• Published 18th May 2012
  • 13,563 Views, 801 Comments

From The Gates - Dirty Bit



6 old creatures, 1 new life for each of them. Will they manage?

  • ...
26
 801
 13,563

Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Tension Rising

At Canterlot, the three changeling sentries moved across the busy streets incognito. The earth pony guard made his way into the castle with minimal effort while the latter pair mingled with the locals.

The earth pony shifted his eyes as he made his way across the castle grounds, and then noticed other guards gathering around as well. He saw this as a chance to blend in without raising suspicion, but his chances were crippled when he tried to match the same stance of the other soldiers while they lined up in a phalanx formation and awaited their commanding officer. He was lucky to get it down properly the moment Wrath arrived, and he stared ahead with the same look of resolve like the other guards.

Wrath calmly but firmly trotted along the lines as he noted the appearance of his troops without paying them a glance. When he reached the end where the changeling sentry stood, he stopped for a moment and shifted his uncovered eye towards him. He then faced him with his stoic gaze while the sentry returned it wholesale and the two kept silent.

After a small moment of pause, Wrath trotted back to the other end where he entered "I'm glad you all have made it today! We shall resume your daily exercises prior to what you were issued the day before! You all have done well in the past and I expect the same results, if not more, the following hours you will spend here! Do not let me, neigh...Do not let Celestia down! Am I clear?"

The guards instinctively saluted in reply to the furious pony's question "Sir!" They all resounded dutifully. The changeling sentry was lucky to mimic the other guards' actions.

Wrath then turned to face the guards "You may begin your exercises in the same groups as before! We shall cover weaponized close combat near the end of the day!" The guards did as they were told and separated from one another in terms of race. When the earth ponies remained, they prepared themselves for their own exercises before they begin sparring one another.

The changeling sentry effortlessly joined and did not raise suspicion in the slightest. However, he was unaware that Wrath kept his gaze on him while he exercised.
_____

Inside the castle halls, Shining Armor limped with Cadence at his side as he made for the training grounds with a serious face. While he considered Wrath a respectable opponent with his experience, he was still skeptical about letting the furious pony lead his prized army. Shining Armor wanted to make sure that his fellow soldiers were being led in the right direction with their training. A random thought that crossed his mind was how the nickname he earned from Wrath last night seemed so offput despite the context. A mustang was considered a majestic horse, but he never thought he would be called such by anypony, let alone a complete stranger.

Cadence was both worried and exasperated at her husband's wish to see Wrath and the guards "Shining Armor, you shouldn't even be moving like this! What if your wounds reopen with your mobility?"

Shining Armor turned to Cadence with a small smile "Don't worry, dear. I'm aware about my condition, and I'll be sure to take it easy somehow..." He then looked ahead with his serious gaze once more "But I want to make sure Bradley isn't trying anything underhoofed while he's monitoring my troops!"

Cadence sighed and rolled her eyes "Couldn't we just do it from the window like yesterday? Celestia has given us time off, and while I, too, feel slightly tense around Wrath, he hasn't been causing any problems lately!" She trotted up to Shining Armor's side and shared a soft nuzzle "Couldn't we just spend more time with each other like we have on our honeymoon?" She cooed, hoping her husband would understand.

Shining Armor returned it briefly before he continued onward "Right after I know that old pegasus hasn't planned anything sneaky!"

Cadence stopped in her tracks and huffed at Shining Armor's dedication 'He cares more about Wrath and his army rather than his own health OR his time off...Maybe Wrath is up to something...' She caught up to Shining Armor while holding a stern gaze.

When the couple made it onto the training grounds, Shining Armor made a direct limp to Wrath, who stood around and supervised the soldiers and their practices. When the furious pony noticed their arrival, he smiled at Shining Armor and Cadence "Ah, hello, Mustang...and good afternoon to you, Princess Cadence."

Shining Armor's expression was unchanged "I told you the nickname was unnecessary, Bradley." He looked around "I see that the soldiers are working well under your command..."

Wrath nodded "Yes, I would not live with myself knowing I've disappointed you or the princess..." He noted the glare on Shining Armor's face and took a deep breath "Also, I assure you that I bear no ulterior motives whatsoever...I am a changed man..." He looked down with his eye closed "You have every right to doubt me with how these were once your soldiers and how I myself am completely alien to Equestria's customs, but even I hold a duty as a soldier much less from my former status as a military leader..."

Shining Armor raised an eyebrow at Wrath while he kept his stance and saw he held nothing other than his hidden rage. It intrigued the guard captain with how one pony could hold so much anger inside of him and yet maintain a mature atmosphere around himself. He then sighed in defeat "I suppose you have nothing to lose with how you claim you're not from around here..." He then kept a stern gaze "But know that I still expect you to keep everything in order!"

Wrath flashed a friendly smile "I shall do as promised..." He looked over at Cadence "My apologies if I have wasted much of your time, your highness. I shouldn't keep you here knowing that you have duties of your own."

Cadence tilted her head "Are you referring to Shining Armor?"

Wrath chuckled "Who else? I'm fully aware that you are still on vacation while he is in recovery. Knowing how he is making a fast one, it is only best that you spend more time with each other before you would have to return to your real duties..."

Cadence stammered for a moment before she sighed with a smile 'Perhaps I was wrong about him and his family...' She then nodded "Thank you for your time, Wrath. Keep up the good work."

Shining Armor smiled "Ditto...I still got my eye on you, Bradley."

Wrath smirked "Likewise, Mustang..."

The guard captain snorted at the nickname, but he shared a salute with the furious pony and he limped off with Cadence back into the halls. Wrath watched them leave 'Indeed a good couple...I should be thankful that they have given me the chance to start anew...' He then looked back to the earth pony guard division and his expression darkened slightly 'Now for other matters...'

He then trotted over to the earth pony guards and looked around diligently. When he spotted the one he was looking for, he pointed a hoof "You!" The one he called stopped what he was doing and directed his attention to Wrath "Front and center!" On reflex, the guard trotted over and stood in front of the furious pony with a proud salute. However, it wasn't enough to impress Wrath "I would like to know where I've last seen you..." He spoke in a calm and commanding tone.

The guard saluted and replied as if talking to a drill sergeant "I was out sick yesterday, sir! My sickness rendered me unable to attend yesterday's training!"

Wrath paused at the sound of his voice. While it sounded like a respective lower ranked soldier's tone, he detected a hint of anxiety in his voice "I see...In that case, might you tell me your name, soldier? We have not properly met, so it is only wise for me to know what to call you..."

The guard was silent and looked over at the doorway where Shining Armor and Cadence went inside to. He looked back at Wrath, who waited patiently while wearing an expression of condescending expectance "A-Azure Edge! My name is Azure Edge, sir!"

Wrath raised an eyebrow "Oh? Funny, I've not met anypony such as yourself before..." The guard smiled at what sounded like a compliment, but then Wrath continued with his calm but commanding tone "I say this on account of two reasons..." He pointed a hoof at the guards flank "For starters, you seem to lacking a cutie mark." The guard's heart skipped a beat at the realization "And the next..." He pointed towards a sky blue pegasus with a sword cutie mark practicing combat with his wings "That pony over there bears the same name..." The guard's eyes widened at his mistake and felt threatened when he noticed Wrath's expression darken "Now..." he uttered in a grave tone "Why don't you tell me who you really are? Unless you wish to be arrested for treason and impersonation..."

The guard began to sweat beads as the furious pony's stare bore through his being. He looked around to see no guards paid the two ponies no mind in their conversation and decided to take the initiative. The guard jumped back before he made a charge for Wrath.

Wrath anticipated the move and flared his left wing as the guard drew close. He then sidestepped out of the way and slashed at his left set of legs causing the guard to yell as blood poured from the cut. He then planted his forelegs firmly on the ground and gave the earth pony a solid buck on his backside, sending him to the ground face first.

The other guards ceased their activity and watched the scene in utter bemusement while Wrath simply trotted forward and examined his attacker. He grunted in pain and then his body shined and gruadually revealed another body. The guards around him gasped when they noticed that the attacker was a changeling the whole time. Wrath suppressed his own gasp as he looked upon the shady intruder 'Just like Envy...' He then turned to two guards with a stern look in his eyes "You two! Round up the intruder and follow me!" He then turned to the others "The rest of you shall be on standby until further notice!"

The guards saluted as Wrath made his way into the castle while the two guards carried the injured changeling and followed their commanding officer. Wrath could already feel a battle approaching with the sudden occurence of this event.
_____

Princess Celestia sat on her throne while Luna sat in her own alongside her older sister. Both the regal sisters had figured it was going to be another peaceful day to enjoy without consequence. Celestia smiled when she thought about the possible progress the element bearers were making in teaching the former homunculi, save for Wrath, about the Magic of Friendship. The solar princess broke the silence when several humorous scenarios played in her head "I wonder how Twilight is handling Greed. Do you think they are holding up okay, Luna?"

Luna looked at Celestia with a raised eyebrow "Is thine question regarding your faithful student necessary with how thou chooseth to issue a classic postal prank?"

Celestia huffed at the question, but kept her smile "It was a good idea at the time. And with how Greed seemed so eager to learn more about magic, who else would he turn to other than you or me for proper guidance? " Her smile grew more "Besides, I have full confidence in Greed for taking in the lessons he needs to live a fulfilling life in Equestria. While his ways are not the most acceptable, I believe he and his siblings can be guided in the right direction."

Luna sighed "That is another problem we fear. We've not expected Wrath to remain here at the castle and not carry the same sentence bestowed upon his brethren. There is also the matter of the pegasus called Envy..." She looked stern "We do not share the most confidence with that pony's irrepressible behavior."

Celestia gave a solemn nod "True, but we should be lucky that Envy chose not to do anything drastic other than what was demonstrated yesterday. We can only hope that Envy can be able to learn like Greed and the others..."

The regal sisters were startled when the doors to the throne room bursted open to reveal Wrath trotting at a fast pace with two guards following behind him as they carried the injured changeling. Wrath stopped in front of the steps leading to the dual thrones and gave a proper kneel to the two princesses "Majesties...I come bearing a disturbance that revealed itself onto the training grounds!" He turned to the guards who set down the changelings and triggered the expressions of shock on Celestia's and Luna's faces. The furious pony looked back up to them "We found this creature masquerading as one of our troops. It tried to attack me, but I've fended it off easily..."

Celestia rose from her seat and trotted down "I've never thought we would see one of them again..." She spoke in a hushed and serious tone. Celestia noted the curious and intent expression in Wrath's gaze and decided to give him the details "Wrath, what you have discovered outside on was practically the latest threat that has befallen Equestria a few months ago." She pointed to the injured creature "That which you have confronted is called a changeling. They take the forms of anypony they see fit while feeding off of the love of other ponies to fuel their own power! They have invaded Canterlot during the wedding of Shining Armor and Princess Cadence and have nearly succeeded in the past." She closed her eyes and trotted towards one of the windows that showed the streets of Canterot and the solar princess looked outside with a neutral gaze "We will have to take large safety measures if the changeling swarm chooses to attack us once more..."

Luna turned away at the mention of changelings with a sad look on her face. She felt horrible around that time when she chose to seek absence while the crisis grew out of proportion. The princess of the night had remembered how Queen Chrysalis had hypnotized her into a deep sleep before she took her place on the alter only to be revealed by Twilight and the real Cadence.

Wrath nodded as he took the information in 'So that is what the creature is called...This could not bode well for Envy if things grow more catastrophic...' He looked stern, but his eye pleaded for confirmation "Princess Celestia, I would like to send a message to my family in Ponyville. I cannot let them be met with the same fate as us when a matter of grave importance has struck beyond castle walls!"

Celestia looked back at the furious pony and nodded "Very well, Wrath, you have my permission..." She looked up into the skies out the window "Knowing how Shining Armor's magic shield combined with Cadence's reinforced magical strength had scattered most of the changelings, it would be wise not to take any chances knowing that any other town or city is safe."

Wrath was now curious "Wait...Did you say that Shining Armor's shield has managed to keep the changelings at bay?"

Celestia nodded to Wrath "Yes. While it is unknown as to how Queen Chrysalis managed to infiltrate Canterlot and remain hidden for so long, Shining Armor had held them all off, especially with his wife's help."

Wrath looked down, inwardly impressed with Shining Armor's magical capabilities. It was no surprise with how he was the older brother of Twilight Sparkle "I see..." He looked back up "Princess, after I send my letter we should-"

Celestia interrupted "Yes..." She turned to the furious pony and trotted a few steps forward "I'm afraid we will have to end their vacation a little early. With this threat reaching us again, we will have to take the necessary precautions for our next approach..."

End of Chapter 25