• Published 5th May 2015
  • 2,123 Views, 21 Comments

Spike's having a......ruff time - DeltaXeno1138



Spike didn't mind being a dog in the human world. Now he has to deal with it in Equestria.

  • ...
3
 21
 2,123

Chapter 2

"......understood him?!""

"That's what Owlowiscious says Twilight"

Spike began to stir and slowly open his eyes as he heard familiar voices. The last thing he remembered, he was in the library getting ready to go to sleep after returning from the Crystal Empire and discovering that he had returned to Equestria as a dog. Then there was just black. His vision cleared as he recognized the roof of Fluttershy's cottage, leaving him to wonder why'd he be there.

"[Indeed]" another voice stated "[I believe It may have to do with his now being a dog. How did that come about by the way?]"

Spike's eyes shot open when he heard the voice, his vision completely clear along with the blackness filling his memory. He shot up to attention, but he had been laying on his back, and in his dog form, he couldn't sit upright. So his legs flayed about as he eventually got up on his legs.

Fluttershy, Twilight, and Owlowiscious all turned suddenly to look at the dragon turned dog as he struggled getting up. He turned to face them, his eyes wide and head quickly shifting between the ponies and the owl. They looked at him with wide eyes before he responded. He realized that he must've fainted and Twilight had brought him to Fluttershy's cottage, but his mind was occupied with his reason for the fainting.

"Who-who-who said that?" Spike asked shakily.

The three individual looked at each other unsurely before Owlowiscious responded. "[I believe that was me Mister Spike. I was just explaining to The Caregiver why you suddenly lost consciousness]"

Spike hurriedly backed away while wearing the same expression of wide eyed uncertainty before being stopped by Fluttershy's couch.

"Ow....Owlowiscious...talk" Spike stammered to the confused and concerned ponies.

"Spike" Fluttershy said in a surprised tone "You understood Owlowiscious?" she finished, stepping forward with a raised hoof and a tone of wonder.

"You-you-you heard him...too?" Spike asked with surprise.

"Of course" Fluttershy responded happily "It is my special talent" she pointed out while looking to her cutie mark.

"Oh-oh yeah" Spike said while nodding his head shakily "That's good. Because I thought I was going CRAZY!"

"Spike, Spike calm down" Twilight said as she hurried over to her adoptive brother, placing a supportive hoof on his shoulder as he panted heavily "I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for this."

"[Yes Mister Spike]" Owlowiscious said "[You should take some deep breaths. You wouldn't want to stress yourself too much.]"

"HahaHA! okay" Spike responded while raising a paw to the owl "If you're so concerned about my well being...I'm gonna need you to not...talk!...right now. I'm still uh, getting a handle on this."

"[Certainly Mister Spike]" Owlowiscious responded with a nod and receiving a nervous laugh from the dog in response.

"Well Spike" Twilight began "I think that your being a dog now allows you to understand other animals. So you're probably going to be hearing a lot more voices from the animals. Ooh! this will be interesting learning experience!" Twilight suddenly grabbed both of Spike's cheeks in her hooves "You have to tell me everything about your conversations so I can take down notes" she said eagerly.

Spike's distress and confusion died down from Twilight's explanation, but was soon replaced by a weirded-out feeling from his adoptive sisters ranting.

"Oh! You could ask that squirrel why he won't move out of our treehouse no matter how many times I have Fluttershy try to convince him."

"Twilight" Spike said slightly muffled from his cheeks being pressed together "Put...me...down." Twilight suddenly realized she had been holding Spike in the air. She had gotten up on her hind legs and began flapping her wings to keep herself up.

Twilight looked up at Spike with a blushing smile before setting him down. "Hehe, sorry. But still, please tell me so I can take down notes."

"Well...okay" Spike said unsurely "but I don't think they're gonna appreciate a one time conversation since I'm going to go back to being a dragon."

"Oh, I could always translate for you Spike" Fluttershy happily offered "That is...if you wanted to."

"Um...thanks for the offer?" Spike replied. He then took a moment to think to himself. "Well...I guess it will be pretty interesting to talk to other animals."

"And take notes" Twilight interjected.

"And take notes" Spike said with a roll of his eyes.

"Actually, Owlowiscious has told me he'd like to have conversations with you" Fluttershy informed "I've offered to translate, but he said he would prefer it to be direct."

Owlowiscious nodded in agreement, bring Spike's attention to him. "Oh yeah, you can go ahead and talk now Owlowiscious."

"[Thank you Mister Spike]" Owlowiscious said gratefully/

"You know you don't have to call me 'Mister' Spike" the dog said with slight amusement.

"He called you mister?" Twilight asked.

"Oh yes, he does that" Fluttershy explained "Owlowiscious is very nice and formal. He even has titles for us."

"Really?" Twilight responded, fascinated "Interesting. What are they?"

"Well, he doesn't really use them too much. He usually uses miss or mister" Fluttershy explained "But for you he has "The Librarian..."

"Oh Owlowiscious" Twilight said bashfully with a wave of her hoof "The Librarian. You charmer, you."

"Really?" Spike said

"He calls me The Caregiver" Fluttershy continued "Pinkie: The Party Planner, AJ: The Worker, Rainbow: Showboater, and Rarity: The Seamstress."

"Rainbow doesn't have 'The' in her name?" Spike wondered.

"[I don't believe showboating deserves a 'The']" Owlowiscious informed.

"Oh" Spike replied and soon explained to Twilight when she asked for a translation.

"Well, we better be heading back" Twilight said after Fluttershy made sure Spike had no outstanding injuries "You need to get some rest Spike, and so does Fluttershy. Thank you by the way for making sure Spike was okay Fluttershy. Sorry to be an imposition."

"Oh no, it's no trouble at all Twilight" Fluttershy said "It is my career after all. I'm more than happy to make sure Spike's okay."

"Thanks Fluttershy" Spike said "I really appreciate it. You're a true friend."

"A true true friend?" Twilight asked cheekily, earning her an annoyed glare from Spike.

"What did we discuss Twilight?"

"Hehe, sorry."

The adoptive siblings and owl exchanged goodnight's with the pegasus and heading back to the library.


Once the trio returned to the library, Spike was surprised to hear that Twilight was going to stay up. She explained that she was going to read up on canine knowledge in order to assist him should he have any other inquiries. Any feelings of surprise in Spike disappeared when Twilight said she would be reading. Spike headed upstairs while Owlowiscious stayed behind to assist Twilight.

"[Have a good rest Mist- I mean, Spike. Sorry to have caused you so much distress.]"

"Ah, it's no problem Owlowiscious" Spike said "Good night." Spike went to bed and fell asleep wondering what the next day would have in store for him.


Spike awoke suddenly in the middle of the night. He rubbed one of his eyes with a paw before getting up out of his bed. He noticed that the only source of illumination was the moonlight streaming down from window. He then heard light snoring and turned to see Twilight asleep in her bed, while technically wearing her blanket, as her wings protruded from two cut holes. He then remembered that this was only the second time that Twilight had attempted sleep after getting wings, humorously recalling their night in the Crystal Empire.

Spike walked down the stairs and noticed Owlowiscious was gone. It wasn't surprising, considering the bird's nocturnal nature. He considered asking Owlowiscious what it was he did when he wasn't in the library during the night.

He then walked into the kitchen and noticed that Twilight had left a bowl out with water for him, the bowl having been labeled "Spike" with a marker. Spike chuckled slightly to himself, recalling having seen so many dog bowls and collars with his name. He took a quick drink before heading back upstairs. He still couldn't discern why he had woken up, since he didn't actually feel thirsty. The answer came to him in the form of a howl.

The sound had startled the pup and caused him to move to the window and gaze out into the night. He soon heard another howl and realized that he had heard one in his sleep. He had dismissed it as a dream. Another howl soon followed, and Spike could actually discern its purpose. The canine was calling out to other dogs. Sort of like a "Hey. Anyone one else out there awake?" Spike's head slightly shifted to the left when he heard another howl, some distance away from the first. The howl was a greeting response "Yo what's up?" which was soon followed by at least five others.

"How's it goin?"

"Sup bitches?"

"I was sleeping!"

"Who wants to meet up at the pond?"

"I'm down"

"Woof woof!"

Spike stared out the window in slight wonder at being able to understand what all these dogs where saying to each other. He noticed that one sounded rather familiar somehow, but he couldn't put his paw on it. He started to feel the urge to open the window and give out a howl himself, maybe announcing himself as a new member to the dog community. He turned upon hearing a quiet and light groan from Twilight's bed, and saw the alicorn put a pillow over her head in her sleep. Spike chuckled to himself and decided against howling when Twilight was sleeping ten feet away.

Spike stood on his hind legs, his forelegs resting on the windowsill as he peacefully listened to the distant howling of the dogs. Once his eyes started to feel heavy, he retreated back to his bed and went back to sleep. As he drifted off, he wondered if he could possibly make some canine friends.


Spike awoke in the morning to the sound of birds chirping and Twilight preparing her breakfast. He stood up and placed his front paws on the floor and stretched out like dogs do. He then gave himself a quick shake to loosen up and headed downstairs for breakfast. He was pleasantly surprised to catch the scent of pancakes upon entering the kitchen.

"Morning Twilight"

"Morning Spike, did you have a good nights sleep?"

"Sure did. Boy, those pancakes smell good. I'll have four please, with plenty of syrup."

"Ehhhh" Twilight cringed "Sorry Spike, but...these are just for me."

"Huh?" Spike was confused, he couldn't recall doing anything bad recently that would revoke his pancake privileges. "Why can't I have any pancakes Twilight? Did I do something wrong?"

"No, of course not" Twilight said quickly "It's just that...I found out in my books that dogs shouldn't really eat a lot of the same things ponies do. Dogs have different dietary requirements and restrictions. I'm afraid...you're not going to be able to eat a few of the things you usually do until you change back."

"Oh" Spike said dejectedly "Well...that sucks. I mean, I knew I wouldn't be able to eat any gems, but I didn't think I wouldn't be able to eat other things. Wait...what am I supposed to have for breakfast then?"

"Actually, I prepared you a salad" Twilight replied happily while lowering a bowl to the ground with her magic, soon accompanied by an apple "And an apple."

"A salad?" Spike questioned "Aw come on Twilight, salad isn't exactly my favorite. Couldn't you just give me one pancake?" Spike looked up at the alicorn with pleading eyes, but they had no affect.

"No can do Spike, we don't want you getting a tummy ache. And I know salad isn't your favorite, but it's really the only thing we have that you can eat. Lettuce, spinach, peas, and carrots. I'll look into getting you some dog food later, and some treats."

Spike grumbled in disappointment, looking down at the bowl with his breakfast salad. He was looking forward to the dog treats, but not so much the dog food, as he hadn't tried the puree or dry pellets in the other world. Suddenly, a brilliant idea formed in the young canine's head. A way to use his new form to his advantage.

"Twilight" he said as he approached his sister, who was busy preparing her plate of pancakes "Could I please have just one pancake?"

"Sorry Spike, but no" Twilight said without turning to address him.

"Please?" he said, refusing to give up.

"No"

"Please?"

"No Spike"

"Pretty please with oats, chocolate chips, cinnamon, whipped cream and a cherry on top?" he said as he stepped back and prepared himself.

"What part of No Don't you understa-" Twilight cut herself off when she turned to face her canine brother while holding her plate with her magic. Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw Spike sitting down with his back straight and his front legs bent in a begging position while he gave her literal puppy dog eyes.

Awwwww Twilight thought to herself How could I resist tha- No! He's doing this on purpose.

Spike continued his begging act while smiling smugly on the inside as Twilight continued to stare. He knew that the alicorn's unfinished sentence was proof his idea was working.

He's jusso cute and innocent Twilight thought in a baby voice No he isn't! This is a ruse! But those eyes!

Spike then gave a begging whine and pawed at the air with one of his paws. The purple princess practically broke right there, but her instinct was able to kick in.

I'm gonna give him a whole stack! Why do I see purple feathers? Twilight brought her head back to see that her wings had somehow extended and covered her face to shield her from the cuteness gaze.

"Oh come on!" Spike exclaimed after Twilight shielded herself, which made Twilight smile triumphantly from behind her wings.

"Ha, didn't break me. Now I said no, and that's final. So eat your salad like a good bo- I mean brother" Twilight turned away and removed her wings and moved to the table with her plate of pancakes.

Spike stepped to his salad bowl and apple and looked up at the table. "Can't I eat at the table?"

"Sorry Spike, but even if you had a stool, you wouldn't reach" Twilight explained slightly sorrowfully.

"Can't you give me some books to sit on?"

"And get dirty paw prints on them?" Twilight asked in disbelief, resulting in an eye roll from her brother.

"Fine" Spike conceded and reached his head down to take a dejected bite of his salad. He raised his eyebrows slightly upon noticing there was the smallest modicum of improvement to the taste as he munched. He had no problem eating the rest before moving on to his apple. Twilight smiled happily at Spike's...not happiness but she didn't really want to say compliance, but it was the only thing she could think of. She then smiled and chuckled silently to herself at seeing Spike struggle with his apple. He had turned it on its side and its smooth surface combined with the clean hardwood caused the apple to slip out of his paws before he could take a bite. This continued for a few seconds until he finally grabbed it in his teeth first, then held on and was finally successful in eating it.

Once the adoptive siblings were finished with their breakfast Twilight washed their dishes while Spike took a drink from his bowl. Suddenly his head raised before he darted for the door and started to frantically scratch at it, drawing Twilight's attention. She hurriedly walked into the living room to see Spike's frantic scratching.

"Twilight!" Spike said urgently "I gotta go! Now!"

Considering his urgent behavior, Twilight decided to wait to address his doglike action. "One or two?"

"One" Spike responded urgently.

Twilight opened the door to allow him out. Spike immediately dashed outside, followed by Twilight, who saw him standing behind a bush next to the library.

"Turned away from the library mister!"

"Right" Spike replied before doing a one eighty, his gaze now facing the library. After doing his business, Twilight informed him they would be going over to Fluttershy's for a check up. When questioned about this since they had been over the night before, she clarified that that was just to check that he hadn't injured himself and this was to make sure there were now apparent irregularities. Spike saw the logic and walked with her through town to Fluttershy's cottage.

As they walked through town, Spike noticed some new voices and looked to see they were coming from the few birds and a couple of squirrels. He paid no attention to their...conversations and instead took joy in mares taking notice of him. They petted him and scratched his ears, which Twilight didn't mind until the eleventh time they had to stop.

The pair finally managed to reach Fluttershy's cottage after a few more stops, and at one point a freak out from a pony who heard Spike talk. They entered to find Fluttershy feeding her woodland friends. "Oh hello Twilight, Spike. You're here for the checkup right?"

"Hello Fluttershy" Twilight responded first "And yes we are."

"*sigh* Let's get this over with" Spike said, exasperated.

"Okay Mr. Dramatic" Twilight responded sarcastically "You've spent a little too much time with Rarity. Now behave while Fluttershy gives you your checkup."

"Actually, I could use your help getting a bag of feed down first Twilight, that is...if you wouldn't mind, unless you'd like me to give Spike his checkup first, then we could do it after, unless you don't really like lifting heavy things, then maybe I could ask Mr. Bear to help, unless you're worried he be to big to fit in the kitchen-"

"Fluttershy, Fluttershy" Twilight speedily interrupted with a chuckle "It's fine, I'd be happy to help."

"Oh, okay, thank you" Fluttershy responded gratefully "Sorry if I rambled."

"No worries Fluttershy" Twilight replied "It's fun when one of us has a Pinkie moment."

Fluttershy chuckled in agreement as they made their way to the kitchen. Fluttershy told Spike he could wait in the living room and make use of the dog toys she had strewn about the floor. Spike was tempted, but he decided against it, as he was still getting used to his dog mannerisms.

Suddenly, Spike heard the sound of another dog's panting and running, which was approaching him. Just as he turned, he found himself on his back, having been tackled by the dog he heard. He rubbed his head before opening his eyes to see a close up version of the face of a very familiar, and happy canine.

"[Hi! I'm Winona! What's your name? I haven't seen you before, Hey you look kinda familiar, You smell kinda familiar too, Who's your master? Are they new too? Are they nice? Do you wanna play?!]"

"Winona no! Down girl!" came Fluttershy's stern reply as she and Twilight returned from the kitchen.

"[Oh no!]" Winona said as she jumped off of Spike and approached Fluttershy "[Did I make you angry Caretaker? I'm so sorry! Please don't be upset!]"

"Don't worry Winona, I'm not upset" Fluttershy said "You just need to remember it's not polite to jump on dogs you don't know. Well...technically you do know this one, but still."

"[Yes Caretaker]" Winona replied "[I'm glad you're not upset with me. What did you mean when you said I knew this dog?]"

"Oh yes" Fluttershy remembered before pointing to Spike, who had raised his head to look questioningly at the exchange "This is actually Spike. You remember him don't you?"

"[The Royal Librarian's big lizard assistant?]" she asked while cocking her head at Spike, who was still taking in his understanding of Winona.

"Dragon Winona" Fluttershy specified "It's not nice to call dragons big lizards."

"Royal Librarian?" Spike asked with an amused smile as he picked himself up.

"She means a librarian who's royalty" Fluttershy specified "Not a librarian working for royalty."

"Winona calls me Royal Librarian" Twilight also asked with an amused smile.

"[Would you prefer Princess Librarian your highness?]" Winona genuinely asked Twilight, who received a half chuckled translation from Fluttershy.

"Oh well, she doesn't have to" Twilight gushed with the slightest tint of pink to her cheeks "Unless she wants to of course."

"[As you wish Princess Librarian]" Winona replied before turning back to the silently chuckling Flutters "[So how could Princess Librarian's dragon assistant be a dog now?]"

"Magic" Fluttershy explained, deciding not to give the collie information she wouldn't really get much of.

"[Ah. May I give Spike a proper hello as you call it?"]

"Of course" Fluttershy permitted as she indicated to the spectating Spike.

Winona approached Spike and sat down before addressing him. "[Hi. I'm Winona. But since you're Spike I guess you knew that already. I'm sorry about tackling you earlier. I just get excited when I meet a new dog. Even though you're not actually new.]"

"Uh...hi Winona" Spike said a little awkwardly "Don't worry about it. Not the biggest surprise I've gotten since I came back as a dog." Spike's eyebrows formed a V when Winona suddenly stepped forward and began to sniff his behind. He stepped away after a second with a questioning look. "Um...what are you doing?"

"[That's how dogs say hello]"

"Oh yeah" Spike said, recalling that he had heard that piece of information "Well then I'm glad I'll be going back to being a dragon in thirty days. I don't really want to get used to that."

"[You're not gonna stay a dog?]"

"No. In fact, me being a dog was sort of a hiccup."

"[Oh]" Winona turned back to Fluttershy, who had been enjoying the cute exchange with Twilight "[Can I play with Spike Caretaker?]"

"Of course you can Winona, after I give Spike his checkup."

"[Great!]" Winona replied before departing for the kitchen for some food and water.

"Follow me this way Spike" Fluttershy said as she led Spike into another room, followed by Twilight.


After Spike received his checkup, most of which he had Twilight step outside for to spare himself of further embarrassment, he exited with Fluttershy into the living room, where Winona was waiting on her back. She stood up happily when she saw Spike return.

"[Hey Spike, how'd the check up go?]"

"...Fine"

"[Kind of embarrassing?]" Winona asked knowingly.

"Yeah"

"[I know how you feel. You get used to it. It's better when your owner isn't right there. That's why I'm glad my master usually stays back home.]"

"Alright Spike" Twilight began "Me and Fluttershy are going to chat for a bit, meanwhile you can play with Winona."

"[Okay. Sounds like fun]"

Fluttershy and Twilight tilted their heads curiously at Spike's barked response, but brushed it off. "Okay then...have fun you two."

"So..." Spike said as he and Winona were left alone "What would you like to do? I don't have much experience playing as a dog. I've really only played with a balloon."

"[How bout a rope wrestle?]" Winona asked happily.

"...Sure?" Spike said, unaware of what a "rope wrestle" was.

Winona walked behind Fluttershy's couch and ran back carrying a rope chew toy which she shook lightly when she stopped. Spike raised an eyebrow as Winona looked on expectantly, her tail wagging. "[Grab on]" came Winona's eager and muffled reply. Spike complied and grabbed the other end in his teeth, pulling the rope toy up. He was suddenly pulled lightly by a tug from Winona, which he reciprocated. It wasn't long before the pair were speedily moving about Fluttershy's cottage, attempting to take the rope from each other.

Winona was eventually able to get it for herself, but that didn't stop Spike. "Oh no you don't" he said as he began to chase her around the room, all the while laughing and calling after her. "Get back here! I'm gonna getcha! [Hand over the rope!]"

Winona eventually got tired and leapt up onto the couch, followed by the equally tired Spike, who still made for the rope and grabbed it in his teeth. The two playfully tugged at the rope from their own ends without much effort, eventually collapsing on the couch and releasing the toy. The two dogs layed on their backs on the couch, panting happily and tired in typical dog manner. "[That was fun]" Spike said "[I never knew I could have that much fun hanging out with you of all...individuals Winona]" Spike said while turning his head to adress his playmate.

"[Ditto Spike]" Winona replied "[And it looks like you're getting the barking down.]"

"[Huh?]"

"[Excuse me!]"

The two dogs got up to their feet and looked down to the source of the irritated voice. A white bunny that they were both, unfortunately familiar with.

"[Oh great]" the two dogs said simultaneously, causing them to look at each other for a second before turning back.

"[You're in my spot]" Devi- I mean Anti Chri- I mean Damie- I mean Angel Bunny said in a very annoyed tone.

"[Oh come off it Angel]" Winona replied "[Since when it is your spot?]"

"[Since I sat there way before you did and named it mine, Winny]"

"[I told you not to call me that]" Winona growled in a low voice.

"[Wow]" Spike chimed in "[Just when I thought he couldn't get more annoying. Now I can understand him.]"

"[Okay I don't know who you are]" Angel said, now addressing Spike "[But since you're new, I should tell you I've got a bit more pull with Mother, so I could have you called off that couch and put outside in a heartbeat.]"

"Angel!" came the outraged reply of the bunny's "mother".

"[Oh hi Mother]" Angel said to Fluttershy, putting on a mask of innocence.

"That is not how we talk to our guests, new or otherwise" Fluttershy said as she entered the room with Twilight in tow "And he isn't new. This is Spike, Twilight's dragon assistant. He's been temporarily tunred into a dog through magic, and I expect you to be on your best behavior when you two are playing together while he's like this."

"[Of course Mother]" Angel replied happily, earning an eye roll from Winona "[I wouldn't do anything to upset you.]"

"[From this point on you mean?]" Winona asked smugly in a hushed voice so only Spike and Angel would hear. Angel scowled and his ears drooped while Spike chuckled under his breath.

"Wait" Spike said "Sorry to interrupt, but doesn't 'when you two are playing while he's like this' imply I'll be spending more time with him?" Something he really had no intention of.

"Well you will be coming over for a weekly check up during this time Spike" Twilight informed.

"Oh" Spike replied dejectedly.

"You could still play with Winona when she's here" she offered.

"Oh" Spike replied happily, his tail wagging "Well that's good."

"[I can't wait]" Winona barked happily "[I don't have too many dog friends to play with.]"

"Okay Spike" Twilight "We should get back home. It's late and you want to be well rested."

"Couldn't we stay a little longer?" Spike asked "I was hoping to play with Winona a bit more."

"Sorry Spike" Fluttershy responded "But Applejack will be here soon to take Winona home."

"Aw man. Wait, hey Twilight, could I go over to Sweet Apple Acres tomorrow?" He hopefully asked Twilight "I don't have much to do tomorrow anyway since I won't really be able to sweep or mop."

"Uh huh" Twilight said smugly "I don't see why not. Oh wait, aren't you going over to Rarity's tomorrow?"

"Oh yeah" Spike said slightly confused. How could I forget about going over to Rarity's?! "I guess I could go over after."

"I suppose there's no harm in that" Twilight concluded "Alright then, you can go after Rarity's."

"[Great!]" Spike barked happily.

The two exited Fluttershy's cottage and headed for the library, bidding the pegaus goodbye. Spike stopped when he heard Winona call out to him. "[Bye Spike! I can't wait for you to come over tomorrow!]"

"[Bye Winona! Me too!]"

Twilight thought the barking exchange between the two was cute, not knowing that Spike was unaware of his own barking.

Author's Note:

And then there were 2. Came out longer than I expected.

So what's up with Spike and the barking?

And the Rarity visit was a pre set date. There, happy?

Oh yeah and hint/observation concerning the next chapter: Isn't there a certain kind of animal living in Rarity's house?

And yes, Winona did have a Pinkie moment and it wasn't her first or last.