• Published 1st Jul 2015
  • 334 Views, 8 Comments

Crimson Dance - Nightmares Madness



Three worlds have nearly been destroyed during what is called the 'convergence'. This is because the three worlds of different dimensions ended up combining together. Now Twilight is seeking her first steps of a long journey.

  • ...
3
 8
 334

A chosen partner

It did not take long for the sky to grow darker as the clouds overhead grew heavier with rain. The wind picked up, blowing almost right into the face of the travelers, bringing with it a cold chill.

For a good hour or so the two could feel occasional droplets, as if the weather itself were teasing as to when it would unleash its fury upon them. With knowing the area, as well as she did, Twilight unpacked a wool cloak and wrapped it around her shoulders, trying her best to keep it closed. This lead to the base of the fabric to whip out behind her as the wind blew, showing her robed body, and her arms trying to hold it closed.

Shivering she turned to Clevik to find him with what appeared to be an even thicker, pure black hooded cloak remaining closed around his body. The ripples in the fabric the only give it seemed to reveal with the wind blowing.

“How...?” Was all Twilight was able to say.

Clevik turned, and with a grin, shook his head, “I have been out and about. If you want to fight the weather, you have to know how to be prepared.”

“But...” Twilight began, coming to a full stop, the wind blowing strands of her mane around her face, and out over her shoulder. She moved a hand to try and move the strands out of her face, and block the wind as she curiously looked over the garment.

Clevik looked at Twilight before shifting his head, “We should keep going, it’s not best to waste time when there is a storm. I can’t tell how bad it will be.”

Just as Twilight opened her mouth, there was a long series of flashes, before the loudest crash and rumbling echoed almost overhead, the sheer power of the thunder seeming to shake the ground they stood on, and left Twilight shaking as she nodded and quickly fell into step with Clevik. The two did their best to pick up their pace, fighting the now more consistent winds that blew and whipped around them.

As they continued the sky overhead darkened even more as clouds weighed with the approaching storm, the only reprieve was the flashes of lightning seemed off in the distance now, which allowed the thunder to boom a short ways into the distance. The sky was so filled with foreboding clouds the day almost seemed equal to the night.

“Twilight, here, there is an animal trail, we should take cover till the storm passes.” Clevik called out, having to raise his voice over the wind. Twilight nodded and followed Clevik off the road an through the brush.

It seemed the very moment they did this, a strange rushing sound seemed to charge full speed at them before a torrent of heavy rain suddenly fell over them. In seconds, Twilight was soaked through, shivering in the cold of the rain. She silently cursed her failure to fully prepare for being out here with such a thin robe from the school and an less than ideal cloak that only covered her shoulders and was now clinging to her body as it weighed down fully soaked with the rain water.

They had not gone more than a few feet when Twilight looked like a drowned animal from the downpour. She looked up after nearly tripping to find a wall of gray around her, the floor of the forest beside the road were now nothing more than dark shadows near the ground. She could not see Clevik or anything more than a couple of feet in front of her.

“Clevik?” She called out in a near panic, trying to move as straight forward as she could, her eyes looking around trying to make out his shape. She had to move to one side or the other as she came up to trees she barely saw in front of her.

“Clevik?” She called again, louder trying to be heard over the sounds of the storm.

“Twilight!” Came a deep voice a short distance away and to the left. She called out again, trying to head in the direction of the voice, To her relief, Clevik seemed to appear almost right in front of her. “Here, I found shelter,” he said quickly, gently grabbing her wrist and leading her through the rain. He did not falter and easily moved over brush and around trees, with Twilight in tow.

Before long, a minute or so to her brief calculation, Clevik pulled Twilight into a large rounded shadow. A brief flare of fear crossed her mind, as it imagined him leading her into the gaping maw of some titanic creature waiting for its dinner to stumble through the forest dumbly and fall into it mouth.

Twilight was plunged into seeming complete darkness, even with the small amount of light that seemed to come from outside even with the storm. Twilight felt Clevik release her arm and she could hear the faint echoing of his footsteps as he moved forward. After a second of hesitation, her hands out in front of her to be her eyes, Twilight moved forward, slowly, sluggishly filled with uncertainty as she was fully submerged in unfamiliar territory.

Suddenly, light flared up around a hunched over form forcing Twilight to squint her eyes and turn her head until she could adjust to the change. Clevik moved, taking a small lantern over to a stone wall and waved it over a small jutting of stone where she could just make out a faint sound as if water were dripping into a small puddle.

She watched, shivering uncontrollably as Clevik moved a hand and dipped it into the water and raised his fingers and sniffed. A satisfied grunt and he turned and set the lantern down on the ground and she could hear a strange quick slurping noise.

“Here, have a little water, I didn’t see you carrying a waterskin, so this will be good for you. There are no poisons, or mildew or anything here.” He explained before turning and offering her his hand. She took it and he lightly pulled her over to him and brought his hands up in front of her chest. Flinching, Twilight took a quick step back, uncertain of what he was going to do for a second. “I’m sorry, I should have asked, you need to remove that cloak, its too thin and completely soaked. If you keep wearing it, you will get more than a chill. I don’t think you want to catch your death only a day away from town, do you?” He asked.

Twilight couldn’t think to argue, she was so cold, her fingers were beginning to go numb, she shivered again, and nodded before steeping forward and untying the cloak. As she did, she noticed in the light how Clevik seemed almost completely dry, only his face, some hair, and his legs from his knees down to his boots were wet. The cloak he wore still had a few droplets of water, but other than than seemed fairly dry.

“H-how are y-you s-so d-d-dry?” She stuttered, shaking violently without the cloak, her teeth chattering.

Clevik placed her cloak down onto the ground before removing his own and wrapped it around here. Twilight took in a sharp breath, the cloak was extremely heavy, heavier than it looked, but not just from how thick the material was, there was something else that seemed to pull at the base of the cloak. Yet, her body and mind seemed to shove this train of thought away as her shivering lessened just the slightest bit, and she let out a small moan as she snuggled into the cloak. There, with her muzzle pressed so close to the cloak, she could smell his human scent, it was earthy, and held a hint of sweat, as well as something else. Her mind suddenly latched onto this as she sniffed again, trying to identify this specific smell, before she raised her hand and felt the fabric.

It was soft, but not high grade material soft, it still was rougher than than, the thickness of it told her it was several layers thick, and had some sort of strange faint slick feeling over it. Her mind then registered how dry and warm it was on the inside of the cloak.

“It’s just a specially treated cloak I had tailor made. It has a substance on it that helps resist water. It doesn’t keep you completely dry, as the water slowly removes the substance the longer its in water. So, rain is not an issue, even rain like this, you can stay dry for a while. Though once that is gone, the water will soak into the different layers. Though, it is not only just to keep you warm in wind and rain. The thickness if for when you find yourself in colder climates.” Twilight stared up at Clevik as he finished explaining the many uses of this one material.

“That’s, brilliant.” She whispered in awe.

Clevik nodded, “I did not lie when I said I had traveled and was experienced.” He said with a soft smile. Twilight nodded, before he moved out of her way allowing her to take a drink of the water that was pooling in the little outcrop of stone. It was strangely molded as if it were meant to hold water. Once she had satisfied as much of her thirst as she could with the few handfuls of water available, Twilight turned, seeing Clevik already investigating the small cave. Though, to call it a cave was foolish to her mind, as there were no stalagmites, or stalactites, as well the space they were in seemed far too small.

“Clevik,” Twilight began, her voice indicating her reasoning.

“I know, this isn’t a natural space. The walls are too smooth, someone has been hiding out here and has made this space to live in. Though I wonder why they don’t have a bed made up or any gear or food laying around.” A few seconds of thought and he shook his head before speaking again, “I can only guess this must be a temporary abode, and whatever supplies they have they take with them when they leave. Maybe a hunter, or something.” He finished his thoughts and turned to settle down.

Twilights eyes roved over the walls in what light was available from Cleviks lantern, before her eyes moved down a wall to her right where she spotted a large rectangular bag.

“I think you missed this,” She said, drawing his attention to it. Her ears fell back a little as she frowned from him laughing slightly.

“No, that is my traveling pack.” He said. When Twilight gave him a confused look he shook his head, “Right, not an experienced with being out and about. The Pack is large, and takes up the whole space on my back, but it is also flat. I don’t try top carry anything too bulky because then anyone looking at me will know I have valuables under my cloak. It also covers my entire back, so if someone tries to shoot me or stab me in the back, my pack will protect me, for the most part.”

“The most part?” Twilight asked, as she looked back at the pack.

“Well yeah, if the bag tears, then I lose whatever I’m carrying, and it completely makes my backside vulnerable. Not to mention, if someone really wants to stop me, all they have to do is wing me, or take out my knees.” He explained further.

Twilight tilted her head for a second, the phrase he mentioned was unfamiliar to her, but then shrugged and filed it away as something to ask for later. She was still a little cold since her clothes were still wet and she did not have anything spare to change into. Not even another set of robes, in fact the only thing she thought to bring was a large bag riding on her hip with some herbs for small scrapes and cuts, and some pressed flowers and bread.

She settled down, pressing her back against the stone, shifting until she could get comfortable and closed her eyes to relax.

Clevik turned to look at Twilight as she closed her eyes to rest, he could see her occasionally shiver as her body worked to keep her warm. He had known she did not have much on her when he checked her that morning for supplies. He was severely disappointed to find how woefully ill prepared she was for the world outside that school of witches. He stopped and shook his head, ‘Thinking too human again, boy.’

With a deep breath he turned and looked to the dark gray curtain of the storm still raging outside their temporary shelter. He did not know who or what had made this cave, and that bothered him. Who, or what ever did was more experienced than he was, not only at having well placed and fairly hidden temporary domiciles, they also left no traces of the original owner, or craftsman. He grinned at himself, here he was, one capable of using stealth and tricks to slip in and out of places none would have ever thought of, and he was finding there were still others who could do things far better than he could.

Clevik had lived a long life, yet his age physical appearance did not betray him beyond an early twenty something male human.

He turned his mind away from his thoughts as he listened to the storm, the faint rumbles occasionally striking right behind each other, the sound of the rain as it fell from the sky drowned everything else out. His mind attempted to take this break to bring him back to something he did not care for. Internally he raged against this part of him, forcing it to the back of his mind and into the shadows.

He returned to once again focus on the weather outside and consider what needs to happen next. He had to try and work what dangers they could face on their way to Ponyville. Unknown to him, the brief momentary fight and lack of concentration allowed his eyes to alter in the slightest bit as his pupils changed to slits with a tinge of green, before returning to normal

---(0,_,0)---

Two Days Prior

The vaulted ceilings were barely lit of the room from the various candles burning, even with the added light of the stars and the moon through the multitude of windows that followed along the circular shape on the far side. The view from the windows was both breathtaking and dizzying as the room hung, suspended on the side of a cliff, overlooking a small hamlet at the base, and a massive forest where a couple of large rivers snaked through the dense trees.

The air filled with the notes of music being played from a band placed upon a stage overlooking the large and nearly emptied floor. There were a few human men, a woman, and one particular figure that was obviously different than the others. The only one of her kind to ever be permitted to play with such a high standard group. Her eyes closed, as her fingers moved over the strings, her and her other hand held the bow as it slid across the lower strings of the large and seemingly heavy looking cello. It’s polished wooden surface seemed to glow, even in the various candlelights, the sounds lifting up form it were indeed as perfect as the wielder of it could get. Her form was different than human as her whole body was covered in a dark gray fur, the top of her head sported a well tidied and groomed black mane, the bangs slightly curled at the front of her forehead, her tailed, the same color and placed carefully to the side of her body. Beside her tail, on what she called her flank, was a symbol of her skills and talent, as if to say, ‘My talent cannot be questioned despite my difference. To those who dislike it, to Tartarus with you’.

The symbol itself was used in music to the very best. A treble clef used first in many lines to show the pitch of the sound of the music as it changed and flowed from the instruments, if done correctly. As well, if done correctly, music could be lifted from the instruments in the most heavenly ways, seemingly impossible by the ears of others, yet to be held dear as it moved heart and spirit.

For this particular female she had lived a life of hard fought battles, many won, and many lost as she brought forth her ability. Her talents were far from being dismissed, no it was her species, as an Equine, it had been a difficult road for her. Until she came here and was accepted, along with so many others that too were as different as she.

The gray and black Equine working the Cello scrunched her face, her ears turning in the direction of the violinist who had scratched a note just as they were coming up to the crescendo of the piece they were playing. She turned her attention away from the mistake and intensified her own efforts as the music began to build, her heart beat building with it. Her mind was filled with various lines and colors as she focused on her part of the music, despite its difficulty, she always made sure to give her all, and this was her way of doing it. She could manipulate the strings so well, she could make an elven maiden cry at the haunting beauty. Of which, she did not care to boast, but had in fact, succeeded in doing just that once.

As the music built in its speed and intensity reaching the final crescendo, the only two occupants currently moved faster and faster, spinning a little more and more. The man held the woman, allowing her form to follow him in every way, his own strong and tall, dressed in black, a red tie tucked away into the black suit, the edges of his coat arms reflected slightly like silver. His hands slender and long, nails perfectly cut and trimmed, his face smooth, hair kept short had long since turned white despite his youthful features.

As for his partner, she wore a long silk white dress, her skin pale, her fingers thin and frail looking, wore no jewelry. She moved oddly for a human woman, her limbs seemingly stiff and jerky like a puppet on strings, while her head tilted in various ways, far too relaxed for someone living, her face obscured by a plain smiling face with freshly painted red lipstick, and blue marks above where the eyelids would be. The man continued to lead, as if unaware, or uncaring of the strange movements and responses of his dance partner.

They stepped forwards, backwards, to the left, to the right, spun as their feet shuffled or crisply stepped in the various ways required for this dance. Until the crescendo began to fall and slow, of which the man looked to the entrance of the ballroom and spotted the man standing there, silently, patiently waiting.

With a sigh, then man stopped, releasing the strings of magic holding the woman up in response for the dance, allowing her body to sag in his arms, before he dropped her to the floor with a stranger thumping sound.

“I know, Altier, ‘You shouldn’t play with your food’, but I was already done and wanted a dance partner. You know how I like to exercise after I’ve eaten.” He commented turning from the woman and stepping over to the window looking out to the moon. His eyes seemed to lovingly follow the shape of the silhouette of the Mare in the moon.

The man was not surprised when Altier seemed to appear standing right beside him, his silence filling the air.

“Did you take care of the disturbance?” The man asked.

“Of course sir. If I could not take out the trash, then I would not be one hell of a butler.” He responded, his voice coming clear but low, as if he never had to raise it. His voice was smooth and seemingly calm and genuine.

The man rolled his eyes at his servants favorite joke, before turning and looking down at the woman. He raised one perfectly presentable hand up in front of his face, before lowering himself down and gently placing it on the woman’s body at the shoulder. There was a slight flash before the body of the woman began to crack, as small pieces of her body began to lift away disintegrating into light and nothingness.

“Sir, it is best to allow the butler to clean up after you.” Altier chastised, yet for all those present, his voice and inflection never altered or changed in the slightest as he stood at the window, body turned as he watched his master.

“Yes, but, I feel I need to do this from time to time as a reminder,” he explained.

“IS there anything else I can do for you, sir?” Altier asked, only for his master to shake his head.

“No, I believe this will be all. I feel I need to rest, perhaps tomorrow, I will head out for a hunt.” He said, as if lost in thought.

“Then I shall dismiss the band, and assist you in preparing for bed.” Altier responded. He did not like how his master had been acting lately, he had been restless, there were still signs of his madness from all those centuries ago, when he first found him, but he had grown so much since then. Gained so much power, all for her. Altier glanced out the window at the moon once again, before turning and signaling the band to leave.

“One more thing, sir. She will be returning in a fortnight.” Altier was satisfied to see his masters reaction, his sudden stop and shift in demeanor. After a moment, his master raised a hand, his body shifting ever so slightly once again. With a nod, Altier left with his master.

Author's Note:

Chapter 2

I feel pretty good about this one.
Now, an update, I have some editors and a proofreader, so i will be going through to make a few edits along the way where I know I absolutely need them once I confer with the editors and what they have to say about the story.