• Published 18th May 2015
  • 2,626 Views, 124 Comments

Princess of Shadows, Darkness, and Light - jwizard



The rumors of a kingdom that Luna had made before her fall to Nightmare Moon have persisted; but what if said rumors were true? What if there WAS another kingdom, one that existed on the moon?

  • ...
9
 124
 2,626

Chapter Four: The Journey Home

Crystal Empire, 06-03-05 A.N.M., 12:34 P.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


The journey to the settlement took most of the morning; not because the fields were all that far from the settlement, but because of the sheer number of Crystal Ponies that wanted to see one of the heroines of the Crystal Empire. When they became aware that Rainbow was also involved, they were even more excited.

Of course, being who she was, Rainbow Dash naturally basked in as much of the limelight as she could. Normally, this would be because of her not inconsiderable ego. However, she did it this time for far different reasons. The first was that she wanted to get as much of the adoration as Rainbow Dash, the pegasus that helped free the Crystal Ponies as she could. She knew that as soon as the truth came out, she would be adored for something that was, in a very real sense, frightening.

The other reason was that she was trying to draw as much attention from Twilight as she could. Rainbow had always known that Twilight hated the limelight, at least on some level. She even had mentioned such to her friends on more than a few occasions. However, tied to her love as she was now, she could feel the waves of consternation, nervousness, and even fear that Twilight was suppressing. So, Rainbow did as much as she could, which was only getting harder the closer they got to the settlement.<A little help, Serenity?> she asked. A wordless assurance was felt, and Rainbow felt peace and serenity descend on her. Using a connection that was still new, Rainbow let that serenity translate to Twilight, to lessen the burden she was holding.

For Twilight, the journey to the Crystal Pony settlement reminded her exactly why she hated adulation. No matter how much she wanted to be like the Princess, Twilight was not at all comfortable with the limelight, especially when other ponies were far more deserving of it. Plus, it brought back all of her old fears of failure and inadequacy. Her breathing exercises to stave off her panic attacks were something she couldn’t do in crowds, and it was getting harder to breathe. Before she could fall apart though, a calm serenity descended over her. Looking over, she caught the eyes of Rainbow Dash, and smiled. As long as Rainbow was by her side, she could weather any storm. Rainbow smiled back, knowing that Twilight would do the same for her when needed.


Crystal Empire, 06-03-05 A.N.M., 12:47 P.M. (After Nightmare Moon)

Brighthoof grunted as he finished his daisy, peanut butter, and Crystal Berry jam sandwich. Paperwork always made him ravenous, not to mention grouchy. Even though he was incredibly grateful that he and the rest of his fellow Crystal Unicorns were now free of Starswirl’s Seal, he was NOT AT ALL happy to be once again forced to deal with paperwork. Even though the intervening time between the Sealing and it’s breaking had enabled Equestria to catch up to Utopia in terms of technology, said technology was prohibitively expensive. In fact, outside of the administrative offices at the Crystal Palace, there wasn’t a single government office that had even a recording crystal; though there were such things as phonographs and cameras.

Stalwart Beauty was of the opinion that the reason said technology was being held back wasn’t because of cost, but because the Crystal Empire was still trying to acclimate itself after being sealed for so long. Brighthoof, and his wife Radiant Dawn were of a different opinion. There were many within the government offices that were mistrusting of the common Crystal Pony, and were outright hostile to Crystal Unicorns in general. The local administrator that the Crystal Princess had sent made that plain. As long as he, and any of his family were in charge, there would be little aid sent to the far-flung settlements.

Brighthoof sighed, turning back to his hated paperwork. When the Seal first broke, the image he and the other Faithful had seen was disjointed and confusing. None of them were even sure which of the two ponies involved was their new Princess. Many thought that the pegasus Rainbow Dash was; however, word was that she was still a pegasus had recently come. It was likely that Princess Twilight was the one, though something deep inside Brighthoof felt otherwise.

Brighthoof’s efforts to at least deal with the pile in front of him were cut short by the abrupt entrance of his aide, a young Crystal Pony by the name of Sunshine. She was one of those that had recently emigrated to the settlement, along with her family. Devotees of the Aurora, her family was being ostracized by officials in the city that were trying to outlaw that worship. “Deputy Mayor, there’s a pony out here you really need to see. It’s her.” Brighthoof started, then abruptly got up from his desk. Happily taking any excuse to leave his hated paperwork behind, Brighthoof followed the mare outside.

The first thing he saw upon leaving the Mayor’s residence was his daughter, Stalwart Beauty. Radiant Belle, his granddaughter, was riding on her back, looking sleepy yet happy. Next to her was a Crystal Pegasus that Brighthoof would happily wish would just vanish, Storm Breeze. He was the administrator, all around plothole, and fairly useless pony that was sent by the Crystal Council when their territory came unsealed. The third pony was easily recognizable; Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Alicorn of Magic. The last pony, however, was something totally unexpected, yet wonderfully welcome. Standing next to Princess Twilight was the Alicorn of Light, Princess Rainbow Dash.

Brighthoof was confused. How couldn’t anypony else see this? The radiant glow spiraling off her mane and tail; her cutie mark of a shield superimposed by a multicolored thunderbolt. Even her horn was a thing of beauty; a bright cyan blue, just like her coat. Getting more confused, Brighthoof was about to step forward to ask, when he felt a knock on the door of his mind. He knew who that was, because she was looking right at him. <Grandpa, don’t say anything until tonight. Only us Faithful can know. Um, your eyes are glowing still.> Realizing that he had his True Sight up, Brighthoof dropped it. As he did so, Princess Rainbow reverted to looking like an ordinary pegasus. Well, all except the aura around her; that was something that likely marked her as their Princess and was probably subconscious.

Further musing was brought to a halt by the arrival of his wife, Radiant Dawn. With a feigned supercilious air, Dawn walked forwards to the group. She then went into a formal, yet quick bow. Brighthoof could tell by her posture that it was just as facetious as everything else; this was an act that made him want to roll his eyes. He noticed that two of the lackeys Storm Breeze brought with him were moving to cut him off from the group. Uh oh, this isn’t good. A blast of magic from Beauty’s horn knocked them both off their hooves. With a scowl, Storm Breeze moved to accost her, only to have Twilight move to stand aggressively in front of him.

“Before you take any more action, I suggest you realize that while I’m here, everypony here has the protection of five crowns. Take any more action against him or his own and I’ll see to it that you will spend the rest of your days patrolling the Badlands. I’ve heard that changelings particularly like Crystal Ponies; they have so much love for them to drain.” Turning to the others that were part of that crowd, Twilight’s voice took on an edge of anger. “Listen up!! I’m only going to say this once; attitudes of dislike or even hatred will not be tolerated in MY presence. Lord Brighthoof has my full protection.” With that, she moved to stand next to Brighthoof, Rainbow Dash and the rest following her. The group moved towards the manor, with Storm Breeze’s eyes following them hatefully. Glancing at Princess Rainbow, Brighthoof was pleased to see a look of disgust in her eyes. Scowling further, Storm Breeze made to object, then blanched when the local Ruby Guard commander pointed his spear at him aggressively.


A few minutes after that altercation, the various ponies involved (minus Storm Breeze and his cronies, who were nursing their wounds inside the stocks after being escorted there by members of the Ruby Guard), were sitting around the table in the smallest of the conference rooms. Mayor Dawn was sitting at the head of the table; next to her was her daughter and husband. Radiant Belle was with the rest of the foals, though it took a stern look from Rainbow Dash to get her to go with them. Twilight and Rainbow were sitting on either side of the two, with Sunshine sitting next to Twilight. She looked uncomfortable there, though Brighthoof likely thought that had more to do with the fact that Starshine was uncomfortable in any situation that wasn’t formal.

For the last few minutes, they had all been discussing pleasantries while some snacks and drinks were being prepared. Once one of their aids had done so, Dawn cleared her throat. “Well, Princess Twilight, Rainbow Dash,” she said, in an apologetic manner. “I hope that little display didn’t give you a bad impression of our community. For the most part, we here are fairly tolerant of other ponies, even those with unfortunate pasts.” Her expression grew pensive then, as if there was something that she wanted to say, yet didn’t know how to phrase it.

Stalwart Beauty spoke up then. “Mother, there’s no reason to hesitate. Princess Twilight and Miss Dash here already know. I told them already.” Seeing the shocked and angry look that her mother was leveling at her, Beauty snorted in irritation. “Mother, I wasn’t about to keep a secret like that from a Princess, especially one that was the personal student of Princess Celestia. From the pointed question that she asked me, I assumed that she was already aware. The conversation that we had on the way confirmed that.”

Brighthoof had an amused smirk on his muzzle. Once again, his daughter was showing how bright she was, considering there hadn’t been much time between their release and the arrival of the pair of princesses to properly prepare. He was just glad that his daughter had the chutzpah to put that plothole in his place; Storm Breeze and his cronies had been nothing but a problem since they had arrived with the newest exiles several days ago.

Rainbow looked at them. “It seems as though you guys have been having a great deal of difficulty with them, huh? Any particular reason why he and the others were sent?” she asked, looking directly at Brighthoof.

Brighthoof sighed. Should have known she’d be the one to ask the tough questions. Not pulling your punches, are you my Princess? Shifting a little in his seat, Brighthoof answered her. “Well, there are several, and all of them revolve around me I’m afraid.” He raised a hoof. “Before we get into those reasons, I wish to thank you for intervening on my daughter’s behalf. We’re already in deep water with the Crystal Council as it is, and my daughter isn’t helping any with her insistence on defending my honor.” Turning an exasperated gaze on Stalwart Beauty, Brighthoof went on.

“For the record, none of us would be having the problems we are if I had been able to agree to the Council’s demands. It seems, no matter what I had done after, few are able to forget that I originally came with Sombra. I wasn’t aware of his and the Equestrian Council’s plans until he started imprisoning Crystal Ponies.” The frown on Brighthoof’s muzzle grew deep. “Indeed, had I known what I know now, Sombra would have likely been sealed away long before we came here.” He sighed at that. “Well, that’s water under the bridge. I’m sure you want a full explanation.” Concentrating, Brighthoof teleported the manuscript of his memoirs in front of Twilight. “There is a condensed version of our journey, which actually started when I first met Sombra in Utopia. You might be aware of some of it Princess, as I know you have access to more history than most.”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, I do, although there’s quite a bit that has been lost to us.” Twilight looked sad. “Part of that has been the result of the efforts of many of the moneyed unicorns trying to keep the ‘politically correct’ versions in place.” She emphasized her statement with hoofquotes. “You mentioned other problems. What do those entail exactly?” She looked sheepish at this. “I kind of promised my sister-in-law that I would help catalogue the Crystal Library’s legal section next time I came for an extended visit, but I haven’t had the chance yet.”

Dawn, Beauty, and Brighthoof shared a concerned look at this. The three knew, without any doubt, that mentioning this part would bring the wrath of their Princess down on Unbound Crystal Ponies. That was something they wouldn’t wish on any of their Crystal Pony brethren. Not saying anything, however, would only make the situation worse. “Well,” Stalwart Beauty began, hesitatingly, “it has to do with the reason why we’re all out here, instead of joining the other larger settlements.” Looking dejected, Beauty went on. “Nearly all of the Crystal Ponies here are devotees of the Light itself. That’s caused some problems, as it seems Sombra laid down some laws preventing any Crystal Pony from openly worshipping the aura that the Crystal Heart emits.” Seeing the shocked and angry look on their guest’s faces, Dawn continued.

“It gets worse than that I’m afraid. The Council has amended such laws, which means that this community has been excommunicated from the rest of the Empire.” She sighed. “It’s only because the Ruby Guard is loyal to Prince Shining Armor that we’re still here. “ She then pulled a stack of documents that one of the aids had left on the table next to the door. “Here’s several copies of the eviction order that I was to deliver to the ponies around here in two days’ time. I already sent word to the Crystal Princess that we will accede to the demands.” Dawn looked sad. “I only hope that sanctuary in Equestria will be enough.”

Twilight looked shocked. “B-but I t-thought that the Crystal Empire followed the meritocracy,” she stuttered in disbelief. “How can they do s-something like that without Cadance’s approval?”

Brighthoof snorted at that. “Simple, Princess Twilight. It’s only with the blessing of Serenity that Princess Cadenza is still on her throne. The Crystal Council is in charge of the ENTIRE empire, which is more than just that small city you’ve seen.” He waved his hoof at the map that was on the wall, which showed all of the lands that were previously covered in snow. Only one small area was marked in the bands that represented Cadance’s kingdom. “If they decide to call a vote of no confidence, even that will change.”

A flash of light pulsed from Princess Rainbow Dash’s eyes, along with a deep sense of both anger and sadness. Once it passed, Brighthoof knew that the unfortunate had happened. What he heard in his mind next only confirmed what he already knew.

<That’s not happening, Steward Brighthoof,> the princess said. <Serenity’s blessing will always be upon the Crystal Princess, as she is a descendant of the first King. You’ll likely get word to return to the Crystal Palace soon, because in three days time that so-called Council will be no more.>

Brighthoof looked sad at that. <Can you perhaps leave Storm Breeze’s son out of this, my Princess? He’s not part of it, and only came because his father forced him to,> he asked her silently. She nodded slightly, knowing that the colt was a closet Faithful. Smiling gently, Brighthoof softly nodded in thanks.

The rest of the conversation diverted to other matters. They were interrupted once by one of the Ruby Guard, who came in carrying scrolls that were copies of a formal complaint. Not that such a thing would matter. Posturing aside, there was little Storm Breeze or his cronies could do, since Twilight’s authority encompassed any and all who held friendship in their hearts. Beauty regaled both the princesses (one who was still disguising herself as the pegasus she used to be for some reason) with stories of all the trouble Belle got into, both before they were all sealed, and more recently.

“Oh, you should have seen that colt. He had all of that Crystal Berry jam all over him,” Beauty was saying. “I was in bits thinking he was going to raise a stink. All he did was lick one of his wings, gave the fillies a smile and thanks, and went to get cleaned up. He’s so much different than his father. I had to put that miserable excuse for a stallion in his place though.” Frowning, she drummed her hooves on the table. “Belle had admitted her part in the prank, but he had the audacity to call her out as the ringleader, when it wasn’t her idea. It didn’t help that she took all the blame, and I was not pleased at all that she did that.” She grinned maliciously. “When Breeze decided that the three needed to go to the stocks- never mind that four other foals had done worse not three days prior -would you believe that the local Guard commander refused? He said that it was more on the grounds of community service, and then only if charges were pressed. Breeze wanted to, but Stormcaster refused.” Beauty chuckled. “He said it made him smile, and that the jam was quite tasty.”

All of them laughed at the scene. Radiant Belle had always been a hoofful, and was mostly to blame for the pranks. They were all in harmless fun from those fillies, unlike some of the ones those older colts perpetuated. Letting loose the axles of a cart full of Crystal Berry Cider was NOT funny in any way, no matter who your father was.

Brighthoof noticed that Princess Rainbow seemed to find the pranks to be particularly hilarious. Seeing her laugh at the antics that Belle got into brought a glow to his heart. Noticing the meaningful glance that Twilight sent her, Brighthoof wondered whether she was a prankster. His curiosity was sated by the next statement that the other princess made. “Well, I don’t know whether to chuckle or shake my head. She sounds like another Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash. Faust help me, I hope she’s just another Rainbow.” Twilight shuddered.

Rainbow blanched. “Yeah, I kinda think that Equestria has enough chaos with Pinkie and Discord; we don’t need any more beyond that.” She grinned, remembering some of the pranks she had pulled in the past. “I’m kinda looking to compare notes though. Jam isn’t something I’ve used. Was that her idea?” she asked Beauty. Beauty shook her head.

“Targeting Stormcaster was. Her friend was the one who came up with the idea of the jam. And believe me, her mother was not pleased. Especially when we all found out that it wasn’t all just for fun. The other two were hoping that Breeze would get caught in it.” Beauty frowned. “I have to say, I am kinda proud of Belle though. She was the one that got Stormcaster to come through the door when he did. She’s smart enough to know that revenge for past faults isn’t just, no matter how small it may seem.”

Twilight frowned at Rainbow. “Rainbow Dash, I hope you’re not going to encourage those fillies to make more pranks.” Looking sternly at her partner, Twilight continued. “These ponies have enough issues as it is without pranks, no matter how justified.” Twilight held her gaze until Rainbow nodded meekly. Beauty and Dawn looked at each other, smirking. To those who could see the signs, the relationship between the two princesses was plain as day.


Crystal Empire, 06-03-05 A.N.M. , After Sundown(After Nightmare Moon)


That evening, Brighthoof led his family in the Prayer of Blessing, as he had every night since they were free. As usual, this was hard on his daughter, since her husband wasn’t present here to share in the rights, having traveled to the border between Equestria and the Empire to facilitate the move they would all soon have to make.

The Prayer of Blessing was important to all Crystal Ponies. It solidified their bond with both the Aurora, and the Crystal Heart. Those ponies that lived near the heart were convinced that their light and love was what powered the heart, and that the Prayer was unneeded. However, for those that were devotees, they knew the truth. The Prayer itself was what had connected the Heart to all of them, turning what had originally been intended as the core of a weapon into a vector to spread the Aurora over all Equestria.

Keeping all of these thoughts in his mind, Brighthoof intoned the words of the Prayer. It made him both sad, yet happy, that his daughter and granddaughter were able to join him here, though he did wish that he could retire as head of his family. Beauty made such a better lead, and she was well balanced out by her husband, one of the few Crystal Pegasus that rebelled directly against Sombra. Ending the invocation. Brighthoof said goodnight to all present, then turned to the quarters he shared with his wife.

As he fell asleep, he felt the presence of Serenity enter his mind and dreams once more…

Light- of all shades -surrounded him. Looking around, Brighthoof realized he wasn’t alone. All of the devotees were present, including the young foals. This was more than unusual, as foals were typically brought in separate from adults. Serenity did so because there were things not meant for young ears to hear.

Brighthoof continued to look at the gathering of ponies around him, smiling in gratitude. Of all the things in his life that had happened, being part of this community was the greatest blessing he had ever been given. It was a sure sign that the Light had forgiven him for his involvement with Sombra, and Sombra’s Master. Feeling a presence he turned, only to see the most beautiful creature he had ever seen join them.

Princess Rainbow Dash smiled, a mischievous twinkle in her eye. Here- in the Light itself -her full form could be seen. She was taller than he expected, though nowhere near the height of the other princesses. Her mane was longer than expected, and sparkled with all the colors of the Rainbow. He noticed that her cutie mark was different as well; a shield was present, with the thunderbolt superimposed on top. He had the sense that even now, it was unfinished; something inside him told him that the destiny she was now following had yet to be fulfilled.

Princess Rainbow Dash looked at all of the Faithful that were gathered around her. A small smile graced her muzzle as she saw all the little foals present, Radiant Belle among them. Once all had been gathered, the princess began to speak. “There are a few of you here that probably saw me arrive with my partner, Princess Twilight Sparkle,” she said softly. “I would ask that you keep my identity a secret, though I don’t think that’s necessary.” Her smile grew. “This is not the reason you were all called here, though.”

Rainbow motioned for the foals to follow her as she walked closer to Brighthoof. “Serenity has made it clear to me that both Lord Brighthoof and the young Lady Radiant Belle are among the two most faithful.” She smiled as she looked at the stallion standing before her. “Some may think that he still must pay reparation for Sombra’s actions, and in truth he does.” She turned as some of the ponies gathered gasped at this statement. With a mischievous twinkle in her eye, Rainbow continued.

“In three days time, Princess Twilight and I will have returned to Ponyville. I have already sent word to the Ruby Guard- through the Priests of the Faithful at the Palace -that the Crystal Council is to be detained. I am naming Lord Brighthoof as Chancellor of the Crystal Council, to take place at that time.” Rainbow scowled darkly before continuing. “The present council has made it clear that they hold no respect for that which made them what they are,” she growled. “Therefore- at that time -they will cease to be Crystal Ponies whether made or born.” She looked sad at that; all present could feel the sadness that Serenity exuded as well.

Sighing, the princess went on. “I know that many of you might think that this is too harsh, especially to the children of those that have rejected Serenity’s Blessing. Be at ease; only those that are involved directly with the Council will suffer this. It is they who wish to uphold the Usurper’s Laws.” She then smiled. “The children here are precious, for it is they that will help the newly born into the Faith. By their example, they will lead the Faithful on the path of Light itself.” Her expression turned stern. “I want it understood that in no way is my position usurping the placement of Mi Amore Cadenza as the Crystal Princess. She was born to that role, and I’m not here to take her place.” As the Light faded around them, the princess spoke the words many had waited an eternity to hear; ”May the Light of the Aurora Guide Us All, and let the Blessing of Serenity provide Us Peace Everlasting.” With this, all present descended into true sleep, to await the dawn’s light.


Crystal Empire, 06-04-05 A.N.M. , 10:39 A.M.(After Nightmare Moon)


The next morning, Twilight and Rainbow Dash were at least refreshed as they made their way out of the Crystal Unicorn settlement. Mayor Dawn has seen fit to provide a carriage to take them the rest of the way, with a pair of Ruby Guard to expedite their passage. “Otherwise, you’ll just have more problems with other lackeys of the Crystal Council,” she said when Rainbow made to object. Rainbow had suggested that they fly, but she squashed that idea as soon as she saw the frown on her marefriend’s face.

During the ride, Twilight took the opportunity presented to go over some of the documentation concerning the impending eviction of the Faithful by the Crystal Council. As she did so, her expression became more and more irritated, until she threw the scroll she was reading down in a huff.

“What’s the matter Twi?” Rainbow asked her.

“Oh, I’m just irritated that these so-called Council-ponies would think that either Celestia or Luna would agree to this-this eviction. Especially since laws forbidding worship are against Equestria’s Code.”

Rainbow looked concerned at this. “Um, Twi, this isn’t Equestria. Unless I get involved personally, the Council DOES have this right.” She turned to point her hoof out the carriage window. “See that pillar there? The Council possesses spells that will banish any and all undesirables away.” She looked sad. “The only reason these weren’t in place around the Crystal Palace was because they weren’t needed so close to the Heart.”

Twilight looked shocked at this development. “Rainbow, the Crystal Empire was made part of Equestria when my brother and Cadance became their rulers. They wouldn’t be able to continue to function without Celestia or Luna’s authority.”

Rainbow shook her head at that. “It doesn’t matter Twi. The Crystal Empire predates Discord by 350 years. Why do you think Celly and Lulu had to send a representative in the first place when the last King died? The barrier repulsed the both of them. Rather harshly too, from what Serenity tells me.”

Twilight frowned at Rainbow. “Celly and Lulu?” she asked delicately.

Rainbow looked abashed at that. “Well, that’s what Solaris, Selene, and Serenity call them. Guess all celestial entities have pet names for ponies they’ve known for millennia.” She grinned. “I kinda like Selene’s pet name for you: Twinkle!”

Twilight moaned, facehoofing at that. Rainbow chuckled, knowing that Serenity was amused at her marefriend’s reaction.

The trail outside of the carriage was populated by nearly endless fields of Crystal Berry groves. Here and there, there were fields of green grass, where the tiny sheep that Crystal Ponies loved to keep as pets grazed contentedly. Rainbow smiled at all of this. Everything here was a testament to what the ancestors of these ponies had been hoping to create when they first called out to the Light. No matter what else happened, Rainbow was glad that at least this much good had come from her accepting a role she did not at all think she was cut out for.


Later that morning, the trail outside began change as it grew closer to the barrier surrounding the Crystal Palace. This was the area that many Equestrians believed made up the Crystal Empire in its entirety; few knew, however, that it denoted only a fraction of the territory held by the empire. In fact, nearly all of the land to the north of Manehattan and Trottingham, all the way to the Everfree Mountain range, was part of the empire. All save for the forests north of Trottingham itself were exempt; the border between the two nations started at the mesa on the other side of the Windswept Pines, as they were referred to.

All of these things passed through Twilight’s mind as she took a break from reading the distressing documents that the Crystal Unicorns had provided. None of this makes any sense. Just how much knowledge did we lose because of Starswirl’s actions? Thinking back on the geography lessons that she had received while a student at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, Twilight couldn’t help but chuckle.

“What’s funny Twi?” Rainbow asked her.

Twilight pointed a hoof at the approaching barrier, then at the mesa they were leaving. “Oh, just thinking about what my stuffy geography professor at Celestia’s school would say about all of this.” Giggling, Twilight leaned towards Rainbow as she elaborated. “I distinctly remember him saying that ‘the unclaimed lands to the north’ would never make a vital contribution to anypony. I always thought that he only said that because the territory is half again the size of Equestria proper, unless we include the desert past the Badlands.” She snorted at such an idea; nopony in the academic community was ever willing to admit that the Badlands were a part of Equestria.

Rainbow giggled at this. “What’s funny?” Twilight asked her.

“Oh, nothing,” Rainbow said mischievously.

“Rainbow, you have that look in your eye,” Twilight said with a mock-stern glare. “Care to share?”

Rainbow looked at her in amusement. “It’s just the idea of you calling a professor ‘stuffy’. It reminded me of ‘The History of the Wonderbolts’ lessons you tried to give me awhile back.” Chuckling, Rainbow continued. “It stands to reason that history and geography lessons are by their nature, ‘stuffy’.”

Twilight turned her nose up at this. “Well, it’s not my fault that a certain pegasus can’t appreciate a proper lecture,” she said with a false haughty tone. “And here I did everything I could to help you out. I at least made my lecture more engaging than the ones I had to sit through.” Huffing in mock effrontery, Twilight continued her mock lecture. “Some of the ones I sat through as a filly could have put a rock to sleep.” She then turned her head to the side with an indignant “Humph!!”, only to burst out in laughter at the expression on Rainbow’s muzzle. The humor between the two mares occupied the rest of the journey to the palace.


Crystal Empire, 06-04-05 A.N.M., 3:22 P.M. (After Nightmare Moon)


Walking- or flying, as she was apt to normally do -around the Crystal City had always given Rainbow Dash a sense of wonder, though she was always careful to hide it. The ponies here had always shown a great deal of gratitude to the Elements of Harmony, though Spike was held in greater esteem. Now however, Rainbow Felt more than that; an undercurrent of tension that she never knew existed. The posters on the walls, denoting the contested ban on Aurora worship being torn down only alluded to the pressure she was feeling. Further, the overt presence of the Ruby Guard- and the detachment of Sun and Lunar Guard present -only served to underscore the tension. Rainbow knew that things were soon to come to a head, until all of the ghosts left over from Sombra’s reign were at last exorcised.

For Twilight, all the Guards-ponies walking around made her feel that she had somehow descended into the Lower Canterlot Quarter, which had its share of thugs and ne’er-do-wells. While the enlightened reign of the Diarchy meant that crime was lower in Equestria than in other kingdoms, there were still some ponies that refused to accept the tenets of Harmony. While rare, crimes such as rape and murder did happen though the numbers were mercifully low. The - some felt overkill -punishment of forced sterilization for repeat racists and petrification for murderers kept those numbers low. Twilight avoided had avoided Lower Canterlot however, as crimes such as mugging, larceny, and vandalism were far more common. Seeing Guards out like this made her feel oppressed, even as a princess.

Further musings were brought short as they made their way to the palace itself. Once they presented themselves before the Ruby Guard, they were admitted into the main audience chamber. Here, both Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Prince Shining Armor were in attendance. They were currently in conference with two stern-looking Crystal Ponies, who were flanked by members of all three Guards companies. Cadance- as she preferred ponies to call her -was speaking in a stern tone of voice to the taller of the two, a stallion who bore a strong resemblance to the former Prince Blueblood.

“Councilor Ironhoof, your justification in these orders are not only illegal by current Equestrian standards, but are untenable by the Crystal Ponies themselves.” Seeing his haughty expression, she made a further comment. “I have it on vital authority that you will have civil war if you and yours declare a vote of No Confidence in either myself or Prince Shining Armor. As a Princess of Equestria, I have full authority to cast spells upon this palace- as well as the Royal Archives -that will repel all magic save that of an Alicorn. I suggest you accept what the Priesthood has claimed, unless you want this illustrious nation of ours to be occupied by hostile Equestrian forces, rather than unhappy ones.” Waving to the Guards-ponies, Cadance dismissed Ironhoof and his crony from her presence before turning to Twilight and Rainbow Dash.

With a serene expression on her muzzle, Cadance approached the pair, Shining next to her. All of them bowed in unison, though it didn’t last. Seeing the expression on Twilight’s face, Cadance proceeded to launch in the customary greeting between the two:

”Sunshine, Sunshine,
Ladybugs awake,
clap your hooves,
and do a little shake!!”

Giggling, the two princess hugged each other, as Shining and Rainbow shared an amused glance.

Twilight then turned to her brother for a hug. “Hi, BBBFF!! It’s been awhile!!” she exclaimed happily.

Shining took a look at his little sister, who was taller than she had been even half a year ago. “Hi Twily! How’s my LSBFF been?” Turning to Rainbow Dash, he continued. “When we heard the news of the adventure that you both went on, we were shocked. I thought it wasn’t terribly smart for Princess Celestia to send you both without your friends.” Twilight frowned at this; criticism of either Princess was something that she had difficulty accepting, despite her own misgivings with certain secrets that Celestia had been keeping. Seeing this, Shining looked into his little sister’s eyes. “Hey, I know you don’t like it when somepony says anything against Princess Celestia. She even admitted that it was risky for you two to go alone.”

Continuing to frown, Twilight pondered what Shining was trying to say. “What did Celestia tell you?” she asked her brother.

Cadance answered. “Not a whole lot Twilight; only that there was a mission that only you were able to complete. One that involved Rainbow Dash, but none of your other friends.” Seeing the crestfallen look on Twilight’s face, Cadance made to hug her sister-in-law again. “Twilight, you know that Auntie Celestia has never admitted to being infallible. She herself was concerned that she had to send the two of you on such a mission with very little to go on.”

Rainbow coughed sheepishly at that. “Well, I might have had something to do with that. I was having problems with my pegasus magic, and Twilight was helping me with that. I got involved with that whole mess with Blueblood, the result of which made me one of the only ones who could help Twilight.”

Shining looked concerned at these developments. “Is there any chance that either of you can give us a full run down? There are ponies here that want to know, and I can’t keep on fobbing off answering them.”

Rainbow frowned in thought. “Um, outside of a few personal details, there’s not much I can say until our journey ends where it started.” Seeing the confused looks on the two royal ponies’ muzzles, she elaborated what she could. “Um, well, from what we learned, what has happened with the rest of the Crystal Empire right now is only temporary. All either of us can say to this is what I was told near the end of our adventure; that ‘all cannot be revealed until the winged one of Friendship returns to the place where she first learned of it, else all will return to what it was before.’ Believe me, I’d rather I could tell you what you want to know. I may not be like AJ in that I can keep a secret, but this secret is just too UNCOMFORTABLE to keep like this.” Seeing the other two royals were confused, Twilight made to clarify.

“Rainbow is right on this, and from what I’ve been able to learn, we’d be remiss if we didn’t follow the directions we’ve been given.” She smirked at this statement. “After all, he’s seldom steered anypony wrong, so we’re better off this way.” Seeing the looks of the other two turn from confusion to understanding, all ponies present said three words in unison:

“Starswirl the Bearded.”

Clapping her hooves, Cadance summoned a certain pegasus Guards-pony from his post on the other side of the door leading to the throne room. “Flash, let the wait-ponies know that we’ll be taking an early dinner.” While she said this, a certain glow that had went mostly unnoticed flared briefly, yet intensely. Rainbow, attuned to the spectrum of Light as she was, noticed this.

Looking closer, she saw a pulse of undefined power centered around the princess. Curiously, it seemed to be a mixture of both Cadance and Shining’s auras, yet was new at the same time. Stifling a gasp, Rainbow realized what it was. And here Twilight was worried that her parents wouldn’t get the chance to celebrate grandfoals! I wonder if Shining knows, or if he’s aware of what this means.

Rainbow was the only pony to see a certain Cheshire-cat-like grin that Cadance sent her way. Gulping, Rainbow Dash realized the futility of trying to hide strong feelings of love from the Alicorn of Love herself. I’m really going to get it at the meal; I just hope Shining’s ready for this.


A few minutes later, the assembled royals (one who continued to act as if she wasn’t, much to her increasing discomfort) were making inroads of the delectable salads that were provided. Twilight was regaling her sister-in-law about some of the things that she had learned in the time they spent in the new settlement. Rainbow, for her part, was starting to get both bored and itchy. Not only did she want time to be able to fly, but it was becoming increasingly difficult for her to keep her alicorn nature suppressed. Swallowing, Rainbow was about to interrupt her lover, when a sense of calm descended over her. Mentally facehoofing, she remembered that Serenity would always help her whenever things got too difficult for her to handle.

Twilight was about to launch into another tale, only to stop when her brother cleared his throat loudly. “Well, Cadance, don’t you think it’s time we told her? I’d kinda not want to repeat the same mistake I made during our wedding.” Cadance looked abashed at this. Seeing the confused look on Twilight’s face, she decided that discretion was not the best course here.

Letting loose a put-upon sigh, Cadance nodded. “You’re right Shiny. Much as I’d like all parties to be present before giving this news.” She smiled. “Twilight, how do you feel about being an aunt?”

The next words that Twilight uttered were heard all the way to Canterlot Castle; fortunately, the Lord and Lady of House Armor were in Prance on business.

“You’re pregnant?!”

Elsewhere on Equus…

Her ears ringing, Princess Luna turned to her elder sister. “Your wisdom in sending Lord Night Light and Lady Twilight Velvet to Prance was meet, dear sister. Else, they would have been alerted prematurely.”

Princess Celestia sighed at that. “Let’s just hope she calms down before even more of the beans get spilled.”

“Yes Twilight, but please calm down!!” Cadance uttered frantically. “We’ve been trying to keep it quiet, but you yelling like Auntie Lulu isn’t helping.”

Twilight looked abashed at that. Her expression changed in a few moments however, to one of concern. “Um, this shouldn’t be possible, unless…” Twilight muttered, before taking a closer look at her brother. Rainbow Felt the aura of a deep scan spell radiate from Twilight, before she nodded in confirmation. “Well, this confirms what we were told.” Seeing the confused look on her brothers’ face, Twilight elaborated.

“Not much is known about us alicorns. No matter how many times have been tried in the past, all have been found to be sterile.”

Shining looked down at this. Sighing, he nodded. “I was afraid of this. We think the change will take place once the foals are born.”

Twilight saw the confused look on Rainbow’s face. “Until now, all alicorns in Equus’ history were either like myself, ascended unicorns,” she pointed at her sister-in-law, “pegacorns, or winged unicorns that ascended to a higher plane. And most of those had pegasus roots for years before their horn came in.” Grinning madly, Twilight went on. “For Shining to be able to impregnate his wife, he would have to have been either ten times as strong as Starswirl himself,”- here she smiled bashfully, as she was far stronger than her brother -“or is on the path of Ascension.” She got up to hug her brother.

Sitting back down, Twilight made to finish her salad. Rainbow, who up until now had been secretly dreading this, looked at Cadance. Said pink princess was starting to grin that horseapple-eating grin that meant that she was about to let loose some juicy tidbit. Previously, Rainbow had only seen that same grin on Rarity’s muzzle-- and then only after finishing up her latest romance novel.

“Twily, is there something you’re forgetting?” Cadance asked her sister-in-law as the main course was brought in. “Didn’t Rainbow Dash say that there were some personal things that you two could divulge?”

Twilight gulped nervously. Turning to Rainbow for help, her expression turned beseeching. All she got from her partner, however, was a shake of the head; she knew it was useless to try and hide it. Gulping again, Twilight prepared to pay the piper. Oh, I’m never going to hear the end of this…

“Well, a lot went down between Rainbow Dash and I on our journey,” she said in a low, soft voice. “Most of it is something that we can’t share with anypony until we get home.” She swallowed gamely. “However, there is one thing we can. Rainbow and I… that is... we’re...um,” here she continued to falter.

Rainbow decided to help out her marefriend. “What Twilight is trying to say is that we’re together, as a couple.”

At this, there was a thump on the table where Shining was sitting. “Well Twilight, not only does Auntie Lulu owe me five hundred bits,” Cadance said with a smirk, “but I think you just broke your brother.”


Author's Note:

Babies!!

And yes, I know; Shining Armor becoming an alicorn has been done before. So what?? I and my muse have our reasons, and I'm sure those of you that don't like what may be seen as an overused plot point won't agree with them. Moving on...

Anyway, that was the big surprise I promised. So I disappointed those who were looking for a break-up or something of the sort. Not writing a sad fic, so there won't be any of that here. I got my inspiration for making Shining an alicorn from Within The Seas of The Galaxies by Soothing Stone, which happens to be one of my Top 25 favorite Twiluna fics. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do so.

For the full detail on updates on this fic, read the update blog. Any major changes I make, outside of minor editing, will be found there.

June 24th: Made a minor plot change towards the end of the chapter. Not much of a difference, just a fix to a hole between this fic and LRSF, the parallel/prequel fic to this one.

Nov. 17th: Adjusted one of the scenes earlier in the fic. Later chapters had stated that Chrysalis was dead. This is true, and I plan on writing a fic that deals with that battle. It takes place only a couple of months after Tirek's attack.

Don't look for it for awhile though, as I won't be working on very many side fics until my two major ones are finished.