• Published 19th Aug 2016
  • 8,438 Views, 388 Comments

Across the Shimmering Sea - Albi



Twilight Sparkle is kidnapped by Sunset Shimmer and her pirate crew to hunt down a legendary treasure. A high-seas adventure awaits!

  • ...
18
 388
 8,438

Chapter III: The Crimson Heart


Twilight had gained her sea legs long ago, but her stomach churned as she bobbed up and down on the little boat. She couldn’t see anything, just hear excited voices around her and the distant cries of the townspeople. Her hands and feet were bound in thick ropes that chafed whenever she moved, which, thanks to the waves, was quite a lot. With the gag in her mouth, she could only breathe through her nose, making it hard to hyperventilate.

The boom of a nearby cannon made her jump in her seat, and several hands pushed her back down. One hand stayed on her shoulder, and a voice said, “Easy there, Miss Velvet. No point in jumping ship unless you can swim like an eel.”

Twilight tried to speak, but only managed muffled grunts. They really thought she was her mother. But that begged the question why were they looking for Twilight Velvet? She had been dead for a decade. Unless…

A great fluttering rose in Twilight’s heart. Could her mother have survived the storm? Could she be alive somewhere out there? But then why hadn’t she come home? And how were these pirates associated with her? All of the questions and the possibility that her mother might be alive made Twilight’s stomach squirm even more. She was almost glad she was gagged; it was good incitive to not throw up.

The boat bumped against something, and everyone around her began to move, rocking the boat even more. Hands grabbed her from all sides and hoisted her up none too gently. Twilight landed on damp wood, fresh with the scent of brine and rum. The rocking of the sea was less pronounced here, but she could still feel herself swaying.

Her blindfold was ripped off, and Twilight beheld the deck of the Crimson Heart through her smudged glasses. It was at least one hundred feet from where she sat to the bow, and twisting her head, another thirty feet to the aft. The width was equally impressive, measuring another fifty feet at least. It was all made up of polished dark red wood speckled with seawater that reflected in the moonlight. Cannons mounted the sides of the ship, crates of cannonballs next to each of them. Large barrels were tucked against the gun deck, flanking a door with skull and crossbones painted on it. Three masts towered over Twilight, the red sails currently rolled up.

Twilight’s kidnappers climbed onto the ship after her, just as the skull door opened up. The woman who walked out had dark blue hair with two lighter shades running throughout it. Her eyes were yellow and fierce, complementing the scowl on her face. She was dressed just how Twilight imagined pirates to look: black vest and leather boots, a puffy white shirt, and grey baggy pants. All that was missing was a hat. Instead, she had goggles sitting on her forehead.

She took one look at Twilight, and her eyes widened in outrage. “Who is this?” she said, low and lethal.

The short orange-haired pirate looked quizzically from Twilight to the other girl. “Umm, Twilight Velvet?”

“That’s not Twilight Velvet!” the girl yelled. She clapped a hand over her mouth, and fear washed out the fury in her eyes. When she spoke again, it was in her low, dangerous voice. “I gave you idiots a picture! How could you screw it up?”

Lemon crossed her arms. “Hey, to be fair, it was a black and white drawing. And she looks just like Twilight Velvet.”

“Ugghhh!” The girl ran a hand down her face. “I knew I should have gone with you idiots!” She snapped a finger toward Pony Bay. “Toss her overboard, go back, and find the real Twilight Velvet before—”

The door opened again, making a sharp squeal, and everyone around Twilight went rigid, the looks in their eyes matching the blue-haired girl’s. The very atmosphere around Twilight changed, tightening until it could be cut with a knife.

“Captain on deck!” a squeaky voice from on high yelled. From the shadows of the ship, several more bodies appeared and lined up behind Twilight. They all faced the door, and the figure stepping out of it.

A black cloak, utterly silent, drifted across the deck and stopped in front of Twilight. Their hood was up and cast a deep shadow, making it impossible to see inside. Twilight could still feel their eyes scouring over every inch of her, examining, weighing, judging. The hairs on her neck stood up, and ice dropped into her stomach. The cold was countered by a faint heat radiating from the cloaked figure.

The tension in the air drew to a snapping point when the figure drew a breath. “Indigo,” a raspy voice said from beneath the hood, “this isn’t Twilight Velvet.”

The blue-haired girl Twilight now knew to be Indigo took a tiny step forward. “I… I know, Captain. Lemon thought she had found Velvet but—”

“I asked you for Twilight Velvet!” the voice rose to a yell, becoming duel-toned in its infliction. “Not a child!” The cloak fluttered wildly for a moment before settling down.

If the goal had been to intimidate, the captain had succeeded. Everyone behind Twilight took a large step back and trembled. The cloak fluttered again, and something red and lightning fast shot out and snatched the gag from Twilight’s mouth. She gasped, both in shock and relief, and took several gulps of air.

“What is your name?” the voice rasped.

Twilight stared into the black abyss of the hood. Her heart drummed in her chest, and her mouth was painfully dry. The figure in front of her was a tower, standing a foot taller than the rest of the crew, and absolutely dominating over Twilight. The faint heat Twilight felt started to rise, driving away the cool sea air around them.

The pieces lined up in Twilight’s mind. If she was on the Crimson Heart, there was only one person who could be under the cloak. She was kneeling before the one and only Sunset Shimmer.

Twilight had been picked up and dropped into her fantasy books. This couldn’t be happening, but she had already proven to herself that she wasn’t dreaming.

She came out of her trance, remembering she had been asked a question. “M-my name is T-Twilight Sparkle. Twilight Velvet is my mother.” Behind her, she could hear the crew murmuring.

Indigo cleared her throat, and all instantly fell silent.

“Where is she?” Sunset hissed.

Twilight took a deep breath. “She’s dead.” Her heart sank as the words left her mouth. Of course her mother wasn’t secretly alive. It was a miracle Twilight survived the storm.

All that could be heard was the creaking of the ship against the gentle waves. Then came the shuffle of feet backing away. Twilight guessed she had given the wrong answer.

Only Indigo remained next to Twilight, but a layer of perspiration coated her face, and she had one hand near the sword at her side. “I-I know you’re disappointed, C-Captain, and I assure you, I will make sure my informant does not get away with this. B-but, I think—”

“Be silent, Indigo,” Sunset said, barely raising her voice.

“Aye, Ma’am.” Indigo quickly stepped back into line.

Sunset’s cloak paced the floor in short strides. Heavy boots could be heard from underneath. Her hood twisted and looked down at Twilight again, and a snort of fury issued from within. A growl followed, and Twilight noticed the temperature around her spiked again. Everyone behind her took another step back.

“Please,” Twilight said, wanting to do anything to break the tension, “what did you want my mother for? How did you know her?”

Sunset’s growl subsided, and the heat faded back to the dull warmth Twilight had originally felt. The silence lingered for a moment before Sunset said, “How good are you at translations and map reading?”

Twilight raised her bound hands to adjust her glasses. “Um, well, I’ve studied a lot of ancient culture and understand some basic rune writing. I’ve also taught myself the alphabet from the last age, even if no one speaks it, but there’s a lot of interesting books I was hoping to read someday written in old script. And my mother taught me everything about cartography. It’s actually my life’s dream to be a cartographer like she was, so I—”

“Silence!” Sunset shouted.

Twilight closed her mouth and shrunk down. She hadn’t meant to ramble on, it had all just spilt out; whether from nerves or from the chance to show off what she knew, she couldn’t say.

Sunset’s hood faced Indigo. “Weigh anchor and get us to open water before the navy shows up.”

Indigo nodded. “Aye, Captain.” She looked at the crew and jerked her head. “Well, you heard her, bilge rats! Let’s shove off!”

Everyone began to hustle and bustle, scurrying around the deck, heading below or up the masts, and preparing the rigging. Twilight twisted her head this way and that trying to follow everyone. Something red flashed in front of her eyes, and the ropes binding her hands and feet split apart.

“On your feet, Miss Sparkle,” Sunset said.

Twilight stood up, stumbling at the rocking of the ship, but quickly gaining her bearings. The ship began to turn, and she could see Pony Bay come into view on her right. She looked back to Sunset, cold realization sinking in again. “What are you going to do with me?”

Sunset turned toward the door. “That depends on what you can do for me. Come.”

Common sense told Twilight it would be unwise if Sunset had to repeat herself. Twilight hurried after her, keeping close to the hem of her cloak. The hall was cast in a dim light from the few lanterns that lined it. They walked around a set of stairs leading to the lower deck and entered through another door with an eight rayed sun split between red and gold painted on the door.

The captain’s quarters lay on the other side, well-lit and well-furnished. A round table sat in the middle atop a large purple carpet with intricate designs. To the left was a bed with perfectly folded sheets, and to the right was a writing desk with a stuffed bookcase accompanying it.

Twilight spun around to get a look at the whole room. She noticed the door frame was molded with pictures of little red chickens that were on fire. Leaning in closer, Twilight saw they were actually supposed to be phoenixes. Next to the door was a short wardrobe with jewelry and old photos on top.

“Sit down.”

Twilight jumped at Sunset’s sudden command. On the other side of the table, Sunset was seated in a tall armchair with armrests curved like thick talons. Her hood was still up, and gave Twilight the impression she was about to have an interview with the Grim Reaper.

When Twilight took her seat in the smaller chair across the table, Sunset produced a tattered parchment from within her cloak and tossed it onto the polished wood. “Start reading. The more you translate, the longer you’ll live.”

Twilight sucked in a warm breath to counter the chill that ran down her spine. Her shaky fingers reached for the paper, tending to it as gently as possible. She unraveled it and found a washed out map decorated with old writing and smudges of ink.

This is old. She inhaled the musty scent of preserved parchment from bygone eras. This is really old. Her mind slipped into cartographer mode, dismissing the reality that she was a prisoner to pirates. She started with the pictures, tracing a finger around the islands and sea currents. Drawing on her eidetic memory, Twilight went through the numerous sea charts she had studied, trying to find one similar to the map in front of her.

Her finger moved down to a smaller island, and circling the perimeter, Twilight recognized it as Pony Bay. The shape was a little different, but she recognized the coast and the Unicorn Horn. So this is the Equestrian Sea. Her eyes moved up to the two large land masses that divided the map almost in two. Which means this is the Fantasy Strait, she reasoned, looking at the narrow sea path that went between the lands. And this is the Everfree Sea.

She turned her attention to the writing, faded and smudged after who knew how many years. It certainly wasn’t modern script, Twilight knew that for sure. She turned the map to the side. Actually, she wasn’t sure what language it was.

“Well, can you read it or not?”

Twilight startled and stared at Sunset. Sweat gathered on her brow, and she fiddled with her glasses. “P-please, just give me a moment.”

Okay, right. Not doing this for fun. Life is at stake. Goosebumps rose on Twilight’s skin, and she bit back a hysterical giggle. I’m on a pirate ship being forced to translate a map and I might possibly die. At least I’m not bored. She took a shuddering breath, fighting the tears stinging her eyes. Next time, I should just wish for a pony.

She examined the script again, digging through her wealth of knowledge. Some of it looked like rune writing, and Twilight recognized the symbol for treasure: a diamond within a diamond. The rest of the script almost looked familiar, but Twilight couldn’t recall where she had seen them or what they meant.

Her eyes glanced to Sunset, though it was impossible to gauge her mood. Twilight bit her lip and desperately tried to remember anything about the markings.

“W-well, that means treasure,” Twilight said, pointing to the double diamond. “And it appears five times on the map, so there’s treasure in the Equestrian and Everfree Seas.”

“I know that already,” Sunset said, impatience creeping into her voice. “How do I get the treasure? What are the instructions?” She leaned forward. “Start giving me some answers, or you’ll be sleeping with the sharks.”

“R-right, yes, o-of course!” Beads of sweat rolled down Twilight’s nose. She wiped them off before they could drip onto the map. The last thing she wanted to do before she died was damage an ancient artifact.

Twilight closed her eyes and concentrated. I’m not going to die here. Shining’s going to get my message and rescue me. I just have to survive until then. Come on, I’ve seen these before! Where have I seen them before? She opened her eyes and stared at the words again, focusing on each character one at a time.

Hmm, this one almost looks like the ‘ah’ sound, only it’s… She blinked and looked through the characters again, her mouth dropping open in delight. “It’s backwards!” she cried.

“What?”

Twilight jumped up from her chair. “It’s backwards! It’s Sea Script written backwards, that’s why it was so weird!”

Sunset stood as well. “So you can read it?”

Twilight poured over the map. “Some of it, yes. But Sea Script is really, really old and went through a lot of changes while it was being used. I haven’t memorized all of the characters and patterns yet. It’d be easier if I had a reference guide.”

“And where could you get a reference guide?”

“The library at Hollow Shoals probably has one,” Twilight said offhandedly, still reading the parts of the map she could decipher.

“Then I suppose that’s where we’re heading next. Congratulations, Miss Sparkle, you’re our new cartographer and translator.”

Twilight looked up from the map, eyes wide. “But… I—”

“Can’t finish reading the map without the book.” A red hand appeared from Sunset’s cloak and dragged the map off the table and into the folds. “The deal is you translate the entire map. Then, we’ll drop you off at the closest island. Is that understood, Miss Sparkle?”

Twilight bit down on her lip. It wasn’t like she had a choice; she had nothing to barter with. Sunset held all of the cards. It was either agree with her and live, or say no and be tossed overboard.

But, just because she had no bargaining power didn’t mean she couldn’t ask questions.

“What’s the treasure?” Twilight asked, recalling the five treasure marks.

“None of your business,” Sunset said evenly.

Twilight sat up straight, feeling a sudden bravery. “I’m going to find out if I read the map. Wouldn’t it be easier to tell me?”

Sunset fell silent. Her cloak moved up and down with her light breathing. “Have you heard of Neptune’s Blessing?” she said softly.

“Yes.” Twilight nodded. “It’s an old legend. ‘He who is granted Neptune’s Blessing shall have their heart’s desire granted and be crowned King of the Seas.’ It began about five-hundred years ago when people began to stop worshipping the sea gods. The believers thought it was Neptune’s last magic relic he granted humanity before he perished, or in some readings, returned to the land of the gods. Historians think it’s some kind of jewel used in worship that was lost—”

“I didn’t ask for exposition,” Sunset said. The inclination of her voice never changed, but it was commanding all the same.

Twilight took a seat again and hunched her shoulders. “Sorry,” she said, her cheeks burning.

Sunset turned and faced the window looking out to the complete darkness of the sea and sky. “This map will lead me to Neptune’s Blessing. If the legends are true, then it will grant the owner a wish.”

“You want to wish to become human again?” Twilight blurted out. She clapped her hands over her mouth.

Sunset looked over her shoulder. “How do you know what I am underneath this robe?” She didn’t sound angry, more tired, and genuinely curious.

Twilight swallowed the nervous lump in her throat. “I know all about the legend of the Crimson Heart and you, Sunset Shimmer. Though I guess they really aren’t legends, are they?”

Something that almost sounded like a small laugh came from Sunset. “You’re a learned girl, Miss Sparkle. Yes, all of the legends about my ship and I are true. My greed and violence turned me into a monster.” She sighed deeply. “And my crew paid the price.”

“I’m sorry.”

Sunset fully turned back to Twilight. “Showing sympathy for your captor?”

Twilight looked down at her hands. “Well… it’s just, I know what it’s like to lose people you care about. Good or bad, I’m still sorry for your loss.”

“Hmph.” Sunset swept a sleeve through the air. “Don’t expect any sympathy aboard my ship, Sparkle. The world is a harsh place; better you learn that now.” She waved her sleeve again. “But we’re far off course. I offered you a deal, Miss Sparkle: either work for me, or I gut you like a fish. What say you?”

Twilight fiddled with her fingers and sighed. “I really don’t have a choice, do I?”

“There’s always a choice. But I expect you’ll pick the right one.”

“Fine. I’ll translate the map.” Twilight paused, then asked, “That’s why you were looking for my mother, right?”

“You ask a lot of questions.”

“I like to know things.”

Sunset snorted. “Yes. That’s why we were looking for Twilight Velvet. One of Indigo’s informants told her Velvet was one of the best cartographers on the sea. What he failed to mention was that she was dead.” She crossed her arms. “I suppose it’s a stroke of good fortune that her daughter takes after her.”

Twilight blushed again. Being likened to her mother was always a compliment, even when coming from a pirate.

“Now, our deal has been made. Go find Indigo. She’ll show you to a cabin and afterwards, send her to me. And don’t worry, none of the crew is to touch you… for now.”

Another chill ran down Twilight’s spine. When Sunset said nothing else, she got up from her chair and turned for the door. She put a hand on the knob, then lingered as a thought came over her.

“Umm…” She looked back to Sunset. “Do you always wear that cloak?”

Sunset was silent for a moment. “You ask a lot of questions,” she said again.

This time, Twilight wasn’t sure how to respond.

Sunset walked around the table, drifting closer to Twilight. Even while standing, Sunset loomed over Twilight, her mere presence compelling Twilight to gain some distance. She gazed into the empty void of Sunset’s hood, wondering if her curiosity had gone too far.

“Do you want to see the monster under the cloak?” Sunset whispered. “Do you want to see if the entire fairytale about the demon captain is true? Is your curiosity that strong, Twilight Sparkle?”

Was she ready to see a monster? Against her better judgement, Twilight nodded.

“Very well.” Two red hands sporting only four claws each reached out from their sleeves and lifted the hood off. Her entire face was as red as her claws, like she had been perfectly sunburnt all over. Sharp fangs protruded from her mouth, and she had long, pointed ears that looked like they had a bite taken out of them. Her hair plumed upwards, red and gold, and billowing like actual fire. Upon her head sat a gold crown with a black star as the centerpiece.

Twilight stared into a set of teal eyes that held a deep store of exhaustion, despite whatever front Sunset was trying to put up. Realizing that she was staring, Twilight finally blinked and looked away.

Sunset blinked as well and cocked her head. “You didn’t scream,” she said curiously, “you didn’t even flinch.”

“Was I supposed to?”

“Well, that’s what I expect from everyone when they see me.” Sunset shook her head. She raised a hand and pressed it against her wild hair, and used her other hand to bring the hood back over it. It cast a shadow over her face, but Twilight could still see her eyes. “You’re an… interesting child, Miss Sparkle. Now get out of my sight.”

Deciding she had pushed her luck enough for one night, Twilight complied and left. The door slammed shut behind her. She made her way back outside, where several crew members were either adjusting the sails or cleaning the deck.

A rough hand grabbed her by the shoulder and swung her to the side, where she found herself staring at Indigo. “What are you doing wandering around?” she demanded.

“Umm, the captain told me to come find you. She said you’d show me a cabin? And she wanted to see you afterwards.”

Indigo grunted, but steered her back inside. This time, they went down the stairs and into a wide hallway lined with several doors. In the middle of the hall, a ladder was positioned, leading up to the main deck, or lower into the ship.

“All right, listen up,” Indigo said, stopping in front of the first door on the left. “Sunset may be the captain, but I’m in charge of things around here, got it? You do what I say, when I say it, and how I tell you to do it.”

Twilight flinched at the harsh tone of her voice but nodded.

The corners of Indigo’s mouth twitched. “Good. This is Lemon and Sugarcoat’s room. You’ll stay here. And I mean stay in here unless we need you for something. Someone will give you a meal eventually.” She leaned into Twilight’s face, eyes narrowed and jaw set. “And if you even think about trying to sabotage us, I’ll make you wish you were never born. I want that wish just as much as the captain does, savvy?”

Twilight nodded again. As soon as she was finished, Indigo opened the door and shoved her inside.

“Good.” She gave a feral smile. “Welcome to the Crimson Heart.

She slammed the door, leaving Twilight alone in the room.