• Published 28th Aug 2015
  • 1,195 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing In The Shadows - Bluecatcinema



Echo and Sunset take a trip to investigate a troublemaking band of uniquely-powered ponies.

  • ...
4
 69
 1,195

The Vengeful One(s)

After Nero's death, the pack celebrated their victory in the main chamber.

"We did it!" Wave whooped.

"What do you mean 'we'?" Nano frowned. "Echo, Artorias and Echo's dad did all the heavy lifting."

"Hey, it was just a figure of speech." Wave frowned. "'Sides, we took out all those soldiers and the Griffon, didn't we? That deserves some props."

"I'm just glad it's finally over." Moana sighed.

"That it is, my dear." Willow nodded. "But what a mess we have to clean up."

"Speaking of cleaning up, I think I'll check our chambers, make sure none of them were damaged by all the structural trouble." Nano declared.

"Do as you will, my friend." Aether nodded. "Weathering the storm is sometimes easier than dealing with the aftermath."

"As long as everypony made it through okay, I'd say we'll be just fine." Elatha smiled.

"My thoughts exactly." Sunset smiled.

Nano departed from the main chamber.

"Can I hold Arcane, Sunset?" Snow asked. "Pretty please? I'll be super careful!"

"Well..." Sunset mulled it over.

"Don't worry about the claws!" Snow urged. "They'll just help me carry him better!"

"...Okay." Susnet smiled. "Here you go."

Sunset lowered Arcane into Snow's waiting grasp.

"Hi, Arcane." Snow smiled. "Aren't you a cutie? Yes, you are!"

Snow gently ran a claw over Arcane's stomach, causing him to giggle.

"I think he likes me..." Snow grinned.

"What's not to like?" Elatha placed a hoof on Snow's shoulder.

Arcane placed his hoof on one of Snow's claws. Just as it was with Echo, the filly suddenly see her entire life flash past at once.

"...Whoa." He blinked. "That was kinda weird... Ah, well." She continued cuddling Arcane. "Who cares, when there's a cutie like you around?"

Aether cast an unsettling glance Snow's way, then stepped forward.

"Perhaps I can take the foals over to the kitchen, where they can get better acquainted?" He suggested.

"Okay, I guess." Sunset nodded.

"Thanks, old friend." Elatha smiled.

"My pleasure." Aether grinned. "Come along, children."

"Coming!" Snow followed Aether out.

"Well done out there." Echo told Artorias.

"It was a team effort." Artorias smiled. "We all did our part. You, me, your father..."

"Yeah..." Echo murmured, "We did good..."

"Is something the matter, son?" Deathgaze frowned.

"It's... it's nothing..." Echo shook his head, "I just..." He gazed at his father sadly. "Just where were you all this time?

"I told you, I was out-" Deathgaze began.

"I know that part." Echo interrupted him. "And while I do applaud your heroism, I just don't understand... why did you never come back? I mean, I had a right to know my father... my actual father, and so did Synchro." He shivered, remembering his brother. "I saw how strong you are out there, you could had easily stopped Nero and his twisted ways back then, instead of just doing nothing."

"Well, that is a valid-" Deathgaze try to get a word in, but Echo cut him off once more.

"And what about the times I actually did see you?" Echo scowled. "Back on that night with that thug and the girl? Or back in the prison cells at the Crystal Empire? Heck, you might have been able to talk some sense into Synchro. You had all the time in the world to tell me the truth... but you just remain silent." He adjusted his glasses, which were now cracked from the battles, letting out a sigh. "I'm sorry, I'm trying not to be angry at you... but I just want to know why you would do this."

Deathgaze sighed deeply.

"Look... son... I don't blame you for being angry at me." He admitted. "But there are things that you do not know about me. Things that I wish I didn't know. I live a dangerous life, that of a nomad. I couldn't hold down a job to save my life, and that usually left me with little funds to buy food or a home. That was no life for a foal. I did toy with the idea of getting you from the orphanage, but I thought it would be better for you to have some semblance of a normal upbringing. And after learning that Nocturne of all ponies adopted you... well, I knew you would be in better hooves..."

"So... you did know Nocturne?" Echo frowned. "And after seeing who he really was... you still considered him to be a better parent for me?"

"Of course." Deathgaze nodded "While he dragged on with those scientific baubles of his, he did have a job, a good home, and after seeing how well he was raising you... I knew you would be better off with him."

'That's what you think...' Echo thought darkly.

"With you being well taken care of by him... I decided that it would be best to stay out of your life." Deathgaze continued. "You had grown into a fine young Thestral, and had accomplished so much, and even made a name for yourself... I didn't think I had a right to intrude on all that."

"...But what about Synchro?" Echo frowned. "While I was living a normal life, Synchro...he..."

"...There was nothing I could do for him." Deathgaze shook his head solemnly, a tear dropping from his eyes. "Believe me, I wanted to help him... but he had become so consumed by his hate and his anger... and I feared that if I confronted him and told him who I was... well..." He glanced at Nero's dead body. "I would suffer Nero's fate." He then gazed at Echo once more. "But I did mourn his death... and I will forever hate myself for not being able to help him..."

"I know the feeling." Echo sighed. "I tried to reach Synchro, but he was too far gone. He may not have been inclined to listen to you, either. He was so utterly obsessed with his goals."

"Somehow, that doesn't make me feel any better." Deathgaze declared. "As a father, I've failed."

"I wouldn't say that." Echo admitted. "You came here today to save and protect me. That's what a father does. You may not have been there for me in the past, but you were here for me today."

"Thank you, son." Deathgaze smiled. "It's more than I deserve."

"I'll be the judge of that." Echo declared. "But... I am curious as to how you know to come here, of all places, at this time?"

"Well, like I told Nero, I have my sources..." Deathgaze shrugged. "I heard about that thing with Malus, the Registration Act, the Shadow Stalkers... and figured you guys might need some help..."

"And help, you did..."

Everypony leapt in shock as they turn to see none other than Scalphunter, as he was swabbing up some blood samples from Nero's dead body. He stood up shakily, his body still bruised from the battle, as he then gave a lecherous gaze.

"Well, look who's back..." Artorias scowled.

"What can I say? I'm like a boomerang that way..." He smirked.

"You want some more, punk?" Wave snarled.

"Because we'd be happy to give it to you." Wave added.

"Very happy." Moana declared.

"What are you doing with Nero's body?!" Deathgaze snarled.

"Hey, I might be losing out on a big paycheck, but it would be pointless to let good artificial Nightcrawler DNA go to waste." Scalphunter chuckled darkly.

"So... you are not here to finish things?" Echo raised a brow.

"Trust me, as much as I want to, I know when I'm beat." Scalphunter shrugged, though a hint of anger laced his tone. "But hey, with Nero's DNA and blood, it oughta light the fire right under my own project and get it running again."

"And what would be this project?" Echo glared.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Scalphunter sneered, "Sorry, unless my...'other' comrades, I have no intentions of revealing my project before it is done... but I do want to leave you something to remember me by..."

"And what would that be?" Artorias snarled, as the Pack took battle stances.

"Relax, all I was going to leave you is nothing... but a reality check." Scalphunter smirked.

"Reality check?" Artorias frowned.

"Yeah." Scalphunter sneered, "You think you may have won today, by killing Nero and all his goons... but they aren't the guys you need to be worried about." He then pointed upward. "The guys that hired them and yours truly, now those are the ones you need to be worried about. They really hate ponies like you, and they are hell-bent on making sure this 'Registration Act' goes through, and they will make it go through, even if they have to..." He does a slight pelvic thrust. "Force. It. In."

"Eww..." Wave grimaced.

"We are not afraid of them." Artorias scowled. "And once the truth is out about what has transpired here, they will go down."

"Oh, you think it's that simple?" Scalphunter grinned, "Then you don't know crap about politics. The truth can easily be covered up... or even changed. And I'm sure by the end of the week, they will have a new 'Frankensteed' and new mercenaries, locked and loaded to take you buckers out. So..." He sneered at Echo, "You didn't accomplish a thing. You only postponed the deed. Trust me, you can kick and scream all you want, but they'll have their way with you sooner or later."

"Enough of these idle threats." Artorias growled. "Leave, now!"

"Okay, okay, I'm going." Scalphunter scowled, as he turned to leave... then he glanced back at Echo, "Oh, and Echo? Just FYI, those guys that Sterling and I work for? They haven't forgotten about you. Rest assured, sooner or later, they will do unto you what Sterling lacks the stones to do."

"And just who are 'they'?" Sunset asked.

"That doesn't matter." Echo declared, glaring at Scalphunter "Just tell them they're free to try."

"Oh, I will." Scalphunter snickered, heading down the main tunnel. "See ya around, everypony..."

"So, we're gonna let him leave, just like that?" Wave growled. "He's probably goin' to sell us out!"

"Um, yeah..." Willow grimaced at their home, which was practically in shambles now, as a piece of the ceiling fell. "I think this place is as good as out in the open."

"And what if he is right?" Moana frowned, "You heard what he said. Whoever wants us gone isn't going to stop..."

"True..." Willow sighed. "They see us as an infestation, one they will stamp out, no matter long it takes."

"Way to look on the bright side, guys..." Wave snorted.

"How did it ever come to this..." Elatha sighed.

"I don't mean to point hooves." Echo shook his head. "But Artorias didn't really help matters when he attacked Malus that night."

"Wait, what?" Artorias growled. "I did no such thing!"

"He attacked Malus?" Deathgaze frowned.

"No way." Wave snorted. "He'd never do anythin' like that!"

"Why would he?" Willow asked.

"It would only make things worse." Moana added.

"Artorias, there's no point denying, they have you on tape." Sunset frowned.

"And I did see your clippings of Malus and the Act." Echo added. "I don't know why you neglected to keep the ones on the attack, but it does tell me you intended to meet with him."

"But I didn't!" Artorias yelled. "Maybe I was going to, but I swear, on my once proud spot as Alpha, I am telling the truth. I did not attack Malus."

"It's true." Elath agreed. "I was with Artorias on the night in question. He wasn't out of my sight long enough to attack Malus."

"You see?" Artorias nodded. "It is the truth."

Echo glanced into Artorias' eyes, noting that he had to look up quite a bit to do so. A sneaking suspicion crawled into his mind...

"Echo? What are you doing?" Sunset frowned.

"...I think I might know what's going on." Echo declared, as he pulled out the video of the attack on Malu., "Is there anything around here that can play this?"

"Yeah, right." Wave snorted. "This ain't the Hoofton, pal."

"Hold on." Deathgaze suddenly vanished in a puff of smoke, then returned with a bag. "I left this behind a tree. Didn't want to break my stuff..." He pulled out a video camera. "Here, try this."

Echo placed the video in the camera. Deathgaze folded out the viewscreen, and the Pack watched the events of that awful night. They looked on in horror, especially Artorias, as he saw 'himself' killing them.

"Holy..." Wave gaped.

"That's horrible." Moana wept.

"What a macabre display." Willow admitted.

"I think I'm going to be sick." Elatha gagged.

"What is this?" Artorias frowned. "This isn't me... Malus is an awful stallion, but I would never go this far... I never kill more than I have to."

"That may be so." Echo nodded. "But somepony wanted him to think otherwise."

The recording reached the scene where Artorias had Malus pinned. Echo paused it.

"Now, this is what bothers me..." Echo declared.

"What, son?" Deathgaze asked.

"Look at the size difference between this Artorias and Malus... they look pretty much the same size... but..." Echo turned to Willow. "Willow, could you pull off a Malus real quick?"

"With aplomb." Willow smiled. His eyes wisped as he turned into Malus.

"Now, stand next to Artorias..." Echo instructed.

Willow did as such, and they saw that Artorias was about twice Malus' size, much to everypony's shock.

"Oh my gosh..." Moana gasped.

"Artorias is way bigger than him than compared to Artorias on screen." Nano realised.

"Exactly." Echo nodded. "And look at my bruises." He showed off his chest bruises, caused from his fight with Artorias for Alpha. "This was mostly from being stuck under Artorias's weight, among other things... yet, when Shining told me about the attack, he said Malus was unscathed. That Artorias was not heavy enough to cause any bruising."

"So that means that the 'Great Gray Wolf' that attacked the Senate..." Sunset started.

"Was not my brother..." Elatha finished.

"I don't understand..." Artorias shook his head. "Why would somepony come and dress himself up like me and do this?"

"It's obvious, isn't it?" Deathgaze frowned. "That imposter sought to frame you for an assassination attempt. You being the 'terrorist' and being threatened by Malus's 'Nightcrawler Registration Act' would had given you the perfect motive to do so."

"Even if this impostor hadn't succeeded, this would had been enough to give the anti-Nightcrawlers the support they need to win the masses over... but one thing bothers me... how did this pony know how to act like you?" Echo wondered. "I mean, you are elusive as they come, Artorias. No pony would had been able to pull this frame job perfectly, size and weight witholding, unless..."

The other pack members came to the same conclusion.

"Someone in the pack was the one who did it..." Artorias turned to the others in shock.

"Whoa, man, you don't think any of us..." Wave frowned.

"No! No! I didn't do it!" Moana wailed. "I would never betray you, Artorias!"

"There must be some mistake!" Willow insisted.

"Come on, Echo, what reasons would any of us have to do this?" Elatha asked.

"You tell me... as it stands, everypony in this pack had their reasons for attacking the senator." Echo declared. "Your lives were already ruined by Nightcrawler prejudice, and surely, if Malus were to succeed, it would only get worse. Maybe one of you felt that you would do the pack a favor and rid the world of Malus..."

"That is an outrage!" Willow spat. "Why would any of us want to make things worse for our kind?"

"That is what I intend to find out." Echo declared.

"It's obvious that we must do this via the process of elimination." Deathgaze suggested, looking at the picture of the fake Artorias. "First off, this Artorias is certainly not dragon-size, so that means Nano is out."

"Of course." Artorias nodded. "Nano is loyal to the Pack to the end."

"But this Artorias is still about the same size as Malus, so Moana couldn't had done it either..." Echo continued.

"Oh, thank Faust, for a moment, I thought I actually did do this." Moana smiled.

"And Elatha already has an alibi, so she isn't the impostor either." Sunset pointed out.

"Not to mention I have never taken a life before." Elatha said proudly.

The others then gazed at Willow and Wave.

"That leaves only you two..." Artorias pointed out.

"Come on, we're pals, Arty..." Wave protested.

"This is ridiculous!" Willow spluttered. "I have been a vital part of this Pack for years! I would never stoop to double-crossing Artorias."

"But you two are easily the most likely to have pulled this off." Deathgaze frowned. "You two have watched and observed Artorias for many years..."

"And you are more than capable of imitating Artorias." Echo added. "Wave with his ability to mime others' voices, and Willow's ability to assume forms of others... it doesn't look good for you both."

"But... but..." Willow stuttered.

"Enough!" Moana stepped forth. "Willow is innocent! He didn't do this, I swear!"

"Why do you think that, Moana?" Sunset asked.

"Moana, you don't have to-" Willow started.

"No, it's okay... you see, the reason Willow couldn't have done this was..." Moana blushed and got a little teary-eyed. "He was with me... We... um, we were being... intimate..."

The group gaped in shock.

"What?!" Wave looked at Willow. "You and Moana?!"

"It's true..." Willow blushed. "We've sort of been having this thing for a while now, and Moana didn't want to make a big fuss out of us being in a relationship."

"Well, well." Sunset smirked. "What happened to your lives being 'too dangerous' to admit your feelings?"

"Yes." Echo snorted. "Methinks the actor was playing a role."

"It's true." Willow sighed. "I was lying. Moana and I are... together, as they say."

"Whoa, really?" Wave smirked. "You go, dude!"

"Congrats." Elatha smiled.

"I had a feeling there was something going on there." Artorias smirked.

"Well, as damning as that alibi is, I figured Willow hadn't done this." Echo revealed.

"You had?" Moana gasped.

"Echo has a point." Deathgaze nodded. "As you notice on the screen, this Artorias has dragon wings. Fake, no doubt, but there is no way Willow could control them and his own wings without revealing them both."

"But then... that leaves..." Elatha frowned.

Everypony turned towards Wave with cold stares.

"Whoa! No! No! Oh, Tartarus no!" Wave yelled. "You can't... no, I would never... this is..."

"Everything points to you, Wave... no alibi for that night, the same size as Malus... it's not looking good." Deathgaze frowned.

"Hey, you forget that all we have to go on is this stupid tape!" Wave snarled. "For all we know, you and bat boy are wrong, and this framer guy is someone else entirely! Besides, onlyArtorias has that armor! The stuff he had specially made by this Nightcrawler blacksmith in Trottingham! I got nothing like that!"

"That's all you're basing your defense upon?" Artorias growled.

"Yeah!" Wave nodded. "And that oughta be enough!"

"Wait a second." Echo glanced at Wave's neck, where a scar resided. "That scar is in the exact same place the Artorias on the video was struck."

"Where did you get that scar?" Deathgaze frowned.

"I dunno." Wave shrugged. "Maybe I got it when a tree branch fell on my head last week, when I was on patrol."

"Funny." Willow frowned. "You never mentioned it up until now. Sounds very convenient. And suspect..."

"That don't mean nuthin'!" Wave insisted.

Nano suddenly entered the chamber, carrying something.

"Hey, Guys, look what I discovered amongst Wave's things..." Nano held up none other than a copy of Artorias's body armor, albeit smaller, to fit Wave's size, much to the others' shock.

"...I've never seen that before in my life!" Wave declared.

The others examined it.

"Dragon wings..." Willow extended a pair of fake dragon wings.

"Clawed gauntlets..." Moana held up the items.

Echo examined the cowl. He squeezed something, and fire came out.

"An attached fire-breather... this is no doubt the outfit was used to attack Malus..." He glanced at Wave sadly. "And Wave is the one who donned it."

"Wave... how could you..." Willow gasped.

"I thought you were our friend." Moana sniffed.

"After everything we've been through together..." Nano shook his head.

"No! This is bullcrap!" Wave growled. "I didn't do this!"

"Everything points to you, Wave!" Deathgaze yelled. "You had the opportunity, the means... but the big question is why..."

"Yeah, as in 'why do you think I'd do this'?!" Wave snarled in frustration.

"That is the question." Willow admitted. "Why would Wave do all this?"

"Betray us all, you mean?" Artorias scowled.

"Perhaps he was just seeking to prove himself more capable... or perhaps he wanted Artorias discredited and removed as this pack's leader, so that he could take the position." Echo mused. "...Or perhaps, this was all but a ploy for revenge, not against Artorias, but towards the mare who had spurned him..."

Artorias turned to face Elatha.

"Wave... did you do this... because of me?" Elatha whispered.

Wave tried to stand his ground... then suddenly burst into tears.

"I didn't do it!" He wept. "Elatha, I love you! I'd never do anything to hurt you! Any of you! You're my family!"

"Wave..." Elatha whispered, touched.

"Don't listen to his sob story, Elatha." Moana scowled.

"He is a decent actor, after all..." Willow frowned.

"It's a dark day, alright..." Nano frowned.

"...I believe him." Artorias declared.

"You do?" Sunset asked.

"He believed me when I proclaimed innocence, so I at least owe him that courtesy." Artorias smiled. "...Besides, he's not smart enough to come up with a plan like that."

"Oh, thanks a lot!" Wave sniffed.

"And there is one thing we hadn't accounted for..." Artorias declared, as he held up his claw, and his eyes grew wispy, causing it to glow, "How did Wave, if he did do this, copy my power? That pony in the video was able to do what only I could do."

"But you seen what we saw." Deathgaze pointed out. "And let's not forget the wound on Wave's neck. What other answer could there be? If Wave didn't do it, then who could of done it?"

Echo mulled over the facts... but then, something came up. It was a unpleasant premise, but given all the evidence, it was the only likely conclusion, dark though it was...

"I have one hypothesis." He declared. "Wave did do it... but not knowingly."

"...Say what?" Wave frowned.

"What do you mean, Echo?" Nano asked. "It's not like Wave was hypnotized into donning Artorias's armor, and attacking the senate. That is farfetched as they come."

"Is it really?" Echo rebutted, "I'm not saying that Wave was necessarily hypnotized... I'm saying that he was brainwashed."

"Brainwashed? By whom?" Willow gasped.

"One pony comes to mind." Echo frowned. "...Aether."

"Aether?" Deathgaze's eyes grew wide.

"Wait, you're not saying..." Elatha gasped.

"It would make perfect sense. Aether has always been against my plans for peace." Echo declared. "Considering his power to manipulate others with psychokinetic dark magic, he could have easily assumed control of Wave's actions, have him don the armor, attack Malus and the senate, and have him come back here, being none the wiser to what he did."

"No... he couldn't." Nano frowned. "Not Aether."

"But he does have the power." Willow noted. "He could easily have done such a thing."

"But what about the death touch?" Sunset asked.

"I must admit, I'm at a loss to explain that." Echo shrugged.

"Why would Aether even do this?" Artorias shook his head. "He's been like a father to us all."

"This whole deal is messed up, if you ask me..." Wave declared.

"You guys said 'Aether', right?" Deathgaze frowned, his eyes fraught with concern. "Old stallion, psychic dark magic, a bit bipolar?"

"Yes." Moana nodded. "He's... sort of our mentor... though I wouldn't say he's bipolar..."

"He helped bring us all together." Elatha revealed. "You... know him?"

"Yes." Deathgaze nodded grimly. "And I can tell you that he's not the stallion you make him out to be."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Artorias asked.

"Where are the foals?" Deathgaze asked.

"They're with Aether right now." Sunset declared. "Are... are they in danger?"

"More than you know." Deathgaze nodded. "We have to hurry!"

The group rushed over to the kitchen... only for all of them to be unable to move.

"What... is this?" Echo struggled.

"Can't... move!" Artorias groaned.

"It's a shame you had to find out this way." Aether sighed as he walked over to them, his horn glowing. He held a struggling Snow in one hoof.

"Mom!" Snow yelled.

"Let her go!" Elatha roared.

"Oh, I will." Aether nodded. "When it suits me."

"Where's Arcane?" Sunset growled.

"He's in the kitchen, resting comfortably." Aether smiled. "The little mite is so adorable when he sleeps, don't you think?"

"Why can't we move?" Nano groaned.

"Our charms should be protecting us from his magic." Moana declared.

"Oh, didn't I ever mention?" Aether sneered. "I made them so only my magic could affect them. Surprise!"

"We know the truth, Aether." Artorias spat. "We know you brainwashed Wave into helping you frame me."

"Not cool, bro!" Wave yelled. "Not cool!"

"You have only yourself to blame, Wave." Aether smirked. "I wouldn't have been able to control you if you weren't so laughably weak-minded. You practically let me stroll right in."

"Say what?!" Wave spluttered. "Let me outta this, then say that to my face!"

Aether ignored Wave, and walked over to Deathgaze.

"Hello again, Deathgaze." He smiled.

"You..." Deathgaze struggled to free himself.

"Why are you doing this?" Artorias growled.

"And how do you and my father know each other?" Echo added. "Explain yourself!"

"Oh, is it backstory time already?" Aether asked.

"You owe us that much, at least." Elatha growled.

"Very well, I have some time to kill." Aether chuckled darkly, "But we should start at the beginning, nearly fifty years ago... somewhere in deep southern Equestria, there was this quaint little town called Paradiso. It was a pretty good town, too. Clean streets, nice folks, beautiful river... Your father and I were actually childhood friends at one point..." Aether glanced at Deathgaze. "Isn't that right, Deathgaze?"

"Yes." Deathgaze nodded stiffly. "A long time ago..."

"Hmph, same old Gaze..." Aether shook his head. "You were always that 'weird' kid everypony steers clear from. But I once thought of him as a faithful companion. We were inseperable all through school till graduation. Our lives were actually pretty good... at least, until 'they' showed up."

"...Okay, for the sake of asking, who are 'they'?" Nano growled.

"You see, when the famous 'Tenebros Wheatley' found the Tenebros gene, this opened up a lot of doors for science to probe and stick their little needles in thing." Aether frowned. "Eventually, some smart aleck in the military industry thought it would be interesting to see if they could make us into little tin soldiers, and believe it or not, a company rose up to the challenge." Aether then let out a small growl, "Forever Industries. They were some big corporation that was chosen to take on the task of making soldiers, so they decided to come rollin' into our town, and make it seem like there was a viral outbreak. Our town became quarantined, and everypony in it became lab rats to be tested on."

"What?!" Echo gasped.

"I don't believe it." Sunset gaped. "How could they-?"

"Monsters..." Artorias spat.

"You have no idea what it was like. We were practically rounded up into cages, stripped of everything, from our homes, to our lives, and to our dignities. They would take us a hoofful at a time and perform inequine experiments, testing the waters in how to make a dark magic soldier that will do your bidding. If one had the Tenebros gene, and was still living by the end of the first round, they would be put into another cage... but if you didn't..." Aether glanced away in anger. "They would put you down."

"How awful." Moana sniffed.

"I think I'm going to be sick..." Willow grimaced.

"Things just got worse and worse from there. These ponies who experimented on us were not the friendliest of ponies. They would poke and prod at us around the clock, torture us, even kill foals and harvest their organs, in hopes of using dormant Tenebros genes in their experiments. And when the soldiers got bored, they would rape the captive mares. Both our parents did not last long under this cruel regime, and we would had joined them... had not Deathgaze and I ended up in the same containment pen." Aether explained, "We were both beaten, but our resolve remain strong, and combing Deathgaze's smoke magic, and my psychic magic, we were able to blast open our cage and made a break for it... unfortunately, we had no time to free the others."

"But you did come back for them, didn't you?" Echo glanced at his father. "...Didn't you?"

"Well? Tell him, Deathgaze." Aether taunted. "Tell him how only a few days after we escaped, that they literally nuked the town. They just left all the ponies in the cages, and drop a massive magic-fueled bomb on the place, and incinerated all proof that a town named Paradiso existed! Our home, our families, all gone in an instant! Just to cover up those monsters and their twisted debauchery!"

"The whole town?" Nano gasped. "Wiped out!"

"A cruel mercy if I ever saw one." Artorias scowled.

"Is that true?" Echo asked Deathgaze.

"All of it." Deathgaze declared sadly. "That was a dark day for both of us. After seeing what had happened, Aether and I were on our own. We spent a few months, trying to figure out what to do next, while trying to at least control our powers. It wasn't going well, as I couldn't sleep with all the smoke that my hooves keep making, and everything around Aether would levitate around him in a orbit, like some extremely obese pony."

"You never could resist a jibe like that, could you?" Aether snarled. "However, that soon changed when we came face to face with professor Nocturne."

"Nocturne?" Echo gasped, as he then remembered what he heard on the tapes, "Wait... you're the friend of Deathgaze that Nocturne was talking about in his tapes?"

"Tapes?" Deathgaze frowned, "Aether, you still have those things?!"

"So what if I do?" Aether spat. "His tapes were a valuable asset to me... even though the damn fool couldn't bother to remember my name."

"Yes, that sounds about right..." Echo sighed, recalling Nocturne's manner.

"Well, he took us in, gave us a place to stay for a while." Deathgaze nodded. "He was the only pony we known that was not afraid of us, and he even went as far as to help us come to grips with our own powers."

"Yet he only saw us as test subjects, just like the others." Aether rebutted.

"Maybe... but he still treated us with the dignity that Forever Industries denied us." Deathgaze declared, "I'll never forget what he done for us. Especially when he told us more of that accursed company. Back then, I wanted nothing more than to make them monsters pay for they did to us, to our families, to our friends, and to our entire town... but then Nocturne, when we were about to leave, said something that really hit home for me... would vengeance truly set things right? Or would it just become a cycle of pain in which we allow to continue because of it?"

"Utter nonsense. Aside from dark magic, he was a complete idiot." Aether snorted. "Nonetheless, we infiltrated the company as low-level janitors, and started gathering information. We got everything on them: the records of the experiments, the order to launch the bomb, everything. Once we believed we had enough, and trust me, we did, we took it to the supreme court."

"Both Aether and I really believed that this was it, that we would finally get justice for our town..." Deathgaze frowned.

"But it didn't work out that way." Aether scowled darkly, "Forever Industries was able to cripple our entire case, undermine every single bit of damning evidence we had gathered, all based on one things... that we were Nightcrawlers, dangerous menaces to society. It didn't matter if it was true or not, it was enough to make everypony fear us and refuse to listen to what we had to say. The case was dismissed, and we became wanted criminals, while Forever Industries got off scotch-free!"

"They did?!" Echo gasped.

"No way!" Wave snarled.

"Unbelievable!" Sunset scowled.

"Then... what happened next?" Moana asked.

"Well, let's just say that I wasn't going to let those damned beasts get away with it." Aether snarled. "With my powers alone, I was able to storm the gates of Forever Industries and went straight up to the president's office, and soon had him at my complete mercy... I would have killed him instantly, had not Deathgaze tried to intervene."

"I tried to stop him." Deathgaze explained. "I tried reasoning that killing him would only make things worst for us, and that it would change nothing.... but unfortunately, the guy went on to flat out mock him, and said awful things about him, me, our town... but what really set Aether off was the fact that the company was recently bought out by some unknown buyer, and killing him would not make any difference..." He then grimaced. "Five seconds later, Aether threw him out the window of the forty storey high building."

"You had no idea how good it felt. For once in my life, I felt like I had control." Aether smiled fondly.

"That wasn't how I saw it." Deathgaze growled. "That night, when Aether murdered that stallion, I knew that the Aether I grew up with was dead, replaced with this vengeful beast that hungered for blood. I tried talking him down from this path... but he wouldn't listen."

"As I told you before, my anger was righteous." Aether spat. "The normal ponies don't care for us in the slightest. If we were to gain justice, it would be by blood and dominance."

"I urged him to take a better path... the path of peace." Deathgaze recalled.

"Like father, like son." Aether sneered. "Such talk was as pathetic then as it is today."

"Since that night, me and Aether went our separate ways." Deathgaze frowned, "I was alone for a long time, as I tried to make a new life for myself. I eventually settled down in Reinwood, trying to put my past behind me... but unfortunately, being a Thestral on top of a Nightcrawler kinda attracted the attention of the town's most racist pricks... and Nero was the head honcho of them."

"Him again." Artorias snorted. "It all ties in to him..."

"It was touch and go for a while." Deathgaze sighed. "I tried harder and harder to keep my head low, and not let my anger get the best of me..." He then smiled wistfully, "But then I met her. Claudia, Nero's wife. She was very good to me. She would come and visit me when Nero was none the wiser. It felt good to have someone who gave a crap about you. Days went by, and she and I grew closer, and then... we mated."

"That's when she was..." Echo realized.

"Yeah. I admit, it was a rather big mistake on my part." Deathgaze grimaced. "Nero found out almost immediately, and... well, you know the rest."

"Ah, yes, when you abandoned Echo and Synchro." Aether taunted him. "Your own offspring. To be subjected to years of torture and pain by the hooves of a madpony..." He sneered at Echo, "And you still allowed him to live, after what he did to you?"

"It wasn't like I wanted to!" Deathgaze suddenly snarled. "All I ever wanted to do was to march right in there, take Claudia and my foals, and kill Nero right there!"

"Yet you didn't." Aether sneered, "You just left, like the coward I knew you were. Care to tell us why?"

Deathgaze let out a vicious growl... which soon dissipated in a small whimper, as he held his head low.

"The reason I didn't come back...was because I was afraid." Deathgaze sniffed. "I knew that if I were to come back, I would had to kill Nero, and with my dark magic no less. I would reveal to the town what a menace I was, and Claudia...I didn't want her to see me as a murderer. She meant too much for me. It was selfish of me, but I didn't want to be a monster... I just want to be a pony just like everyone else."

"I know that feeling." Echo sighed.

"I think we all do..." Nano agreed.

"And that's the difference between you and me. You are just pathetic." Aether spat. "You are unworthy of the title 'Dark Messiah'. All that power, and you simply let it go to waste because you want to be a part of the weaks. Poor Claudia cried for you to come back, so much that Nero had to rip her tongue out to shut her up."

"I know, it's-wait..." Deathgaze immediately glared at Aether. "What did you say?"

"My mom... had her tongue ripped out?" Echo gaped, remembering what Synchro said about their mother doing nothing. "How would you know?"

"Well, since we're getting everything out in the open..." Aether began. "I was the one who tipped Nero off on his wife's little infidelity..."

The room went silence, as Deathgaze's eyes twitched.

"You WHAT?!" Deathgaze snarled, "You buckin' monster! I thought we were friends once!"

"No, my friend was a Thestral who would have stood by me in destroying the normals." Aether grinned madly. "You were just a Nightcrawler who lacked the stones to embrace his true identity. And I refuse to let someone who refused to do so live in peace. I had to see whether you would go 'fight or flight'... and just as I predicted, you ran, and left the mare you loved and your two 'precious sons' suffer. Thus proving what a better pony I was than the likes of you."

"This can't be happening." Elatha shook her head.

"I never thought Aether would ever do anything like this..." Moana declared.

"We looked up to him." Artorias frowned. "All of us."

"We thought he was a saviour, a visionary..." Nano declared.

"But it turns out he was really a monster, all along..." Willow added.

"And we never even saw it comin'." Wave sighed.

"YOU RUINED MY LIFE!" Deathgaze roared, "Claudia... Synchro... they're both dead because of you!"

"Please, I only set the dominoes falling. I can't help what happens in the end." Aether shrugged, "I admit, I did hope that seeing what you did would make you see how wrong you were, and that we could go back to being partners in destroying the normals...but that was wishful thinking it seems.

"Of all the things..." Deathgaze growled. "I never thought you would be this-"

"Anyways..." Aether began, cutting him off. "While Deathgaze was running with his tail between his legs, I looked for others to work with. It required stepping out of my comfort zone, but I formed some useful alliances. Even within the senate."

"The senate?" Echo gasped. "Wait, you mean..."

"Yes, Echo." Aether nodded. "I admit, they weren't keen on working with a guy like me, but they needed my help to push the Registration Act forward. So, I made Wave here do just that by trying to assassinate Senator Malus."

"Thanks for remindin' me." Wave growled.

"Why?!" Artorias snarled. "Why would you do this to me? To us?!"

"Honestly? I wanted to prove a theory of Nocturne's." Aether declared.

"What does that mean?" Echo growled.

"Well, before we left for our failure of an attempt to take down Forever Industries, Nocturne had told me of a theory he had regarding Nightcrawlers' powers. He said that their power grow as they endure suffering. The greater the suffering, the more powerful the Nightcrawler becomes."

"That's not true." Echo retorted. "It's a lie!"

"Oh, really? How else could you explain the demented minds of Sombra and Synchro and their great powers? They were shunned by society, tormented by their pasts, and saw nothing but torment in their future. That's what made them stronger. That's what made me and Deathgaze stronger." Aether explaiend, "With the Registration Act in place, not only would it set the Nightcrawlers apart from the normals, but it would lead them to come to me for guidance..." He gazed at the glaring pack. "Just like Artorias and the others. The suffering they would endure would make them battle-ready in no time."

"You... you just wanted us to be soldiers?" Elatha gasped. "You never really wanted to help us?!"

"I thought we were fighting for our freedom..." Nano murmured.

"You were, but it wasn't for our freedom... it was for his." Artorias growled.

"Don't be so simplistic, Artorias." Aether continued. "I knew that I couldn't destroy equinity on my own, so I started building up an army. It looked as if it would be simple, after Artorias and the others joined. But alas, there were complications, like what happened with Scarlet and Quicksilver. More often than not, members of the pack would leave, whether they had it out with Artorias, or was tired of this 'game' we were apparently playing. So, I had them probably taken care of..."

"Wait... I can't believe what I'm hearing." Nano grimaced. "You're the reason Quicksilver and the others are dead?"

"You monster!" Willow yelled.

"How can you be so callous?" Moana asked.

"I thought this Pack meant somethin' to you!" Wave added.

"Oh, it does." Aether nodded. "But not in the way you think. I care nothing for that 'family' nonsense. And I refuse to let more ponies like Deathgaze live. The Pack... my army... is my garden, a garden in which I must pick out the 'weeds', so that the 'flowers' may become stronger."

"Weeds?!" Artorias roared. "They were our friends! Our family!"

"They were not worthy of my vision." Aether said coldly. "Eventually, I tried to settle with the cards I was dealt with..." He then grimaced at Nano and the others, "A punk rapper who doesn't shut up, a peace-loving war machine, a over-dramatic blowhard, and a Faust damn crybaby."

"What?!" Wave yelled loudly.

"I am not a war machine!" Nano spat.

"Blowhard?!" Willow growled.

"I'm not a crybaby." Moana sniffed.

"I had tried hard to shape you all into true Nightcrawlers." Aether explained, before glaring at Elatha. "But Elatha's peace-loving ways infected your way of thinking, turning you all back into cowards and worthless pacifists. When I learned about the letter Elatha and all of you had sent... well, I decided it was best to wipe the slate clean. I contacted my friends in the senate, who called forth the mercenaries and Nero, who attacked the Den. I had hoped that in the ensuing battle, all but me and Artorias would be dead. I had no further use for Nightcrawlers who refuse to fight."

"You called them here?" Sunset gasped. "Arcane was almost killed because of them!"

"It was collateral damage." Aether shrugged. "I had hoped for a clean sweep. I didn't think Echo's presence would make a difference. But that turned out to be a major oversight." He than glared at Echo, "Echo managed to do what Elatha couldn't and he turned the once 'Great Gray Wolf' into a giant whimpering puppy. I had worked hard to make Artorias the perfect Nightcrawler, and make him forget of useless emotions like love or sadness...but you did unraveled all of that. You tainted my perfect soldier, Echo. That is unforgiveable."

"What I did was unforgiveable?!" Echo scowled. "You betrayed your friends! Sold them out!"

"Another plan you ruined, actually." Aether nodded. "Fortunately, I have a new plan. I will take Arcane and Snow and start anew. I'll make sure that they will become true Nightcrawlers, unlike their fathers..."

"You can't!" Sunset yelled.

"Don't do it!" Artorias snarled.

"Leave them alone!" Echo added.

"Ah, but I can't." Aether smirked. "Their potential is too great. With proper tutelage, they may even become Maelstroms."

"Maelstroms?" Echo asked. "What are Maelstroms?"

"The ultimate Nightcrawlers." Deathgaze declared. "Immensive power much akin to that of a Berserker, but without the savagery. They're very rare, like one in a thousand. I'm one of them, in fact. And so is Aether."

"But you've become far stronger." Aether spat petulantly. "You even need those ridiculous sunglasses to keep your power under wraps. That's why no one could ever find you..."

"So that's why you're so crazy strong?" Wave asked. "And can do all those fancy tricks? And those black wisps?"

"Those 'fancy tricks' are a by-product of his true power." Aether declared jealously. "Deathgaze has this rather unique ability, where if he was to observe a dark magic power, like say, to fire beams of neon light or feedback of a video, he could replicate that power and add it to his repertoire."

"Seriously?" Echo gasped. "That's incredible!"

"What about you?" Sunset asked. "What does being a Maelstrom mean for you?"

"Unfortunately for me..." Aether growled. "My powers seem to have stagnated. I only had my psychic dark magic to keep me going all these years, yet as I grow older, I feel my powers grow weaker. I used to be able to force colonies of lemmings to go off cliffs with ease... yet now... I am suffering from one heck of a headache trying to keep all of you in place!"

"...That's what you wanted me to become, isn't it?" Artorias asked. "A Maelstrom."

"It was one of my hopes, yes." Aether admitted. "A Maelstrom is nearly impossible to become. All the Maelstroms I had met in my time were all born into the role, but it was to my understanding that if one suffered enough, their powers would evolve. Which is why Arcane is now so important to me."

"Why?! He's just a baby!" Echo snarled.

"Just a baby, you said?" Aether sneered, as he then held up Snow. "Snow, dear, tell your family what happened when little Arcane touched you."

"No!" Snow growled, as her eyes grew wispy, "Let me go, you bully!

Snow suddenly conjured up a flurry of snowflakes, which merely fluttered over Aether's cloak.

"So much fire... she certainly takes after her father, doesn't she?" Aether sneered knowingly at Artorias, who only snarled in response, as he then tightened his grip on the filly, causing her to gasp in fear. "Now, I won't ask again, what happened when Arcane touched you?!"

"I... I'm not sure." Snow admitted. "I just kinda... saw stuff that happened to me before."

"Saw stuff?" Sunset frowned.

"Wait..." Echo frowned, recalling his own experience.

"Surely, you felt it, didn't you, Echo?" Aether asked. "When Arcane touched you, did you have these 'flashes'? All of your memories coming to you in visions?"

"...Well, yes, but I thought I imagined it." Echo murmured. "But what does that have to do with Arcane?"

"It's simple, really." Aether explained. "After your son touched you and Snow, I could sense something within the child... the essence of the 'microcrystals' spell, and the 'snow' spell, both within him... and when I had him touch me, I felt the same flashes, and soon, I felt my own powers within Arcane."

"What are you saying?" Echo asked. "That my son has his gene activated and that he can absorb other Nightcrawlers' powers? Because that is insane!"

"Is it?" Aether challenged. "Deathgaze, you could sense it too, right? All that dark power, just emanating from the little boy's body."

"Father?" Echo asked.

"I feel it, yes." Deathgaze admitted. "I just don't know what it means..."

"It proves that Arcane is not only an activated Nightcrawler, but he is a baby Maelstrom." Aether declared, "Meaning that I cannot let such potential be squandered by a peace-loving weakling and his wife."

"No way..." Echo shook his head. "It's just like Sterling predicted..."

"What about Snow?!" Artorias snarled. "What makes you think she can become a Maelstrom?"

"Well, I am not for certain that Snow will become one... but if she doesn't, it's no sleep lost on my part." Aether sneered, "I will simply dispose of her... or maybe save her for the other Nightcrawlers..."

"Don't you dare!" Elatha spat.

"If you so much as harm a scale on her head, I swear I will hunt you down and tear you apart!" Artorias roared.

"Such hostility..." Aether shook his head, "And to think, when I created you two, you were so innocent..."

"You... what?" Elatha frowned.

"I believe another tale is in order." Aether declared. "I was having no luck trying to find a Nightcrawler who would be perfect to lead my army, so I decided to make one. I had the great fortune of stumbling upon a very rare item... a scale of the Serpent Deity of Death."

"No..." Sunset whispered. She had heard stories of Osiris, and his terrifying power.

"That explains how Wave supposedly killed those guards." Echo growled. "I'm guessing you slipped it into Wave's gauntlets?"

"Very clever, boy." Aether nodded, as he then pulled out the scale in question from his robe. "This pretty little number came in handy more than I can count. Why, it's the very reason Artorias even has the touch of death for his power."

"It is? That little thing?" Artorias grimaced. "I do not follow."

"Basically, I found a unsuspecting mare, a complete nopony that no one would miss, and by taking my own seed and infusing the power within this scale, I injected the seed into her... and eleven months later, a dragon-foal was born." Aether smirked. "And that foal was you, Artorias."

"What... that means..." Artorias's blood ran cold. "You... you are our father?"

"Technically speaking, yes." Aether explained. "Your mother was none the wiser, and I made sure it stayed that way. When you came about, I could just see the dark magic dripping from your body, a very powerful one at that. My plan was a success. So much in fact that I tried again for a second one, mere months afterwards. Unfortunately, when Elatha came along... there was nothing..."

"Nothing?" Elatha growled. "You thought I was nothing?!"

"Either way, it was fine. One was more than enough. All I needed to do now was kickstart Artorias's evolution from a little dragon-foal into the cold-blooded soldier I needed, and what better way than to put him through a series of tragedies..."

"Tragedies... no, you didn't..." Artorias snarled.

"Yes." Aether nodded. "It was I who arranged for that mob to kill your mother, and subsequently force you and your sister to live on the streets. It was rather easy, instilling fears in a bunch of hapless normals, and all it took was a suggestion, and watch the fireworks."

"You caused all that?!" Elatha spat.

"I planned to cause more." Aether declared. "Remember those thugs who captured you? Well, I'm the one who paid them to do that."

"No..." Artorias whispered.

"Didn't you ever wonder where they got those fancy collars?" Aether smirked. "It was all part of my plan."

"So it's because of you that Artorias-" Elatha started.

"Correct." Aether nodded. "The intended results were twofold; The first was that Artorias would give in to his rage, unlocking new levels of strength, and that you, my dear, would be driven to suicide by the trauma of that night. Alas, things didn't pan out the way I expected..." He then glanced at Snow, "This little girl came into the picture and I was stuck with you for even longer."

"You wanted me...dead?" Elatha gaped.

"Aw, you gotta be kiddin' me!" Wave snarled. "You're dead, pal!"

"Of course. You were of no use to me." Aether sneered. "If anything, you held Artorias back. But alas, Artorias seem to care deeply for you, and I couldn't simply... you know, kill you. I had to go through hoops to orchestrate this, so that only me and Artorias would survive, but then Echo came along and infected my perfect soldier with his bleeding heart rhetoric..."

"He showed me a better way." Artorias spat. "Better than yours."

"Such a disappointment." Aether sneered. "For all your strength, you're a weakling on the inside, you damn mutt..."

"I can't believe I actually looked up to you..." Artorias growled.

"Either way, my perfect soldier plan is ruined, and now it is time to wipe the slate clean." Aether declared, his eyes growing more wispy.

Artorias found his claw being forced upwards, and starting to glow.

"I'll start with the intruder." Aether declared, as Artorias' claw neared Echo's chest. "Then the others. One by one."

"No, don't!" Artorias yelled. "Stop!"

"Oh, buck!" Wave roared.

"Don't do it!" Nano urged.

"No more!" Moana begged.

"Stop!" Willow nodded.

"You can't do this!" Sunset yelped. "Echo!"

"It doesn't matter what you do to us, monster." Echo struggled. "Ponies like you will never win!"

"You took the words right out of my mouth, son." Deathgaze said proudly.

"And all like words, they are pointless." Aether smirked. "Especially when compared to action."

"Please don't make me do this." Artorias pleaded.

"Why fight it? It's what I made you to do." Aether declared. "In that respect, I'll at least see some success from this project..."

"Not today!" Elatha roared, as she suddenly stepped forward. "I'm gonna kill you, you motherbucker!" She then realized she had moved. "Huh?"

"What the- Elatha, you can move?" Artorias gasped.

"What?!" Aether gasped. "How?! My magic should be affecting-" He then noticed the glow on her charm, "Wait...the charm is glowing brighter than ever... what did you do to it?"

Elatha glanced at her charm and came to a realization.

"Sunset." Elatha revealed. "Snow broke my charm a few days ago, and she fixed it. Sunset must had given it enough of a boost that it blocks your magic too."

"Grr, no matter." Aether snorted. "You may be free, but you won't stop me."

"And why not?" Elatha asked.

"Because I will mentally lobotomize your inbred offspring if you come any closer." Aether threatened, tightening his grip on Snow.

"I don't know what that means, but it sounds pretty bad!" Snow trembled.

Elatha froze, both in horror, and outrage.

"You... you monster." She spat. "How can you do all these terrible things? To me... to Artorias? Are we nothing but a bunch of playthings to you?!"

"What I do, I do for the survival of our species." Aether said coldly. "And sometimes, survival requires sacrifices."

"Don't give me that." Elatha snarled. "This isn't about survival. This is about revenge. The normal ponies hurt you, and now you're obsessed with hurting them back. You've become as twisted and hateful as the most prejudiced of bigots."

"The same bigots who seek to destroy us all." Aether nodded. "I had to do something to put an end to them."

"So your answer is to become the very thing you wish to destroy?!" Elatha asked. "How does that make sense?!"

"Simple." Aether smirked. "Unlike them, no one will be able to lay a hoof on me!"

"You piece of filth! You brought all those nightmares upon myself and Artorias, then had the gall to claim that you were helping us!" Elatha growled angrily, disgusted by Aether's hypocrisy. "I swear to Faust, if you don't let my baby go right now, I... I..." She let out a snarl as her eyes turned wispy. A nearby tree root caught on fire.

"What the..." Aether frowned.

"Did she just..." Deathgaze gaped.

As Elatha's anger grew, the door to the chamber across the tunnel suddenly erupted into flame..

"She's a Nightcrawler..." Nano gaped.

"Just like us..." Moana mused.

Suddenly, Willow's shirt's shoulder caught fire.

"Ow!" He yelped, as he tilted his head to blow at it, "Watch where you aimin'!"

Elatha suddenly snapped out of it, as she noticed the small fires she had started.

"What... how..." Elatha murmured, as she glanced at her claws.

"This is impossible..." Aether gaped.

"I don't understand. Elatha can't be a Nightcrawler." Artorias shook his head. "Aether said..."

"Wait, Aether might have sensed your abilities because you had a bit of Osiris's power within you." Echo deduced. "Elatha might have not simply inherited it like you did."

"But why now?" Sunset asked, "Elatha showed no signs of being a Nightcrawler for years."

"Hmm, perhaps all the dark magic energy in the air from our battle and Aether's magic must had given Elatha just enough juice to activate her gene." Echo mused. "And her power is that of pyrokinesis."

"Dude, I knew Elatha was hot... but this is takin' it to another level." Wave gave a small smirk.

"Pyrokinesis, huh?" Elatha mused, as she gazed at another tree root, and with a bit of concentration, the root caught on fire. "Whoa..."

"So what if you have Nightcrawler powers?!" Aether snarled, "It will make no difference."

"We'll just see about that." Elatha glared.

"And besides, when it comes to combat, you're a rank amateur." Aether smirked. "If you truly believe you can face warrior of my power and experience, have at it."

"Gladly." Elatha nodded.

"Do your worst, girl." Aether smirked. "Or have you forgotten that my Voldemare charm will protect my body from your newfound powers?"

"Who says I was aiming for your body?" Elatha sneered.

Aether's robes caught on fire.

"Ahh!" He yelped. In a panic, he dropped Snow, who rushed over to Elatha.

"Momma!" Snow cried as she ran into her mother's hooves.

"There, there, sweetie." Elatha stroked her daughter's mane. "Momma's got you. You're safe.

With Aether's concentration broken, the captives were able to move again.

"Now, you will pay for your wicked ways!" Deathgaze roared, as he and Echo rushed him.

"Gah!" Aether was blown back, hitting the wall. Still on fire, he ignored his bruises and tore off his robes, and stopping the flames. He then snarled. "You dragon-blood harlot, I will kill you! I will kill all of-"

Aether stopped mid-sentence as he noticed his charm was on the floor. At the same time, Artorias noticed it as well.

"His charm..." Artorias realized. "Elatha, you know what to do!"

Elatha gave a nod as her eyes grew wispy once more. Aether stepped back in legitimate fear.

"Elatha, don't..." He quivered. "This isn't you. You don't kill... You're a compassionate mare, remember? Please... I'm sorry... forgive me..."

"You should be pleased." Elatha said viciously. "I'm finally about to live up to your expectations." Her eyes glinted. "This is for everyone you hurt, you son of a-"

Aether's entire body was set aflame.

"NYAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!" Aether screeched, stumbling around the chamber in total agony.

The others watched with grim satisfaction as the traitor burnt. All expect for Sunset, who rushed to the kitchen to get Arcane, and Snow, who huddled against her mother's chest, not wanting to see the gruesome scene.

Aether finally fell to the floor, his body charred black.

"Kuhhhh..." He coughed.

"Look at what you've become, Aether." Deathgaze said coldly. "This is where your hate had led you."

"It's a pity, really." Echo sighed. "You could have done so much good..."

Sunset returned with Arcane, looking down in horror at Aether's burnt body.

"Oh, my Faust..." She gagged at the smell of burnt flesh.

"You think he's..." Nano asked.

"Please..." Aether croaked, reaching out to them, "H-help... me..."

"Faust, why can't ponies just stay dead today?!" Wave groaned.

"No matter, Let me put you out of your misery." Artorias growled as he was about to stomp on Aether's head...

Suddenly, a spear slammed down on Aether's back.

"Ahk!" He wheezed, as his body grew limp.

"What was that?!" Artorias asked.

"That would be me."

Everypony turned again, to see Fury, who was waiting at the door.

"Come back for more, have you?" Artorias growled, as the Pack stood poised to strike.

"I knew you wouldn't have gone down from that one attack." Nano snarled.

"I know this may look bad, but I assure you, I am not on Nero's side." Fury explained, "If anything, I am on your side."

"Says the guy that was trying to kill us!" Sunset grunted.

"I have a reason for doing what I did, but I am not your enemy..." Fury explained.

"Oh, really?" Nano scowled. "And we're supposed to believe you why?"

"Because..." Fury took a stance and brought his claws upward, as six dark cyclones materialized all around him, crackling with dark electricity.

"What the-?!" Artorias spluttered.

"That's... new." Willow gaped.

Fury then brought his claws down, as the cyclones dissipated to reveal six dragon-head tipped spears, circling around him. They instantly disappear into thin air, as they then drop from above Fury, the griffon catching the first two spears in each paw, and the third one with his first paw, and flourished them around as the remainder of the spears simply float around him...as he himself began to float a bit, as wind circled around him. Fury's eyes were wispy as all get out.

"Holy crap..." Deathgaze gasped.

"He's one of us?!" Elatha gaped.

"A Griffon Nightcrawler?" Nano asked. "How is that even possible?"

"While the Tenebros Gene is mostly found in equines, it can pop up in other species." Echo declared. "It's rare, though. Practically one in a million."

"Well, that certainly explains where he got all those spears." Moana mused.

"So what? We're supposed to trust him now?" Wave snorted. "We trusted Aether, and look what happened!"

"Please, let me explain." Fury urged as he lowered himself to the ground, causing his spears to disappear again. "My name is Fury Xaldin, and I'm a double agent. I had been working under Nero's employment for the past couple of years as a means of gathering evidence for my true employer."

"Well, you played your role well." Willow admitted, "You certainly didn't held back in battle."

"But he did when Quicksilver was killed by Nero." Artorias growled. "You were there, weren't you? You just stood there while Nero murdered Quicksilver, a fellow Nightcrawler. And what of the other Nightcrawlers?!"

"I know it doesn't look good..." Fury shook his head, "But I had to keep up appearances. If I shown a little bit of mercy for those we hunt, Nero... or Frankensteed, would had found me out, and all our work would had been for naught. Quicksilver of all ponies was well aware of that."

"Did he, now?" Willow frowned. "How would you know?"

"Because we shared the same employer." Fury revealed.

"...What?" Moana gasped.

"We had been hired by the same stallion to help our fellow Nightcrawlers." Fury declared. "Quicksilver had told me much about you guys, and how he wanted to do things right by his dead sister and those he wrongfully blamed for her death by helping all the Nightcrawlers that were threatened by ponies like Nero. Unfortunately, he also knew I would have to do... unseemly things while in Nero's employ. But he didn't care. If it meant saving our future, then it was worth the cost."

"And who exactly is this stallion who hired you?" Echo asked.

"That I can't say, for his own safety." Fury stated, "Those who had sought to destroy you, had been trying their best to take care of him. They had no idea that I am working for him."

"I still don't buy it." Artorias grunted, "You expect us to trust you, just because you are one of us?"

"No. I expect you to trust me because of Quicksilver." Fury scowled, "Would Quicksilver ever lie to you guys?"

"No, he wouldn't." Artorias admitted.

"He always did like to speak his mind..." Elatha smiled.

"Whether we wanted him to or not..." Wave chuckled.

"So... this evidence... are you saying that you can help us get our lives back?" Willow asked.

"Like we won't have to live underground anymore?" Wave gave a hopeful smile.

"I'm afraid not." Fury shook his head. "Granted, I had compiled enough evidence that would give us a guilty verdict a thousand times over... but the ones that I am trying to help bring down are powerful ponies. If I came before everypony with this evidence..."

"Then they could easily have it all tossed out and use your Nightcrawler heritage to demonize you." Deathgaze sighed. "It would be our words against theirs... this is Forever Industries all over again..."

"So we're up the creek, then." Nano sighed.

"Yep." Wave nodded. "Without a paddle, or a buckin' boat."

"Not to mention the location of our Den has been exposed." Willow added.

"We're doomed, aren't we?" Moana sighed. "Well, we had a good run..."

"Hey, I am not about to just roll over and play dead because of these buckers!" Artorias snarled. "There must be something we can do to stop them."

"I agree, Sunset and I came to complete a mission and put a stop to this madness, and that is what we intend to do." Echo declared.

"I guess it's worth a shot." Nano smiled.

"Together, we may have a chance." Elatha nodded.

"Yeah, let's stick it to 'em!" Wave grinned.

"I suppose it's better than standing around, waiting to die..." Moana smiled half-heartedly.

"We've got one more performance in us yet." Willow nodded.

"Fury, do you know who it is that hired you to hunt us?" Echo asked.

"That I do." Fury nodded. "I don't actually have names, as they only ever told Nero that but I do know this... they are a married couple, who work as ambassadors..."

Immediately Echo and Sunset scowled.

"Of course... Hans and Olga Hubris." Sunset snarled.

"I wish I can say that I was surprised, but I'm not." Echo sighed, "I'm assuming that they were responsible for the assassination attempt?"

"That would be correct." Fury nodded. "They were working with Aether, but they intended on double-crossing him when the Act was all said and done..." He then grimaced at Aether's corpse, "But that I believe is all taken care of. And with all the mercs dead except for me, this will surely tick them off."

"Hmm..." Echo mused. "Maybe we can use Aether's death to our advantage."

"What do you have in mind, Echo?" Artorias asked.

"...I have a plan." Echo smirked. "Fury, I assume you are supposed to check back in soon?"

"Affirmative." Fury nodded. "Frankensteed already let them know that we were about to attack the den, so I will be due back at the senate tomorrow."

"And you will be there." Echo declared. "But you won't be alone." He then gazed at Wave and Willow. "Willow, Wave... think you two can pull off a good Aether?"

"Oh, yeah." Wave nodded.

"With ease." Willow grinned.

"But if you're going to be convincing, you should be a little more roughed up." Artorias told Fury. "The losing side generally looks far more worse off. But I can help you with that..."

Hooves up, Artorias closed in on Fury with a malicious smirk.

"Aw, flap." Fury grimaced.

The very next evening, Hans and Olga Hubris were in one of the senate's back rooms. The robes they wore to their secret meetings with the mercs were hanging in a cabinet.

"Where are they?" Olga frowned. "They should have checked in by now."

"Patience, my dear." Hans urged, "They're mercenaries. They aren't known for their punctualities."

"Of course not." Olga sneered. "To think, we've been reduced to working with such lowlifes..."

The door opened, and two cloaked figures entered the room.

"There you are!" Olga snarled. "Where had you been? We hadn't heard boo from Frankensteed all day!"

The first of the cloaked figures took off his cloak, revealing a badly ruffled up Fury, black eye and all.

"My Faust, what had happened to you, Fury?" Hans grimaced.

"And where is Frankensteed?!" Olga asked.

"Ugh, it was a massacre." Fury sighed. "They saw us coming from a mile away. We tried as hard as we could, but the Shadow Stalkers were too much for us. They murdered everyone... even Frankensteed."

"What?! No!" Olga gasped in anger.

"What of Scalphunter?!" Hans demanded.

"I'm really sorry, sir." Fury said in a false-wimpy tone. "Scalphunter bailed the moment Frankensteed died. I was barely able to escape with my life."

"You coward!" Olga spat. "I thought you were a Griffon, not a chicken!"

"And what of our other operative?" Hans asked. "What's his report on all this?"

"Yeah..."

Hans and Olga turned to the other cloaked figure, who took off his cloak to reveal none other than Aether.

"I have bad news too." Aether said in a oddly lackadaisal manner, "I'm afraid my cover has been blown. I had to hightail it out of there behind Fury so that the Great Gray Wolf wouldn't kill me."

"Unbelievable!" Olga raged. "We put so much work into killing off and incapacitating any Nightcrawler and those freak-lovers that could pose to be a threat to our Act! Have you any idea the money and favors we had to put in to get as far as we did?!"

"We even had you use that damn mutt to attack Malus so he'd receive sympathy and be in everpony's favor." Hans spat. "Can you at least say that Echo Alchemy is dead?"

"Him, his harlot, and that wretched spawn?!" Olga sneered.

"I could, but it would be a lie." Fury admitted. "Echo was actually the one who killed Frankensteed..." He then glanced at him. "Were you aware that Frankensteed was an artificial Nightcrawler?"

"He... what?!" Hans gaped.

"He was one of them?" Olga grimaced.

"Yeah, Scalphunter told us everything." Aether frowned. "Apparently, you've been employing a home-made 'freak' to kill all the other freaks...kinda ironic, don't ya think?"

"Oh Faust, this can't be happening..." Olga growled. "If the others find out that we had a Nightcrawler working for us..."

"Um, excuse me, I'm standing right here." Aether frowned.

"Look, we'll just have to sweep that all under the rug." Hans soothed his wife, before glaring at Aether. "You... you told us that the Pack would be easy picking."

"Did I say that?" Aether asked, as if legimately confused. "Well, let's see... there's a mare that can cry like a fire hose, a stallion who can make hurricanes, another stallion that can become like iron, a very hot looking zebra who can scream real loud, a even hotter dragon mare who can set things on fire, and there is the 'Great Gray' with his death touch, and there's Echo... yeah... I don't see any of that being easy."

"You think this is funny, you freak?!" Olga roared. "In all my life, I've never seen such sheer, unmitigated incompetence!"

"Honestly, what do we even pay you two for?!" Hans scowled.

"Wait, we were getting paid?" Aether asked.

"First time I'm hearing about this." Fury slightly joked.

"Oh, Faust, why is that wretched Echo so damn hard to kill?!" Olga screamed, slamming her hooves into the table. "He got our fruit of a son murdered, and now he has a pack of freaks on his side!"

"Whoa, a little harsh saying that about your dead son, don't you think?" Aether grimaced.

"Oh, he was a disappointment anyway!" Hans snapped, as he then took a deep breath, calming himself. "Okay, okay, I think we can figure this out. This is just a minor setback, a bump in the road."

"Really? 'Cause I am not seeing it." Olga admitted.

"Look, the mercenaries may be dead, but we can use that to our advantage." Hans explained. "We could easily pass off each of them as honest to good soldiers that were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got killed in cold blood by the Shadow Stalkers. That oughta gain us some points..."

"That won't be enough." Olga snorted. "Not as long as Shining and Cadance still oppose us. Those fools will never stay out of our way unless we do something about them."

"But what can we do about them?" Hans asked, "They are both royalty, and if we killed them, Celestia and the others will fall down on us like a pile of bricks."

"Who said we need to kill them specifically? We just have to hit them right where it hurts..." Olga sneered. "Maybe if Aether can do his thing and brainwash that dimwitted buffoon into murdering their little child Twyla, and get it in the tabloids, this will cement Nightcrawlers in infamy."

"Yes... Yes!" Hans nodded. "That would be enough to seal the deal!"

"What?!" Fury asked, outraged. "Is your hate for Nightcrawlers so great that you would warrant the murder of a foal?!"

"And is that a problem?" Hans asked.

"We don't pay you to make problems." Olga spat. "We pay you to solve them. And those two are a big problem. The loss of their precious foal should shut them up nicely. Then, once the Act is in place, we will be free to focus all our efforts in destroying Echo and that hellspawn, once and for all!"

"And what if I refuse to go with this plan?!" Fury snarled.

"Then you'll be the next to go." Olga snarled. "You dare to turn on us, you overgrown magpie? I'd have thought the gold we paid would have satisfied your Griffon greed. But it seems we were wrong, you wretched, mangy vulture!"

Hans noted the disgust on Aether's face.

"You look a little perturbed." He declared. "If you have something to say, then you should spit it out."

Aether opened his mouth... and a completely different voice came out.

"Yo, that is buckin' messed up, ya sick buckers!" Aether spat, his voice sounding a lot like Wave. "Stone cold, dudes!"

"We can care less what you think you lousy- wait... why did you just sound like one of those dumb rappers?" Hans froze.

"Because..." Aether snarked, as suddenly, a green wind surrounded him, and as soon as it dissipated, Wave stood in his place. "I am a dumb rapper!"

"What the..." Hans gaped.

"Surprise, motherbucker!" Wave yelled, his eyes wisping.

"No..." Olga gaped. "Fury, kill it! Kill it now!"

"I'm afraid I can't do that." Fury declared. "I've cowed to your twisted whims long enough."

"What?!" Hans growled.

Fury gave a evil smirk as suddenly, his eyes grew wispy, and a spear materialize out of mid-air, pointing right at them.

"No... you too?!" Olga screamed, "This can't be happening!"

"Relax, Olga, they can't prove anything we just said!" Hans growled. "They're Nightcrawlers! It's their words against ours..."

"Actually..." Wave shared a smirk with Fury, as they then pulled up two wires, hidden in the fur of their chests. "Me an' him have been wearin' wires, broadcasting to a receiver... right in the main court room of the Senate..."

Ten minutes earlier...

The Senate was coming together.

"No Celestia this time." Malus taunted Shining and Cadance. "Nopony to turn the tide in your favor..."

"Smirk all you like, Malus." Shining retorted. "The right way will always win out in the end."

Just as the session was about to begin Echo and Sunset (Sunset carrying Arcane) burst in, with the Pack right behind them.

"Forgive the intrusion, but we must be heard!" Echo called.

"Ahh!" Malus panicked at the sight of Artorias (in full armor). "It's him! Guards! Guards!"

"Please, those Nightcrawlers mean you no harm!" Echo declared. "In fact, there are ponies in the Senate that are trying to kill them, and all Nightcrawlers. Those same ponies framed Artorias for the attempted murder of Senator Malus!"

There was skeptical mumbling amongst the Senate.

"You honestly expect us to believe that?" Malus scowled.

"I believe them." Shining declared.

"Me, too." Cadance nodded. "Congratulations, by the way." She indicated Arcane.

"Thanks." Sunset smiled.

And who is that?" Malus asked. "Another filthy Nightcrawler terrorist?"

"Oh, how charming." Deathgaze snorted.

"You'll have your proof in mere moments." Echo declared, setting up the receiver. "Two of our friends are about to unveil the true monsters here..."

"Now see here!" Malus yelled. "You can't just-"

"QUIET!!" Artorias roared. My friend needs to concentrate!"

"They're in position..." Willow declared. He spoke into a microphone. Wave, get into character. And don't forget to really highlight the backstabbing.

Now...

The two were aghast with horror.

"No... no!" Olga yelled.

"Run, my love!" Hans urged, we gotta get out of here.

They charged out of the room and into the main court, only to be greeted by the entire Senate, all glaring at them.

"Oh, buck..." Hans cursed as they made to run the other way.

As they rushed down the corridor. Nano blocked their way.

"Sorry, this corridor is closed." He declared.

Cursing silently, the couple rounded another corner, Moana stopping them.

"This corridor is water-damaged." She smirked.

The Hubris' turned again, only to find Elatha and Snow blocking.

"Boy, they sure can run, can't they?" Snow asked.

"They're running, but they're not getting anywhere." Elatha declared.

The Hubris' headed for the last corridor, only to find Artorias, Deathgaze, Echo, Sunset, and the entire Senate standing before them.

"You two have a lot to answer for." Echo declared coldly.

"It... it's not what you think!" Hans spluttered. "We were just trying to defend the innocent from those dangerous Nightcrawlers!"

"So we got a little extreme in our methods." Olga added. "But it was all for the greater good-"

Cadance slugged Olga in the face.

"'Greater good' that." She spat. "No one hurts my daughter, you witch!"

"You two are monsters, plain and simple." Shining growled.

"We're the monsters?! Echo got our son-" Hans tried to protest.

"Don't even use your son as an excuse!" Deathgaze snarled. "We heard the tape, and I know what happened to your son. He was murdered unjustly, yes, but he was only in that position because of your own mistreatment of him!"

"How dare you-" Hans tries to rebut, only to be silenced by Deathgaze's cold golden eyes.

"You lied, and cheated, and orchaestrated an assassination attempt, all to achieve your twisted goals." Sunset growled. "I understand that losing your son was painful, but it didn't justify any of this. On that, we all agree."

"Malus, you know what we're talking about!" Hans started. "You understand, right?"

"Understand?!" Malus snarled. "I thought you supported me because you believed in my ideals... but this is nothing like what I wanted! I know what it means to fear Nightcrawlers, and want them kept under control... but that was for the sake of security. This... is not security. If anything, this is the exact opposite! The fact that you were willing to put my life at risk just so you could get the Act to pass is going way too far! If you are willing to kill Nightcrawlers, even if they were innocent, who to say you wouldn't kill those that you claim to protect?! You only did this to get what you want!"

"Really?! Like you weren't stoking public hatred of Nighcrawlers to get your Registration Act signed?" Olga snarled, rubbing her bruised face.

"Maybe I overembellished a little on their genetic property, and maybe I find them to be a bit unnerving..." Malus grunted. "But I would never warrant their destruction. I am not that kind of stallion!"

"So don't try to hide behind a mask of altruism." Sunset declared. "You did all that for yourselves, not anypony else. You only did it because you hate Nightcrawlers."

"So what?!" Olga snapped. "So what if we hate every last stinking one of them?!"

"They're nothing but genetic mishaps who deserve to be destroyed." Hans added. "Dark magic is something that should had died a long time ago, and along with it every single pony that uses them."

"In spite of the fact that there are ponies who uses these powers for good?" Cadance growled. "Echo had proven time and time again that they certainly do exist. And these Shadow Stalkers? They only did what they could to survive, because of ponies like you!"

"Like us?" Hans asked, as he gave a evil chuckle, "You talk as if we are the only ponies who believe this. Look around you, you fools..." He gestured to every Senate member, "Do you freaks notice that aside from Shining and Cadance that not one pony has risen to your defense?"

"...He's got a point." Wave noted.

"Not one of these guys have actually addressed us..." Nano agreed.

"You see?" Hans sneered, "No one gives a damn about you freaks. And neither do the ponies out there. We can pass this Act and not a single 'normal' pony will bat a eye at a Nightcrawler's distress...because they see what we see... a whole bunch of-"

"You are wrong."

Everypony turned to see a stout Unicorn with a pale yellow coat, brown mane, and yellow, Thestral-like eyes, and an olive branch Cutie Mark enter the room.

"Barbossa Wheatley." Malus gasped.

"Who?" Wave asked.

"I think I heard of him..." Echo mused. "To my understanding, he's a long-time advocate for Nightcrawler equality...in fact..." He then gazed at Barbossa in realization. "I believe he actually might be the grandson of Tenebros Wheatley..."

"You mean the founder of the Tenebros gene?" Nano gaped. "This is his grandson?"

"It would appear so, yes." Deathgaze nodded.

"Hello, everypony." Barbossa smiled. "I do apologize for missing the past couple of meetings, and for being late now, but I had been getting lots and lots of death threats." He gazed at Hans and Olga. "Not to mention a lot of odd events that I feel are connected. Not that I was scared, but I had other things to do before coming here tonight..."

"So what brings you here now?" Shining asked.

"Well, I had recieved a call that my employee had found a way to stop a threat on Nightcrawlers' livelihood, and it involved the 'Shadow Stalkers' and a pony named Echo. I had to see how it panned out... and I was not disappointed." Barbossa walked over to Fury, patting him on the shoulder. "Good work, my friend."

"Thank you, sir." Fury smiled.

"Well, that's one mystery solved..." Deathgaze noted.

And you must be the illustrious Echo Alchemy." Barbossa turned to Echo. "I'm a great fan of your work."

"Oh... um, thank you." Echo smiled.

"And as for you two..." Barbossa turned to Hans and Olga. "You say nopony cares about Nightcrawlers? That they're nothing but genetic mistakes? Well, you're wrong. Contrary to popular belief, there are indeed ponies that care about us 'freaks' that could do the impossible. You wouldn't know, because you are so busy trying to make everypony see your side, even if they don't want to. You let hate and fear take control of you, and it leads to ponies getting hurt or worse. And because nopony speaks up for them doesn't mean they don't exist."

"Oh, please." Hans snorted. "Who cares what you think?"

"You're the head freak around here!" Olga spat. "Your grandfather was a Nightcrawler, and you have his freak genes!"

"That's right." Barbossa nodded. "And I'm actually proud of being a Nightcrawler, even though my gene is unactivated. Do you know why? Because my grandfather found something truly beautiful.

"Oh, give me a break." Olga snorted, "You expect us to believe that Nightcrawlers even deserve to live with us normal ponies?"

"No... but I think 'they' will convince you." Barbossa then gestured to the door. "Come on in, everypony."

Numerous ponies entered the room. Most of them looked pretty normal, but a few of them seemed... odd. One looked like he was made of ice, another had skin made of rock, and one was wearing a pair of odd looking glasses...

"What is this? The cast of Rent?" Hans sneered. "Who are all these ponies?

"These would all be Nightcrawlers, Mr. Hubris. Nightcrawlers who had been living in peace with the 'normal' ponies for many years. They had come out as Nightcrawlers to the populace, yet they were accepted into our society. You there..." He pointed to one Earth Pony, who had a brown coat and yellow mane, and a spotlight Cutie Mark, "Tell us about yourself."

"Well, my name is Glimmer." The Pony declared. "I live over in Whinneyapolois. I can create light shows with my horn. I have a steady job in the textile factory, and I'm... quite popular with my co-workers, especially at parties. I even married one just last year, and we're currently expecting."

"And you?" Barbossa asked a green Unicorn with a mane made out of leaves, and a hoe Cutie Mark.

"I'm Undergrowth." The Unicorn announced. "I'm from Las Pegasus. I'm a landscaper. A pretty successful one, too." He made a nearby potted plant grow. "As you can imagine, my customers don't mind my... unique way with plants."

"And I'm Potter." A Pegasus mare with a blue coat, brown mane, and vase Cutie Mark. "I live over in Rainbow Falls. I have power over clay, but nopony thinks I'm a freak. In fact, I have lots of friends, who all accept me for who and what I am."

"Don't you see now? These Nightcrawlers are all good ponies." Barbossa explained. "They are not monsters. And these aren't even all of the Nightcrawlers I had come to know. There are countless others I could bring in here... but I believe I made my point. This proves that peaceful co-existence is possible. I had even begun a project to help those Nightcrawlers who needs our help. Operation Paradiso. "

"Paradiso..." Deathgaze whispered. "...There is somepony who cared?"

"Of course." Barbossa nodded. "There are always ponies who care. But there's always room for more..."

The Senate murmured amongst themselves.

"Sir, I have a full list of those who have collaborated with the Hubris' in this conspiracy." Fury produced a sheet of paper. "It wasn't easy, but it was a good thing that Frankensteed kept a list of his employers in his suit."

"Good." Barbossa nodded, as Guardsponies entered the room. "They will all answer for their crimes."

The Guardponies grabbed some of the Senate members, including Hans and Olga.

"My word." A Pegasus gaped.

"Such a disgrace..." A Unicorn sighed.

"No, you can't do this!" Hans yelled.

"Get your hooves off me!" Olga roared.

Suddenly, Barbossa turned to Malus.

"As for you, Senator Malus..." Barbossa began.

"Whoa, now hold the phone..." Malus frowned, "I had no part in this!"

"I am well aware of that, Malus." Barbossa nodded. "But I just want to ask you to do yourself a favor...drop the Registration Act."

"What?!" Malus frowned, "Barbossa, you made very good points and all, but this is for the good-"

"I know you think you are doing good, Malus... but really, it will do good in ticking a lot of ponies off." Barbossa frowned. "If you allow this Act to pass, it would mean inciting the wrath of every Nightcrawler that is in this very room."

Malus gazed around, as all the Nightcrawlers glanced at him, feeling a bit cold.

"Sure, they might not do anything to you now... but I can't say that none of them will break their vow for peace to take out their frustrations of being branded like cattle on you... and I have to warn you... there is this hot-tempered gal who can go through walls, and you are already on her crap list."

"But, but... ...Very well." Malus scowled, realising it would be useless to complain. "I'll drop it."

"Thank you." Barbossa smiled. "You made the right choice today. And who knows? Your popularity might actually go up."

"That's cold comfort." Malus sighed. "But it's better than being dead, that's for sure."

"As for the rest of you, you may want to rethink your own thoughts about Nightcrawlers." Barbossa declared. "As we've learned today, normal ponies can be just as dangerous."

The Senate muttered in agreement as they dissipated, returned to the main room for their session.

Later on, Echo was speaking with Shining.

"Great work, Echo." Shining smiled. "I knew you could do it."

"In all honesty, I didn't do it alone." Echo admitted. "And I had my doubts..."

"But you can't argue with results." Shining grinned. "Once again, you've made me proud, old friend."

"Thank you, Shining." Echo smiled. "I do try."

"See you at the palace tomorrow?" Shining asked.

"Of course." Echo nodded.

As Shining departed, Echo was met by Barbossa.

"Kudos to you, Mr. Wheatley." Echo declared. "That was quite a performance."

"From you, that's high praise indeed." Barbossa smiled.

"I don't know about that." Echo said humbly.

"Well, I do." Barbossa declared. "Your work has been an inspiration to me. It's good to know there are others out there fighting for equality."

"It certainly is." Echo nodded.

"I look forward to the next time our paths cross." Barbossa shook Echo's hoof.

"As do I." Echo nodded. "But for now, I think it's high time I go home, and spend some time with my family."

"You've more than earned it, Mr. Alchemy." Barbossa grinned.

As Barbossa left, Echo saw Sunset waiting for him, Arcane in her hoof, along with the rest of the pack, talking merrily about what had occurred.

"That I have." He smiled. "That I have..."