• Published 28th Aug 2015
  • 4,063 Views, 42 Comments

Utter - Regina Wright



One's childhood never escapes you when magic and a certain motherly princess enters the picture.

  • ...
7
 42
 4,063

When Water Withers

Mark yawned. Temp work sucked and he couldn't have guessed that today's late night shift would mean working a literal graveyard. They gave him a flashlight, a policeman's baton and told him to watch out for punks. He was getting more of a fight from keeping his eyes open than from anything that crept in the dark.

His last three pills rattled in his pocket, swaying in tune with his rocking of the chair.

Muddy boots sat on the desk and he yawned some more, thinking about the other guy that was supposed to working this job with him. Stan something? Whatever. It's been twenty minutes. Almost Mark's turn to start patrolling his side of the massive park. The skinny shack held strong against the summer downpour, rain cascading down the shingled roof.

Mark closed his eyes and he began to dream.


“Why do you like the rain so much?”

The little boy stood on his tiptoes and on the stack of books he stole from the bookshelves, looking out the window and down to the wet gardens below. The rain went rat-tat-tat, falling like shooting stars to splatter on the grass and green. The boy thought of smashing his face against the glass, getting closer to the water. To be come a rat-tat-tat. Swift and right. Not slow and wrong. But it would've been rude and he didn't want to get on her nerves. The room wasn't his. None of this place was his.

And the only thing that was wouldn't stop staring back at him.

He tried to ignore his reflection. The scrawny, sun-deprived boy with the jagged scar on his nose stretching from cheek to cheek. It was easier to do when it rained. When the water poured and blocked out the sounds of his own thoughts. The boy wasn't ugly but the child remembered a time where he wouldn't even thought about being not ugly. Only dummies thought about it.

He didn't want to answer Celestia.

The rain poured and poured and he bunched his shoulders together.

Why did she have to ask anyway?

He wiggled his nose and proclaimed, “Dunno.”

“Really?”

The boy pulled on his T-shirt, glancing down at the stone floor. She never rushed him to answer. She was nice like that. “You ask weird questions.” He said after a while. It was a question, a statement and a warning. He meant a lot of things but sometimes, he wished he didn't mean anything at all.

“I'm not upset anymore so you can go away- Hey! Put me down!” Teeth on the back of his shirt lifted him up and sat him on her fluffy bed that was bigger than the one at his house. The one his parents had all to themselves. The boy crossed his hands and pouted. “I was watching that.”

“It's okay to be upset, you know.” The lady said. She looked like a horse and did stuff like a horse but she talked like the people on tv. The really smart people. The boy liked her despite her being a pretty princess but all the things he liked always got taken away. His hands weren't strong enough... “My ponies tell me that you won't take any food when it rains. Aren't you hungry?”

The boy flopped over, turning from Celestia. “They should mind their business.” His eyes went to his hands and the old scars there. Sometimes, his hands still felt sticky. Bloody. An image of the long dark flickered into his mind before he blinked it away. It was still raining and today, he wouldn't think so hard. “I wasn't hungry when you found me.” He sniffed, wiping with his wrist his nose. If he rubbed it too hard, it starts to bleed.

She settled in next to him, pulling him close with her wing. The boy turned over and patted her, stubby fingers moving through the fur and tufts of feathers that grew along her side. She was weird. Just like him. He hugged her, feeling her heart through her body. It went ba-dump, ba-dump. His heart went baa-dump, baa-dump. Peaceful like the rain, faster than the darkness in the ground.

“I'm not hungry.”

His belly growled.

“It's okay if you're not.” She said softly. “But promise you will eat for me. If you stop eating, I'll stop eating too. Then all of the chefs in the castle will get mad at us. They'll say if we won't eat, they'll make us eat. Then they will make sorts of cakes and creams and puddings and force us to eat every sweet bite until we're sick to our stomachs.”

“That sounds awesome. Let's do that!”

“But if we eat too much then the sweets will start to taste the same and bland. They'll take the joy of desserts from us. Soon, only mildew and spinach and brussels spouts will taste yummy.”

“Yuck. I don't want that.”

Celestia nuzzled his red hair, brushing the uneven strands aside. The boy closed his eyes, basking in her presence.

“I'm still not upset.” He said to the blanket, Celestia still in his hair. She was so weird. “But I'm a little hungry. Can I get some cake if I eat all my vegetables?”

“Of course.”

Celestia kissed his forehead.

“Eww, cooties.”


Mark opened his eyes, the night sky turning blue as the long rain ended in a half-hearted drizzle. Morning was approaching and Stan hadn't woke him up. He rubbed his eyes and stood up, yawning. Then he patted his pants and pulled out his bottle. It was empty.

The man stared at the bottle, opened it and stared inside. It was still empty.

“What the fuck?” He said, stepping outside. “Stan?”

A dark forest spread out before him, a half hidden trail of stone and glass leading to the gaping maw of the cave. Children walked around him in pairs of two. Parents and teachers following each group of twenty. Something bumped into his leg. A shrimp of a kid with bright red hair.

“You did it.” The little boy said. “You killed her.”

“I didn't do anything! I'm not taking this shit from nobody and that includes you. Stay fuck out of my head and my dreams.” Mark snapped, snatching the little punk by his collar. “None of this is real.”

“Then go in.” The boy faded from his hand, slipping away as dark mist. “Kill me.”

Mark glanced at the cave and the people wandering in, the old wounds on his hands ached. He turned away and walked, ignoring the sounds of the cave entrance's falling in. The shouts and screams of everyone else. He patted his slacks for the bottle again, shaking for pills.

He didn't hear anything but he didn't remember taking them so he brought it to his lips and took all three. Something went down his throat. It might have been guilt. It might have been shame.

The doctors couldn't explain how he came back after the cave had been evacuated. The bodies counted. The survivors saved. He came back twenty years to the same day as an eight year old, only two years older.

The man sat on ground, waiting for the drugs to work. Stan found him later with a search party, sleeping soundly on a grave.