• Published 16th Jul 2015
  • 566 Views, 15 Comments

Secret Agent Changeling - Darkmetroidz



A group of Changelings sneak into Ponyville to collect energy for the hive. What they get is a lot more than they bargained for.

  • ...
1
 15
 566

Chapter 1- Briefing Day

Calypso trembled as Queen Chrysalis' cruel green eyes mercilessly scanned over her body. She knew what the consequence would be if the Queen was in any way disappointed with what she saw. At best she would be forced to do menial drone work for the rest of her miserable life, things like cleaning waste or digging latrines. If the Queen was very unhappy, she would bite her head off on the spot, to recycle her essence to make way for a more worthy Changeling. Since the day she hatched, Calypso had been training her hardest, both waiting for and dreading this day. Despite the fact that her teachers had called her nothing short of remarkable, she still feared the Queen's judgment.

After what felt like forever, the Queen finally gave her an approving nod and she retreated back to stand in line with the others in her group. They, like her, had all been subject to the Queen's scrutiny, and had all been deemed acceptable. If the stories she had heard were true, this was the first group in ages where Chrysalis hadn't consumed one of the young pupils.

She looked at the other eight faces in the row beside her. All had the same blue eyes, similar fangs, and webbed mane. They nine were all that remained of what had started as a clutch of a hundred eggs. Since they had hatched, they had been raised by a rigorous training regime that was far beyond what most members of the hive experienced. They were not ordinary drones. To the ponies, they were called Sappers. But inside the hive, they were known as Infiltrators.

Their caste held the most dangerous, but also the most exciting duty in Changeling society. They were the ones who would blend into Pony communities and siphon off love energy to feed the rest of the hive. The benefits of the job were numerous; the ability to travel relatively freely, the potential to become wealthy and enjoy the many pleasures of Pony society, not to mention the fact that having sexual relations was not only allowed, but encouraged. But perhaps the most seductive reward was the possibility of becoming famous. There were a few names among the Changelings that defied years and remained legendary. Anathema, who created a love poison so potent, it destroyed a pony's ability to focus on anything but their lover, or Oedipus, who brought an entire Earth Pony kingdom to its knees by engineering a scandalous relationship between a Prince and his mother. While their principal goal was to feed, Infiltrators were encouraged to create as much chaos as possible, because it would help interfere with any plans by the ponies to locate and destroy the Hive.

Calypso, Orion, Cassiopeia, Odysseus, Pandora, Io, Antigone, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern were the nine that would go on to serve the Hive. They bowed down before their Queen, who sat in her throne, a black, twisted mass of stone and metal that much resembled the being that sat in it. "You nine have endured much to make it here today. I offer you congratulations for surviving this far, but remember- everything you have faced so far pales in comparison to what awaits you." Chrysalis stood up and sauntered toward a large hole carved into the wall. "Come," she beckoned.

The group followed her into the tunnel, staying a respectful distance behind. The queen towered over all of them, standing more than twice as tall as Odysseus, who was the tallest of the group, and nearly thrice the height of Pandora.

The tunnel put them in a dimly lit cavern that was bare save a large map of Equestria drawn out in glowing webbing and slime. Each settlement was marked off with a crystal, from the smallest village to the biggest metropolis. Everywhere, Changeling scales stuck out of the map, each one carved with a name. "Welcome to my map room." Chrysalis smiled. "It is here that you will receive your assignments. Now, who can tell me what are your directives as an Infiltrator?"

Orion's hoof shot up. "One; do not blow your cover. Two; extract as much love as possible, providing it does not conflict with directive one. Three; cause as much disorder as possible, providing it does not conflict with directives one or two." He smiled smarty, chest puffed out. Calypso rolled her eyes. He always acted more like a soldier than a sneak, an attitude he had best fix. Soldiers rarely last long behind enemy lines, after all.

Chrysalis nodded, "Exactly. Today each of you will be assigned to blend in among a community in Equestria, and begin to collect food for the hive. There will be a home awaiting all of you upon arrival. Now, who can tell me what these scales on my map mean?"

Calypso stepped forward. "Each represents an Infiltrator who is in an area. The more scales, the more agents."

"Perfect," Chrysalis purred. She ran her hoof gently over all their heads, before suddenly and unceremoniously yanking a scale from the base of Io's neck. "Io, you along with Cassiopeia and Odysseus will be sent to Manehattan. I want you to assume your best city pony disguise. Go." On command, the trio enveloped themselves in green fire, replacing their scaly changeling exterior with the pastel fur of ponies. Io had become a pale blue pegasus with a cloudy white mane. Odysseus, always the showoff, had become a buff Earth Pony stallion with a flaming mane and chestnut fur. Cassiopeia, more modest, turned into a tall, slender mint green unicorn with a brown mane.

Chrysalis nodded approvingly at each of their disguises. "Well done. Once we are done here, you will all report to the Supply Warren to find costumes to go with your disguises. For now, return to your true forms." Another three flashes, and their disguises were gone, leaving three black Changelings where a moment ago stood three ponies. Chrysalis pulled a scale from Cassiopeia and Odysseus' necks, and instructed them to carve their names into them.

While they were at work, Chrysalis began doling out the rest of the assignments. "Pandora, you will be posing as a new migrant to Appleoosa." Calypso could hear the tiny mare cursing under her breath. She had dreamt of going to the big city, either Manehattan or Las Pegasus, but instead would be living in what she had called "Butt-buck nowhere" for the foreseeable future. Calypso did not envy her in the slightest.

"Orion and Antigone will be replacing the old Canterlot agents who were… discovered a few months ago." Antigone swallowed hard. Even the normally brash Orion shuddered at the mention of the accursed city. Canterlot was easily the most dangerous place in Equestria for a Changeling. Since the planned invasion during Princess Cadence's wedding was royally foiled, the Royal Guard had been on high alert for their kind, even more so than normal. Historically, Canterlot was where more agents died than anywhere else in Equestria. Getting sent there was practically suicide.

"Calyspo, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, you three will have the honor of starting a new infestation." The news perked up Calypso's ears. Being the first changeling in a settlement was hard work, but it was likely to make her name famous in the hive. Even if she had to share the glory with those two idiots.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern had made it through training by dumb luck and sheer coincidence. They had the combined I.Q. of a potato and were practically joined at the hip. If there was anypony in the group Calypso thought was likely to blow their cover, it was them. She wasn't sure what surprised her more, that the Queen had left them together, or was allowing them to participate in a job as important as this one.

Calypso raised her hoof. "Your highness, what town will we be colonizing?"

"A small village a few miles south of Canterlot. In the past, it was just an unimportant farming town. It was so insignificant, it has been able to fly under my radar for years. However, that’s all changed. A lot of recent events have been connected to this town. Now they even have a Princess. You three will be in charge of infesting Ponyville."