• Published 10th May 2015
  • 4,008 Views, 131 Comments

My Little Pony: The Seal of Death - Azrael the alicorn



An ancient alicorn believed to be a legend has returned to Equestria, and warns Princess Celestia of grave danger.

  • ...
13
 131
 4,008

14: Knowing Death

Traveling on the golem turtle was calm, comfortable, and quick. While the Mane Six and Azrael were resting (though the angel of death remained awaken to avoid entering in the realm of the dreams), Floral Heart made the golem go at slow pace to ensure a good, restorative sleep for the group.

At their awakening they found that the tree alicorn had prepared a delicious breakfast made of sweet fruits. Their stomachs filled, the Mane Six started to wander around the place, curious on visiting such unknown parts of the Everfree Forest. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity had fun near at the lake, while Fluttershy chatted with Floral Heart, interested in the mysterious creatures which lived there and trying to make friend with them.

Twilight Sparkle remained behind, watching her friends with thoughtful eyes. Azrael couldn’t help but notice this, and he also knew why she looked so sad. While the others managed to overcome the loss of Celestia, Twilight couldn’t. And how could she? Celestia was like a second mother to her and it was thanks to her that she had managed to find such great friends. Azrael decided to try to cheer her up… as best he could.

“You must not let the sadness take over you, Twilight Sparkle. There was nothing that we could have done to save her,” said the angel of death.

“I know. But is not only that,” she said, turning her attention to him. “It’s just that I hate feeling so powerless. I know that my friends are always ready to help me but I don’t want it to be one way around. I want to help them too.” She took a slow breath. “You know, when Celestia turned me into an alicorn I was caught unprepared and, I have to admit it, was scared.”

Nothing wrong about that, seeing how abrupt your transformation was, thought the angel of death.

He knew that Twilight Sparkle could be a great ruler. She was smart, had the heart and the brains to face all the challenges, and still had the humility to not be a bragger about it. But the way that Celestia rushed everything always had him worried that she wouldn’t be prepared enough. If the ruler of Equestria had made the rescue of the Crystal Empire as a test rather than just a mission to save it, as well as not allow them to bring the elements of Harmony for a good reason (that being the risk that Sombra would corrupt them with one of his cruel and twisted traps), Azrael would have been very tempted to fly right to Celestia and force her to revert the transformation. But he didn’t speak his thoughts so as to not offend the fallen princess.

“But” Twilight continued, “I thought that being the Princess of Friendship I would have been powerful enough to protect my family and friends, to avoid involving them in dangerous situations. Don’t get me wrong, those girls there are the toughest ponies I have ever met, but I just don’t want to lose them. But I was wrong… so wrong.” Twilight grew silent, lost in grief; but she managed to suppress it and continue. “It seems like every bit of time, I’m losing all of whom I hold dear. The power of Harmony that I have for so long thought to be the most powerful force in Equestria now seems like some stuff made for little girls.” She turned again to Azrael. “How can something so negative like Death be more powerful than a force for good?”

“Death can be perceived as negative because we are Living. In fact Death is far above earthly concepts like good or bad. The true nature of the Pale alicorn is neutral and vary for each individual” explained the angel of death.

“Alright then, but that still doesn’t explain how Death should be above the magic of Harmony,” Twilight pointed out.

“Magic has no real form and it varies for each individual creature. My magic is very similar to his, but other than that is no way near in terms of power. Like I’ve said, I’m just the angel of death, not Death. Just like you Twilight are the Princess of Friendship and thus are not the incarnation of what you take power from. From what I’ve learned magic is tied by the very spirit of the person and in the end of their life such spirit is reaped by the grim reaper. None can escape him,” explained Azrael.

“You make it look like life is so powerless compared to Death,” noted Twilight.

“It can sound like it. I know is hard to accept that Death is so powerful when your very ruler is an immortal being who doesn’t grow old and there are so many powerful spells. But there is more to death that just the end.”

“Sure. I’ve read many writers say that death is only the beginning of a new life.”

“And they would be right, even though I’m afraid that people take such phrase in a way that makes seems Death as just somepony who picks up the souls of the dead. But there is so much more when it come down to it that you can imagine.”

“I guess it is. But why is Death’s magic is different and powerful?”

“Because he was “born” to be so. His duty is not only to lead souls to the beyond to their peace or affliction, he’s the guardian of the Balance. He’s the agent of the Maker. When some force tries to break the stability of the creation he stops him, bring Balance back to his place. Only a being who is neutral can do such work, or else it would lead anyone to support or good or evil, because is impossible for a simple mind, no matter how cunning it is, use that power rightfully and comprehend how limitless they are.”

“And the fact that he was trapped in the Seal? Didn’t that have any consequence of the Balance?” asked Twilight, confused.

“I guess not, or else things would have gone really bad” he said.

“Well, what you’ve said was very interesting, to know, but it doesn’t help to find a solution… unless…” Twilight suddenly had an epiphany.

“Unless?” prompted Azrael, waiting for the alicorn to come up with the answer.

“Unless Sombra couldn’t use all that power because he’s not really the Death. And, sure, for how much good he can be using that relic, he will not be capable to use it at his full potential!”

“I knew you would have arrived to that point,” Azrael stated, confirming her thoughts with a kind smile. Suddenly Twilight got up and nuzzled him, taking him by surprise and leaving him speechless.

“Thanks, Azrael, you’re a true friend!” she said, her sadness completely faded away, then joined her friends. If the Princess of Friendship would have turned her attention back to the angel of death, she would have notice that he looked like somepony had just stabbed him in the heart.

Author's Note:

Next chapter we're going back to the Crystal Empire and we will find out what Chrysalis has in mind.