• Published 22nd Jun 2015
  • 499 Views, 0 Comments

Living the Epilogue - Juku



As one story comes to an end, another beckons to begin. But as it is said only through an understanding can one come to terms with an choice, neither can something truly begin under the weight of an ending still struggling to decide how.

  • ...
7
 0
 499

Chapter One: We were never here to save the world

Lush. Clean. Clasped in blue high above and over much even below. It's people, strong in the billions, pushed into an new age of wonder and understanding of both themselves and all that lay around them. Resolved to an more technical marvel, they would push the boundaries to the edge many times over in their pursuit of an never ending curiosity. Prone to mistakes, and even more so to repeat but a few, all came together the day the answer to the question of their solidarity left them with just enough to still do so.

Through their ingenuity fueled by desperation, and costly reverse engineering, they would in turn reverse course as the technological could no longer march alone. Some called it faith, an act of their supposed god to their plight to aid them, while others simply came to call it something akin to the once imagined but never considered; magic. Held back by fumbles and lack of understanding with that which their nearly invincible enemies so easily wielded, they would be forced underground and towards closer quarters to survive.

Age old practices, some of foolishness while others progressive, resurfaced and reinvented into something modern. With the help of technological and spiritual augmentations, men and women adorned both inside and out finally began to hold their ground against the invasion of demonic like creatures. But one would need not look any further than the droves of mindless abominations serving as the forefront of the demonic invasion for the double edge, as each and every one once stood and fell on the side of man across the struggle three decades strong.

But the day finally came when push came to shove, only to fall forward on it's face. The demons were, for better or worse, dwindling through no real understanding of those whom they so easily hunted. But it is said only through an understanding can one come to terms with an choice, and of whose numbers once numbered in the billions to but a few million at best, the choice would simply be to rejoice.


"So that's it? We're just going to stand here and raise our hands in the air?" The man smashes his maces together near the end to grab even more attention, their damaged heads no worse for wear when all said and done. "Did I say something funny?!"

The man's scaled breastplate shimmers from the bright blue vortex still swirling just before, letting his hands grip the handles even tighter as flashes precede each shift towards that of smaller diameter. Growling out an curse, he slams his foot to stop his twirl towards the many just behind. Beaten, tired, and few in number does little to liberate the tension of one's declaration for even more.

"It's over, Seeker." Another, much to the hesitant clamoring of those farther behind, makes approach. "It isn't fair to them."

"Fair?" The Seeker takes half a step forth to the full one taken back, "Fair? Since when has anything from this been fair? You know the reports as well as I. They're not retreating, nor are they regrouping. They're just moving on to the next to do the same as here!"

"But it's not our fight! What would you have us do? Rush in after them to our assured deaths that none would even acknowledge?" The other man attempts once more to make reason, his hands open palm's up to further encourage. Unable to convey expression from under metallic cover, he can only keep his hands open to the ever disgruntled grumbling and head shaking displayed before him. "We have our own to deal with now."

"And maybe we wouldn't had something came and warned us." The seeker's helmet creaks and grinds to it's rigid and slow rise, "Right now those things are making incursion elsewhere who may have no hope to adapt in time. But they might if we give them what we were not!"

"That's not why you're going." An voice off to the side begins in solitude, "We know about your kind, Seeker."

Given bolster from the growing ensemble of further encouragement, the man points an finger as he begins to walk before something almost as tall but even wider impedes him in life ending threat. Reduced to an living statue for but a few deathly seconds, he finally falls backwards before flipping onto his hands and knees in order to crawl away in utter fright. With the once turbulent battlefield ushered back to silence, the behemoth of an man in smooth edged plate continues to hold his tower shield as the purple electricity continues to snap and cackle off it's front face.

"Brother." Seeker gives the new arrival his full attention, "I am glad to have you." Reserved to remain in an more relaxed posture, weapons still drawn, even as taller and fuller armored comes up towards him with not an word, opting to stand shoulder to shoulder.

"You shouldn't of tried to guilt them." The well armored man's words are deep but thoughtful.

"I shouldn't of needed to." The Seeker returns one of higher pitched annoyance.

"Teams have been sent through each of the others before their closing, save for three." The well armored man continues with the same tone of voice as before, "They must have been killed in the battle for this one, too." Before taking an ever long breath, "We've been promoted."

"I have no need for an Title to do what's...!" Seeker shutters his words to the glow of violet liquid swirling within an large cylinder revealed in the rising hand of his brother, "...the hell is that?"

"Life support." The brother casually elaborates, his hand twisting up to down in order to place it in the Seeker's now extended palm, "It was originally meant for something far more drastic than this, and there was only enough supply to make due for what now shall be."

"What's it going to do...?" Seeker asks in an much softer tone, seemingly oblivious to the the receding presence of one who now travels towards the men and women of different caste, keeping their distance still. "You did something to it, didn't you!"

The brother, giving hearty chuckles to the theatrics of one so eager to follow in pursuit to his very possible death showing such reservation, continues his trek towards the closest whom continues to hold his ground. Flipping his tower shield upside down, he lops it over his shoulder to the distinct clank of latching in order to further garner the atmosphere to his intended favor.

"You shouldn't fear your allies, soldier." He uses his softer voice, but still deep in tone, to help convey what his eyes cannot.

"We're just tired, Guardian." The soldier uses once more the caste before that of unknown personal name in address. "The Seeker may thirst for more, but we're just tired. Of all of this. Why should we feel bad about wanting to just go back to whats left of our homes!"

"Because you've suffered, and only those here can understand what it truly means to say such words. He only sought to rile the good inside you, and while he may have succeeded, it is not your place to bear nor of his to ask. But do not think ill of him, for he doesn't of you."

"He basically called us cowards!"

"He sought to motivate through angering you, because he knew you we're capable of answering the call." Guardian pounds his open palm onto his left breastplate, "He only reminded that you still had one of these."

"That would've sounded pretty awesome if we were twelve, dumbass!"

"Well... I.. I guess that makes sense..." The man gives a few subtle nods of his head, followed by most of his peers all about, to the otherwise heartfelt words from an caste known for their seriousness both on and off the battlefield. "But what.. would you have us do, then?"

Guardian just lets his arm slowly fall back down to his side, granting his audience but a few brief moments to ponder both what has been asked, and what may yet be. Much to their dismay, Guardian merely turns about and begins to walk back towards the awaiting Seeker, whom if any could see wears the same expression of confusion towards actions taken. He finally comes side by side to the Seeker, no words to be given, before turning backwards the several dozen men and women still awaiting their orders.

"I like that." He finally speaks, of his soft tone now filled with something even lighter than before. "Always wanted to paint something I could be proud of. Tried using myself but didn't get very far!" Nudging Seeker who nary whispers an sound, "But I like think that'll work, just fine."

"You're such an god damn idiot..." Seeker grumbles before taking stride in the wake of his brother, whom already leads the way to just before the nearly collapsed portal. "Still glad to have you, nevertheless."

"Likewise, brother." Guardian states both in words and of his long arm holding onto the encased bicep of Seeker, careful not to let go as they are slowly enveloped by the licking strands of energy. Blinded to the vibrant foray of colors and flashes turned painful white, he only grips tighter while attempting to shield above his visor with the other, the hairs in his ears vibrating to the echoing rumble slowly overtaking them.

With but another flash and almost instant rumble, Guardian lingers in his grip for but a few moments as the subtle sound of hundreds of objects pelting his armor comes to the forefront of realization. Forced into letting his visage scan frustratingly slow, he finally releases his grip as Seeker moves up and past. Doing much the same as his brother, but instead towards ground below, Seeker opts to take an deep breath with the light shake of his head.

"You knew, didn't you."

Guardian moves forward and then a bit up before stopping once more. "We have some time before it's decided."

Seeker slowly raises his chin to lay hidden eyes towards Guardian, as if to remain in silent vigil for an answer while ignoring the ever encroach of water rising past his ankles. When nothing but the rumble and pelting droplets of rain ensues, he begins to lower it once more.

"We were never here to save the world, brother." He reaches his arm back to behind, taking grip before jerking loose that which has stood by his side like no other. Bringing it out and about, the towering cast of metal that carries as many scars as it's user swivels to and fro before finally locking into a matching orientation alongside his forearm just as the distant screaming finally begins to bleed through.

"You..." He lets his words linger, having given no reaction to the rush of air encircling him as not even the flash above can catch what has already past through the thick undergrowth. Casting aside the way forward, he shifts his right foot back and about in order to look back upon what has already been so casually left behind. Taking in what slowly continues to fill with water, he can do little but give an consideration to the sounds behind him.

...still can't understand that we had to leave, can you.

Of yet an ever increasing downpour, much to the ever increasing pace towards the nearing cry of terror, done who needn't anything more in order to act reaches down to swing loose those that have stood by his side like no other. As if to bare their claws, jagged glass like shards of bristling violet begin to spit vapor as they rip from the heads of each mace, hissing in kind upon each droplet of rain.

But I guess that's also why I thought you deserved a chance to prove me wrong.

As if blinded to what he sees through the vast darkness on his approach, his shoulder clips the side of a tree much to the shattering of bark and trunk as his arm and then mace drags along the side to the violent meet of violet static discharge. Taking notice to the sudden attention given his way by that which burns both vision and blood, he crouches down into an turning slide just as his right mace flies forth with deadly accuracy.

I do not know whom we may find. But surely, given that we're here, they cannot be so unlike that which we've just left behind.

Taking advantage of the newly created passage through thick undergrowth, he rushes to meet head on another of even greater stature. Letting only the very tip of the metal tearing claws graze his helmet, he lets both hands clasp the hilt of his only mace as the jagged glass cleaves into the heavy forward momentum of an passing giant. Never one to pass up an offering, he releases one hand in order to grab the long forearm on the tumbling giant, kicking himself up and pulling in as the mace swings up and down all the way to the ground.

Did you seek redemption? Perhaps, that if you burn yourself once more in the fire, someone might actually try and pull you out?

Of an four legged scaled monstrosity, it's gaping maw ready to envelope that which now lay upon the wet muddy ground clamped into a ball, does the hardened ball of metal shatter many a sharp tooth. Sent to the ground in a rage inducing tumble, the four legged creature thrashes about with tooth and claw, whipping it's similarly maxed tail as it connects with several unfortunate timber. Standing between it and it's prey, the smooth end of the mace shoots forth straight down past the serrated, slowed only by the screech of tearing metal to just below the shoulder.

But they will only know you from the ones you failed to save.

Opening his own mouth with a shout, the gagged maw of the scaled quadruped begins to convulse and shake as violet highlighted smoke begins to flick and lick up the mostly swallowed arm, the nostril cringing smell of burnt waste filling the air. With a whimpered cry, the beast pulls back with all it's pain riddled might to the sudden crackling eruption serving to end it's futility. Holding his arm straight and narrow while what's left separates in two while sliding off onto the ground, his nostrils flare to the sudden in take of duller senses once more brought into focus.

His eyes slowly drift about, taking in the lighter hue of a darkness adapted to, as he finally takes hold of his thrown mace still planted inside winged creature and tree. Moving to make casual retrieve, he no sooner takes hold of the hilt before the realization of something far too normal fills his ears once more. Acting almost surprised, he turns his head towards what his instincts never sought to know with his mace finally broken free.

Nestled inside an hollowed tree trunk, extended in appendage with an flattened end pointed his way, was an creature still screaming. It's other upper appendage, seeking to seemingly hide something of an different shade in the lighter darkness, quivers and shakes even as the stilled figure of an even larger one still lays partially entombed in the trunk as if you try and deny entry. It's fur, top to bottom, matted and uprooted.

"...and we shall become legends, once more." Guardian mutters to himself in an overly melodramatic low tone, just as his emergence from the dense undergrowth is entirely unnoticed in comparison to the stilled destruction basked in rising lunar glow before him. "All of them?"

"I found the girl!" Seeker yells, knelt in front of those still entombed in the hollowed trunk, careful to keep his distance nonetheless. Giving Guardian a quick look, whom still only stares under concealment in return, before grumbling himself. "Could you come a little closer?"

Taking a short but painfully slow journey, as if crossing a long rugged battlefield, Guardian seems to purposely give extra weight to each step as his bulky shield turned weapon continues to shift back and forth between the horizontal and vertical. Just he comes to the crest of the short incline, coming to an stop just before the still knelt Seeker, he seems to purposely leave the root of his agitation wedged in his throat.

"I think they got one." Seeker nods his head towards the trunk, of deathly silence, still shivering uncontrollably from within. Starting to give rise, he instead is forced to duck under the sudden rush of metal falling but a mere inch before his face into the ground below. Blinded for but an moment, and letting his nerves get the best of him, he shoots up just as the last begins to fall down. "What are you...!"

Guardian, seemingly unfazed by the seeping dark liquid that once stood as his outer shell, finds kneeling before the frightened and dying harder than the stretch of denim jeans or ripped cotton flannel. His brown hair, mattered and oiled, reflect just enough along with his light green eyes to give the creature inside ample view of what once was concealed under an most frightening display.

"Feels about right." He softly states in a sigh, seemingly oblivious or of no care to the stares of confusion and fright from back and front. Slowly, but steadily, he reaches but one hand forward to just within the opening of the tree, as if to entice the expectation of an pressured clamp. Acting like he couldn't even be bothered by the act of desperation, he instead applies gradual pressure until he gently slides free. Watching as the creature seems to dip what appears to be a short muzzle down towards what it still attempts to conceal, it hunches forward with eyes tightly shut.

His hand now gently laid upon the top of the creatures head, of no childish rustle or force to be had or felt, aside from the light pressure now resting upon his own shoulder from behind free of the same bindings like himself. Turning his head but an few inches in order to catch Seeker in his peripheral, he only allows for but a moment of acknowledgement to the act before turning his head forward once more.

"Perhaps it is best if we..." Seeker's words drift along the wake of an wayward strong breeze at the renewed reflection of not one, but two pairs of eyes from within the rotting improvised haven. Following their downward gaze of ever widening eyes and flicker of long pointy ear, the faint moaning and rustle of fallen would be protector basked in rising red rain brings only further confusion. "You're injured?"

"Never expect a mother protecting her young to take anything less." Guardian continues to lay his uninjured hand upon the still severely injured creature, careful not to move save for slowly retracting his other bloody hand having served it's purpose. "Big eyes, aren't they."

"If it's been infected...."

"Head of hair going down their neck to the shoulder, and then their tail is quite full as well. Did you notice the hooves aren't split?"

"Aren't you listening to me?"

"Given what I felt when I was bitten, I'd definitely error towards saying that's more like a muzzle, than a snout." Guardian continues his vocal observations much to the frustrated growl from behind. "I don't have a damn clue on what to relate it to."

"Does it really matter what it reminds you of from Earth?" Seeker moves around and about in order to stand alongside the injured creature to get a better look, "More will be coming from the noises and if we're noticed then that will only complicate what we need to do."

"Simplify, actually." Needing not to even make eye contact to know if to continue. "Humans make things easier for themselves. They shape the world to fit their needs, and if anything is above them, they bring it down in size or make it their own. There's limitations to what the demons could really do with that, given the circumstances. But maybe the hurdles are not so high here."

"But even if the place does not, the same cannot be said of all creatures that exist there themselves." Seeker continues to fiddle with the lack of proper latches upon more formal wear for such cumbersome weapons, "The demon's limitations are also our own, are they not?"

"Humans are limited by the rules, of which I'd think were pretty strict. If this place is far more relaxed and bendable to the will rather than the way it was on Earth then we may very well find that our worst enemy lays just before us." Taking notice to the shimmer of dissipating rain as the creature begins to stir even more. "The demons will seek to adapt, and these creatures may very well teach them all there is to know."

"I wouldn't of thought such information to cause you such worry, brother." Seeker kneels down, "Are we not in this together?"

"That might depend on what's been watching us since the moon came out." His words, coming just as the reaction of jerking backwards to the sudden wild buck of rear hooves from the third set of wide fearful eyes, takes away earned focus onto what still has yet to make tribute.

Standing rather relaxed, unlike Seeker whom begins to angle down for better footing, Guardian keeps a rather curious expression to the similar in shape but much larger in proportion quadruped watching intently from an not so distant rocky outcropping. With the cast of lunar light from an almost perfectly positioned moon above, the quadruped, more closely in resemblance to an horse, crushes stone with the stomp of it's foreleg.

"<Step away from our subjects, shadows, or we shall have no leniency!>"

"We need to get a move on." Seeker whispers harshly, only to hesitate upon the madness before his eyes. "Brother!"

"You go on." He replies in a tone known all too well by the one to his side, with an exasperated expression slowly forming on Seeker's face. Taking care to step back but a few more feet in order for the smaller creatures to find the courage to make haste towards the way of the larger one, he reaches down in order to relieve the ground of it's impaled weight. "Not going to pass this up."

"<You are mistaken, spirit, to think so little of ourselves.>" The equine creature appears to momentarily focus in on the carnage left Seeker, narrowing the burning white of it's eyes in the process. "<There is no place for you upon this land save Tartarus itself!>"

"Something's off about this one." Seeker takes notice of the long protruding horn and flared wings, masked only by the glow of white emanating from it's eyes with growing intensity. "It's not like you to take such a risk against something you know nothing about!"

"We're both here for different reasons." He gives a sideways glance back as the shield rotates into place alongside the forearm once more, casually raised and straightened towards Seeker with no hesitation in hand or iris. "Don't make me say it again, to a brother."

"<For the murder upon the soils of our home, there can be no pardon. For the attempted ruination of even more you shall find no quarter even at the darkest hour of the night. You are now in the presence of the Princess Luna, and you will yield.>"