• Published 29th Aug 2015
  • 23,589 Views, 1,689 Comments

I'll Do Anything for You - The Abyss



Twilight and Rainbow have just started a new life with their newly-adopted daughter, Scootaloo, but the filly’s old parents have returned with a vengeance.

  • ...
115
 1,689
 23,589

Complications

Why do I still feel so cold? Twilight thought, flipping over onto her other side as a rough cough forced itself past her lips. Even though she had loads of blankets on top of her, her wings and the tips of her hooves felt as if she’d stuck them in snow for an hour. She blearily cracked her eyes open and felt her head throb as light streamed in through the windows, reminding her of that dull pain that had been with her for the last day; at least it didn’t feel like somepony was driving a nail into her horn anymore. “R-Rainbow?” she croaked out.

Twilight tensed up as she felt Rainbow twitch against her side. But... she’s snuggling with me. Why don’t I feel her against my wing? She threw the sheets off of her and rolled out of bed, wobbling on her hooves before she collapsed, the side of her head smacking against the nightstand. Tears erupted in her eyes as she cried out in pain. Her vision filled with stars as she curled up into a ball, her left wing pinned in an awkward position between her and the hard, crystal floor. “Why, why, why?!” she groaned, hitting the bed frame with her right front hoof. Twilight expected pain but felt a light tingly numbness instead. Her eyebrows furrowed as she held her hoof in front of her, staring at it as if it had changed in some way. Hearing Rainbow move around on the bed above her, she glanced up to see a concerned look on her marefriend’s face.

“What’re you doin’ down there, Twi?” Rainbow asked with a sleepy-sounding giggle, cocking her head to the side. “If my snuggling skills needed some work, you coulda just...” She blinked a few times as her vision came into focus, noticing that tears were streaming down Twilight’s face. Rainbow felt her heart drop into her stomach. She flapped her wings once and lay down around her marefriend, wrapping her in her forelegs. Rainbow rocked back and forth, feeling Twilight go limp in her grasp. “Everything okay?” she asked softly, feeling Twilight bury her muzzle into her neck. Yeah... that’d be a no. “Let’s get you back up on the bed and then I’ll go find Cadence, okay? I’m sure that she can help.” She felt Twilight nod, so she tightened her grasp on her and lifted them back up onto the bed. She placed a few pillows around Twilight’s back, and as she stood up and turned around to go fetch Cadence, she felt Twilight weakly wrap a hoof around her hind leg.

“W-Wait.”

“...Ok.” Rainbow flopped back down on the bed, then dragged the blankets back over them with her teeth. “Uh... what’s up?” she tentatively asked. “Were my snuggles pretty bad?” she asked with a nervous laugh, hoping to dissolve the tension hanging in the air. “I hope I didn’t kick you out of bed in my sleep.” She felt something tickle her stomach, so she rolled over and reached down with a hoof, pulling out a couple of large, purple feathers. Hold on a minute...

Twilight slowly shook her head. “No, Rainbow, it’s... something else.” She licked her dry lips, and as her ears flicked back, she locked eyes with Rainbow and wrapped a hoof around hers, praying for any semblance of feeling. She hoped that the mere touch would restore the sensation of Rainbow’s soft fur gracing hers, but all she felt was a cold numbness. She spread her wings wide, hoping to feel the cool touch of the air tickling her feathers, but felt nothing.

“Twilight, your wing!” Rainbow exclaimed, her eyes going wide.

“What about it?” Twilight looked to the left and gasped. Her wing was missing more than a few feathers, and the rest were tattered or out of place. She struggled to find her voice again, and when she did, she pushed herself towards Rainbow and awkwardly wrapped her forelegs around her neck, her wings limply laying out at her sides. “I... I can’t feel my hooves or wings, Dash,” Twilight croaked out in between sobs. “I’m so scared; I don’t know what to do!”

As much as she wanted to stay by Twilight’s side and comfort her as much as possible, Rainbow knew she had to get her help, and fast. “Twilight, I promise I’ll be right back, okay? I’ll be gone a minute tops!” she said, nuzzling Twilight’s cheek. “Okay?” she asked again, a little more forcefully this time. Twilight nodded, then wrapped her forelegs around a pillow and laid her head on top of it. Rainbow galloped out of the room, their bedroom door slamming against the wall. Where the heck is Cadence’s bedroom?! she thought, her head whipping every which way. She slowed down to a trot, every fiber of her being screaming at her to go faster. Oh, there it is! she thought as she recognized a large wood door. She darted past the two guards keeping watch outside the royal bedchambers, ignoring their cries of protest as she burst inside a short hallway with a single door at the other end, making her take pause; she expected to find Cadence’s bed, not some empty hallway.

“Are you mad?” one of the guards asked as they grabbed Rainbow’s right foreleg. “The princess and her husband are not to be disturbed!”

Rainbow fought to rip her leg from the guard’s grasp, but it only tightened. “You don’t understand! Twilight’s in trouble, and we need Cadence right now!” she screamed at the top of her lungs. “Cadence!” The door at the end of the hallway creaked open, revealing none other than the pony she so desperately needed. “Cadence, it’s Twilight! Something’s wrong!” she said as the princess trotted up to them.

Cadence’s eyes went wide. “What do you mean?” she asked as she nodded at the guard to release Rainbow.

As the guard’s grasp loosened, Rainbow pulled her leg free and huffed at him. “I don’t know what’s wrong. She’s been feeling a little off, and I think she’s getting worse!” Rainbow turned and galloped down the hallway, ignoring Cadence’s next question. She heard Cadence and the guards follow close behind. Rainbow slowed down to a trot, then walked inside her bedroom, her tail flicking from side to side as her heart raced in her chest. “She told me she can’t feel her hooves or her wings,” she said as Cadence trotted inside the room. “And she’s lost some feathers, too!”

Cadence’s throat tightened as she took in Twilight’s pale appearance. “Oh dear...” she quickly whispered, lifting a trembling hoof to her lips. Time seemed to slow down before she heard hoofsteps behind her. She glanced over her shoulder and saw Shining pause inside the doorway, his mane a complete mess. “Shining, go fetch the doctor. Twilight needs him!”

“Wait, what’s wrong? She was fine when I brought her here last night!” Shining said, puzzled as he rubbed his eyes with a hoof.

“There’s no time, dear!” Cadence snapped, pushing him out of the room with a wing. “Go, run!”

“Fine, I’m going, I’m going!” Shining said before lighting his horn, disappearing in a bright flash of magic.

“Guards! Notify the nurses that we need the infirmary wing prepped at once!” Cadence looked back towards Twilight and trotted up to the bed, brushing some of Twilight’s mane back behind her ear as she lay down next to her. “Good morning, little one...” she said with a soft smile, hoping to project an overwhelming feeling of calmness, something that she felt little of herself. “You have nothing to worry about; we have the best doctors around.” She rubbed Twilight’s back with a hoof, right in between her wings. “Can you feel this?” she asked softly.

“Y-Yes,” Twilight whispered, lifting her head from the pillow as she heard a magical pop, like somepony had just teleported around them. Her vision immediately grew blurry and her headache doubled in intensity. She flicked her ears up, hoping to hear the comforting voice of her marefriend again, but she had no such luck. “Rainbow? I-I’m... so cold,” she murmured, fairly certain that she’d heard her speak a few moments ago. She closed her eyes as she fought to stay awake, but it was all for naught as every sensation slipped away.

Rainbow's eyes went wide as she watched Twilight collapse. She ran over to the bed and placed her forelegs on the edge of the bed, fearing the worst. “Is... Is she—” Her eyes darted between Twilight and Cadence, the tips of her wings bristling in dread.

“No, she just passed out,” Cadence said, holding a hoof against the side of Twilight’s neck. Her ears perked up as she heard somepony arguing with her husband. As the sounds of squeaky wheels came ever closer, her head whipped up just in time to see Shining push a gurney inside the room at breakneck speed, a startled stallion still in his pajamas gripping the sheets for dear life.

“I got the doctor!” Shining said as they screeched to a halt beside Twilight’s bed. “So can anypony fill me in with what’s happening?” he asked, sitting down beside the bed.

The doctor rolled off of the gurney with a groan, but after a couple of moments, he straightened up and gave a quick bow to Cadence. “Princess, I came as soon as I heard I was needed,” he said, staring daggers at Shining for a couple seconds. “While I don’t appreciate being dragged out of bed and teleported to the other side of town, I give you my word that I will do everything I can to ensure Princess Twilight’s health.” He lit his horn and lifted Twilight onto the gurney and promptly pushed it out of the room with a couple of guards following him.

Cadence let out a deep sigh as she rubbed her temple with a hoof. “Did you really drag him out of bed?” she asked, lifting a sole eyebrow as she eyed her husband.

“Well... yeah.” Shining rubbed the back of his head with a hoof. “You said to get the doctor and pushed me out of the room! I thought it was a life and death situation!” he said, gesturing about in the air with his front hooves. “And this is my little sister we’re talking about here; there was no way I was going to gallop all the way across town and back with a half-awake pony. That would have taken way too long!”

“I see your point, but I would appreciate it if you would use a little more tact next time,” Cadence said, her shoulders slumping. “Did you at least explain to him what’s going on?”

“Uh... no? How could I? I still have no idea what’s going on; all I know is that Twilight is sick, and you told me to get the doctor.” Shining stood up and held his head high. “I’m sorry that I acted without thinking, dear...” he spoke softly, leaning forward to nuzzle Cadence’s cheek. “My military training just took over; I promise I’ll do better next time.”

“Let’s hope there’s not going to be a next time,” Cadence said with a light smile, giving into Shining’s insistent nuzzles.

“Yeah, definitely.”

Rainbow cleared her throat. “So... what now?”

Cadence slipped off of the bed and nodded towards the door. “Now we wait. Come on, the infirmary is this way.”

“Is she going to be okay?” Rainbow fell into step behind Cadence and Shining, following them out into the hallway.

“Only time will tell.”

“You know I’m not going to leave her side, right?” Rainbow asked.

Cadence grinned and pulled Rainbow close with a wing. “I wouldn’t expect anything else.”


Where am I? Twilight thought, trying to remember the last thing she saw before everything went dark. Her headache wasn’t as bad as before; in fact, she barely felt any sort of pain whatsoever, save for her horribly dry throat. A blissful warmth surrounded her entire being in contrast to the numbness that she’d past felt. She tensed her neck muscles, pushing her head back only to realize that it was tucked in the nook of Rainbow’s neck. Is she... Twilight moved her right foreleg outwards, but felt a warm leg kept her forelegs tucked gently against her chest. Heh, she is, just like when we were back in Scootaloo’s hospital room...

Twilight let loose a soft huff as she shifted about, rolling over so that she and Rainbow were muzzle to muzzle. Feeling Rainbow’s wing tighten its grasp on her back, she nuzzled the tip of Rainbow’s nose, mostly certain that her marefriend was already awake. “Hey, you...” she murmured with a soft smile.

Rainbow’s eyes snapped open wide, then she relaxed. “Hey...” Rainbow said, letting her hoof come to rest on the side of Twilight’s face. She tilted her head and swooped in, stealing a quick, tender kiss from Twilight’s lips. “I’m glad that you’re finally up,” she said as she folded her wing back against her side.

“How long have I been asleep?” Twilight asked, feeling Rainbow rub her side with a hoof. “And what time is it?”

“Almost three days, and it’s ten in the morning. You’ve had everyone worried sick, me most of all.”

Twilight’s breath caught in her throat. “I’ve been asleep for almost three days? Seriously?” Rainbow nodded. “Sweet Celestia... Was it really that bad?” she asked, noticing the look of concern that sat plainly on Rainbow’s face. Rainbow nodded again.

“...Yeah, kinda.”

“Do they know what’s wrong with me?” Twilight breathlessly asked.

“I think. The doctor said some mumbo-jumbo that I didn’t really understand, but Cadence broke it down for me. Since you used that spell teleporting us out of danger, your immune system was pretty weak, and you caught some sort of infection or disease... somehow.”

“O-Oh. Am I infectious? You just kissed me, and you could catch what I—”

“No, it’s not infectious, that’s why I kissed you just now,” Rainbow said with a quick laugh. “Have you ever been sick like this before?”

“No, I haven’t, and I don’t remember reading about anything like this.”

Rainbow glanced off to the side. “Do you think it’s due to you not being able to use magic right now?”

Twilight wilted. “I don’t know, and I don’t want to think about that.”

Rainbow wrapped her front hooves around Twilight’s and held them tightly. “Hey, don’t worry; it’ll come back! In the meantime, your wing is still a little messed up, but I can fix that in a jiffy.” She pushed the sheets off of them and slid down the bed a little bit until she sat near Twilight’s rump. “Wing please,” she said with a soft smile, holding out her hooves.

Twilight carefully extended her left wing for Rainbow, her eyes lighting up as she felt Rainbow’s soft touch grace her feathers. “Hey, I felt that!” she said, perking up a bit. Her ears flicked up as a nervous, though excited, grin broke out on her face.

“Yeah? That’s great!” Rainbow ran her hoof along the leading edge of Twilight’s wing, feeling her heart throb with joy. “What about that?” she asked, cocking her head to the side.

“Mhm! It still feels a little tingly, but it’s not numb like it used to be.” Twilight fell silent as Rainbow went to work, placing her feathers back in order and licking them clean. She wrapped her hooves around a pillow and pulled it close, laying her head upon it and letting her eyes drift shut.

After a couple minutes, Rainbow paused. “Can I pluck broken feathers out if I need to?” she hesitantly asked, eyeing a feather broken halfway down its length.

“Is it absolutely necessary?” Twilight asked, cracking her eyes open.

“...Yeah. They have to come out so new ones can grow back.” Rainbow’s tail swished around, knowing that she was about to make her hurt.

“They? As in more than one?” Twilight took a deep breath, then nodded. “I know they have to come out, but... please do so as gently as you can. Plucking feathers hurts...” She ran her hooves over her face as she groaned. “Ugh... Why didn’t you do this when I was passed out?” she asked with a terse laugh.

“Because the doctor said it wasn’t a good idea.” Rainbow rubbed Twilight’s back with a hoof, then leaned in close to the base of the broken feather. “You ready? This is a large flight feather, so it’ll hurt a little.”

Twilight nodded once and gripped the pillow tightly. “You know you’re an awesome marefriend for doing this, right?” she asked, hoping to delay the inevitable.

“Mhm...” Rainbow took great care in biting down near the base of the feather, then plucked it out with a quick jerk of her head. She winced at Twilight’s soft gasp, spat the feather out, then held her hoof over the small hole until it stopped bleeding. “We’ve still got a couple more to go, Twi... I know it hurts, but I’ll be as gentle as I can.”

“I know you will... Anyways, I was wondering why I was so warm when I woke up,” Twilight whispered as she blushed a little, feeling Rainbow wrap her lips around another broken feather. “You were snuggling with me like when we first brought Scootaloo to the—”

“Hospital,” Rainbow said, finishing Twilight’s sentence as she spat out the feather. “I thought you’d appreciate it.” Huh, no blood this time...

Twilight bit down on her bottom lip she felt Rainbow latch onto the base of the last feather that had to come out. “You sure this is the last one?”

Rainbow sat back. “As far as I can tell, yeah. I don’t see any other broken feathers. Your other wing looked fine, so I preened that one while you were out.” Rainbow felt Twilight’s wing trembling in her hooves. “This is just a small one, so it shouldn’t hurt that bad. You ready?”

“Yeah, do it.” A second passed before she felt Rainbow’s hot breath grace her wing, her eyes clenching shut as the feather was yanked out.

“There we go...” Rainbow rubbed Twilight’s back again, then gently folded Twilight’s wing back against her side. “It’ll take some time for the feathers to grow back, so just be careful if you have to fly; your balance might be a little off.” She flopped back down next to Twilight and shot her a comforting grin. “So... you hung—” She let loose a surprised squeak as Twilight darted forward, planting her lips against hers. As Twilight’s tongue teased her lips, silently begging entrance, Rainbow’s eyes drifted shut as she felt Twilight’s hoof drift around to the back of her head. She melted into the kiss, feeling her heart pulse with pure, unbridled love as Twilight’s warm breath tickled her muzzle. Parting her lips, their tongues danced to a silent tango, one that sent a furious blush to Rainbow’s cheeks and made her mind go all fuzzy.

Their lips eventually parted, a small bridge of saliva connecting them for the briefest of moments. Twilight panted softly, her cheeks matching Rainbow’s deep blush. She wrapped her freshly-preened wing around Rainbow, tugged her close, then tucked her head underneath Rainbow’s chin. “I love you, Rainbow. I have no idea what I’d do without you...” she whispered.

Rainbow’s blush doubled as her heart pulsed even harder, almost to the point where, if she looked down, she’d be able to see it throbbing against her chest. “I love you too, Twilight,” she said, her voice filled with as much adoration, love, and affection as she could put into it.