• Published 14th May 2012
  • 6,027 Views, 189 Comments

Home is Where the Heart is - smileyfacer



Scootaloo struggles to know she is an orphan and wants nothing more than a family of her own.

  • ...
6
 189
 6,027

Chapter 10

Scootaloo was never excited about school, but ponies would think that when the weekend arrived, the excitement would show. Whereas the filly would usually sleep in on her first day of the week off, and then quickly get a move on to Sweet Apple Acres for crusading, it didn't happen.

Neither did it Sunday.

Instead of crusading with Sweetie Belle and Applebloom, the orange pegasus stayed in bed - preferably all day.

Scootaloo had always considered her self a tough pony, and was proud of the fact. Even more so, she was proud that she was always the one who stood up for herself, and not to mention her friends. But she wondered what happened this past week, and the past weeks that had come before it.

Why had she suddenly become so weak? Why had she felt so unloved and unappreciated?

Annoyed with herself like never before, and now also the fact that it was now Monday, Scootaloo groaned at the sound of the morning bell.

"Awaken my little ponies, time for breakfast." the headmistress chirped, and giggled at the choir of groans that emitted from the common room.

Scootaloo had yet to identify the other foals who had talked so poorly about her, which also meant the one who had defended her.

The clattering of hooves on the stone floor seemed to drown out the gloomy thoughts, and before Scootaloo knew it, she was in the kitchen, having a meager breakfast, as she 'wasn't really hungry', on her way to school, and finally sat down in her seat right between Applebloom and Sweetie Belle, both of them staring at her as if they Nightmare Moon had sat between them. She knew that many hours of interrogation awaited her. Fortunately for Scootaloo, both of the fillies knew that Cherilee was tolerant about many things, but not talking during class.

"Good morning, class!" the mare chimed, and smiled widely at her students.

"Good morning, miss Cherilee!" the class replied, obvious signs of boredom already showing on some of the faces.

This was gonna be a loooooong day...


And long it was indeed, but the unicorn and farm pony didn't hesitate one moment to start asking questions. Questions that Scootaloo couldn't, and wouldn't answer if she could get away with it.

"Where ya been all weekend, Scoots? Haven't seen ya around the farm, at all!" Applebloom chirped, and smiled widely at her pegasus friend. Her hopes of Scootaloo sharing more than the pegasus should, were obvious in her eyes.

"Just been at home, Applebloom. The headmistress didn't think my week of detention was enough punishment, so she made me stay home." Scootaloo lied, without hesitation. The filly almost felt physically sick, as she realized how easy she lied to her best friends. It took her mere seconds to come up with a lie, but it seemed that the more she lied, the less she cared about the truth. Scootaloo kept wondering if it was a bad thing for her to lie to her friends. Part of her rejected the thought; she's only lying to spare her friends of the awful truth.

But they're my best friends! Don't they deserve the truth?

All of this thinking made Scootaloo's head ache, and she groaned inwardly, before putting up a fake smile and shrug helplessly.

"What can you do, eh?"

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle shared a look, before turning their attention to Scootaloo once more.

"Suppose so. Wanna do some crusading after school?"

Scootaloo smiled widely, but inside, she couldn't imagine a more horrendous thing to do. The simple thought of spending time with those two, constantly talking about their sisters; how annoying and overprotective they were, or their desires to get their cutiemarks, either upset or angered her endlessly.

At least they have sisters. At least they have someone who cares.

"Hay yeah! I've been thinking about some really cool things over the weekend, now that I was stuck doing nothing. I was thinking about juggling, hoof-ball, rock-climbing, and some other things! What do ya say?"

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle cheered loudly, although with some objections at the rock-climbing, but they were in, and the crusaders quickly made their way to the farm.

The excitement that Scootaloo usually possessed was back, but neither two of the crusaders thought of how false it actually was. The orange filly had gotten better on putting on a facade; one that Applebloom and Sweetie Belle hadn't noticed at all, and although Scootaloo wanted them both to break it and stomp it to pieces, she wouldn't let them. Deep down, she longed for someone to break the wall that she so steadily had created, and let them into her heart.

But it seemed that the two fillies weren't strong enough, and it would require much more force for that wall to Scootaloo's heart to break.


"Twilight, I need your help."

Those very words were something that the scholared pony didn't hear much, and especially not from Rainbow Dash. In fact, Twilight was sure that the mere word 'help' wasn't included in the cyan mare's dictionairy, and the same went for Applejack. Nonetheless, the lavender pony smiled widely, and turned towards the pegasus.

"Sure, Rainbow. What can I help you with?" Twilight asked, and continued her steady pace around the library, levitating a few books around to maintain order.

"Well, you see, um. It's kind of... important," the mare slowly said, and glanced around the library to make sure no one heard, "I need some books on how to raise foals..."

"What?!"

All the books previously kept safe in the air, tumbled towards the floor with a loud thud. Twilight didn't even bother to check on her precious books, but instead she closed all windows, pulled the curtains and locked the doors, before almost colliding with Rainbow Dash in shock.

"Rainbow Dash! Are you...?"

"Yes, Twilight. I am pregnant."

Twilight's jaw hit the floor with a crash, and both ears and eyes twitched as the librarian tried to comprehend what she had just been told. But it only took her a few seconds to recover, and quickly started to ramble.

"Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! How can you be pregnant! How irresponsible are you, you're so not suited to be a mother yet! Who's the father," she cried, suddenly grapping Rainbow Dash, staring wildly into her eyes, "Who's the father?!"

A sudden burst of laughter emitted from Rainbow Dash, falling in the floor. Twilight groaned in annoyance, turning her back on the cyan mare, almost in tears from the prank she pulled on her lavender friend.

"Haha! Twilight, you're too easy! That was so awesome," Rainbow laughed, before standing up straight, and staring at Twilight, a mix of emotions evident in her eyes, "but what do you mean with 'not suited to be a mother'? And 'irresponsible'!"

Twilight huffed loudly, and continued to reorganize the books who fell to the floor as her magic had stopped, not bothering to reply the cyan mare. Suddenly hurt by the librarians words, Rainbow Dash's head and wings hung low.

"Am I not fit to be a mother?"

Twilight had her back turned against the pegaus, but she bit her lip in regret of the words she had said. She rushed getting the books into the right position, before turning towards Rainbow Dash.

"Sorry Rainbow, you know I didn't mean that. But, you know it's such a big responsibility to be a mother. Instead of just, you know, living your own life, you're suddenly responsible for two," Twilight placed a hoof over Rainbow's muscular body, attempting to hug her, "and you're so young, and have so many plans. What about the Wonderbolts? What about the weather patrol? Would you even have the time to do such a thing?"


It were all questions that Rainbow Dash obviously haven't given much thought. She just thought of adding Scootaloo to her family would be awesome. She knew she cared much more than she should for the little filly, and the last time she was with her, it became clear just how much, and how much the two were alike. Rainbow Dash hadn't known her parents either, but had found a wonderful foster family of pegasi that she knew loved her very much, and did to this day. The cyan mare also remembered how, when she was Scootaloo's age, wasn't affected at all by the fact she was an orphan. Almost recklessly, the younger version of the flier seemed to have cared close to naught about her unknown family, with an attitude towards it that was more like 'their loss' more than hers. But even though she hadn't been bothered about her family in her younger years, she had wondered more and more about it as she progressed into her late teens, and young adulthood. Not so much that she was on the verge of tears when she thought about it, but more like a 'what if' sort of situation.

What if I hadn't come to Ponyville? What if I had never met my friends?

Nonetheless, Rainbow Dash seemed to recognize, that what was occasionally tormented her at this age, was tormenting Scoootaloo now. Rainbow Dash had matured enough to know that there were 5 ponies, and possibly more that cared, maybe even loved her, and that was all she needed to know, occasional thoughts and questions send towards her own unknown family, or not.

"Just for the record, you aren't pregnant, are you?"

Rainbow Dash grinned, before shaking her head. Twilight Sparkle let out a sigh of relief, causing the cyan mare next to her to bump into her in playful anger.

"Rainbow, I know you'll be one of the greatest mothers in Equestria. When the time comes, you'll dedicate yourself fully to your foals, and they will be just as amazing as you are," the librarian winked, "maybe even more."

"Yeah, right!" the cyan mare scoffed, styling her chromatic mane into the usual do.

"What do you need it for anyway?" Twilight asked, before she mumbled something about foal care being under 'F', letting out a loud 'Aha!' as she found what she needed.

Rainbow Dash quickly snatched the book out of Twilight's hoofs, and replied just as fast.

"Ohnothingspecialseeyoulaterbye!" she exclaimed, rapidly unlocking the closest window, and flying out of the library with great velocity.

The lavender mare shook her head, and returned to her previous chores of organizing her beloved home and library. With her usual magic, Twilight grabbed some more books, and put them into their correct places.

"As long as she ain't pregnant..." she muttered under her breath.

"Who's pregnant?"

The sound of the baby dragon behind her, made Twilight drop the levitating books yet again, being the first thing she noticed this time around.

"Spike! How did you get in here?!" Twilight asked, groaned in annoyance at the books around her.

"With the key?", he asked, waving the device in his hands, before asking again, "who's pregnant? I saw Rainbow Dash flying out of here, really fast too!"

Twilight Sparkle held a hoof to the baby dragons mouth, gently shh'ing at him.

"She isn't pregnant!" she hissed.

"Riiiiight. I'm gonna go have some gems, see you later!"

Spike quickly made his way into the kitchen, saliva already gathering in his fanged mouth at the mere thought. Twilight let out a sigh, and hoped that the dragon would forget what he had heard her say.

If she only knew.


Hey everyone - this was a bit of a rushed chapter, in all honesty. I wasn't really sure what direction the story would be going until now, so it took me awhile to figure that out. Now that I, somewhat, got an idea of where it's going, chapters will hopefully flow more easily. :)