• Published 18th Jul 2015
  • 1,169 Views, 24 Comments

The Guard And His Sword - Himntor



The son of a Canterlot noble, forced into becoming a Royal Guard by his strict father, strives to live up to the family legacy. He finds himself, despite his powerful magic sword, only living up to a legacy of failure. He intends to change that.

  • ...
1
 24
 1,169

PreviousChapters Next
Reconciliation

Since I already had a packed suitcase with me, I figured there was no reason to run home for anything else. However, there were probably no trains going to Manehattan at this hour. Maybe I could just teleport myself there using my sword.

Once outside the barracks I began the spell, focusing on where I wanted to teleport myself and the sword; right outside my mother’s apartment building. One… two…

Boom.

And suddenly the entire front of the barracks, myself, and a few other Royal Guards were covered in what seemed to be pancake mix. Wet pancake mix.

Discord’s voice echoed from the sword, “WAFFLE mix!

Justice appeared in the doorway. “What in Equestria just happened?”

“Discord,” I sighed. “Discord happened.”

Justice hunched down and his eyes darted around. “Where is he? Has he returned to evil?”

I tried to wipe my face off, but it did little good. “No, he’s just decided to randomly manifest himself through my sword. It’ll be in my report. Here.”

I cast a spell—not using my sword—to clean up all the mix. Most of the mess vanished, though it still felt like there was something stuffed in my ear.

Let’s try that again.

One… two…

Poof!

…my sword vanished.

“Oh yeah, much better than it was before,” I grumbled.

Whatever, I’ll take a train home and leave tomorrow.

“Lieutenant?” Justice called.

“Nothing to worry about, Sir. I’ll see you in a couple of weeks, hopefully sooner.”

“Alright then, you take care.”

I trotted off to the train station, carrying my luggage on my back, and thankfully there were almost always trains coming from or going to Ponyville in the evenings. On the ride home I reached out with my magic to try finding where my sword had disappeared to, but it was as if it had ceased to exist.

Thanks Discord, what a great reward. He had better be able to bring it back next time I bump into him.

I made it home and decided to put everything in my suitcase away. I really wasn’t going to need anything but bits in Manehattan, and a saddlepack was good enough for that. Then again, without my sword I did still feel somewhat vulnerable. Maybe I could take my grandfather’s shield with me.

The thing was stored in the office room, which was looking like it could really use some dusting. It was a kite shield, shaped like Shining Armor’s cutie mark, but silver with a blue trim. Taking the shield in my magic I put it on my back and used its straps to tie it on. It fit perfectly. Yeah, this would do.

In the morning I decided to take a walk to stretch my legs. The train to Manehattan didn’t leave for a little while anyway, and it was beautiful outside.

AHH-CHOOO!

Wow, somepony had it bad. Wait, that sneeze sounded oddly like Discord. And it had come from Twilight’s place.

AHH-CHOO!

Yup, he was definitely at Twilight’s. Well, there was really no reason not to go up and knock. Sure, Twilight was a Princess now, but she couldn’t be that different. It wasn’t as if she was unhelpful in the first place either, so I went up to the door and knocked.

Twilight opened the door, looking quite disheveled and nothing like a Princess. Maybe a little taller. “Oh, good morning Lieutenant Shield. Is there something I can help you with?”

I looked past her and saw Discord lying under a bedsheet and surrounded by a large purple shield. He was green.

“Just looking for him,” I said, pointing.

“Please tell me Celestia sent you to take him off my hooves.”

“Unfortunately, no. May I come in?”

Twilight sighed. “Of course.”

“Back so soon?” Discord asked as I entered, sniffling. “I assume you’re here to thank me for restoring your sword to glory.”

“Actually I’m here because it vanished and I have no idea where it went. I’m thinking you might have an idea.”

“What happened to your sword?” Twilight asked.

“It’s a long story, Discord could tell you if you’re curious. So, where is it?”

“It may have slipped into my realm on accident,” Discord said dismissively, turning his back to me and pulling the bedsheet further over himself. “All you have to do is say the magic phrase to bring it back.”

“Which is?”

Discord’s detached claw floated up over his head and spoke for him. “Honestly, I thought you would’ve guessed it. ‘Discord is the greatest there ever was’.”

Twilight and I both rolled our eyes.

I turned to her. “How exactly did he end up here in this state?”

Twilight went to pour a glass of water for Discord. “Yesterday Cadance and I had planned to spend the day together, only Discord decided to fake a blue-flu and test my friendship to him. Now he’s gotten sick for real.”

“I see. Well, Discord is the greatest there ever was—” My sword blinked back into existence around my waist. I smiled. “—at getting what he deserves.”

Discord turned back to me and pouted. “Now, that’s not fair. AHH-CHOO! Don’t make me change the magic phrase to be more specific.”

“I can’t imagine how you could make it any better. Well, best of luck, Twilight. Don’t let him get to you too much.”

“Thanks, I’m sure I can handle him,” Twilight said. “Luckily Fluttershy should be on her way back, so she’ll be able to take over.”

“She’s certainly taking her sweet time,” Discord grumbled.

I turned to the door and stopped midway. “Oh! I nearly forgot to tell you, Twilight. Sunset Shimmer says hi.”

Twilight gasped. “How do you—you went there!? When—how? The Mirror Portal should be closed!”

“Discord helped with that. Princess Celestia sent me there to stop the magic entity that had been living in my sword, which had somehow made its way to that strange place. Celestia thought it could threaten both our worlds.”

Twilight blinked. “Our worlds were in danger and Celestia didn’t even send for me? Let alone tell me?”

Some petty part of myself wanted to gloat in her face, YES, she had ME do the saving this time, NOT you! But my heart wasn’t really in it.

“She said it was my particular talents and connection with the entity that made her chose me instead of you. Sending you probably would’ve been the backup plan if I hadn’t returned, but thankfully I had it all taken care of. Your friends helped though.”

“Oh. That’s good, I’m glad it sounds like they’re doing well. They are doing well, right?”

“Yeah, pretty well. Sunset seemed to be struggling a bit, but from what I could tell, she’s in a good place.”

“Oh good. Thank you for the update, I appreciate it.”

“Of course. I’ll see you later, Twilight. Bye Discord.”

“Yes, yes, and I expect a get-well-soon card considering everything I’ve done for you lately,” Discord said.

I rolled my eyes and continued my morning walk.

That hadn’t been so bad. Now that I thought about it, my whole gripe with Twilight had really been about my own failures and shame at not making my father proud. There was no longer any reason for me to hold any ill feelings towards her. I couldn’t envy how well she had her life together compared to mine. She had the weight of Equestria on her shoulders more than anypony else except perhaps Celestia and Luna. Though I probably shouldn’t compare, considering it was already difficult enough dealing with my family and duties. Twilight was capable of handling what life threw her way, and I was capable of handling what it threw mine. In the end, we’ve both saved Equestria at least once.

That was honestly so weird.

After making a round through the town I went back home to pack my saddlebags and grab my grandfather’s shield. Or, I suppose now, my shield. Even with my sword back I figured it was a good idea to keep it with me. Probably better to use it more than the chaos-imbued sword anyway.

A short time later I was on the train to Manehattan, hoping Katana hadn’t gotten into any trouble yet. Flash Sentry was probably on his way down too. It would be good to have some extra hooves, especially of the sort that could keep Katana in check.

One thing I didn’t look forward to was seeing my mother. I had hardly spoken with her since… what would I even say? What could I do to make up for how I had behaved? Apologize, at least, and probably start with that. I could figure out the rest from there.

The train ride was uneventful, as they usually were, and I arrived in Manehattan around mid-afternoon. Flash Sentry found me just outside of Grand Central Terminal, no armor but with his own saddlebags and a round crystal shield. He saluted once he reached me and I returned it.

“How long have you been waiting?” I asked.

“Only about half an hour,” he said. “Where to first?”

I took a deep breath. “My mom’s. That’s where Katana said to meet her. It’s not far.”

“Following you, Sir.”

I nodded and moved down the street, then began zigzagging down roughly a dozen different streets, remembering the route to my mom’s that Katana had taken me. We found and entered the apartment, up a couple flights of stairs and down a hall. Door 306. With a deep breath, I knocked.

The door opened quickly to Katana. “Took you long enough,” she said, then did a double take as she noticed Flash. “What’s he doing here?”

“Backup.”

Katana rolled her eyes and waved a hoof, inviting us in. I anxiously looked around as I entered.

“Where’s my mom?” I asked.

“She went out for groceries not too long ago,” Katana said, hopping with a flap of her wings onto the couch to lounge. “So, you guys got a plan?”

Flash and I put our shields against the wall next to the front door. “I thought you were coming up with a plan.”

“What, I’m supposed to be the brilliant detective? Cous’, I know how to avoid trouble on the streets, not track down missing family members. Don’t they train you for this?”

“No,” Flash said.

Katana sat up. “What the buck do they train you for then?”

“Standing, fighting, formal events, paperwork,” I said.

“Mostly standing,” Flash said.

Katana pulled at her eyelids. “Sweet Celestia, you guys are killin’ me. Can’t you just learn some magic spell that will solve all our problems?”

“I could start casting random spells on my sword and hope Discord’s little gift does something useful,” I said, maybe even a little serious.

“We could start with aerial scouting,” Flash suggested.

I nodded. “Not a bad idea. Maybe a sight spell would work on my sword. I could stay right here and cover a lot of ground that way.”

“I don’t know if you guys noticed,” Katana said, “but this city is huge, and there’s a whole lot of places to hide from eyes in the sky.”

“You knew your brother better than either of us,” Flash said. “What sort of place do you think he’d hide?”

Katana sat back in thought. “Somewhere easy to escape from if needed and out of the way. I think that’s why he went to Fillydelphia in the first place. He wouldn’t be anywhere you’d typically think somepony would try to hide though. That would be places like sewers, among the poor and homeless, some random dark alley.”

“So an apartment of some kind?” I asked.

Katana shook her head. “I don’t think so. Nowhere so domestic.”

“Governmental buildings?” Flash asked. “Maybe somewhere around Town Hall?”

“Not a chance, he’s not so stupid to hang around anywhere with any decent security.”

“What about libraries?” I asked.

Katana hesitated. “The libraries close at eight. Except… Buckler Library is always open. It’s huge, clear other side of Manehattan. Stonehenge never really cared for reading, but then maybe that’s the point. Some ponies say there’s creepy old labyrinths beneath Buckler too.”

I snorted. “Doubt it, but it could be worth checking out.”

“I’ve been to Buckler,” Flash said. “It’s an exclusive library. Only students, teachers, and patrons can get in. I suppose Royal Guards are allowed too.”

“Stonehenge could’ve found a way in,” Katana said, getting off the couch. “I can watch the outside while you two go in.”

“Sounds like a plan,” I said.

The door opened and my mom walked in, a bag of groceries on her back. She stopped as her eyes landed on me, and I felt my heart sink into my stomach.

“Mom,” I said, hesitantly walking up to her. “It’s good to see you. I, uh… I know you must have mixed feelings about seeing me. I’m sorry for everything before. It wasn’t… I should’ve… I…”

She stared at me as she levitated the grocery bag to the floor beside her. Then she stepped forward and pulled me into an embrace.

“My little Shield,” she whispered. “You came back.”

“What?” I gasped. “Mom… why? After what I did…”

“You still came back, and that’s all I ever wanted. At the funeral I could see that you still needed time.” She let go of me. “Your speech was wonderful, by the way.”

“Oh… thanks. I really am sorry about everything; I should’ve been here for you through the worst of it.”

“It’s alright. Things have been difficult for all of us, and we deal with them in different ways. What’s important is that, in the end, we’re still a family. So, who’s your handsome friend?”

“Ah, that’s Flash Sentry. I was going to ask if it’s too much if all three of us stayed here for a while.”

Flash stepped forward and gave her a salute. “I’ve come to help search for Stonehenge. You have my word that I won’t be a bother; in fact you’ll hardly even know I’m here. One of our Royal Guard specialties.”

“Nonsense,” Mom said with a smile. “You’re most welcome here. It will be nice to have some company for a change. Do you know where you’re going to start searching?”

“We just came up with one idea,” I said. “We were about to leave for Buckler Library.”

“Oh? Interesting. Your father spent a lot of time there, you know.”

“Really? Doing what?”

Mom picked up the groceries with her magic levitated them over to the nearby kitchen counter. “Mostly reading, but he held a few business lectures there too. Well, I shouldn’t keep you. Katana, I’ll have the office room all set up for you when you get back. The boys can take the couches.”

“Nah, I’ll take the couch,” Katana said. “They can have the office. Yes, I’m sure aunt Sacred.”

Mom rolled her eyes. “If you say so. Go on now. Dinner is at six, so you haven’t got much time.”

I was about to run out the door when I stopped myself and turned to Flash and Katana. “It’ll be faster to fly.” I took my sword out, and, clenching my teeth, shaped it into a surfboard. It didn’t explode or anything. Hopping on, flying came naturally. “Let’s go. Out the balcony.”

PreviousChapters Next