• Published 18th Aug 2015
  • 1,478 Views, 22 Comments

Battery - RockStarMLP



A new trial of challenges faces the Sparkle family

  • ...
5
 22
 1,478

Chapter 3: Waking Up

An open waiting area on the hospital's top floor was the best place Detective Benson and Rainbow Dash found to talk. Rainbow was asked to recall everything that happened, which she did with how her day started and leading up to finding the group outside Night Stone Castle. When that explanation was done, the detective asked about any other protests in recent weeks, only to be informed that there were only a few select ponies in Ponyville that were still disapproving of Nyx in their town and not banished, mostly just giving glares or the occasional vocal times. There were a couple ponies the cyan mare knew about and saw in the group, but did not know them by name.

"Can you explain what this Silver Lining did to you and Princess Twilight more specifically?" Benson asked.

"I told you already, he front-bucked her in the chest and knocked the wind out of her," Rainbow Dash explained. Her tone showed her loss of patience with answering all the questions she had been asked. "Then he used magic to throw dust in my eyes which made me crash land, and then two other ponies held me down."

Benson paused to write down some notes. Like any detective, she carried a notebook and pen in her coat pocket to write down all her acquired information without solely relying on mental memory. When those notes were written, she asked another question. "You said you saw first-hoof of Nyx being punched and magically thrusted into the opposing group. Were you able to see what exactly they were doing to her?"

"They beat her," the cyan mare said angrily. "They bucking beat her. They treated her like she was less than nothing, or did you not see Nyx in that hospital bed and miss the sight, Detective B-?"

The detective was taken aback by that, but only barely. It was clear that Rainbow misplaced her name, a minor detail. To work in Special Victims means having some thick skin when it comes to how everypony react to such cases, and it was clear that Rainbow Dash was outraged, with a slight hint of verbal hostility. Years of training and experience helps any law officer handle their given situations, and since the Elements of Harmony and royal family were involved, this was the most important of times to be understanding, but also firm.

"I am well aware of Nyx's condition, Miss Dash," said the detective, "and it's Detective Benson." Rainbow Dash said nothing. "I also request that you try to calm yourself down. I understand that this is difficult, bu-"

"Calm down? How do you think I can calm down?" snapped the cyan mare. She got up on her hooves, stomping around and occasionally putting her eyes back at the detective. "I've dealt with bullies tease my friends simply for how they are. I've seen bullies mock other ponies for reasons their targets can't control. My friends and I have had to deal with freaks that threatened our well-being, if not worse, more times than most ponies have their entire lives! But this... this is the worst that I've ever seen! It's one thing to attack another pony, but going after a foal is the WORST thing anypony could do! Now I'm stuck on the sidelines watching my best friend wait for her daughter to wake up and there's nothing I can do to make it right! This whole thing isn't right! It's not fair!!"

When her rant was done, she froze in place, her head bowed as if defeated. Her teeth clenched in a snarling style, and her eyes shut in narrow anger. Not even her strong will could stop her from starting her wall of emotions break open more and let out some tears, nor her mane could hide her face completely.

The detective got up and stepped forward, just close enough for her hooves to come in Rainbow's lowered vision. "Rainbow Dash, I might not know from personal events, but I know from my working experience that this isn't easy for anypony," she said, sounding sympathetic. "I've seen children hurt - sometimes worse - and it never gets easier to see it happen over and over again to any foal. I am also well aware of Nyx's past and Luna's judgment onto her, and a firm believer that our Princesses know best for everypony's best well-being. How you feel is completely normal, and it shows me that you truly care about those closest to you. Seeing this shows me why you best represent the Element of Loyalty.

"I may not be able to tell you how to feel or react, but I do ask you to try and be what your friends need you to be. They will also be what you need them to be as well."

Rainbow responded with "I have my doubts," and then slowly raised her head to show her face of despair. Benson couldn't put her hoof on what she was seeing, but there was more to Rainbow Dash than she was willing to admit, just by judgment from her tones and acting.

"Miss Dash, go wherever you wish and calm yourself down," said the detective. "I have a good amount of information for your statement. If I need to know anything more I'll ask for you."

Rainbow nodded and said "Sure." She turned and started to walk away, but not before turning her head back around towards the detective. "Sorry. I didn't mean to let out my anger on you. I'm just... Lost about this, about this whole thing."

"It's alright. As I said, I have experience with these kind of behaviors. You're not the first pony to feel this way," Benson replied.

The cyan pegasus took that into though for a moment, before replying back. "I'm sorry for that, too." She then began to walk away, making her way towards a nearby window that was open. For a few seconds, her wings flared out as if she was about to take off, but she didn't. For the first time in her life, Rainbow Dash didn't want to fly off somewhere and be alone. She hated being alone. She hated leaving Twilight even more.

A gust of wind blew through the window, making the surrounding curtains wave inside. The gust came from the outside in other than the other way around, meaning that the rainbow-maned pegasus instead walked away from the window instead of leaving through it. Where she was going the detective could not guess; Rainbow Dash couldn't say either.

/)∞(\

"Let the rainbow remind you,

That together we can always shiiiiine..."

Three hours have passed by, and Twilight had just finished singing a song to Nyx. She began to do that to help time pass by, and if the filly could hear, to give her something to enjoy. After meeting Team JAG and their associated band, nearly all of Equestria began to enjoy the music that was being shared in their world, and after concerts at the Crystal Empire and the Seedrian city of Synthesis, Nyx grew to love it, too.

The alicorn had sung five songs she knew by hearts, a couple of which her Mobius friends introduced her to. If her memory was correct, one the songs was called 'Final Masquerade,' one that both mother and daughter loved after first hearing it. Spike just sat by and listened as he enjoyed Twilight's singing, jumping in to sing with her during one song. At one point, he could swear he saw Nyx's eyes twitch and her mouth crack a smile, but not long enough for Twilight to see herself.

While trying to think of another song to sing, Twilight looked over at all the equipment Nyx was hooked up to, primarily Dr. Eggman's contraption. Her vitals were shown to be steady, and the Chaos Emerald was still shining brightly as its energy could be seen still being fed into her. From what he said, the purple mare and dragon thought that the little black filly would have actually waken up by now, but they then thought their hopes were set too high and growing impatient.

Then, there was a gentle knock at the door. Spike got up and ran over to answer it, revealing the knocker being Nurse Redheart, with Detective Benson behind her. He opened the door further to let them both in, as the detective stepped up towards the bed's footer, and the nurse standing at the bed side opposite of Twilight.

"Don't mind me, Princess," Redheart said, "I'm just here to double-check on Nyx." The purple mare smiled and nodded. As the nurse began to check, she noticed the new device that was in the room, something that Princess Celestia had told her superiors and peers about just a couple hours ago. She thought to herself of how it seemed so strange, especially the gemstone glowing inside it, and what it was supposedly doing to Nyx. She didn't question it, however, and just continued with her work.

Her main focus was checking all the IVs and bandages, with only the former doing alright. "It looks like Nyx could use a few fresh bandages," she stated. "I'll run out to get some more medical supplies and be right back. Can I get anypony anything else?"

"A glass of water," the detective requested, "if you could please."

"Make that three, please," Twilight followed. The nurse nodded and made her way out the door. Once it was shut, the purple mare turned towards the pegasus to ask "Are you done with Rainbow Dash? Do you know where she is?"

"Yes, a while ago actually," Benson replied. "I'm afraid I don't know where she went off to. She almost left the hospital during my questioning, but instead stayed in the hospital."

Twilight nodded, but wore a sad expression. Rainbow was acting strange, and she couldn't put a hoof on exactly what or why. The more she would think about what was wrong with the cyan mare, the more concerned she was for her well-being. Nonetheless, she kept in mind that there were times that Rainbow Dash, as much as she would hate it, isolates herself for her own reasons, and there was no point in causing personal space invasion unless it was absolutely necessary. Twilight decided to focus on the most likeable reason for the detective's return.

"I assume you would like to start questioning me about what happened, wouldn't you?"

"Yes I would, Your Highness," said the detective.

"Alright, but..." Twilight paused to look down at her daughter. "Would you please mind waiting a few extra minutes? I'd like to sing Nyx another song, and find a pony to sit here with her."

"Don't worry about that, Twilight. I'm here and don't plan to go anywhere. If anything happens, I'll make sure you're first to know," Spike said. The Princess's number one assistant never let her down before, and he'd always step up for his family.

The alicorn smiled gratefully down at her assistant. "Thanks Spike, but I would still like to wait for that water anyway. Plus, as helpful as you are, you've barely slept since you got here. You deserve to rest as well."

To the three's surprise, the door began to open. They didn't think it would take a nurse that short of time to get what she needed, not if a patient was stable. When the door opened, a familiar rainbow-maned pegasus walked in, closed the door behind her, and stepped up to Twilight and Spike. Yet as she walked, her body language made it look as if she completely ignored the other pegasus and dragon, focusing solely on the Princess of Friendship.

"How's Nyx?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Still resting," Twilight replied. She also mentioned her starting to sing to her, and what Spike noticed during so.

Hearing that gave the cyan mare some well-needed relief, but only a small amount. She was hoping to find Nyx awake by the time she came back in. She decided to ask why Twilight started to sing some songs, and got an explanation on how they grew to enjoy music a lot more since what happened when they met their interdimensional friends. That made good sense, considering how most of Equestria had rapidly grown to enjoy what the Team JAG Band do, and why they do it.

"Have any other songs in mind to sing next? Maybe I can help out and sing with you, if I know the words at least," Rainbow offered.

The purple mare grinned at her friend's offer, appreciating so much care that was being offered. Rainbow Dash was truly the Element of Loyalty, even if it did become to feel more enhanced lately. "None off the top of my head, honestly. I'm trying to think of a brief song so I can start answering Detective Benson's questions," Twilight said, pointing a hoof towards the aforementioned pony. "I do appreciate the help, Rainbow. You're a true friend."

Just then, an idea came to her mind. She thought of a song that she remembered singing with all her friends when their cutie marks were swapped by accident. It was the perfect song to sing with some help.

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need..."

Twilight started to sing with a beautifully sweet singing voice, something that Rainbow Dash really saw in her at that moment. The pegasus then joined in with the next line.

"A friend will be there to help them see..."

Then, the two mares looked at each other, and starting to sing together.

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need

To see the light..."

"From a true,... true friend..."

All eyes in the room widened and all ears pointed up at the sound of a voice that didn't belong to anypony already conscious. Twilight and Rainbow's head both turned to the hospital bed so fast that you could hear their necks pop. What they all saw then was the biggest relief they were waiting for after hours of wearing patience and worry; the filly's two eyelids struggling to open with a small yawn. Then, they lifted over halfway up to reveal two turquoise eyes with narrow black slits that immediately seeked out Twilight. "M-Mom..."

At long last, Nyx was finally awake.

"Nyx..." Twilight smiled and started to cry happily at the sight of her awakened daughter. "Oh Nyx..." She leaned her upper body over the side of the bed, nuzzling cheek to cheek and wrapping a hoof around Nyx. "Thank Celestia you're awake."

Nyx, however, did not hug back. She remained still as her body felt tired and sore, her mind confused about what was going on. "What's going on? Where am I?"

The purple mare picked her head back up and looked down at Nyx. "You're in the Ponyville Hospital. I brought you here as quick as I could after getting you away from that crowd. You had surgery hours ago and are in recovery right now."

"That explains the needles," Nyx observed, her tone flat. The memories of what happened at the Castle of Nightmare started to come back to her, and her eyes turned sad as she looked over at her mother. "But what about you and Rainbow Dash? When I last saw you, y-you were k-kicked in the chest. I tried to say something, but then they... t-they..."

Twilight immediately leaned back down to Nyx to hug her again, receiving a tight hug in return this time. She let the filly cry on her shoulder to let it out, trying hard not to cry in sadness herself. "I'm fine, Nyx. Those ponies only knocked the wind out of me; nothing more. All that matters is that you'll be alright; you're alright now, and-"

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Mom." Nyx began to cry harder as he clung onto her mother's neck. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen. It was my fault that this happened, just like every time somepony sees me. I'm still causing you trouble. I'm sorry that I keep hurting you and everypony. I'm-"

Twilight, trying not to remove the IVs out of Nyx's arms, cautiously picked her up to hold her in her forelegs, keeping herself supported by her rear legs and the bed. She then opened her wings to wrap around her and her crying filly. "Nyx, none of this is your fault. You weren't one of the ponies trying to hurt us. Don't blame yourself for what they did, because you did not make them do it," Twilight said with a nurturing tone, trying to comfort her upset daughter.

"B-but I..."

"But nothing. You're not what those ponies saw you as; you're far greater than anypony, or any mother, could ever imagine being."

Nyx continued to cry as she kept clung in her mother's embrace. As clear as her mother sounded, her emotional pain could only heal so barely. "I- It's still not fair. You shouldn't be hurt b-because of me," she blubbered softly.

The purple mare didn't respond with words, but instead with quiet hushing sounds; anything to help calm down the crying filly. When she began to feel the grip around her loosen, she set Nyx back down on her bed so that the two can look tearful eye to tearful eye. She used her hoof to lift Nyx's head up to her and say "All that matters to me is making sure you're alright. Besides, it's taken the worst of Equestria to try and keep both of us down, but in the end, we still stand strong together. With our family and our friends, we stay strong."

"That's right," Rainbow Dash said. The cyan mare took the open door Twilight had made to help as well. She too looked at Nyx with tears in her eyes, but just a fraction compared to Twilight. "It's good to see you up, Nyx. How are you feeling?"

Nyx collected herself enough to talk clearly, but still looked as if she was crying. "My body feels a little sore, but I'm alright," she replied. This raised an important curiosity in her mind. "What kind of surgery did the doctors do?"

"They had to look over all your wounds," Twilight explained, trying to not into complete detail from Doctor Monitor's explanation. "Your wings were damaged and some bones are broken, but luckily they managed to help not make it permanent. They said recovery would take a while... That is until some of our friends sent some help."

The Princess then motioned her hoof towards Dr. Eggman's device, which Nyx took a good look at for the first time. The filly saw the IV from it run into her front right leg, and the glow that was from the energy of the Chaos Emerald. When she asked about where it came from, both Twilight and Rainbow Dash explained how Team JAG asked Eggman to help with his invention, leaving another pony to frown crossly at how that went about. Nyx felt grateful for her friends from Mobius looking out for her, more so than Twilight, but again, happiness could not be found as other thoughts flooded her mind.

"What about those ponies who attacked me?" she asked, with fear in her voice. "What if they try to hurt me again? What if they try to hurt you?" She was about to start crying again until another pony spoke up.

"You won't have to worry about that again."

All eyes turned towards the room's pegasus law officer as she stood over by the door. The little black filly looked at her strangely as she had no recollection of who this pony was. "Who are you?"

The mare wore a kind look on her face and spoke with a nice tone. "My name is Olivia. I'm a detective who will be helping you and your friends."

"Help us?"

"Yes," the detective replied. "Princess Celestia has asked me to make sure the ponies who hurt you will get punished as they should. I'm here to make sure that your family, friends, and most importantly you, will be safe."

Nyx looked up at her mother with a confused expression. "Mom," she said with much nervousness, "are we still in danger? Am I still causing-"

"No, you're not causing us any danger," Twilight assured. "The detective is here to make sure this doesn't happen again. Am I right, Detective?"

"Yes," she confirmed. "Nyx, I promise that those ponies will never hurt you or your family again. You're all in good hooves with my law force." She then looked towards Twilight to add "And Princess, you are more than free to call me Olivia, as your daughter can."

The purple mare smiled and nodded, but replied "You are very kind, Detective. Now, I know you'd like to talk to Nyx and me about what happened, but does-"

A few knocks on the door interrupted Twilight, who used her magic to open it and reveal a pair of Royal Guards. One of them stepped forward to say "A thousand pardons, Your Highness. We are here to inform Detective Benson that all of the arrested ponies are registered in criminal records and ready for interrogation." The guard then looked at the detective to say "We have come to escort you to them and begin interrogations at once, following informing Princess Celestia."

"Thank you," Olivia replied. "Report to the Princess at once. I will join you shortly."

"Of course."

The second guard noticed the filly and added "It is good to see you are alright, Nyx Sparkle. If you require anything, the Royal Guard is at your service." With that, the two departed down the hall towards the royal waiting room.

Olivia turned around to direct her attention towards Twilight and Rainbow Dash. "I have to leave Ponyville for a short while, no more than a day. I would like to meet with you, and again with Rainbow Dash, once I return, so long as you are alright with those plans, Princess."

"It is," Twilight replied. "Thank you, Dete- Olivia. Right now I wish for Nyx to rest calmly before you collect your needed statements. You may report to my castle when you return to find myself, or another who can send you the right direction."

The detective nodded, but had to say "With Nyx awake, I will have to talk to her first and foremost about what happened."

Nyx clenched into her bed sheets at the thought of having to remember. She fought against herself not to openly react, but did feel the necessity to ask "Do I have to?"

Before Twilight could reply, Rainbow Dash answered the filly with "It will help her take those punks down when that time comes in court. If you tell her all you can, then that stinkin' Silver Lining won't get anywhere near you or say all that crud to other ponies again."

Nyx looked down as she thought about what her mother's friend said, thinking about how hard it could be to think about what happened to her, let alone talk about it. How could she even try to think about it? Next to being separated from her family, it was the worst thing she would every try to handle. She didn't want to at all, but did she have a choice? It felt like she had to no matter what she'd try to argue with.

"I don't know if I can," Nyx said weakly. "I'm scared. I don't know if I can say what exactly happened."

"All she needs is your description; nothing more," Twilight said assuringly, and motioned both her own and Nyx's attention back to the detective.

Olivia wore a kind smile for the filly and said "Nyx, if you're brave enough to protect Ponyville from creatures from Everfree, then you can face these bad ponies easily. Now I must be going. I'll see you tomorrow." With that, Detective Benson exited the room and made her way down the hall.

Twilight, Spike, and Rainbow turned towards Nyx to see the filly looking around her body. She felt around with one of her hooves to find what sore spots were worse than others, any pain to distract her from mental strain. Her eyes then returned to the IV that connected her with Dr. Eggman's device, which did give her a successful distracting thought.

"Mom, how did Team JAG know about what happened?" she asked.

Twilight motioned a smiling nod towards Spike, who gave Nyx her answer. "When Princess Celestia heard about you, she told me to inform Luna and Cadance about what happened. Then, she knew that our Mobius friends would want to stay informed too, so I sent a letter to Tails and Cosmo last. They told the Master Four and suggested that Eggman help out."

"You did a great job, Spike," Twilight said to him, and gave the little dragon a little hug.

When the hug broke, he added "Leave it to Spike to get your letters where they need to be," with a bragging tone that only made the alicorn's eyes circle around.

As Rainbow Dash smirked at that, she then added "That reminds me; Twi, maybe we should see if they're at the castle." She then noticed an unexpected flinch from Nyx. "Your castle, I mean, not Night Stone Castle."

The alicorn princess gently smiled, resting a hoof on Nyx's shoulder. "You can go ahead if you want, Rainbow Dash," she said. "I don't want to leave Nyx, not unless it's absolutely necessary. Besides, everypony else said they'd check for us anyway."

"Check for who?" Nyx asked curiously.

Twilight looked down at her daughter with the same smile. "Your best friends from Mobius, of course."

/)∞(\

"Doctor, is something the matter?" Decoe asked. Both he and Bocoe just watched Eggman stare at his laptop screen.

"You haven't taken your eyes off your screen for a little while now," Bocoe said.

"It would seem that our patient has reached near full recovery," Eggman stated. He and his robots were informed of Nyx waking up from overhearing Detective Benson tell Princess Celestia about it a short time ago. Up until then, he checked her vitals on occasion as he shared the room with Equestria's ruler, on-and-off conversation engaged between himself and her. When she left, his focus remained on Nyx's vitals via wireless connection between his computer and his healing device through Chaos readings. "Interesting creatures, these ponies; Nyx seems to have adapted to the Chaos Emerald's energy better than my knowledge acquired by Tails predicted."

"That sounds like a good thing, Dr. Eggman," Decoe said.

The Doctor nodded with a grunt. "It is, but it seems that the alicorn race has better adaptability with the emerald's energy than other ponies."

Confused by how the Doctor addressed that, Bocoe asked "Why is that?"

Before Eggman could reply, his screen changed from reading Nyx's health rates and vitals to a red screen with black letters that flashed two messages: 'Incoming Transmission,' and 'Team JAG Headquarters.'

He adjusted his position on the pony-sized sofa for comfort before setting the laptop down on his legs and adjusting the screen so that the built-in camera would focus on his head and shoulders. Following that, he entered a keycode that allowed the transmission to make its way through. The screen's image then changed to four different squares, each revealing a member of the Master Four of Team JAG, who were all in actuality sitting in the same room.

"Dr. Eggman," Gohan said first, "how are things in Equestria?"

"What? No 'hello' or 'how are you, Doctor'?" Eggman said sarcastically.

Jason only smirked at him and replied "We’re sorry, Eggman. Nyx is our main concern right now, a safe excuse to ignore some 'formalities' if I say so myself."

The Doctor just nodded with his usual, devilish grin. "Your small equine friend woke up about an hour ago, almost at full recovery. She should be able to be released from this hospital within the next twenty-four hours, but I think these doctors here will keep her for at least forty-eight."

"I think that's fair,” Ash stated. "We did send you unannounced, an act of haste on our part. It is best that we follow their direction if Nyx shows signs of being alright."

"More so than you think," Eggman said, his tone turning very serious. He then went on to explain about how his surprise at the small alicorn's adaptation to his device and her recovering with the Chaos Emerald aiding everything. He also explained Celestria's personally chosen law officer to investigate what happened and take the case to court. The last thing he mentioned was the confusing behavior of a certain cyan champion flyer.

"So Rainbow Dash is acting nervous, paranoid and fierce, but also devoted and caring for Twilight and Nyx?" Jason pondered aloud. "Sounds to me like her Element of Harmony is being put on display, even if others have told us some things..."

Eggman arched an eyebrow at the dark warrior's last comment. "What do you mean by that?"

"I'm afraid we can't say too much about it," Yugi replied. "We were asked to make a Pinkie Pie Promise to keep it secret."

"I see," replied the Doctor. His mind still pondered what exactly was going on with Rainbow Dash, but he diverted the conversation to another topic. "In regards to my 'contributions,' Princess Celestia has agreed to excuse my sudden intrusion because of that bookworm Twilight's approval, but in exchange asked that it would not happen again. We agreed that a notice of arrival must be done, unless we're summoned."

His two robots looked at him confused. "But Dr. Eggman, didn't we come here because the Princess did send for us?" Bocoe asked.

"Technically, no you weren't," Gohan said. He then explained how they were just informed of what happened, and that it was the Master Four who had Eggman report to Equestria.

"That makes sense now," Decoe stated after Gohan had finished. "But now what do we do with Nyx almost healed?"

The Master Four pondered the question themselves for a moment, but it was Jason who spoke up first. "When you're all set and done, you're free to return home, but if they require your expertise, Dr. Eggman, would you be willing to stay longer?"

Eggman pulled up the screen of Nyx's vitals to check on, and made it so that the Master Four could see it as well. "According to my calculations, she won't need more of my assistance in just a short while. By the time I need to go, Tails and Cosmo will be able to see her. Speaking of which, I assume they're already in this dimension, correct?"

"Yes," Yugi replied. "We'll let them know that they can visit the Ponyville Hospital when they see fit."

"Eggs-cellent," punned the Doctor. "Now, is there anything else that should be covered?"

The four looked at one-another for ideas, and it was Ash who nodded to have them turn back to face Eggman. "Actually, Doctor, we were wondering if you learned anything about the ponies who attacked Nyx, or their leader Silver Lining."

/)∞(\

A hoof tapped on the table inside of a small room where a pony began to show signs of impatience. Silver Lining had been escorted into an interrogation room after being registered at Canterlot's law enforcement headquarters, the Equestria Police Department, or EqPD for short. It was established for law enforcers who were not of royal guard title, serving under princesses and guard captains alike, and only a select few was chosen for the multiple divisions; this included the Special Victims Unit.

Olivia flew towards the room, reading a folder of paperwork filled out by the arresting guards. By the time she reached her destination, she had read all she would need to know and landed on the ground with the folder tucked underneath her wing. She walked through the entrance and found Princess Celestia and Princess Luna standing by a large window, where they were looking at Silver Lining inside the interrogation room.

"Your Highnesses," greeted the detective.

Luna replied first with "Hello, Detective Benson. We assume you are here to speak with Nyx's architect of assault." The detective nodded. "Excellent. Now we can look deeper into the reasons this stallion chose to disregard our judgment and make his proclamations against the Royal Court and the Elements of Harmony."

Celestia rested a hoof on her sister's shoulder. "Yes, Luna, but let us only spectate."

The dark blue alicorn's head turned to show a confused look. "Why, sister? You are well aware that royalty can stand within the borders of an interrogated criminal, if the actions of the latter specifically targets royal family."

"I am aware of that, little sister, for I helped officiate these laws," the older alicorn replied. "The reason I don't want us to get too involved is the borders of the court. It has been a long time since some laws were established, and not all ponies look at that law justifiably anymore. If either of us get too close to this, then it can hurt us in the long run."

The younger sister frowned. She really wanted to get herself involved in bringing Nyx's attackers to justice, especially so for Silver Lining. After all, it was because of her that Nyx remains an Equestrian resident and not banished to the moon as Nightmare Moon, thus making those who harmed the filly doubters of a decision she made. Nyx may have been born from the ritual by the Children of Nightmare, but Nightmare Moon came to be by the jealousy and hatred that manifested in Luna's heart, which made Nyx's judgment Luna's responsibility. Seeing other ponies disagree with her decisions, without fitting reasons, made her mad and try to find the reasons they had.

The princess sighed defeatedly and said "Very well, I will only spectate." Her attention then faced Olivia to say "If I may say, Detective, I have no doubt in your abilities seeing as my sister hired you personally. However, I implore you to use any and all of your tactics to get all the information you can."

"Of course, Princess," Olivia replied. "I only try to do no less than my best." After calling for a guard to stand by the door, she stood at the window, staring down at the hoof-tapping stallion. She saw him in that earlier in the very same position, without his tapping hoof, which told the detective that he began to feel bored or impatient. Following another minute of watching him, she entered the room, and slammed the door shut with a hindleg.

"Silver Lining, correct?" Olivia said, throwing her folder down on the table with his records open. "So you're the one who's made a name for himself rallying ponies in protest across Equestria lately."

"I wouldn't refer to all of my gatherings as 'protests,'" Silver replied coldly.

"Really?" She dug through a few sheets of the folder's content and put some out for full display. "Just last week in Las Pegasus, a group of ponies walked down the streets and repeatedly saying that 'Nighmare Moon must fall' while led by a pony with your description. Two months before that, you were identified disturbing the peace in Appleoosa when you claimed 'this one filly will force your crops to wither away right after you.' Right in between those times, in Manehattan, you stood on top of a soap box in Bridleway trying to discredit upcoming shows because of connections with a fashion designer connected to Princess Twilight."

The stallion looked down at the presented paperwork for a brief moment, turned his focus back up at the detective to say "I was well within my rights."

"Yes, but your reasons don't exactly support your actions."

"I beg to differ. Equestria has a dangerous threat roaming around and nopony is raising the needed concern."

Detective Benson stared coldly at him and said "And that threat is a filly? The daughter of Princess Twilight-"

"The 'adopted' child of the possessed 'Princess'; Nighmare Moon." Silver Lining's rude interruption continued on as he said "Someone had to remind ponies that this problem exists to look out for our safety."

"Confronting a filly, her mother and a friend outside to the point of attacking a defenseless child isn't the ideal way to deal with a problem," the detective said. "There are better ways to handle threats, but not when it was already dealt with."

"You mean the judgment passed on from the mare that was once the threat to Nightmare Reincarnate?"

"Exactly. Why don't you tell me you didn't just accept that and take it in your own hooves to attack royalty?"

"Like I said; nopony else was doing anything about it, so I did. It isn't a secret that the pony who passes herself off as a filly named Nyx was the same villain that imprisoned Celestia and Luna in the sun and moon, conquered Equestria as its new Queen and brought forth eternal night for weeks, imprisoned her 'mother' and 'friends' in a dungeon, and brainwashed hundreds of ponies to follow her command. After so long I couldn't accept the reality of it all anymore, how that monster did all that and was just slapped on the forehoof in the end. I decided to do my part for my fellow ponies and bring the truth to light, that we are in danger every single day as Nightmare roams among us, and I wasn't alone thinking that."

When Silver Lining concluded his little speech, Olivia stared down at him again. She put on the most disgusted attitude she could allow and say "So you gather ponies on private property - property of royalty - and declare the Elements of Harmony and the Princesses under a 'blessing' that open an imaginary door of terror, and assault a defenseless filly?"

The stallion wore a grin, a devilish and satisfying grin, allowing himself a moment to bask in the accomplishment of his actions. It wasn't exactly what he had dreamed of, but progress of any kind was better than his efforts never showing worth. "She brought it upon herself. I only did what I could to keep us ponies safe from a relapsing nightmare."

Olivia then began to show a grin herself, one that would help put the stallion scum in his place. "Well, would you like to know where she is now? She's in the hospital, awake and healing well. Your actions earned what they deserve; nothing but what you deserve."

The smirk on Silver Lining's face withered into a cross frown, and his eyes narrowed as if he was bested by those who didn't deserve success. He knew that his work wasn't done, but now he knew he was in no position for success since Nightmare Moon was not in any likeable condition. He had to play a trump card held in his hoof just in case things would go so far down that he couldn't play a better hand in the future. Calmly, collectively and coldly, he stared back at the detective and said the words that would end the conversation right there and then-

"I want a lawyer."