• Published 16th Apr 2015
  • 610 Views, 8 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Adventures of the Book of Virtue - ColossalGX



The course of the FIM series changes with a new arrival to Ponyville before it all began...

  • ...
5
 8
 610

An Apple a Day

Author's Note:

My Little Pony: FIM-Hasbro
Please Read and Review.

"Wanna try explaining to me again?" New Moon snapped, "I don't believe a word of it!"

"What's not to believe!" Omni, who walked beside him, asked, "It's simple logic!"

"Logic?! You should know how to use your hooves like everypony else! How could you not hold objects with them?!"

"Uh, do you have to ask? Look!" Omni stood up and clopped his hooves together, "Solid stuff! No thumbs! How's someone supposed to hold stuff with these?"

"Omnifarious, if you haven't learned already then… Uh-uh. Look," when they reached Sweet Apple's farm, they found something among the cattle that doesn't belong. It was red with wings, and sneaking between the cows. Eventually the two ponies went over the fence and caught up to it, "What do you think you're doing!"

Faiz jumped when New Moon caught his attention, "Whoa! Don't get up behind me like that! You scared the $#!% outta me! And almost the cows!"

"What are you doing here anyway!" New Moon demanded, "And what's in that box?!"

Faiz shifted his eyes, "Well…"

"Dammit! You're trying to tip those cows again!"

Omni raised an eyebrow, "Tipping cows?"

"No. No, this is gonna work! This plan's foolproof!" Faiz said.

"Faiz, the last hair-brained scheme to thought up backfired on you!" New Moon argued, "Didn't you learn you lesson from the last time?"


Faiz snuck into the Apple family farm that night and put this urban legend to the test. At first he tried to just push them but it was like pushing down nailed-down tables. Then he tried one other thing he was told would work. He went under one of the cows and fondled her utter. Faiz was then pulled out moments later and tossed in front of another cow staring at him. The cow pointed over his shoulder and Faiz looked back.

"Should've kept your hooves to yourself, &%$hole." The lead bull scowled before beating the crap out of him.


"Hey, my informant said that would sweep any brood off their feet. Anyway just trust me on this; this'll work! And lucky you, you two will my eyewitnesses!" Faiz set the box down and opened it, "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who's world-famous for tipping cows; and he mailed me the ultimate instrument of cow-tipping! Now watch and be amazed!" Omni face faulted when Faiz pulled out a baby's rattle.

But New Moon seemed to think otherwise as he panicked, "Faiz, don't you dare! That thing will—"

The result of Faiz shaking the rattle was unlike anything Omni seen before. The cows suddenly went mooing at random, the sound they're making made them appeared hysterical and scared. They went running all over the place, leaving the ponies stuck in the middle of the cattle field. Omnifarious thought of only one way out without getting trampled, and latched onto the back of a random cow. The only thing he could do is hold tight as the cows broke through the fence and ran out of the farm, leaving New Moon and Mach Faiz miraculously unharmed.

Faiz still lied on his stomach and propped his head up with one of his hooves, "Why do all beautiful thing end up neglecting me?"

"Because you always have to test everything like an idiot! Now come on!" New Moon yanked Faiz to his feet and dragged him off the farm to follow the stampede.


Omnifarious held on to dear life ontop of the lead of the herd as it raced down the road. He could see them heading towards the stream, with the town just a bridge over. What would happen if the herd would stomp into Ponyville…?!

"Yee-haw!" a southern hoot caught Omni's attention and looked back to find Applejack charging up next to the heard, with her a brown-and-white dog. "Move aside, Winona," the dog barked and dropped back, only to pull back up at the opposite side of the herd. Applejack nudged the cow beside her but wouldn't budge; so she called out her dog with a whistle, "Winona, put 'em up!" the nimble canine leap up with a bark and made her way from one broad to another with her owner not far behind, now ahead of the heard.

Applejack twirled a lasso with her teeth and tossed it over around the lead cow's neck. Leaping to the ground, she pulled mightily. With the help of her dog barking at the leading cow, they were able to steer the herd away from the bride. Digging her hooves in, Applejack managed to stop the heard at the edge of the stream, and threw the rope away afterwards. "Now what was that all about?"

"Excuse me; pardon me…" New Moon came in dragging Faiz by the tail, "Faiz has something important he needs to tell him. Don't you, Faiz?"

"Yeah, well, what I wanted to say was… You should keep a closer eye on your cattle—"

WHAP! "Try again."

"Alright, fine! Just put up a stronger fence next ti—"

WHAP! "Try, again."

"Okay, okay! …Don't do drugs."

"Son of a—Faiz brought a rattle to the fields and cause the stampede!"

"That was you?!" Applejack went up to Faiz, "They might've thought it was a rattlesnake! Did 'ya even think of the consequences this time?"

"Jeez, one little mistake," Faiz rolled his eyes, "How many time do I have to say I'm sorry?"

"Once would be nice!"

"Mmmmmm… Nope." He then turned around and trotted away.

"Faiz! Where d'ya think you're going?! Come back here!"

"Can't talk! Gotta see a man about a goat!"

Faiz darted into the sky before anyone could say anything, even knocking into the white Pegasus from chapter 1. He was that close to being knocked off the cloud he was napping in, now hanging for dear life. " %$DAMMIT, FAIZ! AGAIN!" he yelled after the red Pegasus.


Back at the town the citizens cheered after watching Applejack's feat. "Applejack was just... just..."

"Appletastic!" Pinkie Pie finished for the Mayor.

"Exactly. We must do something to thank Applejack for single-hoofedly saving the town."

"I know…"


"A party!" everyone gathered at the pavilion for Applejack's celebration.

"She stood motionless in the street all week just to say that?" Faiz questioned. WHAP!

"Less talking, more working!" New Moon ordered Faiz back into cleaning.

"We all ready?" Twilight asked.

"Just one last thing…" Rarity levitated a large banner onto town hall's third-floor balcony, "Now we're ready."

"Is Applejack all set?"

"Actually, I haven't seen her all week." Rainbow said, joining in.

"Not since the stampede." Pinkie added.

"But she'll be here for sure. Applejack is never late."


A few minutes later, everyone gathered at the hall's pavilion, where Twilight stepped up to a lectern set up in front of the doors. "Welcome, everypony! Today we are here to honor a pony we can always count on to help in matters great and small. A pony whose contributions to—"

"Did you see Applejack's slick moves out there?!" Rainbow barged in, "What an athlete. This week she's gonna help me with my new flying trick, and I know it's gonna be so awesome."

Twilight shoved him back, "Exactly. And..."

"This week, I get to run Sugarcube Corner for the first time!" Pinkie popped up.

"What does that have to do with Applejack?" Pinkie asked, annoyed.

"Oh. Applejack, one of the best bakers ever, is gonna help me! Applejack makes everything great, so free samples for everypony!" the crowd cheered.

"Oh-kay, that's great," Twilight dryly pushed her aside, "Now if I could just make a point without being inter—"

"Twilight?"

"-rupted."

Twilight, I'm so sorry," Fluttershy whispered, "but I just wanted to mention that Applejack is also helping me this week with the official bunny census, where we count up all the new baby bunnies that were born this season. She's gonna help gather them using her wonderful herding skills." She then cringed and slid away.

"Anyone else? Anyone? No?" Twilight cleared her throat, "Well then, as I was trying to say—"

"GET OFF THE STAGE!" Faiz yelled from under the crowd.

"Never mind!"

The unicorn groaned and stomped from the podium, letting the mayor take her and cleared her throat, "And so, with no further ado, it is my privilege to give the prize, Pony of Ponyville Award, to our beloved guest of honor, a pony of the utmost trustworthiness, reliability, and integrity. Ponyville's most capable and dependable friend: Applejack!" everyone cheered as the curtains opened, only to gasp when there was no one there. It took spike a few moments to catch up.

"Ah'm here! Ah'm here!" a pile of apples made their way through the crowd, a few falling behind before Applejack thrust her face to the Mayor's as she stepped into the lectern. The cowgirl looks like she's seen better days, "Miss Mayor. Thank you kindly for this here... award thingy," she stepped over and looked over to her trophy, giggling at the distorted reflection it showed her, "It's so bright and shiny and, heh, heh heh, ah sure do look funny." She made noises as she moved her face around, Pinkie Pie soon playing along.

A confused Twilight cut in, "Okay. Well, thank you Applejack for saving us from that scary stampede, and always being there for everypony."

"Yeah. Ah like helping the ponyfolks and… and stuff…" Applejack dozed before she shook herself awake, "Oh, uh, yeah. Uh, Thanks." She then dragged herself away with the giant trophy in her teeth.


Later, there was a knock on the door, where Omnifarious answered, seeing Big Macintosh on the other side. "May ah come in?" he moved aside to let the large red stallion in, finding a patch of bandages around his waist as he walked by.

"What happened to you?" Omni asked.

"What ah need from you's a little bigger than me…" Macintosh said, "I want to talk to you 'bout Applejack."

"Well, she did look like she haven't slept in a while…"

"That's the problem. You see, it's come this time of year when we harvest our apples to sell. But we've gotten a little short-hoofed. In fact, Applejack's stuck doing all the work alone," Macintosh looked back at his injuries, "And as you can see ah'm in no condition to help…"

"Isn't there anyone else that could help?" Omni asked, "What about your relatives? Or Boomhauer? I've seen him around the farm plenty of time!"

"All mah other relatives are busy with their own orchids all around Equestria. As for Boomhauer…"


"Boomhauer…? Boomhauer, we talked 'bout this! You can't go anywhere, especially when it's—" after bumping into a tripwire, McIntosh looked up to find himself standing over a spring-loaded trap armed with a pony-sized flyswatter! "Oh mah—" WHAP! "Ack!"


"Whoa… That must've hurt."

"Not much, but now ah can't help Applejack; not that she wants help at all."

"But she couldn't harvest all those apple by herself, can she?"

"That's the problem: she can't. But she thinks she has to prove something. Ah'm worried she'll hurt herself. Ah was hoping you could talk her out of what she's gotten herself into."

"But why me?"

"You helped out at th' farm a few time before. Ah figured who better than you?"

"I understand. I'll go talk to her. I think you should go back home and rest."

"Alright, thanks." Macintosh left the library with Omnifarious, just when a rainbow-colored streak crashed into the treehouse, making a large hole in the bathroom with the tub dangerously close to the edge.

"What the %*&$?!" New Moon screamed as the tub started to slide to the edge, "No, no, no, no, NOOOOO—" was all he sad before he crashed into the ground under the broken shards of the tub.


Well, that was a waste of time. Omni walked all the way to the orchids only to find out she wasn't even there. He went back to town and asked around until he was lead to the cake shop he was in two weeks ago. Unfortunately Faiz just happened to be hovering around. "How's it going, Omni?"

Omnifarious groaned, "Not him again…"

"Geez, attitude much? Just wanna get those free samples Pinkie promised!"

Omni ignored the red Pegasus as they entered and tapped on the bell on the counter, where Pinkie Pie popped up from behind. "Can I help you?"

"Yeah, is Applejack here with you?" Omni asked, "I'd like to talk to her."

"Sure! Be right back!" Pinkie disappeared under the counter.

"Hey Omni, if you don't want yours, can I have it?"

"No." Omni flatly replied. A few moments after Applejack came stumbling out from the back. "Applejack? …You feeling okay?"

"Never better…" Applejack mumbled, her head bobbing, "Wh-wait, why'd you ask?"

"Well, Big McIntosh came by earlier and—"

"McIntosh sent you?!" Applejacks baggy eyes widened, "Ah should've known he couldn't mind his own business…"

"Yeah, well, anyway, he told me you don't have anyone to help you harvest so—"

"Look! Ah'm gonna tell you what ah told Mack and Twilight—"

"Over here."

"Oh…" Applejack backed away from Faiz to face Omni, "And I'm gonna say it once so listen up: Ah don't want your help and I don't need you, or anyone's help! So get in mah face about that again and so help me ah'll—ZZZZZZ, ZZZZZZ, ZZZZZZ, ZZZZZZ, ZZZZZZ—" her eyes shot back open when Faiz poked at her, "Wha! Huh? …(sigh)Look, ah appreciate your help, but that's not really necessary. Now if you excuse me, ah still have—OW!" she shook off her throbbing head after running it into the doorsill, "If you don't mind, ah still have loads of trees to take care of…" she stumbled her way out the door.

"Hey, I wasn't gonna say anything…" Faiz stepped in, "But Applejack looks a bit tired."

"You think?" Omni glared at him in sarcasm. There was a small ding from the back of the room and Pinkie Pie poked her head through the back door.

"Muffins ready!" Pinkie looked around, "Where's Applejack?"

"She left."

"Oh! Well, so long as you're here, want some free samples?"

"I do!" Faiz jumped over Omni and ran into the back with Omni trotting behind.

In the kitchen, Omni gathered with Faiz near the counter to get their goods. Omni looked over and found a mixing bowl next to the sink. He figured he'd get something extra so he snuck over. But when he looked into the bowl, he almost lost his lunch before he got it. Lucky for him the bowl was swiped from under him.

"Nuh-uh-uh! No naughty-noshing allowed!" Pinkie chirped as she cleaned out the bowl.

Omni tried to keep from vomiting as he looked over to the counter. There was an open bag of chips, half a liter of soda, a couple wedges of lemons and… He could've sword there are a couple of worms crawling on the counter! "Uh, what exactly are you making?"

"Chocolate Chip Muffins!" Pinkie replied.

Omni's eyes widened. "What about that bowl you're cleaning?!"

"That's what I used to make the Chocolate Chip Muffins!"

"And where exactly are the Chocolate Chip Muffins?!"

"Right over there on that counter!"

Omni's shot over to the counter and found a tray of brownish muffins, one which is in Faiz' hoof about to be bitten into.

"FAIZ! WAIT!"

CHOMP!


"So is he going to be okay?" Omni asked.

"He's still a little queasy," the doctor reported without talking his eyes off the clipboard, "It looks like he at something that a pony should never, ever eat… What did he eat?"

"Uhh, I think he took a bite our of a Chocolate Chip Muffin; except instead of chocolate chips maybe there were potato chips, and I think the flour been mistakenly replaced by lemons and the baking soda cut out with carbonated soda... Oh, and I think there were earthworms instead of wheat germs."

"Oh!" the doctor grimaced in surprise, "Well, this may be a problem. He'll seriously need to have his stomach pumped. I'll give you two some time alone…"

"What just happened…?" Faiz groaned over his upset stomach.

"Remember that muffin you ate?" Omni said, "You might've gotten food poisoning."

"Poisoning?! Ugh! Why does it have to be me?! On Free Day of all days?!"

"Want me to stay with you while you get your stomach pumped?"

Faiz smiled weakly, "Nah, you don't have to do that. It's gonna take me a few days to get back on my hooves. And between you and me…" his eyes shifted back and forth, "I need to lay low for a while until the bulls calm down"

A few clicks from outside the 4th floor window caught Omni and Faiz attention. Omni opened the window and looked around, "HEY! DOWN HERE!" he looked down to see a herd of bull gathered under the window with bats dangling in their hooves. "YOU GOT A RED PEGASUS IN THERE WITH YA?!"

"Who's asking?!" Omni shouted back.

"TELL 'IM WE'LL BE WAITING FOR HIM FOR ROUND 2! WE'LL BE HERE ALL 'TIL THEN!"

Omni didn't respond, and just slammed the window in front of him.


The blue stallion couldn't help but think about Applejack as he walked from the hospital (from the back to avoid the bulls) on his way back to Ponyville. She sure didn't look so good since he saw her at that award thing. And from how she was looking back at the shop, it looks like McIntosh wasn't exaggerating when he said she needs help. All that work must be cutting into her sleep time. Maybe he should try again and talk Applejack out of trying to do everything by herself… What the…

What Omni's looking at isn't the weirdest thing he ever saw but it's close. Right in front of him was the town, overrun by rabbits! Everywhere he looked they were hopping around, munching on whatever they found edible. What's even more strange was a few ponies lying around the road as if they were trampled. What could've caused this?

"One problem at a time, Omni!" the blue pony decided to shake away the scene and hurry to Applejack's farm.


After searching around the orchids, Omnifarious finally found the orange pony at the base of a tree, kicking it a lot weaker than he thought she would. Must… keep… buckin'... just… a few… more," she wheezed over each kick, "Must finish harvestin'."

"Applejack, can we talk for a minute?" Omni asked.

"Ah'm a little busy right now." Applejack groaned.

"Because, um, this is very important and it really can't wait."

"Well, there's a whole lotta apples to buck down," she limped away to another tree, "so yeah, it really can't wait."

Annoyed he was ignored, Omni zipped into Applejack's direction, "I saw a whole bunch of rabbits hopping around in town where they're not wanted. Do you know anything about that?"

"Oh that. Ah was helping Fluttershy with some 'rabbit census'," Applejack scowled and walked past him, "Apparently those furry critters can't take a few simple orders…"

"Applejack, I really think you should take a break from this harvest. It's must really be tiring you out from the lack of sleep!"

"Ah'll catch some shut-eye…" Applejack grunted as she weakly kicked another tree, "When ah buck each and every tree out here!"

"Seriously, all this working day in and day out isn't healthy! And trying to help people the way you are is just making things worst!"

"You're pullin' my leg, right?" Applejack moved to another tree.

"Applejack, Faiz got food poisoning earlier from a muffin that you helped make!"

"It's not exactly mah fault! I didn't think puttin' worms in muffins was a good idea either! Ah was just going by what Pinkie Pie told me to put in. So put it up with her!"

"This isn't helping any, Applejack! Just get some rest and let someone else handle this!"

"McIntosh's injured and Boomhauer's run off to who-knows-where! They're the only ones who can get these apples down fast enough like ah can!"

"Then you'll need all the help you can get; not one pony can harvest all those trees, especially not you!"

Omni was stopped when Applejack shot her nose against his, her baggy eyes glaring at him, "Can't you just forget 'bout it! It's not your business anyway!"

"I'm only trying to help…"

"Well, don't! Ah can handle this by myself!" Omni stood as the orange pony stomped away pulling a wagon full of apple-filled baskets. It's hard to believe that Applejack could be this stubborn, That doesn't matter; whatever she's trying to prove, it's not worth working herself to the bone. So it's time to take this to the next level. Omni trotted over the wagon and, tossed out one of the baskets, "Hey, what do you think you're doing?! Cut that out!" but Omni ignored her as he threw out the last basket and stepped onto the wagon, "Omnifarious, this isn't funny!"

"Listen, haven't you heard of the saying 'No Man's an Island?" Omni asked sternly.

Applejack latched off of the wagon to face Omni again, "Haven't you ever heard of 'Nopony sits on my wagon'?!"

"I'm not gonna let you wear yourself out doing the impossible! You can't do this by yourself!"

"Ah can and ah will as soon as you step off mah wagon and let me do mah job!"

"Look! Even if you can harvest an entire orchid by yourself, if you couldn't get one pony to get off the back of their wagon, what makes you think you can take care of a whole apple farm by yourself!" Applejack's anger vanished as she backed away with her mouth agape. She turned away hanging her head low, her ears seen folded against her. With a sigh, he slipped out of her saddle that carried two extra baskets. Omnifarious suddenly felt bad, and wondered if he was too tough on her. But unexpectedly, Applejack strapped herself back to the wagon.

"Fine! But don't say you didn't ask for this!" The cowpony neighed and fiercely tugged on the wagon. Omnifarious suddenly found himself hanging on to the wagon as he's being pulled across the orchid, "You wanna see if ah could get one pony off my wagon? Well let me show you!" Applejack swerved from an incoming tree and slammed the wagon against its trunk.

Even as Omni recovered from the force of the impact, he still clung onto the wagon. "You're not gonna get anything from this, Applejack!"

"Wanna bet?! You ain't seen nothin' yet!" Applejack repeated the process again and again, slamming into tree after tree as she zipped between them across the farm, knocking down many apples from the impact. The wagon began to rock the faster she went; and the faster she went, the harder it got to hold on to the wagon, and the more it hurts every time he went against a tree, "GET! OUTTA! MY! CART!" eventually, Applejack was tired out, gasping for breath with Omnifarious.

"See…I told you…" Omni panted, "Now do you understand…?" he waited until Applejack settle down, her hat covering her face. It looks like he finally got through to her.

"Are you kidding? Ah'm just getting started…" Applejack stood up, "Ah hope you're ready for one more ponyride!" she then went speeding across through the trees, in a straight path to accelerate her speed. Omni looked over head and saw they're heading straight for a far away tree! If she keeps that pace and runs into that… "Last chance, Omnifarious!" unfortunately, Omni hung on to avoid breaking something, not that it make any difference, "Fine! Remember, you've been warned!" the blue pony held tight as the headed straight for that tree there. As there were just a few yards between them and closing, Omni shut his eyes and braced for impact.

"STOP!" there was a bright light and suddenly Twilight stood in the way. That was the excuse Omni waited for and Applejack dug her hooves into the dirt to brake herself; but they were going too fast. Twilight jumped out of the way right before the two earth ponies crashed into the tree…

"Applejack… Applejack…" The first to regain consciousness was Applejack, Twilight Sparkle standing down over her, "Oh, good, you're okay," Twilight sighed in relief before scowling down at her, "Now Applejack, I completely respect the Apple family ways. You're always there to help any pony in need, so maybe you can put a little of your stubborn pride aside and allow your friends to help you.

"…Okay, Twilight." The cowpony finally groaned.

"I am not taking 'no' for an answer-what?"

"Yes, Twilight. Yes, please. Ah could really use your help."

Twilight chuckled in solace, "C'mon, Applejack. You're long-due for a rest." Using her magic, she gently lifted the tired pony onto her back and walked her off the farm to her home.

"What about me? I need help too!" Omni whimpered, lying on the ground around the remains of the shattered wagon. "Twilight…? Anybody…?! …Don't mind me; I'll just lay here in agony… Heeeeeelp…!"


As Applejack slept like a log, Twilight and her four other pony friends gathered and pitched in to harvest the rest of the apple trees. Even New Moon, who checked out of the hospital with a clean bill, is glad to help out. It's hard work but took little effort as the finally plucked the orchid clean of apples.

"How about y'all take a little break? Ah got some fine apple juice waitin' for ya!" A healthy Applejack came by at a picnic table, offering a tray of juice boxes, "Ah can't thank you enough for this help. Ah was acting a bit stubborn."

"Well, you poisoned Faiz, started a rabbit stampede, and I was left on my back because no one bothered to help me to the hospital!" a pain-wracked Omni cursed before he was whacked upside the head, "OW!"

"It's you own fault, Omnifarious," New Moon scowled, "Maybe next time you'll think twice about taking matters into your own hands. Besides, some of us had to focus on one problem at a time."

"Okay. A mite stubborn," Applejack blushed, "and ah'm awful sorry. Now, ah know the town gave me the Prized Pony award, but the real award is having you five as my friends.

Rainbow wiped his brow, "That applebucking sure made me hungry."

"And I've got the perfect treat." Spike began handing over a handful of muffins, first one going to Omni.

"Oh, thanks, I haven't had a bite all day."

"OMNI, NO!"

CHOMP!


Omni's thrown into an ambulance and rushed to the hospital.


Under the empty treehouse, the Book of Virtues had long since opened by itself. Behind the first page etched a new one:

Dear Princess Celestia,

My friend Applejack is the best friend a pony could ever have, and she's always there to help any pony. The only trouble is, when she needs help, she finds it hard to accept it, so while friendship is about giving of ourselves to friends, it's also about accepting what our friends have to offer.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle

And over the headlines was one word: Cooperation


Epilogue:

Far from Ponyville, Boomhauer stood lazily over a fence drinking with his buddies.

"Yep."

"Yep."

"Yep."

"Mmhm-OOMPH!" He's knocked off the fence and onto the dirt, when he got a surprise visit for a very-pissed Applejack, "Okay! Okay, Applejack, wait! Jus' lemmiex 'plain-" he didn't get the chance as he was dragged away by the tail.

"YOU! MUST'VE! LOST! YOUR! MIND!" She screamed as she beat him with a crop. "YOU! DO NOT! SKIP OUT! ON! YOUR! JOB!"

...

"Yep."

"Yep."

"Yep."