• Published 17th May 2012
  • 885 Views, 0 Comments

Beyond Our Harmony - Hyperspace Nomad



This the story of Luna leading up to the Nightmare Moon incident. But something is not quite right..

  • ...
 0
 885

Chapter 2: A Different Kind of Oath

“Very well done Crystal Clear! Now that you have completed the initiation, we can begin to adjust thou to thy new living as Chief Royal Scribe!” Luna said in an approving tone.

“At your will Princess!” Crystal said with a slightly joking tone

Very well then! Let no passing be in vain! Family of our new assistant, we appreciate thy acquaintance, but now we ask for the conclusion to this meeting! Thou are dismissed! May you travels under our moon be safe!”

“At once your highness!” Laudan Clear replied

“Make your family proud my dear Crystal!” Clenin Clear called out

With this, both of Crystal’s parents were escorted out of the throne room.

Luna tilted her head close to Crystal and whispered. “Come walk with me Crystal there is still much I wish to discuss.”

As she finished, she gestured to the night guards out of the throne room to wait outside. Soon, only Crystal and the Princess of the night remained.

“is something wrong?” Crystal muttered back

“No, I simply wish to take the time to show you around the castle and….. perhaps to get to know my new assistant better.” Luna replied sounding somewhat guilty as she gestured for Crystal to follow her.

Luna had just now remembered the risks she was now considering taking.

For a few moments there was silence until Crystal attempted to drum up conversation
“Princess, your speaking was very eloquent, do you enjoy it?”

“Are you referring to my voice as of now or my way with the Royal Canterlot Voice?”

“ The latter” Crystal answered

“Yes, the voice of Royalty is to always captivate with poetic prose and I do find it entertaining occasionally. However, I guess you could say that I am not very favorable to hiding behind a way of speaking. I cannot see how the shouting aspect of the voice would ever help me improve my image as a caring ruler. When I use the voice, subjects cower and dip to my presence, however when I try to speak as most ponies do, rumors of weakness in me would spread among the nobility.”

“Well why would you, the all powerful princess of the night, be afraid of some band of stuffy nobility?” Crystal inquired jokingly

“Those nobleponies still hold enough influence that they could compromise the legitimacy of my rule if motivated. I need ponies under me to comply if I should ever want to accomplish anything. I would not give a care if I did not feel afraid that my sister and her subjects would have difficulties filling the void I would create by simply walking away. I would just be throwing away any hope of ever being loved and accepted again.”

“I.. I guess that makes sense” Crystal said, warily.

“But with your assistance Crystal… “Luna began to smile weakly

Crystal looked up.

“Maybe then can my duties as Princess feel more worthwhile… but we can discuss such things… after we have attended to duties at hoof. So let me give you a look around Castle Canterlot to get you familiar with daily tasks.”

So they began their trot around the castle as Luna explained various protocols.

Luna’s tone began focused and dignified but became more guilty and apologetic near the end of her instructions. “Your role as my chief scribe and assistant will be managing the logistics of the actions and decrees I sent in motion. You will often relay instructions from me to whoever is tasked with running said operations. Many ponies in Equestria perform with more vigor if they can meet their supervisors in pony. It should go without saying that I myself have had ‘difficulties’ with this approach, not to mention that I now manage operations that originally fell under my sisters responsibilities. I will not deceive you Crystal, because of that, you maybe have to whether longer periods without sleeping like I have sometimes needed to do. But fear not, I will provide you with special potions to augment you in this undertaking. With all spoken, do you, Miss Clear, consider yourself up to this task?”

LATER….

For the next few hours, Luna continued to walk Crystal though various proceedings of running the night court. She got to witness a few ponies coming to make proposals and Luna carrying out various governmental operations. Many of the ponies she spoke with did not see too happy to work with her.

After some time, Crystal and Luna found themselves once again alone in a large hallway. It had been an interesting night so far but one cold fact still pricked at her mind.

The thought of lacking sleep greatly bothered Crystal. Even though she had been worked hard by her father in government studies, she had never once been pushed as far as to miss sleep. She almost regretted the decision to become the night court assistant. She had never expected a position touted as one of high status to possibly be so demanding on her. Up to this point she just wanted a break from the grind that she had be used to. However, Crystal noticed that Luna’s tone of voice in speaking to Crystal had continued to shift between a composed formal and a more sincere casual ever since they had began walking around the castle. Luna seemed to be quite edgy. Maybe on top of all of the negativity often thrown her way by common ponies, she truly was in fact, overworked.

Crystal remembered this feeling. It was years ago when she had just began one of her most intense education regiments at one of Canterlot’s most prestigious universities. It was at that point she felt like she could not take such things anymore. Her family had pushed her into these trials against her own wishes. She had always wanted to be an actress or creative director for some theater company. She enjoyed drama and quickly found government studies boring beyond belief. She, however, had no choice due to her parents deciding that the best application of Crystals talents in communication were in government operations or in the nobility. Her foalhood friends did not understand why she was so upset. She was going to trained to someday work for the princesses or maybe become a noble, what was not to like? Careers were heavily governed by Cutie Mark based special talents and Crystal’s talent opened up many opportunities. Unfortunately for Crystal, it was widely considered to be ungrateful to have a career that did not utilize a pony’s talent to its fullest influence. She felt caged by the culture she now lived in. Nopony in Canterlot seemed to care about her true feelings or desires. It once reached the point where she attempted to run away from her parents and Canterlot, only to be apprehended by royal guards after three days on the run in the countryside. Her parents would then keep her under strict watch for the next few years. Eventually, Crystal would come to accept her fate, but her bitterness about her future would not be too far from the surface in her consciousness.

Even if Crystal’s life was soon to become even busier, she for once in her life felt that she was in a better place. Maybe all of her hardship would pay off after all somehow. Before she continued however, she needed to truly get to know who her princess really was as a good friend, not an employer. She had gotten a glimpse of the true pony behind the face of royalty in their previous night. They could have much in common but Crystal needed to know more. Such a task just could not wait.

“I need to ask you something first Luna. If we will be working together then I need to know what is troubling you at this moment Luna. Please share your troubles with me. ” Crystal put a drive of deep sincerity

“ I….. um…. Er….. It is simply some recent frustrations with my operations and Canterlot politics in general. Nothing that you need to be concerned for me about…. Business as usual.” Luna’s response was followed by an awkward pause.

“ I say we get back to our look around of the castle, shall we?” Luna looked nervous
Crystal gave a smug glare of disapproval. “It did not seem like such a mundane issue judging by our first meeting last night.

You seemed ready to tear yourself apart. Please tell me!”

Luna said nothing with a look of melancholy on her face

Crystal began to feel desperate, emotions beginning to well up. She must not throw away such a chance to meet somepony like Luna.

“ I… I need to know if you can be a pony that I can express some personal troubles to. I so greatly need a pony that actually to converse with that could understand who I truly am and I believe you do too.” Crystal was on the verge of tears. Years of bitterness welling up needing release.

“Please Luna, you look so stressed. Is this not what you also have desired for? To have somepony to talk to who can relate?”

Luna looked look strained and conflicted. She had honestly never expected this to happen with this much intensity. She thought that her outburst the previous night would dispel Crystal. That it was almost a law of nature for her to be without a true companion ever since she and Celestia began to drift apart in recent years. She had been so shocked and so delighted at first to have company like Crystal. But then she remembered the dangers of Princesses having personal friendships.

“Crystal, as much as I desire the companionship of a pony like you, I…I still have worries about if this would be a wise idea. I feel torn by the risk I would be taking. The princesses are not supposed to have personal friends. I am not supposed to pick favorites. I have lived for hundreds of years now. If anypony where to find out, especial the nobility of Canterlot, ponies who serve under me may no longer be ‘willed’ to follow my instructions if I did not hold an image of intimidation. Worst yet, they may come for you Crystal. I have many enemies both in the nobility and common pony that are always looking for any weakness or liabilities on my part. The last thing I would allow for is for you to come of harm in light of my actions.” Luna spoke sincerely.

Crystal Clear gave off a look of defeat.

“Please, do not be disappointed…. It still touches me deeply to know the at least somepony can care and relate. If we are to work together under that sentiment, it will still have much good meaning in it.” Luna continued.
Crystal for a moment was silent, still taken aback by this realization. How had she been so naïve? Canterlot politics were a serious game and she may have been simply setting herself up for another incident like the one that happened years ago….. or….. worse.

No…..

She would not let anything stop her if she knew that Luna and herself had a chance to develop a bond, maybe almost as sisters. Any risk was better than spending the rest of her life as a pet of her parents and a prisoner of a restricting high society culture.

“Luna, I do not give any apples about what could happen to me. You are the only pony that has not attempted to make me their pet. It would be all worth it. Please, I do not want to return to the life I had before just with a new job. It once drove me so far as to attempt to run away from home when I was a filly! After almost dying in the countryside, I was caught by royal guards and dragged back to Canterlot only to be kept under tight watch ever since!”

“So YOU were that filly that everyone was in panic about years ago? Your parents definetly seemed so worried for your safety when they begged me to….. Oh Crystal! I did not know that I played a part in your past troubles!” Luna was shocked at this new thought.

Luna began to worry deeply for Crystals well being even if she was kept at hooves length. She could be , as Celestia and her staff called, a “Maverick” pony. Mavericks were ponies that did not wish to accept their “Destined” place in Equestria or who’s personal desires in life directly conflicted with their cutie marks. These ways of thinking were considered dangerous to Equestrian society.

If she where to attempt anything unacceptable as a full growth mare independent of her parents….

Luna was never fond of what could happen next nor could she attempt to stop her sister from making her “corrections” hence she start a civil war. She had to keep Crystal from taking her rebellious tendencies too far in the society they both lived in. Luna figured that the most effective way to do this would be to provide Crystal with the very thing she needed most: somepony who would listen.”

Then Luna snapped to realization. What was she thinking just moments ago? Why did she just attempt to push Crystal away anyway? Somepony actually desiring above all else to be a true friend through life’s trials and she was now worried about what her sister or those snotty nobles though of her? She had dreamed and hoped that she would someday meet a pony like Crystal. One that Celestia had not “addressed” first. She had hoped since they parted last night that things would come to this. Another fiery soul filled with the desire to determine its own destiny. She had to protect who Crystal was from a world that was deathly afraid of strong personal identities and ambitions. She had to jump at this chance as it may never come again.

Luna continued to ponder the course she would now take….

With Crystal at her side she would not need to care anymore… not about her sisters opinion or what anypony besides Crystal thought of her. Luna felt a rush of new possibilities. She and her new assistant could take on the world. Maybe they could even change societies’ outlook on personal ambition for the better. It felt better to try than to spend what could be an eternity alone or give her sister times to attempt to “correct” any more self-seeking ponies.

Luna then transitioned from an expression of worry to one of pleasing anticipation with such thoughts. The next few weeks looked like they could be fun. Maybe she could go on that vacation after all, with Miss Clear present of course.

Luna could only beam a smile, “Well… if you feel so strongly about your desire to know me…. Then we could now make a different kind of oath.”

“What kind of oath?”

“ To always listen to each other. “

“Do you really mean it? Best friends and companions for life and beyond?” Crystal asked eagerly, now hopping briskly.

“We will see Crystal, we will see. Form now however, let us spit on it.” Luna said with somewhat reckless enthusiasm, firing various mouth liquids onto her waiting hoof.

This caught Crystal completely off guard to say the least.

“Wa..wa …WHAT?!?... T-That is completely disgusting!”Crystal quickly recoiled as Luna extended her hoof forward

“I…I got filthy enough back when I was crossing a bog while running away from home! Please not again!”

“Oh…. Erm… I would not mind you telling that story later. But you no longer need to worry Crystal. You are safe with me. Now please, let us shake on our new arrangement.”

But did you really find it necessary to spit on your hoof?” Crystal snapped

“I take it you always wanted to reject the society we now live in, yes? This is merely the first step my dear companion! Please, do it for me?” Luna began to flutter her eyelids playfully

“oh.. erm… very well then. Just this once. For your friendship” Crystal proceeded to spit on her hoof, clearly not liking it, and slamming the bottom of her hoof into Luna’s.”

Shake

Both ponies had a reckoning of what the consequences might be, but it was better than being alone….
“Now, how about that story of you running away..” Luna said

SOON…..

The Princess of the Night and company retired to Luna’s chamber for Tea and snacks. With this, they both began to elaborate on tales of what brought them to this point.

…..

“ I always loved Drama and have always wanted to build a career in theater but my parents decided that my talents would be better applied as a member of the Royal Court. I honestly believe that all they wanted was to exploit the fact that they had a daughter with a valuable talent for their own personal gain. It is the same thing with my old friends, if I can still call them that. Everyone wanted to know that mare with a talent for communication. They never wanted to know Crystal Clear.”

Luna pondered for a moment “ Well I am sure that they, deep inside, care about who you are. It is just too easy to lose sight in this world we live in. Much of who we are is cast in stone, fixed, to many degrees further than I am sure many would like. Some ponies enjoy it, others just accept it, while others make the best of it.”

“Well would if a pony ends up with a very niche talent or one that has little value? What if that talent is something that is virtually worthless?” Crystal responded

“Well most ponies are taught to take pride in whatever they can contribute no matter how small. These sentiments are reinforced due to most ponies always being willing to embrace others for who they are. Everypony is happy and everpony continues to pass that happiness on to the next pony. So they Equestrian continues to live in harmony now and forever. Or… at least that is we are supposed to say…”

“If everything is so perfect, then why do I feel otherwise? Why can I not chose the path I want? Why can I not be an actress or threater director?”

“That… is what I am at odds with at the moment. A pony has little real choice in the path their life will take, almost none at all. I honestly do not wish to be Co-ruling Princess of Equestria anymore. Nopony seems to give thanks for all the things I do for them. Everypony seems to hate the nights I bring forth. I could just walk away, but my sister would never be able to take care of Equestria alone. But, more importantly, I presume that Celestia would never stop attempting to drag me back to Canterlot. She always want to be the all-correct ‘wise’ pony who everypony could go to for answers. I ponder it is due to being chosen to bear the element of magic and the elements of harmony by extension. She has too much of a self righteous ego. ” Luna held a slightly defeated sigh.

All this reminded Luna of the previous night.

“Crystal, about last night….”

“If you are referring to own little ‘argument’, then I completely forgive you.” Crystal said cheerfully

“ I believe that I was about to lose my mind that night if You had not stayed with me after my outburst. I was truly thinking that all hope for me was lost. I was so envious of my sister. Fate worked out for her while nothing played out in my favor. It seemed like she now held all the cards. I started having dark thoughts. “Luna shivered with bitterness as she spoke

“I wanted to honestly strike out her, to make her suffer for once. I would give her colossal ego a fine thrashing. …..and the ‘people of Equestria?’ Well, maybe I could teach them to respect me, my accomplishments and my beautiful night skies. I wanted to take action to unleash my wrath upon them all.” Luna let out a sigh

“But now… I just would like to get away from it all. Maybe to sneak out of the castle unnoticed and find enjoyment. Perhaps we could both go on a vacation together.”

Crystal expressed feelings of bitter sweetness. “That does sound like a wonderful idea, better that… your previous…. thoughts, but… who will tend to our duties in our absence? Would you sister and the nobles be unfavorable of this idea?”

“Well.. I believe that I may have a plan in light of recent events. Honestly it never felt to be worth the effort until I met you Crystal Clear. “

“So want do you have in mind then?”

“I feel it is time to began phasing out my position as Co-ruler or perhaps find someone else to fill my shoes who would desire the duties.”

“But what about my position as your assistant? All those years of toil?” Crystal interjected

“Oh Miss Clear, I thought I heard you said that you wish to apply your talents elsewhere.”

“Oh…. Um … right. But what about all those years of arduous training? As much as I never asked for it, I simply do not like the thought of that work being all for not.” CrystaI dipped her head, somewhat defeated again.

“Fear not Crystal, we shall accomplish more in a few weeks time than both of us have separately in years of our lives. You career as my assistant will be fulfilled in full.”

Crystal brought her head back up. “Then what do we do now?”

Luna pondered for a moment, tapping her hoof to her chin. It was a couple hours until dawn at this point and despite the dramatic episode that unfolded tonight, Luna had still been able to fulfill virtually all of her orientations of Court protocols to Crystal as planned.

“I believe that you have been adequately introduced to all of the court procedures as I had originally planned so you may be dismissed as my assistant until the next nightfall. ”

“I assume that means we will need part ways for now? ” Crystal asked slightly saddened. She had for the first time in years had truly enjoyable free time with company. Why did it have to end so soon?
Luna gave a warm smile.

“I look forward to meeting with you again Crystal, enjoy the rest the night and please get the rest you will need. I however have something I must now attend to alone. Do not be sad, we will be in each other’s company again soon enough.”

As Crystal passed through the doors of Luna’s chamber, she poked her head in one last time.

“Thank you Luna…. For everything…..”

“Think nothing of it Crystal, It is a wonderful feeling to have somepony like you that I could possible consider a second sister….. Good night Crystal Clear…”

Crystal Clear then shut the door behind her and Proceeded to the Castle exit.

As soon as Crystal departed, Luna quickly gathered her thoughts on the idea she was about to execute. As much as she wished to leave the castle with Crystal, letting everypony possibly see her doing something that was not official business would do nothing but harm.

Until now she never felt like trying to sneak out of the castle and mingle with common ponies. There was, until now, nothing of value waiting for her outside should she succeed to be worth the risks. Many ponies were not fond of her, some simply because she symbolized the night. Regardless of the merits, she had enough interest in this idea to begin researching disguise spells and other illusions to aid in the task. Much of what she found so far came to be useful in executing various pranks on her sister and the nobles.

It was the least she could do to break up the monotony of her rule. Her spree of comedy soon came to an end once Celestia began to enhance the security of the castle. Even though Luna never actually got caught, attempting now to use any current spells for pranks would quickly end up with her actions being detected either by her sister or by one of the court mages entrusted with managing the new security enchantments. This predicament however, only strengthened Luna’s hobby of trying to outdo Celestia and her court when it came to magical research, even more so now that she really did want to make a covert escape from the castle without being tracked down.

Luna was now ready to make her way to the royal archives to search for a more powerful method of masking her presence. She could perhaps continue her readings of Starswirl the Bearded. His works predated the appearance of the Royal pony sisters and there was still much to be found within his more obscure tomes. It was still two or so hours before she would need to lower the moon. Luna felt a confident feeling that she could come up with something before then.
Thinking about getting back to her wild experiments had her reminis about days long ago were she did not have to worry about royal duties or anything of the sort. Of course her life was changed forever on the day she and her sister moved the skies for the first time. With her mind set on researching new magic, she decided to return to an age old question: How did she and her sister really come control the skies of day and night?