• Published 29th Jul 2015
  • 16,097 Views, 2,846 Comments

Her Knight in Faded Armor - Doccular42



Princess Luna still feels alone, nineteen years after her return to Equestria. When she finds a friend in an online game, everything seems better. But not all is well in Equestria, and a sinister plot threatens everything that Luna holds dear...

  • ...
66
 2,846
 16,097

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude III Part I: Moves

“Do you play chess?”

Princess Celestia raised an eyebrow at General Chaput’s question. “I enjoy the occasional game,” she said. “But I do not play as often as I used to.”

The griffon smiled. “Of course, I understand that finding time might be difficult when you are so busy. And really, you must be proficient enough that most games would be trivial to you.”

“Oh, but that’s not the point of the game, my dear General. The point is always who you are playing with,” Celestia replied. She took a sip from her water.

“‘With whom you are playing,’” Chaput corrected. He grimaced. “I apologize, Princess. That was unworthy.”

“It must be a habit for you, General. I understand.” Celestia smiled demurely.

“Mmm. Thank you.” Chaput picked up the white queen and set it upon the board. “I adore chess,” he said. “In my opinion, it is the most elegant game ever created here on Equus. I have heard that you met the mare who invented the game, Highness. Is this true?”

Celestia nodded. “It is. I knew her long ago.”


“I am positively envious. I find it sad that so little is known of her… I would love to read her biography. Would you be willing to tell me what she was like?” Chaput picked up a black knight and placed it on the opposite side of the gameboard.

“She was a quiet mare. Very private. I would honor her memory by following her wishes.” Celestia sipped her water again. The smell of food wafted through the air, and she smiled. “Ah, dinner will be here soon.”

Nodding, Chaput placed a few more pieces onto the board. “Excellent, I am quite famished. Lunch was impeccable, but I fear that I spent more time conversing than eating.”


“Well, I am glad that you are hungry. You should appreciate this meal.” Celestia turned her head just in time to see a door open. Two mares walked into the private dining hall pulling trays laden with food. The first cart carried a plate of steaming bread, a large dish of fresh salad, and two bowls and plates. The second cart bore a bottle of red wine in a bath of ice, as well as two covered dishes.

Celestia’s personal butler followed the two carts into the room. He cleared his throat before speaking. “Princess Celestia, General Chaput. Dinner is served.”

The two mares placed the bread and salad onto the table as the butler spoke. “We are serving you our chef’s specialty: daisy and pomegranate salad and specifically selected bread in the Prench tradition. Our wine is an aged Sangiovese grown in the vineyards of the Crystal Empire.” He then trotted over and carried the main dishes to the table. “Tonight’s entrees are Ratatouille for the princess, and Bourride with Lemon Aioli for the general.” He raised the lid off the platter in front of Celestia to reveal intricately arranged vegetables in a light sauce. The general’s dish contained halibut garnished with fennel and several vegetables and fruit rinds. The fish steamed in a different light brown sauce.

“Ah, Bourride! I have not tasted this dish since my last trip to Prance,” Chaput exclaimed. “It smells delicious.”

“Thank you, sir.” The butler bowed. “We shall bring out dessert when you call, Highness.”

“Mmm, my thanks, Pierre.” Celestia nodded to the stallion who then bowed himself out of the room. The other servants followed.

Chaput moved his chessboard to the side of the table. “This is marvelous, Princess. It is like a taste of home.”

Celestia levitated the wine and poured two glasses. “I’m glad, General.”

“Of course, that is the intention, is it not?” Chaput asked. He accepted the goblet and nodded toward her. “The food, red wine, new, to this room at least, impressionist art, and even the bread. All Prench, and all designed to bring about a feeling of home and comfort. I am truly grateful for the effort.”

“Oh? What makes you say that the art is new to the room?” Celestia asked.

The griffon pointed at two of the pieces of artwork on the wall behind Celestia. “The walls. The spacing between most of the paintings is equidistant, but those two are different. They are also in the Prench style, and directly across from where you knew I would sit.” He smiled. “It is attention to detail such as this that makes me believe that you must be marvelous at chess.”

Celestia smiled. “Perhaps we shall see, after dinner of course.” She took a slice of bread and filled her bowl with salad. “Please, eat.”

Instead of picking up his own bowl, Chaput stood. “I will momentarily, Princess. But first, I have one order of business to which I must attend.” He reached into his saddlebags and pulled out a small device with a large button upon its face. He pressed the button, and it blinked twice. He pointed it toward the table, and the blinking increased. Chaput reached a talon under the low table and retracted another device that blinked lightly. He met Celestia's gaze. “I assume that you recognize this?”

Celestia merely raised an eyebrow. It was, of course, a similar device to the one hidden under her bed. This one hadn’t been there as of her last search of the room earlier in the day, which was disconcerting.

The general chuckled. “Of course you do.” He tightened his grip, and the bug crumpled into a useless hulk. “It would be foolish to assume otherwise.” He raised his detector once more and pointed it at the new paintings. It beeped twice, and he strode toward the artwork. Once he arrived, he retrieved another small item and looked at Celestia pointedly.

The princess said nothing. Chaput walked toward her and set it beside her plate.

“Princess, I wish to speak to you in complete privacy. I have extended a talon in good faith by destroying my own bug, and I request that you meet me halfway. Please, would you deactivate your listening device as well?” It was his turn to raise an eyebrow.

Celestia stared into his eyes for a few moments. The griffon’s gaze never wavered, and he stood his ground. Finally, Celestia nodded. Her magic surrounded the device. It glowed bright gold for a moment, rendering it inert.

Chaput smiled. “Excellent!” He returned to his seat. “Now, where were we?”

“I believe that we were about to eat,” she replied.

“Oh, yes. Of course.” Chaput retrieved some of the salad and two slices of bread. He grabbed his fork and took a small bite from the daisy and pomegranate garnished dish. “Mmm! This is delightful! Would it trouble you if I asked for the recipe when I return to Griffonia?”

Celestia shook her head. “It would not be a problem at all, General. I’m glad that you like it. In fact, I am pleasantly surprised. Most griffons despise vegetarian dishes. I hear that the lack of red meat can make the food seem unappealing.” She raised a dainty flower to her mouth with her fork and chewed thoughtfully.

The general swallowed another bite. “Oh, not me, Princess. I was raised in Prance by a pegasus couple. I am quite used to a diet heavy in fish, vegetables, and fruit. To be honest, I prefer it. Meat is so messy, even when cooked. And most of my kind do not cook their own, since they prefer it bloody. I find that distasteful.”

“Hmm,” Celestia remarked. She pursed her lips thoughtfully. “Very interesting.”

The pony and the griffon ate in silence for a few moments. Celestia took a small sip of her wine, and then she gently her glass back down. “I assume that you did not deactivate the recording devices so that we could talk about the food, no matter how pleasant the conversation might be.”

“Oh, of course not. But why rush? We have some time. And I would find it rude to take you away from your meal too soon. After all, you raise and lower the sun, not to mention all your other responsibilities as a leader of this nation. That surely must be quite tiring.” Chaput grinned slyly. “Don’t you think you may be overtaxing yourself?”

Celestia’s eyes narrowed slightly, but she composed herself. “Are you implying something, General?” Her tone stayed calm, but the clip to the cadence of her words carried their own sting.

“Oh, of course not! I merely mean to say that you will need your strength, will you not?” Chaput finished the last bite of his salad and pulled the bowl of fish toward him.

“That is thoughtful of you, General Chaput.” Celestia nodded, keeping her face a stony mask.

“But if you wish to begin the discussion now, I am not opposed!” Chaput lowered his fork and nodded back to her. “It is, as they say, ‘your party.’ I am but a guest here, and I have no wish to impose.”

“We can wait,” she replied. “Please, finish your meal first.”

They continued their dinner quietly. Celestia chewed slowly on the richly flavored vegetables of her entrée, all the while eyeing the griffon in front of her.

Chaput demonstrated manners most befitting his rank and upbringing. He ate carefully, and he sighed in appreciation as he ate the last of his soup. “This was delicious. Far better than anything they’d served on the ship.”

“I should hope so. My chef is one of the Crystal Empire’s most celebrated experts in cuisine. I’m sure he would be delighted that you enjoy his food so much.”

“Indeed. My compliments to him.” Chaput wiped his beak with a napkin. “Now, I suppose we have delayed long enough.”

“Yes.” Celestia nodded. “I would very much like to know why you wanted to meet me in private… and then ensure that we were not overheard.”

“Of course.” Chaput lowered his napkin and leaned forward. “Princess, I will tell you, but first I must share a story with you. I believe that you will find it enlightening.”

The princess raised an eyebrow.

“You see, Princess, chess has been a part of my life since I was but a hatchling. My adoptive father was a professor at a university, an expert in medicine. His wife was a well-to-do mare of noble Equestrian descent. I believe that she is of the same family as your Lady Fleur de Lis, although I may be mistaken. They instilled into me a love for the refined things in life, and one of those things was chess.” Chaput stretched his neck.

“Princess, I have played since I could barely walk. Not well, of course, but by the time I attended school, I was playing against opponents far older and more experienced than myself…” He met her eyes. “And I always won.”

Celestia took another sip of wine, but she never broke her concentration.

“As time went by, I played against many opponents. I beat the Prince of Prance when I was barely into secondary school. He was thirty at the time. I played the ambassador from Germaney, and he said I was a prodigy, but I did not believe so. I always saw my mistakes with brutal clarity, and I believe that is what drove me to be such a perfectionist.

“As I grew older, I felt the call to return to the mountains, to go home for the first time. So, I left my parents and went to Griffonia. I joined their army, and there I truly learned why I loved chess.” He smiled deviously. “I adore victory.”

Princess Celestia gently set her glass back down onto the table as the general continued.

“While on active duty, I had the pleasure to play against many opponents. I faced a Yak chessmaster once. It took me over an hour, but I eventually checkmated him with only a pawn, a bishop, and my own king. Sixty three moves. Once, I faced a minotaur warlord. He fancied himself a skilled player. A strong fighter he may have been, but not a wise tactician. I beat him in only three moves. It would have been a perfect fool’s mate, had I been playing as white. He did not take it well.” Chaput grinned broadly. “That’s when I got this.” He pointed to a scar on his left wing. “He received far worse.”

“This is fascinating,” Celestia said. “However, I fail to see the relevance beside giving you an opportunity to tell me what an excellent player you are.” She smiled at him. “You want me to play you later, yes? If so, maybe you shouldn’t tell me quite how skilled you are. Why should I fight a battle I know that I would lose?” She laughed to herself.

“I’m getting there, Princess. Also, I do not take you as one who would back down from a battle with an opponent, no matter how skilled they are. Oh, you might not play that particular game with them, but you would certainly combat them on a different field…” Chaput raised his eyebrow. “You and I are alike in that manner.”

“Very well, General,” Celestia said. “Please, continue.”

“Thank you, Highness. My story is almost finished. You see, these games were great fun, yes, but none of them compared to a game I played with a Zebran politician. I was on leave in the capital, and I sat in the park waiting for an opponent to join me. This zebra, a charming fellow who spoke only in rhyme, asked if we could play. And then he said the oddest thing. He told me that he was going to lose, and I would end the game with only my queen and king.

“I played white, so I moved first. As soon as I placed my piece, he told me what his next two moves would be. I was taken aback, and I made a slight mistake. Three moves later, he took my knight. He then told me his entire defensive strategy, and outlined his next several moves. Obviously, I was quite confused. I had no idea whether he was telling the truth, or if he planned to betray my trust the next move.” Chaput narrowed his eyes to a slit. “It was then that I learned one of the most important facts of politics. A lie is a lie, and the truth is the truth, but a half-truth is far more dangerous than either of those.”

Celestia leaned forward. “Indeed.”

“In the end, he had been telling the truth the entire time. But because I distrusted him, I moved into traps he had even warned me about. He made moves I would never have attempted, and took risks I would not have believed possible. But they succeeded, not because he was a skilled player, but because I did not believe him. I did win the game, and, oddly enough, I did so with only my king and queen. He had known the outcome before we even fought.

“Princess, I do not wish to deal in either lies or partial lies with you. You are a mare of greater wisdom than any of my previous adversaries. Instead, I will be completely honest with you.”

“That is an interesting statement, General. I am sure you know why I say that.” Celestia’s eyes twinkled.

“Oh, yes. I say that I am telling the truth, but how do you know that? I could be lying. That, my dear princess, is why I told you this story. I have played against many opponents, and every one of them needed a different strategy.” Chaput flexed a wing and grinned. “With you, no ploy would succeed. You didn’t even blink an eye when I retrieved my bug. Obviously, you know about them already, which meant that it was no coincidence that you spoke to your sister in your room about us several nights ago. You saw through Father Dmitri’s ham-taloned attempt at a farse, and you turned it around on him. Perfectly.”

The princess flared her nostrils, and Chaput grinned once more. “Oh, yes. Truth. But do not worry, Princess. I did not tell them that you knew, and they would not figure it out on their own.”

“Why would you not tell them?” Celestia asked.

“Why? Because they are fools, and I plan to betray them!” Chaput leaned back and widened his grin even further. “And this, Princess, is why I did not want unneeded ears.”

Princess Celestia crossed her front legs over her chest and eyed him warily. “Go on…”

“Ah, Princess. I am here on several missions. Dmitri wants me to stall you. He wants it to appear that we desire peace, but his plan requires there to be a threat of betrayal. I am to coerce you to continue to strengthen the defenses of Equestria with one talon whilst extending the other in friendship.” Chaput scoffed and rolled his eyes. “Because deceiving you is an excellent plan. After all, you are only the centuries old ruler of the most powerful nation in all of Equus.”

“Why would he want this, General?” Celestia lowered her hooves and stared at him.

“So that you would be so concerned about the security of your own nation that you would give him free reign to attack all his other targets with impunity.” Chaput leaned forward and took a small sip of wine. “Oh, this is wonderful,” he commented.

“So, your own superior wishes for you to feed us misinformation so that he could take advantage of other nations. And why would you not want that? Why would a general betray his master?”

Chaput narrowed his eyes. “He is not my master.”

Celestia decided to change tactics. She cocked her head to the side and squinted at him. “Really? Because it looks to me like he is the pulling the strings. He won the war. He took the throne. And you are now playing diplomat. Why is that?”

“Princess, the snide act does not suit you.” Chaput shook his head. “I will not answer your questions on those matters.”

Celestia grunted. “Very well. But why would you choose to betray him, and why would you tell me?

“Because, as I said earlier, you and I are similar. We do not want war. War is death to our people, and that is not needed. No, we wish to grow inside our own borders. I tell you because you are intelligent. You know that Dmitri is a monster. He has torn Griffonia apart, ruined our people, and cost the world more lives than any other griffon since the Black Ages. He isn’t a leader. He’s a power hungry bastard who would eat his own mother if it would buy him one more inch of territory,” Chaput growled. “I stand on my balcony in his castle, and I can hear them. The griffons in the factories. They work fourteen hours a day for only enough scraps to feed their families. They labor to enable an industrial machine that only exists to grow for the sake of growing. There is no agenda to his machinations besides the actions themselves.” He closed his eyes. “Sometimes, I can block them out, the workers, with music or wine. But then, a scream breaks through the night. In response, my soul roars out in tandem, and its cry says, ‘This. Is. Wrong.’”

Celestia stared at the griffon. He stood abruptly and paced the room. “He does not care about Griffonia. He only cares for himself and his appetites. It is as if he feeds on war and hatred, and we are his farm.” He stopped and met her eyes. “I would not be the same. I came to Griffonia out of a desire for my own kind. I fought for a corrupt king, and then I took a chance to destroy him. I have already toppled one regime. One more, and I will have peace for my fellow griffons. Not a peace of servitude, but a peace that gives them a chance to live, for the first time in a generation.”

Celestia watched as he strode back to his seat. “And that, Princess, is why I tell you all of this.”

The steel in his eyes met the fire in her gaze.

“I need your help.”

Author's Note:

Just as a side note, I always listen to music while I write, and I thought that I'd start sharing it with you guys, if that's okay! Tonight, it was Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson. I thought it was fitting. :raritywink:

Thanks again to m1ntf4n for editing!

PreviousChapters Next