• Published 26th Jul 2015
  • 2,567 Views, 130 Comments

An Imperfect Paradise - Ximer



Daniel has adapted to life on a strange world, made a name for himself, and finally has a family of his own. The next chapter in his life will throw all of that for a loop.

  • ...
5
 130
 2,567

Check Out

I had grown bored of the dull white walls of the hospital room, and had been tempted to color on them out of childish deviance. My mind was steadily melting with each passing moment, and I was desperate to be free from the prison that was supposedly for my own good. At least they had removed the IV, which was a small glimmer of hope; my fate was now in the very capable hooves of a friend that I had entrusted with retrieving my ticket out of here.

“So, Daniel,” the nurse said as she came in at her usual time. “How are you this morning?”

“Ready to leave,” I replied with a sigh.

“Oh come now, you talk as though we’re killing you,” the mare laughed with a light shake of her head.

“The day I’m on my death bed, I’ll be just as eager to leave as I am healthy,” I mumbled.

“A promise I’m sure you’ll keep,” the nurse chuckled. “For now I need you to take these for me.”

I crossed my fore legs and turned my head. I was in no mood for pills of any sort, and I planned on making that perfectly clear. Much to my dismay, unicorn nurses had no time for my shenanigans and simply forced them into my mouth. IT was my own fault really, I was making an bum of myself and deserved the harsh look I received following the forceful insertion and consumption of what I hoped were only vitamins.

“Honestly, I wish you stallions weren’t ornery when it comes to medicine,” the nurse huffed.

“Not my kind of medicine,” I commented. “Next thing you know, you’ll be shoving a thermometer up my rectum.”

“We have no intent of sticking anything up your rectum,” the mare rolled her eyes.

“I know your ways,” I narrowed my eyes accusingly.

“If you’d like, I can go find the doctor and he can administer the services you’ve requested,” the nurse deadpanned.

“That won’t be necessary,” Bon Bon said as she stored a set of shades into her saddle bag.

“Bon Bon!” I shouted excitedly. “Did you get it!?"

"Yep, that "special candy" you asked for was pretty hard to find," Bon Bon commented, winking knowingly.

"I'm impressed you were able to get that candy," I said watching as the nurse rolled her eyes and left us both. "Really though, candy?"

"You asked for covert," Bon Bon shrugged. "You were right about Isabella keeping this stuff hidden. Took a while to get the exact details on where it was."

"How did you get in and out so fast?" I asked puzzled.

"Let's just say you owe two mares dinner sometime, and then some," Bon Bon smirked.

"Noctra helped you, didn't she?" I chuckled which caused Bon Bon's cheeks to puff up. "Secret agent Sweetie Drops."

"Shh!" the mare stuck her hoof in my mouth. "Not so loud!"

"Nopony heard us, I'm not that loud," I shrugged, removing her hoof.

"Anyways, I only took a little. I didn't want to go raising suspicions, even though the nice bat pony assured me that wasn't an issue," Bon Bon said producing a small bottle which held a strange looking liquid.

"I'm impressed that they even let you in the castle," I commented, examining the bottle for myself.

"They didn't," Bon Bon replied. "That took a little effort, but it was an in and out job. No muss, no fuss."

I opened the bottle and was greeted by the strong scent of cotton candy, which turned into mint, followed by cinnamon. Yep, this was defiantly Discord's work. It made me wonder what exactly was in this mixture that made it as potent as one of Discord's spells. Before I could test its strength, Bon Bon stopped me with her hoof, a worried look on her face.

"I almost forgot, there was a warning label on the bottle. You only need a drop," Bon Bon said.

That was a first, Discord and warning labels. He seemed like the type to leave that off and toss caution to the wind for shits and giggles. The fact that he had put a warning label on the original batch confused me greatly, as well as made me rethink my plan for a few seconds before shaking the thoughts of doubt from my mind.

I removed the long straw from the giant hospital water mug they left me with every morning and blew through it a few times to get the water out of it. Then, biting down tightly on the straws end, I dipped it into the bottle Bon Bon had brought.

I quickly removed it and maneuvered it over the tray table beside the bed. There I waited for gravity to do the rest, slowly moving my head across the area to let a few drops drip down. I was thankful for once to be in a hospital since I knew that the tray table was sterile and clean. The nurses and staff kept that practice up religiously.

"I can't believe you're going to take it that way," Bon Bon recoiled. "I-I could go find a dropper."

"Bon Bon, I've been in this hell hole for too long, I'm starting to lose my mind," I snorted. "I'm not waiting another second."

With that, I carefully licked up a single drop of the concoction Discord had somehow brought into existence. I had asked Bon Bon to get some in the first place since I had the sneaking suspicious that Isabella would be less than thrilled with me walking out of the hospital just to take another crack at my clockwork rival. In this instance, it was better ask forgiveness than permission.

Both of us anxiously waited for something to happen. When nothing immediately transpired I began to panic, since this was the fastest way out of this place. As if on cue, however, I suddenly felt rather ill; not sick enough to vomit, but the sudden wave of nausea was crippling. Discord's spells never stuck to a single change, but instead seemed to enjoy mixing things up with every use, as I had discovered while using the necklace. It seemed the same applied for this potion.

Following the sickening feeling in my stomach, I felt bones shift and grow, which caused my heart rate to skyrocket. It triggered an alarm and the part of my mind that wasn't overwhelmed by the sensations of change knew I'd have company soon enough.

Fingers, toes, feet, and hands all took their rightful place, igniting my brain with signals that had been dormant. I became too big for the bed after a minute into the change and slid off. The cold floor against my naked body assured me that my fur had completely vanished, and a quick glance at my thigh confirmed that my cutie mark was still there. It was an odd carry over, but I was still thankful for its subtly upon putting on pants.

"I...wow...." Bon Bon mouthed.

"Yep, good to be back," I groaned as bones popped upon movement.

My heart monitor had detached from my growing body and now registered that I had flat lined. No sooner had my mind processed this detail, the door burst open with a doctor and a small army of nurses whose eyes widened in shock upon seeing me.

"I'll be signing out now," I said calmly.

---

Isabella slowly turned the bottle to and fro between her fingers, watching the liquid within slosh back and forth. She had been using the strange concoction sparingly, and kept it in a cool place, since Discord stuck a flammable content sticker on the bottle. He had the gall to wake her up in the middle of the night to do this claiming "he forgot something."

"Still believe the boogie pony stole some of that potion?" Blueblood teased.

"Hey, Slenderman is real, don't joke," Isabella replied.

"Slenderman?" Blueblood cocked an eyebrow at the girl.

"Yep, he's the "boogie pony" from my world," Isabella shrugged. "He teleports like a unicorn, steals small children, and drives adults like me insane."

"So you've already fallen victim then?" Blueblood snickered at his own joke.

"I can cross my legs at any time, sweetie," Isabella smiled.

Blueblood cleared his throat at her threat, knowing she meant business. She had held out before, teasing and toying with him until he had to deal with things himself. She could be quite the mare, but that's what sparked the odd attraction. She didn't care that he was a prince, she treated him like an average joe. She didn't chase him or try to impress him with a mask.

"So why are you getting all dressed up?" Isabella asked.

"Formal banquet, I was hoping you would join me," Blueblood replied.

"Oh my dear prince, I am but a wild maiden whose mind has left her some time ago," Isabella spoke in a mock Luna voice. "Perhaps another mare would suit thy fancy for tonight's festivities?""

"Ah! Stop that!" Blueblood cringed. "How you manage to do that I'll never know, but it's creepy, I don't want to picture my aunt right now."

"You're no fun," Isabella giggled.

"You seem to have stuck around," Blueblood smirked.

Isabella was quiet now, unusually so. While their back and forth banter was amusing, rarely did it stop so abruptly, and over something so simple. The lack of a response, or even a light snicker from her took caught Blueblood’s attention.

“Something wrong?” Blueblood asked.

“Yes and no,” Isabella said quietly.

“That answer is a bit contradictory, don’t you think?” the prince asked, trying to get her to laugh again.

“I’m worried about the future,” Isabella replied. “Stupid stuff that my brother tends to worry over, not me.”

“I know we upper crust aren’t your favorite types to be around, but perhaps being with a crowd instead of by yourself would do you some good,” Blueblood suggested. “We can play that game you enjoy.”

“You mean wardrobe ridicule?” Isabella asked breaking a small smile. “I thought you hated it when I started to play that around you?”

“If it perks you up I can endure it for a night, so long as you don’t make me your surprise victim,” Blueblood said.

“I promise to reserve my judgement of your selection tonight,” Isabella smiled.

“Good, now get dressed. Later we can discuss what’s resting on your mind.” Blueblood said.

Isabella turned as her frown returned to her face. A hand fell briefly upon her stomach before she shook her head and got up. The visions of the past still haunted her, things she kept in the darkest confines of her own heart.

---

The sun’s rays were a beautiful sight to behold. While I had seen them abundantly while in the hospital, being on the other side of the glass was a bit disheartening for me. I had seen them long enough through windows in my old world, doing so here only served to remind me of colder times in my life.

“So, now that you’re a free stallion again, what’s your next move?” Bon Bon asked.

“I’ve got a family to check on before I do anything too ambitious,” I replied. “Then I can get to work on dealing with Zero.”

“Well, I suppose confidence is a good thing,” the mare laughed nervously.

“You don’t think I can do it, do you?” I looked down at her.

“I didn’t say that,” Bon Bon twisted her hoof into the soft as she looked down. “I’d just hate to see you back in the hospital all over again.”

“So that’s a yes,” I rolled my eyes. “Great…that’s super.”

“Hey, you’re the one that got yourself in this hole, not me!” Bon Bon huffed.

“You’re right, I’m sorry,” I sighed. “I guess I’ll have to trust Thunderlane on this one.”

“W-wait, you’re trusting Thunderlane,” Bon Bon held a hoof up at me. “As in the stallion that put you through the ringer the first time?”

“Yes Bon Bon, I am,” I crossed my arms.

“Well good luck with that, I won’t hold my breath for results,” Bon Bon commented.

“I’m sure things will be fine, what’s the worst that can happen?” I shrugged.

With that we went our separate ways. I was certain Bon Bon was just over reacting to the news since Thunderlane wasn’t that bad now. Granted I Wasn’t around him all the time, but if he was serious than that was probably about to change.

Once I made it into the busier part of town, the stares began anew, similar to when I had first arrived in this world. These were linked to surprise rather than disgust or curiosity though. In a small setting like Ponyville, news traveled fast, and no doubt everypony had learned of my little trip to the hospital. What probably struck them as odd was how I had grown roughly four feet with a change of posture and walking pattern.

“Ah can’t believe it,” I heard Applejack say from her stand. “Ya done walked out on us ‘for we could come see ya again.”

“It sucks you missed their reaction,” I said, sharing a laugh with the mare. Our hate for hospitals being one of the many things we had in common.

“Yer heart feelin’ up ta what needs doin?” Applejack asked.

“I guess I’ll find out soon enough, for better or for worse,” I replied before continuing on my way.

Soon enough, I reached my house, the windows bright with a warm light from within. My smile started to grow a bit as I neared the door, imagining all the ways I could startle Cloudchaser, and brighten Scootaloo's day. It’d be good to hold Stormwalker again too, it was admittedly harder to do as a pony, but as long as I was human I planned to use my arms for just that.

Before I could place my hand on the door, it opened of its own accord, revealing two foals. Both had seemed giddy and happy at first, with only one remaining that way upon laying eyes on me.

"Dad!" Scootaloo shouted, abandoning Star Sprint to do her best to tackle me to the ground.

"Hey squirt, you know I didn't leave right?" I laughed.

"How'd you get out so early?" Scootaloo tilted her head. "Mom said you'd be in the hospital for at least two weeks."

"What do they know?" I rolled my eyes before focusing on Star Sprint. "Long time no see."

"I guess it has been," Star Sprint smiled nervously.

"What's the matter kid, did something else happen while I was out of commission?" I asked.

"W-well, kind of," Star Sprint danced around the question, not looking up at me, which was unusual for him.

"Star Sprint's taking me out," Scootaloo said nonchalantly.

My train of thought slammed on it's emergency break. After all the sparks and smoke had settled as a result, I was able to process what had just been said so casually by my daughter. She had her cutie mark, sure, but dating!?

"Dad?" Scootaloo poked me once in the forehead to get my attention.

"Huh, what?" I looked around in a brief daze before catching back up with reality.

"I said, Star Sprint is taking me on a date, mom said it was okay," Scootaloo repeated.

I looked at Star Sprint, who was still avoiding eye contact. He wasn’t this timid when he was around the track, but it was understandable to be nervous around the father of the filly he was supposedly taking out on a date. As much as I didn’t want to approve, Scootaloo was admittedly an adorable filly, but I wasn’t quite sure what qualified as too young by pony standards for dating.

“Umm,” I hesitated a minute before agreeing with Cloudchaser. “Yeah, just be back by eight.”

I didn’t have much to worry about with the colt, since I knew his father, and Scootaloo was a smart filly. If he did somehow find the nerve to try something, she would leave and end it, or let him have it.

“We will be,” Scootaloo beamed happily, hugging me before practically dragging Star Sprint off. The poor colt had no idea what he had signed up for.

My smile slowly started to droop down into a frown as I walked inside. My heavy footsteps quickly caught the attention of the mare of the house. Cloudchaser’s eyes widened as she turned the corner and saw me. Given her expression, I wasn't quite sure if she was excited to see me, or mad that I had left the hospital.

“Hey honey,” I grinned.

Cloudchaser didn’t hesitate to tackle me in a hug, much the same way Scootaloo had. Unlike our daughter, however, the mare successfully knocked me to the floor. I held her close as she snuggled atop my larger body.

“How did you change?” Cloudchaser asked.

“I borrowed a little medicine from Isabella,” I vaguely replied.

Cloudchaser looked into my eyes for a few puzzled seconds before shrugging. A split second later I felt her soft lips press against mine, cooing in delight as I ran my fingers through her mane.

“By Celestia I’ve missed this…” Cloudchaser murmured as our lips parted.

“Well, it is good to have fingers again,” I chuckled, receiving a playful boop. “How’s Stormwalker?”

“Playing, last time I checked on him,” the mare replied.

I held her close and stood up, making her squeal in glee as I carried her to our foal’s room. I had missed being able to do things like this with Cloudchaser. Being a pegasus was awesome, but I could never leave behind or forget what I was deep down. I was just thankful I had found a mare that wasn’t afraid of my other side.

Just as Cloudchaser had said, Stormwalker sat on his haunches stacks a few blocks before toppling them with a swift swipe of his hoof. I watched him repeat this process before I knelt down to his level, gaining his attention.

Stormwalker smiled at me, warming my heart. The little colt had been growing every day, his legs getting stronger, and his wings becoming more stable.

"Dabababa!" Stormwalker babbled, his wings flapping excitedly.

"Hey buddy," I said releasing Cloudchaser as she traded spots with our son. "How's my little guy?"

Stormwalker cooed and squirmed in response, laughing as I stood up and hoisted him above my head. His wings buzzed, similar to Scootaloo's would when she was happy or excited as he looked down at me. He continued to laugh even as I pulled my hands away from him.

Ordinaraly, hoisting a baby up only to relinquish your hold of it would earn you a visit from child services, but a pegasus foal was not a normal baby. I had seen Cloudchaser do the same thing before and had even been encouraged to do so as well. It helped develop the strength in his wings at an early age.

Stormwalker slowly drifted towards the floor, his little wings delaying his descent. Just before his hooves touched the floor, I took him in my arms again, this time gently rubbing his ear as I held him.

"He's getting there with words," Cloudchaser commented. "Not to mention being a little butt after coming back from his aunt's. I swear, you'd think Flitter has mind powers or something."

"Aunts naturally have mind corruptive abilities, don't worry, you'll get to return the favor someday," I said.

"I hope so," Cloudchaser sighed draping her forelegs over my shoulder. "So what did you think of Scootaloo's date?"

"I think, for the first time, I genuinely feel old," I confessed.

"Just out of curiosity, how long do humans wait before dating?" Cloudchaser asked, nuzzling my cheek.

"Uhh...it varies, things usually get serious at fifteen years or so," I said. "Anything earlier isn't that serious yet."

"Sheesh, and I thought waiting until getting a a cutie mark was bad," Cloudchaser rolled her eyes. "Why do humans have to over complicate things?"

"It's in our nature," I shrugged. "I didn't know that getting a cutie mark made you an eligible batchleret."

"It doesn't, it's just when colt's start to notice you, that you've found your lot in life," Cloudchaser explained. "It's a sign of maturity...which both of you lack in other departments sometimes."

"Hey, I resemble that remark," I grinned.

"You're lucky you're adorable," the mare said. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah...Star Sprint's a good colt, I know where to find him if he isn't," I replied.

"Speaking of love," Cloudchaser said before giving my ear a quick lick. "It's been a while since I saw this romantic side of you."

"Lucky you I literally have two romantic sides to show you," I chuckled.

---

Isabella paused before approaching the open doors beside Blueblood. She hated these events with a burning passion. They served no purpose, aside from displaying the grandure and glamor of supposedly humble creatures.

"You're not wanting to back out now, are you?" Blueblood turned to Isabella.

"No," Isabella sighed. "Just nervous, you're sure you don't want me to sneak in real quick and "change?"

"Quite positive," Blueblood grinned.

Isabella’s sense of confidence caved in upon stepping through the doors. Amongst other humans such events had been tolerable, and she had never had such problems, but she was quite literally the odd woman out in a room the size of a small house.

Blueblood leaned against her slightly, reminding her he was still there. Despite her short stature, she was still taller than him which Isabella would tease him about sometimes. Tonight she refrained from doing so, being grateful to have him beside her.

“Isabella,” Celestia’s voice caught her attention. “I was wondering whether you would show up or not, it seems as though the prince managed to talk you out of your room.”

“Heh, I’m not that shut in…am I?” Isabella asked.

“When I do see you it’s very brief, I’ve been meaning to ask how you’ve been?” Celestia replied.

“You know me, just trying to keep out of the upper crust’s way,” Isabella laughed nervously.

“And I suppose the investigative work you and Noctra have been doing is nothing you’d like to talk about?” the alicorn asked, a mischievous smile crossing her muzzle.

“Oh that?” Isabella’s cheeks flushed. “That’s just something Daniel asked about.”

“I see, so it’s him I should be speaking with then,” Celestia smiled as she continued her mental game.

“Hey, I wasn’t trying to throw him under the bus or anything, he asked because of Scootaloo,” Isabella quickly corrected herself.

“Perhaps it would be best if such things were left to professionals from now on,” the solar princess said. “As harmless as your intentions may have been a complaint was filed against Noctra by Flicker and a guard with a mane and tail that were out of regulations.”

“You don’t say,” Isabella felt a small bead of sweat race down the side of her head.

“Flicker had feelings for Summer Stars, the same as her friends, but sometimes it’s best to let things rest in peace, even if it’s not the answer we want,” Celestia spoke with a much softer voice.

“Sister!” Luna shouted excitedly before Isabella could respond. “Have you heard the news from Saddle Arabia?”

“I’m afraid I haven’t,” Celestia replied, all thought concerning Isabella and Noctra’s activities leaving her mind.

“An heir has been born to them, a handsome little colt and-“ Luna continued, as the dark feelings returned from the hidden recesses of Isabella’s mind.

She quietly excused herself and left, thankfully unnoticed by either of the celestial sisters. Isabella cursed under her breath for believing that this was a good idea. It had been until Luna brought up the last thing she wanted to discuss, especially now.

“You know, I dislike conversations with my aunts when they take a turn towards the feminine side, but I rarely run out of a room full of ponies because of it,” Blueblood said as he approached her.

“I wasn’t running, I was…speed walking,” Isabella replied, running her hand across her eye.

“And I’ve never been moved to tears either,” the stallion added having gone through enough mare friends to pick up on their fake eye rub. “What has you worked up, Izzy?”

“Would you stick around, even if I wasn’t fun anymore? If I became dull or boring?” Isabella asked cautiously.

“I find all of this subtlety a bit boorish,” Blueblood said with a raised eyebrow. “I wish you’d just tell me what’s wrong-“

“It’s yours,” Isabella said flatly.

“…pardon?” Blueblood’s look of confusion only caused Isabella more frustration as she realized she would have to spell things out for him.

“We fucked on a night I wasn’t keeping track of things, you knocked me up,” Isabella huffed.

Both stood in complete silence for a few seconds. Isabella having crossed her arms as she stared out through one of the large windows, concern resting upon her face. While Blueblood was no mind reader, it was clear there was something else here than nervousness about how he truly felt about her.

“Isabella, I wouldn’t leave you over something like this,” the prince said. “I would think a first time mother to be happy about such news...why do you seem disappointed?”

“Because this isn’t the first time I’ve been pregnant,” Isabella replied. “It’s not disappointment Blueblood, it’s guilt.”

“I don’t understand, why would you feel guilty?” Blueblood sat down in front of her, looking up at the human expectantly.

“Swear to me right now that you’ll never speak a word of this to my brother, anyone, or anypony,” Isabella said.

“You have my word, now please, tell me what’s wrong?” Blueblood pleaded.

“When I was younger, I met a guy from my world that I really liked,” Isabella began, thankful that Blueblood didn’t seem to be too upset with her story starting out with another male. “We dated, did the whole nine yards, and one night he betrayed my trust and…”

“Keep going,” Blueblood urged. “Please, I need to know.”

“I didn’t want the baby…because of what he did,” Isabella said as a hand subconsciously found its way to her stomach. “Now here I am again, and I feel…rotten.”

Blueblood wanted to speak, but for the first time in his life, his heart felt as if it had shifted to his throat. He put the pieces together as she spoke, however, her tough exterior was covering up the fractured part of her that she had kept hidden from the outside world until now. Not even her brother was aware of what she had done.

“Your name is Isabella Walker, gifted explorer, witty human, loving marefriend, and future mother,” Blueblood said softly. “I was what many would consider rotten, I even wanted your brother kicked out of Equestria for no other reason than I didn’t trust him, until you came along.”

“I didn’t even like you then,” Isabella laughed halfheartedly.

“You can’t let the past become shackles for the future,” Blueblood stood up nuzzling her as best as he could. “That’s why it’s so important that you see things through this time, and you won’t be alone.”

“Dummy,” Isabella muttered as she knelt down to wrap her arms around his neck. “Please don’t tell the others, Daniel would die if he knew.”

“It never leaves this spot,” Blueblood said as he felt something wet run down his fur. Isabella’s only response was a quiet nod as she silently cried from a mixture of sorrow for her past, and joy for her future.

---

Flicker couldn't help but be a bit more upbeat than usual, it seemed a good majority of Canterlot was that way this morning as well. He had left Impulse to his own devices for now, trusting that the stallion would continue his good work, right up until the time came to sell him out. It was amazing how gullible such a brilliant unicorn was.

He had used him to put his foe out of commission until he could deal with things himself, and Zero could certainly be used for more direct methods, if he could ever convince the toy. While Flicker admired it's ability to process the world around it, that didn't change what it was. Without that crystal, it was nothing more than a soulless automaton.

"Did you hear about that racer from Ponyville?" Flicker overheard a mare ask.

"Somewhat, is it true what they said about him?" her friend asked in return.

Flicker's smug smile grew bigger and crueler as he eavesdropped in on their conversation. This was what he wanted, doubt, despair, and a complete lack of faith in a fake stallion. It was odd really, Zero and that human were caught in between a limbo of existence, a pony, but not at the same time. Not that it mattered now, he was injured-

"Rumor is, he's out of the hospital," the other mare said giddily.

Flicker felt his heart skip a beat as his thoughts of victory came to a screeching halt. What he had heard had to be a mistake, a poor rumor, nothing more. It had only been a few days since the incident, surely this was impossible. Not that it mattered, even if he was by some miracle out of bed, he'd never be at one hundred percent again.

"I heard they found a new trainer, probably fired the old one after that loss," one of the other ponies present commented.

Flicker wasn't sure which he was more impressed by; the fact that Lean Streak, one of the more notable trainers, had just been glossed over since his death, or that the miserable stallion had actually found a pony willing to work with him. Regardless of which he picked, the most disturbing revelation today cast a long shadow over all other rumors. Daniel was out.

What is he, supernatural or something!? Flicker fumed within the privacy of his own mind. It would seem as though a gentle nudge in the right direction is needed in order to get things rolling again.

The stallion wordlessly excused himself and began to make plans for Las Pegasus. He had tried being subtle, but that clearly wasn't going to work. He was going to have to take things to a new level, and that would involve a bit of back biting.

Author's Note:

The end is drawing near, and it's been fun to write this saga. Thank you all for reading up to this point, it means a lot to me. Also, blog art has finally been made (to make commission art?) of the characters. Depending on how things go, I'd like to get one of Zero done as well.