• Published 19th May 2015
  • 300 Views, 0 Comments

Opposites Attract - jsn2001



When a loner finds somepony in need, he isn't too eager to help. However, he grows somewhat fond of the pony, and ends up spilling some blood to keep her safe.

  • ...
 0
 300

Long Gone

A dim light.

That was all I could see. A dim light. Was I dead? I was sure of it. My the light grew brighter, and I was able to see my hooves in front of my face. I was standing, but I couldn't feel. No air. No floor. Nothing. All was silent, and I felt a strange sense of peace...

"Long time no see." said a familiar voice, as a figure slowly began to form in front of me. It was a mare, well, at least, the silhouette of one.

"H-holy Cross?" I muttered, nearly jumping at the sound of my own voice.

"Forgot about me already?" she said.

Everything was become clearer by the second. Everything was white, save for the floor. It was a grey, mossy brick pattern. I was certain I was dead at this point. My suspicions grew stronger once I recognized the figure in front of me as Moonlit Dreams- my deceased sister.

"M-moony? Is it really you?"

"Of course, you big dope." She said happily.

"So, I'm dead?" I spoke softly. She chuckled.

"No, silly. You're unconscious. I'm just here to knock some sense into you."

I couldn't tell if this was real, or just my imagination playing a trick on me. Or maybe I was dead- maybe she was lying. Why would my sister lie? Then again, why would she be here?

Why would I be here?

"What do you mean, sis?"

"This bullshit with you! I know you blame yourself for my death, and it would be crazy if you weren't mourning, but you're hurting yourself, and you're hurting others."

"Icy Winds deserves to die." I said abruptly.

"Do you hear yourself?!" she began. "If I were still alive, you would turn him in to the guard. Do that now. Don't get hurt trying to be the hero."

"I'm not a hero," I said, "and I never claimed to be one."

"But you're not a bad person." she said, approaching me. "I don't want you to share my fate. I miss you, but come to me when you're ready..."

"I don't want to leave...I want to stay with you!" I said, with tears in my eyes.

"Not yet, brother. It's not time yet." She was crying too.

"Please don't make me go..." I pleaded. She just looked at me, smiling through the tears.

I gasped as I woke up. The air was cool, and my throat hurt like hell. Looking around, I saw medical machines, and my hooves at the end of the hospital bed. To my right was none other than Icy Winds. I resisted getting up and killing him here.

"Mr. Dreams?" said a blue Earth pony as he walked in. His mane was short. He looked odd.

"Haze, please." I said.

"I'm glad to see you're awake. Put your worries to rest, there's no doubt you'll be fine-"

"Where's Holy Cross?" I interrupted. The doctor cocked his head.

"The girl? She's fine. No injuries, except for that cut on her hand from the lamp."

"Lamp?" I remembered hearing glass shattering right before I blacked out.

"Mrs. Cross had smashed a lamp over the unicorn's head. Saved your life. She's been coming in here often, praying for you. She's right outside."

She saved my life. She hit her own husband to save me.

"Thanks, doc. Send her in, please?"

"Of course." He said. "Oh, your cousin is here too."

"Cousin?" I asked. I've only met about 3 of my cousins, and they had all died, be it drugs, gang fights, or freak accidents.

"Lucky Fields." he said. I didn't know what to say, so I just went with it.

"Send them both in."

The doctor nodded and motioned for the ponies in the hallway to enter before he exited himself. Cross came first, dashing over to me and hugging me, maintaining her gentleness despite the circumstance. Then, a yellow pony with a messy, dark green mane walking in slowly, taking off his hat and holding it over his heart.

"Hello again, cus'." He said, with a slight country accent.

"I...I don't think I know you." I said, trying not to offend him. He nodded and chuckled.

"You do. My real name is Lucky Dreams- but that's a bit too mare-like for my tastes." He said confidently.

"He was really worried. I was too." said Cross. I smiled slightly.

"I'm fine. Thanks for saving me, Cross." She cringed and looked at her husband.

"Yeah...hey, uh, I'll give you too some time alone..." she got up and left the room. I apologized as she waked out.

"I do recognize the name," I started, picking the conversation back up. "I met you as a little colt, right?"

He nodded.

"Why didn't I see you again until now?" I asked.

"I was adopted by your aunt, the bitchy unicorn, no offense." He said sharply. "They kicked me out once they discovered I wasn't some fancy tux-wearin' Canterlot fella. I just traveled after that. Went everywhere. Eventually landed here- and saw your name in the paper."

"That's nice of you...wait, I remember you now," I said. "The family cook-out? Mom dragged me and Moony to it against our will- and you played with us."

That was one of my fonder memories. He smiled.

"Yeah, that's me. Damn, it hurts my heart that we met once again while you look like this." He sighed and I frowned. "Well, despite the fact you look a lot worse, that Icy fella certainly didn't win the fight. The church lady certainly knows how to defend herself."

I chuckled at the irony of that comment, and started to speak- but there was movement next to me. Icy Winds was awake, moving around in bed. He sat up and looked at me as his eyes adjusted.

"I swear to Celestia, I'm going to kill you. Just wait." he said, with fire in his eyes. I wasn't the slightest bit intimidated. I responded calmly.

"I'm not a very patient person. I'll come to you first."I looked at Lucky, who was trying to stay out of it. Icy clutched his head. I wondered if he had a concussion. I hoped not, I wanted us both out of here in a few days so I could kick his ass.

The doctor came in and gave Icy the same speech he gave me, and he went back to sleep. Me and Lucky chatted a while, and he left. I told Cross goodbye, and she left, not to excited about her husband's awakening.

Days passed. I felt as if I were getting worse just laying there. My suspicions were confirmed when they let Icy out- and kept me for another few days.

"There may be some severe throat damage, it's a small chance but not worth the risk." the doctor said.

"You don't understand- someone could get hurt." I pleaded.

"The Royal Guard will handle it. Get some rest, this talking isn't good for your throat."

I sighed. He was gonna hurt her. I couldn't let that happen. Not that I LOVED her or anything- she was just a good person...she didn't deserve pain. Hours passed of me pondering what to do, and I finally realized I was helpless. That's when Lucky Fields came back.

"Hey cuz'. How ya doin?" he said, with a smile.

"Holy Cross is in danger. That psychotic asshole is out. He's going to kill her for what she did!"

He stood there for a moment, thinking about what I had said, before shutting the door.

"I'll help you save your marefriend, but don't get hurt, okay?

"She's not my marefriend," I began, "and there isn't really anything you can do."

"I can get you out." he said confidently, and began unplugging me from the medical monitoring machines.

"Lucky, you could get arrested, stop." I said.

He shook his head. "We gotta be there for each other. I'm stickin' my neck out for you and the church lady. You're family. I help family. By Celestia, I ain't leavin' you here when that girl is in danger."

He opened the window.

"Not a big drop. You can make it, right?" He asked.

"I think so...but why are you doing this? We barely know each other." I said.

"I ain't got many friends. You're all I have left now that Moonlit's gone..." he said softly.

I wasn't sure what to do, so I did what most of those normal ponies do and hugged him. It felt awkward and weird, I wasn't sure how I felt.

"Thank you, Lucky."

"I'll meet you at the girl's house, okay? I'll get the address from one of them documents on the asshole unicorn."

I nodded and climbed out the window. It wasn't very high, so it was pretty easy. Things were in my favor. I wished I had a cigarette so bad right now. They made me focus, helped me do what I do. Whatever that is.

I sprinted for as long as I could, and ran out of energy. Slowly but surely, I arrived at Holy Cross and Icy Winds' house. The door was wide open. My mind flashed back to when I had found my sister dead, and the door wide open. I stopped. I felt sick. It was too late, she was dead.

Lucky arrived a few minutes later.

"I can't look..." I muttered.

Lucky looked inside and then back at me. "I hear ya. An empty house. Terrifying."

I got up and looked inside- empty.

"Look around for clues where she's gone." I commanded. Lucky nodded.

After searching for a while, I was nearly ready to give up. Then I noticed something. Next to the door frame there were signs of a struggle. Apparently, she had been struck as she was being forced out the door, enough to cause her to bleed. She had written a message in her own blood. Scrawled hastily on the door frame, her note was just what we needed.
"731 canterlot"

Canterlot...

"We've got to stop them from getting there." said Lucky, one step ahead of me. "No doubt they're taking a train. Let's head for the station."

I nodded, taking in a breath of air. I hadn't even noticed how worried I was. It scared me.

We rushed to the train station, my lack of energy being disregarded because of the adrenaline pumping in my heart. It all depleted once we arrived, and the train was moving. I practically screamed as I ran to the ticket stand.

"Stop that damn train!"

The elderly mare there scoffed. "Listen, buddy, I don't care if you missed your ride, you snooze you lose."

I was about to scream at her when Lucky put a hoof on my shoulder. I looked at him and he just shook his head. I laid off.

"Fuck. FUCK! We're too late..." I said. I meant it, too.

"Now hang on, we can't give up. We'll take the next train, and catch up with them when we get there. He would have killed her already if he wanted to. He hurt her- but didn't kill her."

"I...I guess you're right." I said. "We'll take this next train."

The next train pulled into the station and we prepared to board. Nothing packed. It didn't matter, we had to save her, for some reason. I don't feel love, I've always taught myself that. But recently, my sister's words began to seem more and more possible...did I love Holy Cross?

None of it would matter if she died. We had to save her. My sister would want me to be careful, but she knows it's right, deep down, just like I do.

"Don't get hurt trying to be the hero."

I won't, moony.

Looking to my left, I saw Lucky Fields standing right by me- like he'd always be. I had an ally, someone on my side. Earlier he'd said that he was helping me because i'm family. He put it as if he were obligated to help. I suppose that's how it works. He'll have my back...

...and dammit, I'll have his too.

Author's Note:

So I haven't gotten much feedback, but I'll keep writing for now.
I hope this chapter isn't too bad :S