• Published 30th Apr 2015
  • 423 Views, 4 Comments

Lunaria Borealis - EquestrianKirin



"The world had fallen into deep cold and weak light. How long shall it be until the world had turned into ice and snow...?"

  • ...
 4
 423

Ch.5: The Crow Moon

It had just been about a week since Tal, Seven and Vinrod had since found and kept Cluutie the Thunderwyrm. As much as Seven had trouble with more members into the group, Cluutie didn't really bother Seven all that much unless Seven tried to get her lost, thus getting electrocuted each time. By that point, Seven no longer bothered to get rid of Cluutie, not wanting to get electrocuted much anymore. As for Vinrod, that letter message was still on his mind, and the simple phrase 'One More' still drifting around in his dome. What did it mean? Was there just one more threat to face, or one more friend to bring? Either way, it was something Vinrod had to really answer at some point on their trip, Vinrod and Seven both heading south for different reasons bigger than what the letter implied.

While the land began to warm up due to them heading south, the cool nights were still evident each time they took a rest during the moonless times. Snow wasn't very common anymore, but it was still cold enough for snow to fall. The area the group were going through was a bit rocky, ground hard and dry without much rain around. Trees weren't too much of evidence, only a few very tall sticks one wouldn't think were trees, bare without leaves. While spring was starting, no season seemed to grip hold here. While going through, Vinrod was boredly kicking around a couple of stones, as Tal and Seven trailed behind. Cluutie still settled on Tal's back, sleeping through the days.

"Seven, you're a traveller, do you know where we are?" Tal asked eventually.

"No, I just fly around, I don't exactly track landmarks so no," Seven answered, hovering ahead to Vinrod.

"Don't worry, we should be fine," Vinrod stated, looking back to them both. While going through the dry land, by one of the dead trees, suddenly the group saw a bird perched up on one of its branches, cawing like a raven would. They didn't pay much mind of it at first until it flew at them, giving a quick peck at all of them before flying ahead.

*peck* "OW!"

*peck* "Ouch!"

*peck* "Hey!"

The raven was far ahead by the time all 3 got themselves together. Despite of that, they continued on for a while more down through the dry area of the world. As they continued, they all heard a distinct commotion: more crows. They kept walking for a while more until they noticed something else on a group of dead trees ahead...

Eyes...lots of eyes...

Covering the trees, a huge murder of crows were watching them like vultures, looking with a firm expression. The look made Vinrod, Seven and Tal all stop moving, looking at the huge amount of birds watching them, a huge group of black feathers and beaks looking right at them.

"There just standing there...Watching us..." Vinrod thought. Seven scratched his head.

"I think I read this somewhere before. something about psychotic birds or something," Seven said while looking at them.

"What kind of book has that kind of story?" Tal asked, confused.

"You two quiet. Lets just walk slowly around, no sudden movements," Vinrod advised, beginning to walk around the murder of birds. Seven and Tal followed his lead and tried going around the birds, as they eyed them. At first, the slip seemed to be working, but then Cluutie took the second to wake up, and saw the crows too. A fear-filled screeched filled the air, and caused the birds to go in a frenzy, charging at them while cawing like crazy. Vinrod, Tal and Seven were bombarded by beak and crow's feet. The three tried their best to get the crazy crows away, but the they were quickly overwhelmed by the birds for a while until one in particular made a loud caw, one that travelled over the others, as the murder of crows flew back in the trees. Another crow then landed down in front of them, along with a few subordinates, though these grows looked a bit different, slightly taller than the others.

"What the heck?"

"I don't think you want to keep mocking them anymore, Seven," Vinrod said, rubbing some scratches on his face and horns. Seven snorted.

"So what, crows are just some dumb psychobirds."

"Watch your mouth, bug boy!" The crow squawked out. Seven, Tal and Vinrod took quite a surprise to that; seemed the Crows are saintiant to some degree. At least these crows were compared to the rest.

"W-wha?! You can talk?!"

The leading crow of the Murder flew in Seven's face.

"Course I can talk, Cuz I'm a bird doesn't mean I'm pea brained!" The crow snapped, making Seven step back.

"We're sorry mr.crow but -"

"Hey, Mr.Crow's my uncle. I'm Sargent Smoke," the Crow corrected, wing on the Crows chest. Vinrod, Tal and Seven just glanced at one another before replying.

"Ok uh, Sargent Smoke. We didn't mean to cause any trouble, we were just passing through, honest," Tal explained. However, Sargent Smoke just gave a huff as he hovered in front of them.

"That's what many say. Murder, bring them back to the boss," Sargent Smoke ordered, the Crows starting to fly around them, forcing the three to start moving again. Seven tried to get them to quit attacking him, but it wasn't very effective to the murder of crows forcing them along. Vinrod and Tal weren't much better either. They didn't really have much choice...

~~

While being moved along, Vinrod, Seven and Tal were still being roughly moved along by the crows. For birds about half their size, they have rather tough behaviour as they peak and attack any of them who move out of line. The sphinx, Dragonequus and Changling just moved along as they continued through the dry, cold, night hillsides. Suddenly, the group of crows suddenly took flight, and flew off ahead, leaving the three alone. However, none of them thought of running, in worry the crows would pick them off again. Where the murder was going was what peaked their interest. The crows were flying towards a GARGANTUAN tree, far larger than any normal tree. The bark was pure black, as branches stretched out in all directions, deprived of leaves. It stood tall within a valley, though looked skyscraper tall. Vinrod, Tal and Seven all simply thought over for a bit more, but Sargent Smoke moved them along. Seven tried to fly off, but a bunch of crows already forced him on the ground so he wouldn't fly away. Eventually, all three were right by the tree, right at the base, as Sergeant Smoke stood forward, and made a very loud caw towards the tree.

The three suddenly heard a much louder, lowered cawing sound, as they all were suddenly covered by a bird's shadow. A huge shape of feathers landed down in front of them. To put it simply, it was a Crow the size of a Minotaur! The leading giant crow had a necklace lined with stones and white feathers, a striped feather in the middle. Sargent Smoke gave a salute with his wing to the giant crow.

"We've scouted these trespassers along our eastern borders, we've brought them in as soon as they were spotted," Sargent Smoke explained, as the giant crow eyed them down.

"At ease, Sergeant," the giant crow ordered, as Smoke relaxed a bit, Vinrod, Tal and Seven stood still, Cluutie curled up in worry. Vinrod was confronted first by the giant crow after he looked over the group, it's beak aimed directly at him.

"An odd group, aren't you? A Sphinx, a Dragonequus, and a Changeling going together, and adding a Thunderwyrm too. A mistake going over our borders," the Crow said, actually kinda amused by their look.

"We're very sorry, sir."

"You should be, no one goes through our borders without clearance."

"But I thought birds -"

Suddenly, Tal was slapped by the crow's wing in order to keep her quiet, startling Seven and Vinrod. Seven waited to beat up the bird, but Vinrod kept him down as the giant crow leaned in close.

"You do not speak unless you're spoken to, you do not shout out unless I let you, do I make myself clear?" The crow ordered, quick and firm-toned.

"Y-yes sir," Tal muttered nervously, as the crow stood upright in front of the three. However, Seven wasn't having anymore of it. Before Vinrod could stop him, Seven began his words.

"Back off, birdbrain, or I'll -"

"Make one move, and I kill her."

The message was short and quick, but Seven got the message. To assure it though, Vinrod pulled him back and covered his mouth so he wouldn't make anymore outbursts. After everything had settled down, the crow spoke again.

"As I was saying, nobody goes through without clearance, and you three had crossed the line. You, stripes, why are you here?"

"We didn't mean to cause any trouble, we were just passing through. We didn't even know there was anyone here," Vinrod explained, though his weakened voice made it rough for the crow to hear him.

"Speak up, Sphinx."

"I can't. This is as loud as I can get to."

The crow turned to the Changling next, Seven still fuming.

"Why are you here?"

"He told you already, but we're passing through, nothing else," Seven answered, as the crow let Tal stand up on her feet. The giant crow snorted at him, obviously not really believing him all and all. So, in the end, the crow stood fully up and looked around amongst the murder of crows.

"Spies. Take them into custody!" The crow leader yelled, the group of smaller crows attacking them again. Vinrod, Tal, Cluutie and Seven were forced away from the tree, and the giant crow went back to the tree. Course, there was struggle in it, as each bird attacked them into submission. Seven fought the most, but even he couldn't get the stubborn birds away as they were pushed along, as they were being observed by the Crow leader. As he was being observed, suddenly the giant Crow lifted a wing, aiming right at him.

"Not the Changling. Send the other two to prison hold, send the Changeling to the Infirmary."

Seven was easily lifted and split away from the other two, as Vinrod and Tal struggled some more. Whatever was in store for them, it wasn't any good.

~~

Sometime later, the entire group was taken to a entirely different location: a sort of dead forest under the everlasting moonlight. Many of the trees were a bit big, spreading out in the valley nearby the main tree. Vinrod, Tal and Cluutie were ushered into a prison cell, which was really a old tree with bars to keep them inside it. The birds threw them in, and locked them up. Vinrod tried to get out, but it wasn't much used.

"Oh no," Tal sighed.

"I hope Seven's okay."

Meanwhile, the Changeling in question was being moved to an entirely different area, that Infirmary the leading Crow spoke of earlier. The infirmary, instead of near the trees, was put within a cave, under high guard by some more crow guards. The Changeling was thrown inside as the gates locked up tight, the leading Crow looking him down as he tried to get out of the bars.

"You'll pay for this birdbrain!" Seven snapped, gnawing on the bars. The leader Crow just snorted at him, as he went off into the sky, leaving behind some black feathers. Some of the crows remain on guard in the nearby trees, watching over Seven's cell. The last thing he'd expected: being trapped by a bunch of Crows. Only good thing was he didn't had to report this to the horde. However, what the heck was he gonna do?

"Buckin birds," Seven groaned. Seven didn't know what he did wrong, nor knew why he was being in confinement for just entering a Crow territory. What's worse, Vinrod and Tal were imprisoned too. He knew just a basic run out won't work, the escape being immediately reported in by the Crows in the trees. How the heck can he get them out?

"Argh, dumb birds! Come on, Seven, think think think," Seven said to himself, trying to come up with an idea before the moonless hours would come around, when it'll be too dark to do anything. They had to get out, and they had to get out at the moment! However, Seven couldn't think of anything to do for the moment, the Changeling laid down at the back of his cell, still trying to think. As he laid down, he noticed a small group of ants going through his cell into the wall. Then an idea came in his head, but, it was a risky chance.

"Can I?...Well, it's now or never..."

From outside, the Crows suddenly saw a quick flash of green light coming from the cell, which sent the Crows in a panic, as they flew down to the cell. When they looked in, they all realized that Seven had disappeared!

"W-where is he?!"

"We have to report this in!"

The Crows quickly began to fly, but, before they could go, Seven suddenly reappeared in green flames, and tackled all of them to the ground, knocking them out on the hard earth. Seven got off of the passed out birds, and checked to make sure their panic wasn't heard.

"There. Now for a true disguise. K, focus..."

Seven looked directly at one of the Crows, and with a green flaming flash, the Changeling turned himself into one of the crows, matched to perfection, black feathers and everything. Standing by the past out birds, he took flight with his new bird wings, getting off the ground with some effort and sometime to get used to. Changing flight work was something Seven had to get down pact, otherwise the odd flying would be something for suspicions. While managing to fly into one of the many trees, Seven looked around, trying to find out where Vinrod and Tal had gone. Being in the forest though, it wasn't easy to figure out down to a tee. The Changeling-turned-Crow started to fly around for a while longer in the moonlight for a bit, until he saw a small group of Crows fly over to him.

"You there! What are you waiting for?!"

"Excuse me?"

"The leader, he's calling us in for a meeting, get going!"

A meeting? Now?! Sometime for Seven to turn into a Crow. A quick glance back at the guards, and he got an idea.

"I'll be there in a sec, I have to get the guards over here," Seven said, and he flew off back to his prison cell to get the other Crows as the other group flew off. Seven landed by the other knocked out guards and quickly gave a loud Crow screech, getting them up fast. Slightly off guard, Seven took the chance to get the message to them.

"The leader's having a meeting, come on, let's go!" Seven ordered. Quickly, the Crows flew right off in the air, Seven following. If he didn't go, he would easily be found, so he had to get going. Besides, he could find his friends easier this way.

~~

After some flight, and following the Crows, Seven managed to find the murder of Crows flying right back to the deep old tree, where they were first taken. the leading Crow stood boldly in front of his comrades, as they all landed in military rows. Seven found a spot towards the middle of the rows, so he wouldn't be spotted and caught as easily, as the rest of the birds got in their formation. His disguise worked like a charm, no Crow suspected a thing, as the leader checked the crowd of Crows.

"Attention!"

All the crows looked on ahead, and silenced, fully upright and stiff. Seven followed their lead as the leader waited for the noise to quiet down.

"At ease."

The crows calmed down, but all remained looking forward and quiet.

"Comrades! As most of you are well aware, one of our patrolling squads had discovered spies along our borders. That must mean that more enemies are scouted nearby, so we must take the fight to the enemy! You all had been training for many months, and your skills had sharpened. First of all, I want to congratulate you on your improvements over the past months. Now, back to the matter."

The leader Crow spread his left wing, signalling his higher Sergeants to unravel a flag. Seven could see the picture of a large Crow, overpowering a Changeling.

"No wonder he brought us in. This murder despises Changelings," Seven thought, as the leader continued.

"Now then, as you know, Changelings had been threatening our kind for a long time, and now they had the raw nerve to send a spy into our territory. We must stop the competition before they have the chance to finish us off! I expect each and every one of you to fight for what we have, cowering will not be an option, do you all understand?"

"SIR, YES SIR!" All the Crows said, catching Seven off guard.

"I expect the best out of each and every one of you, I expect the Changelings to look up in the sky and bow in our might! Not all of you will come back, but your death will be remembered by birds everywhere. Your death will be of honour. They sent us the spy so they will have an advantage. Well, I say DEATH TO THE CHANGELINGS!"

The murder of Crows all cheered for their valiant leader. All except Seven, who was still trying to comprehend the whole 'Crow Changeling hatred' thing. After all, he never had heard of such a rivalry from Queen Mantis before, so it must just be from a local horde. In fact, the news left him rather shaken up. The leading Crow raised both wings to quiet down the crowd around him, as they returned to their positions.

"Now then, Crows, we had successfully gathered some information about our Changeling horde, and we'll use that to what use it brought forth. Sargent, bring down the map," the leader ordered. The Crow brought down a large map of the area, including the Crow, and Changeling territory. Some other Crows suddenly brought over more light so everyone could see, Seven included, as the leader began to speak again.

"Alright comrades, as you can see, our forces had been dwindling down from various Crow forests due to the Changelings, but thanks to some of our own scouts, we've discovered a weak point within the Changeling Horde. What this weak point is? The scouts had discovered a literal death trap within the Changling Territory, discovering escaping gas within the trenches. If we can lure a large group in there and ignite, we can cripple the Changling horde by a large mile, evening our playing field." The news was making Seven more and more uncomfortable. Even if disguised as a Crow, securing his own safety, the fact he was listening to a potential Changeling genocide made him more worried on being caught...

"I expect bravery, but I'm not sending all of you there. Once that's ignited, there's no way out. So I call upon one of you to lure them off... Your sacrifice will be renowned. Step forward if you wish to take on the task."

To Seven's surprise, one of the Crows almost immediately flew up to the leader's feet, saluting him. Seven knew that Changelings would sacrifice their lives for their ruler in a heartbeat, but this wasn't to just protect their leader, this was to take down the enemy - a suicide mission! Not even a Changeling would do that so quickly, and without hesitation.

"Sir, I wish to take on the mission, sir!"

"You do realize there's no turning back from this decision comrade."

The Crow bowed down in the leader's presence. What the Crow said next shook Seven soul...

"My family was killed by those creatures, sir. Our kind are suffering. I no longer have anything keeping me in this world. With this sacrifice, I can return to my loved ones, and save my kind from execution. I'll be more than honored to do the deed, Lord Darkshade."

The leader Crow, Darkshade, gave a nod.

"That's what I like to hear, comrade. State your name."

"Starfeather, sir."

Darkshade looked to the rest of the Crows.

"All of you, remember that name and remember it well! Starfeather, head to the trench, await until the time's right," Darkshade ordered, as Starfeather flew off to seal his fate. All Seven could do was watch...

"For the rest of you, troops must be on standby until the explosion takes place. The sacrifice will be our signal to attack the horde. All goes to plan, they'll be deeply outnumbered by us Crows. No one shall be late, the second that goes off, we go too, that understood?"

"SIR, YES SIR!"

"THATS what I wanna hear! Our plan will begin in 11 hundred hours, suit up and be ready! Tonight, the ground will stain with the blood of our enemy! MOVE OUT!"

The murder of Crows all agree and began to fly off. Even if it was still early before that happens, Seven was all up in arms on the whole thing. He took off with the rest and split himself off soon as he was out of range from Darkshade's sight. After splitting up from the murder, the disguised Changeling flew helter skelter to find where Vinrod and Tal were. Stuck in a dead forest didn't make that any easier, as all of the trees looked the same. Seven had to rely on his wit for this part...

"Come on guys, where are you? Wait...There!"

Seven quickly flew down, seeing Vinrod and Tal by the gate. However, since he was still a Crow, the two in the cage weren't happy to see him.

"You again?"

"Hey guys, I'm glad you're safe."

"OH sure, some humor... You know, I could go for some crow's feet right now," Tal said, licking her lips. Seven looked at her, but realized he's still disguised. Before he could do anything, Cluutie saw him as a threat, and suddenly electrocuted Seven, forcing him to turn back into a Changeling - though still a bit singed -. Seven took a minute to balance himself as Vinrod and Tal fully recognized him.

"Seven, it's you, you okay buddy?" Vinrod asked. Seven didn't answer as he opened the gate, getting them out. Vinrod and Tal started to run, but Seven stayed still, taking them by surprise...

"Seven, are you okay?"

"...I need your help..."