• Published 12th Jul 2015
  • 443 Views, 19 Comments

Darkening of Equestria - DeejayShuffle



Deep in the frozen wastes lays an evil long forgotten. An enigma wiped from the history books, merely a foals tale. When it rises again to extract its revenge, the ponies of Equestria will learn just how vulnerable they really are.

  • ...
4
 19
 443

Prologue

Thousands of years ago--

The air was stuffy, filled with smoke and the sharp scent of blood. Hundreds of Celestia’s soldiers had died here; and the tyrant who killed them cared nothing for them at all. That tyrant was Dracarthus, the ruthless stallion who had started this conflict. He had emerged from parts unknown with a massive army of his minions, bent on destroying Equestria. He started by destroying the Crystal Empire in quick and brutal fashion, taking the entire Empire by surprise, and conquering with only a few minor scuffles. Rumor had it that he had since left the Empire however, and left one of his most powerful underlings to watch over it. Despite all her efforts though, his motives for attacking were still unclear. Celestia’s forces eventually set up a front line on the border of the Crystal Empire to contain Dracarthus, but the army needed frequent help from Celestia and Luna when key points on the front lines were being attacked. His forces attacked without pity nor mercy. To him, warriors were not valiant stallions who fought and died for their nation, they were merely impudent obstacles to his conquest. This state of mind disgusted Celestia, but she also slightly admired it. After all, she would not be here repelling his forces if this way of thinking did not work.

She shifted her focus back to her current task; locating and destroying Dracarthus's forces in the area, before they captured this battle line. Suddenly, something appeared to move in the haze ahead of them. Celestia was alert, but far from panicked at this; she did however draw her large battle sword in case whatever was moving out there decided to strike first.

Celestia began to move deeper into the haze and smoke; but much to her regret because as soon as she did, one of Dracarthus's shadow warriors leaped out of the gloom in an attempt to take her by surprise. Celestia immediately whipped around and swung her sword to deflect the incoming blow. This foolish soldier had no idea who he was toying with. The two fighters exchanged blocks and lunges, but Celestia finished the amateur with a simple fake out. She thrust her sword into his gut, and watched as he dissolved into a blood-like ink before her.

Dracarthus's dark magic was admirable, he had an eye for detail; and his soldiers were well trained. They were nothing compared to Celestia’s skill and lethality though.

“There’s bound to be more where that one came from!” A visibly nervous soldier exclaimed.

“These warriors are resourceful and well trained, keep your guard up,” Celestia said, as calm and tactful as ever.

“Of course your highness.” The soldier nodded to her in confirmation.

A deep, foreboding voice rang out from the smoke, “So, one of the spineless rulers of this pitiful nation has come to aid her troops?”

Celestia sharply inhaled, and her eyes grew wide. That voice only belonged to one pony, Dracarthus himself. Questions and fear whirled around in her mind. Why had Dracarthus finally shown up on the front lines again? What forces had he brought with him? She couldn’t be sure, but she had to be brave, or Dracarthus might prey upon such weakness.

She put on a brave face, and gritted her teeth. She was not fond of being insulted. “I am far more than a ruler and diplomat Dracarthus!”

Dracarthus chuckled. “Then prove it to me.”

In an instant, five of Dracarthus's elite shadow warriors emerged from the smoke, and poised themselves for battle.

“This is how a mighty all-consuming tyrant slays his enemies? By sending his underlings?” Celestia asked in a taunting voice.

Dracarthus growled in hate. “Miserable cow! Your pride will be your hubris! If you are so capable, then I will finish you myself!”

This was why he was here. Dracarthus had come to finish her. She was confident that she could win this fight. After all, now she had him right under her hoof. “Reveal yourself, Dracarthus!”

The smoke parted, and standing across from Celestia was the tyrant himself. He was clad in full polished obsidian battle armor which made his long and sharp horn stand out. His coat was a deep gray, and his mane and tail were a mystifying dark purple that rippled on its own. Despite his large frame, he seemed oddly thin for a stallion of his size; something Celestia took note of.

Dracarthus bared his razor sharp teeth. “Your move, princess.”

Celestia knew this taunt was meant to lure her into a state of rage, but she was smarter than that. She barreled at Dracarthus and raised her sword.

Dracarthus grinned; she had taken the bait, and now he would end her quickly. Celestia appeared to come down for a strike, and Dracarthus prepared to block. At the last second however, she faked him out and bucked his side. Dracarthus grunted and stumbled backward, but he was still very capable of fighting her. He blocked multiple blows from her as he regained his balance, and once he was on his hooves again, he increased the ferocity of his attacks. The two titans exchanges strike after strike, blow after blow, for what seemed to be eons.

Celestia was worn thin. Bruised and bloodied, she thrusted him back with a massive magical shockwave and then shouted, “We are at an impasse Dracarthus, and you appear to be physically weaker than most. I can hold out longer! Concede and end this fight!”

Dracarthus was the more battered of the two. He was covered in cuts and blood, and his breathing had become wheezy and erratic. “You have a good eye for personal weakness, Celestia. I tire of this fight, but no matter the cost, I will kill you.”

Celestia frowned. “So be it.”

She galloped towards a weakened Dracarthus and swung her sword at him. He jumped to deflect the blow, but the damage had already been done. The sword came down on his right eye piercing its soft outer tissue. He bellowed in pain and blew Celestia back with a massive magical beam.

Dracarthus screamed in pain and shouted at Celestia, “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!”

Celestia grinned. “What have I done? I have won this fight.”

Celestia’s horn lit up, and she used all of her magical power to cast a spell upon her sword. With so much power all concentrated in one place, Celestia’s eyes began to blaze with magical power, and the blade of her sword turned to flame. Bringing her sword down on the heart of Dracarthus, she impaled him; and the magic in the sword began to dissolve his body piece by piece.

Dracarthus let out a scream and uttered, “THIS IS NOT MY FINAL GRAVE!

With his last words uttered, the final bits of Dracarthus's body were dissolved.

Celestia let out a long sigh. “That finishes it. Soldiers!”

There was nothing but smoke and silence around her. Celestia let out a heavy sigh. How foolish of her to forget! Those shadow knights had to have gone somewhere. How dishonorable of Dracarthus to have his minions slay her soldiers while she was fighting him! At the very least, she hoped they would be the final casualties of this war. She spread her wings and took to the sky desperately needing a medic to tend to her wounds.

After a short but painful flight, Celestia landed in front of the medical tent. She walked in and waited to be tended to, when Luna walked into the tent.

Luna looked at Celestia puzzlingly. “You don’t look very good sister, did something unexpected happen on your elimination mission?”

Celestia grinned and chuckled. “Sister, you have no idea.”