• Published 31st Jul 2015
  • 4,997 Views, 139 Comments

An Inkling Of Friendship - Green Akers



Tired of constant conflict with the Octarians over a shrinking continent, the Inklings go searching for a new land to colonize. They find Equestria instead.

  • ...
6
 139
 4,997

R-R-Redeployment?!

"So that there's Inkopolis, huh?" Applejack whistled in amazement at she stared at the the city's tall buildings and tangled web of highways. "Well, butter me up and call me a fritter! This place might be bigger than Manehattan."

"Really?" Rarity's ears perked up. "I wonder how many proper cultural centers this city has. Tell me, Danielle, what does Inkopolis have in the way of, say, museums?"

"Oh, we've got a great museum!" Danielle replied. "It's got this big open space in the center that's just perfect for ink battles."

"Ink battles?" Rarity recoiled in horror. "You mean you fling ink around recklessly in the presence of fine art?!"

"Wait... They have art in that museum?" Danielle gave Brianna a confused look.

"Sure they do," Brianna replied. "You know that big Inkling statue we always climb to set up ambushes?"

"Oh yeah!" Danielle recalled. "I never noticed that was an Inkling."

Rarity's mouth fell open. "And they call the Octarians savages?" she whispered to Twilight.

Twilight chuckled. "Danielle, you'd better contact your commander one more time," she advised. "Ask them where they'd like us to land, and, well, make sure they're preparing to greet us and not kill us."

"Good idea," Danielle agreed. "Craig, come with me—I need someone to power the radio."

"I can do that!" Tommy volunteered, bouncing up from his chair. "Craig looks too relaxed—I'd hate to harsh his mellow or anything."

Brianna rolled her eyes. "You got enough strength in those toothpicks of yours to turn the crank?" she asked pointedly.

Tommy sighed but decided not to respond, and silently followed Danielle down into the hatch. "That wasn't very nice," Twilight observed. "He was only trying to help."

"Yeah, he's a big help around here," Brianna grumbled.

"What've you got against Tommy anyhow?" Applejack inquired. "He seems like a nice enough feller."

"You mean, besides the fact that he's a pencil-necked pansy who doesn't know one end of his gun from the other?" Brianna turned her head and spit over the side of the boat. "Nothing."

"Surely he can't be as incompetent as you say," Rarity argued. "A military organization such as yours must have stringent standards for its members."

"You would think," Brianna replied. "Unfortunately, the big brass were so desperate to find more land that they dug deep into the JIB ranks to fill out all their search teams, which means I get stuck with scrubs like Tommy-come-lately and this bozo here." She jerked a thumb towards Craig, who was lost in whatever was playing in his headphones and wasn't paying attention.

"So Tommy hasn't been a soldier very long," Twilight surmised.

"He hasn't been much of anything very long," Brianna said. "He just started showing up for ink battles about eight months ago, trying to be a charger user just like his twin brother Trevor. Unlike Tommy, though, Trev's been battling as long as I have, and and can actually hit someone once in a while. Tommy's aim is so bad that when Scooty-Fruity shot me in the face—"

"Scootaloo," Twilight corrected Brianna.

"Whatever. Anyway, that was the first squid I'd seen that gun hit since... Well, since Trevor was using it." Brianna folded her arms and looked over the side of the boat at the buildings below. "If he really wanted to help," she concluded, "he'd be holed up in some science lab designing new weapons or something, but no, he's out here where I have to babysit him."

"Why is he out here?" Twilight asked. "He claims he's here to study new cultures and—"

"Oh, he wants to study something, all right." Brianna turned back and glared in the direction of the ship's hatch. "And as long as I'm around, studying is all he'd better do."

"I see." Twilight looked over at Craig. "And what's your problem with—"

"Him?" Brianna turned her glare on Craig. "Well, just look at him! He smells like a dumpster, he dresses like a flower shop, and above all, he doesn't have enough brains to even know where he is half the time, and even when he does, he doesn't seem to care!" She reached over and lifted one side of Craig's headphones off of his ear. "Hey, Magnum P.U.!"

Craig calmly turned his head to Brianna. "What's the good word, bro?"

Brianna pointed at Fluttershy. "That pony just said that yo momma is so fat, the post office assigned her her own zip code!"

"Eep!" Fluttershy's face turned red. "Oh no, I didn't say anything like—"

Craig shrugged. "My great-great-grandfather was a pufferfish," he explained, patting his belly. "All the cats on that side of the family look a little large, especially after we eat."

"You see?!" Brianna threw up her hands as Craig put his headphones back on. "No reaction, no fire, nothing!"

"No filter, no tact, nothin'," Applejack whispered to Rarity in response, drawing a small, dainty giggle from the unicorn.

The conversation ended when Danielle reappeared on deck. "So far, so good," she reported. "The High Council put together a full diplomatic welcome for 'our esteemed Inkling sisters who cast off the yoke of pony oppression,' so we'll need to put the boat down in the harbor to meet it."

"Not a problem," Twilight said with a smile.

"Oh, and one other thing," Danielle continued. "Since Twilight Sparkle is an evil pony princess, I, uh, had to think of a new name for you, so... I hope you're okay with being 'Dusk Shine' for a while."

Twilight sighed. "I guess I'll have to be."

"Good." Danielle pointed off to the west. "The harbor's on the far side of town, so if you could steer the boat over that way..."


Once the harbor came into view, the boat's designated landing spot became fairly obvious to spot. The High Council had literally rolled out the red carpet all the way to Dock #41 for their visitors, and the welcoming party included a full color guard, a twenty-piece brass band, and several companies of soldiers in full military dress lining each side of the carpet. "Those aren't JIBs, either," Brianna pointed out. "Those are, like, real battle-tested splatoons waiting for us."

"Land sakes," Applejack remarked. "We don't get this kind of reception anywhere in Equestria."

"Well, we haven't had an official foreign diplomat visit since before the Great Turf Wars," Tommy pointed out. "That, combined with the fact—well, the appearance of fact—that you six are the first non-continental Inklings ever discovered, makes this a pretty big deal."

"Well, let's not keep these guys in suspense any longer!" Rainbow said. "Put 'er down, Pinkie!"

"...Er, but gently, if you could," Fluttershy added.

"Okey dokie lokie!" Pinkie smiled, pulled out a giant pair of scissors, and raced around the boat cutting the ropes that connected the boat and balloon.

"What are you—aaaaahhhhhhh!" everyone screamed as the boat plummeted back to earth, hitting the water with a splash and sending a huge wave up onto shore that soaked—and splatted—the color guard and half the woodwind section of the band. As the other Inklings on shore gasped and scattered, Pinkie cartwheeled across the deck, flipped over the side of the boat, and stuck a perfect landing on the dock. "Inkopowopodopolis, we have landed!" she proclaimed with a big smile.

"Nice job, Pinkie," Applejack muttered sarcastically as the Inklings on shore stared wide-eyed and slack-jawed at Pinkie. "That ought to make us a good first impression."

After a few awkward moments of staring, a female Inkling with faded blue head tentacles finally stepped onto the dock and approached the boat. "Princess Shine?" the Inkling asked Pinkie. "I'm Petunia Porgy, head of the Inkopolis High Council's newly-formed Committee on International Relations, and on behalf of our fair city—"

"Princess Shine?" Pinkie cocked her head to the side. "We don't have a Princess Shine, silly! But we do have a Princess Twi—"

"Pinkie!" Twilight rushed onto the dock and pushed in front of Pinkie. "I'm Princess Shine," Twilight said. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mrs. Porgy."

"Um... It's... Very nice to meet you too, miss," Petunia stammered. She smiled awkwardly and shot a confused look back at a few of the Inklings on shore, who just shrugged in response.

Oh, right. She has no idea what we're saying, Twilight deduced. "Er... Danielle?" she called back to the boat. "Would you mind translating our introductions for the others?"

"I can do that." Danielle hopped off the boat and pushed past both Pinkie and Twilight. "Councilwoman Porgy, this is Princess Dusk Shine of Equestria, and this is her, well, eccentric friend Pinkie Pie," Danielle explained. "They're both happy to meet you, and..." She cast a glance at the splatted remains of the color guard. "They're sorry about the rough landing."

Petunia stared quizzically at Danielle. "And you are...?"

"Me? Um, I'm Danielle, the, uh, splatoon leader for this mission."

"I see." The councilwoman's smile faded. "Be a dear and tell the princess and her envoy—there are seven of them, correct?—to follow me back inside for a few photo ops and an introductory press conference. You and your team can wait here by the boat for further instructions."

"Wait by the boat!?" Danielle exclaimed. "But—"

"Oh no you don't!" Brianna shoved her way to the front of the line, knocking Pinkie into the water in the process. "I am not letting these 'Inklings' out of my sight for one second!" she declared, wagging her finger in Petunia's face. "These are dangerous individuals, and they require a military escort at all times, for both their safety and ours!"

"Miss McBream!" Petunia pointed at where Pinkie had landed in the water. "Thanks to your usual tact and considerateness, you have already splatted one of our visitors and strained our relations with—"

"She'll be fine," Brianna interrupted. "At this point, I'd be more surprised if she wasn't waterproof than if she was."

Right on cue, Pinkie leaped up out of the water like a dolphin and belly-flopped onto the dock. "Wheeeeee!" she squealed. "That was fun!"

Petunia sighed. "When this is over, I will have a word with your commanding officer about your attitude," she growled at Brianna. "Now Miss Diane, please tell—"

"It's Danielle, ma'am."

"Whatever. Please instruct our visitors to follow me on shore." Petunia smiled at Twilight. "Don't worry, princess, you and your envoy are in good hands!"

Twilight didn't return the councilwoman's smile. "Tell Mrs. Porgy that we've grown quite comfortable with you four as our translators," she told Danielle, "and that we'd like to keep you around for the duration of our visit. Fluttershy, you're the only one who can converse with the Inklings, so just keep quiet for now."

"Okay," Fluttershy agreed. "Keeping quiet is what I do best."

Danielle cleared her throat and looked Petunia in the eye. "With all due respect, Councilwoman, the princess says that she would prefer that we stay with her to act as official translators. We're the only Inklings who can communicate with Princess Shine and her friends, so—"

"General Guppy has several excellent translators on his staff," Petunia proclaimed. "I'm confident this language barrier will not be an issue."

"But they're our guests," Danielle countered. "Shouldn't we be, like, honoring their wishes or something?"

Petunia chuckled. "They just don't know any better," she replied. "Once they see how much more comfortable they are in the hands of a professional hosting staff instead of an untrained JIB team, they'll be just fine."

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Apparently being a princess doesn't get you a whole lot around here."

"Well, ain't this a fine bucket of apples," Applejack grumbled. "I say we don't move from this spot until they let us stick together!"

"That sounds like a good idea to me," Twilight agreed.

"Now girls," Rarity spoke up, "let's not lose our heads here. There are much more delicate ways of getting our point across." She turned to Danielle. "I overheard Craig yesterday talking about some sort of special 'wheatgrass smoothie' served in this area, and I am very interested in sampling one. Be a dear and procure one of these drinks, and bring it to our press conference later."

Danielle's stomach turned at the thought of a wheatgrass smoothie. "Uh... Sure, I guess," she said. "But why?"

"Just trust me on this." Rarity winked, and gestured to Twilight. "We might as well comply with this nice lady's instructions. There is no point in making a scene... Yet."

"Er... Okay." Twilight looked at Danielle and shrugged. "I guess we're good to go."

Danielle relayed this message to Petunia. "Wonderful!" the councilwoman exclaimed. "Right this way, your Highness..."

One by one, the ponies filed off the boat and followed Petunia off the dock and towards a mass of waiting photographers. "Harrumph," Brianna snorted. "That stuffed shirt bureaucrat doesn't know who she's dealing with. If those ponies end up razing Inkopolis to the ground, it'd serve her right."

As soon as Petunia and the ponies had vacated the dock, a stern-looking older male Inkling covered in war medals came stomping towards Danielle and Brianna. "Sergeant Sardine, sir!" Danielle said as she saluted the old man. "We've delivered the Equestrian Inklings safely to Inkopolis, just as you asked."

"So you did," the sergeant conceded. "And I suppose I should give you credit for pulling off a mission of this magnitude with a crew this inept." He cast an irritated glare at Brianna, who had her arms folded and hadn't bothered to salute, and then scowled at Craig, who was staring out at the ocean and hadn't even noticed the sergeant's presence. "You may have a future in this squid's army after all, plankton."

"You're gonna keep an eye on those Inklings, right?" Brianna asked. "I don't trust them."

"They're slated to have a full military escort," the sergeant replied, "to keep ne'er-do-wells like you from disrupting their trip."

"Good enough," Brianna said. "Can we go home now? I'm sick of this ship, sick of this crew, and sick of this whole darn army."

"You've all earned yourselves eighteen hours of R&R, plankton," the sergeant declared. "You'll report back here tomorrow at 0600 hours sharp for redeployment."

"R-R-Redeployment?!" Brianna's eyes nearly popped out of her head. "You mean you're sending us back out to sea?!"

"That's right!" the sergeant shouted. "A land mass that's already inhabited by Inklings is only so useful for colonization purposes. We need to find another island to inhabit, and that's exactly what you're going to do!"

"But sir," Danielle pleaded, "that trip took a heavy toll on the crew, and I don't think sending us back out with this short a turnaround is a good idea. Isn't there anyone else who—"

"Nobody else even came close to finding land, plankton!" the sergeant revealed. "The High Council wants results, and you're the only splatoon who's got them, so it'll be anchors aweigh for you all in the morning!"

"This is baloney!" Brianna flung her hat onto the dock in disgust. "I am not going back out on that ocean in that ship with this crew for your stupid scavenger hunt!"

"Me neither!" Tommy added. "I'm tired of having my life flash before my eyes!"

"I can't go, dude," Craig declared as he turned to face the sergeant. "My work is here now, working with our new friends to—"

"Well, 'dude,' you don't get a choice in the matter!" the sergeant thundered. "In fact, I've half a mind to rescind your R&R and stick you all on KP duty for the rest of the day!" He stepped forward and stood threateningly over Danielle. "Would you like that?"

Danielle gulped. "N-No, sir."

"That's what I thought." The sergeant turned and stomped back down the dock. "Dismissed until 0600 hours tomorrow, plankton!"

"Great!" Brianna screamed as Sergeant Sardine walked away. "That should give you plenty of time to pick up a new brain from the quartermaster!" She stared the sergeant down until he disappeared from view, her body still twitching with rage. "He's lucky I'm such a nice person," she grumbled. "Otherwise, I might have done something he would have regretted."

"Don't you mean something you would have regretted?" Danielle inquired.

"No," Brianna answered. "I think I would have enjoyed it."

Tommy sighed and picked up his sniper rifle. "Well, I'm going to go home and cry into my pillow for the rest of the day. See you tomorrow, I guess."

Danielle watched as Tommy and Craig headed for shore, and then threw an arm over Brianna's shoulder. "Rarity wanted me to pick up a drink for her at the Smoothie Shack. Wanna come and get a banana sundae to drown your sorrows in?"

"I guess," Brianna agreed as she and Danielle began walking off the dock. "But I swear, if the scooper gives me any grief about taking extra sprinkles..."


Danielle and Brianna made their way across the street from the harbor, and spent the next fifteen minutes relieving the Smoothie Shack of its chocolate ice cream supply while working on a plan to avoid getting redeployed. "How about this," Brianna suggested in between bites of her sundae. "We meet back here around midnight, and then we go kick the front window out of Shrimp Kicks, grab an armful of shoes each, and wait for the cops to catch us red-handed with the evidence. I mean, they can't ship us out to sea if we're in jail, right?"

"I dunno, Bree," Danielle admitted. "I'd prefer a plan where I didn't end up with a criminal record."

"Aw, how bad could it be?" Brianna said. "We beg for mercy, we point out that it's our first offense, and we plead out for probation and some community service. I'd rather spend two hundred hours picking up litter in the business district than test my sea legs again."

"With our luck," Danielle pointed out. "we'd get thirty days in the hole, and spend the rest of high school wearing matching ankle bracelets." She sighed and checked the time on her phone. "I'm gonna run over to City Hall and deliver Rarity's drink at the press conference. You coming?"

"Nah," Brianna replied. "If the big brass doesn't want me hanging around our 'distinguished guests,' they deserve whatever they get." She pulled out a pen and began doodling on a napkin. "I'm going to stay here and keep working on a plan to get out of sea duty. Call me if the ink hits the fan."

"Right." Danielle stood up, pushed away from the table, and made her way over to the train station a few buildings down the street. Five stops, two blocks, and one metal detector later, she walked through the doors of a large conference room in the basement of Inkopolis City Hall. The room was already packed twenty rows deep with press from every corner of Inkopolis, so Danielle was forced to lean against the back wall next to a sweaty camerasquid who had apparently forgotten to use deodorant that morning. This ought to be loads of fun, she thought.

The stage at the front of the room was empty save for a podium and a line of chairs along the back wall, but a parade of city officials led by Councilwoman Porgy soon filed into the room, followed by Twilight Sparkle and her friends. As the squids on stage found their seats, Petunia stepped up to the podium.

"Ladies and gentlemen, squids of all ages," the councilwoman began, "today is a momentous day in the history of Inklingkind. For the first time, a new colony of Inklings have been discovered on a faraway continent, and a member of their royal family is here with us today." She turned and gestured towards the disguised Equestrians. "Please join me in welcoming Princess Dusk Shine and the Equestrian Inklings!"

Twilight Sparkle stood up and smiled as the press corps applauded. "I'm actually a magical pony named Twilight Sparkle, and I'm here to enslave you all and reduce this city to rubble," she said, maintaining her smile the entire time.

Danielle's jaw nearly hit the floor. Did she really just say—

A bespectacled Inkling wearing a dress shirt and tie stood up next to Twilight. "The princess says 'Thank you for your hospitality. We are very happy to be here.'"

"A spot-on translation as always," Twilight said, as the 'Inklings' behind her snickered.

"Wha...?" Danielle scratched her head in confusion. What exactly is going on here? she wondered.

"Well, we're very happy to have you here!" Petunia beamed. "Now then, I am happy to announce that in honor of this historic visit, we will be holding a special Splatfest this evening!" She motioned for the Equestrians to stand up, which only Fluttershy did. "We didn't want to offend any of our guests by leaving them out of the festivities," she explained, "so instead of our customary two-team faceoff, we shall form a team for each one of our guests!"

A seven-team Splatfest? Danielle shrugged as the press applauded again. At least I'll get to participate before I leave...

"The Squid Sisters shall be making a broader announcement about the Splatfest at the conclusion of this conference," Petunia explained. "We shall see you all at Inkopolis Tower at sundown, and may the best team win! Now, I'll open the floor for questions..."

"Councilwoman Porgy!" a squid in the front row shouted. "Can you say anything about how the discovery of these Inklings came about? Was it part of Operation Expansion?"

"I can confirm that yes, our Equestrian brethren were discovered during this operation," Petunia answered.

"Can you tell us anything about the team that found them?" another voice squealed from the floor.

"The army will be releasing more details shortly," Petunia replied, "but I can say that the Equestrians were discovered by one of our elite JIB splatoons, led by a skilled young woman named Debra."

DEBRA?! Danielle threw her hands up in disgust. That's not even close!

"I believe the aplomb with which Debra and her team handled this task validates our decision to trust the JIB with this important mission," Petunia continued. "Our youth are frequently criticized for being consumed with shallow matters like being 'fresh'"—Petunia made air-quotes with her fingers as she spoke—"but this operation has taught these children important lessons about responsibility and civic duty, and given them a chance to grow and shine."

"They were certainly more fun to deal with than you fuddy-duddies," Rainbow Dash commented.

"The blue one said she agrees wholeheartedly with your reasoning," the bespectacled Inkling mistranslated, drawing a raspberry from Rainbow.

Rarity looked past the crowd of reporters and made eye contact with Danielle in the back. "I think we've heard quite enough," Rarity declared with a wink. "I think I feel a little... Faint."

"Um, the white one says thaaaaaaahhhh!" the 'translator' shouted as Rarity fell out of her seat and collapsed dramatically onto the stage.

Petunia's face turned white as the press began snapping photos and asking questions. "What's wrong?" "Has she been injured?" "Is our climate inhospitable for these Inklings?"

"Well, um..." Petunia cast a 'Well?' glare back at the translator.

"Oh, the cruel ironies of fate!" Rarity cried out, lifting her head and bringing her forearm to her forehead. "Gather round, my friends, for I fear the end is nigh. My lips, my throat, my entire body burns for lack of sustenance."

"Oh dear!" Petunia rushed over to the fallen 'Inkling.' "Let me help you—"

Stay back!" Rarity commanded, raising her hand to stop the councilwoman. "Your words, your actions, they do nothing for me. It is only the sweet nectar of the gods themselves that can save me now."

"Is she having an attack of some sort?" "Why didn't you have a doctor standing by?" "Has there been an assassination attempt?" The questions from the press kept coming.

Petunia's face went from white to red, and she wheeled on the translator. "What is she saying?" she demanded.

"Well, uh..." The translator broke out in a cold sweat. "She, um, says she's not feeling well, and—"

"I can see that!" Petunia roared. "How do we make her... Well, make her stop doing that?"

"Okay, here's what we need," Rainbow approached Petunia while trying to suppress a smile. "We need a million bits, a getaway chariot, and a hot air balloon."

"I think she just needs some fresh air," Applejack diagnosed. "This here room is awful stuffy."

"I think a kiss might be just the thing to revive her," Spike offered, drawing a stern look from Twilight.

"Maybe she just needs some balloon animals!" Pinkie pulled a balloon giraffe out from behind her back. "Balloon animals always make me feel better!"

"Is our guest's life in danger?" "Why weren't you prepared for this?" the press demanded. "How will this affect our relations with the Equestrians?"

Petunia put her hands on her head as the scene around her devolved into chaos. "Is... Is there a doctor in the house?" she whimpered.

"Save your breath!" Rarity coughed a few times for effect, and reached a hand towards to crowd. "I am dry, dry as an August in Appleloosa, and only a drink will save me." She held her pose for a few awkward moments, waiting for a certain someone to act. "Of course," she went on, "one of your delectable wheatgrass smoothies would work as well." She looked through the crowd at Danielle, who was staring at the stage with a puzzled look on her face. "Ahem! I said, does anyone have a wheatgrass smoothie?"

"Why is she asking us for a—Oh yeah!" The clouds parted in Danielle's mind, and she raised the smoothie she had carried in. "Hold on Rarity, I'm coming!”

All commotion stopped, and the entire room turned and watched as Danielle pushed her way through the crowd and climbed up onto the stage. "I, uh, got you the smoothie you wanted," she said, a bit unnerved by the number of Inklings staring at her.

"Thank you, darling!" Rarity took a dainty sip from the straw, and immediately scrunched up her face. "Ugh! Apparently Craig failed to mention how horribly strong this was."

"Well, you're kinda stuck drinkin' it now," Applejack pointed out, "so... Bottoms up."

Rarity sighed. "Such are the travails of the theater." She held her nose and began drinking as fast as she could.

The crowd watched breathlessly as Rarity finished the drink. "Praise be," she proclaimed in between coughs, "for my soul's thirst has been quenched! I am whole once more!"

The room erupted in applause as Spike and Fluttershy helped Rarity to her feet. "And now, for the grand finale!" Rarity declared. "Everypony... Group hug!"

"Awwwww...." The reporters melted as the Equestrians surrounded Danielle and wrapped her in a hug. "Young lady," one reporter asked, "just who are you?"

"Me?" Danielle's hands began to shake as she looked out at all the faces and cameras that were staring back at her. "Well... Um... I..."

"This," Petunia announced, pushing Fluttershy aside to get access to Danielle, "is the incredible splatoon leader I was telling you about earlier! Say hello to the folks at home, Debra!"

"Uh..." Danielle stared into the nearest camera like a deer into headlights. "Hi?"

"Why wasn't she already with the Equestrians?" a member of the press demanded.

"I don't know," Petunia fibbed, "and I, for one, an outraged that this separation was allowed to occur! I assure you that we will conduct a thorough investigation into the matter, and heads will roll!" She cast an angry glance back at the official translator. "For now, Donna and her team will be assigned full-time to the care and company of Princess Shine and our Equestrian visitors."

"You hear that?" Twilight said into the podium microphone. "If you can understand me—that means you, Brianna, Tommy, and Craig—you're needed at City Hall right away!"

Petunia grabbed Danielle's hand and began shaking it vigorously. "Thank you once again, Dana, for coming through in our hour of need." She leaned in close to Danielle. "And for your sake... Don't screw this up," she whispered.

Danielle swallowed hard as the cameras flashed. Maybe Bree was right after all, she thought to herself. I'm probably doomed either way, but at least her plan would have gotten me a new pair of Hi-Horses...