• Published 25th Jun 2015
  • 3,216 Views, 468 Comments

Cross The Amazon - Chatoyance



No Potion. No rescue. South America is 4353 kilometers wide. Run, Dr. Kotani. Run for your life.

  • ...
 468
 3,216

7. The Alphabet A - Z

══════════════════════
T H E C O N V E R S I O N B U R E A U :
══════════════════════

CROSS THE AMAZON

By Chatoyance

Chapter Seven: The Alphabet A - Z

The magnificent dinner was over. Dropspindle smiled as she licked the last of Calloway's effort at dessert, a sort of pudding like thing that tasted sweet but which she did not feel safe asking about the ingredients of. This was all his way of acknowledging the risk she had placed herself in to rescue him. He understood, now, that much was clear, and he was without question grateful.

"Calloway... you have created a moment of joy for me in this... place... and... well, um... wow!"

Kotani grinned. "That... I'm glad. I was worried that... I'm just glad it worked."

Dropspindle turned and used her horn to reach for her scavenging bag in the corner. She lifted it to her and reached inside, through the fabric. She lifted out the bottle of whiskey and placed it on the table. "I found some goodies today, out buggering human houses..."

Calloway stifled, with difficulty, a laugh. "Burgling." His eyes shone. "From 'Burglar'. The other word... it means something... else."

"Ah! Burgling, then. Oh - I hope my language enchantment isn't breaking down. Goodness, that would be a problem. Think good thoughts... Here!" The carbon-fiber case plunked itself down on the table in front of Calloway. "There is still some of your wonderful hay dish left, you made quite a lot of it. Wonderful, as you know." She smiled. She had been complimenting his efforts throughout the meal. Calloway had worked so very hard.

"I bring this fact up because I have found a way for you to properly enjoy it yourself!" Dropspindle raised the case with her hornfield and made it dance in front of Calloway's face. "Look! It's an emergency ponification kit! I found it in the house of a former Blackmesh officer, inside his webby suit! We have days here left to us - you could down this and in twenty minutes you would be safe from the Barrier! You could digest the wonderful meal that you made for me! See? E.P.K. - it has one standard dose, read the front!" Dropspindle beamed. She had saved Kotani. She had saved his very life.

Calloway waited until the package landed on the table, and the hornfield dissipated before picking it up. "EPK. Contains one standard dose. For emergency use as directed. Property of Blackmesh Security." He held the smallish, dark, rounded box and stared at it. "Yup. This is the stuff. Ponification transformation serum. Little nanobuggers in pure magic. I've heard it tastes like grape. Hoooh... boy." He turned the case over. "Warning: transformation and thaumatic hazard. Do not open without intention. Read included instructions."

Dropspindle placed her hooves on the table. "There's plenty of room right on the floor here, or we could go to one of the beds, but not the usual one because... I don't know. Maybe it's messy or something. I've never actually seen a human transformed, but I'll be there! I be right there with you, I promise, because..."

"Me as an Equestrian. Have to pick a new name, I suppose."

"Well, you could, it is my understanding most... 'Newfoals'... do. Picking a proper Equestrian name is a big first step towards fitting in and..."

"And you think, you really think, I should be a pony? You think I'll make a good pony? Do you? Do you really?"

Dropspindle stared, her mouth frozen in mid speech. Kotani had tears in his eyes. "Calloway?"

One of those tears ran down his cheek. "I knew this day would come. I knew it. No way to avoid it, end of the line, hell - end of the world." Calloway's eyes were red now, and puffy. "Time to go pony, huh? Hoooo... boy! Right here. Right here in my goddamned hand."

"Do you object to becoming Equestrian?" Dropspindle felt a touch of anger rising within her. And fear. "Are you... are you one of those... eight shell heffers? Is that the term? Heffers?"

Calloway laughed through his tears. "No. Oh... no. Not one of those. Not HLF. I don't think going pony is wrong. If anything, I think it's a blessing, to the world. To humanity. Ponies are nicer. Better. So much nicer. Jesus, just look at what you did yourself - just to save my sad little ass! My god..."

"Well, if you think that way..." Now Dropspindle was just confused. Calloway should be happy then. "...I don't understand. Open that thing and let's get you fixed up right now!"

"DO YOU THINK... do you think... I should be a... pony?"

Dropspindle had almost tumbled from her pillow at the loud outburst. "O-of course! I... you really aren't making much sense... I don't know what... " Dropspindle used her hornfield to help her scoot the low table closer to Calloway, just around the corner of the table. It took a bit of grunting, jerking her body in an ungainly way, and left marks on the floor, but she made it. "Calloway... what is it? Something must be bothering you - you've had some kind of issue with this from the first time the possibility was mentioned and... what is it? Are you worried it won't work, are you afraid of..."

"YES I'M AFRAID!" Calloway had his head down over the table, buried in the crook of his arms. "I'm so afraid. I'm afraid it won't really work! Why do I deserve to be a pony? Why do I get a pass? Why am I worth such a thing?" Calloway's head was up now, his eyes very red. "Tell me, Dropspindle - why do you think I should get to be one of you? I'm an ass. I've always been an ass. Not a pony. You should have burrofication potion for asses like me! There are people out there... people who are a lot kinder and a lot better, and what happens to them? What..."

"Calloway..."

"How am I going to fit in? Tell me that. The HLF, they say that ponfication erases you, that it changes you, but that's just bullshit - I've seen a lot of people come back as ponies and... you'd be surprised at how many of them were still jerkwads after they got hooves! The HLF is full of shit - ponification doesn't erase a goddamned thing, and that's the problem! You know what I was doing in that mine? I was in there because I was grieving for the loss of my homeland, and you know what I did to grieve? I masturbated to porn, played videogames and drank myself blind, that is how I honored the Great Island of Nippon. Hello ancestors, I spooged on a map of Japan! I'm a prize! What a pony I'm gonna make!"

Dropspindle was without words for a time. "Everypony grieves in their own way..."

Calloway burst out with a howling laugh. "Oh, fuck! Jesus fuck. You are just so nice. God you are nice. You are all so god damned nice. How the hell are you going to deal with billions of ponified humans running all over you? God, your princess must be an idiot."

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" Dropspindle had needed to keep from clocking the fragile human with her forehoof. It was fortunate she remembered in time that they were built like glass. "Listen to me, Calloway Kotani - yes, I try to be nice. I think everypony does in their own way, as best as they can. But I assure you that even born-ponies get feeling sorry for themselves, and that is what I am hearing from you right now, and I have had enough of it!"

Dropspindle put a hoof on the human's shoulder. "Nopony is perfect. There are... asses... among native Equestrians too. Ponies are ponies. And yes, at first I wondered what kind of a human you were. You seemed a little... cranky, and I was put off a bit. But... over the time we have been together, you've tried so hard - just this dinner tonight, goodness! All along the trip you've tried to be nice in little ways... it's just that things have been difficult. Things have been..."

"You don't know me! You don't. You can't, we've only been around each other for less than a week. For all you know, I kill people for fun on the weekends. It isn't even Saturday yet!"

"Do you... kill people... on weekends?"

"NO! Of course not! Jesus Christ on a cracker!" Calloway shook his head. "But you don't know that! I could be a monster, or a... a... I don't know!"

Dropspindle tilted her head and tried to look the human in the eyes. "You're right. I don't know you. Much about you. I know a little. I know you try really hard, but that sometimes you prefer to run away. I know you make jokes to hide your pain. And now I know you think that the fact you feel fear and pain somehow means you aren't a good person. I don't think that's true."

"When my friends went pony, I abandoned them." Calloway stared at his hands on the tablecloth.

"Because you were afraid you would somehow offend them. That's it, isn't it?"

Calloway nodded.

"Your world... and humans... are a little... troubling. This is a harsh universe, and I have been told that you had to be tough and harsh to survive in it. But ponies are stronger than you think. Look at me - I came to your world, I lived by myself in Peru for months... and the only company I have had is humans. Am I broken? Am I ruined? Am I not a good pony anymore?"

"No! Of course not! Hell, you've put up with me, that says a lot right there."

Dropspindle sat back on her pillow and shifted to be more comfortable. "Then either ponies are too tough for humans in their midst to hurt them, or you are good enough person to be a pony. Or both." Dropspindle leaned in once more. "Besides, if I like you as a human, you'll only be better as a pony. So use that kit, okay?"

"Do... do you actually like me? As a person?" The look on Calloway's face was quizzical, a mixture of emotions and questions without answer.

"You're alright, I guess. You throw a decent dinner party." Dropspindle gave a partial grin. "You invite the best guests, in any case."

Calloway stared, surprised, even shocked. Then he laughed out loud. "I guess I did, didn't I?" He reached for the EPK kit. "Well... then, lets see what it takes to trade in my hands for hooves." He wiped his cheeks and eyes, and turned his attention to the EPK case.

"Can I ask a question?" Dropspindle's ears half lowered.

"Yes, of course."

"Why... why do you... you humans... go on so much about having hooves instead of those claws of yours? Hands, hands for hooves, 'oh no I have to give up my hands' - you really don't need them. I mean, they seem pretty fragile, they look like naked spiders, and you can't walk on them. Why is it such a big deal?"

Calloway flipped the case around until he figured out how to open it. Inside, he found a printed slip of replipaper and a carefully protected three ounce / 88 ml flask set in form-fitting high-impact foam. "It's pretty simple, really. Hands are our primary tool. We do everything you do with all of your abilities with our hands. And we need them, because we don't have magic, and we don't always cooperate well either. So we have to make things - tools, machines, weapons, and all of these things are complicated and hard to make." He unfolded the little replipaper slip and studied it for a moment.

He looked up. "I know - think of it this way. Hands are humans unicorn horns. And all humans have to be unicorns, because we all - all of us - have to be the ones who deal with all the fiddly stuff - the gears in clocks and metalwork and tiny, detailed little things. And we have to do this all the time, because we can't control Nature. We have to fight Nature, because otherwise it just kills us. Every human is a unicorn. We aren't super strong, and we can't fly or walk on clouds. We just do all the complicated crap, because we have to, because everything is out to hurt us, and our magic is making material things. With our hands. So... it is really scary for us, because it's hard to even imagine a life where that isn't still true."

Dropspindle nodded. "That... that really makes sense. Thank you! That has been bothering me since the first day I heard one of you go on and on about how terrible having hooves would be."

"I felt pretty clever there, honestly." Calloway pried the bottle from the foam and set it on the table. "It's such a basic thing, I bet most people don't even think about it. They just feel what they feel." He studied the slip again. "Huh. Changing species is a lot simpler than I ever imagined. Just get naked or make sure your clothes don't bind in any way, toss the contents back in one go, and twenty minutes later, you're done. I've had more trouble trying to get a bandage on a cut." Calloway lifted the bottle and jiggled it in his hand, feeling the small weight of it. Taking in the profound power of such a tiny thing. The power to transform one creature into an entirely other creature, in less than half an hour.

Calloway jiggled the bottle several times. Then he shook it. "Hold on..."

Dropspindle tilted her head. "What? What is it?"

Calloway carefully opened the small flask. "Something isn't..." He carefully held the cap in one hand, while slowly and carefully tilting the flask with the other.

"Wait! Isn't that dangerous? Be careful!" Dropspindle had heard only a few things about transformation serum, but among them was how strong the thaumatic flux it contained was to humans, and another was how any contact with the fluid would begin the conversion process... and how a full dose was required to avoid horrific outcomes.

The little bottle didn't pour. Nothing came out. Calloway tilted the flask more, then still more. A thick, gray, syrupy goo slowly oozed out and blobbed at the cap. The grayish slime sparkled slightly, and had streaks of translucent purple, but was mostly opaque. It was very, very thick.

"'Serum should be a clear, purple liquid filled with small, sparkling specks. If serum appears thick or colorless discard immediately. Warning! Do not attempt conversion if serum has spoiled.'" Calloway carefully replaced the cap, then set the bottle back into the foam case. "Shit." He lifted the flask and turned it over, pointing to a translucent section set into it. "See? There's even a little window to check it. I didn't even notice..." He closed the case and hung his head. "I didn't know the stuff could go bad. Of course it can. This is earth. Entropy. Things turn to shit here. Soup goes bad. Food goes stale. I guess, outside of Equestria... magic fades. Duh, huh?"

A single tear hit the tablecloth below his head, leaving a tiny little circle.

Calloway felt forelegs around his chest. Dropspindle pressed her head to his back. "We'll find another. We'll find more. Or we'll find a way. We will, Calloway. We will."

The man patted one of her forelegs, wrapped around him. "Yeah." He sniffed. "Or a boat."

"A boat? On the desert?"

"Across the desert. Eventually, there's another ocean. The Atlantic. Then the Afrizone."

"A boat then." The forelegs hugged Calloway tight.