• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 587 Views, 10 Comments

Sapphire and Steel: Assignment Equestria - Bemused Fox



A crossover between an obscure creepy low-budget 1980s British sci-fi show, and MLP: FiM!

  • ...
 10
 587

Chapter 2

From the summit of a grassy hill, a solitary form surveyed the town with disdain. This was neither the assignment nor the location he’d been expecting, and the frivolous architecture of the settlement below did nothing to improve his mood. Behind him, a twig snapped underhoof as somepony approached. He didn’t turn around. After a moment, the newcomer spoke.
‘Hello Steel. It’s been a long time.’

He gave a curt nod. ‘Sapphire. I’ve been waiting.’ He stood up, stumbling forward momentarily as he did so.
Sapphire smiled. ‘Four legs, Steel. Takes a little practice. You would appear to have incarnated as a pony.’ She paused, familiarising herself with her new form. ‘And I’m a unicorn, how delightful! But not exactly our usual corner of reality.’
‘Hmm. So where are we?’

The blue unicorn’s eyes glowed for a moment, retrieving the information. When she spoke, her voice was distant. ‘Equestria. The rules are…different…here. More pliable. Utilisation of focused psychic energy - magic, for want of a better term. Our talents may seem less…impressive…to the natives than we’re accustomed to.’ She raised an eyebrow in amusement. ‘You may just have to get by with your charm and dazzling personality, Steel.’

Steel glowered at her, but said nothing in response. Unabashed, she continued. ‘Equines are the dominant species in this paticular land, but sentience is common to most creatures in this world to a greater or lesser extent. A peaceful culture stretching back over two thousand years. Benevolent monarchical government. Technological advancement is….erratic. Economic system is-‘

The grey pony stamped his hoof impatiently. ‘Irrelevant details. We’re here to do a job, Sapphire. The same job we always do – they break Time, we fix it before it can get loose. Now, can you tell where we're needed?’

The unicorn nodded toward the town. ‘There, I believe. Ponyville. The library. An old building, filled with very old books. There have been - ' she closed her eyes and concentrated - 'two deaths in the building. Both natural, none within the last forty years.'

Steel frowned. 'Is that relevant?' She shook her head. 'I don't think so. Just a trace of lingering sadness. One of them was a new-born foal. The issue we're facing is much more recent. I can feel it - a fissure ripped in Time, not more than a year ago. A small one so far, but…’
‘What was the trigger?’
‘An instance of time-travel, I suspect. It feels like that, at any rate. But…
‘Time-travel!’ Steel muttered. ‘Wherever we end up, the same reckless creatures making the same stupid mistakes, never thinking about the consequences. Why do we even bother, Sapphire?’

She smiled briefly. ‘You know why, Steel. And don’t pretend you’d ever not intervene. But there’s something more here, it feels….’

The unicorn turned to her companion with a look of alarm. ‘Steel, something’s already come through. We’ve arrived too late. It’s already started.’