• Published 17th May 2012
  • 12,620 Views, 385 Comments

Family Matters - RainbowDoubleDash



Dinky Doo has the best mother in the world, and the best mother deserves the best birthday present.

  • ...
11
 385
 12,620

4. Explanations and Allusions

“Dinky,” Ditzy Doo said, breaking the silence that had lingered between the two of them for the past hour, ever since her mother had returned to their apartment and gave her mail bags to another pony to finish her route, promising to make up for it later. “What were you doing at Amethyst Star’s?”

Dinky didn’t look up from where she’d been sitting, on the cushions of the living room’s couch, staring at her hooves and trying to figure out what had happened. On the floor was her school bag, still laden with the hundred bits. She did blink a few times at the question, though, unsure how to answer it. Was everything ruined? Her surprise? A year of hard work, gone, just like that? Surely her mother had seen Sparkler scoop up all of the bits and put them in Dinky’s bag…but the question was phrased as though she hadn’t noticed that.

That meant there was still some way to salvage this. Somehow. “I…it was a new store,” she lied. It tasted like bile was filling up her throat and mouth even as she did, but she continued anyway. “I wanted to check it out.”

Dinky didn’t look to her mother. She didn’t have to; she knew that her mother’s wings would be sagging, her face a look of resigned sadness. Ditzy Doo always knew when her daughter was lying to her. Dinky had never lied about something so big before, though, and never in such an outright way. Until now, her worst ‘lie’ was that she was spending the money that Fluttershy was giving her every week on candy or toys, and even then that was technically still true, just not the whole truth, and Ditzy had never questioned it before.

Dinky heard movement, and a few moments later she felt her mother sitting down on the couch next to her, though she seemed almost careful not to touch Dinky. “I have tomorrow off,” Ditzy said. Her mother was forcing her voice to be bright. “We…we should do something. Go to a play, maybe. Or Cloudsdale is nearby this time of year! You’ve always wanted to go, right? I could take you there! We could go to the Cloudiseum and see – ”

“I have school.”

“You could skip it. One day won’t hurt. I’m sure Miss Cheerilee will understand.”

“I can’t fly.”

“I could carry you. I don’t mind – ”

“You knew Sparkler,” Dinky interrupted, as she felt something rising inside of her. It was hot and bright and yet somehow cold and dark at the same time, and Dinky didn’t like it very much, but didn’t stop herself from letting it rise. “You knew Sparkler! How come Sparkler hates you, momma? What happened?”

Dinky spun around to face her mother. Ditzy Doo had recoiled at her daughter’s outburst, wings raised high in surprise. She had previously had only one eye focused on Dinky, the right one, but at Dinky’s outburst both had come into focus. After a few moments of silence, she looked away from her daughter, closing her eyes tightly, wings sagging.

“I…Dinky, I’ll tell you. I swear to Luna, I’ll tell you, tomorrow. Just give me one more day, Dinky. Please. Please.

Dinky opened her mouth to shout again, but faltered at the state of her mother, who once more looked like she was on the verge of tears. It was all Dinky could do to stop herself from throwing herself at her mother, hugging her and promising her a million more days of not knowing if she’d just wouldn’t cry.

But she didn’t. “But I know something’s wrong, momma,” she said. “If we do go to the Cloudiseum or a play or whatever I won’t be able to have fun, ‘cause I know something’s wrong. And you know something’s wrong too.”

Ditzy Doo closed her eyes. “I…I know,” she said softly. “I know…okay.” She took in a deep breath, and let it out slowly, focusing herself, though the focus was ruined as soon as she looked to her daughter again. She steeled herself anyway. “This…this has to do with your father.”

Dinky blinked several times at that, eyes widening. Dinky Doo knew, of course, that she had a father, or at least had possessed one at some point. She’d asked her mother about him a few times, but she’d always told Dinky that she’d tell her when she was older. “Does Sparkler know him too?” Dinky asked.

Ditzy nodded. Her wings were twitching slightly in agitation and discomfort, but she pressed on. “Amethyst Star – Sparkler – is the daughter of a unicorn named Castor Cut. And…and so are you.”

The unicorn filly looked down, taking this in. “My father’s name is Castor Cut,” she said. “And…Sparkler…Sparkler’s my sister? But then why – ”

“Half-sister,” Ditzy interrupted. “Castor Cut is your father and Sparkler’s, but I’m not Sparkler’s mother – she’s only a few years younger than me. Sparkler’s mother is named May Bell. Castor Cut’s wife.”

Dinky considered this, trying to fit the pieces together in her head. Her mother was giving her time, at least. It almost felt like a math problem, one where there was something that wasn’t adding up. “But…but why would Sparkler hate you?”

Ditzy Doo looked like somepony was hitting her every time Dinky asked a question. She looked down, away from her daughter again. “When I first met your father,” she explained, “I was barely more than a filly. I mean, I was almost a full-grown mare, in another few months it was going to be my birthday…but I didn’t really act like it. I just went to parties, came home late, didn’t do my homework, I was a superficial, stupid pony.”

“What does superficial mean?”

“Um…shallow. Anyway…when I first met your father, it was at a bar in Fillydelphia. He’d been fighting with his wife and just wanted to relax and unwind, and I was in heat so I also wanted to relax.”

Dinky nodded a little. She’d yet to have what being in heat meant explained to her in detail. All Dinky knew was that every autumn for about a week, her mother would get agitated and moody, and often needed to take time off of work, and alternated between not wanting to be around any stallions, and wanting very much to be around them. She’d had only the bare bones basics of it explained to her – that being in heat meant that her mother’s body was very receptive to becoming pregnant, but nopony would explain to her how that happened yet. Her questions were always answered with a very awkward ‘when you're older’ no matter who she asked.

“So we talked,” Ditzy Doo explained. “We danced, and we…we had fun together. Adult kinds of fun.”

Again with not telling her what that meant. “I don’t get it, momma,” she said flatly. “What’s so bad about that?”

Ditzy bit her lip. “It…it wouldn’t have been so bad, Dinky, if it had just been for a single night, and then forgotten about. Bad, but not so bad. But like I said, Dinky, Castor Cut was married, and…and what we were doing, it’s only supposed to go on between two married ponies, or at least two ponies who are very much in love and who aren’t married to some other ponies, like my friends Lyra and BonBon.”

Dinky thought a moment. “Okay…” she said. She didn’t have a lot to go on – she had frustratingly little, in fact – but she accepted that her mother didn’t want to go into the details of whatever it was Castor Cut and her were doing. Dinky didn’t understand why, though.

“I kept seeing Castor Cut for months, and he kept seeing me. But we had to do it in secret. We didn’t want Castor Cut’s wife finding out, or his daughter. Because, Dinky, he still loved May Bell, he just…hadn’t been getting along with her.”

“So you were helping, then!” Dinky exclaimed. “If you were helping him relax and – ”

Ditzy shook her head. “No. No, I was making things worse. Because rather than talking with May Bell and trying to work through his problems, or else divorcing her because the two just couldn’t get along, he’d just come and see me. It was really the worst possible choice he could have made…but I let him do it. I even encouraged it.”

Dinky stared, uncomprehendingly. Her mother…the kindest, sweetest mare in the whole world, the Element of Kindness – had been acting like that? “Wh…why, momma?” Dinky asked in a small voice.

Ditzy’s lip was trembling. “I…I was selfish. I wanted your father all to myself. But I didn’t want to have to deal with the fallout from him getting a divorce, even though that was not my choice. I thought it was because I loved him, but it was really only because he made me feel good and I was being selfish. It’s not the same thing. But then something unexpected happened. Something that meant that Castor Cut had to choose between either me or his wife.”

“Me,” Dinky surmised.

Ditzy blinked. “Y…yes,” she said, unnerved by her daughter’s leap of logic. “I became pregnant with you…I’d actually been pregnant with you since just shortly after Castor Cut and I had met, but didn’t realize it until about three months later. And…and that’s when Castor Cut told me that we weren’t going to see each other anymore. He had to choose between his wife and daughter, or me and you. He chose his family.”

“But…” Dinky objected to that. She felt tears stinging her eyes. “But…but I’m his family too! Aren’t I?”

Ditzy just looked sad. She didn’t have tears in her eyes, though, as she moved over on the couch, sitting closer to Dinky and putting a wing around her daughter, holding her close. To her infinite relief, Dinky pressed herself tightly against her mother, eyes wide as she tried to understand what her mother was telling her. “Your father,” Ditzy said, “wanted to…to just ignore that he and I had ever been together. Find a reset button and just push it. And I didn’t have the courage to try and stop him…but, well, Dinky, pregnancy isn’t exactly something you can hide. My parents found out, and they found out who gotten me pregnant…the next month or two was just a disaster for me, for Castor Cut…my parents tried to make Castor Cut take responsibility, dragged me to his front door - his wife and his daughter watching the whole thing - and put me in display and were going to bring him to court, but I didn’t want to see him ever again, so I packed up my things and took my savings and moved to Ponyville. I don't know what happened to Castor Cut, but it wouldn't surprise me if he and May Bell got a divorce."

Dinky was staring at her hooves. Tears still stung at her eyes, but she wasn’t really crying…the tears just came and fell as she tried to understand what her mother had explained. “S…so that’s why Sparkler hates you,” Dinky surmised.

Ditzy nodded.

“And…and that means that I’m a mistake. That I shouldn’t of ever been born – ”

“Don’t say that,” Ditzy interrupted fiercely. “Don’t you ever even think that, Dinky Doo. You are not a mistake. You weren’t expected. You were a surprise. But I have never thought of you as a mistake, Dinky, and I never will, and you never should either. You are the best thing to have ever happened to me. You’re sweet, you’re kind, you’re hard-working, you’re smart…you’re everything anypony could ever want from a daughter. I don’t deserve you.”

Dinky looked to her mother in disbelief. “Yeah you do!” she exclaimed. “You’re the best momma ever! You work real hard and teach me how to do things and you saved me and everypony else from Corona…”

“Dinky, that’s just what’s expected of mothers. That’s how they’re supposed to act, what they’re supposed to do, for their daughters.”

“Maybe,” Dinky said, wiping away the tears from her eyes. “But you do it better, momma. It doesn’t matter what you used to be like.” She fixed her mother with a pointed stare. “So don’t ever even think that, momma. I learned to be sweet and kind and hard-working and smart from you.”

Ditzy stared at her daughter for a few moments, before her lip began to tremble. She drew Dinky into a tighter hug with her wing, and leaned down, nuzzling her daughter. “Not your smarts,” she insisted. “You didn’t get that from me. Not your father, either. That’s all you, Dinky.”

Dinky began to respond to that, but after a moment decided against it – words would only cheapen the moment, she knew. Instead, she leaned into her mother’s nuzzle, and let silence reign between the two of them.

Internally, however, Dinky felt determination come over her. I need that necklace, she told herself in no uncertain terms. If momma really doesn’t think that she deserves me, I need to show her how much she’s wrong…but Sparkler won’t sell it to me. I need to find some way to trick her into not knowing that she’s selling it to me…

Dinky had to keep herself from reacting as she hit upon an idea. Of course! I know exactly who could help me out! But…but I have to hurry. Dinky glanced at the clock on their living room wall. It was just past three PM. If Sparkler’s jewelry store was anything like every other shop in town, then she’d be closing at five, and Dinky wasn’t sure if she’d have time until her mother’s birthday. She needed to act fast. But…but that meant she’d have to…

Dinky closed her eyes, simultaneously steeling herself and fully thinking through everything she had to say so that she wasn’t making things up on the spot. “Momma?” Dinky asked.

“Yes, muffin?”

“I need to go over to Scootaloo’s house,” Dinky lied. “She needs help with her with homework. We have to write a paper on early Equestrian history.”

Ditzy looked her daughter over, eyeing her. Despite the gravity of their previous conversation, she seemed to switch gears easily. “And?” she asked expectantly.

How does she do that? Dinky asked herself. The lie was ninety percent true and her mother still knew something was up. But that was why Dinky had held back a little. She looked away, feeling some genuine embarrassment. “It’s…um, it’s because in history class today, me and her…we weren’t paying attention. So Miss Cheerilee gave us a paper, and I said I’d meet her at her house.”

The gray pegasus ruffled her wings a little. “Not paying attention in class?” Ditzy asked, her voice full of maternal concern.

“Um…yeah.”

Ditzy Doo sighed, looking to the clock. “Alright. But be back by five. I think we should have dinner together…and plan what to do tomorrow.”

“Okay!” Dinky promised, as she grabbed her school bag telekinetically, then retrieved her winter cape and hat, heading towards the door of their apartment, though not before sparing a moment to plant a firm kiss on her mother’s cheek, lest she start to suspect anything.

Dinky did not like all the lying she’d been having to do recently – surprise or no surprise, it was beginning to weigh on her conscience, and she didn’t like that she was starting to make choices based on trying to sell her lies – most of all to her mother. But it would all be worth it. She was certain of it.

---

If there was one pony she could count on to help her out – one pony who would be able to put on an act of buying a necklace for herself but secretly actually buying it for Dinky Doo, and not let Sparkler know, one pony she could trust to want to help her – then that one pony was the Representative of the Night Court of Luna, Miss Trixie Lulamoon.

Fortunately, Scootaloo’s house and Trixie’s home were in the same direction, so Dinky didn’t need to worry about her mother watching out the window. As Dinky approached the iron fence that surrounded the Residency – only chest-high on an adult pony, but one which towered over the unicorn filly – she took note of the fact that it had been fixed up nicely. After the Longest Night, the Residency had been a complete disaster from ponies who were very mad at Trixie for reasons that Dinky didn’t fully understand, but all the damage seemed to have been repaired, making the place good as new – especially the front window that looked into Trixie’s office, which had needed to be replaced a second time afterwards when the replacement furniture had arrived and somehow a couch had ended up going through it.

Dinky passed through the front gate and felt herself smiling. This would be easy –

The door to the Residency flew open, Trixie dashed out of it, then closed it behind her, horn glowing brightly as a cerulean aura surrounded her door. Something banged into it from the other side, hard.

“That sounded like it hurt,” Trixie noted. She was wearing her hat, but not her cape, and clutched in her telekinetic grip was a book stuffed full of notes written in hurried script.

“BonBon?” a voice, with no owner that Dinky could see, asked. It sounded like Lyra Heartstrings, one of Trixie’s and Ditzy Doo’s friends and the Element of Loyalty, but something was…off…about it. “You okay, sweetie?”

“She’s fine. Earth pony,” Trixie said, glancing straight up as she turned around, and noticed Dinky for the first time. Her eyes widened a little. “Oh! Dinky!” she exclaimed, blinking a few times. There was a notable pause before she added “hi!”

“Hi, Dinky,” Lyra’s disembodied voice added, from next to Trixie.

Dinky stared. “Hi,” she responded, slowly creeping forward and looking to where Trixie kept talking. “Miss Heartstrings?”

“You can just call me Lyra,” the voice said.

Dinky jumped in surprise at the sound of a voice from nowhere. “That’s…it’s really weird talking to nothing…”

Trixie’s brow furrowed at that, and her horn glowed as she waved a hoof. In front of Dinky, Lyra seemed to materialize from nothing, a bright grin on her features.

“My horn is not that short,” Lyra said – without moving her mouth. Dinky looked to Trixie in confusion.

“Illusion,” Trixie explained to the filly, before looking back to the image of Lyra – or rather, some point in space above the image of Lyra. “And yes it is. And we don’t have time to argue right now.”

“Did…did you turn Lyra invisible and now can’t make her not invisible, and only you can see her?” Dinky asked, as she mulled over the information in front of her. “And make her giant, since you keep looking up to talk to her?”

There was a pause, as Trixie looked to her side, and presumably Lyra looked back. “Sure,” Trixie said after a moment. “That’s what happened.”

Dinky eyed Trixie. “No it isn’t,” she objected to the obviously transparent lie.

“No it isn’t,” Trixie echoed, as she began walking towards the front gate, Dinky following and the illusion of Lyra keeping pace, trotting along normally, though her bright grin didn’t move and her movements were exaggerated, more like a puppet moving than a pony. Trixie opened the book in front of her, looking it over. “Look, we’ve narrowed it down to just these three, all we need to do is – ”

“The last ritual took half an hour and it didn’t even do anything!” Lyra exclaimed. “The train leaves in fifteen minutes!” There was a pause. “And my hooves are freezing! Or whatever these things are called!

Trixie glared at Lyra again – the real Lyra – but then stopped walking and frowned. “I feel I’m forgetting something – ”

Crash.

Dinky turned around at the sound of glass and wood breaking, and saw a cream-colored, blue-and-pink maned earth pony rising from the garden in front of the Residency. Before Dinky could react, BonBon – Lyra’s mare-friend – had cleared the iron gate and landed almost on top of Dinky Doo, a look of pure rage on her face – but a look which was, fortunately, not directed at the filly, instead focused first to her left, then her right, as though she was looking around for prey.

Dinky, for her part, was confused at earth pony confectionist’s actions, though after a moment she saw why the earth pony was looking around rather than taking her anger out on somepony – Trixie and the illusion of Lyra had disappeared.

“Where’d she go?” BonBon demanded. She looked down to Dinky, her gaze softening a little. “Dinky Doo? Sugar? Where did Trixie go? I’ll give you free candy for a month if you tell me.”

Dinky knew that it was wrong to lie. She also knew that it was wrong to be an accessory to murder.

“That way,” she told BonBon, pointing down the street. In a flash, BonBon was off.

Dinky wasn’t surprised when, as soon as BonBon was out of sight, Trixie seemed to bleed back into reality, the invisibility glamor she’d woven over herself falling off of her in a blue mist that quickly dissipated into nothingness. She didn’t re-create the Lyra figment, instead looking to Dinky. “Thanks,” she said. “I owe you, kiddo.”

“She is going to be so mad at me…” Lyra’s voice mourned.

Dinky looked to Trixie. “I…I actually came needing a favor,” she said. “See, there’s this new jewelry store, and I need to get something there today for my momma but my momma can’t know or else – ”

“We don’t have time,” Lyra’s voice interrupted.

The blue unicorn looked to the invisible Lyra, then back to Dinky. “We don’t,” Trixie said, a pained tone to her voice. “I’m sorry, kiddo, I really am, but me and Lyra need to hoof it…leg it…whatever…to the train station. She has a show in Canterlot she can’t miss.”

Dinky stared, wide-eyed. “But…” she objected. “But, I need – ”

“I’m sorry, I'm so sorry,” Trixie said, as she turned and began galloping off towards Ponyville’s train station. “I’ll make it up to you, I promise!”

Dinky tried to object again, but it was too late, as the unicorn mare was already off, presumably with the invisible, giant Lyra in tow. “But…” Dinky tried, though unlike Trixie, she really was speaking to empty air. “But…what am I supposed to do now…?”