• Published 2nd Aug 2015
  • 4,077 Views, 371 Comments

The Teal Changeling - MrAlterad



Princess Chrysalis was born a queen, but she has much to learn about becoming one. The war between her hive and Princess Luna may provide the lesson, assuming what follows doesn't destroy her kind...

  • ...
6
 371
 4,077

22. Faith in Tomorrow

“So, what do you think?” Dud asked curiously, a hoof gestured towards a fancy looking carriage, prompting Chrys to give it a second look.

It was crafted of sleek auburn wood, its edges lined with ornate plant markings that the snow clumped to. There were small windows on each side, with a door and small retractable steps on the back end. It had an silver lantern hanging over the door, giving off a warm glow that banished the coming night. The whole thing was a little bit bigger than Aegis, and Chrys couldn't deny, it sure was … something. She raised an eyebrow as she looked from it, to the excited pegasus.

“What about it? Is it yours?” she asked, getting a wide grin from him.

“It's yours now. You and Momo can ride inside while Aegis pulls it!” he explained, giving her a proud nod. “With this, you'll be riding to Canter Town in comfort.” She gave him a flat look.

“Dud, we didn't need a carriage. Let alone something so ... fancy.”

“Don't be silly!” he replied, “This is more than just fancy. Why, it's nothing less than a carriage fit for a princess!”

“Queen,” she quickly replied, making him blink. “I won't let anypony call me princess any longer.” He tilted his head at that, before rubbing his chin.

“Something good happen?” he asked, “You seemed kinda down, before you ran off.”

“Something did happen,” she replied, shrugging off his curiosity, “So how'd you get this?” she asked as she circled it, “Did you buy it with the bits Joy left us?” That got a short laugh from the stallion, making her frown.

“Those bits were only enough for lunch and dinner,” he assured, “This cost as much as a house.”

“I'm guessing that's a lot?”

“Very much so!” he quickly replied, before flying around the carriage. “Not only is it 'stylish', but it's also got good suspension, and the interior is extra cozy. And, it's enchanted!”

“Really?” Chrys asked with a raised eyebrow, her horn glowing, magic enveloping the carriage. What she could feel radiating around the cart felt familiar. “Is that … a heat spell?”

“That's right! The inside is snug and warm. And, in the summer, the spell inverts. From what I was told, it can even keep you cool and comfortable in the heart of a volcano!” He let out a small laugh, “An exaggeration I'm sure, but it's still nice!” He then gave her a wide smile, “The pony I bought it from told me that only three of these were ever made!” he added, getting a small smirk from the young queen.

“So you're saying that it's rare.”

“Yep!” he replied, before beckoning her to the door, “Also, there's a surprise waiting for you inside...”

“What kind of surprise?” she asked, her ears perking as she tried to look completely uninterested.

“Who knows~ guess you'll have to find out,” he said coyly, getting a forced sigh from the young queen, before she opened the door, pausing mid-step on the stairs.

Her mouth fell open, eyes aglow as her sense of smell was assaulted by all sorts of savory delights. The interior was stocked with a variety of food, and as she took it in, she felt her chin start to get wet. She blushed as she closed her mouth, wiping her lips before nodding to Dud.

“You did good. I have to admit, I'm impressed. So, how'd you get all this?” She then gave him a guarded look, “Was it from Princess Luna?” He shook his head.

“No silly, this is my Hearth's Warming gift for you and Momo!” he replied, getting an odd look from her. “I know, I know, it's early, but I figured, why not?”

“That's a pony holiday, an important one,” Chrys said blankly, before looking back at the food. “So how'd you get it all?”

“Well, I bought the food with the bits I've earned since we got here,” he explained, “Including what's stored away, there should be enough for the two weeks it'll take to get to Canter Town on hoof.” He then nodded sagely, “I made sure to get enough food to accommodate your continually growing appetite.”

“I- It's not growing!” she assured, glancing to the side, “So you were able to afford all of this?”

“No, just the food.” He then adopted a smile that Chrys could only call sinister, “I bought the carriage on my family's tab. Arrow Twine vouched for my authenticity.”

“You have a family?” Chrys asked, now a little confused.

“Oh, guess I never told you,” he said, looking a little embarrassed. “Can we talk about that later?” he asked, before letting out a long yawn, getting a small nod from her. He then adopted a look she could only call sheepish. “...How's Momo?”

“She's fine. Joy wasn't happy when she learned what happened, but Momo's fine. She's resting.”

“I see, that's good,” he replied with a small smile, before glancing to the queen, “Chrys… Am I still a dud?”

“No,” she stated flatly, making him blink. “You look surprised,” she added as she turned away from the carriage, “I've checked on your 'status' every day since we left the hive.” She then glanced to the side, slowly closing the door behind her, “Back when we were worried about food...”

“That makes sense,” he admitted, unbothered by the fact, “So... How long have I...?”

“Since Thundercloud,” she said, “Well, actually, I think it was since the mountain.”

“Huh,” he said curiously, glancing to the cart, “Maybe I should have saved my bits,” he added in a considering tone, making Chrys shake her head.

“I'd rather rely on pony food from here on. The hive only needs enough nectar to feed the hatchlings. We can rely on Equestrian food beyond that.” That got a curious look from him.

“Chrys?” he asked, getting a considering look from her.

“I've been doing a lot of thinking lately.” She then took a deep breath, before turning to face him. Standing before him, face to face, momentarily made her aware of her growth spurt. He seemed shorter since the last time she'd done this. “Dud, do you trust me?”

“Yep!” He didn't even hesitate, which annoyed her.

“You say it so easily.”

“It's an easy thing to say,” he said with a grin, winning a royal sigh.

“We changelings ... we've been raised to hide. To live in secret. No pony must know that we exist. No pony must know where the hive is. No pony must know about our plans...” she said, getting a hesitant laugh from him.

“Well, this pony happens to know all that,” he admitted, “Not that I'd spill the beans—“

“You would have already otherwise,” she replied, before adopting a determined look. “There's another secret we have. One only Momo and I know. I want to entrust it to you,” she said, making him tilt his head.

“Do I need to know?” That made her adopt a confused look. She eyed the ground, considering his question for a moment, before looking back to him.

“Somepony needs to know, and I trust you. It's important to us changelings, and if something terrible happens to us...” She then frowned, getting a curious look from the stallion as she glanced around, taking in their surroundings.

She didn't want anypony else overhearing this. “Aegis!” she called out, the guard moving away from his spot by the clinic, at the ready, “Make sure nopony eavesdrops on us.” He nodded, before Chrys turned to the carriage, beckoning her friend to follow. He joined her inside, and to the queen's surprise, the clamor of Dodge seemed to vanish as the door closed.

“Sound resistant wood,” Dud explained, before pointing at the windows with a wing, “Open one and you can hear everything again.”

“I see,” she said, her eyes widening as she got on one of the red velvet chairs. “W- Wow, this is really nice,” she added, bouncing on the seat for a moment, like the dignified queen she was.

“I spared no expense!” he replied, his chest puffed out proudly, but for why Chrys couldn't comprehend. “So, what's the important secret?”

“It's about something Momo and I found in the broken mountain...”

~~~

“...Huh,” Dud said with a considering look, “That's amazing! And, it kinda makes sense.”

“What does?” she asked, his reaction catching her off guard.

“Just the relationship between changelings and this tree,” he replied, “I mean, you make nectar out of love. Nectar is usually something a plant makes.” Chrys blinked at that. “I wonder what kind of tree it is?” He adopted a considering look for a moment, before noticing that she was giving him an impatient stare, which he answered with a smile. “Thank you, for trusting me with something so rare,” he added, before a fire lit in his eyes, “You've found a way. You've found a path like I had hoped. Now, you just need to get the hive out of dodge.” He then blinked as she gave him a confused look, “Err, I mean, to keep an open war from breaking out.”

“Yeah, I know...” she replied, frowning at nothing in particular. “Dud, if everything falls apart, you need to get this knowledge to Lores or Queen Amber.”

“You needn't worry, everything isn't going to fall apart.”

“How do you know?”

“Come on Chrys, I've already answered this one,” he said slyly, getting a frown from her. “I know it isn't going to fall apart, just like I knew you'd find some other way. I have faith in a better tomorrow.”

“Faith again?” she asked flatly, “You didn't seem to be that faithful when Momo was hurt.” And just like that, his smile was gone. “I remember. You made it sound so easy back then, when I was worried for her. Wasn't so easy now, was it?” she pressed, making him frown.

“It's easy to hold onto faith on something we can't see,” he replied, giving her a focused look. “Momo is strong, and was able to escape Mantis' clutches. Having faith in the future is just as easy. But, when she's lying in bed like that...”

“It's harder,” she finished, before letting out a sigh, “Dud, I'm putting faith in this Princess Luna. But, I'm not being given too many options here.”

“Hah, I know that feeling,” he replied, a troubled tone in his voice.

“Look, if I could, I'd just turn around and return to the hive. Aegis could break us into the sealed tunnels. He could protect us from Mantis. I could talk to Queen Amber. There'd be no attack on Canter Town. We'd give Hope the love it needs. And we'd never need another pony ever again.” She then glanced to the side.

“That doesn't sound like a bad idea, if it wasn't for Thundercloud...”

“It's not just Thundercloud,” she quickly affirmed. “I want there to be no more cocoons. But right now, the hive feeds on nothing but nectar. We don't have food like ponies do. If I want everything to be made right, then I need to work with Luna.”

“...You're trying to psyche yourself up,” he pointed out, making her blink, before giving him a small nod. “You want to tell her about what you really are, and you're afraid spilling that pot of beans will lead to ruin.” She nodded again, a worried frown on her lips.

“I don't want to be the queen that dooms her race,” she said, a determined, yet fearful look in her eyes, “If Luna knew of changelings, if it all went south...”

“That's not going to happen,” he assured, making her glare at him, abandoning her seat to get closer to the pony.

“Easy for you to say, you already have faith in her!” He simply smiled.

“Well, you have faith in me. Isn't that enough?” His words caught her off guard, making her take a step back, giving him an appraising look.

“...Are you willing to be responsible for what happens to the hive?” Now it was his turn to be caught off guard. “I don't think I'd be up for talking to Luna if it wasn't for you. She knows I'm coming. She has her shadowbolts looking over us, keeping us 'safe'. Dud, you said you wanted to just see how it all plays out, but, the truth is you're neck deep in all of this.” He blinked at her, mouth falling open as her words sunk in.

“Huh... How about that,” he replied, looking a little troubled by the realization. “I really dropped the ball on that one...” he said, brow furrowed in thought. He then looked to her, “Chrys, you'll be fine if you trust her. That's what I honestly think.” He then stood up, motioning towards the door, “First Momo, now this,” he mumbled, getting an intrigued look from the young queen. “I... need some time to think on all this. Did you have any more questions?” She shook her head.

“Dud, when we reach Canter Town, you can leave if you want—“

“Let's leave that one for later,” he cut off, making her frown.

“By later, I trust you don't mean 'right before we enter the castle'?” she pressed, getting a sheepish grin from him.

“That's two weeks away, I think I can come to an understanding before then,” he assured, “L- Look, I've already got enough to think over,” he added with a sheepish grin, “So, with your leave, Your Highness,” he finished, stepping out. She frowned at his retreat, horn glowing as she lightly tugged his shoulder.

“Dud. I'm not asking you to be responsible for the hive. I just want to know if I can have faith in her.”

“It doesn't seem like anything I can say will be able to reassure you,” he said, sounding a little glum by that fact. “Chrys, sometimes, to reach for what you really want, you have to take a leap of faith,” he said, turning towards her, a cool breeze brushing past them as she tilted her head.

“A leap of faith?”

“Yes. I know it's not easy, but sometimes, you've just got to jump, and hope. 'Will the dragon attack me if I enter her lair? Can she even talk to ponies?' I’ve had questions like that make me pause. But, I took a leap, and gained a great deal from it.”

“You're referring to the dragon at Neighgarou?” she asked, getting a nod from him. She gave him an unenthused look, “That 'leap' was the reason you were in town when the hive attacked.”

“Yep, it was a pretty good leap,” he said with a smile, making her shake her head in wonder. She looked to him for a moment longer, before her horn's glow died out. She then let out a small sigh.

“...Taking a leap,” she mumbled under her breath, before looking to the stallion. “Dud, thank you for the carriage and food,” she said flatly, “And, thanks for deciding to go with us the rest of the way,” she added, slipping him a small smile, which he hesitantly mirrored, before they both called it a day.

~~~

Early dawn, the following morning, the Queen's Carriage was on the move.

Momo and Chrys looked out the back window as Aegis pulled. The interior was warm, very comfortable, and both were more than satisfied with the breakfast Dud supplied. Besides waking early, it was the most pleasant morning they've had since leaving the hive. Momo smiled as she waved out the window, a certain nurse waving back, as they left Dodge behind them.

“Do you think Canter Town will be the same?” Momo asked, looking to her clutchling.

“It's a little more clustered and put together than Dodge,” Chrys replied dismissively, getting a curious look from Momo. “Unlike Dodge, I’ve seen Canter Town before, in a pony's dream.”

“Oh...” she replied, glancing to Dodge one last time, “Why not Dodge?” She asked, getting a small sigh from the young queen.

“It’s a new town, to fill the void left by Iron Trot and Tampa Niegh,” Chrys explained, making Momo’s ears fall for a moment, before she let out a small sigh. Momo then moved from the window, lazily falling onto one of the long chairs. Her mood shifted as she rubbed her face against the padding.

Soo soft... Is this what ponies call the 'spoiled life'?” she asked, stretching out on the velvet cushions.

“Don't tell Dud this,” Chrys began, getting a curious look from Momo. She then smiled when Chrys plopped onto the adjacent seat. “Sooo soft~” she practically cooed, getting a fit of laughter from Momo, which the young queen mirrored.

“It'd be nice if he were here too.”

“Hah! After trying to ditch us, he can learn to love the roof!” Chrys declared, letting out a haughty laugh.

“You sound real sinister when you do that,” Momo pointed out, getting a proud look from Chrys.

“Well yeah, that's the idea,” she said smugly.

“...This really is nice,” Momo repeated, a guilty note in her voice, which earned her a frown from Chrys.

“Hey, none of that!” she quickly chided, getting a curious look from her clutchling. “I'm going to make everything right, so no more of that guilt nonsense. We can make this all right again.”

“Heh, don't mind me. I just don't like these,” she said as she pointed at her bandages, “So, sorry if I'm a little down.” She hesitated, before giving a fired-up look. “We're almost there, Chrys. Canter Town. Will our journey be over when we get there?”

“No. But, I suspect the traveling part will be,” Chrys assured, glancing out the window, seeing the last visage of Dodge disappear behind a hill.

Finally, they were back on the path north...

~~~~~~~~~~

The days flew by, carrying with them an unexpected sense of peace. There were no storms to slow them down. There was no need to seek shelter. There wasn’t any worry of some antlion attacking in the middle of the night. The only thing that caught them unaware, was the passage of time, six days since leaving Dodge now behind them.

Gone were the snowy, sparse plains. Now, they were a little east of Rambling Rock Ridge, on a path in a thin forest that bordered the rocky broken land to the west. The woods were just as white as everywhere else, snow remaining from a scheduled sprinkle two days prior.

The light of the seventh day was beginning to brighten the horizon, getting a small yawn from a silent onlooker, perched on a cloud high above Chrys's camp.

There, a batpony wearing the black and purple uniform of a Shadowbolt turned to his sleeping comrades, waking them. One was a mare, in the same garb as he, the other was Arrow Twine. The mare quickly stirred; the older stallion, not so much.

“Thank you, Whisper,” Arrow said as he rubbed his head, getting an affirming grunt from the batpony. “Let me tell you youngsters, getting old is terrible,” he added, his eyes looking over the cloud's edge to their charges below, “I highly recommend against it.”

“Understood, sir!” both Shadowbolts replied in unison, getting a sigh from the old stallion.

“I'm retired, you don't need to treat me like a captain.”

“Sorry, sir,” Whisper replied, getting a sigh from the mare.

“It’s too early to keep track of that,” she said casually, getting an annoyed look from the batpony as she let out a yawn. “So, they headin' out yet?” she asked, looking upon the camp.

“The younger one still doesn't like waking up so early,” Whisper pointed out, “They're getting ready to leave now,” he explained, getting a nod from Arrow.

“So, yah still think the filly's the actual princess?” the mare asked.

“Murmur...” Whisper said in an annoyed tone, getting a smile from the mare.

“Don't give me that, love. I'm still bettin' she's the real one.”

“Then that'd mean Mr. Gust lied to us,” he replied, shaking his head, “He seems like a good pony. Why would he lie?” he asked defensively.

“To protect his injured friend,” Arrow said, cutting off Murmur's reply. “Doesn't matter which is which. It'll sort itself out when they reach the castle,” he added, pacing around the cloud as his eyes took in the lightening horizon. “If you have a problem with it, you can talk to Grumpy Gust about getting the bits you're betting back yourself,” he added, adopting a smile as Whisper looked flustered. Murmur then gave the batpony a coy look.

“Yah think Arrow didn't know? He sees everythin'!”

“And I don't like what I'm seeing,” he said as he frowned, getting an even more flustered look from Whisper, and a concerned one from Murmur.

“I thought you were fine wit' bettin'...” she said, making the old stallion shake his head.

“There's smoke to the northeast,” he pointed out, his colleagues following his gaze, their eyes seeing nothing more than a horizon greeting the sun.

“Yah sure?” she asked, getting a laugh from Whisper.

“Didn't you just say his eyes could see everything?” he asked, getting an annoyed look from her.

“Yes, I'm sure,” Arrow cut off, his tone implying that casual hour was over. “And it's a lot of smoke, more than any campfire. Some trees are burning. The blaze is out of sight, beyond the hills.”

“How can yah see that?” the mare asked in wonder.

“There's a slight haze over what's supposed to be clear skies,” he said flatly, before looking to the others, “With everything that's going on, it's probably something we shouldn't ignore.”

“Want me to check it out?” Whisper asked, making the older stallion shake his head.

“You both got your orders. Look after and protect our visitors. I'll check it out,” he said, rubbing his chin in thought, “I’ll rendezvous with you at noon, over the trail.”

“Hah, 'rendezvous'. How romantic,” Murmur said slyly, getting a frown from Whisper, and a smile from Arrow. The older stallion then saluted them, which they mirrored, before he flew off. “Retired, but he still salutes,” she added in an amused tone, before giving her companion a mischievous grin. “Well love, we're alone now...” she whispered coyly, making the batpony roll his eyes.

“Another time. We've got royalty to protect,” he said sternly, making her sigh, before getting a small nod from her, their attention turning to the fancy, expensive carriage below.

It was on the move.

~~~~~~~~~~

“...I wonder where Bulwark is,” Chrys said wistfully, looking out the front window, a cool breeze blowing through her mane as she got a glance from Aegis, head bobbing as he pulled the carriage. “We stayed in Dodge for over two weeks...”

“You think he's already at Canter Town?” Dud asked, looking into the window upside-down as he lay on the roof, getting a small nod from the young queen.

“Worry not, Your Highness,” Aegis said, “I'm confident he's doing everything in his power to aid you.”

“What makes you so sure? Faith?” Chrys asked.

“A good feeling. So, I guess so?” he said in a confused tone.

“With any luck,” Dud began, “he'll come bursting out of the woods at any moment!” Aegis stopped, a brief moment of silence falling over them, which ended with the sound of snow falling from a tree. “Hey, it could happen,” he added sheepishly, getting a sigh from the queen. “So, have you given Aegis the big news?” he asked, getting a curious look from the royal guard, and an annoyed glance from Chrys. “Oh...”

“What big news?” he asked, making Chrys frown more, before glancing to the side.

“I'm going to tell Princess Luna about changelings.” Aegis paused for a moment, unsure he heard right, before frowning.

What? Why?” he asked in a hard, tone, which Chrys matched.

“Because of that other way we found,” she said, not willing to trust Aegis with the truth just yet. His aid towards Mantis was still eating at the back of her head, “Let me explain...”

~~~~~~~~~~

Arrow Twine had a focused look, his eyes sweeping over a devastated patch of forest.

Scorch marks made in long lines were scattered haphazardly, leaving burnt grass and underbrush caught in their path. It wasn't just lines either, there were several burnt craters as well, so deep that the earth beneath was exposed, the mud hot and dry. Trees lay scattered about, broken as if they were mere twigs. Some were burnt, while others remained whole. Arrow brought a hoof to cover his nose as he took it all in.

The air smelled of sulfur.

Accenting the charred lines was the surrounding snow, muddied and riddled with clues to the battle that took place here. Tracks. Circling around, Arrow affirmed that those that caused this were no longer in the area, making him come closer, hovering just above the snow.

There were three participants. At least, that's how it appeared, as there were three different kinds of tracks, but the longer the former shadowbolt stared, the more he started to doubt that number. He didn't like it. His gut was telling him it was just two, but the evidence proved contrary.

One of the tracks was of something pony-like. The hoofmarks however were far bigger than a normal pony, almost three times the size. By the long lines and the odd gaps between these tracks, he guessed that whatever this large pony-like creature was, it could fly.

One of the other set of tracks was harder to catch, something seldom few would be able to place. Snow crushed and smoothed out in long twisting lines, was the kind of tracks left by a snake. A large snake. A lamia. There were no traces of the lamia entering the field of battle, making the stallion assume that the lamia must have been here before the snow fell. However, there were tracks of its departure, marks in the snow implying that it left the battle wounded.

Arrow eyed those tracks, a considering look on his face. A lamia in Equestria was concerning, but it slithered off to the east. He could follow it easily, corner it, and press it for details, if it weren't for the third set of tracks.

Three-clawed footprints, scattered in an odd manner not dissimilar to the large pony. The smell in the air was its signature. It could fly, was large, fast, and it could breathe fire.

There was a dragon in Equestria. A small dragon, possibly a young one, but a dragon all the same.

Arrow Twine looked off to the east, eyeing the lamia tracks, hesitating. He needed answers. But, more importantly, he needed to tell the others. That, and he had a nagging feeling, that this was related to Equestria's important guests.

A determined look in his eyes, he circled the burnt scene one last time, before rushing west...

~~~~~~~~~~

“I... don't blame you for not trusting me,” Aegis said, shame in his eyes, “But, it's another thing to trust the Moon Princess in my stead!”

“Aegis,” Chrys began in a calm, but stern tone, “I didn't just leave the hive because Mantis threatened my clutchlings. I left to make sure Amber wasn't leading our hive into a battle against some overpowered sun and moon moving ruler! If she is, we need to call off the attack. Dud says I can trust her, so it's just a matter of her trusting me. It's what I've decided,” she said resolutely, getting as close as she could to him despite their difference in stature. “If you don't like it, then just run on back to the hive. I don't need a liability looking over my shoulder,” she said coldly, getting a surprised look from the guard.

“I … won’t go. I am charged to protect you,” he then glanced to the side, “But princess—“

Queen Chrysalis! Don't make me repeat myself!”

“You are not my queen, young mare!” he snapped back, getting a surprised look from her, which he immediately mirrored, “M- My apologies, Your Highness, I didn't mean to shout.”

“...You're right,” Chrys replied, glancing to the side for a moment as she composed herself, “I'm not your queen, but I'm not a princess, either.”

“Understood, Highness.” Chrys eyed him for a moment longer, before letting out another sigh.

“...You really miss the big guy,” Momo pointed out, looking from Chrys, to Dud. Her gaze met his, and he glanced away, a distant look in his eyes that made her ears fall.

“Maybe we could ask the Shadowbolts to find him?” Dud offered, continuing to avoid looking at Momo, as he had since leaving Dodge.

“Whatever,” Chrys replied, getting odd looks from her company, “Bulwark will show up when he does. Let's keep moving,” she added as she got back in the carriage. Momo chanced another glance to the stallion, who perched himself on the roof. She frowned for a moment, before she hopped top. Dud continued to ignore Momo as she moved to his side.

“Keep moving, I'll stay up here for a little bit,” she said with a determined look, getting silence from the others as the carriage continued its trek. So in silence, she shared the roof with the stubborn pegasus, a little happy that he didn't decide to abandon it when she did.

“...Dud, are you gonna be cold to me all the way?” she asked in a worried tone, getting a glance from him. He looked to the side, considering her words for a long moment. He then let out a small sigh, as if he was letting go of something, before looking to her.

“You don't like being ignored," he said, getting a nod from her. "Momo, you didn't need me to come along. It's a straight road,” he said dismissively, pointing ahead with his wing, “The mountain that shadows over Canter Town is already visible, give or take obscuring clouds,” he added, making Momo look to the horizon, seeing something white and tall, that she was pretty sure wasn't a cloud. “So yeah. You really didn't need me.”

“You can't say that until we're there,” she said confidently, getting a flat look from him. “What? You can't!” He let out another sigh.

“...How are your wings feeling?”

“Cramped,” she said in annoyance, “Two more days until they're free...” she added, eyeing the sky longfully.

“...It's nice, isn't it?” he asked, his eyes following hers, wearing a small smile.

“Hey Dud... Is it too late to apologize for making you come along?”

“Depends, are you really sorry?” he asked, getting a flustered look from her, which made him chuckle. “I don't like that I was forced into it,” he admitted, making her ears fall, “But, I don't mind the company,” he added, wrapping a wing over her shoulder, getting a surprised blush from her. Her mind raced for a moment, tripping over what to say next.

“D- Dud, don't you think this is weird?” she asked, getting a curious look from him as her shade of red deepened. That was not the question she wanted to say.

“Well, let's see,” he began as he adopted an analytical look, “I'm a pony, you're a changeling. We're sitting on the roof of a royal carriage, like a pair of doves. We got into a fight, tackled and yelled at each other in the snow, and now I have you in a wing-hug. Yep, I’d say this is pretty weird,” he said sagely, getting a small laugh from her, “What's really weird, is that I kind of like this.”

“...Me too,” she said, leaning into him, making him blush. “...You know, Chrys told me the 'royal carriage' was a 'hearth’s heating gift'. What's that?”

“Hearth's Warming gift,” he replied, giving her a sly grin, “It's a holiday coming up that’s about being close to those you love and stuff. At the rate we're going, we'll probably hit Canter Town the day after the holiday.”

“Heh, sounds like a great holiday to be a changeling,” she said, before looking completely flustered. “T- That came out wrong—”

“It’s okay, I don’t mind,” he assured, making her bite her tongue in surprise.

“S- So, if it’s about love and ‘stuff’, why in winter? Why not spring?”

“You want to know?” he asked, sounding excited by the prospect as she nodded, “Well, it's a long story, about the founding of Equestria...” A story he had no trouble telling, having Momo's undivided attention.

All the while, Chrysalis eavesdropped on them, a smile on her face.

Seeing them like that gave her hope in this venture. A future where changelings and ponies sat side-by-side. She kind of liked the sound of that.

Author's Note:

This chapter and 23 were written together, but ended up being far longer than I preferred, so I split it in two. This kinda worked out, as the latter half of the pre-split chapter had a much different tone.
As always, I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and thanks for reading! :pinkiehappy: