the blow and counter with a swift kick to the midsection. The force behind the attack sent the thestral hurtling over the edge of the roof, landing on a group of its cohorts in the process.

Peter swayed to the side to avoid another strike, but as he readied to counterattack, a bolt of pain rushed through his ribs, forcing him to stop instinctively. A thestral took advantage of the situation, slamming the side of his armored hoof against the side of Spider-Mane's face. Spinning to the side, Peter shot a strand of webbing onto his attacker's chestplate before yanking him across the air and into a nearby ally. As a trio of armored ponies neared their foe, Spider-Mane threw a straight punch followed by a spin kick. Each attack connected with a crack, rendering the thestrals unconscious.

Dozens of Tirek's forces advanced on the stallion, and Peter grimaced, running before leaping across the air onto another rooftop. The rain poured, drenching the land as the sky faded into darkness. A thestral jumped in front of Spider-Mane with a spear in hoof. As it lunged the tip of the weapon at its target, Peter flipped high overhead before throwing a stiff kick into the square of the armored pony's back. A flock of ten took flight, each wielding a spear in hoof as lightning struck behind their position. They all threw their weapons at once, each weapon soaring through the surrounding storm.

Spider-Mane flipped to the side, contorting his body to narrowly avoid the projectiles before jumping to ground level. A bolt of pain rushed through his side, causing the stallion to instinctively clutch at his midsection, and he crashed upon reaching floor, landing flat on his back. A thestral sped through an alleyway and pounced before he could react, pinning him down. It hissed venomously and bore its fangs, lunging forward with a bite.

Spider-Mane slid his hoof underneath the pony's jaw, using his strength to keep its teeth inches away from his face. A hulking thestral emerged from around the corner, its sheer size dwarfing those of its cohorts by triple. Peter's eyes widened at the sight, forcing the stallion to slide his legs underneath the armored pony over him before flipping it into the nearest wall with enough force to crack the stone surface.

The large thestral rushed towards Spider-Mane, forcing the stallion to hop over its head, but the armored stallion captured him by the leg with a hoof. His momentum ceased instantly before the hulking stallion slammed Peter into the ground, cracking the ground and imbedding his frame into the earth. It lifted Spider-Mane high over its head, glancing to the side momentarily. Peter lowered his hoof and managed to shoot a wad of webbing into the thestral's eyes.

The armored equine cried out before clutching at the sticky substance. Sliding behind his attacker, Peter strained as he lifted the larger pony over his head. Jolts of pain rushed through his ribs, leaving the stallion to instinctively wince while the muscles in his damaged body protested against his action. With a firm plant of a hoof, Spider-Mane slammed the thestral into the ground on the back of its head, shattering its metal helmet in the process.

The growing commotion garnered the attention of everypony in their homes, with some stepping outside to investigate. Most were shoved back inside by nearby thestrals, if not persuaded otherwise, but magical energies enveloped the rest, gravitating them into their respective abodes. Derpy slid her window drapes open, staring vividly at Peter while he fought off a pack of thestrals mere hoof lengths away outside. The mare attempted to open the window, but the same energies from earlier glowed over the glass, preventing it from moving in the slightest.

Discord raised a glowing talon and chuckled, his voice echoing throughout the entire village. "Now, now, now. This is Peter's show, everypony. We can't have the audience bursting in. Just sit back and enjoy!"

As his mane stuck fast to his face from the pouring rain, Peter shared a glance with Derpy after releasing hold of an unconscious thestral's collar. He placed a hoof against the window, managing a weak smile. Biting down on her lip, the mare mirrored the stallion's actions, inhaling sharply as Peter was forced to gallop away with dozens of thestrals pursuing him. Sprinting through the alleyways, scaling the walls, and leaping across the rooftops, the flock chased Spider-Mane until he skidded to a halt in front of the Treebrary.

Tirek held a wicked smile, standing unwavered as dozens of armored ponies surrounded the lone stallion from every conceivable angle. Peter's harsh breathing resembled the sound of glass scratching against a rough surface, but he stood firm, finding the strength to lower into a defensive stance. Tirek merely motioned his hand, prompting the thestral forces to attack. Each hissed and roared, lunging at their target in unison.

The center of Peter's mind pulsated and sent bolts of pain rushing through his entire cranium before ceasing entirely, as if never happening to begin with. His whole physical being was wrought with pain and anguish, culminated from many battles in such a short span of time. He grew numb to the world, physically and mentally before yielding to the faint voice that called out to him. With each attack Peter dodged from a member of the surrounding crowd, he countered with a thunderous blow matching the potency of a lightning strike. Spider-Mane fought wave after wave, paying no mind to his injuries or the odds stacked against him.

Peter could only listen to the voice that fueled his nightmares and stress, using that fear and rage for guidance. Much like that day when he fought Blueblood and Venom, the voice acted as a catalyst to fight and simply survive. An image of future Pinkamena, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Trixie flashed across the confines of his mind before Peter woke from his self-induced trance. Shattered plates of armor lay scattered, accompanied by many broken yet breathing thestrals.

The passing moments were a blur, lost to Peter as he had no recollection of what he had done. The surrounding forces stared at Spider-Mane with trepidation and awe, unable to free their slitted gazes from the heavily damaged ponies left in the lone stallion's wake. Peter shook his head and blinked before the muscles in his body finally gave in, yielding to a week's worth of exhaustion. He collapsed to a kneeling position, taking in deep, winded breaths. In spite of the opening, the thestrals kept their distance and eyed the stallion with widened gazes.

Tirek watched with a furrowed brow. "What is going on? Why are you all stopping? Attack!"

The thestrals glanced at Tirek, but remained stationary. Discord levitated from his seat and faded from sight, materializing into existence next to his cohort. "Such tenacity! Such violence! Such…rage!" the draconequus exclaimed in falsetto, clenching his paw and talon tightly. He paused before nodding. "I imagine the thestrals are merely exercising common sense. I'd rather not waste any time." Discord's fanged smile widened. "Let's get onto the main event!"

As the rain continued to fall, the sound of cackling laughter echoed across the reaches of the skies. Peter's ears perked at the all too familiar sound before he lifted his gaze skyward, locating the source. The Green Goblin flew towards Ponyville with numerous thestrals following closely behind. The rain ceased instantly after Discord waved a glowing paw.

That following moment, lightning spiraled throughout the sky, materializing into an equine-shaped being. Electro took shape as more thestrals flew in from above the clouds to follow his lead. A high-pitched, distorted shriek blared from the other side of the village, causing Peter to avert his gaze in its direction. Carnage marched towards the Treebrary with dozens of armed ponies following him.

The earth shook with each step they took, and the sound of clinking armor filled the air. Before Peter could hope to respond, a trio of screams echoed from the opposite end of the village, generating strong winds in the process. The Dazzlings trotted into Ponyville, each holding a different tune, and they were flanked by a swarm of thestrals as well. Dread filled the confines of Peter's mind and heart as the weight of the reality of the situation struck, like a meteor crashing to the earth.

The wounded thestrals that were able to dragged themselves off the field while their cohorts pulled those that were unconscious away from Spider-Mane. Eventually, the Green Goblin, Electro, Carnage, and the Dazzlings vanished from sight, allowing their respective groups of armored ponies to fall into position along with the others surrounding the lone stallion. Suddenly, all six individuals materialized into existence by Tirek's side. An entire army had filled the village, practically outnumbering Peter a thousand to one.

Tirek simply grinned, holding out his arms to the side. "You've met everypony here already, but allow me to introduce you to the Sinister Six."

Sunset's eyes widened at the sight while her mouth fell agape. "Oh, no…"

Luna shared Sunset's expression, unable to hide her shock and awe, but the alicorn sobered, narrowing her gaze on the draconequus hovering above her position. "Now it makes sense. You planned this from the very start." Discord arched a brow as Luna strained to straightened herself, in spite of her tightening magical restraints. "It was a calculated attack. You wanted to weaken Peter and divide the numbers of his support cast. Our injuries and Peter's arduous battles… You did all ofthatforthis!"

Discord nodded. "That's quite the astute deduction coming from you. You're mostly right. However, as always, you haven't quite grasped the bigger picture just yet." He chuckled, glancing off to the side as if noticing something. "The best part is just about to start."

Trixie snarled, struggling in place. "What are you talking about?!"

Before anypony could advance towards the stallion, a small burst of energy ignited mere hoof-lengths away from his side. The entire village grew mute, so silent that a pin drop could have been heard until a low roar of thunder rumbled throughout the skies. Everypony stared at the six ponies standing by Spider-Mane's side with widened gazes with the exception of the Sinister Six, Discord, and Tirek. Each mare wore a gem around their neck, its shape resembling their cutie marks respectively while the alicorn at the center wore a crown with a star symbol.

Electro held a stern glare as he hovered above the ground while the Green Goblin gritted his teeth, holding a hoof over the center of his scarred chest. Carnage merely cackled maniacally, paying the alicorn no real mind, and Aria furrowed her brow, holding a blank yet hesitant gaze. Adagio joined Tirek in smiling devilishly at the sight of the alicorn, but Sonata could only lower her eyes shamefully before slamming them shut. Discord smiled warmly, glancing skyward once a beacon of light enveloped the pair.

With the luminous energies, Celestia slowly descended from the sky with a heavy glare, like an angel lowering from the heavens. Once the sun princess landed in front of Twilight, a bright pink energy glowed in the immediate vicinity before erupting in a flash of light. Both Shining Armor and Cadance stepped from the energy, sharing a nod with Twilight as the surrounding magic dissipated. Lastly, a circle of emerald fire stretched out and emerged from the ground next to Peter. Suddenly, Chrysalis rose from the flames and stepped out, holding her icy glare at the crowd of thestrals.

Peter took in slow and winded breaths, unable to lift himself from the ground. "Why are you here?" he questioned, his voice dry. "You have to run."

Twilight placed a hoof over the stallion's shoulder as she held a concerned expression, lowering by his side. "We're helping you. It's too dangerous for you to do this on your own."

"We got your back, sugarcube. Just leave this to us," Applejack reassured, nodding before straightening the jewel around her neck while the others lined in a straight formation.

Shining Armor huffed. "You've carried the entire load by yourself until now. It's high time we did our part."

"Where are the others?" Cadance questioned, shifting her gaze about before settling them on the Treebrary. Her blue irises vanished behind a bright light momentarily. "Everypony is inside. I can sense Auntie Luna inside as well."

Celestia narrowed her glare on the cloaked individual standing in front of Twilight's home, and she frowned as Discord spiraled into existence mere hoof-lengths from his side. "I knewyouwere here, Discord, but I didn't think you would be foolish enough to enlist Tirek to join your misbegotten cause."

"Ah, Princess Celestia. As close-minded as ever," Discord chuckled, pulling at the fur on his chin with a talon. "Look around you. This has been beneficial for all of us! Fresh chaos and a change! Now, the entire world will witness the fall of an empire and the rise of a new age." The draconequus arrogantly stepped in front of the Sinister Six and Tirek, poking his chest out. "Go on! Use the Elements of Harmony! Do your absolute worst!"

Rainbow Dash smirked, flapping her wings eagerly. "You'resotoast!"

Twilight's entire body emitted a bright light before hovering from the ground, and the same effect took hold of the other wielders of the Elements of Harmony. Each mystical jewel generated energy, sending vibrational waves rushing through the earth. However, even as the magical energies spiraled into the light of the building attack, Discord and his cohorts remained unnerved, some even laughing in the process. A familiar sensation vexed Peter as outside voices rushed into his mind. Much like he did inadvertently to Starlight Glimmer, the stallion could hear the thoughts of those around him, but perhaps instinctively, Discord's could be heard above the rest.

As the earth tore apart under his hooves, Peter's eyes widened at what was about to transpire. A pack of thick, thorny vines erupted from the earth, ripping the land asunder. Each towered over Ponyville and blacked out the light from the sky. Their shadows spread over everything under their wake. Each vine hissed, slithering towards somepony within in the circle. More rose from the ground, destroying the foundation of the village.

"Welcome to a new age, everypony!" Discord exclaimed, holding a wide fanged smile. "We set a trap, and you sprang itgloriously!"

Faster than anypony could react, a pair of the vines lashed out in the midst of the wielders of the Elements of Harmony before they could unleash their charged energy. One wrapped around Rarity's waist, pulling the mare away from the group while another did the same with Pinkie Pie. The magical energies for the Harmony Beam dissipated instantly, causing the remaining wielders to lose their places in midair. Cadance fired several bolts of magic into the root of those two specific vines, but the energy seeped into the plant's surface, dissolving harmlessly.

A trio of vines rushed out, capturing Fluttershy, Applejack, and Cadance into their vice-like holds. Shining Armor aimed his glowing horn at the vine that held his captured wife, but another of the trailing plants struck the stallion, knocking him across the ground before slithering around his waist. Rainbow Dash took flight, maneuvering out of each vine's reach. She quickly reached the one holding Fluttershy captive, kicking away at the plant's thick hide.

As the pegasus attempted to pry her friend free soon afterward, a vine whipped around her leg. Rainbow Dash again took flight, but the trailing plant stretched out, holding the mare in place long enough for one of the larger thorned vines to capture her. Chrysalis snarled, blasting away at the pack of vines that approached her. One lunged out, wrapping around the changeling queen's waist before hoisting her slender frame high into the air.

Peter could only watch as his friends struggled helplessly, captured like flies in a net. He glanced to the side, furrowing a brow as the vines ignored his presence entirely and lunged at the only two ponies that remained. Twilight gritted her teeth, firing a bolt of magic at a vine, but the energy dissipated before it reached its target. She attempted to move, but the strength in her legs faded as her previous injuries resurfaced.

The world slowed as Twilight slammed her eyes shut, waiting for the inevitable blow. Inhaling sharply, Peter used what strength was left in his body and leaped into the air, scooping the mare into his hooves. The vines struck the earth where the two ponies previously stood. As Peter lowered into a defensive stance with his wife in his hooves, the trailing plants roared while towering over the trapped pair.

Before the vines could advance, Discord smiled and waved a glowing paw. "Since I like you, Peter, I'll do you a favor."

Suddenly, Twilight vanished from sight and materialized within the walls of the Treebrary. The magical restraints holding the others dissolved. Trixie forced herself to a standing position, quickly embracing the alicorn. Felicia growled and rushed towards the door, only for it to close on its own. Sunset and Luna hurried to the windows, exhaling upon realizing that the magical barrier keeping them imprisoned within the Treebrary was still intact.

Zecora closed her eyes, lowering to a kneeling stance. She held a soft gaze outside, never averting her sight from Peter. "It's time…"

"How selfish of you," Tirek muttered, pointing behind Peter. "You were so focused on your wife that you left Celestia and the others."

Peter turned, his complexion paling as he stared at his comrades. Princess Celestia hung above the others, a pair of vines snaked around her neck and waist. He collapsed to a kneeling position. "Oh, God. No..."

Twilight's eyes widened. "What's going on?! I thought I suppressed the vines!"

Discord smiled. "Oh, but you did. However, my Plunder Vines feed off of magic. When you suppressed them, you merely gave them a boost. Now, with the power of the world's most powerful magic users in our grasp, my Plunder Vines will beall-powerful!" The draconequus shared a glance with his cloaked cohort, taking a step back. "I made a small alteration to my Plunder Vines for my dear friend, Tirek. It's time to show our friends the best part. Take it away!Literally!"

Tirek nodded and removed his cloak, revealing a frail and feeble form. The centaur held his arms out and laughed maniacally. Magical energy escaped from the vines and everypony ensnared in their vice-like grip, floating into the atmosphere before spiraling directly into a orb hovering over Tirek's head. The color from their bodies faded, morphing to a pale shade of grey. Lightning struck as Tirek's frail body grew in size and the wrinkles faded from his brightening crimson skin. His muscles swelled, sending tremors through the earth with each growth spurt.

Peter shook his head, forcing himself upright before he sprinted towards Tirek. "No! Stop!"

Suddenly, Electro took flight, unleashing several lightning bolts from his horn. Peter stopped in his tracks, flipping backwards to avoid the projectiles, but he collapsed upon landing, instinctively clutching at his damaged ribs. The rest of Sinister Six charged out, rushing Spider-Mane from every angle. Carnage was the first to reach the stallion, erupting through the dust cloud with razor-sharp claws taking shape over his hooves before taking a wild slash. The blow was clean, delivered across the chest. Blood flew from the gashes, causing Peter to stagger back.

Adagio vanished from sight, materializing directly behind the stallion. She inhaled deeply before shrieking at the top of her lungs. A vibrational wave engulfed Peter, each forceful blow shattering his bones. A shockwave erupted, launching Spider-Mane high into the air. Green Goblin cackled wildly as he flew towards Peter with his hoof reared back, slamming it directly into his opponent's midsection.

A large, unsettling crack echoed throughout the sky before the blow sent Spider-Mane into a pinwheel. Electro followed by firing a concentrated shot of lightning into the stallion and sent him plummeting to the earth at a deadly speed, generating a dust cloud upon impact. Aria watched with a hesitant gaze as Peter climbed from the crater he created. The siren sighed deeply before humming a low melody, causing magical chains to materialize around the stallion's limbs.

Sonata opened her mouth, but no song escaped, only a choked sob. She could only shake her head regretfully. However, Adagio shoved her to the side, unleashing a high-pitched melody. Vibrational waves roared, slamming into Peter repeatedly. The earth shattered from the force, disintegrating into pebbles as the stallion collapsed. Electro joined from above, unleashing trails of lightning onto Spider-Mane's back. His body shook violently, attempting to withstand both assaults, but Peter could only succumb to his pain as his flesh ripped, causing him to release a blood-filled scream.

Twilight watched, slamming her hooves into the window. "Stop!" The attacks continued, with the earth burning under Peter's form. Everypony could only look away, unable to witness the atrocity before them, but Twilight couldn't bring herself do so, staring at the spectacle with a teary gaze. She gritted her teeth as fresh tears poured down her cheeks. Her heart was breaking. Twilight burst into a fierce sob. "I saidstop!"

The alicorn cried out to her husband, screaming his name at the top of her lungs. When he didn't acknowledge her, she repeated her cry. Again, only Spider-Mane's harsh, painful, soul-breaking roars answered her. Twilight's sobs escalated until she was screaming so loud and long, her voice quieted of its own accord. Trixie consoled the mare before pulling her into a warm embrace. The Green Goblin's wicked laughter was heard above it all. Norman stole a glance at Twilight before dropping a bomb onto Peter.

The small orange orb bounced off the ground and was inches from the stallion's face before an explosion erupted. A violent shockwave burst out as flames ignited and engulfed everything in the vicinity. Peter's body was launched from the blast, lifelessly skidding to a halt mere hoof-lengths away. Twilight's hoof trembled against the window before the mare fell to the side, sobbing. The Sinister Six gathered around Spider-Mane's charred, bloody, and broken form, with Carnage rearing his claws back to deliver the killing blow.

"Halt," Tirek gruffly stated, causing the symbiote-driven equine to stop. The centaur's transformation had finished. His grey hair had grown in length, both on his head and chin, but that paled to other changes, like the dramatic change in lengths of the centaur's horns. Tirek clenched his fists, generating a small shockwave potent enough to crack the earth under his hooves. The Sinister Six watched with mouths agape at the giant, as he stood practically three times their current sizes. The centaur's black and yellow eyes shifted to Peter's broken form before he frowned. "Stand aside. He'smine."

The Dazzlings did as they were instructed, stepping to the side. Electro mirrored their actions, vanishing from sight in sparks before materializing back into existence at the top of the nearest roof. Carnage was slow to respond, eventually sheathing his body-made weapons. The symbiote eventually stepped to the side, shifting his blank gaze in Discord's direction. Upon receiving a knowing smile from the draconequus, Carnage's snake-like tongue slithered across his demented smile. However, the Green Goblin did not budge, shifting his glare between Peter's broken form and Tirek.

The centaur stomped towards Osborn, tightening both of his fists while glaring down at the pegasus. "I said… standaside."

With a harsh scoff, the Green Goblin yielded, folding his hooves before taking flight. "Fine. Just don't forget our deal."

Tirek managed a smile, chuckling lowly. "Do not worry, Norman. In the end, we all will benefit, so long as the world bears witness." The centaur walked over until he stood directly over Peter's body. He reached down, lifting the stallion with a single hand effortlessly. Spider-Mane limply hung in Tirek's grasp, his usually bright hazel eyes a pale form of glossy grey. His costume was in shreds, burned and tattered beyond recognition. Peter's blood leaked down Tirek's arm, like water from a faucet. The centaur grinned. "Behold, Equestria. The princesses have fallen, the Elements of Harmony are useless, and now, your precious hero is broken. Watch, as I absorb what little is left of his magic!"

Particles of energy spiraled from the atmosphere, taking shape into a sphere between his horns. Tirek stared intently at Peter, narrowing his gaze, but his eyes widened as the surrounding magic dissipated, breaking apart instantly. A long silence filled the air, lasting as thunder rumbled through the clouds. The centaur chuckled lowly, soon erupting into laughter.

"What's this? Equestria's great knight has no magic to steal," Tirek stated, releasing his hold on the stallion. As Peter limply fell back to the ground in a heap, the centaur folded his massive arms and scoffed. "In spite of his great skill, the great knight is nothing more than a cripple of a unicorn. Disgraceful."

Tirek lowered his body, slamming his fists repeatedly into Peter's form. Everypony within the Treebrary and Ponyville shielded their eyes, wincing for every strike dealt. Aria folded her hooves and glanced to the side, averting her gaze away from the sight. The earth cracked with each blow, and tremors shook the village as a crater spread under the stallion's form. Tirek lifted Peter's bloodied form and tossed it to the side, leaving him to skid to a lifeless halt in front of the Treebrary. Electrical currents sparked between his horn while magical energy spiraled into a large orb over the centaur's head.

"This is the beginning of a new age, and it starts with the end of the old. Bear witness, Equestria! Watch as I destroy a broken dynasty!" Tirek roared, aiming his energy at the prone stallion.

Suddenly, a large being leapt over many of the buildings in Ponyville, landing directly behind the centaur. Ursa swung her paw, only for Tirek to effortlessly block the attack by simply raising his arm. He turned as the energy spiraling around his horns dissolved, throwing his palm against the cub. A shockwave erupted before the force of the blow sent Ursa careening to the outside of the village and into the Whitetail Woods. Tirek huffed at the inconvenience before returning his cold gaze to his original target. However, he paused upon spotting a particular sight, of a filly standing between him and Spider-Mane. She stood defiant, pursing her lips while staring up at the colossal creature.

Twilight's eyes shot open as her heart stopped. "By the stars…Mayday!"

Tirek huffed, furrowing his brow at the tiny sight. "Ah. If it isn't the child of Peter Parker and Twilight Sparkle." He waved his hand dismissively. "Be gone, pest."

Luna shook her head bleakly, staring at the filly with a widened gaze. "Please, child. Just run."

Mayday gritted her teeth and threw her body over Peter's, glaring intently at the centaur as she acted as a living shield. "No way! I'm not going to let you hurt my Daddy!"

Tirek merely chuckled, nodding as energy spiraled into a sphere between his horns. "You're very brave, little one. Very well. I'll grant you and your father mercy with a quick death."

Mayday braced herself for the worst, burying her face into her father's chest. Twilight screamed at the top of her lungs, becoming inconsolable as the life of her daughter and husband were about to come to a tragic end. Sonata pursed her lips, frowning at the sight. Her thoughts ran rampant, screaming. Everything that was sacrificed led to this moment, for better or worse.

Her friends and family were gone due to the negligence of Princess Celestia, but a friend that had only been kind and earnest to her was about to pay a heavy price. Adagio's words echoed throughout the confines of her mind, reminding the siren of the end goal. However, Sonata could no longer listen to her friend's words, finally heeding to what her heart demanded.

"Hold it!" Sonata cried out, trotting towards Mayday and Peter.

Aria's eyes widened. "What?! Sonata?! Don't—!" As she readied to pursue her friend, Adagio grabbed Aria from behind, maintaining a tight hold around her waist. They watched as Tirek stared down Sonata, with the siren standing over Mayday and Peter protectively. Aria struggled. "Let me go, Adagio!"

Adagio shook her head. "You'll only make thisworsethan it already is! Stay back!"

Tirek frowned at Sonata, never releasing his charged energy. "What do you think you're doing?"

Sonata stole a glance at Mayday, her gaze softening. "I'm doing what's right. I can't do this anymore. It's hard enough that I have to hurt a friend, but I refuse to hurt achild!" Mayday peeked up, managing to give the siren a small smile. Sonata bit down on her lip. "If this is what it takes for us to live out in the open, then I don't want to be a part of it anymore. There's been too much violence already."

"And this is your final decision?" Tirek questioned, raising an eyebrow and earning a small nod from Sonata. The centaur chuckled, clenching his fists. "Then… you shall die with them!"

A gust of wind erupted, lifting Sonata, Mayday, and Peter from the ground. They were spiraled about before being jettisoned into the Treebrary through the opened door. Everypony landed roughly, unable to react as magical energies slammed the door shut. Mayday forced herself up, sharing an embrace with Trixie before doing the same with her mother. Zecora and Luna raced to Peter's side, with the zebra placing a hoof underneath the stallion's muzzle. Felicia stared intently at Sonata with a low glare, letting out a defeated sigh once Sunset placed a hoof over the siren's shoulder.

Twilight knelt by Peter's side, unable to free her gaze from his broken body. She took his hoof into her own, sobbing while brushing it against her cheek. "Why? Why did it have to come to this?!" Mayday sniffled, resting her head against Peter's chest. Twilight reached out and placed her free hoof over the filly's head, brushing her mane affectionately. "It's okay. It… it'll be over soon."

Back outside, Tirek roared triumphantly, holding the energy orb high over his head. "Take heed, Equestria! This is what will happen toallwho defy us!"

In that moment, something inside Aria snapped. The siren desperately tried to break free from her fellow cohorts grasp. "Sonata…!" she shrieked at the top of her lungs, striking wildly at Adagio in effort to free herself.

Adagio growled in response to the blows, further tightening her grip on the other mare. "She's made her choice, Aria. There'snothingwe can do now! I amnotgoing to losebothof my friends today!"

Tremors rushed through the ground, splitting the earth. Tirek unleashed the orb, sending it into the Treebrary, and the energy detonated upon impact, triggering a chain of explosions. The interior erupted into flames, triggering a second explosion of tremendous force. Chunks of wood and debris scattered to the winds in all directions with smoke rising from the burning husk that was once a home.

Those held captive in the vines could only watch in horror, most succumbing to tears. Discord folded his arms, furrowing his brow with a frown as he eyed the rising flames. Aria paled, frozen in complete shock before slowly and shakily collapsing to the ground. Turning her head away, Adagio bit her lip hard, a small trail of tears slowly escaping the corners of her eyes.

Tirek walked away from the flames, grinning as the Green Goblin, Electro, and Carnage whooped victoriously as the Treebrary crumbled under the fires of torment. "United we stand, divided they fall!"

To be continued...

PreviousChapters Next