• Published 15th May 2015
  • 357 Views, 9 Comments

Love:Reassessed - SeaBreeze173



When young Moon Glow feels her heart pulling her towards her best friend, she has to make some decisions about her life. Meanwhile, her mother, Starry Night, has to deal with the heart ache she's had since her husband's tragic death 10 years ago..

  • ...
 9
 357

Part 3

Part 3 – three years later

During the events of New Town, New Beginnings

“Welcome home, Bolt!” the group of seven ponies cheered in the middle of Sugarcube Corner. Thunder Bolt stood in the doorway of the sweets shop, a wide smile plastered on his face.

“I wasn’t gone that long, was I?” Bolt asked as he strolled into the room.

“No, but we still missed you,” Sweet Heart smiled.

“How was your cousin’s wedding?” Moon asked.

Skye scoffed, “Probably like any other wedding. Moms crying, kids running around.” Stone nodded. “Or if it’s anything like our aunt’s wedding, dogs breaking out of their pens and jumping on tables and eating all the food. Now that was a wedding,”

Bolt shrugged, “It was okay. Never really knew Lily that well, but it was nice spending time with the grandparents. River had fun with her coltfriend,” Bolt growled under his breath at the thought of his older sister’s longtime coltfriend, Flame Warden. He sat down at a table and swiped a cupcake from the platter.

“So, when are you gonna get one?” Red asked suddenly.

“Getp whath?” Bolt glanced at Red, his mouth full of cupcake.

“A marefriend, duh!” Phoenix laughed.

“WHAT!” Bolt coughed, sputtering cupcake all over the table. “What
brought that up all of a sudden?”

“You’re the only one of us without a special somepony,” Sweet Heart said.

“Skye’s still single!”

“That’s because he’s Skye.” Stone deadpanned.

“Hey!” Skye glared.

“Moon and Glacier don’t have special someponies,” Bolt continued.

“They aren’t included,” Sweet Heart said quickly. She leaned down towards Bolt.

“Nixie and I are still trying to get them together,” she whispered. “They just don’t know it yet,”

Bolt huffed and crossed his arms, glaring at his friends. “You guys are horrible.” Bolt wasn’t about to tell them about the grey pegasus mare he met on the train. I wonder if I’ll see her again.

~~~

“Mom, Nona, I’m home!” Moon exclaimed as she trotted into her house. The unicorn was now seventeen years old and had grown into a beautiful young mare. Her two-toned mane hung down over her face in the most attractive fashion, her light grey-blue eyes accented by long eyelashes. She was easily the prettiest filly in Ponyville, even though she always shied away when somepony said so. Even after three years, she still had feelings for her best friend, Glacier. Many times she considered telling him so but just when she began to, Moon would clam up and say something else. She wasn’t even sure if Glacier still liked her as he did three years ago. These days he rarely had time for his friends what with his mother needing him to look after his younger brothers and sister. To Moon, their relationship was beginning to seem hopeless.

“You’re back early, nipote,” Bella Notte smiled. “Did Thunder Bolt arrive home safely?”

“Yes, Nona, he did. We threw him a little party at Sugarcube Corner. It was fun,” Moon followed her grandmother into the kitchen. “Where’s Momma at?” Bella frowned sadly.

“She is up in her room. It’s that time of year again. You know how she is at this time,”

Moon gasped. “Oh, no. I can’t believe I forgot!” The unicorn rushed up stairs and to her mother’s room. It was the ten year anniversary of her father, Constellation’s passing. It come to be that every year on the day of his death, Starry Night would lock herself in her bedroom, not coming out unless she felt it was needed, or Bella forced her to.

Starry and Moon had lived in Ponyville for nine years, moving to the small town a year after Constellation’s death. Through those nine years, Starry never dated another stallion, devoting her time to raising her only daughter and helping her own mother. She tried pushing away Constellation’s memory, but his filly shared so many of his mannerisms Starry could never forget. The horrible memory of learning of her beloved’s death would be forever etched in her mind.

Moon knocked on her mother’s door. “Momma?” She knocked again. “I know you’re in there. Please open up the door,” Moon sighed. “I know you’re hurting. I miss Poppa just as much as you do.” Moon began walking away as the door clicked open. She turned and nudged it open with her hoof. On floor sat the older unicorn mare. Her purple and light blue mane had several silver hairs mixed throughout. Her usually sparkly grey eyes were now red and puffy, tears staining the sapphire blue fur on her face. In front of her lay a scrap book showing pictures of herself, Constellation and Moon.

“He was so young. Still so full of life,” the mare sniffed. Moon slowly walked over to her weeping mother and sat down beside her, gently placing a hoof over her shoulders. Starry flinched at her daughter’s touch. She then leaned into Moon’s hug and wrapped her arms around the teenager. If one were to look in the room, it would seem as Moon was the mother comforting her child.

Moon felt the silent tears of her mother soaking her chest. She felt a few tears leaking through her eyes and quickly wiped them away. Eventually Starry pulled away and wiped her face dry.

“I’m sorry you have to see me like this every year,” Starry sniffed, pushing several loose hairs out of her eyes. Moon hugged her mother once more. “It’s okay, Momma. I know it’s hard for you. You and Poppa were very close, closer than anypony could ever wish to be. I can only hope my future special somepony and I will be half as close as you and Poppa.” Starry smiled through the fresh tears squeaking through her eyes.

“Thanks, sweetie,” Starry said as she and Moon broke the hug. Moon leaned back against the bed and smiled at her mother. Starry smiled back.

“You are so much like your father.”

Moon looked at Starry quizzically. “How?”

“The way your mouth twists sideways when you smile genuinely and how you treat other ponies with kindness and respect. Constellation always tried to help everypony he met. He was never selfish. He was very…real. There were no surprises when it came to your father,” Starry chuckled. “Unless it was my birthday. Then he was all surprises.”

Moon laughed heartily. “Mom, remember on my fifth birthday when Poppa forgot to get the entertainment for my party?”

“Do I ever. It was quite funny watching him be a one pony band. It was even funnier because the poor stallion had no idea how to play any of the instruments,”

Moon and Starry stayed silent for several minutes, reminiscing of times past.

“I miss him,” Moon sighed. Starry nodded, a single tear running down her cheek. “I miss him, too, sweetie. So very much.”

1 month later

“She’s the kindest pony I’ve ever met. She's smart and fun,"

"Pretty?" Red asked.

"Beautiful! Her eyes just look right through you. And her smile?!” Bolt smiled, thinking of the pegasus mare he had been spending the past couple of weeks with. Sweet Heart, Stone Brook, Phoenix, Red, and Glacier listened intently to their friend’s description. Skye was failing at holding back his laughter.

“I think somepony is in loooovvvveeeee,” Sweet Heart giggled.

“I am not! She’s just, um, oh forget it,” Bolt crossed his arms and huffed.

“Hi everypony! What’s up?” Moon smiled as she trotted up to the group.

“Bolt’s just telling us about the “beautiful and kind” pegasus he met on the train a month ago, which is why we have seen neither head nor tail of him since. And it’s totally because he is head over hooves in love with her,” Phoenix smirked.

“Oooh, tell me more!” Moon clapped her hooves together and sat down beside Sweet Heart.

Knowing that he was not getting out of this without telling, Bolt continued. “Her name is Sea Breeze. She just moved here from Vanhoover with her family and her giant dog. Seriously, he is HUGE. And get this; she personally knows Princess Twilight,”

“Everypony knows the Princess, Bolt. She wasn’t always a princess, you know,” Moon pointed out.

“I know, but she and Twilight go way back. They’re fillyhood friends,”

“Now that’s cool,” Phoenix nodded her head.

“Wait until you hear this. Sweet Heart, you read romance novels, right?”

“Yeah. I have a lot of them, but my favorite is The Bitaly Trilogy by Amethyst Rose,”

Moon nodded. “I know that series. Nona has all three. She loves it. She said that reading them was like taking a trip back to her home country. I’ve read them too. They are so sweet.”

“Sea Breeze is Amethyst’s daughter,”

Moon and Heart gaped at Bolt. “No way,”

“You’re pulling our leg,”

“It’s true!” And her father is Bass Tempo! The drummer for The Delegates!” This time the colts gaped at Bolt.

“Okay, we thought you were stretching it with the Amethyst Rose thing, but this? This is nuts!” Skye Racer said.

Bolt shook his head. “Fine, find out for yourselves. Then you can tell me that I was right and you guys were wrong,” Bolt whispered to himself, “As usual.”

“How about you invite her to hang out with us tomorrow?” Sweet Heart said. Bolt shuffled his hooves.

“I don’t know, Sea’s a bit shy. She may not want to,”

“Oh c’mon Bolt. Get her to come! We want to meet the mare that has stolen our pal’s heart,” Stone laughed.

“Fine. But if she doesn’t, I’m not coming either.”

The next afternoon, seven of the eight friends congregated under the large oak tree by the soccer field.

“Bolt sure is taking a while,” Stone said.

“Maybe he had a hard convincing his marefriend to come,” Phoenix giggled.

“They aren’t special someponies, Nixie,” Sweet Heart said. She then grinned mischievously. “At least not yet.”

Red looked up and saw Bolt, with a grey pegasus mare beside him, landing several feet away. “He’s here, guys,”

“Yo, Bolt! Over here!” Stone called. Bolt and the mare trotted to the group, the mare following closely behind him.
“Hey, guys. I’d like for you all to meet Sea Breeze,”

“Uh, hi,” Sea meekly greeted.

Stone and the others smiled.

“Hi!” Stone said.

“Nice to meet you,” Sweet Heart grinned.

“You’re hot – OUCH!” Skye yelped as Stone kicked his leg. Sea Breeze blushed slightly while Bolt glared daggers at his friend.

“Sea,” Bolt said, still glaring at Skye. “This is Stone Brook, his marefriend, Sweet Heart, his brother, Skye Racer, Moon Glow, Glacier, Red Knight and Phoenix,”

Sea glanced from pony to pony to ensure she remembered their names.

“The guys, Phoenix and I are usually the ones who play while Heart and Moon watch from here. You can stay with them, if you like?” Bolt asked, his caring tone not going unnoticed by his friends.

“Oh, okay, Bolty,” Sea smiled and timidly trotted to Moon and Sweet Heart. The two mares smiled widely and pulled Sea over to the tree.

“Your mane is so pretty,” Heart commented.

“Thank you,” Sea responded. Moon Glow took notice of the grey pegasus’ unique cutie mark; a red heart with a microphone and a dog paw print on the heart.

“How you’d get your cutie mark, Sea Breeze?” Sea glanced at her mark and grinned.

“It’s kind of a long story…” Sea began. Bolt watched as she began telling his friends about her cutie mark story. It was a pretty cool tale, as Sea had been a blank flank well into her teen years, only receiving her mark just three years before when she found and soothed a scared puppy which would later grow into the large beast she now called Angus.

“Hey, Bolt, are we playing or not?” Phoenix called.

“I’m coming!” Bolt spread his wings and floated over to his team, landing beside Stone Brook.

“Nice you could join us, ‘Bolty’,” Stone smirked.

“Can it, Brook,” Bolt rolled his eyes as his foalhood friend chuckled.

~~~
“No way,” Moon scoffed.

“You’re joking!” Heart laughed.

“It’s the honest truth!” Sea Breeze giggled. “Bolt is absolutely terrified of Goose,”

“You’re telling us that Thunder “I’m not scared of anything” Bolt is scared of a puppy dog named Goose?”

“Goose is Angus’ nickname, but, yeah, pretty much. Although, in Bolt’s defense, Angus does look terrifying when he gets mad enough,”

“I’m sure he’s just a big teddy bear,” Sweet Heart gushed.

“Oh he is, very much so. Just not with Bolty,” Sea chuckled. She caught sight of Thunder Bolt swiftly stealing the soccer ball from Glacier, his coat slick with sweat. The grey pegasus blushed slightly and shook her head, bringing her attention back to the mares.

“Darn it, I thought we had it that time,” Skye groaned as he and the rest of the group trotted over to the three mares. The teams were Bolt, Stone and Phoenix and Skye, Glacier and Red. Stone and Skye had the typical twin rivalry and Skye hated when he loss to his brother.

“Nice game, guys,” Bolt panted as he sat down beside Sea Breeze. Sea unknowingly leaned closer to the brown colt, which the others easily saw. Bolt noticed them looking and raised a brow.

“What are you guys staring at?” Bolt twisted and glanced behind him, trying to find what his friends were staring at.

“NOTHING!” They shouted, making Sea flinch.

“Okaaay? Sea rubbed her ear. Bolt turned back straight and looked at his friends once more. Sea Breeze poked Bolt, getting him to glance down at her.

“I should be getting home, Mom might need help with supper,” she whispered in his ear.

“Okay, I’ll walk you,” Bolt replied, standing up and then extending his hoof to help Sea up.

“It was wonderful meeting all of you,” Sea smiled at the group.

“We loved hanging out with you today,” Heart returned the smile as she hugged her new friend.

“See ya later, Bolt,” Red hoof bumped the pegasus. The group watched as the two pegasi walked side by side, Sea practically leaning against Bolt as they conversed with each other.

“So… What’s the verdict, guys?” Glacier asked.

“He’s crushing on her,” Phoenix giggled. Moon nodded, “Totally.” Moon made eye contact with Glacier and the two stared at each other for several seconds. Moon averted her eyes quickly, Glacier doing the same.

Sweet Heart and Phoenix glanced at each other and nodded. Smirking, Sweet Heart rose to her hooves and shuffled over beside Stone Brook.

“We should get going. Our dinner reservations are in an hour,” Heart wrinkled her nose. “And you could really use a shower,”

“Gee, thanks, honey,” Stone playfully rolled his eyes and shook his mane out. Sweet Heart punched him in the shoulder, faking disgust. Stone wrapped his arm around the small pink pegasus and pulled her close, placing a kiss on her lips. Phoenix rolled her eyes and turned her attention on Red Knight.

“You could use a shower, too, Red,” Phoenix said, ignoring her two friends who had begun making out behind her.

“And why should I listen to you?” He retorted. Phoenix glared at the earth pony and nodded her head in the direction of Glacier and Moon, the two friends still keeping their eyes off each other. It took Red several seconds to understand.

“Oh! Oh, uh, yeah. Shower it is. See ya, guys!” Red waved good-bye.

Sweet Heart, having pulled away from Stone, called over to Skye Racer. “C’mon Skye, let’s get going,”

“Why do I have to come? I have much better things to do than watch you and my brother exchange bubble gum,”

“SKYE!” Sweet Heart stomped her hoof.

“Ugh, fine.” The silver pegasus groaned and started off in the direction of his home, Stone following behind. Sweet Heart and Phoenix grinned devilishly at each other.

“Hey, Ice Man!” Phoenix shouted over to Glacier. The white pegasus looked up to the fiery mare. “Why don’t ‘cha walk Moonie home?”

Though they couldn’t see behind his dark sunglasses, Glacier’s eyes had widened excitedly at the prospect of walking Moon Glow home.

Alone.

Without their friends.

Sweet Heart and Phoenix began walking beside each other. Phoenix giggled impishly.

“Operation: Glacier Moon is a go.” The cousins spread their wings and took flight, Sweet Heart heading towards Stone and Skye while Phoenix shot towards her home on the other side of Ponyville.

Moon glared after her friends. Why those little… how dare they leave me like this! Moon fumed silently, listing off the ways she was going to make Nixie and Heart pay. Moon had spent three years, three stinking years trying to keep her and Glacier’s relationship un-romantic, just for her two best friends to leave her with the object of her desires.

“Moon Glow?”

“Eeeii-Hiiii Glacier!” Moon smiled, trying to hide her squeal. Glacier pushed his sunglasses up with a wing, his ice blue eyes penetrating Moon’s own orbs. He smiled and offered his hoof to the unicorn.

“Mind if I walk you home?”

“Um, okay,” Moon took his hoof. She yelped as Glacier pulled her up, not expecting him to be so strong. She glanced at his arm, her eyes widening slightly as she took in the sight. Holy Celestia! Has he been working out? I bet he can keep a mare quite warm with—NO! NO! NO! NO!

“Are you okay, Moonie?” Glacier asked. Moon tore her eyes from his muscles, only to look directly at his chest. Her cheeks went slightly pink as her ears pinned back. She looked up higher and found that her eyes only reached to his neck. This is getting ridiculous.

She stepped back and pushed a lock of mane out of her face.

“Everything’s good. Shall we get going?” Moon turned and quickly began trotting away. Her ear flicked as she heard Glacier gallop up beside her.

Glacier racked his brain for something to say. “So, uh. How’s life going for ya?” He mentally facehoofed. Idiot.

“Everything’s okay,” Moon replied, keeping her eyes forward and off her friend. That’s it Moon. Keep walking forward. No reason to look at that dreamy hunk of stallion beside you. She paused her thinking. I need serious help.

“What about your mom and grandmother?” Glacier continued.

“Nona is great, as usual,” Moon laughed as she thought about her grandmother. “She is always moving. She makes me tired just watching her,”

“And your mom?”

Moon paused mid-step. Starry had not yet recovered from the pain of Constellation’s passing anniversary. In years past, the unicorn had bounded back into her usual routine the next day. This time, however, she didn’t. Moon was beginning to worry for her mother. It had been a full month and Moon continued to hear Starry crying into the night.

“Moon?” Moon Glow flinched and looked up to see the white stallion looking back at her worriedly.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Glacier. My mom, she’s, well—I don’t really know,” Moon sighed as she fell into stride with Glacier once more.

“How come?” Glacier inquired.

“It’s…complicated,”

“Oh,” Glacier winced, hoping he hadn’t offended Moon by asking.

The two ponies walked along in silence for several moments. Moon stole a glance up at her friend. Exhaling, she said, “Glacier,”

“Yeah?”

“We’ve known each other for a long time, haven’t we?” The pegasus nodded.

“Nine years to be exact. I still remember when you ran me over, by the way,” Glacier chuckled, bumping into Moon. The unicorn giggled.

“Yeah, fun times,” Moon smiled. “I have I ever told you why my mother and I moved to Ponyville?” Moon said a few seconds later.

“Other than her wanting to get away from the big city of Manehatten, no, I don’t think you have,”

“Well, I guess it’s time. You know that my father passed away a long time ago, right?”

“Mm-hmm,” Glacier nodded solemnly. Seeing a bench, Moon made her way over to it and sat down, Glacier sitting beside her.

“Before Poppa died, he owned a company, Abastor Robotics. My grandfather built the company from the ground up and Poppa took it over once Grandfather retired. Abastor Robotics was Poppa’s pride and joy, other than me, of course. But someponies like to make others suffer, and my Poppa was next on the list,” Moon sniffed. Glacier had a feeling he knew what Moon Glow was going to say next.

“One night when I was seven years old, Poppa had to stay late at the office. It wasn’t unusual for him to stay late a few times a month, but never as late as he was on this night. Mom always stayed up, waiting for him,”

“Moon—” Glacier began.

“Poppa was killed that night. Murdered over something that was going on within his company, something that he didn’t even know was going on. The ponies that killed him were caught later on and imprisoned for life.

“My uncle, Nadir, took over the company and fished out the ones responsible for the illegal dealings that took my father from me. They too were imprisoned,” Moon wiped away the tears that had begun falling from her eyes. Glacier sat silently beside the unicorn, mulling over everything she had told him.

“The tenth anniversary of Poppa’s death was last month. My mother… she has taken this year much harder than years past,” Moon felt more tears squeaking through her eyes.

“Moonie, I—” Glacier began.

“I need to get home,” Moon cried out, getting to her hooves and galloping away.

“Moon! Wait!” Glacier spread his wings and flew to the running unicorn. Moon Glow continued on the path to her home.

“Moonie! Stop,” Glacier dropped in front of her.

“Leave me alone!” Moon shouted, maneuvering around the pegasus and breaking out once more into a full gallop. Glacier watched sadly as his friend ran away.

“Nice going, Glacier. She probably hates you now.”

~~~
The next afternoon

“I’m not going,” Moon groaned.

“You are going,” Sweet Heart nodded.

“I’m not going,”

“You are going,”

“Am not,”

“Are to,”

“Am not,” Moon was beginning to get irritated at her friend.

“Am not,” Sweet Heart continued.

“Are to,” Moon said

“You’re not going!” Sweet Heart pushed Moon.

“I am going!” Moon shouted, pushing back at Heart. Heart smirked.

“So you’re going!”

“Yes—wait, what?” Moon looked at Sweet Heart quizzically.

“I’m so glad we came to an understanding. Now, we need to find dresses. Phoenix! Get your tail over here!” Phoenix lazily rose from Sweet Heart’s bed.

In a few days, Ponyville High would be hosting the annual spring dance. The entire school had worked hard on preparing for it and Sweet Heart, who was the head of the planning committee, could hardly wait.

“What do you need? I was getting my beauty sleep,” Phoenix yawned.

“Who cares about beauty sleep? This is an emergency,” Sweet Heart said.

“Since when was getting dresses for a school dance an emergency?” Phoenix stumbled over beside Moon Glow and plopped down beside the unicorn, using Moon’s shoulder as a head rest. Heart gapped at Phoenix for several moments.

“Nixie, darling, I know you aren’t for the things of romance, but please believe me when I say—”

“Red and I are dating,” Phoenix yawned once more. This time both Moon and Heart gapped at the yellow pegasus.

“WHAT!” Heart and Moon gasped. Moon stood up, causing Phoenix to fall back and hit her head on the floor.

“What? Oh, and OW!!” Phoenix glared at the unicorn.

“Heh heh, sorry,” Moon grinned sheepishly. Sweet Heart was still looking at Phoenix with wide eyes.

“When did…this happen?” Heart finally asked.

“About a month ago,”

“And you didn’t tell us because?”

“Maybe we wanted our privacy?”

“HA!” Moon laughed.

“What are you laughing about?” Sweet Heart turned on Moon.

“You two, privacy? Did you forget what you did to Glacier and I yesterday?”

“Oh, right,” Phoenix facehoofed. Sweet Heart, however, appeared to have missed the point.

“So, how did it go?” Moon glared at the pink pegasus.

“Horrible! Glacier probably thinks I’m a cry baby now,”

“Why would he think that?” Phoenix asked.

“I told him why my mother moved us to Ponyville,”

“Gee, was meeting us really that bad?” Sweet Heart pouted. Moon quickly shook her head.

“No. no, I love you guys. It’s just that,” Moon sighed, not wanting to go over it again.
“Momma and I moved here a year after my father was murdered. Momma wanted to get away from Manehatten and since Ponyville had such happy memories for her, being this is where she grew up, that’s why we came here to live with Nona,” Moon saw the horrified expressions on the faces of her friends, Heart having her hoof over her mouth.

“Oh, Moonie, I’m so sorry,” Heart cried as she threw her arms around the unicorn in a bone crushing hug. Phoenix joined the hug, too. Moon felt the tears well up again.

“It was just too hard telling Glacier and I ran. He came after me, but I yelled at him to leave me alone,”

“Its okay, Moon. I’m sure he’ll understand,” Phoenix comforted. Heart pulled away from the hug.

“Yeah! He’ll understand. Glacier’s a very understanding guy.”

Moon shook her head. “I don’t think I’ll be able to face him again,”

“Don’t say that,” Phoenix smiled.

“The dance!” Heart exclaimed suddenly.

“What about it?” Moon sniffed.

“That’s where you and Glacier can make up. Just imagine it, you and him, under the disco ball, dancing slowly to a romantic song. It’s perfect!”

“Not every story has a happy ending, Sweet Heart. My mom is proof of that,” Moon sighed. Sweet Heart scoffed.

“Then we’ll help you and her see that happy endings do happen. You just need a little faith, trust and Sweet Heart dust,”

“That’s weird. And you totally stole that from a Disneigh movie,” Phoenix stuck her tongue out.

“I know.” Sweet Heart giggled.

~~~

“She hates me. I’ve ruined everything,” Glacier laid on his back on a limb of the oak tree beside the soccer field.

“What’d you ruin?”

“GAH!” Glacier jumped up and hit his head a limb above him.

“If you ruined something of your mom’s, my advice is to lay low and buy her something nice. That’s what I do,” Skye Racer flapped in mid air beside Glacier. On his back. With his hooves beneath his head. Glacier glared at the silver pegasus.

“Did your mother drop you when you were a foal?”

“Yup!”

“That explains a lot, really,” Glacier glided down to the field. Stone and Red were kicking the soccer ball back and forth. Bolt was no where to be seen, most likely with Sea Breeze.

“Hey, Glacier,” Stone smiled. Red nodded at the white pegasus.

“Hi, guys,” Glacier sat down a few feet away. Stone noticed the down trodden look on Glacier’s face.

“What’s got ya down, Ice Man?” Stone asked.

“Mares,”

“Ah,” Stone nodded. “Was it Moon Glow?”

“Yeah—wait, how did you know?”

“Dude, every one us have known for the past three years. It isn’t rocket science, you know,”

“It is with her,”

“What did you do?” Stone asked.

“She told me why she and her mother moved to Ponyville. Turned out that they moved here because her father was killed. I guess it reopened some wounds for Moon and she ran off, crying her eyes out. I feel horrible,” Glacier groaned. Stone stayed silent. Red and Skye also stopped kicking the soccer ball and came over to them.

“Gee, poor Moon,” Skye said.

“I know how she feels,” Red said solemnly. “My dad died while in service for the Equestrian Military. I was only five,”

“I don’t know how I’m going to make it up to her,” Glacier said. “It’s not like I can go up to her and say ‘Hey, sorry about your dad dying. Want to be my marefriend?’”

“Yeah, that may not go over very well,” Skye scratched his neck.

“Maybe invite her to the school dance?” Red suggested.

“That could work,” Stone nodded in agreement. Glacier shook his head.

“Nope, out of the question. A buffalo has more grace than I do when it comes to dancing,”

“You have to do something,” Stone said.

“Well I’m fresh out of ideas,” Glacier stood and spread his wings, readying for take off. “Maybe we aren’t meant to be a couple.”

~~~
1 week later

It was the day of the dance. Moon Glow, Sweet Heart and Phoenix were Heart’s home getting ready for the night of dancing that was to come. Stone Brook and Red Knight would arrive in a few short hours to accompany the three mares to the school. There they would meet up with Skye Racer, Glacier, Thunder Bolt and Sea Breeze.

“I still don’t know why I let you two convince me to go to the dance,” Moon said as she pulled the curlers out of her mane. She levitated a mane pick and began separating the tight curls into delicate waves. Beside her Phoenix was attempting to pull her fiery mane into a simple ponytail. It wasn’t working out well for the pegasus.

“Uh, Moonie? A little help, please?” Phoenix sighed as she dropped her hooves onto the vanity. Without a word, Moon levitated a brush and mane tie and easily pulled Phoenix’s mane up into the style she wanted.

“There,”

“Thanks,” Phoenix smiled and began putting a light coat of mascara on her lashes.

“Mom! Stop, please. We can get ready on our own,” Moon and Phoenix perked up and looked around the cracked door of Sweet Heart’s bed room.

“But, Sweetie, I just want to help,” Verbena, Sweet Heart’s mother, said.

“No help needed!” Sweet Heart insisted as she practically jumped through her bed room doorway and slammed the door. She then opened it slowly to reveal Verbena’s face.

“Love you, Mom,” Sweet Heart kissed her mother’s cheek and closed the door more quietly this time. She then collapsed against the door.

“Whew, I thought I’d never get rid of her,” she whispered. Phoenix and Moon Glow laughed.

“Now you know why I came here to get ready. Momma would have never let me out of the house!” Moon giggled.

“Are all moms the same?” Phoenix asked.

“Yep,” Moon and Heart said in unison.

~~~

Moon Glow, Sweet Heart, Phoenix, Stone and Red met up with Glacier and Skye at the school. Bolt and Sea had not yet arrived, so the seven friends decided to wait for them before joining the rest of their classmates.

“There they are!” Heart smiled as Bolt and Sea Breeze came in sight.

“Over here,” Phoenix waved.

“Wow, Breezey, you look amazing,” Moon Glow exclaimed as she, Phoenix and Moon surround the grey pegasus. Sea was wearing a simple green dress that brought out her emerald eyes. The skirt ended just above her hooves and flowed gracefully off her flanks. She had a bow the same color of her dress in her mane which kept her bangs out of her eyes.

“Aww, thanks girls. You look amazing too,” Sea smiled brightly. She had greatly changed from the shy mare they had met before. Moon Glow had on a shimmery silver dress. Sweet Heart’s dress was of similar style, only hers being dark purple and had lace around the sleeves and hem. Phoenix had on a short red dress that ended just below her cutie mark, the fabric separating into multiple red, orange and yellow ribbons that look like fire when Phoenix walked. It was the most girly thing she had ever worn in her life.

Bolt moved over to his guy friends while the fillies squealed with each other.

“Dude, your girl looks hot,” Skye said.

“Yeah—Hey!”

“Hay is for eating, Bolt,” joked Skye, knowing exactly what his friend meant.

“Stone, control your brother,” Bolt growled.

“Sorry, bro, no controlling that numbskull. I’ve tried,” Stone facehoofed.

“C’mon boys! Are we gonna stand here and chat or are we gonna DANCE!?” Phoenix shouted over.

The first several songs were fast paced pop songs. This style was Phoenix’s favorite and she kept Red Knight on the dance floor for all of the four songs played.
Sweet Heart, Moon and Sea sat a table off to the side while the boys chatted with each other.

“Moonie, you can’t just sit here all night. You need to get out on that dance floor with Glacier,” Sweet Heart said.

“You’re lucky I even came. Don’t push it,” Moon snapped. She had purposely avoided the white pegasus so far and she had no interest in ending that pattern now.

“What’s going on?” Sea asked, not knowing what was going on between Moon and Glacier.

“It’s nothing,” Moon shrugged.

“It’s not nothing,” Sweet Heart said.

“It’s nothing,”

“Not nothing,”

Sea looked back and forth between the arguing unicorn and pegasus. “Um, sorry I asked”

Sweet Heart paused in the middle of her sentence. She and Moon looked at Sea Breeze, who had shrunk back in her seat. Moon calmed herself and looked apologetically at Sea.

“We’re sorry, Breezy. We didn’t mean to pull you into our… little disagreement.”

Sea smiled. “It’s okay, girls.”

The fillies talked for a while longer when the lights in the gymnasium-turned-dance-floor lowered and a slow romantic song came on. Thunder Bolt walked up behind Sea and tapped her on her shoulder. Sea flinched and turned to see the blue eyed, blond maned colt. Bolt smiled and bowed.

“Sea? May I have this dance?”

“You may,” Sea smiled, taking his hoof.

Sweet Heart stood up to stretch her legs when somepony bumped into her. She looked up to see Stone Brook smiling slyly.

“Oh, I’m sorry, gorgeous. I didn’t see you there,”

Sweet Heart smirked, playing along. “Well then, I believe that an apology is in order. Or you can dance with me. What do you say, handsome?”

“Let’s show these ponies how to really dance.” Stone said as he took Heart’s hoof and led her to the dance floor. They passed by Skye Racer, who had a pretty forest green and dark red earth pony filly swooning in his arms.

Meanwhile, Glacier sat on the sidelines, sneaking glances at Moon Glow every few minutes. She was sitting with Phoenix and Red Knight. He saw Phoenix glance at him and caught a small smile from her. She then turned her attention back on Moon and leaned in close to the unicorn, whispering something. He saw Moon blush and shake her head quickly. Phoenix glared at her and made hoof motions, gesturing from Moon to Glacier. He then saw Phoenix rise off her seat slightly and wave him over.

Glacier tilted his head and, shrugging, got up and made his way over to the trio. Moon didn’t see him approach, as she had her head buried in her arms. Phoenix nodded towards Moon, making a “go ahead” gesture with her hoof. Glacier shook his head, mouthing the phrase, “no way.” Phoenix glared once again and made a sharper hoof gesture. Glacier mouthed, “fine”.

He cleared his throat. “Hey, Moonie.” Moon nearly jumped out of her seat. Composing herself, she said, “Oh, hey.” She felt as if her face was on fire as Glacier’s ice blue eyes looked at her, his gentle nature being shown through them. His mane was neatly styled back, except for a piece of his forelock that flopped down over eyes, giving him a coltish look. If she hadn’t been sitting down, Moon was sure she would have melted into the floor.

“Uh, I was wondering if you’d like to dance.”

Moon felt her breath catch in her throat. He wants to dance? After what I did to him? She looked at Phoenix. The fiery pegasus appeared to be holding herself back. She had a “if you don’t say yes I’ll make you say it” expression. Moon looked back to Glacier.

“Really?” Glacier nodded. Moon smiled broadly and jumped up from her seat. “I’d love to!” Without thinking, she grabbed his hoof and whisked him onto the dance floor. Phoenix looked on proudly. “That’s my girl.”

Sweet Heart and Stone were walking back to the table when Moon and Glacier danced passed them. Heart and Stone looked at each other and smiled.

“Looks like Operation: Glacier Moon has worked,” Sweet Heart told Phoenix once they reached the table. Sea and Bolt were already there, Bolt holding Sea’s hoof as she laid her head on his shoulder. Bolt looked at Heart with his brow raised.

“Operation what now?”

“You wouldn’t understand,” Phoenix said.

“Hey, I play soccer, not hoofball like those bird brains,” Bolt pointed at several jocks.

“Don’t call them bird brains,” Stone reprimanded jokingly. “It’s an insult to birds.”

Soon Moon and Glacier returned to their friends. Moon sat between Sweet Heart and Sea Breeze while Glacier went to talk Red Knight. Phoenix had made her way back onto the dance floor and was widely dancing while the mares looked on. Sea went back and forth between conversing with Bolt to talking with Sweet Heart and Moon.

“Hey girls! C’mon, dance with me!” Phoenix called over. The fillies looked at each other.

“Well?” Phoenix trotted over to her girl friends.

“Might as well. Nixie won’t stop until we do,” Moon laughed, getting up and pulling Sweetie and Sea with her.

“But—” Sea started, glancing at Bolt.

“Go on. Have fun!” He smiled.

The four friends danced with each other for several songs, Sea and Sweetie mostly swaying from side to side and nodding their heads to the beat while Moon and Phoenix danced wildly. After a few more slow dances and many fast ones, the night came to an end. The nine friends and Wild Flower, the green and red earth pony Skye had been with all evening, decided to go to Sugar Cube Corner for a late night snack. After getting their treats, the friends parted ways. Before leaving, Sweet Heart poked Moon on her shoulder.

“Yeah?”

“Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do,” Sweet Heart said cryptically.

“Excuse me?”

“See you tomorrow!” Heart smiled. She quickly shuffled up beside Stone, who opened his wing and pulled her close. Moon shook her head. What the hay was that about?

Moon Glow began walking home when she felt a hoof on her shoulder. She stopped mid step, quickly looking up to see Glacier shyly smiling at her.

“Uh,” Glacier looked down to see his hoof still on Moon’s shoulder. Removing it, he continued, “Would you mind going on a walk? With me,”

Moon didn’t know what to say. It was late and she should be getting home, but she didn’t want to disappoint Glacier.

“Okay.”

The two teenagers walked together through the silent streets of Ponyville. Neither one talked, only stealing glances at each other every few minutes. They made their way to the park. Seeing a bench, Glacier made his way over two and sat down, motioning for Moon Glow to sit. Moon complied and sat down beside him, smoothing her dress as she did. She tilted her head back to look at the night sky. It was a clear night, not a cloud to be seen. Luna’s stars twinkled brightly while the moon glowed with its milky light. A breeze blew softly through the trees, the spring air being just the right temperature; not cold, but not hot.

“Moonie?” Glacier soft voice brought Moon’s attention to him several minutes later.

“Hmm?”

“Moon, I think we need to talk,” Glacier said gently. Moon stiffened up.

“Why?”

“You know exactly why,” Glacier stood up and took Moon’s hoof. “Come with me,”

“Um, okay.” Glacier smiled and led Moon Glow through Ponyville and to the outskirts of the town.

“You know this is the way to Sweet Apple Acres, right?” Moon said as the two continued down the road. Her pegasus guide nodded.

“Yeah, but we’re not going to Sweet Apple Acres. There’s a little, I guess it could be called an oasis, just past the farm,”

Moon sighed and continued following Glacier. She didn’t notice him stopping several minutes later and walked right into his flank.

“Glacier! Why’d you—” Moon stepped around Glacier’s plot and looked into the most gorgeous place she’d ever seen. “—Stop?”

“Welcome to my little get-a-way. It’s pretty private and as far as I know, no pony has been here. It’s nice to have when I need to disappear from my parents. And my brothers and sisters,” Glacier chuckled.

“It’s absolutely beautiful,” Moon said breathlessly as she walked around the paradise. It was completely surrounded by large trees and undergrowth, completely hidden from prying eyes. Moon suspected it was at the edge of the Everfree Forest. There were hundreds of beautiful flowers and plants and in the middle of it all was a pond with the clearest water Moon had ever seen, reminding her of the waters surrounding the islands her family used to vacation on when she was a filly.

“Yeah, it is,” Glacier smiled, not even looking at the pond and plants, instead gazing directly at Moon Glow. Moon caught Glacier looking at her and blushed slightly. Clearing her throat, Moon asked, “So, what did you want to talk about?”

“Us,”

“Us?”

“Yes, us,” Glacier said as he sat down at the edge of the pond. Moon cautiously walked up and sat down beside him.

“I’m sorry if what I brought up last week made you upset. I had no idea what had happened to your father. I’m sorry he died that way,” Glacier said, looking at Moon Glow. She had her attention on her hooves. “But, if that hadn’t happened, I probably would have never met you.

“Moon, you’re my best friend. You’re kind, funny, easy to talk to, sometimes, and you’re always there for the rest of us whenever we need you,” Glacier smiled, looking down into the water. He continued, “But, over the last three years, I’ve began to notice something,”

Moon kept her eyes on her hooves as she felt her heart beating so fast it seemed that it would burst out of her chest at any moment.

“Glacier, I—” Moon started, just be shushed by Glacier’s hoof.

“Please, Moonie, let me finish.” Moon nodded and Glacier removed his hoof.

“I’ve began to notice things, things about you. You’re no longer the tomcoltish filly I grew up with, the filly that wasn’t afraid to get her hooves dirty. You’ve grown up. And when I look at you, I feel… Well, I don’t know how I feel. All I know is that you’re the most beautiful mare I’ve ever seen and…” Glacier looked up and saw Moon Glow, her mane falling over her left eye in the cutest way and her cheeks slightly pink with a blush.

“…And, I’ve fallen head over hooves in love with you,” Glacier finished. He took Moon’s hoof in his. Moon’s eyes remained on Glacier’s as she scooted closer to the pegasus.

“You know,” Moon began slowly. “I’m glad I moved to Ponyville.”

~~~
Starry Night stood at her bedroom’s window. Her daughter was at the school dance with her friends. Her mother was sound asleep in her own room.

Once again, just like every night for the past month, Constellation was on Starry’s mind.

“It’s been ten years,” Starry said to herself. “Why do I still feel like this?”

Author's Note:

Whew. That was a lot of words. That took absolutely forever to write. I hope y'all enjoy. If we're lucky, Part 4 will be out around the end of July. I don't think it will be as long, but I didn't expect part 3 to be this long, so anything is possible.
Thanks for reading!